Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• jason1635jason1635 Member Posts: 8
    I had been think about getting a new engine management chip in my 1.8T 2004 passat. I have read it adds 40 hp, similar torque. Just wondering if this is a good idea. Any of you out there preformed a similar mod? If so what can I expect, cost, performance, gas mileage, etc. Any particular recommended brands, (GIAC,UPSOLUTE,etc) Are additional modification neccessary (air filter DV upgrades, etc)
    Thanks for your recommendations in advance. This is a great car, but would love to add a little performance upgrade. Thanks, jason
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    The procedure for me is to get some estimates - I've got two so far, and I'm suspicious of the lowball one. Me question is, basically, whether I should be suspicious. Here are some details:

One estimate is from a respected local body shop. In making the estimate, the guy used an amazing software program with every detail of the Passat body shown. By contrast, the other estimate is from one of the paintless-dent-removal places that follow storms and will be in town for a few months. That guy just eyeballed my car, saw which panels had damage, and gave me a much lower estimate.

One difference: the body shop charged a little ($30) extra to re-rustproof the underside of the spots where they remove dents--necessary, they say, and surely worth $30. The PDR guy said it isn't necessary.

Another difference: I don't think the PDR guy realizes what's underneath the surface in a Passat. Consider the trunk: he'll have to remove that piece (whatever it's called) that's so nicely attached under the trunk. The roof is nice and thick, the hood has a heat shield. My guess is that the body shop figured in the labor necessary to take these off and replace them, while the PDR guy didn't.

So my question: obviously, I'd rather go with the cheaper one; but obviously, I'd like my car to come out good as new. I'm afraid that removing the headliner etc. -- if done carelessly or quickly-- could lead to rattles or squeaks (the car is totally free of these so far) or other problems. Aside from the rustproofing question.

Should I be worried about this? Or should I go with the cheaper guy - will he do just as good a job for less?

Thanks.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    PDR is an art. Someone with experience and talent can do amazing work w/o breaking the paint. The PDR person that goes where the storms go would be my choice IF they are working with a local shop. Usually a few of the out of town guy's work with locals and the local guy will obtain a cut and will guarantee the work. In this manner you obtain experience and peace of mind.
    No matter who you choose, the person who does the actual PDR will be better if they only do PDR and have done it for some time. Do not let some one PDR who is on learning curve. See their work before and after before choosing if possible.
    Price is not an indicator of quality with PDR. Price may be lower simply due to less time needed by a pro.
    After hailstorm and then PDR 95% of the dents were completely gone. A couple of the dents were not possible to remove due to location.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    There is but one con: the possibility that you "MAY" have a warranty issue -- or come across a "mod unfriendly" dealer.

The issue is not that chipping per se voids the warranty, but that if anything that is covered by the warranty is found to have failed because of "something" aftermarket, well they may determine that the cost of the broken whatever is no longer covered by the warranty.

I have chipped and I have not had an issue -- with the 1.8T engine (in an Audi product, but they are the same engine).

Now, it is possible to have your 1.8T chipped by software alone, via the port that allows the VW computer to talk with the engine managment chip. At least two companies provide such computer port programming -- and they also allow you to have the program for free for a certain trial period of time and they can give you a procedure to make the program permanent should you like. I don't think there is any price break for simply changing the programming vs chaning the chip other than the labor and down time differences. Chipping will be between $500 and $700 and will be the single most impressive upgrade of power and torque, although I think your numbers are a bit off.

Conservatively, the 1.8T engine will gain (trypically) from 15 to 30 HP with a stage 1 (the mildest) chip, but will often gain as much as 50% in torque (although this torque peak will come at a slightly higher engine RPM than the standard max torque number.)

My 180HP 1.8T chipped to 195 HP but added significant torque 80 pound feet. The acceleration of the car was totally transformed. 0 - REDLINE rpms in 1st and 2nd gear happened so quickly that the rev limiter would kick in seemingly "instantaneously" when I would floor the car in these gears -- third gear too was quite strong.

I also changed the air filter and switched to 100% syn oil -- others I have known go further and replace the exhaust system, the fuel injectors and/or the tubo's themselves. The first biggest jump, however, comes from the chip alone.

The chip programming is the way I would go -- again there are at least two vendors that allow the software to be updated without touching the actual chip hardware at all.

Zoom zoom indeed!
  • feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    I echo everything that markcincinci so eloquently posted about chipping (as this is called). I have been running with a chip from Wetteraurer for over a year and ~30K miles, and its a real joy. No impact on fuel consumption (one of the few things in life that is literally something for nothing). It does help that you have a mod-friendly dealer; I'd say go for it. If you need any more details, please holler.
  • atltdiatltdi Member Posts: 3
    Just traded my 2001.5 1.8T wagon (5 speed) in for a 2004 TDI Wagon with Tiptronic.... I LUVVVVV it! I've had it for about two weeks...incredible fuel mileage!!!!...The increased torque makes it much stronger off the line than the 1.8T. It's not as quiet as the 1.8 at idle, but who cares. I averaged 40.1 MPG on the highway on my last trip and the Diesel fuel is 40 cents cheaper by the gallon and my neighbrhood gas station.

Get yours quick!
  • jason1635jason1635 Member Posts: 8
    thanks for the advice guys. i will wait until my 5K service and then chip with a GIAC 91 octane chip at a local volks shop. Will let you know the results. Shops here in hawaii are charging $710-$750 for this service, seems a little high compared to the mainland, but not a lot of options. The price of paradise...
  • monkeyking1monkeyking1 Member Posts: 7
    How come I can not find a Passat TDI wagon listed in Edmonds.com or Carsdirect.com? Did you buy it outside USA? I do see Jetta TDI wagon though. Does TDI wagon come with AWD too, I mean, 4 motion? Thank you.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Because?
  • dn5150dn5150 Member Posts: 11
    Think about this one. The guy claims to have only FDS fender damage and oil pan damage, which was fixed. At the most, it would cost around $3K to fix this. Why would the insurance company total (declare as salvage) a $25K car with approx. $3K in damage? This guy is not telling the whole story.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    At least he is showing it has a salvage title and links to carfax that says the same thing. I'm thinking that it was totaled due to the "small crack" in the oil pan.
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I owned a '98 Jetta TDI before moving to the larger 2000 Passat. I loved the TDI Jetta but unfortunately with 3 children I needed the larger Passat.
    If VW would just put the 5 or 6 speed manual in the Passat TDI I might be able to buy the last car I ever need. A Passat TDI with manual transmission and luxury package with leather would be my ideal car. All that room, great ride, reliable diesel and mileage almost as good as the high tech Toyota Prius. I love the diesel.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    This past Saturday I received a call from a local VW Dealer asking if I wanted to come in and look into getting out of my lease early (11 more months remaining) and possibly getting into a Passat. So, I arrived at the dealer on Sunday around 2:00pm. After 1 1/2 hours of looking at Passats on their lot and test driving one or two we ended up back in the salesman's office. We went over my trade info and discussed what I wanted in the new Passat (colors, transmission type, etc....). She walked to the Sales Manager's office and we waited about 30 minutes and a guy (General Manager) walks into her office and tells me that they were not able to give me specifics because they were having computer problems and the Sales Manager was out of the office until Monday morning. The saleswoman said she would get with the sales mgr first thing Monday morning and call me back around 11:00. 3:00 rolls around and no call. I call and she says it was a typical Monday and things got hectic. She advised me that they would be able to get specifics to me on later that night by 7:30. No call still. I called back around 11:30 Tues morning and asked if she had any updates and she said that they were busy with customers and they were trying to work numbers on a Passat for me. She would call again Tues night to provide an update. I received a VM message Tues night stating that they had various small issues and were trying to get the trade in value on my current Jetta. She said she would not give me a specific time to call back because every time she does she is not able to meet the time. But, she apologized and said she is working on getting me numbers. It is Thurs and I have not heard back from the dealer. I am not really sure what to think. Do they not want to sell me a car? Is the deal they have so bad they won't bother calling back? I did tell her Sunday that I would not be buying a car that day but might if the deal was good enough within the next couple of days. So.......not sure what's going on. I am starting to get pissed and refuse to call the dealer back. If they want my business they will make an effort to call me back. I might pull my service business from them as well.

Any thoughts???
    Are they offering you an early out of your lease? Last year Audi offered to forgive the last 12 months of lease payments, which meant a clean break. If they are simply trying to roll you, and you are OK with that, go for it -- and maybe go somewhere else.

However, if you are so upset with them that nothing would change your opinion and this is not a VW sponsored early out -- well they are almost certainly just hoping they can roll your minus equity into the new car and somehow, perhaps by extending the term to 99 years, get your payment low enough to get your attention.

If they are hungry they'll call you.

If this is a VW deal, from VWoA -- just go elsewhere.
    It is not a VWoA early out deal. They were looking to roll my remaining payments into the new lease. But, to be honest, I am not sure what exactly they are/will roll into my new lease because they have not provided me any numbers. My current lease payments are very low so I'm not sure what they will work out as far as negative equity goes. Their premise for the call last Saturday was to inform me of current incentives on Passats. You are correct though, if they want the sale they will call me.......
    Fine print time. Some leases are friendly to early out, requiring AT MOST only the remaining payments be rolled into the new deal.

However, some are not so friendly, requiring the difference between the blue book value of the car and the estimated residual as a percentage of final residual to be no matter what the amount.

Here is what COULD happen: lease payments $250/mo x 10 mo remaining $2,500 maximum to be rolled over. Or current value of the car minus the book value -- so if the current value is $15,000 and the book value is $20,000 the negative equity is $5,000 and in that case that is the amount they would want to roll up.

I know, it seems crazy -- because it would be cheaper to just lease the new one and keep making the old lease payments for 10 months and save the $2,500 difference.

This can happen when the end of lease value has been insured and the car is losing value faster than was estimated -- by keeping the car to full term, the insurance closes the gap, if you attempt to bail early the insurance MAY not close the gap, so YOU do.

Be wary of the amount they roll into your new lease -- it will make getting out of your next lease early even harder. Sometimes the manufacturer offers an incentive (with Audi, for example, they had a 5 months early out program which meant that the lease was wiped out at month 31 of a 36 month lease with NO roll over requirements.

They won't let you steal from them, I would not let them steal from me, if I were you. Of course, and this is KEY, if it is a good deal in your mind and you get a better car, take it. Don't worry about the rest of us -- we're just spouting opinions here.
    Thanks for the advise. I actually received a call from the sales person (she was off today and came in just to call me) and she gave me some numbers. The deal she is giving is actually pretty decent. The GLS special VW is running now is $239 per mo. They offer $255ish per month and that includes my Jetta trade in. I will get more specifics, but if they can stick to that $255 price I may be able to work a deal. I asked if she could send me an email with the specifics (Residual, Mo. pmt, $ down, term, ....etc) and she was not sure if they could send an email.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    "I owned a '98 Jetta TDI before moving to the larger 2000 Passat. I loved the TDI Jetta but unfortunately with 3 children I needed the larger Passat.
    If VW would just put the 5 or 6 speed manual in the Passat TDI I might be able to buy the last car I ever need. A Passat TDI with manual transmission and luxury package with leather would be my ideal car. All that room, great ride, reliable diesel and mileage almost as good as the high tech Toyota Prius. I love the diesel. "

Agree, except make mine a wagon.
  • beerbecuebeerbecue Member Posts: 4
    My wife and I have excessive wind noise on our 2004 Passat also (but starting at speeds closer to 50 mph). Seems to me it is coming from the mirror or the trim, as it is definitely an outside noise and not attributable to the window.

Its been in the shop once, and is probably going back (we've only had it for a week) - its too bad, it is a beautiful, comfortable car.
    I have the same exact problem with our week-old 2004 GLS. I am wondering too if this is typical, or just a few cases. I have two friends that have Passats, and they both have no experience with this 'whistling' issue.
  • taft4taft4 Member Posts: 57
    Noises are sometimes very hard to pinpoint. In my previous car (Subaru) we had a rattle that drove us nuts. After a month or two of hard searching I found it, and it was nowhere near where I thought it would be.

I purchased a GLX V6 sedan just a month ago and while I only have 700 miles on it to date, it is extremely quiet, and with no wind noise. Could your noise be coming from somewhere else, perhaps in or near the engine?
    The engine does make a whine when the turbo kicks in, but I am sure the noise I am concerned about is from wind. For example, if I roll down the window, the sound is louder. If I then place my hand over various areas of the mirror/trim while driving, the whistling noise will stop (I am still trying to figure out the exact position) - in addition, it only happens at speeds over 50 mph (usually 55, and it gets worse with increasing speed).

My two friends with Passats (both GLX) have no noise whatsoever, so I am beginning to wonder if there is a construction difference in the GLS v. the GLX.

I am hoping that we will be able to find a resolution with the dealer to either fix it or drive some other cars, because quite frankly, I am extremely disappointed at this point.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    >>My two friends with Passats (both GLX) have no noise whatsoever, so I am beginning to wonder if there is a construction difference in the GLS v. the GLX.<<

Does your Passat have the side markers on the side mirrors? Does your friends' vehicles have the same, or are their side markers mounted on the fenders? I've read a couple of posts that seem to indicate that the "side markers on the mirrors" create the wind noise. I believe the shape of the mirror housing is slightly different. I can't recall reading a solution, though. If I find it, I'll post again.
  • todd53todd53 Member Posts: 47
    For what it's worth, I have a new '04 Passat TDI with the markers on the side mirrors, and there are no excessive wind/whistling noises to speak of.
    I have a new GLX V6 with the turn signals in the outside mirrors and I have no wind noise problems either.
  • frengilfrengil Member Posts: 2
    I have replaced my 1999 passat 1,8t wagon in November 2003 by a brand new 2004 passat 1,8t wagon.

I loved my 1999 despite they had to change front suspension parts 13 times in the last 4 years.

With my 2004, I have unpleasant engine vibration from 60km/h up to 150 km/h since the car is new.
    It does create a 100-200hz vibration in the steering weel, the door, floor,
    gas pedal, clutch pedal as well as in the shifter.

Highway traveling is very anoying.

- Tires got ballanced 5 times by 3 differents garage.

- VW dealer has replaced 3 rims.

- They then suggested me to replace the Continental tires by Michelin MXV4
    at my own expense (750.00 Can$).
    - I did it.

- VW dealer have then tried to unmount / remount the front sub-frame.

I have reached 13,000km and 6 months and the dealer has kind of gived up !
    VW Canada does not shown much interest to solve the problem.

Recent test drive of others 2004 passat (sedan and wagon) having 5,000km and
    more have demontrated signs of the same problem.

I can not live with such a problem !

Legal procedure via PAVAC or consumer protection group is slow and very time
    consuming .

As a responsible father, my immediate and likely only satifaction is to
    inform as much as possible other car seekers/buyers not to fall in the same
    trap.
  • starkidstarkid Member Posts: 2
    hmmmmm I wanted to get a VW Jetta every since I laid my eyes on one; however, when I test drove it, I was extremely disappointed. The engine made a lot of noise and it seemed like it was having a hard time going local. I was planning on checking out a Passat, but it seems as though a lot of people are having problems with Passats as well in regards to noise. :( Do any Passat owners have experience with engine noise in addition to the above posts?
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    For what it's worth, my 2003 Passat 1.8T is fine as far as highway noise. Far quieter than my previous car (which is not saying much, since that was a Saturn SL); it's not as quiet as a Camry, but handles better. I'm bothered by noisy cars, and this one doesn't bother me.

I did read some stats on this in a couple of car magazines before I bought last year - one maagazine was Car and Driver, the other...?....anyway, they used a decibel meter at highway speeds. THe Camry was a couple decibels quieter than the Accord or Passat, but they both were quiet. I can look up the details if I didn't toss those files, but if not, prospective buyers can probably find this stuff out there. (Or borrow a decibel meter before you do your test drive??...)

I've been happy with it in other ways too. Mileage, for one: it gets 34 mpg on the highway (if I take the route with the 55 mph speed limit, where I go 60ish; on the interstate, where people rarely go below 70, it's closer to 30 mpg). No oil consumption (two changes so far; it's at 12,000 miles). It handles the twisty highways around here very well, and is comfortable to be inside for long drives, which I have to do a lot.

So, no buyer's remorse here, which is rare for me.
  • profvhprofvh Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2002 Passat 1.8 tip wagon with 27,000 miles. It is 2 and 1/2 years old. I have had no
    problems at all with this car in terms of engine
    quietness or vibration. Only exception is when
    I first startup the car in the morning. It is a
    little noisy for a couple of minutes. Highway
    noise is nonexistent.

It is our first VW and it will not be our last.
    Only problem has been one replaced headlight. Car
    handles well and the size is perfect for carrying
    most bigger items. It is alot more enjoyable to
    drive than my kids Toyota 4 Runners and yet will
    hold nearly anything I want to put into the hatch.

Also, the car is still very tight and the fit and
    finish of this car rivals any car. So far, a fine
    machine.
  • meandeanmeandean Member Posts: 13
    I have both a 2000 turbo and 2004 6 cyl. The 2004 6 cylinder is amazingly quiet -- probably because you don't get the turbo whine when you hit the gas but also because I'll bet that VW increased sound dampening in the 4 years between my two models.

You will get a pretty good, slightly throaty sound when you hit the gas to engage the turbo...not anything I'd call "bad" engine noise.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    WHY CAN'T YOU BUY A VW WITH TDI IN CALIFORNIA
    BUT YOU CAN BUY A BIG DIESEL TRUCK?NEVER MIND THE TRUCK LOBBYIST WHAT'S THE COMMON SENSE REASON?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...to the California Air Resources Board, or log on to their website, and follow along.

The short answer is that both VW and MB have to design their engines for the worst case in the US, which is diesel fuel with 200-300 ppm of sulfur. When tuned to deal with this crud, even when running with the cleaner fuel available in CA [ there's the ultimate irony! ], the current emissions requirements for the five states using CARB standards can't be met consistently enough for them to warrant the engines for the required time and miles.

Both promise that when low sulfur fuel is mandated nationwide [late '06], they will endeavor to meet even the tough 2007 CARB regs with diesels. MB wants to use urea injection, VW has other ideas, and even the Japanese have indicated interest. All of this depends on getting the crap we call diesel fuel in this country cleaned up - it could have happened years ago, and in fact it did happen years ago in Europe.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Now THAT sounds painful . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    The stuff is stored in a separate onboard tank, injected as needed to control NOX and particulate emissions. The trick is to get it to last long enough that it would only have to be refilled during routine servicing, say no more often than every 15k miles, and preferably longer.

If this is good for a giggle, then have one courtesy of Daimler-Benz. Autoweek, the MBCA house mag [The Star], Motor Trend, Automobile, Car & Driver have all talked about progress on meeting the '07 emissions regs with diesel engines. Whatever works...
    I noticed that VW has withdrawn the marketing support for the Passat as of June 1st. The only rebate is the $1,000 loyalty cash back. I hope VW decides to rev up the incentives next month.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Looks like incentives are back. Check the Edmunds TMV incentives and the $2,000 marketing support to dealers resumed 6-2. Also the $1,000 plus low financing option is there.
    WOW! That didn't take long for VW to start the incentives again!!
    If anyone who reads these BLOGS has direct first hand experience with a sport Passat W8, I would like to know about it -- I have NEVER heard, on any board, anyone talk (write) about their sport suspension equipped, 6spd manual transmission Passat W8 -- were ANY sold, EVER????
    Can someone tell me what exactly leatherette is?
    Synthetic leather -- no animals, well, OK some trilobytes, died to cover your seats. It does not breathe like leather. It does not smell like leather -- it looks and feels, generally, like leather -- it costs less than real leather.

Think of cream and coffee mate -- leatherette is coffee mate. It isn't bad, but it isn't real either.

The quality of plastic leather has improved so much over the past years, that many folks would hardly miss leather or PLEATHER as it is sometimes called.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks!!!! I sat in a Passat that has Leatherette and it did smell like leather.....any recommendations......??
  • alwaysshoppingalwaysshopping Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Passat GLX. It's a great car. The steering is nice and tight and the driving experience is fantastic. The Monsoon stereo is great even compared to what's available today in new cars.

Unfortunately, the service is atrocious. I've had several small problems that took many tries to fix. An oil leak took 7 tries. I'm taking it in today for the 5th try to fix a coolant leak. The service departments of the two local dealerships are incompetent, and that sounds like it's typical for the entire brand.

It's a great car, but for me it definitely hasn't been worth the hassle. It'll be a long time before I buy another VW if ever.
  • vwconcernvwconcern Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone share their experience with the 6 cyl. 2004 passat glx??

How about the learching issue when coming to a stop (I've read a few posts describing it like getting hit from behind)? As of June '04 vw of A has said its a glitch they're working on but i haven't seen any posts saying they fixed the issue? is this another example of vw not owning up to a huge recall like the coils on the 1.8ts?

My wife and I previously owned a 2002 1.8T passat which had a bunch of issues beyond the coils (monsoon, dash, etc.)

However, we loved the style and feel of vws and are considering the 6cyl despite our better judgment.

Unfortunately we've had many other issues with vw.

We first owned a 2000 jetta which turned out to be a complete lemon (over 12 times in for service for same serious problems) - we forced vw of A to buy it back.

The worst experience to date however was that our 2002 passat was recently stolen off the vw of santa monica, ca dealers lot!!! We brought the car in for a routine oil change - soon after, their security guard opened their gate and just let a thief drive off with our car - nice huh. the dealer has been horrible to my wife and I - i suspect because they know they are liable (legally under mutual bailment) and they want to scare us off

Still - even after everything we've been through - my wife and i are having a hard time settling for a generic honda accord

we are still considering a new passat - but this learching issue might be the end of a rough vw relationship

any advice welcome - thanks!
  • vwconcernvwconcern Member Posts: 5
    I understand your pain - I've had many vw issues with my car and almost every vw dealer service dept. in los angeles. VW corp. needs to wake up and realize that their dealers service departments are just as much if not more of a problem then their many "service actions" and recalls.

Even still - i loved(you'll notice past tense here) my 2002 passat and i'm considering purchasing another one despite my best judgment ---which i'm pretty sure i've lost all sense of

read my post 7161 just after this one to see how truly sick i am...
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    You seem to be addicted to VW, my friend.

Had I experienced 1/3 of the problems you have with the brand, I would be running - no, make that rocketing - in the opposite direction.

There are many other automotive options that reside between VW and a Honda Accord. If you are looking for something quirky like VW yet dependable, why not look at the new Legacy from Subaru?
    ...the products available these days give you lots to choose that don't involve the incredible dealer incompetence that appears to be the pattern for VW in this country. When I first started buying VWs in the early '60s, they had some of the best dealers to be found anywhere - now look - it's really pathetic that VW thinks it can go "upscale" with a dealer body that fails as consistently as these guys do.

There are good ones out there, but somehow never close to where YOU live...
    and so far the experience has been good, although I only have 1500 miles on it. Initially the dealer had failed to hook up the Onstar but that only took a short stop (15 min.) into service for correction.

I have lousy AM reception on the radio but they (dealer's service dept) tells me it is not fixable and is caused by Onstar. I am not sure that's true but since I rarely turn on the radio, it is not a problem.

As for learching when coming to a stop, I have not experienced any of that. The car is really quiet and smooth and handles beautifully.

I traded in a 2003 Subaru Forester 2.5XS Premium which was faultless. But it was noisy, rode hard, had a goofy automatic transmission shifter, and a few other little annoyances. While I had no tire troubles I did learn that if I needed to replace a tire, for whatever reason, I could not just replace one, but had to replace all four to keep the 4-wheel drive in some kind of a balance.

I was reluctant to buy a Passat because of all the negative reports about VW, and I am still a little nervous about it, but CR rated the V6 Passat GLX (along with the Accord) as the best family sized sedan, so I bit the bullet. While color should not be so important, we really like ours which is Wheat Beige.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Why is an Accord the only option if you don't get a Passat?
    There are plenty of alternatives.
  • catherine9catherine9 Member Posts: 31
    What are the alternatives? Passats have the safety features of much more expensive cars. The 2005 Legacy sedan is the only other car I could find with head airbags in the front and back. You can get both cars for about $22,000. For those of us with small incomes, there really isn't much of a choice in terms of safety.

Has anyone looked at the interior of the base model Legacy? I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of a VW owner. On the Subaru board, they're a little biased.

I agree with the above posters--there's a lot to love about Volkswagens even with all their problems.