Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    ludacris:
    The combination of these two suspension modifications is astonishing in terms of performance enhancement. The ride is solid, cornering is "as if on rails", and I just ride with a big grin on my face, now that I have them both. The FSTB essentially requires only wrenches (including a torque wrench to make sure it's properly tightened), and is easy, fun, and immediately rewarding once you drive with it.

The RSB takes longer to install, but I had mine done by a mechanic, and it took him all of 35 minutes (it would have taken me perhaps an hour).

The difference between Courtesy and Stillen FSTB's is cosmetic. Courtesy's is hollow, Stillen's is solid, but Stillen wins on style points. Both work comparably, but Stillen's costs considerably more.
  • opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    what are people paying for the 30k checkup? dealer wants 450 but seems to be willing to negotiate.

Mark
  • infinituminfinitum Member Posts: 7
    I just had it done for $350. In Sacramento it's 380. You may want to shop it around various dealers depending on where you are.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    also i heard from other people that if you dont install (i forgot whether it was the FSTB or RSB) tightly enough, you'll hear a clank everytime you hit a bump? is that true?

the stillen FSTB is waay more expensive...are u sure theyre only cosmetic differences?
  • blackstone3blackstone3 Member Posts: 29
    I know it is early, however I was wonder what type of snow tires would fit on my 2k Maxima SE. I have 225/50/17 on the car now, however they don't make a snow tire in that size. If a drop to a 16 inch rim would I have to go up to a 60? Maybe 215/60/16? Has anyone do this? Will effect the speedometer? Thanks.
  • jimmie8jimmie8 Member Posts: 31
    I'm not sure if they keep the old Maxima forums archived, but there was a huge discussion about this about 8 months ago. I remember that a lot of people were happy with the 15" Blizzaks....not sure the exact size.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I put Blizzack snows on my 00 SE (17"). I used the 15" wheels from a 95 GLE. (It was pretty ugly!!) Can't remember the size exactly but seems like 205/60/15" rings a bell.

They were great last winter and after driving in the upper midwest for 25 years with "All Season tires", I won't drive again in the winter without dedicated snow tires. The difference is night and day!

I've still got about 2/3rd's of the tread left so I think I can easily get another winter out of them. I paid $235 for a set of 4 mounted and balanced from Firestone on December 1st 2000.

Check out Tire Rack.com for exact size conversions that won't affect your speedometers accuracy.
  • bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    I live in Western Canada and did well with the stock tires on the SE. Winter tire helps of course.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I picked up my 00 SE (with TCS)in November 1999 and I did really well the first winter on the stock 17" tires. We also had a pretty light winter of snow that season.

The second winter was a different story. I was literally stuck at home in the first week with just 6" on the ground and that's what motivated my decision for the Blizzaks.

We ended up with over 50" of snow in December 2000 and I never lost another day after I put the snows on.

The added benefit is that a set of the 17" replacement tires will run me $750-800 when I have to replace them so putting 10,000 miles on the snows feels much safer driving and saves a lot of money on those expensive 17" tires.

(They are really ugly though!)
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    ludacris:
    Yup, the difference between Courtesy and Stillen FSTB's is cosmetic; performance apparently is the same.

The RSB by Stillen has NOT been noted to cause the bumping you mention, although one from another company (Addco or some similar name...I don't recall exactly) needs more "tweaking" to eliminate the bump.

You'll find lots of discussion about these items on 5thGenMaximas.com and/or Maxima.org, including group buying deals and other feedback.

I also found that talking directly with the Stillen people was successful in trying to negotiate a price below their usual catalogue price!
    yeah i would have posted on teh maxima.org forum but i figured that the topic had been over billions of times and no one would have replied lol. thanks!
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    Ludacris - yeah the stillen bar is almost double the price of the courtesy - but if looks/style matter then the stillen bar is the way to go. But they both do the same thing. If you decide to go stillen check avalonracing.net (Got my stillen bar for 180) they have better pricing. Also check the maxima.org for group buys. BTW I installed the FSTB in 15 min. and the RSB in just under 1 hour and I knew nothing about cars - until I got my max that is!:)
    do they come shipped with installation instructions? how bout the average 15 year old that loves cars but has never touched anything mechanical (ive checked the oil a few times lol) would i probably be able to do this installation?
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    They come shipped with instructions. The FSTB is no problem. RSB, you could probably do it yourself but maybe better to have installed professionally. One thing that is important is to make sure the brakelines don't rub on the bar - heard about a couple of people having probs with that.
  • frankmax1frankmax1 Member Posts: 4
    SORRY IT HAS TAKEN SO LONG BUT I'VE BEEN ON VACATION. THE DEALER INITIALLY TRIED TO RECTIFY MY PROBLEM BY GETTING ME ANOTHER CAR. HOWEVER, THE DEALER COULD NOT FIND A 5 SPD SE WITH C&C IN THE SATIN BLUE. I TOLD THE DEALER I DIDN'T WANT THE WHOLE CAR PAINTED ONLY THE SCRATCH. HE BROUGHT IN A SPECIAL PAINTER WHO TOUCHED UP THE SCRATCH. THE AREA LOOKS GREAT (IN CERTAIN LIGHT I CAN SEE THE REPAIR). THE DEALER GAVE ME FREE LOANER AND 5 YEAR GOLD EXTENDED WARRANTY. I JUST WANT TO ENJOY MY CAR.
  • vavavoomvavavoom Member Posts: 42
    Hi Guys,

New here and I'd like anyone's input. I just got a flat on my Maxima 2000 with OEM Toyo tires (Proxes A05). These OEM tires are probably going to cost an arm and a leg, so i was looking to get a whole new set. I was looking at three options, the MIchelin Energy MXV4 Plus, Bridgestone POtenza RE950 and the Touring contact CH95 - all courtesy of the Tirerack search engine. any recommendations?

appreciate it.
  • vavavoomvavavoom Member Posts: 42
    I"m getting conflicting advice on whether it is "OK" to have 2 different pairs of tires on the car. WHile i understand that getting a same set of 4 is the most desirable, is having 2 differntpairs really a no-no? Tirerack.com says it's a no-no but the 2 local tire companies + my nissan dealer says it should be ok. any input? thanks.
  • whitamwhitam Member Posts: 2
    How in the heck do you remove the shift knob? I have a new one ready to install, but not sure how to get the old one off. Is it a reverse-screw, regular screw, etc. Thanks!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    how bad was the paint problem that Nissan was willing to replace your car?? also...might wanna lay off the caps lock lol
  • frankmax1frankmax1 Member Posts: 4
    see post #2355 and #2362.sorry about the caps!
  • chilly1chilly1 Member Posts: 9
    I have had several cars in which I have had seperate pairs of tires. As long as you keep like tires on the front and like on the rear there is no problem (assuming they are the same size). The problem would be if you put different lefts and rights.

Just my 2 cents.
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    I just replaced the tires on my 2000 Max. The Max came with GY Eagle RSAs. I had a little over 23K miles on the RSAs. I was checking out tires for about a month. My final selection was the Bridgestone 950, Dunlop SP Sport 5000, Yokohama AVS db, Michelin Pilot XGT H4, Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce and BFG G Force TA KDWS. I bought the last tire, the BFG G Force KDWS. I paid $99 at a local tire store. Tire Rack sells them for the same price. All the other tires are very good too however some are so so in the snow, especially the Yoko's and the Pirelli's. I live in IL so I need tires for the snow too.

The G Force UTQG is 400, traction AA, and temp A. I've only driven on them about 20 miles but so far they're quieter and definitely handle better/more responsive than the RSAs. The G Force didn't come in 215/55R16 so I bought 225/55R16 (Z rated), which is a little wider and taller.

Just pick the tire you think is the best for how/where you drive and what you can afford.

Semper Fi
    how do i look thru the posts? the MSG# at the top right?
  • maggienmaggien Member Posts: 6
    Just wanted any interested buyers to know that the internet is the way to go for pricing on the Maxima. I got 2 different dealers in S. CA to go more than a 1,000 below invoice on the Maxima without ever stepping into their showroom. Tried to get the Glendale, CA dealer to match cause its the closest. They had a mark-up of 5,000 over sticker and the lowest they would go was sticker. Ridiculous. Try Simi Valley or Long Beach. Want more info jsut let me know.
  • lobstermanlobsterman Member Posts: 31
    changed my oil today with 5w30 mobil 1 and a puralator filter at 2004 miles. will be taking a 1300 mile trip to nyc next week, so i figured i better do it now. does anyone know if changing your own oil voids your warranty or something else? i feel that if i document the purchase of the oil and filter and do the service myself that nissan should honor their warranty. i mean doesn't everyone out there know how to do an oil change after watching a service center do it? thanks for the input from everyone on this board.
  • maktarmaktar Member Posts: 2
    I am about to upgrade from an Accord Ex to a Maxima or Acura. I was hoping to get some info on the following:

1. Anyone seen any pictures of the 02 Max?
    1.5 Are any available on the net?
    2. Any major issues (defects)with the 01 Max?

thanks,

Maktar
  • dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    Look left and click on first drive of the 02 Max with pics......
    www.maxima.org will help anyone with questions about the Maxima. Especially the forums...this link should work

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

For pictures you could go to www.nissannews.com. Click on photos, then 2002 models and Maxima.

• iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    My son decides to sit on my sunroof wind deflecter and snaped it in two....AHHH. Well I removed it and guess what after two years with it on my paint is now damaged where the rubber gasket met the roof. Anyone who is on the fence about getting a wind deflector don't do it!! Had i known that the car not only looks better and the wind noise is not any worse, I would have taken it off the day I bought it
  • paduccipaducci Member Posts: 9
    hello all, i find myself in a dilemma:

my brother owns a 96 maxima gxe with 110k miles on it. i know hes done regular maintenance on it, cause he has made me do it a couple of times, and he has never had any mechanical/electrical/etc. trouble with the car, only a ding or a dent here and there. It is, in Edmund terms, in 'Good' shape.

now, i just graduated from college, started a new job last week...its time to get a car. my brother is willing to part with his car. i wouldn't mind driving it at all, but part of me wants to just go out and get my own car for about $20-25k. I'm looking at either a new car, or a pre-owned car, open to any import makes, with preferably less than 20k miles on it.

any advice on what to do? take the maxima now, trade it in 2-3 years for a new car, or just go out and get a new/pre-owned car now? any opinions and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

vj
    -paducci@yahoo.com
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Hi,
    I have Maxima 97 and have problem with courtesy light in driver sides door. Does it suppose to light when driver open the driver side door? Because it only light when other doors are opened, not driver sides. How can I fix it?
  • spidermonkeyspidermonkey Member Posts: 30
    I've got a '93 Maxima that has been very reliable, so you should be safe with his car. While having a new car is nice and seems very important right after you get out of college, the payments will wear on you. I graduated in '97 and decided to keep my car (which I bought used) instead of getting a new car like many of my friends. That decision allowed me to buy a house, while they are all still in apartments. And to me, owning a new house is far more satisfying than driving a new car.
  • aes1519aes1519 Member Posts: 19
    I agree wholeheartedly with spidermonkey. Take the max. My dad has a 95 SE, 130K miles, that my sister, also a recent grad, have contemplated buying from him for the last 2 years. As the one with the higher paying job, I think she will wind up getting it later in the fall. It's been a great car, still in excellent shape and as fun as ever to drive.

My only moment of pause --- wait a month to see what the 2002 altima looks/drives like. You'd probably be able to get the 4 cyl. in your budget range if the speculation is accurate.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I jinxed myself. I have previously posted how exceptionally pleased I have been about 0 problems with my 1995 Maxima SE (now with 111,000 miles).

As luck would have it, the airbag light started blinking a few days ago. I'm taking the car in to have it diagnosed, but the dealer speculated that it is a failed airbag sensor/control unit which could be $800-$1,000 parts and labor. Anybody else had a similar problem, and if so, how much did it cost you. Thanks.
    thanks for the help. i think i'll see what the altima is like. does anybody have the speculation data as to the prices for each of the trim lines its gonna come with? the v6 would be nice, by then i'll have a couple of paychecks and my signing bonus tucked away :)
  • dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    Today's LA Times has an article on Nissan's resurgence led by the new Altima and a test drive of the 4 and 6 cylinder models. Click latimes .com and then
    click business on the left for the article on Nissan, then scroll down on the left to highway 1 for the Altima first drive. New Camry this October and a new Accord next year, looks like Nissan is in a good position to compete....

Duke
  • zergling2000zergling2000 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Today I went to the local NISSAN dealer, I am hunting for a 2001 MAXIMA SE. In the lot there is one quite satisfies me, it is a SE with Body Color Splash Guards, Floor Mats, and In-Cabin Micorfilter. The Invoice price is $22,604. The dealer told me that here should also be $400 dealer fee, which I never heard about.

After some talking, he finally offerred an out-of-door price at $24,000. The deal said that the price itself was then $22,083. I just wonder if it is a reasonable price? Or can I have some better offer recently? Since the 02maxima is coming, is it possible that the 01maxima price will get down further?

Thanks for you advice.
    $500 under invoice = reasonably good price. I just dropped off my Maxima for service and they are giving $1000 under invoice for any 2001 Maxima's left in stock, with no B.S. processing fees or additional costs tacked on. Not many left, though.

By the way, it looks like from your price, you are getting an automatic with virtually no options. I bought a 1995 SE 5-speed with the only option of ABS (since became standard equip.). I was on a tight budget at the time, but in hindsight wished I had gotten the sunroof. I paid $20,700, plus taxes/tags back in September 1994 if that makes you feel any better.
  • zergling2000zergling2000 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for your information.
    My target SE is Auto, of course. With only minor options, like mug and microfilter. A price $500 below invoice is pretty good. But the dealer wanted to charge me with $400 dealer fee. I never heard that nissan dealer should charge dealer fee or advertisement fee. With the $400 dealer fee, the price is in fact only $100 below invoice, I guess it would be some what higher than the expected price at this time. Am I right?
  • ewiemanewieman Member Posts: 5
    After putting 175,000 miles on my '93 Maxima, it was time to put the old girl out to pasture. So what to replace it with? I figured that if I got that much mileage out of a Maxima, it would probably pay to get another. So I am now the proud owner of a 2001 SE -- Gray Pearl Luster with a black leather interior. 5-Speed manual transmission. Has every option available (Leather package, comfort and convenience package, meridian package, floor mats, micro filter, splash guards, sunroof wind deflector, Bose) except for the multi-disk CD changer. I thought I got a reasonably good deal on the car -- I paid $26,350 plus tax and tags. The invoice contained a $400 advertising fee that the dealer told me was non-negotiable. I also had an Autobytel rep tell me that their price would also include a non-negotiable $400 advertising fee. Anybody had this fee charged them? Was it, in fact, non-negotiable?

Anyway, back to the good part -- the car. I can't say enough good things about it. Probably the nicest car I've ever had. I'm looking forward to putting as many (or more) miles on this one.

I also checked on the Maxima 5-Speed problem discussion. Does the fuel cut-out issue affect every Maxima, or only those manufactured prior to a certain date?? To be honest, I haven't noticed a problem, but then I haven't been looking for one.
    I think it varies state by state. I bought my Maxima in Maryland (VOB-Rockville). Maryland does not have $100-$200 "processing" fees that Virginia dealers try to charge. Also, VOB never mentioned or attempted to charge an "advertising fee". Did this appear in the manufacturer's window sticker? In my area (Washington D.C.), I am surprised that more Northern Virginia buyers don't cross the river and buy in Maryland.
  • ewiemanewieman Member Posts: 5
    I bought mine from Brown's Sterling Nissan near Dulles Airport. The advertising fee was listed on the vehicle invoice -- but not the window sticker. So when the dealer showed me the invoice, the "invoice price" was $400 higher than I had calculated it to be.
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Usually, advertising fees are built into the invoice of the car, but after a few months, this ad money runs out, as does the holdback on the car. The dealer then has to pay for all the advertising on the car out of pocket. They then try to pass this cost on to consumers so we can pay for their cars not selling well (as if it's our fault they can't sell cars). The dealer shouldn't charge you an ad fee if the car's new to the lot (usually less than 3 months in most cases), but I'm sure they'll try to charge you anyway. An infiniti salesman told me that these advertising fees are negotiable. He said it's just economics. If the car is selling well, he said they won't budge on the fees, but if the cars are not moving off the lot, he said they'll waive it to make a sale. He actually wanted to charge me $800 ($500 ad, $300 admin) in fees and wouldn't budge because his G20's were moving well that weekend. I walked out, went next door, and bought a new 01 Maxima for less.
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    Just had my first oil change in the Max...had service adjust the hood because of vibrations at high speeds....it seems the adjustment worked..however it seems the gap between the hood and the grille and headlights has widened....should I be concerned???...I really dont want highway grundge gettin in there...should I leave it alone and live with it or have it adjusted again..it is considerably wider than other Max's..Thanks...Joe D.
  • sooksook Member Posts: 5
    For those who have the Maxima factory service manual CD... Are you satisfied with the quality
    of the printed hardcopies? I'm just wondering
    if it's worth forking over an extra $65 for the paper
    manual. Thanks.
    for those of you who remember, i put up a post of couple of days ago in regards to whether or not I should buy my bros 96 gxe with 110k miles on it, or go for a new car. Well, I've been mulling over options, and I've come to this:

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    1996 Nissan Maxima GXE (110000 miles)
    -or-
    2002 Nissan Altima with the V6

i test drove the wrx..quite nice i must say. any strong opinions for or against any of these
    any strong opinions for or against any of these cars? or even other suggestions?

thanks
    Well if your not in too much of a rush I'd wait for the 2002 Altima and test it...its gonna be out very soon if I'm correct. I heard 7/27, but that might be something else..
  • jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    Take a look at the rubber hood cushions on either side in front. You can screw them higher or lower by turning them. Maybe you can dial them down a bit to eliminate the big gap yet still prevent the vibration.