Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• turbotorqueturbotorque Member Posts: 45
    I've seen much discussion about this. How would I know if I had an oil sludge problem?
  • turbotorqueturbotorque Member Posts: 45
    Are there any 100,000 mile + 1.8T owners out there? How has it held up over the long haul?

My 02 GLS 1.8T has about 40,000 miles on it, very few problems. I am getting to the point where I have to buy out the lease or turn it in for something else.

From reviewing the classifieds, the lease buyout price appears to be less than what I'd pay if I were going to do a private party used car purchase.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    How do you like Satelite radio? I am considering getting Sirius of XM radio for Christmas and want to kow if it is worth the cost?
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2000 GLS 1.8T/Tip wagon bought new and now with 145,000 miles on it and no sign of a sludge probem (no deposits around filler cap. I've used nothing but synthetic oil from 25,000 miles onward. My local Walmart will do a Mobil 1 0W40 oil and filter change for $33, which is less than the dealer charges for 10W30 regular oil.

Actually this has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. The only repairs it's needed are to replace the ball joint ends at 120K, replace the mass air sensor at 99K and two repairs to unjam the moon roof and shade, one under warranty and one a few months ago.

None of the electrical gremlins that haunt VWs and Audis have appeared in mine, with one minor exception. The light in the driver's side sun flap visor no longer goes on when the mirror cover is opened. It can't be repaired and I have chosen not to replace the entire visor assembly.

I will keep this car until doing so becomes more expensive than to replace it. Right now it provides pleasant and treliable transportation with no monthly payments. When I do replace it it will be with an AWD wagon about the same size as the Passat.

I was looking at the Jaguar X type sport wagon, but do not like the "J gate" shifter and the car received terrible side-impact crash ratings. Volvo V70s are fun to drive ony in the very high performance versions, otherwise the ride and handling feel sloppy to me. The new turbo Legacy/Outback wagonss are fun to drive, but the front seats have so little leg room that even six-footers can't stretch out. The E class and A6 cost more than I want to spend.

I guess I'll have to hope mine lasts another couple of years until the next version Passat wagon comes to market.
  • indycar1indycar1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 1999 GLS 1.8T that appears to be in very good condition at 54,000 miles. Noticed a thick cake of pink residue on the engine just above where the oil filter attaches. I am guessing it was a coolant leak since the coolant reservoir and hoses are right above the filter. Assuming no recurring leak, is it a problem to leave the residue?
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    This is a common issue on the 1.8T. The residue is coolant leaking at the oil cooler, not from coolant dripping from the hoses or reservoir above it. The oil cooler uses coolant to moderate the temperature of the oil.

I'd suggest that you remove the residue and closely observe the area in the future because I don't think the leak issue is resolved. If it were, the crud would have been removed during the repair. Keep a close eye on the coolant reservoir, as well.

You don't want coolant getting into the oil or oil getting into the coolant. And you don't want to lose too much coolant (you'll get that nasty chime alarm and a note on the MFA on the instrument cluster).
  • bluelightbluelight Member Posts: 2
    I had a rude experience recently with my 2001 GLS 1.8T. I started hearing a moaning from the steering, took it in to get its power steering checked, and found the reservoir completely dry. I had not had any steering problems before but when I had the issue checked out further I was told the hose, connections, and rack were leaking. Kicker: the car is 4 years old and has 55,000 miles. I was told this car is really young for such a problem but that Audi A4s of similar age are having similar problems. Have others out there experienced this? Have you found any recourse except to pay 1000plus for the repair? It seems like this should not be happening at this time in this car's life. (Other than this little problem I love this car...however, I'm also wondering if Passats are having other serious problems as they age. If so, I would question the fiscal sense of holding on to this car.) Would love and appreciate any views on this. Thanks.
  • sequencesequence Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased an 04 GLS 2WD manual 4K miles ago, my recent driving brings me through 40+ lights and stop signs a day, 200+ shifts a day is getting old. I'm thinking of taking a hit and trading it towards an AWD automatic since the AWD has a $1000 more in incentives. Any thoughts on the performance of the two models? Anyone want to swap?
  • senelsenel Member Posts: 5
    The content is great on Sirius. Unfortunately, the sound quality is lousy for units which play through the fm reciver on factory radios. I have a Blaupunct SR40. It is especially bad in VWs because they tend to have great fm reception, which interferes with the satellite service. If I were to do it over, I would replace my factory radio with a new one that receives satellite.
  • onlysurferonlysurfer Member Posts: 96
    I think the AWD drives better for obvious reason...I have 2002 GLX V6 4Motion with Auto-Tip, would like to trade but not for a VW, I'd happily trade it for BMW 330xi, and if that's out of reach then perhaps X3, Subaru or Mazda.

Check out BMW-X3, there are good lease deals on them. As per last week's news paper, "well equipped" x3 can be leased for about 5k due at inception and $139 a month. Though heard that x3 drives choppy.
  • sequencesequence Member Posts: 3
    Are you satisified with the 02 GLX 4motion? Is trading to upgrade or are you not satisified with the VW?
  • jessegjesseg Member Posts: 9
    I need to replace the tires on my 2002 GLS Passat. The OEM tires had good wear and reasonable performance. What are your experience with other tires. I'm interested in good handling and exceptional dry and wet breaking. There's no snow or ice where I drive.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    How many miles did you get out of the OEM's? You can never go wrong with Michelins.
  • onlysurferonlysurfer Member Posts: 96
    I'm totally satisfied with my Audi A5 (oops, it’s VW GLX V6 4Motion) while going on-ramp with tip set on third gear, engine raving up to 5000 with the pace about to exceed the posted speed limit, the disappointment comes when I have to let go the accelerator.

The misery starts when I look back at the dash where I see the "check engine" light is illuminated for the nth time in less then three years. I'll have to drop car at the dealer for yet another non scheduled repair...

Needless to say, this is my last VW.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I would suggest you move to a "plus zero" configuration for your current wheels.

Probably something like a 205 x 60 x 15 in a UHP all season flavor. Possibly a 215 would be OK, the folks at the tirerack.com or tires.com or some other e-tailer of tires can help you with the right size. Plus Zero will improve just about everything you like about your car.

Year round drivability and good wear. However, if you have no weather below 40 degrees F, you could go UHP Summer tires and enjoy great performance, but probably somewhat shorter lifespan.
    I'm often wrong so please take this with a grain. . .

The check engine light generally comes on regularly and frequently due to "driver" error. What error is that you say?

Believe it or else, the main trigger is the gas cap.

My wife's TT check engine light used to come on all the time -- one day I watched her fill up. Pump clicks off, she returns the hose and puts the gas cap on turning to "resistance."

I put the cap on and when I reach resistance I turn until I hear a click click click -- long story short: tech at Audi resets engine light and says "please make the gas cap click at least twice every time you fill up." From then on, no more check engine light.

Tech claimed that oversight (on the salesperson's part when he/she delivered the car to you) was the #1 cause of the check engine light.

Drive it like you live.
    55,000 miles and they still have remaining thread ... so there's no complaint on that score. They do need replacing and I wanted to see if there were better performing tires than the OEMs.
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I just replaced the OEM tires on my 2000 GLS this past weekend. Tire choice really depends on how you drive as well as local weather conditions. I got 72,000 miles on the OEM Continentals and could have gone a bit farther. I chose the new Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I was more interested in the long life and wet/snow capability of the tire as opposed to performance. But again, this is purely based on driving style and need.
    Do you have the 15" alloy wheels or the steel wheels with hub caps? If you have the steel wheels with hub caps you may have problems with the plus zero switch to a 205/60/15 tire. The extra width of the tire on that wheel can pop the hub cap off during cornering. Just a thought.
    So far I have about 300 miles on the new Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires and they are nice. I never thought the OEM Continentals had great wet weather traction, it was just OK. We had rain here today and the Goodyears were very good.
    I didn't think that the Goodyear TripleTreds met either the speed rating or load rating of the OEM tires. Or am I mistaken?
    You are correct about the speed rating. The continentals are H rated whereas the Goodyears are a T rated tire. I am not concerned about this change. I have read the information and I just don't think this change will affect the safety of the tire. As far as the load rating, the Continental ContiTouring Contact has load rating of 87H and a max load of 1,190 lbs. The Goodyear TripleTred had a load rating of 89T and a max load of 1,279 lbs.
    I would not worry about the speed rating that much either. How often do any of us get to cruise at 118 mph (T speed rating) anyway?

BTW, Tire Rack shows the OE ContiTouring Contact CH95 as having a load rating of 91H. I'm up on this stuff right now 'cause I'm in the market for replacement tires, too. The Conti is still in the running, but I'm also looking at the Bridestone Turanza LS-H. Pretty wide spread in prices between the two, though.

Enjoy the new tires, I've read a few reviews that sound like it's a very good tire.
    I was looking at the spec's for the Continental in the 195/60/15 size instead of the 195/65/15 that is on the Passat. In that case, the Goodyear does have a lower load rating when compared to the Continental. I guess I will need to go on a diet.
    By the way, it snowing madly here in St. Louis today so it is a good test of the new tires. What a huge difference. Of course, I was driving on the original tires with 72,000 miles and almost no siping left. Driving on the new Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds today was a great deal more confidence inspiring than the tires I took off last week.
  • slow43slow43 Member Posts: 31
    I am an old driver, lots of cars. I just traded my Passat. I have owned some maintenance hogs and been abused by dealers but VW takes it to a new level. If a reliable car is important to you “Buyer be very aware”.
    PS – If you see a full loaded white 2001 Passat sitting on a Toyota lot be warned.
    There's nothing as comforting as new tires when the snow hits! I'm hoping to be all set for that sensation within the next week or so.
  • dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Which Passat did you have and how bad a hit on depreciation did you take? Which Toyota did you get and for how much?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Please elaborate...

What specifically did you have wrong with it. Was it many small annoyances, or show stoppers, such as engine/tranny.

Was it a new or used purchase?

Just curious.
    Thanks.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    Has anyone had experience with Falken Ziex ZE tires that Consumer Reports (Nov 03') rates at the top out of 18 tires for performance all-season tires? They are also reasonable, a set of 4 205/60/15's is only $336 complete with taxes, mounted and balanced. I've only been able to find them at Sears.
  • 99vwpass99vwpass Member Posts: 2
    Hello,I'm looking for some help with my '99 1.8 4-cyl Passat. It's been a great car,but I've always had a fear of anyone else working on it,While I'm not a mechanic I've relied alot on this board for maintiance. My problem is that when I go above 30-35 mph there is a loud buzzing sound coming from the front right tire (like an outboard motor in the cabin)I've checked the boots and they look ok. I was wondering if anyone thought it might be worn tie-rod ends or if there's something else that I might check. Thanks for any help.
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    Tonight, in the dark, I think I stuck a CD into the CD player upside down. That seems to have immobilized the player - it tells me there's no CD in it, won't eject the CD, and of course, it won't allow another CD in (I tried that just to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering having put the first CD in).
    Anyone know any easy way to get the upside-down CD out of the CD player?
    Thanks.
  • brozhnikbrozhnik Member Posts: 172
    I went out, started the car, and the CD player worked fine. And I had actually inserted the CD correctly. (What actually went wrong the first time? I had inserted the CD while the car was off. When I started it, the CD player didn't seem to have a way to recognize that a CD had been inserted. But when I started it the second time, it responded immediately to the eject button, kicked the CD out, and worked fine when I reinserted it. Go figure...)
    Anyway, all is well...
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Glad your situation worked out.

I did put a CD upside down in my player about a year ago and never could get it out. But, I could still use it. Recently sold the car, and along with it went one of my favorite Cheap Trick CDs ...
    I decided to play it safe and stick to the VW recommended tire size, although a plus 0 or even a 16" tire was tempting. Based on the Consumer report article on performance tires and other recommendations I went with the Bridgestome Potenzas 950s. Costco sells them at a fair price. I've driven for some 200 miles in both rain and dry weather with them and there is a definite improved feel (ride, grip and breaking) to the Passat (02 4Motion wagon) with them compared to the OEM. I don't plan to use them on snow or ice where I don't expect them to do so well.
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    Just as a counterpoint-I have had two miserable experiences with Toyota Camrys. The most recent one resulted in me trading one with 2,500 miles for my Passat wagon and eating a large upside down. I will never, never, ever set foot on a Toyota lot again. On the other hand, we have two Passats and couldn't be happier. I feel sorry for the person that bought my trade. To each his own.
    I have nuthin but good things to say about Falken's -- I always get mine on-line and have them shipped to my [Audi] dealer. I pay the Audi dealer to mount, balance and 4 wheel align (which is free for Audis but NOT for VW's, except the Phaeton).

On line prices are, all over the board, but generally the saving (over retail store prices) is considerable $$$. To each his/her own in this regard. THE ONLY issue I have ever had with Falken's is they don't wear quite as long as some "name brand" tires. The savings, however, more than compensates, IMHO.

I have taken the plunge to Plus 1 size my tires, but I always have Plus 0'd in the past with the only consequence being improved performance.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I have the Falcon Ziex on two different cars and they are very nice.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    markcincinnati

Where did you get the Falkins on-line? I don't think Tire Rack.com carries them.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I bought them from a local goodyear dealer. They were actually cheaper than online, and came with free mounting. It was around $200 for 4 mounted and balanced with tax on my Integra and under $300 on the Oasis.
    Sorry it has been so long to reply.
    On the small stuff: the seat jumping out of its tracks, passenger door handle peel like a snake, and the trunk light that kept burning out. The large stuff: 3 water pumps (1 under warrant), one A/C compressor, 3 throttle control units (1 under warrant), 3 air control modules (1 under warrant), right tie-rod replacement, leak in the coolant system and more but I do not have my records (I burned the maintenance records in my fireplace, big fire).
    Sorry it has been so long to reply.
    On depreciation, I don’t want to talk about it, it still hurts. On Toyota, I got an AWD V6 nonlimited Highlander for 27k. I am very pleased with the highlander.
    The things that frustrated me with my Passat was that after the warranty ran out, the two mechanics I have used in the past would not work on the Passat and the parts were always dealer only. I checked with these two mechanics before I traded to see if they would work on my new vehicle after the warrant ran out. Live and learn.
    Tires.com
    You must be wealthy beyond my imaginiation -- for only the richest folks can afford to keep any car, let alone a European car after the warranty runs out.

Although somewhat sardonic, my wife and I have had 30+ German cars (from Audi, BMW and VW) since 1977. When we even came close to 49,000 miles we bailed, or in one instance (a 1988 Audi 80 quattro sport) purchased an aftermarket 100,000 mile warranty (thank goodnes, since the warranty paid for itself about 2.5 times over).

Live and learn, indeed.

Great cars are made by Germans and Europeans (generally). Reliable cars from that continent are just now starting to appear -- give them another 6 to 10 years and they will be where some Asian cars are TODAY.

And, this is from an Audi-file!
  • chchoichchoi Member Posts: 40
    I just had my V6 GLX oil change at a dealer. The price went up from 40 to 65. Does anyone have the same experience? The rep claims there is a new filter and the cost of filter is higher. However it does not mean I can change oil for a longer period of time. This is non sense..

Also the rep said, they will be using synthetic oil for V6. This mean more expensive oil change. I don't get it!!!! My passat is fine with petro oil. Why do they force me to use synthetic?
  • hawghawg Member Posts: 4
    I've been looking at two '03 Passat sedans, one with 17,000 km and the other with 40,000+ km, but with an extended factory warranty. As I'm new to this board, and haven't taken the time to read all posts, could anyone comment on their experiences with these vehicles. I've heard that the coils and engine oil sludge build up can be a problems, but are there other things I should know? I drive an '02 Jetta, which I love, but hate the incessant electrical niggles. I'd like to get a replacement in the form of a Passat, but question the wisdom of it from my experiences with the Jetta.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    No significant differences in the problems or lack thereof you can expect with a Passat. The electrical "niggles" you refer to are alive and well across the entire spectrum of the VW line [most German cars, for that matter - they all buy from the same suppliers]. Buy a Passat because you want the extra room or better ride, but certainly not because it's going to be any more reliable than your Jetta.
    Great cars no kidding. DO NOT, however, get one without a warranty, unless you are wealthy.

I am a broken record in this regard and both my wife and I are devoted German car fans and owners.

Frankly, these cars are breathtakingly expensive to repair without warranty -- and, despite some claims to the contrary, with experience we (my wife and I) maintain that oil changes basically destroy a $100 bill.

Great driving machines, confidence inspiring, safe and fun -- but they do require lots of cash from time to time to "keep that German-ness" intact.
    >>...we (my wife and I) maintain that oil changes basically destroy a $100 bill.<<

$45 for synth change at my dealer. About the same as at my Honda dealer.
  • chchoichchoi Member Posts: 40
    Which dealer do you go for oil change? 45 for synth oil including oil fileter? I just had my oil changed at a dealer, the filter cost is $20. Total is $65 for non synth oil. It is getting expensive to maintain my passat
    Where do you live that you pay $65 for an oil change? Find a good independent garage and pay $22 to get your oil changed. You can always purchase your own filter for +/-$6 and supply it to the dealer and have them knock down the price.
    I have not had 30+ German cars like Mark, only 4. I have had 3 VW's and 1 Mercedes. I will always argue the opposite on Mark about being rich to keep a VW after the warranty runs out. We have had this friendly discussion before. I believe that it is always going to be cheaper to repair than make continuous car payments. If you are buying new BMW's and Audi's then you are talking monthly payments of $500 plus unless you are putting big dollars down. That is $6,000 a year in payments. Do you really think that I will average $6,000 every year in repair costs on my 2000 Passat? I have 72,000 miles on my Passat and have spent $1,450 on repairs, which includes tires and brakes and $369 on maintenance. I will continue to put the $500 that I would be spending monthly on a car payment into the bank to cover any future repairs. Any one want to wager that the account will continue to grow and not be depleted by repairs? I will agree that the European vehicles are more expensive to repair than their Asian and American counterparts, on average. However, you don't have to be a wealthy person to own one past the warranty.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    You let yourself to be raped by paying 65$ for dino oil change.

I pay 5 (Bosch oil filter) + ~20$ (Mobil 1 0W40 at Walmart or Autozone) + 25$ for work.

It is in MA which is not known as a cheap place.

Krzys