Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    A properly cared for, modern turbo is no more prone to failure or breakdown then any other internally lubricated engine part.

The key is regular oil changes and proper warm-up / cool-down procedures.
  • kevinwmalloykevinwmalloy Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a '99 GLX V6 (automatic) with 21K mi., from an Audi dealer somewhat far away. Loving everything about the car except for one small but definitely annoying problem:

Cruising at anything over 40 mph, when I ease off the throttle at all, something causes the rpms to suddenly drop about 200-400 rpms -- every single time, before they gradually return to the original level. Thus, the car is always kind of bogging and surging during regular driving...almost like it is always choosing between gears. (although the rpms always drop down, not rev up).

I took it to the local VW dealer (it's under warranty, but quickly running out) and had a mechanic ride along, and he suggested several possibilities, mostly related to the programmed codes that control the transmission. However, after checking it out, they said it was performing "to manufacturer code" and did not change or suggest a thing.

You can imagine that it's pretty annoying to coast freeways or even city streets, trying to keep a constant speed, while trying to keep the throttle down all the time. In short, it just won't "coast" or decelerate smoothly.

Can anyone tell me something smart to ask when I take this back to the dealer again? (I hate to think that this flaw is, indeed, representative of "performing to code", and that other owners also have the problem.)

I'm in Colorado, a mile above sea level, but the car wasn't behaving like this when I bought it, even through the 10,000 foot passes. Using premium gas. Have had problem for over a month, so the "transmission adjusts to driving style, it will work out" argument doesn't fly. I drive the same roads, no mountains, every day.

Thanks for any input.
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    First of all, your '99 GLX has about 36 months/29,000 miles of PowerTrain Warranty
    remaining, assuming that you are the second owner, and the specific *In-Service* date.

If you went to Gebhardt Automotive; I would call the Service Manager and explain your
    concern. Make sure that he clearly understands that a Technician went out with
    you and recognized the problem that you described. As in all things in life, some are
    better than others. Ask him if he has a Tech that would be prepared to look a little
    deeper into the problem. Meeting factory code is another way of saying " I am really
    too lazy to get into this". If this does not bring about a satisfactory result; seek out another
    Dealership...maybe Tynan's in Aurora.

Hopefully, this will be resolved for you in an expeditious manner...keep me posted,
    and I hope this helps...PS
  • highrise_condohighrise_condo Member Posts: 16
    I purchased a new GLX two weeks ago. Except for the stereo the car is perfect. WV's premium Monsoon stereo is incapable of keeping a clear radio signal. The sound and tone go from stereo to mono to muffled to totally distorted constantly. It's very annoying and it's quite noticeable. The dealer and WV etch support cannot find the problem. All of my previous cars have had crystal clear radio sound/reception. I live in callas, so there are plenty of strong radio stations and I'm convinced that reception is not the problem. All stations sound pathetic on the Monsoon. The DC sounds terrific but I like to listen to the radio most of the time. I've driven three other new Passats and they all have this problem. Except for this unsatisfactory radio, I love the car. Has anyone else experienced this problem or does anyone have a solution?
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The radio reception, both FM and AM, is my only real negative with my Passat. Non-momsoon, though.

It sounds just great with CD's though.
  • stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    Recently purchased a 2001.5 without Monsoon and stations that come in fine in my 1994 Saab, simply don't come in as well on the new Passat.

Why?
    Take it in and have them check the antennae ground...My 2001.5 with Monsoon is perfect...
    AM/FM
  • 2001520015 Member Posts: 16
    can u let me know whats the invoice price of 2001.5 Passat GLS 4 Cyl Auto, with leather, luxury, monsoon, homelink packages ???

and what is a fair price to pay for this car ???

and what r the other expenses/fees to be payed apart from tag and tax ???
    All Inclusive Invoice on the .5 Passat that you described is $24,626.00. It
    does not include any Regional Pricing items such as Ad Assoc. fees, etc.

The *Fair Price* for any car is dependant on agreement between the Buyer &
    the Seller. If the Buyer does not feel that the price is *Fair* he will not buy,
    and if the Seller finds the offer *Unfair* he will not sell...Just like anything else.

Not knowing where you are geographically, I cannot comment on specific fees
    or taxes levied where you reside.

In addition, to this pricing info, make sure that you are aware of all the features
    and benefits to you that each model offers, and then compare those with the competition.
    This will aid you in understanding exactly what you are spending your money on and if
    it is a *Good Value* at any price...
    in Columbia, sc

and in charlotte, nc
    Sorry...I am on the left coast...
    anyway, whats a good out of door price ?? invoice + destination + profit for the dealer ???

invoice + destination = $24626. I know this. But how much do u think the dealer would take ??? including registration + tag + documentation ??

tax i can find out...
    I have no idea...go back to post #661 paragraph #2 you will find your answer there...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    including invoice, MSRP and Edmunds True Market Value for the Passat can be found at this link: New Volkswagen Vehicles - Passat.

You can look up other vehicles by following the "New" link that appears on the dark blue title bar at the top of this page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    You certainly awoke feeling a little testy this morning! I still find it curious that your
    only interest on this board is to make negative comments about people in the car business.
    You guys should form some sort of club...If you don't own a VW and you have no interest
    in buying one...

I was asked to provide this individual with an Invoice price, which I did and with appropriate
    disclaimers.

I suspect it would take a rare individual; one with extraordinary telepathic power, to advise
    a total stranger, 3000 miles away, with no knowledge of their circumstances or mental
    capacity, on something as significant as purchasing a brand new automobile. I am not such
    an individual.

How he elects to use the number that I gave him is his own business... As is the price he
    arrives at that will enable him to drive that car home...it is not mine, nor is it yours.
    Okay folks let's just stick to the vehicles and not talk about each other.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Pricing page well done! and accurate with the exception of the fact that Port Prep @$25.00
    and FloorPlan Interest Reserve@ $92.00 are not included.

To the best of my knowledge these are fixed at Auburn Hills to every Dealer, coast to
    coast for every VW, from Golf to Passat...If that is wrong; I will stand corrected.

As we have discussed before, Dealers are expected to pay the entire Invoice, and that
    would include these two items.
    The place to provide that feedback is at the "Contact Us" link on the far right of the dark blue title bar of this page. My role here is strictly as the forum host.

(And I haven't been "pat455" for a long time now - although that does remain my email address at edmunds ;-))

Pat
    Host
  • dpr5dpr5 Member Posts: 32
    Being a car salesman or any other kind of salesman does not make one a minion of Satan. As Being an old guy who has bought several cars and in the process again, I have run into the good and the bad. Do your homework, try to treat the other guy with respect and it usually can be a pleasant experience. For me it is easier today. I think it also has a great deal to do with the attitude management of the dealership encourages.
    Dave
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Anyone here own a VW Passat wagon? Feel free to join us in our Passat Wagon discussion.

Happy Motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards

• cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    My intention on following these posts was really to find out about the Passat. One of the very first posts I read was your "VW Vs. the Economy". The whole bunch of business about VW not getting rewarded for their efforts and the rest of the nonsense was funny because they are charging about 4K to 5K more than the benchmark sedans in the same class. It became clear after reading that post that you were car salesperson first...Passat enthusiast second. Since some of what you write is helpful,(if not jaded) I'll lay off.
    Apology accepted!

To set the record straight...I am a Volkswagen enthusiast 1st. My first car was a 1962
    VW Convertible, I was 17. My enthusiasm for the Brand has seldom waned, and for the past
    6 years has been running at full throttle.

The piece that I wrote regarding the introduction of the new Passat I believe to be true. VWAG
    has had this redesign in progress for well over a year...If you and I both knew then, what we
    know now, and had *shorted* this Market last march; we would be discussing what planes
    we should be buying, and not cars. The launch of this new Passat has suffered due the economic environment that exists today. The SF Chronicle noted earlier this week that
    office space cost per Sq. Ft. SOMA has dropped from $70 or so to $50 give or take. And
    even Montgomery St. prices have been reduced from $86 to the low $70s. These numbers
    tell the same story.

The Production numbers were high predicated upon 2000 Sales. If this car had been launched
    in a different economic environment and with produced units as small as the New Beetle in
    1998 the posts here would be entirely different, of that you can be sure. And I really do not
    believe that the new Passat is in the same class of the benchmark sedans that you refer to; neither does Automobile Magazine or Consumer Reports; they find it the BEST in class.

And lastly, I am very proud of what I do. I have been fortunate enough to have had a very eclectic career path. I was a Marine Corps officer for ten years, I spent 10 years in cash
    management with a major Wall Street brokerage, retired, and worked as a Paramedic for
    six years before joining the VW group.

There are few things in life that are as pleasant as
    watching someone take possesion of a new car. To some, it is like changing underwear, but
    to the majority it is something that happens only rarely. I have delivered cars to people in
    their forties that have Never owned a New Car. And even the jaded souls get a rush, when it
    is done right. To see the smiles and joy when you hand over the keys...for those folks that
    have saved for years, that is the slum life of a *car salesman*...what a horrid way to make
    a living!!!
  • bullseye10bullseye10 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up a 2001.5 GLX Auto (no 4 Motion). The car looks great (Indigo/Black) and I feel good about the deal I got. I have noticed a slight power lag as I accelerate from a complete stop or out of slow speeds (such as coming out of a turn in a residential area). Is this normal? What should the RPM's be at idle? Mine is at about .8 or .9. I appreciate any insights before I go back to the dealer.
  • bullseye10bullseye10 Member Posts: 5
    While in Tip, the engine will down shift automotically but will not upshift. Is the also normal?
    Congratulations!!! All of your concerns are for naught...All within normal limits...

And, yes...your Tiptronic will automatically downshift for you as you slow down
    if you don't, and it will up shift if your tach gets into dangerous territory.

Enjoy!!!
    Its interesting that magazines always compare the Passat to cars like the Camry or Accord when they cost many thousands more comparably equiped. Pricewise the Passat really compares to intro-lux cars like the Acura TL. I guess it's at the high end of bread and butter or the low end of intro-lux. I still want one. The one question mark in my mind remains reliability. 30,000 miles per year for four or five years. Think it can do it? For the Record my "Exploder" has been near flawless with hardly any maintanence except oil changes.
    Your concerns, I think, are predicated on comments posted here and elsewhere; which
    as you, no doubt, must be aware, fall into the minority of Passat owners, and not the
    majority.

What does warrant concern is the Dealership that you select to service your new Passat.
    With the extraordinary success that VW has experienced over the past 4 Model
    Years, most Service Dpts. have been pushed to their limits...Not enough service bays and
    a rather shallow pool of qualified Techs. to select from when looking to add staff.

Both Lasher & Niello are familiar to me from doing Dealer Trades, but because they are
    in different *zones*...they are in 45 and I am in 43, I have no way to pull there Service
    Satisfaction numbers from this computer. But I can make some calls. In addition, I think
    word of mouth from folks that you come in contact with who are their customers is helpful
    as well...though obviously not very scientific, you will certainly get an impression.

How a Dealership ranks with their "Apostle Scores" is really key, and I will get those for you
    tomorrow.

I trust that your VW experience wil be as trouble free as your Explorer has been , and I
    really meant no ill will, just journalistic jousting...

And one last thing...with that much driving a VW Masterguard B2B is a must have. You
    should feel secure out to the 100K mark on the clock, even though that is only out to
    39 months. That, and proper maintenance and you should be OK. Think about all of the
    vintage VWs you see...Vanagons, Jettas, etc.
    Really most of my concern about VW would stem back to the 85' vanagon my parents bought when I was in highschool. Thats not really fair I know, but honestly that thing was in the shop more than it wasn't.

I have heard mention of the Masterguard before. I asked the salesguy at Lasher if I could see a copy of it and explained my concern why. He said "they would have to help you with that in
    F&I"-meaning I would have to be buying the thing before I could seee the details. Is it pretty inclusive?

I would imagine you are right though in that the Passat would be at least as reliable as the Explorer. And the resale would have to be better.
    email me you address and I will mail you a brochure...
  • spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    Hi folks, now that I've actually taken delivery of my new Passat wagon I'd like to put in a good word for my dealer and salesmen. For me, being an impatient customer anxious to get my new car, it was a long wait. But both George Johnson and Bill Pansky of Boardwalk Volkswagon in Redwood City, CA helped me find the exact color combination I wanted (worked with VWOA to have the car diverted from the Houston port)and tracked the car on just about a daily basis until it arrived.

I have had some bad experiences with car dealers in the past (and during this shopping experience with other dealers) and am usally skeptical and cynical until the transaction is complete. In this case I was pleasantly surprised as there were no games and George and Bill were straight forward and honest with me every step of the way. I recommend them highly.

Now we'll see how their service dept. is:)

Btw, the car is a 2001.5 Passat GLS V6 Wagon with Tip, Leather, Lux, Monsoon, & Homelink in Silverstone Gray with Black interior. I've only had it two days but so far it is flawless.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    that VW changed some of the colors around this year. Notice that a gold-ish color is now available on Passat and Jetta. Looks great with black leather...:)
  • jamesd44jamesd44 Member Posts: 10
    Don't know if (jsmookie Mar 22, 2001 8:24pm) is still lurking, but you asked about good dealers in the Dallas area. I highly recommend Metro VW on Hwy 183 in Irving (I don't know about their service dept. b/c I haven't been in yet). I dealt with Mike Sabbas on referal and had a great experience. The folks there were very pleasant to work with.

I picked up a new GLS about six weeks ago and have enjoyed every day of it.
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Spellbound, You did not mention the deal you got .. if you don't mind ?!
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    I figure this one has been rehashed a number of times. I just now took a look at this board though we've owned a 99 Pas sat LS V6 for two years now. It's my wife's car and she just loves it. The only drawback (outside of the upholders) is the amount of brake dust we get on the front wheels. Outside of constantly cleaning them, is there anyway to prevent this? A friend suggested that when it comes time to do a brake job, that we get metallic pads. Will the WV dealer have these (we have all service done at WV)?

A friend at work bought a 2001 Pas sat last year, and her front wheels get hardly any dust at all. I wonder what WV did differently with that car.

Also - a note to the folks who had radio reception problems. Early on with our Pas sat, we had antenna lead problems, but once the lead and the antenna were replaced by the dealer, no more problems. The stereo works flawlessly now.

Thanks for whatever help you can give. For all those prospective buyers, the Passat V6 is a great car!
  • jsmookiejsmookie Member Posts: 2
    jamesd44,

what kind of deal did you get?
    car, options, price, ttl
  • vdub1vdub1 Member Posts: 4
    does anybody know if there will be another price increase on the 2002 passats? also, any other changes being added? vwvortex says in-dash cd will now be standard.....thanks for any info
  • robertcarobertca Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Canada and have been thinking about purchasing a new Pas sat. I've read lots of the archive messages in the forum, and although my enthusiasm for this car is still strong I'm very reluctant to purchase it with the limited warranties WV offers. I was astonished today when I discovered that the drive train warranty offered for Passats sold in the US is significantly
    better than what is offered in Canada.

The US Pas sat comes with a Drive train
    warranty of 10 yr. / 100,000 i. while the Canadian car is offered with a "Power train" warranty of only 5 years / 80,000 km .....equivalent to about 55,000 miles.

I can think of no rational reason for the discrepancy. Does anyone have an
    explanation?

Does VW in Canada support any specific extended warranty? I have a brochure from our local dealer for extended warranties offered here by a German Bank! I asked the salesman if this was "it" for Canada and I was told yes. The brochure was not informative in any way and a bit of a joke as a sales tool. No mention of Masterguard. And once again my intuition told me to start falling out of love with this car.
  • hoverdrivehoverdrive Member Posts: 16
    It has been a while since I've posted here at Edmunds. Back when the Passat was not as mainstream as it is today and Edmunds was just starting to become popular (early '98 I think).

I bought my '99 1.8T in September 98. I am happier with my car now than I was then. Mainly because I have “learned” to drive it.

I have had no problems with it so far, other than a squeaky belt that got tightened during a maintenance visit. I still get between 28 and 31 mpg on mostly highway driving.
    I put quotation marks around learned in my previous posting, and I got symbols and numbers instead. It must be a bug in the (quote)new Edmunds (unquote).
    That will happen if you compose your post off-line in MS Word - there's something about Microsoft using non-standard ascii characters that causes that.

That can be avoided by using the post box directly, or perhaps a straight ascii editor such as Notepad.

And you have a 30 minute time period after making a post in which an "Edit" button appears to the right of the date and time of your post - that Edit feature will allow you to correct any anomalies such as you experienced.

Anyway, welcome back, and I hope this helps!

Pat
    Host
  • omoomo Member Posts: 3
    Although I bought a used car ('00 Galant) here at RonPrice Motors dealership (sells VW, Subaru), they treated me very well as their customer.
    My experience with them from the managers to the sales rep (Ms. B. Woo) is very good.
    I would recommend this dealership to anyone and I'll definitely buy a another car here again new or used.
    This is my way of saying thanks to them for doing a good business.
    www.ronprice.com
  • catbert430catbert430 Member Posts: 3
    of the people posting to this thread for your advice and tips. After spending months deciding between Accord EX V6, Maxima SE, and 2001.5 Passat GLS, I finally bought the Passat last night.
    Got the 1.8T with Tiptronic, Leather, Luxury Package and CD player. Mojave Beige Metallic over black leather. Looks fantastic for a family sedan and drives like the true German sedan that it is.
    Out the door for invoice +600. Could have gotten a much better price on one of the other two, but the Accord doesn't have the Passat's panache and the Maxima is too expensive to insure in the land of insurance fraud (North Jersey).
    Thanks again to all for helping me with this big decision.
  • pebble1pebble1 Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree with message #688 about the warranty. I test drove the 2001.5 Passat 1.8T and 2.8 V6 automatic last weekend. I prefer the 2.8 because the 1.8T feels under powered with the automatic. I really like this car because of the quality,handling, ride and styling. Anyways, the dealer gave me a terrific deal on the 2.8 GLS with luxury package and leather package. I was very tempted to sign the deal but the only thing holding me back was the warranty. The standard warranty on most cars is 3yr/60000km bumper to bumper and 5yr/100,000km power train. BMW and Mercedes offer 4yr/80000km bumper to bumper. Volkswagen only offers 2yr/40000km bumper to bumper. I cannot understand why they cannot at least offer the industry standard.

In comparison with the Acura TL 3.2 which is similarly priced with the Passat GLS V6 with option packages you get the standard industry car warranty plus HID headlights, cd player, power seats, automatic climate control ... I can live without these luxury extras that the TL 3.2 offers but I feel strongly about a good warranty. My acura is 10 years old and has only had routine maintenance, however I feel it is time for a change. I want to trade in this car for the Passat, however I am holding out in hopes that VW will improve their warranty coverage. By the way it costs approximately $1300 to extend the warranty for one extra year.
    Do some shopping on that warranty quote...that kind of money is even
    on the highside for a 5year/75000 mile B2B...
    ... administrative interruption.

Sometime in the next week or two, the name of this discussion will be changed dropping the "Part VIII" designation.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have a requirement to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts have occurred. Therefore, this discussion can be regarded as the permanent home for Passat conversation. The "part number" designations on all of our discussions will probably eventually confuse new members, so we will be gradually dropping them from the titles.

We'll also be altering original discussions in the Archives to differentiate between the first and the current.

I just wanted to give you a heads up - and by the way, if you are subscribed to this discussion, a name change will not affect your subscription.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    I did use MS Word. Thanks for the tip.
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    Hi Everyone,

I have read some of the posts on this site with great interest. I just became a Town Hall member today so that I could participate instead of just reading from the background. :-)

Although I believe that someone mentioned this in an earlier post (I admit, I haven't read the entire forum), my questions concern the reliability of the Passat. Everything I've read about the car sounds outstanding (excluding the price) except for the reliability. Some of the problems owners have reported sound pretty scary and the VW dealerships/service don't sound like they really care about you once you've driven off. It seems like they'll blow you off if you come back with a problem. For me, this would be a cause for concern.

I currently have a 2000 Camry LE V6, which I have no complaints about and I've had zero problems to date. I like my car, but I would like my next car to have more "luxury type" options and be a little more distinctive. The Passat is a sharp-looking car with many great luxury and safety features (even if it seems a little pricey) and it seems to fit well with what I want, but I'm unsure about its reliability. The shorter basic warranty also concerns me. I, too, wonder why their warranty is shorter than the industry standard.

As I respect the opinions of the car enthusiasts on this forum, I'd appreciate your feedback and opinions. My husband is totally against my trading in my reliable Camry for a Passat, although he is biased, he loves Toyota and is a loyal owner. I, on the other hand, just want the best car I can get to suit my needs and desires and that fits my budget. I try to be more open-minded and I don't mind getting other peoples' viewpoints.

I'd love to know what you guys think.

Regards,
    SilverCrown
    Welcome SilverCrown!

I'm sure you'll get some great feedback here. You may also want to check out our Womens Auto Center Board for some conversation on lots of other subjects.

Thanks for deciding to join our community.

Pat
    Host
    According to consumers reports, the Passat is rated "average" in terms or reliability. Your Camry is rated "excellent". Excellent being better than "good" and "good" being better than "average". For that reason, the resale is better on the Camry too. What I am doing to bridge the difference between my two choices(Accord Vs. Passat) is insisting to myself that if I get the Passat I will have to a purchase an extended warranty that I would feel comfortable NOT having to buy for the Honda. Of course you have a bunch of VW fanatics in here so get ready to hear other opinions.
  • catbert430catbert430 Member Posts: 3
    cliffyb, you're mostly right except for one thing. The Camry and Accord have proven to be much more reliable than the Passat, but while the Accord and Passat have a very high resale value after 3 or 5 years, the Camry does not; it's depreciation is average for all cars and considerably higher than Accord or Passat.