Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Know it sounds odd to base a buying decision on a $25-30,00 car over something like a CD player. My issue is a bit bigger than that. The 2001.5 doesn't have the 4/50 warranty. I won't buy a new car without a good warranty, like 4/50. 2/24 is ridiculously short for bumper-to-bumper. The lack of an in-dash CD adds to the problem.

A 2002 Passat V-6 with 4/50 and in-dash CD addresses the two biggest issues that have led me away from a Passat. It has the right outside size, interior space & trunk, price, mileage, safety equipment, transmission, etc. And the interior looks sharp. Too bad there is only 1 dealer within 150 miles. Actually buying one at a good price and getting decent trade in might end up being the biggest issue of all.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    It will be a std in dash CD player (not a changer) just like on the Audi A4. Agree about the cassette player - not sure why they even put them on upper end cars....no one uses cassettes anymore.....

Btw, you should find plenty of the 2002s with the 4/50 warranty....good luck!
    Forgot to mention - that's what I'm facing. Getting lowball offers on a very nice dealer- maintained '97 Volvo. Once they know a trade in is involved look out! I refuse to accept a low ball offer and have told salesman them that.
  • passitpassit Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2002 Passat GLX 5 spd manual with 6 CD changer in the Atlanta area. Not sure if I got a good deal, but they made me work for it just the same. I drove off for 30k total which included my 7% sales tax. Here are the details:

Passat Final

My cost $27,999
    Tax (7%) $1,960
    Other $41
    Total $30,000

Other costs
    Tag $20
    Title $18
    Lemon $3
    $41

The sticker on this car was $29,300 and, depending on which dealer you talk with, you'll hear prices for the CD changer in between $495 and $595.

The $27,999 includes the Passat, CD changer, destination, document fee, ad fee, port prep, and floor plan interest. Not sure how these costs really shake out since I bargained on the final drive out cost and let the dealer figure out how to split it.

I love the car and am very glad that I got it instead of a BMW or Audi. Seems like a much better value for what you pay and what you get. Drives great.
  • bitburgbitburg Member Posts: 15
    I am considering buying this car in a couple of months. How do you like it? I'm interested to know if the 4Motion makes a big difference. I guess you'll find out when it starts snowing, but under normal driving conditions do you notice that you have more control??
  • telainetelaine Member Posts: 29
    I've been following this Passat forum for a while. I purchased my 2001.5 GLX in April. I've been to the dealership since I bought the car and have not had some of the experiences I've read about. I was able to get an appointment for servicing within the week. I was in and out for my 5K maintenance in less than an hour. The dealership wasn't junky. The waiting area had decent space and was quite clean and comfortable. I'm in the Washington DC area and there are about 10 dealerships that carry VWs within about 25 miles of my house - perhaps that's the difference. They have to stay competitive.

As far as value, I looked at BMWs. The engine & handling may be superior, but for the price I could not get the leather & heated seats, CD, foldable mirrors, etc. I just couldn't justify the price of a BMW to get all the "comforts". The Acura TL, while a nice car isn't any nicer to me than the GLX. Prices are just about comparable. I agree that the VW Passat isn't luxury, but for me it's a lot of features for the price.
  • xwebxweb Member Posts: 12
    Where did you buy your passat? I'm shopping right now from Blacksburg, but am more than willing to travel for a good deal from a good dealer. Thx-x
  • vwgator1vwgator1 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone besides me getting annoyed that Edmunds New Car Pricing still uses 2001.5 instead of 2002 Passat pricing even though the 2002's are out? From what I understand, prices have not changed, but for someone negotiating the price of a 2002 with dealers over the internet as I am, and who can't seem to agree with these guys on just what the invoice price is, I could use the confidence of dealing from numbers that everybody can look at and must believe.

On another subject, am I right in assuming that no matter how cool the tan leather looks with the black or indigo blue exterior, that to be happy with that combination you must either be a Felix who never makes a mess, or at least cleans up every mess immediately, or an Oscar who makes messes and doesn't really give a rat's....? I am neither, so I guess I better go for the grey leather, but please, somebody tell me I'm wrong.
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Grey is good. Don't forget, it's a real light grey. If you wear navy or black dungerees, even the grey gets dark quick. Takes about 5 minutes to clean once a month. I have indigo w/grey. The indigo seems to have a little red in it. Looks great. When I was a kid, I'd always see XK-E's with this color navy and oxblood red leather. Turned out the navy paint had just oxidized. Now they try to replicate it. Wish VW had real old English colors for the interior, oxblood and a real saddle color. And what's with this "leather seating surfaces?" Crap.
  • jji7363jji7363 Member Posts: 33
    how much the dealers typically charge for ad fee? How about mats? I'm preparing to buy the 2002 GLX 4Motion and want to settle on a target price. Dealer quoted $400 for the single CD player. Says it will be covered under the 4/50K warranty if delivered with the car. I was thinking that $30,500 (incl. dest chgs, single CD, mats) seemed reasonable. Thoughts?

With the Audis going to a 3.0 liter in 2002, will VW be upping the HP on the V6? I believe someone posted that they are increasing the HP but lowering the torque. If it is coming about the same time as the in-dash CD, I might wait.

BTW, the recent posts on poor service bothered me, so I called the VW dealer nearest my house and asked for an appt. They said any day next week would be fine. Sounds good! Like the person from D.C., we have several VW dealers in the Pittsburgh area. There's nothing like a little competition!

On a final note, three words why there is still a need for cassette players....books on tape. Our library has several hundred on cassette but only a handful on CD.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have the in dash single disc CD player and 6 disc changer in the trunk - VW was running a special when I bought my 2000 - $250 for the factory installed changer and I negotiated $300 for the single disc. I listen to books on tape on long trips as well - I love this set up. I've since installed an Orian solarbaric sub in the trunk with a kicker 200 watt amp. A very nice enhancement to the factory set up. I keep the bass on -3 which routes most of the factory amp power to the mids and tweeters - very clear and crisp with excellent low end response.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    You can get the Passat invoice pricing at www.kbb.com. I guess not enough data has come in the get the TMV for edmunds, but at least you'll know the invoice so you can see where you stand.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Mats are *Standard Equipment*...The CD Player WILL carry the 4/50
    if delivered with the car...Just like a winch on a Dodge Ram...
  • torid110torid110 Member Posts: 13
    Drove my new 2002 Passat GLS off the lot today. My God, it is so quiet and the pickup is great. I am having trouble keeping it under 60 :) . Hopefully that is the only trouble i have ....

2002 Passat GLS 1.8t
    Indigo Blue/Black leather
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Congrats! You'll have trouble not wanting to drive it. It's a very habit forming car.
    Today I was at Home Depot picking up some stuff (how did we get along without HD before?) and one of the employees picking up shopping carts commented "now that's a good lookin' car". Of course I agreed and thanked him. Get lot's of comments like that.

2001.5 GLS 1.8T
    Reflex Silver, Grey Interior
    Lux Package, Monsoon
  • frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    Yesterday, I brought home my new 2002, GLX, V6, Passat! I traveled 520 miles, round trip, and the experience was worth every mile. Not only did I get a very good price, according to Edmunds new car pricing, and several other sources, but by using the Internet, & the fax, it took less then one day for the "deal" to be struck.

Mid-America Motors, located just outside of St. Louis, MO., was the Dealership. Allen Masengill, Gen. Sales Mgr., went out of his way to make the whole experience, a very pleasant one. In the past, my experiences with other V.W. Dealerships, has been less then ideal. Because of Allen's professionalism, fairness, and courtesy, my faith has been restored.

Anyone within driving range of St. Louis, Mo. and interested in purchasing a Passat, I strongly urge you to contact Allen Masengill. You will not be disappointed!

www.mid-americanmotors.com
    ..suspect far more people use a CD player in their car than cassettes...ie far more people listen to music than book tapes....still find it odd (and annoying) that a $25-30K car comes std with cassette and you have to pay extra for CD player. Because of that the Passat was taken off my shopping list. For a tad more I can get a better car with std CD in the Audi A4 1.8T....and better maint support...
  • scooteroooscooterooo Member Posts: 5
    That is strange that you would change your decision of a car based on a CD player. The A4 1.8T is an old design & going to have an overhaul shortly....Better Maint Support? I have a hard time believing that..
    I think you did not like the Passat to begin with.

I am not an Audi hater, but your reasoning seems weak unless there are other things you did not mention
  • esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    I'm currently in the market for a 2001.5 or a 2002 Passat GLS, would appreciate if anyone could recommend a good dealer within a reasonable distance from NYC. Also in reference to choosing between a 2002 or 2001.5, does anyone know whether it would be cheaper to buy the 2001.5 with an extended warranty + CD player or buy a 2002 which will include the 4 year warranty and a CD player. I am also trying to decide between the 1.8T and the V6. Is there that much difference in power, and does anyone have any experience with aftermarket software modification to increase the turbo engine's power such a chip from autothority?
    Thanks in advance.
    Well I'm not suprised you are not buying a Passat. You've been negative towards it since your first post. Your reasoning is really unreasonable. You can get a CD player added to the dash or wait another month till they are included. But it's your choice and the Audi is, as stated above, an older model. Not as well made as the Passat. A while back someone didn't bujy the Passat because he didn't like the antenna location. Some people are just anal!
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    Hi,
    I Am very close to buying the 2002 Passat after test driving, however, I am concerned with the premium fuel costs, not so much today, but when the fuel goes up again. In NYC premium grade is about 1.75 gal.I put on about 350 miles a week . I have asked a few dealers about running it on plus grade and they all seem to say ok. Would you please let me know if anyone out there runs it on other than premium and is there a noticible drop in power. I also appreciate all the great support and help that I received from this hall. my second choice is the totally redesigned 2002 nissan altima, looks awesome and has been targeted to compete with passat in several ways, and runs on regular fuel. you can see it on autoweek.com new and redesigned.
    Thanks.
    I bought my VW in Jersey. Went to several dealers and Gensinger Motors in Clifton was by far the easiest to deal with. The salesman gave me the lowest quote without haggling. You can get off the Lincoln Tunnel and go up route 3W for about 20 mins ( a little past Giants Stadium ) and you're there. If you want more info, just send me an email @ torid110@home.com. Good luck
  • ristakristak Member Posts: 7
    Do a dealer locator on the VW site and you'll see there are alot of choices within a reasonable driving distance from NYC. I purchased my Passat in May (2001.5 GLX, 4-Motion, Fresco Green w/ Beige leather). I spoke to / e-mailed / visited more dealers than you would consider "normal" and although the process was for the most part pleasant, you do eventually deal with all sorts. In the end, I bought my car from Sovereign on Long Island.

I dealt with Alice Feldman, the internet manager. She was as courteous and professional as you could possibly ask for. I highly recommend her.

P.S. - Do your homework. The F&I guy doesn't get as ringing an endoresment!
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    Don't look at the price of fuel as the issue. Almost without exception premium fuel is 20 cents per gallon more expensive regardless of fuel prices.
    If you drive 350 miles per week and the Passat averages 28 miles per gallon (that's my average) than you will use 12.5 gallons of fuel a week.
    Premium is 20 cents more expensive so you will pay an extra $2.50 per week for fuel over regular unleaded. That's $10 per month. Is that worth it for the car you want.
    I drive a 2000 GLS 1.8t and stick with the premium all the time. It is a small price to pay for mental security.
    I have had my Passat for 15 months and take it in for it's 20,000 mile service this weekend. My last free service, it will be back to paying for oil changes.
    The car has been flawless so far. This is my third VW and have yet to be dissapointed.
    By the way, I read a lot of owners complaining about the Continental tires that came on the Passat and how fast they wear. Mine show almost no wear to this point. I can't believe that I won't get 60,000 to 70,000 out of this first set.
  • npolonsknpolonsk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001.5 Passat and I want to buy an aftermarket CD Changer. Does anyone know which ones work with the VW (Monsoon) Tape Deck / controller?
    I've looked at the Clarion CDC35, but some people have told me that you can only use Alpine or Panasonic 6-disc changers.
    Any comments / suggestions?

Thanks!
  • turboz1turboz1 Member Posts: 3
    I bought the 4 cylinder turbo, never owned/driven turbo before, and have a question: Under normal acceleration (manual shift), I get a noticeable, low "voooppp" sound intermittently after each shift. I suspect this is an air diversion valve in the turbo circuit, but should I be hearing it at all?
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    It's a simple system to install. It'll cost you about $225 total for all the necessary parts. Takes maybe 15 minutes tops to put it in.

BTW, I own a VW and totally agree with another person's post that it's insane that VW sells cars without CD players standard.
    I heard that the 2002 Passat will come standard with a CD player - true? Also, has anyone gotten the 4motion and if so what do you think?
  • bitburgbitburg Member Posts: 15
    Yes someone please tell us how you like your 4motion. I'll be in the market very soon and will be looking at the GLX 4Motion.
  • esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    I am deciding between buying a 2001.5 Passat GLS or a 2002.

How long a Masterguard warranty can I get with the $1,000 incentive on the 2001.5; and how much do dealers charge to install the CD player in the 2001.5? I understand that it will be included in the 2002.

Thanks you those who have helped so far with my question as to dealerships.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    What is the octane rating for the V-6? Does it require 89 or 91 premium? Can you use ethanol? Anyone use ethanol? Experience. Lots of ethanol in midwest. Costs about same as 87 octane but is in 89-90 range.
    I'm not sure about the masterguard because i wasn't offered it. But, the 2002's do come with a 4 year/50k mi b2b warranty. As for the CD players, i was quoted 395 installed for either the in-dash or changer. However, i was able to get the dealer down to 300. The In-dash WILL be included on the 2002's, but not in the batch sitting at the dealers now. That will be a mid-year change. I tried getting the dealer to throw in the CD player for free citing that they will be coming out with them, but he wouldn't bite... Oh well. Hope this helps.
    Hi Xweb,
    I purchased from Alexandria VW. Off of West Glebe Road. Before I purchased, I did all of my negotiation with the internet sales manager. I test drove a few Passats months before I was "ready" to buy. I kept a dialogue going with the internet sales manager for a while and he would email me when he had something he thought I would like. No pressure. I also emailed other VW dealers in the area. Alexandria VW was consistently the lowest price. They told me that they would make it work for me since I lived in the Alexandria area. Internet sales manager let me know when a 2001.5 GLX in Silverstone gray exterior and gray interior was available - invoice price. Went to see it, drove it, drove away after adding the in dash CD. (by the way, I like having both the CD and tape - I do use both regularly)

Loving the car. Just had the 5K maintenance. They were able to get me on the schedule within a couple of days of calling. I was the one who pushed the service date back because of schedule conflicts. I've only run into friendly folks there. I hope that continues.

Good luck!
    I can't tell you how many compliments I get on the car. I kept the fact that I purchased a new car very quiet at my office. About 4 months after purchase, my boss finally saw it and rode in it (that was after my raise). Later, he publicly mentioned that he thought I had the nicest sedan of my entire department (almost 30 of us).

Family and friends comment on how great it looks and how smooth it rides. I think most folks weren't expecting a VW to be so nice. There's been lots of good press about the VW Passat too.
  • ispsxc1ispsxc1 Member Posts: 12
    Got a dealer's quote on 2002 GLS sedan (automatic, leather, luxury, homelink, monsoon, and dealer installed in-dash CD) for 25,500. Is this a reasonable price?
    Thanks, Steve
  • vanosvanos Member Posts: 1
    Regarding message #887 you posted on 5/2/2001, you mention you purchased the complete set of CD changer w/adaptor and shipping on line for $255 for your 2001.5 Passat. Could you tell me which web site you got this nice deal from as I am thinking about installing the changer myself too? Thanks in advance...
  • jconcepjconcep Member Posts: 4
    check out the panasonic cxdp610 and the PIEvw/pc-pan6 cd changer interface. it's literally plug and play and less than $250 for both. my dealer wanted $475. it can be installed in less than 15 minutes. no issues with reprogramming either. i found this out by going to the forums on vwvortex.com.
    i bought mine from logjam electronics.com. free shipping too!
    Guys, get your info right before attacking me!

Let's see...scooteroo...a CD is a must for me! Something wrong with that? If I'm spending $25K and up, why should I pay extra to remove the stock system and put in a CD player? And chance someone screwing up the dash while doing it? A CD player should be standard.

A4 - old design? Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. Many Audi folks prefer the look of the 2001 A4 to the "new" 2002. To each his own..

Better maint support - you bet, scooteroo! Audi's is FREE (ie the dealer pays) for the 1st 4 yrs/50K miles. Does VW? I don't think so. Believe it! Also, where I live the VW dealer and Audi dealer are 1 and the same. Audi owners get free service, Passat owners pay, Audi owners get a free loaner, VW owners don't, etc. Gee, tough decision...

Personally, I really like the look of the Passat. But dollar for dollar, the A4 1.8T is a better buy - ie I can get it for the same price or cheaper with similar specs. Plus I do believe Audi is a tad more upscale than the VW....

pkradd - you call me unreasonable? Read the above - I think I'm quite reasonable when you know ALL the facts! FYI, my window of opportunity to buy is now, not 2 months down the road when the Passat FINALLY has a CD player as standard equipment. For you to say the Audi is not as well made as a VW...I won't even attempt to answer that! The Audi is the upscale "cousin" of the VW and they're both "German" cars. Finally, please don't compare me to someone who didn't like the location of a stinkin' antenna. Anal? Try looking in the mirror before speaking out of turn......

You want to debate the merits of each car? Fine, but debate with facts, not personal innuendo.....

Both are fine cars....the A4 1.8T just offers more for the $$$, IMHO....

Have a nice day!
  • di248di248 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all of you over the past five months, as i researched buying my 2001.5 Passat. You kept me from making a big mistake: without the discussions i read, i wouldn't have noticed the little asterisk in the brochure that said the fold-down rear seats were not available with the 4-Motion. I did test drive a 4-motion in March, but returned to Japan to finish my tour of duty there...and i bought my GLX, automatic, pine green/beige interior over the internet. The advice on getting black floor mats was spot-on, too: they look great, and are soooo practical.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!! Drives like a dream (the normally excruciatingly-boring trip between DC and PGH just flew by...the Monsoon sound system is great (i quickly loaded up the dealer installed 6-CD changer) and love using the steering wheel controls for volume, selection. And how about those smart windshield wipers? I didn't expect that!

I've noticed one small glitch since day one (only two weeks ago)...the fuel gauge seems to be off. Went from full to half tank in only 100 miles...and when i let the gas run low so's the low-fuel warning light comes on, and filled it up, the pump shut off after only 9 gallons.

Anyone else had this problem? I'll watch it until my 5000 mile check-up unless someone has any other recommendation. That should be soon, since i've decided to be a driver, rather than take public transportation since this car is such a delight.
    Fine, buy the Audi. The 2001 Audi has a 2/24,000 mile plus free maintenance advertised in newspapers in FL not what you state. The same as the 2001.5 Passat. My understanding is that the 2001.5/2002 Passat is built differently than the current Audi. According to Edmunds it has more welds, has a stiffer chasis and more room inside. Those are the facts. Enjoy your Audi, it's your choice. Sorry to disappoint you , but I'm not anal - I don't post on forums and whine. You should have taken your complaint to the dealer, we don't care!
    In regards to your gas gauge being off. You might want to check to make sure you twist the gas cap at least 3 clicks after fueling up. I don't know if that is the problem but I seem to remember a similar post awhile back.
    The Audi web site states that the free maintenance is 4yr/50,000 miles. I think the VW is going to have the same thing in '02.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    VW has 0 free maintenance for 02. That is a Audi-only perk.
    You're right - I was thinking of the free roadside assistance.
    is now Standard Equipment...This began at the start of this week(34)...
    Sorry for the late report...
    will most probably add Maintenance to it's Warranty Package...
  • dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    There was a discussion of the gas gauge issue on www.vwvortex.com. You could look there.
  • sava1sava1 Member Posts: 3
    DO NOT USE BLENDED GAS IN YOUR VWs It will created huge problems, stick to 91 proof, no blends.

I have just leased a new v6 GLX with 4motion and have been researching it quite diligently, about what type of fuel to use.
  • jayson2000jayson2000 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001.5 Passat was pre-wired w/ Monsoon. I just received the new changer and PIEvw/pc-pan6 cd changer adaptor ordered from LogJam Electronics. The installation is a fly. The Monsoon headunit detected it easily, changer reading head moves up and down freely to display disc info (i.e. No Magazine, No CD). BUT it shows CD ERR for all the CDs in the magazine. These CDs are one I took from our CD player at home. (yes, they are right side up:-). I can hear the cranking, rotating disc but it always display that error message. I've tried to re-set the changer but still to no avail. I did NOT disconnect battery (I know this is risky). But I don't think this is the cause.
    I'm thinking that I've just got a DOA changer. Any idea from you caring folks out there?
    Thanks a bunch.
    Jayson
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The DP610 has a setting if one is mounting it flat or vertically. Did you set this? If not try that, and also, make sure your discs are facing the correct way. A friend of mine reloaded my changer one day and she put the new discs in upside down.