Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• tobygtobyg Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone done the 48 month Driver Option plan? I'm skeptical, can anyone tell me their experience with this plan? Pros and cons? Potential new VW owner here. Thanks.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There's a lot of interest in diesel vehicles these days and the Passat TDI has hit the streets. We have a VW Passat TDI discussion that provides a dedicated place to discuss the TDI apart from the gas-engine Passats.

Check it out ... owning a TDI is not a requirement for admission, interest in the subject will get you in the door. ;)
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    The car is a 2003, purchased in May 2003...

It's not new car smell as that doesn't bother me in the least. When we get the Passat back in 8 weeks I'm going to take it to a detail shop and see if they can do anything...or to VW...and let it sit in my garage with the windows down.

It'll be so strange to go from Sienna to Passat!

Thanks again,

Carrie
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Passat is a driver's vehicle. Sienna is a Mom-mobile.
    Just my opinion, maybe not politically correct.
    You are right, the Passat is a driver's vehicle and the Sienna is a Mom-mobile and that is what they are intended to be. My Sienna has been perfect for the two kids and myself and that is exactly how it should be.

My cousin bought a Passat wagon 4 months ago and loves it! She has just one toddler so space isn't *too* much of an issue for her. But she just loves her Passat wagon!

My Passat sedan was a blast to drive, a lot of fun and my father-in-law has loved driving it. I'm sure I'll get comfortable quickly in my Passat again, minus the freakin' smell!

Carrie
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Can someone please confirm this is correct......What is the proper tire pressure for a Passat with 15" tires. My door jam says front-35psi and rear-44psi. 44psi sounds really high. When I checked my tires after taking delivery Sat, all tires were at 30 psi. Obviously, someone forgot to check the pressure.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I'm going to guess that you have an '04 model. Prior to '04 (I have an '03 wagon, 1.8T, Tip, GLS with OEM 195/65-15 Michelin MXV4 tires on the OEM "Wellington" alloy wheels), the pressures read considerably lower and were posted on the gas flap.

Mine reads:

<100 mph: 28 F / 28 R at half load; 30 F / 39 R Full Load

>100 mph: 30 F / 28 R at half load; 33 F / 42 R Full Load.

I've read (but haven't independently confirmed) that the Federal Gov't changed the regulations and now requires auto manufacturers to post only one tire pressure (the highest one, I guess) in the face of the Ford Explorer/Firestone fiasco.

So, what at what pressure do I keep my tires?? 32 or 33 PSI all around! But I never get to go over 100 mph, either!
    Thanks for the feedback!!

That's interesting! Yes, I do have a 2004.5 with Continental Tires. The same size as yours: 195/65-15. I looked on the gas door, but my tire info is on the drivers door jam. It clearly states 35psi for front tires and 44psi for rears. 44psi sounds like the MAX psi for the tires. If the new regulations you state are correct, then VW policy needs updating.
    Is is necessary to idle after driving the 1.8t engine to allow the turbo to cool?
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    My 03 Passat GL 1.8T is at 14,000 miles now, and I'm starting to hear this very subtle "noise" that I've never noticed before. Is it a problem, and if so, what? I'll try to describe it.

It happens only in one situation: (a) the car has been parked and turned off for a while, (b) Okay, I start, pull out of the parking spot, come to a full stop, and put it into Drive. (c)I give it some gas and it starts moving forward. It's then that I hear the noise. I don't know whether to call it a "crunch" sort of noise or what, but it's not loud at all- very subtle and brief. Sometimes I've wondered if I drove over a small bump or something. I think once I felt some slight kick in the gas pedal, but I haven't been able to re-produce that.
    So that's all. It doesn't happen any time later in the drive, even after I've been stopped at a stoplight. It doesn't even happen if I put it in park and then start driving again (without turning off the engine). Only after it's been parked and turned off for a while.

So, experts: any ideas what this is? How significant is it? What should be done?
    Thanks!
    B
    ...but I doubt you felt it in the gas pedal as your car (as is mine) DBW or Drive by Wire. There is no physical connection between the pedal and the engine. I'm at about the same miles as you are, and I've not heard or felt anything like this. Maybe others will pipe in with some hints.
    Thanks altair - you're right, there's no feeling of it in the pedal. And it's a very soft sound, you almost have to listen for it. But it's reproducible every time. Don't know whether to describe it as a click or clack (or mild crunch) but it's right after you step on the accelerator, going forward, after it's been parked. Doesn't happen again for the entire drive, even when you stop at a sign. It's so small it wouldn't bother me except that it didn't happen for the first 14K miles and only just started.
    Any clues or suggestions, anyone? (I will be taking it in for the 15K oil-lube-filter soon, so if it continues I'll ask the dealer. But the more I can learn beforehand, the better.)
    Thanks!
  • taft4taft4 Member Posts: 57
    04 Passat GLX V6 sedan has led me to these conclusions. It is probably the best driving car I have ever owned, and we have owned 46 of them since we first entered the car market. It is quiet, smooth, and fun to drive. We have owned a quieter and smoother car (97 Lincoln Towncar) but it was cumbersome to drive and bulky to park.

On the other hand this is the first new car we have owned in over 30 years that is requiring so many trips to the dealer for repairs. The OnStar did not work when we picked it up, next we discovered that the AM band on the radio is lousy and cannot be fixed. ("It's a trait of the car," I was told). Next we soon found that sometimes as we slow to a stop the AT emits a bang and a large thumpy jerky feeling, and from I have read here and elswhere that too is going to be a trait that they cannot fix. And just yesterday the air conditioner fan started screaming. I am retired so it is no sweat to take the car back to the local dealer as I will be doing again, but I think about the people who work and have to take time off to get their vehicle repaired, and I can understand their anger.

Crazy as it may seem I still like the car but I have to wonder how VW can afford to keep fixing most of what they manufacture and also survive the bad publicity.

I note that the new J.D. Powers Reliability Survey of 3 year old cars (2001 models) places VW 33rd out of 37.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    . . .this sound should ONLY be of concern if you "don't hear it" any more. It has probably been there from the beginning, day one, first time you started it -- seriously.

Now, since your description was fairly broad and therefore possibly ambiguous, I will qualify your "noise" reporting by saying you should certainly have this looked into if your concern grows or does not in anyway subside after I give you the explanation.

BTW, with some 7,200 messages here on this one town-hall alone you should know that this has been discussed numerous times on the VW and Audi town-halls and every time I see such a query, I do attempt to give the same answer -- and, may I suggest that it is pretty easy to search (using edmund's) search tool.

OK here goes:

The sound you are hearing is from the ABS, ABS+brake assist and/or ESP "hardware" that is under the hood of your car. When the car is turned on, several things happen that "initialize" the ABS electronics, hydraulics and associated hardware. The noise you hear, as I recall, does not happen until the car "moves" (and I don't think it matters if it moves forwards or backwards) it does not matter if the car is auto or manual, gas or diesel -- it must however, have ABS -- and I believe it is the Bosch ABS "pump" initialization sound that you hear, when the car moves after it is started.

In other words, you can start the car and NOT move for a minute or two and the sound doesn't happen -- but the moment you back the car out of the garage or pull it forward out of the parking space, a combination hum/crunch/moan/"raspberry"(almost a flatulent thripppppp/hmmmmmm) followed by a sound something like a tightly coiled spring coming unwound rapidly. It happens, or at least I notice it happening after the car has been parked for a time. It is NOT temperature related, although I seem to hear it more clearly in the winter. I also must note that I only hear it if I have the radio OFF when I start the car and I am alone in the car (and therefore not distracted or in conversation).

This sound -- please if you are still concerned, check it out -- just goes with the technology.

I hope this helps.
    Dear Markcincinnati,
    You've nailed it. It did occur to me that it's so soft it could have been going on since Day 1 without my noticing it until now. And you're right, it happens when I first move the car, whether forward or backward. And yes, the car does have ABS/ESP. So... "problem" solved. Thanks!
  • dfmarcusdfmarcus Member Posts: 12
    "Next we soon found that sometimes as we slow to a stop the AT emits a bang and a large thumpy jerky feeling, and from I have read here and elswhere that too is going to be a trait that they cannot fix. "

I had this problem on my 2004 GLX 4-motion. It was fixed 2 weeks ago. Don't let them tell you this is normal.
  • frostmanfrostman Member Posts: 1
    It's time for my Passat to have a 40,000 mile serivice and I want to find the bext place to take it to in San Francisco Bay Area. Any suggestions please? I would prefer the Peninsula area.

Cheers
    All incentives are back from VW. $1,000 owner loyalty as well as $2,000 manufacturer to dealer rebates.
  • carmanecarmane Member Posts: 6
    2002 GLX 4 motion Problem 1: My driver's side power window groans when it goes up and down. Sometimes when it's doing an auto-up, it hits the top and goes right back down. Problem 2: When I'm adjusting my driver's side rear view mirror with the round adjustor (and it's set to "L"), the driver's side mirror moves but so does the passenger side mirror.

Dealer's diagnosis: the problems are related and he needs to replace one mechanism. I'm under warranty so that's fine with me.

Has anyone had this problem? Does the diagnosis sound right?

Love the car and still think it's the best drive for the money. However, it's been in the shop far too many times in the < 3 years I've had it (leaky rack, broken rear washer nozzle, dead back speaker, etc.) I'm wary of hanging onto it beyond the warranty so will be weighing a comprehensive extended vs. a new car.
  • taft4taft4 Member Posts: 57
    dfmarcus:

I appreciate your advice about the problem with the AT, and that it is fixable. When I take my car in for service in the next 30 days I will demand that they eliminate that same problem in my transmission.
  • maruskamaruska Member Posts: 9
    This Saturday, I will be purchasing the GLS VW Passat at a local New Jersey dealer. Even though, I am excited to get the car (this will be my first brand new car), I am a little nervous after reading all these messages regarding the VW. I've been reading the prices that some of you have paid for the 2004 Passat and I am a little confused regarding MSRP versus invoice, etc. The dealer that I am buying from, gave me these prices (not including taxes and title and registration): Velour or leatherette at $21,900; leatherette with cold package (heated seats) at $22,300; leather with cold package at $23,400; leather with wood and cold package at $23,835. My question is: are these prices reasonable or can I haggle a little lower? Are these below or above invoice? These have been the lowest prices quotes that I've gotten since March 2004 when I started checking the prices on the 2004 Passat. Owners or experts on the subject advise. Desperately need some pointers. Thanks.
  • holenone79holenone79 Member Posts: 20
    How long have you been shopping? Maybe the dealer knows you are not in any rush to buy and thus are not getting their attention or the best price.
    Those prices seem very competitive. As I have stated in previous posts, I purchased (leased) a 2004 Passat GLS Automatic 2 weeks ago and the price quote I received was $21,900. This is $1,000 below invoice. It looks like you got the same quote. My price was with $2,000 manuf to dealer cash back and $1,000 owner loyalty.
    you should be able to be the car for $200 over invoice----then subtract any rebates and incentives!! now redo the math and see what you come up with.
    I have been shopping since March 2004 and this is a new dealer that I sent an e-mail. Compared to the other dealers, his prices are much lower for 2004 GLS VW Passat. I am really interested in the car with leather/cold pkge and wood. Do you think I can get him to lower it a little more? Do you own the Passat? If so, has it been reliable? I am reading all these messages and I kind of get nervous.
    To the 2004 GLS VW Passat owners out there: could you tell me of your maintenance experiences on this car (like tune-ups, brake pads, brake shoes, suspension alignmnet, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, etc, etc.
    I've been told that the parts on this car (once the warranty expires) are expensive. How expensive are they?
    Do the math as I suggest, and make the dealer a firm offer. If they dont accept, walk out and go to another dealer. I have a 2002 1.8 5-speed. I really enjoy the car. Its comfortable, quiet, smooth, and powerful for a 1.8, especially with the 5-speed.

Is it as reliable as the hondas and toyotas I have owned?---no. I have 29000 miles on it. In the 27 months I have owned it, I have had to do the following:

one left daylight running light burned out
    one right daylight running light burned out
    the dash had some bubbling in it and was replaced
    front brake rotors warped
    oll leak
    minor rattles in the dash and right pillar.

Nothing that has ever stranded me on the side of the road. I bring the car in for scheduled service every 5000 miles. The service has been outstanding. They really go out of their way to exceed my expectations. Far better service than any toyota or honda dealer. However this might just be the luck of the draw where you live. I am leasing the car on a 48 month 60000 mile term. I think its a great four year car. Beyond that and out of warranty, I might be a little nervous. I have this feeling that it will not age as gracefully as the better Japenese imports. Would I lease one again--absolutely, especially if there are nice fat incentives available at that time.

I should also add that all of the above work was done under warranty.
    I've been using Valvoline 5W-40 synth oil in my Passat with no trouble. It's time for an oil change and I could go get some. But I did notice that now Mobil 1 has added this weight to its synthetic lineup. My question is: Mobil 1 calls their stuff "Truck and SUV SAE 5W-40 Synthetic oil" for "Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Engines". It provides "outstanding protection for gasoline powered trucks and SUVs" and "hard-working diesel powered pickup trucks and SUVs."

This does not sound like my 1.8T Passat. Is this Mobil 1 oil really only for trucks and SUVs - is it in some way different from the Valvoline 5W 40, making it less suitable for my comparatively litte Passat? Should I stick with the Valvoline? Or is this Truck/SUV stuff just market "positioning", and the Mobil would work fine in the Passat?

Thanks!
    I believe that Mobil 1 SUV is simply repackaged Mobil Delvac. But let's look at what the specs require:

If I recall correctly, my owner's manual states that the oil must meet the following specs either singly or in combination: the current API spec, an ACEA spec, and 5w-40. I'm giving serious thought to using it, after I deplete my Valvoline stock. When I do, I'll check out Bob's oil site for more info and make a final decision. Probably price and availability will dictate my decision.
  • cadrewcadrew Member Posts: 10
    I just got a 2004 Passat GLS with auto. Typically, what is the break in period? Would I be ok to make it 500 miles? I have driven the car on the freeway, but never over 65, and try to drive 60 if I can. I was only on the freeway for a bit to drive it home. Aside from keeping the RPMs low, what else is typical during the break in period?
    As far as I knew, the typical break in period was 1000 miles, and that you should keep the MPH under 55 if you can. Anyone have any more info?

p.s. for those shopping around for one now - I think you can get a GLS with auto for around 21k-22k, but basically, the lower the price, the higher the APR will be on the loan. I got mine for around 21.7k at 1.9% for 5 years with tier 1 credit.
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    My 2002 1.8 passat is getting up there in milage. i love the drive experience , however most of the nuisance problems and then some mentioned byholenone79 I have had. I am concerned that at 50,000 the warranty runs out. Should I decide to keep the car, I am considering an extended policy. Could you please share your opinion with me and perhaps direct me to a recommended company.
    I just got a Passat, but I can tell you this.. you might be better off selling the Passat before the warranty ends, and then get a new one. Are you near 50k miles? If you plan to keep it past 100k miles, then I would say get the warranty. Also, the little problems you have had may become a pain in the rear, even if they are covered by an extended warranty. If you are not upside down on the car, I say sell, and get a new Passat. Mine is great so far, and with integrated blinkers in the side mirrors!
    Just my opinion, but you will decide what would be best for you.
    credit unions usually have very good deals on extended warranties.
    Thanks, Altair!
    You (and many others here, no doubt) understand oil much more than I do - I'm in way over my head - anyway, I looked in my manual (as you suggested) and it says the following must appear "singly or in combination" on the oil container -

VW 503 01 or 505 01
    or
    ILSAC GF3 SAE 5W40...

Now, the Valvoline bottle says it meets VW "502 or 505" (so it doesn't appear to meet 503 01 or 505 01, unless I'm misunderstanding this, which could be the case). But it is ILSAC GF3 SAE 5W40.

Meanwhile, the Mobil1 10-40 says it meets the VW 503 01 (and 502 and 505) spec. But it is ILSAC 0W-40. So, by those criteria, either oil would work equally well. Did I get that right? And is 0-40 as ok as far as VW is concerned as 5-40?

And if someone could explain this "for dummies" that would be great.

(BTW, I looked up some of the other specs you mention:
    API - owner's manual mentions SH; both Valvoline Synpower 5-40 and Mobil 0-40 have SL/SJ, CF . So both are the same. I somehow assume the SL/SJ is a higher grade that includes SH, but I'm guessing.

ACEA - Both have A3/B3/B4, which seems to be what VW 505.01 requires, according to something on the Web. So this seems to make them equal.)

Again, a "synth oil for dummies" explanation for any of this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
    There is an entire section in your owners manual on break-in period for your Passat. It also goes over the break-in period for the brakes and tires. Am I the only one that actually reads all the information in the owners manual?
    Were they ever able to get rid of the rattles in your dash? I have about 600 miles on my Passat and there is a rattle on the passenger side dash. I am very hesitant to let them touch the dash because of additional rattles that might service.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I read mine too.

However, I was at the Audi factory in Ingolstadt, and their advice with regard to the "break in period" was, "for zee virst 200km, do not activate the brakes as hard as possible and do not run zee engine to its maximum RPM's -- after zat, you may drive at zee top speed."

Of course the owner's manual of the VW (which is essentially the same engine as the Audi) suggests about 600 MILEs as I recall. Apparently, the 200km break in period was more for the tires and brakes than the engine itself, or so I gathered after I grilled the Audi engineer. Initial "engine speed variability" seems to be more important than care and consideration with respect to road speed. Also, the tires are not as "sticky" until they have about "75km" on them.

Personally, I'd go with the manual's recommendations, but be aware that break-in has become a lower priority issue than it used to be.
    Brozhnik,

Okay, let's see if these links will help you:

ACEA Explained: http://motul.com.au/fact_sheets/acea.html
    Basically, A3 refers to superior performance in gasoline engines.

ILSAC and API: http://motul.com.au/fact_sheets/api_ilsac.html
    API SL and ILSAC GF-3 are the latest approvals and indicate that anti-friction, fuel saving performance and oxide stability are enhanced.

VW Specs: A combination of requires including SAE, oil change interval (by mileage and time), ACEA levels, amongst others for gasoline and diesel engines. See: http://motul.com.au/fact_sheets/volkswagen.html

I hope this will help. Thanks to Motul Lubricants for providing this info.

Bottom line, I don't think you can really go wrong with Mobil 1 0w-40, Mobil 1 5w-40, or Valvoline Synpower 5w-40, since all meet either singly or in combination the recommendations of VW.
    Thanks. I will take it easy for a couple hundred more miles, and of course read the manual first. So far so good, though with this car. Audi feel with the Audi price tag...
    One local dealer says he uses Mobil1 synthetic 5W-30 (not 40) oil on the 1.8T Passat (regardless of VW recommendations). He doesn't seem to like Valvoline. I wonder if he's got a good deal on Mobil1 oil (and he did say that 5w-40 is hard to get) or if there's a better reason. Does 5w-30 make sense for the Passat? (I recall hearing that the "40" is helpful with the heat that the turbo can generate - although I admit I'm just parroting that, not being an oil guy.)

The other dealer in my area uses 5W-40, Castrol. (Or I can bring my own Valvoline synth 5W-40 or Mobil1 0W-40).

Recommendations or comments?
    Thanks again!

(This is a great topic for me to get obsessive about, isn't it? But at least I'm finding it interesting. And I still have a couple days before needing the service, so...)
  • birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    Thanks holenone79. I actually was considering another car at 50,000. It just seems so wrong to me that I can not hold onto the passat with confidence. It seems at times to be a nusisance time bomb ( excuse the use of the word please) However I do not know when I will be back in service. It seems to be every few months . I have never experienced this with my Nissan, Mazda or Honda vehicles in the past, however I have never had such a good performing car and fun to drive as well. What a situation
    the service technician told me he would have to take the dash apart for that annoyiong vibration, rattle that seems to occur at temps under 65 degrees. I would not allow that for the obvious.I have tried many different materials . My latest is 1 inch fish tank clear tubing. I wedged it in between the dash and window. It seems to of quieted the annoying rattle for now. As someone else suggested , I took a piece of black sock and wedged it in between the door panel and door. This seemed to help. but why on earth should we have to do this in the first place???
    Brozhnik,

I was waiting for you to come to the 5w-30 question! Yes, 5w-40 is not the most easily found viscosity. Certainly 5w-30 is much more available, although the Mobil 1 5w-40 is starting to be more visible.

Shortly after I bought my 2003 wagon, some people started to post that their owner's manual had a supplement in the back that read (and I've lifted this from another forum):

"From a page titled "Insert to Tips and Advice 2003 Passat" (booklet/livret 3.5), quote:

"Your engine was factory filled with an all season high quality engine oil that has a viscosity grade of SAE 5W-40. You can use this oil over all temperature ranges for normal driving. If you need to add oil between oil changes use any high quality petroleum or synthetic oil with correct specifications. If engine oil viscosity grade SAE 5W-40 is not available, you can also use SAE 5W-30."

Further down the page (under heading "General Recommendations"):

"If SAE 5W-40 or 5W-30 viscosity grade oil is not available in your area, be sure to always use a viscosity grade suitable for the climate and seasonal conditions that exist where the vehicle is being operated."

These guidelines apply to the 1.8T and 2.8 engines. The page does go on to state that the 4.0 W8 engine should only use 5W-30 for topping off or adding oil.

I don't have this supplement in my manual; maybe you do - look in the back. However, it sure sounds like the only engine that is absolutely bound to use 5w-40 for a complete oil change is the W8. Good luck!
  • donein05donein05 Member Posts: 9
    We've had our V6 AT 4Motion wagon for 2 weeks now with a few trips under our belt (1700 miles). On 2 occasions while coasting in traffic at about 10-15mph, after going to accelerate there is a pause (as this AT seems to do) as it hunts for whether I want 1st or 2nd, and when it chooses I get a truly horrible clunk after which both times my wife asks if we've been rear-ended (just to illustrate). Also, this is with light throttle...i can only imagine if i was really in a hurry.

anybody else experience this, please point to a previous post if i missed it. thanks
    I was over on the Passat 'Prices Paid" board and noticed a post regarding leather/leatherette in the Passats. Pardon my ignorance, but I thought if you chose the leather option, you were getting just that- leather. Do Passats have leather seats or are they leatherette? Or do you now have the option between the two?

Thanks,

Carrie ~2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T AT, Candy White/Beige Leather(ette?) interior
    You have the option to have leather or synthetic leather (leatherette) on 2004 models. I have a 2004.5 Passat GLS with leatherette. The leatherette is a no cost option of GL and GLS. It looks just like leather, without the smell. Everyone that has seen my car remarks on the leather interior. Looks real good in my opinion. To disinguish the two, the leatherette has holes on the seating surface while the leather is a solid material.
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    Hello,

I am not a Passat driver but a friend of mine is. He is having issues with the steering in his 2002.5 Passat V6 4-Motion. He has 88,000 highway miles currently on the car. His (reliable) dealership informed him that he needs a new steering column for issues he is having.

Does this sound right? Would a car with 88,000 miles need a new steering column? Anyone else with a 2002 Passat have his issue?

Thanks!
    Thanks fish8! I went to the vw.com site after posting and did see the new seating options. I do have the "real deal" which smells terrible to me!

Enjoy your new Passat! What color did you get?

Carrie ~2003 VW Passat GLS 1.8T AT, Candy White/Beige Leather interior
    You're Welcome!!!

I have Reflex Silver on my '04 Passat. I really wanted Silverstone, but they would of had to drive the car in from out of state. so, I went for my second choice in colors with 7 miles on the odometer.

Want to trade seat coverings? ;-)
    Over the weekend I encountered my first problem with my new Passat (1200 miles). I went to put in a cd in the cd player (while the power was off) and when I turned the power on the CD did not go into the player. I pushed the cd in and the player never recognized the cd and I was unable to eject the CD. Not sure if this was caused by me or if the cd player broke. So I made an appointment for tomorrow morning. Also, while I was on the phone I told them about a rattle I am experiencing on the passenger side dash near the A pillar where the glass and dash meet. The service rep knew exactly what I was talking about and said he saw several Passats with this issue and it could be fixed. I thought that was good. I did ask if they had to pull the dash and they said no, only the glove box. I never like to see the techs disassembling the dash. So, we will see how it all turns out. they are also giving me a loaner so I won;won't be too inconvienenced.
    Just read your post regarding the VW Passat with leather. I am thinking about getting the 2004 GLS VW Passat within the next two weeks and was thinking of getting the leather. You mentioned that the leather "smells". How bad does it smell? If it is that bad, I will definitely go with the leatherette. Let me know. Thanks, Maruska