Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    I think that US is not seeing full picture VW is painting.
    VW owns Bugatti, Audi, itself (surprise ;-), Seat (Spanish manufacturer without long history), Skoda (Czech manufacturer with extensive history).
    Seat and Skoda are cheaper than comparable VW. I think Seat is supposed to be sporty and cheap, Skoda not so expesive and classy, VW is free to go after DCX's Mercedes division and Audi goes after BMW. Bugatti will try to go after exotics.

Now in the USA this plan has big holes, namely no fundation. Toyota started Lexus, Honda Acura and Nissan Infiniti, Mazda did not make it but got Millenia. I think Toyota will/starts new company to sell cheaper cars. If VW wants to keep its customers they need Seat and/or Skoda in US to provide cheaper cars current VW customers expect.

Krzys
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    They have bentley to take on the superluxury Rolls Royce and the new(or actually re-hashed) DaimlerChrysler Maybach division.

I think it would be interesting to re-hash some of the old names in the Auto Union, like Horch.
    VW owns Bugatti, Audi, itself (surprise ;-), Seat (Spanish manufacturer without long history), Skoda (Czech manufacturer with extensive history).
    Seat and Skoda are cheaper than comparable VW. I think Seat is supposed to be sporty and cheap, Skoda not so expesive and classy, VW is free to go after DCX's Mercedes division and Audi goes after BMW. Bugatti will try to go after exotics.

Now in the USA this plan has big holes, namely no fundation. Toyota started Lexus, Honda Acura and Nissan Infiniti, Mazda did not make it but got Millenia. I think Toyota will/starts new company to sell cheaper cars. If VW wants to keep its customers they need Seat and/or Skoda in US to provide cheaper cars current VW customers expect.

Krzys
    the passat doesnt get the second generation VR6? I really like the lighter weight and compact VR design, and the old generation VR6 had the smoothest torque. I cant wait to try the new generation in the GTI, but I think it should be offered in the passat.

If you think about it, we have a 10,000 dollar gap inbetween the prices of the V6 4motion and the W8. There should be something in between with about 220 horsepower or so. I think the new generation VR6 is definitely capable of this.
  • ephi1267ephi1267 Member Posts: 1
    All,

I've searched the inventory of all the dealers in my area and can't find the car that I'm looking for ('02 Indigo Blue 1.8T 5sp Manual with Beige Leather). What is protocol for long distance dealer trades (i.e. between Rocky Mountain states and the Midwest)? Should there be a charge? How much will that weaken my bargaining position? Any advice would be great. Thanks
  • iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    It seems that there are some inconsistencies with the Passat product. The new VR6 for the jetta will have more power, and the W8 is going to have a 6spd manual, but the V6 4motion is not. I have heard that the Jetta is due up for a redesign in a couple of years, which would leave us with an older Passat. Was the change in the Passats for the 2001.5 model a updating meant to freshen it up for a few years, or will we have this style for another 5 years? Is VW holding off on a new V6 and a 6sp for the 4motion until the next model?

I would have to say that a 30K 190hp 5spd manual 4motion Passat would not be a threat to the Audi A4 model, and would give us something to counter the Altima and G35.

Where are we in the lifecycle of the Passat?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would think a new Passat would come before a new Jetta, since the Jetta was just redesigned for 1999.5 and the Passat had its last makeover for the 1998 model year.
  • 759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    That is the car I am waiting for for a daily driver. When my 97 Jetta GLX gets up there in miles I would love a V6 Passat with 4motion and a stick. No stick.....no buy. I don't think I get enough improvements with the W8 for my additional $10,000. I also don't want an A4 3.0 really so I will continue to drive my lovely smooth VR6.

I am curious to see what answers you get.
  • pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    My dealer said the Jetta will be redesigned for 2004 which means on sale late 2003. The Passat will probably follow in 2005 since the current re-freshen is typical of German cars... i.e. don't do anything too radical (except for the new BMW 740 which is getting negative response from BMW buyers). If you put the 2001 and 2002 Passats side by side, there is a much greater difference I t hink.

Krzys
  • 759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    That is the car I am waiting for for a daily driver. When my 97 Jetta GLX gets up there in miles I would love a V6 Passat with 4motion and a stick. No stick.....no buy. I don't think I get enough improvements with the W8 for my additional $10,000. I also don't want an A4 3.0 really so I will continue to drive my lovely smooth VR6.

I am curious to see what answers you get.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My point about the interest was a poor attempt at sarcasm. I said IF you could get 0.00% interest your payment would be. . . The cost of "borrowing" $8,500 for a used car (that has no warranty) coupled with the almost certain maintenance costs plus the uncertainty of repair costs means that you CAN afford a new car and would have a greater likelihood of more money out of pocket with a used car (especially one with 94K miles on it).

The net of all this is my request for you to carefully evaluate the cost of ownership of a used car (and interest rates on used cars are often higher than on new cars -- what with the manufacturer subsidized rates and all) and a new car (lease) over a comparable period of time.

I maintain, within reason, that your ability to "afford" is much different than you think. While there are no gaurantees -- it is much more likely that the cost of a leased 2002 VW will be equal to or less than the cost of a used vehicle.

Now, since I do not have any information about your age or tastes or other pertinent information other than what you have posted, and at the risk of sounding like your dad, I will suggest that a 6 cylinder engine'd car -- although nice -- may be outside of your price range. Moreover, buying used to get the 6 cylinder car may not be a wise decision especially if your budget (and credit) are a little pinched.

Perhaps you could consider a Jetta with the wonderful 1.8T engine.

The used car acquisition cost and monthly payment may be somewhat less than the lease payment on such an upscale, powerful Jetta -- but, the TCO (total cost of ownership) for 45,000 miles (or whatever) will be less.

The used car -- unless you are lucky, will need tires sooner than the new one, anti-freeze changed sooner, spark plugs, wiper blades, oil, oil filter, light bulbs, etc. The so called incidental costs could be quite eye opening.

I sense you want the "hot rod" relatively speaking -- and this is NOT a bad thing. It may be that now is not the time to buy old (and perhaps more unreliably) when for equal to or less money you can buy new (lease).

The joy of that 6 cylinder engine may be lost and forgotten when it is in the shop with even a $200 repair bill (which in my experience would be a rather small bill).

As I re-read your post about what the $8,500 car needs (so far) it is now at acqusition cost + interest (if financed) + $800 in repairs. Your statement that the car you want is $300 a month is also somewhat confusing -- do you think that over 36 months the car with 94K on it would not cost AT LEAST $300 a month (and it still would not be new, and it still runs the "risk" of breaking).

If things are so tight that you would put off getting a new windshield -- why even risk the financial pain that many used cars present.

If you are, however, set on a used car -- please follow VWGUILD's suggestions -- get ALL the facts.
  • vinceburlappvinceburlapp Member Posts: 64
    They are at: http://www. thehollywoodextra.com
    To make it easier, here's a direct link:

http://thehollywoodextra.com/volkswagen/vw.html

• trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    I did it! $8,150 cash. I will patch the windshield for now and deal with replacing it later. I wasn't going to finance a large amount on a used car. I was going to go through my bank for a better rate if I had to pay more.

I'm not so concerned about the "little" costs of ownership, ie. WS blades, Antifreeze, etc. I can do most of the work myself saving a ton in labor.

Where do I find the VWGuild?

So I'm done and hopefully I won't have any major problems.

I appreciate your help and advice.

By the way....FYI

I'm 30 yrs. old and my first car as a teen was a '72 Stingray and then a Jeep Wrangler (6 CYL) auto, and then an old Cougar which I only drove as backup for my '96 Vette which I got rid of and then continued to drive the Cougar until it quit.

My taste is actually more along the lines of (new only) Maxima, Caddy STS, Lincoln, BMW M5, JAG X-type. I simply can't afford what I want at the moment.

The 6 cyl. engine holds up better to high mileage then a 4. I am NOT necessarily looking for a "hot rod", but I have yet to drive a 4 cyl. car with the kind of pickup I'm accustomed to. I grew up with mostly 8 cyl. cars including 2 corvettes. To me, the higher reving engine of a 4 cyl. makes me feel like I'm driving a lawn mower. I know the make them a little different then they used to, but bottom line is that I prefer the 6 period.

Thanks Dad ;)
    Now try to find an independent VW repair shop in your area. You will be surprised at how much more VW charges and the cost of any major repair at a dealership not under warranty will be mind-blowing compared to, say Toyota parts. Glad you got what you wanted. VWGuild can probably contact you if you have a valid email listed once he reads your message.
  • nucar02nucar02 Member Posts: 15
    Ok.. spent a couple hours at the local VW dealership today. Drove both the GLX (V6) and a loaded GLS 4 w/ 1.8T. Both were automatics.

My impression is the 1.8T takes a little getting used to. I found myself always running the turbo (we were in city traffic). The V6 was smoother ride.. since I didnt feel the need to "gun" the engine as much.

The place had very few Passats on lot.. I am considering Silverstone with Gray Leather .. but want to see a Blue Silver and Blue Anthracite before I decide.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    actually the 1.8T 4 cylinder is one incredible engine with very good pickup, especially in the jetta. The Jetta has 180hps where as the V Passat is 190. The rush of the turbo is exhilarating. I to think around town perhaps a V6 or naturally aspirated 4 is better, cause the 1.8T does feel lethargiv below 2000rpm, but if you are in a area with occasional open roads, and do drive highway, you would be pleasantly surprised with it. It is very fun, reliable(more so than the 6) has gotten Wards Top ten engines, is light and fuel efficient not to mention very quick. But hey, you got a car you like, so enjoy it and congrats!`
    Thanks for the info. One thing I will do before handing over my mula is ask for the receipts from the maintenance for the car. That will at least tell me the the oil was changed on a regular basis, which is pretty important in the longevity of any vehicle. Hopefully he kept these receipts. I think he's the kind of guy that does. He also seems like he cares about the car just by the way it was kept inside and out. No scratches, just a couple of parking dings from jerks that park too close.

I had thought about the Jetta for a long time (probably at least 2 yrs.), but when I priced even used ones with the equip. I want, it was way out of my range. Then as I started seriously looking, I kept looking at bigger cars. I'm not sure why. Maybe I grew out of wanting the smaller Jetta between the time I wanted one and now. I almost bought an Olds Alero with 46,000 for $10,000 from a dealer. I knew the sales guy and he was giving me a good deal, but I never went through with it (there was a slight tick in the motor so I put it on the back burner).

He still owes money on the car, so I have to wait for him to get the title and that takes about a week.

I hate waiting!!

Thanks again :)
    I believe the VR6 is only for the smaller engine compartment of the Jetta. I think the (R) in VR6 means 'retro' as in a retro fitted V6 engine so they take the V6 from the Passat and scale down the size to fit in the Jetta.

I could be wrong.

Can anyone verify this?
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Just click on *vwguild*...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Picture it: A Passat W8 Coupe with say 285hp and a price under 40K! There you have the perfect VW.

M
  • spider6spider6 Member Posts: 35
    I have my Passat for about 3 weeks now. I can't say enough good things about this cars. So many features and adanced technologies in a mid 20K car! This is the have my cake and eat it too car which is rare if not impossible to find nowdays. So here we go the PROs:
    1)A stunner! The whole car is extemely stylish! Nothing on the market can even come close expect for the Bimmers and Mercs which costs 10K or more. Everywhere I go people seem to turn their heads and stare at my black Passat with grey leather sunroof and my pounding stereo.
    2)The doors close like a bank vault every time I shut it I had to double check that it isn't a Merc.
    My father the C Class shuts the same except it doesn't have individual courtesy light under
    each of the doors.
    3)The car is larger than Audi A4 and better shoulder and head room than C Class Merc.Fade in/out light and stereo, stereo with speed compensating feature, top quality interior material and construction like an Audi!
    4)1.8T engine is a wonder! It picks up speed extremely fast, very very responsive so it doesn't feel weak at all. Low end take off is typical of a small engine when compared to large new V6
    or V8. Once the speed is above 20 MPH I can't pretty much leave most of traffic in the dust in
    a matter of seconds.
    5)Seats are covered in thick beautiful leather, it smells wonderful and rich! All the lights inside the cabin lit up like stars in the sky at night! It also features one of the most attractive dash
    I have ever seen on any car!
    6)One touch operations on front power windows, all window has pinch control(no cars in the price range offers it that i can think of). Soft touch interior everywhere, many leather covered surfaces are stitched like a fine piece of leather jacket. Just amazing! I am still have my mouth wide open and stunned on finding out all of the features, too bad the Germans are so used to this VW don't even both tell you all of the features, like they said it the brochure, they stopped counting after 40 standard features, trust me there are more whole lot more...
    7)buy the turbo save a few $$ for all kinds of cool add ons, large wheels, tinted window, etc
    the turbo is just awesome it has a cool zing sound to it when pushed a little. IT CAN GO VERY FAST IF YOU GIVE A little TIME! Overall very quite car and very smooth and refined. Some people don't like the 15 inch continental tires, I found them to be very quite just right amount of grip and ride comfort is top notch.
    Cons: JUST ONE!
    1)My trip computer started to act funny after 700 miles. It suppose to come on when I turn the
    key to ON position, the problem is that it sometime doesn't like to come on!! My dealer ordered
    a new trip computer module to replace the whole trip computer, Hopefully this is one time deal and will never happen again!
    This is the car to beat if you are shopping around. All of the German engineering for little money and yes I dont think I would had the trip computer problem if this is a Toyota or lexus.
    This car makes you fall in love with it. Simply one of the most gorgeous car in the mid $20K
    range, no other imports or domestic COMES CLOSE!
    Hi all..

I am enjoying the pre-buying experience of a new Passat! Test drove a couple yesterday :-)

Dealer offered me $3,000 off any GLX. So we're talking $27,375 + tax/lic for a GLX .. that's a couple hundred below invoice!!

So even if I decide on the GLS 1.8T loaded with Leather, Luxury Package and Monsoon.. I am looking at invoice of $24,500 TMV of $25,400. So for $2000 more than TMV on the GLS I can get the V6 GLX. (sounds good!)

Is there any reason to shop around? Thanks for any advice.
  • routerdogrouterdog Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know if there is a way to have the dash/gauges light up without turning on the headlights (Euroswitch?). It may be my aging eyes but sometimes I find it hard to read the speedometer, etc. during daylight - turn on my headlights and they're readable.
  • mehameha Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know why the invoice price provided by Edmunds is about $300 less than the invoice price provided by carsdirect.com and other dealers? I'm planning to get a black 1.8T (Auto) with Luxury and Monsoon (I'm told that cars without Monsoon is hard to come by in LA area) and the best quote I have is $23,500. Edmunds says Invoice is $23,069 (91101 zip code). Carsdirect and VW dealer in Pasadena says invoice is $23,386. Where did the $317 go?

I'm planning to buy this at invoice price, so the number is critical.
  • peachtree103peachtree103 Member Posts: 182
    VWguild or another will be around soon to clarify, but in addition to the "invoice price" on the VW invoice listed by edmunds, there are a few other fees charged by VW that are clearly printed on the invoice that Edmunds does not include. They are real fees charged to the Dealer by VOA. Unless you need further detailing, just go with the higher "invoice" numbers.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    The numbers listed as "Invoice" by Edmunds is not always invoice--they miss it by a few hundred on may cars. As peachtree said, VW has some fees that Edmunds does not include. Also note that below the TMV info Edmunds does tell you that there may be local fees (like advertising) not reflected in their invoice price. Since the VW dealer and carsdirect both gave the me invoice, you shouls assume they are correct.

Bsides, I think you are a little too worked up here. "I'm planning to buy at invoice price so the number is critical." Critical? $317 on a $23,000+ car? If you like the car $114 over invoice does not sound too bad. Don't turn this into a war over $317--or worse yet, $114. Two dollars a month on your payment is not worth it. Good luck to you!
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    Hi Routerdog,
    I thought That i was being just a tad too picky when I mentioned this to a friend, however it is due to people like you, me and all the board members that cars improve. I also have had difficulty at times in the day seeing the dash clearly. If you or anyone else finds out if the lights can be wired to the daytime lights , please let me know.
    Except for two mil light malfunctions, and a new power outlet needing relacement for my cell phone, I have 9,352 happy miles on my 02 1.8t Passat.
    I noticed that the W8 Passat has a slightly different look to the speedo, etc. It was a lot easier to read in the showroom without turning on the headlights. I wonder if this change will find its way into the other 2003 Passats.

I also wonder when VW will figure out how to have the headlights go off automatically after turning the ignition off.
    Base Price/Tip=$20863...Destination=$550...Port
    Prep=$25...FloorPlan Interest Reserve=$92...Luxury
    Package=$1369...Monsoon=$287...

Grand Total = $23,186.00

$200.00, no doubt, Regional Advertising Fee
    1) What do you all feel the resale value will be like on the '02 Passat GLX?

2) What is the reliability on the Passat?

Thanks
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Passat has better than average reliability with the 1.8T and average with the V6, according to Consumer Reports.

The Passat holds its value better than most other cars in its class. Don't worry about it, it will definitely hold its value.
  • kittenpokerkittenpoker Member Posts: 4
    After researching (and soul searching) for over six months, the husband and I are taking delivery on a bouncing Indigo Blue/gray leather Passat GLS 5 speed!

We are very pleased with the deal I negotiated with Greenbrier VW (Chesapeake, VA). With minimal haggling, Robert Chin (the sales manager) and I agreed on $24K even (before tax, license, and title). I did complain about not wanting the Monsoon; we're big aftermarket fans and want to install an MP3 player. But that's okay...Robert located the car in Wilmington NC and we should be getting the Passat tomorrow!

$25,000 out the door. And we sold our 96 Accord to a college student for $8K...no pesky trade to mess with.

Color me stoked! (or Indigo...)
    Kitten
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I bought a Passat from Greenbrier last year;so far,I'm LOVING it. So keep us posted about you VW experiences.
    Usually,I research my purchases,too. But there is just something about the Passat...I loved it at first drive. The only other car I really considered was a BMW 525i;I think you have to look at that level to find a car as entertaining as the Vdub.
    Oh, we researched the Accord, Camry, and Passat in great detail!

Accord: great car, not exciting. Parents have a silver 2000. Heck, we already had a 1996!

Camry: great car, not exciting either. Side airbags and ABS is extra on the 2002, driving the price into Passat range.

Passat: all those safety features standard! (we have a 2 yr-old son so safety's #1). Also, rated highly by Consumer Reports.

Honestly, if it received crummy ratings from CR, we wouldn't have bought it. I really like the Grand Cherokee but it sucks rocks in the reliability area. And this is the car to see us into retirement (well, DH's retirement in 2006; he's Navy).

I've never owned anything but Japanese (Toyota, Nissan, Honda) so the German Experience will be brand-spanking new!

I'm glad to hear you have good vibes about Greenbrier. Casey in Newport News really frosted my cookies this past weekend. Greenbrier has been a dream to work with (even easier than buying our Civic in 1994).

I'm tingling, folks!
  • avillanuevaavillanueva Member Posts: 11
    In the past month the price of a GLS 1.8 automatic Passat with a luxury package has increased slightly based on Edmunds TMV (Philly region). Why are prices increasing at this time? I need to purchase a car by late June, at the latest, and am wondering what I can expect in terms of a price. Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
    An article in the 5/16 Wall Street Journal has some interesting things to say about the direction of the various car lines. While mostly about Audi - going more upscale with aggressive styling and high tech ala BMW, it does mention that VW will keep the Passat and the rest of the line more conservative. This will probably mean in price as well. So, I suspect that the new president has decided things differently then Mr. Piech. More delination between Audi & VW is in the future.
  • routerdogrouterdog Member Posts: 3
    avillanueva,
    I just bought a GLS 5spd with Lux and Monsoon for invoice from Pitcairn Volkswagen in Oxford Valley (salesman was Andrew Kraft) No haggling, just a little reluctancy on their part.
    (215) 741-4100

I had also gotten the same offer from Colonial VW on Street Road in Bensalem - same car -different color - at invoice, and was on my way to pick it up when the salesman called and told me the car had been sold to someone else. I then heard that Colonial does this a lot!

Don't know why the price should be going up! They should be coming down getting ready to sell the 2003's

Good Luck! Let me know how it turns out
  • avillanuevaavillanueva Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the feedback. Will follow up with these dealerships.
    The article in today's Wall Street, coupled with the Motor Trend sidebars and CAR magazine's outline of the next 4 years at the VW group leads me to the conclusion that VW's price climb has just begun with the W8 (at $38K) and will be followed in less than a year by the $60K+ Phaeton -- the new President of VW says "it is easier to take a brand upmarket than to force one downmarket." This is a virtual dead on quote from his remarks at the Geneva auto show recently. There will be (worldwide, but perhaps not everywhere) W12 engines in Phaetons, V6 engines, diesel engines and even the "family" V8 mule -- the 4.2 -- which they promise will be more powerful in the VW than it is in the Audi A8.

The new prez seems to think he can accomplish the upmarket push substantially by the model year 2005. That seems like he is taking "wishful thinking" drugs and not sharing them with the rest of the class.

On other matters:

Tracie, congrats on the new used Passat -- and VWGUILD is a member of this erudite forum and knows more about VW's than anyone I have ever talked to. He is an asset to us on this town hall.

My friend with the Avalon, loves the W8 commercials and says that @ $38K seems like it will steal biz from Audi.
    Check out the review of the W8 -- and the "is it worth it sidebar"

@ http://www.forbes.com/2002/05/13/0513feat.html

Anybody go to a dealer and do this?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    'scuse me - I just wanted to say hey to my neighbors merckx and kittenpoker - I live in the same area. :-)
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    ...read my Posts #3547, 3550 and 3561. Not that I'm an authority, but it still 'remains to be seen' as to whether this car will be 'successful'. I don't think VW's goal of selling 5000 copies is at all out of line; at this point, they're doing fine selling $32k 4motion V6s, so the W8 might not be such a 'stretch'. Personally, I'd have to think 'long and hard' before buying a $38k VW, 0-60 times or number of cylinders notwithstanding. I maintain that lux buyers (other than for some BMWs) aren't as concerned with performance as with image.
    I think VW didn't do enough aesthetically to distinguish the W8 from 'lesser' Passats. The 1.8t manual is a bargain, the W8 is not, unless compared on a 'numbers' or 'content' basis versus A6, E320, etc.
    pk: my husband said if they'd had my Passat, I'd probably do more than lick door handles ;).

pat: hey there neighbor! When you see a chick with red hair in an Indigo Blue Passat blasting Barenaked Ladies or Moby from her new Monsoon, wave!

I'm itching to call Greenbrier and ask, WHERE IS MY CAR?!?! I've never been this excited about steel and rubber in my life!
  • barkasy1barkasy1 Member Posts: 44
    It's all a trick, it's not that VW wants to sell a ton of W8's. The U.S. quota is for 5,000 units, it's hardly worth the re-tooling of the entire assembly line for that amount. Think about it...knowing there is a 38K Passat makes it a lot easier to spend 30-32K on a GLX model. You're no longer buying the most expensive house on the block when you get a GLX! Clever chaps those Bavarian Dudes.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Well – I took delivery yesterday afternoon of a dark blue (Indigo Blue Pearl) W8 Passat. Gray leather.

So far (approx. 100 miles into the ‘break in’) it is as wonderful as I had expected, based on my research and two test drives.

Someone here (I think in the past week) posted a question about RPM at various speeds. On the highway the indicated RPM at 70 is approx.: 2400 and at 80 it is approx. 2750.

Any other questions, post here and I will try to answer them . . .

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who is now looking to TireRack for possible replacement of the OEM Contis and my local shop for what it would take to put dual MagnaFlow mufflers on a W8 – to let out a bit more of that unique and intoxicating exhaust note . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The BBSRX II is a 17X8 that works very well
    with 235/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sports...there
    is a picture at www.vwguild.com

That package came from the TireRack...
    I agree, but I know a lot of people that consider the Passat to be one of the best looking cars on the road right now. It wouldnt be too hard for them to choose the passats style and superior bang for the buck when compared to Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.