Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    dortega99dortega99 Member Posts: 6
    Willeeb,
    sorry for all those repairs. Definitely a fresh citrus scent would be a first impression. However, the Passat's reliability has been improving over the years, after some initially poor results, according to Consumers Reports, which is the only reason I purchased my 2005.

The 1999 is listed as "poor" in reliability (basically a 1 out of 5, 5 being the best) in Electrical, a 'fair" in:
    - engine
    - fuel system
    - brakes
    - power system
    - body integrity
    -body hardware

a "good" in Cooling, ignition and suspension, a "very good" in Transmission, A/C, Paint/Trim/Rust,

And one excellent - Exhaust system. Generally, other than the crack in the exhaust manifold, these ratngs seem fairly consistent with your troubles.

In comparison (knock on lots of wood!) the 2004's reliability was listed as "Excellent" in every category except electrical, which got a"very good." I am just hoping that the 2005 fares as well as the 2004.
    -david
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Get in the habit of checking your oil on a weekly basis, as recommended in the owner's manual.

1) Is your car consuming too much? Well, the general concensus is that an engine that consumes more than 1 qt per 1,000 miles has a high consumption rate and should be submitted to the dealer for an oil consumption test.

2) Technically, no. One quart in 3,000 miles is not considered excessive by the auto industry. Personally, it would bother me and I'd use the thickest oil that the manual allowed (I'd guess 5w-40, in your case). That grade would probably help slow down the consumption until the engine settles down.

3) The hash marks represent about one quart (possibly one liter). Your owner's manual will tell you.
  • Options
    600k,

thanks for that info. I am suprised, however, that the break-in mileage you mentioned - 15,000 miles or so -- is so high, given it's more than a typical YEAR of driving. :surprise:

As for the other member who also commented - thank you as well. Regarding using a thicker oil - I am using Mobl 1 and was told (and some web searches, for what that's worth, confirmed this as well) that once you use synthetic you cannot go back. Can I get thicker grades in Mobl 1 or is there just one kind?
  • Options
    mrjettemrjette Member Posts: 122
    David,

CR is a good guide, but also has limitations:

1. Only reader responses are collected, which raises the question of bias. Like with this forum or any other internet forum, are people who are having trouble more likely to respond? If so, are the tabulated results valid and reliable? It is indeed information, but not necissarily accurate.

2. If you watch the annual ratings in CR, you will see that they decline with time. The 1999 ratings are for a 6 year old car and one would expect more problems to be reported by the owners. The cars are older and generally have more troubles to report, and are more expensive as they are no longer in warranty. The 2004 ratings are for cars that are only 2 years old, and one would hope they are working reasonably well. While it is a guide to 2004 comparisons (are 2004 VWs more prone to problems than 2004 Hondas or Nissans, etc), it is not a measure of "improved reliability" for the brand when you compare across years. Those same 2004 ratings will in fact decline as the car ages. In six years, those ratings may match the 1999 data you are considering.
  • Options
    You wrote:
    As for the other member who also commented - thank you as well. Regarding using a thicker oil - I am using Mobl 1 and was told (and some web searches, for what that's worth, confirmed this as well) that once you use synthetic you cannot go back. Can I get thicker grades in Mobl 1 or is there just one kind?

Mobil 1 comes in various viscosities. But there is only one that has VW Oil Spec 502.00 approval - 0w-40. Some use the Truck & SUV in 5w-40, but I would stick with approved oil since you are under warranty yet.

Another synthetic that hit 5w-40 and 502.00 approval is Valvoline Synpower.

I'd dispute the comment about the inability of owners to return to non-synthetic oil after using it. Valvoline's websites say you can go back (Here's a quote from their FAQ: Once I switch to synthetics, can I ever switch back to conventional or synthetic blend oils? Yes.). But it's really a moot point...the only oils that have 502.00 approval are synthetic.

I guess the real question is: what grade of Mobil 1 did you use? 5w-30, 0w-40, or what? If 5w-30, you might find that it's really too light of an oil for a VW engine.
  • Options
    walkjcwalkjc Member Posts: 6
    Altair4: thanks for the tip about oil pressure inspections. The dealer found a defect/problem in the crank case breather hose to be the cause of my over pressure problem and that is what caused my valve cover gaskets to fail 4x over 2 years. Hopefully, that'll be the end of this slow leak. I'm still a little sceptical that the breather hose wass actually the problem, but I'll hope that it was. Thanks for the tip!

BTW, aside from this minor oil leak (which was more annoying than damaging), I've had really reliable service from my 1999 GLX V6 sedan. Consumer reports has some bad ratings on the 1999, but I really think you can avoid problems if you take care to do the preventative maintenance before a problem develops (timing belt/water pump change, new spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc). Maybe I've just been sort of lucky so far. Knock on wood!
  • Options
    bruceleeccbruceleecc Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for a new passat, 2005 and would want to change the chip settings on the 1.8T Automatic. I had a dealer tell me I could do the same for the V6 Automatic, what are people's thoughts about this? Can you do it? I thought the V6 was considerably less enjoyable than the 1.8, even as an automatic.

also, what's the difference between adjusting the ENGINE chip and the "Tip Chip"? Both will increase HP and torque, but as I understand, this will make the lag in the auto. more noticeable?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I've heard there is a chip for the V6. General concensus is that it really doesn't do much on the v6 whereas on the 1.8T it makes a noticeable difference. To really make an impact on performance with the v6, you'd have to go to a supercharger at considerable cost.

A chip for the engine will increase hp and torque. A tip chip addresses the lag that is sometimes noticeable when the transmission is shifting. I don't think the tip chip has any impact on hp or torque, although it may change the rpms when shifting would occur.

Really, I'm surprised that a VW dealer is even discussing this with you. The chips are not VW issue, but from aftermarket companies. Some dealers will attempt to void warranties on chipped cars....
  • Options
    I had a dealer tell me (after I asked about the chipping...) that they would even do it themselves, and use a brand that they would themselves waranty for a year and that would not void my overall waranty. i was pretty surprised, do you think he was just trying to pull me in?
  • Options
    I'd say that your dealer is a rare exception amongst VW dealers. Who's chip would they install? Wett, Upsolute, APR? And are they talking about the Tip chip or the engine management chip? I'd spend the weekend reading every forum that I could find on Passats and see what the thought is on the engine management chip for the V6.

I know that the 1.8T can be massaged to much higher performance levels with a new chip, since the turbocharger's boost is remapped. I can't imagine that there's much more performance room on the V6...but that's just my thoughts....

One other question to consider - that dealer will stand behind the chip and the VW warranty, but what about any other dealer? Maybe I'm just paranoid....

Wait - I just noticed your thread mentions the 2.0 v6...we are talking about the 2.8 v6, right??
  • Options
    well whatever the V6 '05 is... 2.0 or 2.8, whichever. From what i've read, yeah the V6 doesn't gain much. He said it would, but i think he was just trying to sell me it since he didn't have a 1.8 '05. He also said you could use regular fuel with no problem....

Yeah i'm curious about other dealers, since i'd be moving to Chicago after buying it (i'm in california). I would try to find a dealer in Chicago once moving before i change the chip and check about the waranty.

Not sure what manufacturer he was talking about.
  • Options
    You wrote: From what i've read, yeah the V6 doesn't gain much. He said it would...

Anything to make a sale, my man, anything to make a sale...

The engine management will retard the engine timing to allow the use of regular fuel. It won't perform to it's fullest capacity, in either power or fuel efficiency, that's all. In fact, there's some speculation that it might actually be more costly to run regular than premium, under the right price structure and loss in efficiency. The V6 is not that economical, to begin with, in an urban driving setting.

If you are considering running it on regular, I'd forego the chip.
  • Options
    yeah i'll be in urban ville, chicago illinois.... and no i wont run regular, the cost isn't that much more really.. though it will pain me at over $50 a tank for sure.
  • Options
    Should I wait to modify the ECU and Tip Chip until I put a few thousand miles on? I will have it for about 3 months with ~10 miles per day then I will drive straight from California to Texas to Illinois. Would the long trip be a strain on the turbo after the chip adjustment, should I wait until after the drive to change it?
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I may be mistaken, but a chip would most likely void your warranty, at least on the related parts on your engine.
  • Options
    I'd say that fish8 is correct, although there are some "chip-friendly" dealers out there. How to find them? I haven't the slightest clue.
  • Options
    PES sells a GIAC chip for the 30V V6, claiming a 12hp boost. Although it does not specify the torque increase, it's usually proportionally a bit higher than the HP boost. Although 200hp is still pretty anemic, 200hp plus 220-225 lb-ft torque isn't too bad for 300 bucks.

website is http://www.pes-tuning.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GIAC97PAS28&Categ- ory_Code=VWPASSCHIPS

Of course, the warranty is another matter.
  • Options
    ridehardridehard Member Posts: 2
    You have blown off a lot of steam it appears you were not ready to be a car owner. Vehicles cost money to maintain. Now I would have to agree that 20 times for a sun roof repair is excessive,however I would blame a poor repair shop for that not the vehicle or manufacture. VW provided us via owners manual a means to contact customer relations for assistance for the vw rep. I would advise you to figure out what was wear and tear and maintance over what real problems are. You have a couple of problems but beyond that you have nothing to complain about. Every car you listed I can find people who have written the same long list of complaints as you. Maybe a bicycle would be better for you...
  • Options
    ridehardridehard Member Posts: 2
    Has any one had concerns with the paint peeling from the roof line of their passat? Also anybody with headlights that have lens that are clouded over?
  • Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    There are a cuple of mod-friendly dealers here in the Chicago area (in the NW suburbs) that I personally know of and a darn good indy shop as well but (affirming what Altair4 posted) a bonafide VW dealership will never honor a VW warrantty if you have an aftermarket chip installed no matter what they say. I have chipped 03 1.8T and am on very good terms with one of the dealerships and I know first hand.

Also chipping a V6 will bring very little HP/torque gains - IMHO suggests you spend mod-$ elsewhere especially if you are worried about warranty. Sorry to burst your bubble ...
  • Options
    tachtektachtek Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2005 Passat TDI for 4 months now. So far so good. I woke up today and started the vehicle to drive to work. For the first time ever, the fuel consumption, miles travelled and all measure related readings were in km, meters, and liters instead of miles, gallons etc. I live in Seattle, WA and I bought the vehicle here. Is there a way to switch back and forth between metric systems? Maybe even languages? My father owns a Mercedes and all that stuff is configured through setup menus? Can this be done in Passats? Are there secret menus you can access?

tachtek
  • Options
    delawaredavedelawaredave Member Posts: 1
    50,000 miles is, on average, 3.47 years worth of driving. Maybe look at it this way, do you think you might end up spending 490 dollars each year, for 3.47 years, on items that were previously covered under warranty?

It's possible to spend that, but then, every car and every driver are different. One MIL light on after warranty could eat up 500 bucks quickly. It's a gamble, and that's what warrantys always are, a gamble.
  • Options
    sunroofblowoutsunroofblowout Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had their sunroof blowout on a Passat? I have a 2003 and while going about 75 on the freeway my sunroof exploded from the inside out. The service mgr. at the dealership where I bought it says he has seen this problem with the Passat before.

VW is declining to cover it because of the mileage (45,000).

I have a police report verifing my opinion that it blew out from the inside.

Any similar stories or comments?
  • Options
    ddietrichddietrich Member Posts: 6
    $20,550 new

On way to sign off

Some 2,500 off invoice

Sounds good to me Brsnd new :):blush: :P
  • Options
    sarbhpreetsarbhpreet Member Posts: 3
    Hi

I am having a similar problem and also feel that it is something to do with the breather system. Can you provide more details as to what the dealer found was it simply the breather hose or more?

Really appreciate

Thanks
    Sarbhpreet
  • Options
    ddietrichddietrich Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Invoice 23,850
    $500 off loyalty rebate
    $2500 off Rebate

20,850 finance 5.39 4 years :confuse:
  • Options
    wendypaswendypas Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2000 1.8 Passat. Last spring my stop brake failure light came on. I took it to the dealer they told me nothing is wrong with my brakes but the module needs to be replaced. They quote me a 4 digit figure to get it fixed or replaced. Any other ways to fix this? :confuse:
  • Options
    vwchicvwchic Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Passat with no chipping paint however the headlights are clouded over...what's up with that and how much to replace them if I so desire? :(
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Member Posts: 203
    The headlights can be reconditioned to original clarity by using a kit available at auto parts stores. $15 and an hour of elbow grease at most. Avoid the expensive kits like LensRenew and headlight reconditioning shops. They are a waste of money.
  • Options
    vitalykvitalyk Member Posts: 1
    walkjc -- you mention that you are about to take your '99 passat in for warranty work. Did you buy your car with an extended warranty?

The warranty on my 2000 passat wagon with V6 engine was only 2 years and expired 3 years ago. (that's why I am a bit curious how you manage to have warranty service after 6 years or so). The car only has 25,000 miles on it, and it already leaks oil from both cam seals. The cam seal oil leakage appears to be a common manufacturing defect on passats, however, since my warranty has expired, am I out of luck?
  • Options
    frenhamfrenham Member Posts: 1
    I am the original owner of that passat!

I have accept to loose 12,000$ for 10 months.

I traded the car for a subaru legacy.
    That was not my first choice. But it is much more pleasant to drive than a van.

I lost a few pound of torque but got a much more reliable car with no engine vibration. With toyo H type tires I got a ride simminlar to german car at the Japanese price and reliability.

I have run it for 13 month now, I am quite please !

I came to conclusion german car are a bit more pleasent to drive but way to much expensise and not too reliable.

Japanese are hard to beat for the price!

I had 2 VW beetles, a VW sirroco 2 toyotar, and 2 passsats 1999, 2004)

My family had Mercedes SL, Honda accord, Toyota, Lexus LS 400, BMW 740, Lexus 330

I do not see in the near future, how I coud get anything else that Japenese,

Likely an Acura or Honda wagen (as soon they produce one) !
  • Options
    dkoopdkoop Member Posts: 26
    Help!

My 05 Passat TDI with less than 15k miles just popped up a check engine light and the message "Emmissions Workshop". Anybody out there seen this on a TDI, any ideas. I've just installed a K&N air filter two days ago and have been running 10 oz. per tank of Performance Service Cetane Boost for about 6 months. :confuse:
  • Options
    Correction, the additive I've been using is Power Service. :blush:
  • Options
    This past summer the "EMISSIONS WORKSHOP" light came on intermittently on my '04 TDI. The dealer's service department diagnosed it as the electric motor for the air intake flap going bad. The service manager told me it had become a common problem. They replaced the motor, and I've had no problem since. The malfunction did not seem to affect the performance, economy, starting, or shut down in any way.
  • Options
    Thanks, I've been adding the Power Service to try to head off any emission system issues resulting from the poor diesel quality we get here in the states. I wonder if any other TDI owners are doing the same. If you tak a peek at what the Libery Diesel owners are doing, you see alot of experimentation with various fuel additives.
  • Options
    I just switched to Stanadyne Performance Formula. The main reason I switched was to avoid having to go into Walmart again to buy a large bottle of Power Service. (Twice in 18 months already!) The second reason was because VW approves the Stanadyne brand. I used Power Service since I first filled my tank. However, I did not carry any with me on a trip to CA because I didn't want a flammable liquid in the car, so I filled up 3 times without an additive during the trip. I definitely noticed dark smoke during acceleration without the additive. With an additive, I get only light exhaust smoke during hard acceleration. Whether or not an additive helps performance or economy, I have to trust the word of those who claim to have run tests.
  • Options
    mack11mack11 Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased a new fuel filter for my '92 Passat and I have looked everywhere on the car and cannot find the @#$%^&* thing. Where is it? This is my first VW and am told that they tend to be different when it comes to certain things but this should be straight forward. Can someone tell me what to do, I am desperate. Thanks.
  • Options
    Don't know specifically for your year, but VW has a tendency to place the fuel filter under the car, near the right rear wheel. At least that's been true on the three Dubs I've owned since the mid-1970's.
  • Options
    reidkreidk Member Posts: 46
    vitalyk:

In case you haven't otherwise received an answer to your question:
    "walkjc -- you mention that you are about to take your '99 passat in for warranty work. Did you buy your car with an extended warranty?"

99 Passat's came with a 10-year 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty. Have read varying reports on whether or not VW Honors the warranty, but at least in some cases they have.

Reid / SE MI
    '99 V6 5spd; 75,000+
  • Options
    bnorman1bnorman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 2004 Passat and the heating/cooling system fan almost always runs. If the heater is on and then I shut the system off the system still blows warm air. Same happens for cool air. Sometimes the system does shut off - but I have not noticed the pattern. Service Writer at dealer said it is working as designed. Called VW 800# and they said to call another dealer...

Is anyone else having this problem?
  • Options
    drvwdrvw Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    My Check Engine light, EPC light and ASR light are illuminated and I have been reading up on pulling the codes myself instead of paying a mechanic to do it. I have a 2001 VW Jetta VR6. I was looking at this tester on eBay, but I'm not sure if it's the right one I need. Can someone please read the desciption and offer any advice on whether or not it is what I need. Please note that I want to fix the problem(s), not just turn off the light. Here is the link to the sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Audi-OBD2-OBDII-OBD-2-II-Trouble-Code-Reader-Scanner_W0Q- QcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43989QQitemZ4593893168QQrdZ1

Thanks a lot in advance!
  • Options
    Hi Cosmo,

Where's the best place to find Stanadyne? I'd like to experiment a little. 10 oz of Power Service has given me about 2 more mpg. Upping the tire pressure to 45 psi gave another 1 to 1.5 mpg. The wife can get around 38mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. BTW, it was a glow plug failure that tripped the check engine and emmissions workshop - it gets replaced tomorrow. I thought that was odd since I doubt the glow plugs even warm up here in florida.

Dennis
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that all cars sold in the US after a certain year are required to follow a universal code reader protocol. Maybe there's a VW mechanic out there that can confirm this.
  • Options
  • Options
    3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    Why would you want to switch engine oils? My '02 Passat GLS 1.8T Tiptronic has 98K mi on it and doesn't consume ( leak/burn ) any oil. I change the oil every 5K mi. If you have a 01.5 Passat or later you should be using the oil prescribed by VW - for me that is Mobil 1 0W-40. Other VWs ( transverse instead of inline ) do not require an anti-sludge oil. I have been using some variety of Mobil 1 since '85. NO PROBLEMS. If you own a later model Passat you should also be using the larger oil filter as prescribed by VW. This is to eliminate the sludge problem they had with "lesser" oils and the original "baby-sized" filter. None of this will do you any good if you do not check the oil level regularly. There is a bulletin on this - it was sent to me by VW. That guy who was surprised to find no oil on the dipstick 3K mi after changing the oil is ridiculous. He deserves whatever happens to him. Just don't blame it on the car. If you cannot find the 0W-40 in stores, you most certainly should be able to get quarts of it at the dealer. They MUST have it to comply with VWs' efforts to eliminate sludge. If they don't use Mobil 1, they should be using an oil that complies with spec 502.00 required by VW. If they don't - run away fast, and don't return ever. If they cannot get the oil right, I wouldn't trust them for anything except taking my money and running. NO EXCUSES! PERIOD!
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    My VW dealer still insists that the semi-synthetic oil they use meets VW specs. I will not use their oil, I continue to use Mobil 1 0W-40 every 5000 miles in my 2002 1.8T.
  • Options
    ericaindenverericaindenver Member Posts: 1
    I am having this same problem. Did you get a response?
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Is it listed as approved oil?

Krzys
  • Options
    What brand and viscosity is this semi-synth oil that the dealer is touting? I'd want to see a label or product sheet (from the manufacturer) before I had that poured in my engine. Good on ya for sticking with an officially approved oil!