Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

1156157158159160162»

Comments

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    edited September 2010
    Bindhu, try this.

Hope this helps.
  • bindhubindhu Member Posts: 20
    Hi Altair4,
    Sorry, try what exactly? Thanks
    Hi Altair,
    I got it, could open the link and ordered the cap immediately, thank you very much for your help. I will keep you posted.
    Hi Altair,
    What exactly is a pcv, i got the black tubes on top, around the valve cover changed with the valve cover gasket change. Is that it? Thanks
    edited September 2010
    The Passat has a complicated system of venting the interior pressure of the engine. Whereas other, older cars have a simple check valve, the Passat has multiple check valves, suction pumps, etc. Truly, modern German engineering at its finest!

Not only are there myriad parts comprising the positive crankcase ventilation system, they are not readily apparent or visible. The icing on the cake is that some of the hoses are fabric that doesn't live long in the heat of the engine compartment. The cherry on the cake is that they are installed with one-use clamps that are a PITA to remove. If you didn't pay about $400 in parts for all of the parts, then they haven't all been replaced (you can see the kits on ECS's website).
    Hi altair4,
    So what is there to do? Seems awfully kompliziert. Should i just have the seals and gasket replaced under warranty and hope that the new cap from ECS tuning is going to make the difference? Thanks
    Bindhu,

I can't answer your question. The car is ten years old. How long do you anticipate keeping it? How bad have the leaks become? What is the condition of the rest of the car?

I can't say if the newly designed cap is ultimately going to make any real difference - you might need to research this further online and see what you can come up with. I have no personal experience with it, but I plan to buy one for my Passat. I've got valve cover gasket and cam tensioner gasket leaks myself that I plan to address next Spring. I've had some of the pcv system replaced, but I'm not done yet.

Here's ECS's emissions webpage:
    ECS Emissions Parts

Look at the bottom of the page - it shows what they have in a total kit (3 varieties, actually). This will give you an idea of what may have already been replaced when you had work done previously. If all of these parts were already replaced, then I'm at a loss as to what to tell you.
    Hi Altair4,
    Thank you for your answer, the car has about 80000 miles, is in good shape overall, has been well maintained, the valve cover gasket has been changed 4 times, the cam adjuster seals 2 times, t was under warranty until august, vwofa tells me that the repairs done at the dealership are guaranteed 12 months 12000 miles, so i should get the leaks fixed under the nex warranty. I am going to look into the pcv system. Thanks
    Hello Altair,
    the dealership ended changing the breather and charged me only for the parts. about 140 $. Seems to have reduced the leaks. At least for now. But then the car developped some quirky problems, sometimes you turn it off and the lights stay on the dash board, you can only get them out by pressing the brake pedal, then the lights come again and you can't lock the doors with the remote unless you get back into the car and press the brake pedal again. Another thing that happens is when you switch off the ignition the engine sometimes keep running. Does it need to be reprogrammed? thanks
    Wow. Okay, that's a new one. I've never experienced or heard or read about a set of symptoms like you've described. If Edmunds had a "shrug" emoticon, I'd insert it here.
    Yes it is kind of strange, i will lt you know if somebody comes up with ananswer, thanks for responding
    john
  • rosie11rosie11 Member Posts: 6
    When I turn off the car, having driven maybe half an hour or so with the heater on, I sometimes get a suspicious 'something's overheating' smell! Everything works fine but I'm wondering what it could be? And what is a 'heater core". I've 78,000 miles on this Passat and wondering what kind of problems I should be looking forward to?
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    I've got an '02 Passat 4motion with one bad tire. do I need to replace all 4? Will it stress the AWD system to have one tire new and the other 3 with 1/4" of tread left?
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    Never mind. Read some other forums. Looks like for this AWD setup (Torsen differential), you just need to replace them in pairs- rather than all 4. OK- that saved some coin.
  • rseldenrselden Member Posts: 1
    My '04 Passat tdi wagon has about 100,000 miles on it. It was not running well and had poor compression, so I had the head taken off. The valve lifters and cam lobes are worn badly, and I'm told the head needs to be rebuilt at a cost $4300 (not by a dealer)! This is not what I expected with a diesel! The machinist said he had heard stories of some early Passat diesels having such wear problems.

VW has said they are not offering any consideration for the problem.

Anyone else out there who has had the problem or heard about them?
  • jimbo92jimbo92 Member Posts: 20
    I would like to know how to change the air filter on my daughter's 2005 passat 1.8T.I am completely lost at words at all the stuff thats hooked up on the cover.Genius engineering.
  • bkoto333bkoto333 Member Posts: 2
    My wife's Passat has been giving her the following issues. It has happened twice on the highway. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance:
    Driving down the road and all of a sudden the EPS light and warning triangle w/ arrow circle around it (anti slip regulation) light came on and the car had loss of power.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    try this search in google "Vw 1.8T air filter how to"

Look for Passat, A4 or A6 with 1.8T engine. They all had the same setup.

Krzys
  • jameswilliam2jameswilliam2 Member Posts: 1
    i own a 99 passat and whenever i press on the gas too hard to take off i get this thumping grinding sound as if i ran over something. im not sure what it is yet but im guessing its gotta be the transmission or engine mounts that need to be replaced
  • pigeongirlpigeongirl Member Posts: 1
    I have a great 2005 v6 Passat - but the heater system is a flop, along with the song and dance you will get from the dealership. My car has been serviced routinely at VW dealerships. It was to have had the coolant changed at 40,000 miles, now its at 75,000 miles and the coolant went bad and has ruined my heater core. The dealership changed the heat flap, then I had it completely flushed elsewhere because the dealer acknowledges there is a a coolant issue but won't stand behind it, nor will the supplier. Your only recourse is a new heater core, at your expense - unbelievably true - and yes this is a ongoing issue and really should have been a recall. We have owned a total of 4 VW over 30 years - all have had heater/coolant issues - to bad the cars ride great but too costly to repair and the company refuses to face the fact that this is a problem. I am so disappointed in the company right now, use to be a big fan but having a hard time keeping or event thinking about buying another VW ...good luck.