Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• reidkreidk Member Posts: 46
    '99 V6 5spd, just over 101K of Mostly Wonderful Motoring. A bit older, and not entirely problem free, but if well maintained a Passat can run Very Well for a long time, and this one still looks good: interior is in great shape (leather with wood trim), and body looks fine from Walking Distance (hood & windshield attract stone chips like crazy, otherwise paint remains excellent).

Failure points:
    Minor: rear cupholder (about useless anyway...); both front access 'flip panels' for VW jack (replaceable if one wished to do so).

Moderate / Expected "Wear items": brakes & rotors (did these at home); new battery; couple of bulbs; rubberized coating on driver's door handle. (And, of course, tires, wipers, filters..... :) )

Major: Water pump - replaced along with a multitude of items as part of "100k" service (which was done around 80K due to water pump failure).
    Radiator: sprung a small leak earlier this year along seam between metal fins & plastic side panels. Replaced with new aftermarket unit.
    Suspension: Creaked & Groaned for a couple of years, which is pretty common. Replaced F&R shocks & springs - along with nearly all of the front components as part of an aftermarket kit - when tie rod ends went bad.

Also, car has always used some oil, requiring an additional 1/2 qt between changes. But over past couple of years it has developed a small oil leak - apparently around right side valve gasket (as facing engine compartment) - which has upped oil consumption to a good quart between changes.

Mechanics advice is that this is minor & to simply keep eye on oil level until the NEXT major engine service - presumably around the 150 - 160k mark. Just might still own the car at that point, as it remains a joy to drive...

Good luck in your search / purchase!
  • bobgwtwbobgwtw Member Posts: 187
    According to J. D. Powers. consumer reports, Edmunds forums etc., these cars are about the most trouble prone you could buy; and repairs at any VW dealer almost require a 2nd mortgage to pay for them. I'd avoid a used VW like the plague.
  • tucsonmiketucsonmike Member Posts: 1
    Hi. Does anyone know where I can see a blow-up diagram of the area surrounding the turbo on a 2001 Passat 1.8T engine? Preferably online somewhere?

I'm trying to find all of the gaskets and crush washers and o-rings, all of these little parts that I'll need, when I replace the turbo charger on my 2001 1.8T Passat. (Engine code is AUG).

It's a fairly new rebuilt longblock engine, and when installed it was with a cheapo turbo which has blown its bearing. So I purchased a new KKK (really Borg-Warner now) turbocharger. The B-W (B-W part is 5303 988 0029, which correlates to VW part number 058 145 703J). I've got the exhaust gasket and the intake gasket, but it looks like there are various crush washers and seals needed (e.g. for the oil send and return lines). Can anyone out there point me to a blow-up diagram, or even just a recommended parts list, for all of these little goodies that I'll need?

Mike
  • dhdandhdan Member Posts: 5
    I have been looking, to no avail, for instructions/how-tos on how to replace the front right turn signal bulb on my 2001 Passat. Does anyone know of such a guide or source of information? Thanks in advance.
  • gdubyasvwgdubyasvw Member Posts: 4
    Good luck with that. I finally had my dealer do it when I took the car in for an oil change. Didn't cost too much and saved me some spiked blood pressure moments.
  • gdubyasvwgdubyasvw Member Posts: 4
    I have a '02 Passat with the V6 motor. It has a bit of a stutter/stall/surge throttle response when pulling away from stop or slow role. Any help. I've heard it might be the transaxle programming itself which requires reprogramming. Can it be reprogrammed easily?
  • Passat23Passat23 Member Posts: 1
    I recently removed and replaced the glove box to replace the light. After reinstalling, the dome lights and locks and glove box light do not come on and the car will not start. Other dash lights and head lights work. Starter will not turn. Is this a fuse or did I cut a wire? I tried several fuses but all seem OK. Help
  • edsmith3edsmith3 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering two passats and need some wisdom.
    I can buy a 2003 glx 6 cyl sedan with 57k for 9000.00 or
    a 2005 gls 4 motion 4 cyl. sedan with 39k for 12500.00. it
    is for my kids and one might go to school in new hampshire.
    IS it worth the extra 3500 for 4 motion, 2 years newer and
    20k less in miles.??..both have leather, roofs, cd's only diff
    is electric seats in 2003. please help dealer said he would
    wait til tommorow...thank you!
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    ask for maintenance record. It must show oil changes each 5K miles and only oils meeting certain (VW 502.00 or 503.01) specification (the easiest available are Mobil 1 0W40 and Castrol Syntec 0W30).
    V6 is not as picky with oil as I4 but must use the same oils.

Krzys
  • scottmk5scottmk5 Member Posts: 2
    I have the chance to buy a 99 passat 1.8T 115,000 miles I have heard some bad things about them ran a carfax apears to have been serviced regularly

Any advice would be appreciated
    Also have heard they need a timing belt around this mileage is there anyway to tell if this has been done and how much would it cost is it a do it yourself replacement or does it need to be done at a dealer
  • justj1161justj1161 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a used 2001.5 Passat 1.8t with 80k. The engine is way noisy when started on a cold morning. It seems to be very slow to warm-up. The noise is kind of metallic and is coming from the driver's side of the engine compartment with a pronounced loud whining during acceleration. Once the engine warms to 190 or so it quiets down.The heater blows cold for the longest time as well. Any advice? Thanks
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2000 Passat 6cy. 2.8L. I am looking for a good repair manual because I believe I will have many small items which are expensive at dealer but I my be able to handle with used parts. Any suggestions on which manual would work best especially for small items such as door locks, cup holder (rear) etc.
    Thanks.
    Mark
  • alen3alen3 Member Posts: 12
    While im here i might as well ask two questions that ive been waiting for someone to answer. First: is it possible to install a cold air intake on a 2000 Passat 1.8t?
    Second: there is coolant leakage around the hoses that surround my oil filter and over time it crusts around the hoses and around my filter, its not alot but should i look at it seriously and what is causing it?
    thanks to anyone in advance,
    aa
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Bentley manual is probably your best bet. It's the official VW shop manual.
  • lisavalisava Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a Jetta Wagon and am considering a Passat for more space. I'm not set on having a Turbo engine, but found an '04 for sale that's a good price. I'm hoping to learn more about the Turbo engine and if there's anything I should be concerned about or look out for. The car has had regular oil changes at the dealership. The oil pump was just replaced, I don't know the details on why. Any suggestions, cautions, concerns? Thanks in advance! Lisa
  • jasonallisonjasonallison Member Posts: 5
    I owned a 2001 Passat Wagon V6 (not the 4-motion). Ample power at 190 horse and the torq was great. Wagon was ~3600lbs IIRC. I havnt driven the Turbo models, but I dont think I would get a wagon with only a 4 cylinder Turbo.
    My concern about that oil pump replacement is because the engine oil sludged and clogged the pump's screen. Mmmmm, I'd be careful about this one. Sadly, regular oil changes at the dealership doesn't mean that the correct oil was used throughout the car's life. If they can't provide proof of synthetic oil in the correct grade meeting VW Spec 502.00, I'd pass on it.
  • 04glx04glx Member Posts: 1
    I'd go with the '03 and use part of the savings to buy snowtires mounted on steel wheels if you're concerned about traction and your son will be diving a lot in the snow.

The 4-motion really does not make a big difference compared to FWD and in the Passat, it prevents you from having fold down rear seats.
  • yuliangyuliang Member Posts: 2
    For safety, is passat better than fusion and fusion better than accord?

Also, how will passat take care of engine sluge issue if I bought a second hand passat from dealership and could not approve all oil change?
  • yuliangyuliang Member Posts: 2
    is that 1.8T engine the only one met sluge problem? Does anyone meet this problem with a 05 TDI engine? Thanks.
  • tomj2tomj2 Member Posts: 8
    Own a 2003, 1.8T, 60K miles. Gas mileage has declined about 25% in last year. Car runs perfect and even had VW look at it. Found nothing wrong. Use Premium gas. Any ideas?
  • jasonallisonjasonallison Member Posts: 5
    I was told to always use premium gas. Check your manual. I owned a v6 GLS wagon. Your turbo will be effected even more. You should see significant drop in HP
    Thanks for reply, Jason. I've always used premium but it has still lost fuel economy.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Have you changed tires?
    What about air filter?
    Tire pressure?
    Wheel bearings?
    Stuck caliper?
    Stuck hand brake?

I think I run out of ideas.

Krzys

PS One more: different oil?
    No to all of the above. VW checked it over. I figure that as a dealer, they were dying to find something wrong...:)
  • lisavalisava Member Posts: 2
    So if there is a Passat that did have some sludge issues at 45k miles and the dealer found oil output was low and replaced the oil pump, assuming from here on out all future oil changes will be done in a timely manner with appropriate synthetic oil, any reason to be concerned about the engine's future?
    O2 sensors going bad?
    Thermostat not fully closing?
    Vacuum leak somewhere?

At some point, all these can occur and not show up on the OBD2.
    Those are reasonable questions. May be worth looking into although I would hope VW would have picked them up. Would a bad O2 sensor cause it to fail an emissions test? It passsed a few months back.
    What I understand is that the O2 sensors deteriorate. They slowly fail, versus an "on-off" issue. They could still be within the range of "acceptable" but not giving the most accurate signal. Hey, I'm just guessing!

BTW, the web is full of stories where one would have hoped that "VW would have picked them up. Personally, I think they rely too heavily on the "there's MIL, so all must be perfect" approach to troubleshooting.
    I guess you have a point. Maybe I'll pursue that. Thanks
    It's all guesswork from here. Good luck with it and please, please, please post back when you find the answer to your issue.
    Will do. Thanks
  • divinitydivinity Member Posts: 2
    OK.

So, i'm no mechanic, and it seems it's hard to find info online (vehicle manuals/diagrams) that would help me become one.

First:
    Does anyone out there know where i could get a bootleg FREE copy of the 1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8 turbo REPAIR MANUAL?

Second:
    While i was driving my Passat there was a blow-out of my exahust intake manifold (where the exhaust attaches to the engine). So, naturally, of course my car sounds very loud because of the disconnection. Does anyone know what the exhaust (the part under the hood, near the engine - not under the car near the Cat) is made out of - cast iron ??
    I have thought of welding it back, but am leaning towards a replacement of the part.

Any feedback/knowledge sharing is appreciated!! Thanks for your time!
    Wait...what? The "exhaust intake manifold?" Which one - exhaust or intake? They're mutually exclusive. Need more info to help you.

If you were to google "Passat Etka" you might find something that woudl help you.
  • passatstuckpassatstuck Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2003 Passat 4 motion wagon. v6.
    There isn't any handy dandy one page chart available. I must have spent two hours w. the manual and on-line also. I called the VW dept. that's responsible for manuals, and they don't have any such thing.

Two Questions:
    1. Has anyone compiled a chart?
    2. Has anyone found maintenance info on severe conditions?

Exasperated and stuck w. my Passat.
    VWoA's website has a feature where you can plug in your veicle info and it will generate the next maintenance required for your mileage. Once there, you can click on "View Complete Schedule" and it will show the entire schedule. It is not a severe serviceschedule, however.

Start here:
    http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/findschedules/en/us/index.html
  • passatstuckpassatstuck Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much. I've printed the chart for the first 100k miles services and checked all my service records against it. I hope I can figure out what the severe service sched. is. All the manual says is call the dealer.

Can't thank you enough! Gotta save this site... http://www.vw.com/myvw/yourcar/maintenance/findschedules/en/us/index.html

P.
    On my 2003, 1.8T, Passat, dealer says timing belt replacement should be done at 60K. Manual says only to check at 40K and 80K. Anybody know how essential this is? Dealer wants $1000! No wonder they recommend it...:).
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    ACTUALLY, VW, not the dealer, wants the cam ( timing ) belt inspected priodically.
    Remove the cover at the top/front of the engine and check the sides of the belt for cracks. ( My cover has a water hose clipped to it. ) I replaced my belt at 105,000mi. It was quite an ordeal and I do not recommend anyone w/o "heavy line" experience even attempting to do it. The valve timing must be right, and the cam belt must not be too tight, or too loose. The whole front of the car must be removed. ( Bumper, headlights, AC condensor and radiator. ) The AC system must be drained of refrigerant and later refilled. I replaced the camshaft belt tensioner, the water pump, and thermostat during the cam belt replacement. The repair manual cost of $100. NOT for an amateur.
    Not knocking your post, just curious. I was under the impression that you could do the timing belt and associated hardware with the front end in the service position (front end pulled forward on special supports). No? Or was it just easier to do with the front removed?
  • clamshellclamshell Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 Passat 4-motion wagon that has started to hesitate a bit when going up small hills. Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • diondonnediondonne Member Posts: 8
    I recently had the same problem. As it turned out, my #3 plug was arcing over the porcelin to the engine block due to the plug being fouled. After changing the plug, it ran well for 100 miles or so and then began doing it again. The ignition wire was arcing to the block this time. $200 later [the cost of the wires] all is now well. NOTE:The check engine light would come on only when the arcing was constant on a long uphill. I reset the code after each event. Another possible cause could be the coil set.
  • dzubadzuba Member Posts: 159
    I am just having this issue confimed by my local VW shop - already confirmed by my local Indy guy...........who also says VW knows of this issue, knows it was a big problem in models from 1989 - 2004, and in some cases has even replaced the engine to fix the problem?

Anyone else have this issue?
    Advice and approach?
    Thanks
  • graycamarograycamaro Member Posts: 1
    yupoldbull - please respond to graycamaro re andress at mobil in paulsboro
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Um... the message to which you responded is more than 5 years old. Your message is also rather cryptic. If you need help with a Passat issue, your best bet is to post your question here, and let others respond here, where everyone can benefit from the info exchanged.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sammyjasammyja Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 6cyl 2000 Passat GLS in 1999. From I drove it off the lot I noticed the gears seem to hang a bit during shifting. I had to take it back to the dealership 3 times.. The last time they kept it for 5 weeks (I guess that was to give me the impression they were actually doing something about the problem).. It did not seem to be much better when I got it back, but decided it was a waste of time to take it back to them....I wrote VW America a detailed letter explaining my problem..I got no help (not surprisingly). I learned to live with the car and drove it passively for all this time...Recently the problem got worse and the box started slamming..the shifting indicator blanked out etc....

Has anyone had this problem...And is there any advice on how to resolve this? I'd appreciate any help.
  • bindhubindhu Member Posts: 20
    Hi everybody,
    My VW Passat 2000 engine is leaking again after spending close to 1 month at the VW santa monica dealership, they said that they changed 2 times the valve cover gaskets, the camshaft adjusters seals and some other seals and it worked for 3 months, just enough to clear the 10 years power train warranty and then it started leaking again . The 2 valve cover gaskets for instance have been changed no less than 4 times in less than 80,000 miles. I sent an email to VW America but didn't even get an answer. And they want to sell 800,000 cars a year in america?
    You need to have the pcv system worked over. The car is building too much pressure internally causing the leaks.

Conversely, you might want to consider this: I saw a newly released oil cap on ECStuning.com 's website for the v6, specifically designed to relief pressure from the v6 engine.
    Thank you Altair,
    Now why doesn't the Santa Monica VW dealership technicians don't know this?
    They supposedly changed all the seals and gaskets and warranty, kept the car for a month and now all this work needs to be redone. What a waste.
    Hi Altair,
    I tried to follow the link you metnionned at ECS, went to vw, passat, b5, v6, fwd all the way to engine couldn't find the part mentionned.