Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    I was over at VWVortex and was doing some reading and several people were talking about a diverter valve. Since I am about the farthest thing from a auto mechanic, what is it, what does it do, and why do people want to change it?

Also, in regard to the colors, I also did not like the "tan" interior. Of course, as other people have also mentioned, I have the Mojave Beige with the grey interior which takes some getting used to. I just washed it last night and I think it looks great. I would have preferred the silver blue with grey or corrada red with grey but trying to find a 1.5 with the turbo and a 5 speed without leather was difficult.
  • telainetelaine Member Posts: 29
    I have the Silverstone gray with gray interior and I think it looks great. I've seen the Silverstone gray with beige interior and I think the interior looks too bright for the car. It really isn't the best color combination in my opinion. I think the beige looks better with the Mojave Beige and the Frisco Green. But if you like it, it doesn't matter what others think unless you plan to sell the car in a few years.

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the walnut trim. I noticed the door handle on the passenger side has a weird appearance - it looks like it's smudged or fogged up. Either this is a recent occurence or I just didn't pay attention before. It's very rare that I have passengers, so I don't think it's from human hand contact. I haven't tried any type of cleaner yet. Any suggestions?

One more thing, I don't have a sunvisor extension either (post 1386). I read about it and it was confusing. I have homelink on the visor, but no type of device that will extend the visor to eliminate more sun.
  • hk6hk6 Member Posts: 6
    Beige interior looks really good on fresco green exterior
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Try a little bit of *Goo Gone*... During shipping those door handles are
    wrapped with tape and what you are seeimg is a bit of residue...should
    have been attended to before delivery, but will clean up with ease.

Extender is above and in front of your rear view mirror...
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I thought the "old" beige was too light, the "new" beige" is practically yellow to my eye. To each tier own though.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I live in Florida and wanted a dark interior in my 2000 Passat - I tinted the windows with the lightest tint level and always use a good silver reflective windshield shade whenever I park, even if it's just for a few minutes. I have the luxury package as well and leave the rear window shade up all the time in the summer. These measures made a huge difference in interior heat. My dark interior stays a lot cooler than a beige interior that isn't protected.

The silver reflective windshield shade is really important no matter what your interior color is since the top of the Passat dash is always black and soaks up an increadable amount of heat.
  • mtwallacemtwallace Member Posts: 28
    Add me to the list of those who think the tan is UGLY! Too bright. I thought the black was too dark - would never find anything I dropped on the floor! The grey is just right and looks very nice with the indigo blue exterior.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    In addition to vwguild's items, there's probably a $100 dealer association fee for advertising.
  • venanzikvenanzik Member Posts: 72
    I would like to know if anyone has recently used this plan through vw. or knows more about it. Are there any disadvantages to be aware of? How are the payments figured out? I posted questions on this once before in other places but didnt seem to get any responses. i was planning on leasing or using the buyers option on a new passat..thanks for your time..
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Still can't find the visor extension. What exactly is it? I looked above and in front of the rear view mirror. Is it possible it isn't on my model, .5 GLX? Also, as long as we're talking colors, has anyone ever seen an ink blue?
  • ulurutechulurutech Member Posts: 6
    Another question is the in-dash CD. A lot of posts have stated that the in-dash CD is not available. All the dealers I've talked to have that as a "dealer option". One dealer told me that I can install the in-dash CD and still add the CD changer too if I want that later on.

Dealer BS or is the "in-dash CD" they're offering not worth the $$$ I'll pay.

Diane
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Of course the dealer can add the single CD in dash or changer in trunk. It's just that the 2002 models are supposed to eventually have the in-dash as standard. The dealer can add other items including wood trim (which is somewhat different then the trim that comes standard with the V6), as well as a rear spoiler. No B.S.
  • clscflmclscflm Member Posts: 71
    carnut1 -- I've seen exactly one Ink Blue 2001.5 in the LA area, which looked *very* elegantly spiffy with the new tail lights and chrome trim. The one that looks really top notch (even to someone who prefers Color -- and avoids trends)is the 2001.5 Silverstone Grey. Unfortunately don't see many 2001.5s at all really (seen one Black, one Pine Green and two hideous Candy Whites). All the 2001s that I see are white, silver and more white. Ick. One glorious Colorado Red I see on my block regularly; would love to see that with the new trim. But really, if Passats are fairly rare in a town where the major form of life is the auto, Passats in Color are all the rarer still. Which is why I can't wait to get mine... Hope you see an Ink Blue. Its sharp.
    VWguild you are great. This evening after spending, X # of hours, (I won't tell how many)
    I discovered the elusive "sunvisor extension". It's very much of nothing. What I found is nothing more than a approx. 1 1/2" x 7" strip of beige plastic that folded down above the rear view mirror. Is this it or another treasure hunt?
    I wish you were able to help my dealer search out why my A/C isn't cold enough. Move east.
    In my experience that is always where the sun shines...no pun intended!

As to moving back East...probably not...grew up in Essex County, spent 9
    years in Virginia at school, and lived for years on Beekman Place. You still get
    snow & stuff back there? If so, I'll guide you all from my little shack on the Beach
    out here...

Please feel free to email me, and we can talk through the AC issue!!!
  • ulurutechulurutech Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to all for the great info that is availble here. I was able to go to the dealer and know if I was getting a good deal or not.

I was able to get a GLX.5 4-motion with the color and interior I wanted for $28,500 (not counting tax and lic) which is actually below invoice. That's pretty rare here in the Northern Cal/Bay area region. It wasn't the ever popular Silver that you see everywheere here but I didn't want that color anyway.

They were offering the 4-Motion for less than the 2WD loaded GLX. Since I wanted the 4-Motion anyway....

Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I love my car!! Now to go out and buy the add on toys...

Diane
  • tvmomtvmom Member Posts: 12
    (Posted this on the "Smart Shopper" board, but maybe I'll get more response here.........

I obviously have a few questions:
    1. On June 25 in Phila. suburb, purchased 2001.5 GLX Auto Passat, blue silver, black leather(beauty!). Total cost with tax, etc: $26,829.74. This was with $700 over invoice of $28,004, trade-in of '94 Ford Explorer XLT 4wd (86,200+ miles)of $3,500 (it needed some mechanical work). Good deal? Honest invoice price?

2. Should I purchase an extended warrantee through VW or elsewhere-- via the internet?

3. Should I have the 6 cd changer installed by VW or go elsewhere?

Any opinions or personal experiences welcome!
    PS...I absolutely LOVE my car and hope to drive it for MANY years! After 30 years of driving wagons, vans & suv's...I feel like I'm REALLY driving now!! :)
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    Yesterday, VW annonced that starting this sales month all 2002 VW's will come with a 4yr 50,000 mile warranty. Below is the news artical...

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., July 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Volkswagen of America, Inc. announced a new vehicle warranty available on all 2002 Volkswagen models that begin arriving at U.S. dealerships this month and throughout the summer and fall. Volkswagen said it based its new warranty for the 2002 model year on customer research and feedback, creating a more optimal warranty focused on providing even better comprehensive coverage for today's Volkswagen customer.

For the 2002 model year, all new Volkswagen vehicles will come standard with an increased four-year/50,000 mile (whichever occurs first) bumper-to- bumper warranty, up from two years/24,000 miles. The warranty covers wear- and-tear items and adjustments during the initial 12 months or 12,000 miles of ownership.

In addition, Volkswagen will offer a fully transferable limited powertrain warranty that covers five years or 60,000 miles (previously 10 years/100,000 miles, but transferable only from the original retail owner to a family member).

``Volkswagen's previous Protection Plus Warranty, which was the first of its kind in the industry when we launched it some six years ago, has offered many customers benefits -- especially to those owners who plan to own a Volkswagen for many years to come,'' said Frank Maguire, vice president in charge of sales and marketing. ``We want to be responsive to our customers and research tells us the new 4/50 offers what today's buyer expects from a premium warranty. It reflects our commitment to meeting the evolving preferences of our customers.''

Volkswagen's new warranty plan also includes the added security of a four- year/50,000 mile, 24-hour roadside assistance program (increased from 2001's two-year term).

Exceptional corrosion perforation coverage remains 12 years with no mileage limit for all fully-galvanized Volkswagen vehicles (Cabrio covered for six years, Eurovan for eight years.)

Founded in 1955, Volkswagen of America, Inc. is headquartered in Auburn Hills, Michigan, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. As America's top-selling European brand, Volkswagen markets a full line of vehicles through a network of some 600 dealers in the United States.

SOURCE: Volkswagen of America, Inc.
  • ferris11ferris11 Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I am in the Air Force and will be moving to Europe in a few months. I am definitely going to buy a VW Passat. If I take a new VW to Europe, I've heard rumor that US warranties are not valid in Europe...is this true? I've been in contact with Volvo and if I bring a US spec car to Europe the warranty will be 12mos/Unlimited miles, but when I return, the original warranty is in effect. Does anybody know about this for VW. Thank you very much.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I'm 99% sure that your US warranty will NOT be honored in EU, where only the EU warranty applies, whatever that is at the moment. As far as I know, no EU manufacturer who sells in the US will honor a US warranty anywhere but North America...nothing unique about VW here.

If the car was purchased here, then yes, upon your return, whatever time and mileage are left on the North American warranty would presumably still apply...again, Guild or some other insider should confirm this for you, but that is my understanding.
    jrct9454,

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help...your post confirms my beliefs. Does anybody know the mos/miles for the EU warranty if I bring a US spec, new Passat to Europe?
    Guild, do you know? Thanks.
  • lincoln355lincoln355 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for posting VW's intention to extend their warranty for their 2002 vehicles. I read several posting regarding the reliability of the Passant at 5K,10K,15K etc. My driving distance per year averages 35K miles. Is their any road warriors out there that can attest to the 1.8T GLS stamina over 50K miles. Your responses are critical to making a decision regarding the purchase of this vehicle.
    Happy trails.
  • wordsmith1wordsmith1 Member Posts: 1
    For those curious about the Ink Blue Passat, I saw one yesterday on a dealer lot and it's probably the most striking of all the colors -- extremely stylish, to the point where I'm now reconsidering my black or blue anthracite first choices. The swatch looked interesting in the brochure but it really has to be seen on the car to appreciate just how striking it is. Anyone shopping that's not afraid of bold color should consider it.

Questions: 1. I'm currently shopping for an auto 1.8T with leather. I've been told by several dealers that while it's near impossible to find a base model, it's completely impossible to find leather w/out the luxury package, short of a special order. I strolled through a dealer's off-premises "backlot" yesterday and of the 40 or Passats, every one had the lux package, so maybe this is not just a ruse to get another $1,300 or so out of me. Thoughts?

2. Any 1.8T owners find the engine underpowered? With passengers/full trunk?

3. Anyone ever seen a Fresco Green? I think that's the most obscure color.

Comments: The Blue Silver, which also seems rare, is quite nice as well.

Was checking out the interior in the Jetta vs. Passat. Interestingly, the beige, which simply does not work in the Passat IMHO, works quite well in the Jetta. We traced it to the fact that in the Jetta, the black from the dash extends further into the center console and shiftbox, to the point where I would personally consider beige interior in the Jetta.
  • cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    That was a great deal on your your 4motion. That car is definetly top drawer!
    Good news for VW on their annual surge of Passat sales, but does that mean 2002s will be pricier? I think vwguild (or someone else as well informed) suggested some posts back to an earlier query of mine (on Smart Shopper) that there was no info on price increase, but I'm wondering...Is 1-2% still possible? Re colors: I think I saw a Blue Anthracite 2001.5 yesterday and wow. VW offers some great color options and does more with silver/blue than anyone I've seen. More people should try the variety instead of all those boring whites. Everyone continues trashing the beige leather interior, but has anyone seen the combo with Colorado Red? Opinions? Should I ask? And finally -- is this a good weekend to venture to a dealer? I'm using Priceline for purchasing, but I want to test drive and look at those colors up close.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    It's about time...now I may consider a VW after all.
    No price increase on 02 Passat, even with new CD...No info on the rest of
    the carline....

Ferris...You've got mail...
    The Colorado Red and the Indigo Blue with "beige" leather look gorgeous and VERY RICH! As others have said, the beige is more of a butter color--luscious! If I didin't have children, I would have gotten a beige leather combo, but since the carpet is beige too---well, enough said! But I absolutely LOVE my Silver Blue with black leather! Only problem...the fabric parts are very atractive to lint or light fabric fuzz (I'll live!).
    I'm trying this again, since no previous response---Am I better off getting an extended warranty through VW or going elsewhere?
    --Better to get 6 CD changer bought & installed by VW or "after market"?
    Someone with experience, please comment/advise.
    Thanks!
    for your offer to assist. GLX goes to dealer tomorrow at 8am for a full day of A/C tests. The dealership has been very helpful; they even gave me a loaner for 17 days between my 1st and 2nd GLX. I recall you thought they should have been more careful about removing the covers on the shocks during prep. It's hard to be annoyed with them, I feel they go out of their way to be fair, but service area isn't very competent. Only a VW dealer for 3 years.
  • tellerteller Member Posts: 14
    I like everything about the 2001.5 Passat, with 2 exceptions-unavailability of Xenon headlamps or Electronic Stability Control (both $500 options in the A4). Is there any discussion of either of these being Passat options in 2002?
  • paulflanpaulflan Member Posts: 2
    My Alarm goes off randomly (usually at night-inconveniently!) for no apparent problem - not due to interference or wind - I brought the Car from the US to Ireland last year. My local VW dealer doesn't deal with alarms, sub-contracting the work to an alarm shop. However the alarm shop is reluctant to look at it as it's not one he has installed and moreover it's factory fitted. Does anyone have any ideas on what's causing this and how to fix, before my neighbors kill me ?
    I'll try the Goo Gone and see what happens on the walnut trim. I'll look for my extension about the rear-view mirror. Is it possible that I really don't have one? I'm usually pretty good at seeing these things.
    Found the extension. It's in the overhead control "module" against the front windshield for the sunroof/interior light on my 2001.5 GLS. It folds down to about an inch to cover the area above the rearview mirror.
    Thanks alot for the help. I'll definitely be getting the 02 now and will enjoy it for 2 yrs in Europe. Thanks for the suggestions.
    vr,
    Paulflan,

I had the exact same thing happen on a new Dodge 3 years ago. The alarm would go off at night on a random basis (home, hotels, etc). Anyway, the dealer tightened the hood latch bolts, which pulled the hood down tight. That fixed the problem..no repeats in 3 yrs. I don't know if this applies to the VW, but good luck.
    I'm no expert, but I'll try to help. Regarding extended warranty, the general consensus is to make sure you get VW Masterguard, only available through VW (see post 1307). There SEEM to be several other reputable companies that offer legitimate extended warranties, but I don't think I would stray from Masterguard unless I was saving a SIGNIFICANT amount of money. Go to the Finance, Warranty and Insurance message board and read through some of the topics there to get more information about these other companies.

CD Changer - I got the one installed by the dealer. It was pretty expensive, but works very nicely and I'm happy with it. My dad got one from a "big box" electronics store for a little less money, but he wasn't totally happy with the result. I felt like I had gotten a good enough deal on the price of the car to "splurge" for the CD changer.

Good luck!
    tvmom -- thanks for being the loan voice in the wilderness who appreciates the Colorado Red/beige combo! After years of dull grey or blue clothe interiors I need something different and plan to get it... I'll enjoy it for you!
  • chadanachadana Member Posts: 2
    Does the monsoon system come with the upgraded speakers that I see in the VW catalogue, or the standard speakers in every other VW car?
    Monsoon comes (are) the upgraded speakers.
    Does anyone know if VW takes their new models on tours of various cities, allowing people to see and drive the cars without sales pressure? I think Edmunds sponsored something like this last summer, with various participating car manufacturers, but I don't know if VW was part of that or offers their own -- or if this is being repeated. Does anyone know? Neither vw.com or Vortex seems to address this. I've attended one of these (not VW) and it was a wonderful way to explore the various models at leisure. Love to do that with a Passat.
    I'm jealous! Just saw one today at the dealer's (stopped to pick up something I left)---I still think the red is gorgeous! Also, in the video you get with your new car...guess what color combo is used? The Colorado red and beige butter look even better on the video! All the best to you!
    Thank you so much for your advice! I'll probably do the Masterguard AND get the changer through the dealer. Seems like less hassle in the long run! Meanwhile I'm thoroughly enjoying my Silver Blue with black leather and ALWAYS look forward to driving! It always seemed like a chore before!
    I have a V6 Indigo Blue that I got a month ago. I still find myself smiling while I drive because it's SO much fun, after driving a very slow Toyota wagon for 12 years. I haven't gotten the extended warranty yet, but I think I will just for the peace of mind. Plus, maybe it'll force me to keep up with ALL the suggested maintenance. (lol)
  • yoshiwyoshiw Member Posts: 7
    Should I wait for the new Passat 2002 model with the 4 year warranty and also if I should... Around when do you think they will be in the US?
  • chadanachadana Member Posts: 2
    The speakers removed from my car a black. The speakers in the VW catalogue have a yellow woofer. That's were I am confused. Because, if the yellow speakers in the VW catalogue are upgraded monsoons, then I was cheated. Chad
    I think sometimes after market products are slightly different. If the word "Monsoon" popped up on your radio display you weren't cheated.
  • gfish49366gfish49366 Member Posts: 7
    What should I expect to pay for the vw 6 disc changer?
    Thanks for helping me "see". I found the sunvisor extension. Is it me, or does it seem relatively useless? I tried it last night and there still is a gap between that and the other visor and rear view mirrow. I guess my expectation was for one of those extensions that slides out of the visor for a few more inches of sun blockage when you move the visor to the side window. Oh well. It may come in handy some day.
  • jager31jager31 Member Posts: 6
    Shoot me an e-mail, yours wasn't listed. I'm also in europe, Military. However, I'm buying my passat over here there is a dealer network that sells US spec VW's and a EU extended warranty is offered 5/50,000.