Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    It seems to offer everything the Altima has and more. The only shortfall of the Max comes from the rear axle. Still it's a solid, awesome ride.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    My 2000 SE has been a great ride. I too was looking into an Altima for my wife, however I was not satisfied with the interior. Specifically the seat foam seemed to soft and the dash was not as nice as the 2002 Camry. Needless to say we ordered a 2002 SE (V6) Camry.

Very sharp interior (SE) and smooth ride, $26,300 out the door. If we did not own a Maxima we would have defiantly choose the it over ANYTHING else. 255 HP and 1% over invoice thats value, and it's made in Japan.
  • albatros43albatros43 Member Posts: 36
    I also own a 2001 Maxima SE automatic. I've only had it about 2 months and was worried I'd regret buying it when the new Altima came out. After getting 3.9%/60 months on the Maxima and seeing the new Altima, I have no regrets. My girlfriend and I stopped by the dealership after we heard the new Altimas were out, and I wasn't impressed. It looks sporty I suppose, but looks like a ripoff of the Lexus and wasn't nearly as large as it was supposed to be on the inside. Bottom line: the Maxima is still the flagship with a nicer finish, bigger engine, roomier interior, and a huge list of standard features that you pay more for in most other vehicle makes. To pay the same or more for the new Altima doesn't make sense to me. I also think resale might not be as good for the Altima. It will take a while for people to think of an Altima as more than a middle of the road vehicle, so I think you'd be better off with the Maxima in the longrun (What else would a Maxima owner say!) I will admit that I might be jealous when you get the extra 33 HP in the 2002. I'm still curious to see how much difference those make.
  • conleyrconleyr Member Posts: 6
    I would definitely go with the Max. I like the looks from the back of the Altima but from the front it looks like a Ford Taurus too me. I heard the 2002 Maximas (6-speeds) should do 0-60mph in about 6.1 ticks. I don't think there was much of a weight increase over the 2001s so this time probably makes sense given the extra ponies. I haven't seen any legit reviews yet to verify that however. Has anyone out there purchased a Max with the Navigation System in it? I would like to get that option but I don't care much for the trunk mounted cd changer.
    Does anyone know what sorts of changes are going to me made to the Maxima in the 2004 model besides the rear-drive configuration. Is Nissan basically trying to move it to the entry-level luxury market?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I would choose the Maxima because of the interior. I hate Nissan for this, I cannot believe they can design a car(the Altima) with some of the best exterior looks of any car in it's class, and then fail on the interior!!! I hate this so much, because I like the Altima better than the new Maxima, but the interior of the Maxima is what draws me back, just look at them, compare the luxurious SL Altima with the Luxurious GLE maxima, even though they are different in prices, I think the interior material should be way better in the new Altima, if they improve the interior in 2003, I will buy one, but if Ghosn can't realize that Americans not only like performance, but good quality and great material, Nissan will start to look more and more like the Big 3 Car companies, and will loose market share and sales will drop and I don't want that.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    okay..there's no comparsion! i do own a 2000 maxima..but i was very intrigued about the altima before it came out and wanted to get one... but after sitting in it at the dealer..there is NO comparsion between the two.. if you want a plain interior like most rental cars, get the altima... but if you want something that's a notch above the rest of the cars out there... get the max. this is based on interior styling alone.. but even if we're talking about the exterior styling, i would still go with the maxima.. i want to get those HID lights..but 1200bucks to get them? i dont think so!
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    Totally redesigned. After having worked in the high tech industry for years one thing is clear. No matter how much testing is done beforehand, there are always unpredicted surprizes. Some are trivial, others are nasty. If you really want the Altima, wait a year.
  • 6head6head Member Posts: 10
    I just faced the same decision and the choice came down to the interior. The Maxima SE interior is far superior to the Altima. I personally didn't want to wait for the next generation Maxima because I'm sure it will priced significantly greater than the current model. This will give the Altima 3.5 SE less internal competition.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    From what i've read, Maxima models from '04 and onwards will be made in the US. I am considering leasing a 2002 Maxima until 2004 and then buying the 2004 Maxima. Should i do this??
    My biggest concern is build quality and reliability of those new Maximas, since they'll be built in the US. I've noticed many build quality and reliability concerns (nothing severe) on newer Accords and Camry's that are built in the US.
    I am curious as to why Japanese carmakers choose to transfer construction of their revered models to the US. Is it because of pressure from the US?
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    FreshAlloy says new Maxima will be 2003. There is speculation that next Maxima may be RWD (as with some new GM models) but have seen nothing on this from any authoritative source. Have seen nothing to indicate it will new in model year 2004 or built in USA. What are your sources for this?

I doubt that Nissan is developing RWD platform for Maxima alone, so what other Nissan or Infiniti will share the alleged RWD platform? The new 350Z and G35 will share a RWD platform, but G35 is supposed to be about 184" length and Maxima is supposed to get bigger and it is 191" already, so I doubt the Max will share platform with these two. Maybe Q45?
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    About the US built Maxima 2004, go read this press release from Nissan (Sept. 27, 2001):

http://www.nissannews.com/corporate/news/2001/reljanel20010927110025.html

Thanks. That answers a few questions. First, if the new "performance sedan" Maxima is being built in 2003, that makes it a 2003 model like FreshAlloy says. If we assume introduction in fall of 2002, that means it will probably be built in Japan initially and probably both Japan and US (like Honda Accord is/was) after Jan 2003. If introduction is not until Jan 2003, maybe it will be designated a 2004 model.

Second, the press release clearly stated that it will be built on Altima platform. That means it will NOT be RWD.
  • 6head6head Member Posts: 10
    Wait and see, it will be rwd.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    It may have an AWD option as well. I am curious mostly about how Nissan will keep Q45 buyers from buying the Maxima if the 2004 is similar in interior room and engine performance. The 2003 (Q45) is rumored to have a 400HP motor, not sure if it is standard or not. The distinction between Infiniti and Nissan and vehicials within each line up seem to be narrowing. The new 2003 Infiniti RWD G35 will surely take I30 customers as well.
    This has been stated many times, and I read once on one of these Nissan-related websites that the car will be based on the new Altima platform, which is capable of AWD, not just FWD or RWD. If Nissan will be building both the Maxima and Altima in Tennessee, wouldn't it make more sense to use the same platform? BTW, the new Maxima is suppose to start production in early 2003, so it probably will be an early year 2004 model instead of a 2003 model. Simliar to what Nissan did with the Maxima back in 1999, they produced the 2000 in the middle of 1999.
  • mgh_1mgh_1 Member Posts: 22
    I'm like everyone else. I'm not really sure where the path is with the new Maxima is either. The thing is, the company does really seem to be doing some things right and moving in the right direction. I can only give them the benefit of the doubt that the next Maxima will be along that same path.

Maybe $30K - $35K for the new Maxima on a stretched Altima platform. Closer to $40K for the I35. Seems like Infinity is doing what Lexus is doing with their lineup. The G35 will not compete with I35 buyers much like the IS300 does not compete with ES300 buyers. Two totally different types of cars. $30 - $35K for an IS300 while a ES300 quickly approaches $40K optioned out. Maybe that's the approach on the Infinity side, while the Maxima while continue to be the flagship it has always been for Nissan, but more like a "baby" Q.

This of course is all just my .02 worth of a guess, but it seems to make sense to me.
    ....with the new Maxima coming to the states to be built, it makes me wonder what will happen to the I35. In the article, I don't remember reading anything about the I35, maybe they are going to stop producing it.
    '
    Nissan seems to have come a long way from a couple years ago when they were having major financial troubles. I'm sure the 2000/2001 Maxima model has been a big reason for that, especially since they are bringing production to the US now.
  • bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    of the Altima today in Warren Brown's column in the Washington Post. Maybe someone who's clever can post the link better than I. It's "On Wheels" for Sunday, Oct. 14, from www.washingtonpost.com. He loves the Altima, says Nissan will take big chunks from Honda Accord and Toyota Camry sales, and only problem is that it might cannibalize Maxima sales as well. He loved the interior, too, which has gotten some complaints on these forums. Neat column, really supports those of us who say Nissan is definitely back in a big way.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..to judge the Altima vs. Maxima interior. I have noticed quite a few strange comments and outright mistakes in his columns over the past year or two. I also think he must have a rather large posterior, because he does not favor seats with good hip and side bolstering. Says the BMW "sport" seats pinch him. I've tried them out and, in spite of needing to lose 10-15 pounds to get back into top "sport" shape myself, I found them exceptionally comfortable. I'm Warren's age, but I think I must have a lot more "sport" left in me.

I really don't think the Altima will cannibalize on the Maxima as much as he and others speculate. Rather, I think a lot of people will scratch their heads over a $27k MSRP for a loaded Altima SE. That's pretty ballsy for a car that sold in GXE trim for about $15k last year. While the Maxima may not incorproate the latest Audi inspired exterior design trends, it has a vastly superior interior and at least has the flagship label to go along with a $27k price.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Whether you tend to agree with Warren Brown or whether you tend towards differing opinions, here is a link to the article to which bianca2 referred: The Little Guy Wins Big.

What do others think of this piece?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    I agree the V6 is very nice. I didn't drive hard, therefore didn't noticed too much torque steer. Steering is light, and the car feels lighter than the Max. I would strongly consider this vehicle, but I didn't want to pay full MSRP. Also would like to see HID (we don't have them in the Canadian version), collapsing side mirrors, and hood that is held up not by the hood stand.

I didn't find the interior too bad. It did seem less expensive but it is comparable IMO to other cars in the price range.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Was looking over the 2002 Maxima brochure I picked up at the local dealer yesterday. Noticed that it shows the SE-only 6-speed manual ("Estimated Availability: October 2001") can be had with an optional "helical limited-slip differential" ("Estimated Availability: December 2001"). This LSD is only with manual. The SE with traction control can be had only with the automatic.
  • bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    Well, Warren wasn't comparing the interior of the Altima to the Max. as much as he was just commenting on how much he liked the car in general, and stating that he found the interior to be very attractive. He only made passing mention to possibly cannibalizing Max sales in the accompanying "nuts and bolts" section of the review.

I just think it's great that Nissan is coming back so well. I've had Nissan products for more than 20 years, starting with a Datsun 310 way back when, and finally worked my way up to the Maxima last year. I'm looking forward to trying out the new Z-car when it comes out, to relive memories of my misspent youth, when it was all about those fast boys in their hot cars...hmm, or was it the other way around?? ;)
  • mherronmherron Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2002 GXE a couple of days ago and thought I would share a few things after reading some of the comments about price,suspension,and the car in general.After searching 2 states and the D.C. region I think I found an excellent deal.I paid $20500 and could not find a dealer to match that price on a 2001,which I was originally wanted to buy.Financing is 5.9% vs 3.9%,but I think I think I got more car for the money.The price was way under invoice for all the sites I checked.I love the car so far,but I've been driving an 87 200SX with a 150000 miles on it and most anything would be an improvment.I do think I will miss the manual and the rear wheel drive.I,ve never owned a front wheel drive and never liked the auto on the wife's 95 Pathfinder.For the pros and cons of IRS, the 200SX has it and I'll try to take a few runs on the Blue Ridge Parkway to see if the solid rear really hinders the Maxima.Sorry this was so long,I attemted to hit on some of the subjects I read on this site. Thanks
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    O.K........Let me get this straight.

If I want a new Max (presently own '00 SE) that is
    completely assembled in Japan I need to be looking
    stricly at the 2000's because after the 2000 model
    year the Max will be built either partially or
    wholly in the U.S. and we REALLY DON'T KNOW at this
    point in time whether it will be FWD, RWD or AWD
    but KNOW ONLY that it will be built on the present
    ALTIMA PLATFORM. Have I got this RIGHT???
    I have a 2000 SE also and have the same concerns as you do. Yes, you have it straight. From what I have read and seen posted the new Max will be:
    1)either FWD, AWD, or RWD
    2)yes, it will be on Altima platform because Nissan press release, the only documented source so far, said so.
    3)Altima platform "can support RWD and/or AWD" (whatever that means - even Audi A4/A6 platforms is only FWD or AWD, no RWD and they have been doing it longer than Nissan).
    4) It will be built either in the US, Japan, or both

Well, I guess that pretty well summarizes everything that has been said.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    "the new Max will be:
    1)either FWD, AWD, or RWD"

what else is left? lol! :)
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    How about NWD (no wheel drive, aka as being on blocks), LSD (left side drive), RSD (right side drive), or DD (diagonal drive)?
  • dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    Took my 1 year old 01 SE Max in for service yesterday and stopped by the sales dept. to check out the new 02's. I drove a new 02 SE v6 Altima first ...loaded, leather, Bose, traction control etc. Lots of room, the factory wood grain looked real cheap and fake, the whole interior while large, was cheap, the leather and extruded plastic door panels didn't look appriopriate in this top of the line car. The car hauled a.., it reminded me of a Camaro v8, just kidding, smooth
    strong power thru the whole power band. Switched immediately to a loaded 02 Max SE, the new interior looks good and the in-dash 6 cd in the Bose is a bonus as are the new head-lights, I thought the Max was even faster than the Altima. I looked into dumping my 01 Max for an...02 Max. With my current 3 year lease I'm $3500 upside down. Not yet for me. BTW the Altimas are going for full sticker, while the Max deals are obviously available. My 2 cents

Duke
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Member Posts: 1,118
    After reading this site, I went to our local Nissan Dealer expecting to see a horrendous fit and finish on the Nissan Altima. I expected to see peices falling off, and a generally cheap appearance. I was pleasantly surprized. The interior was tight, well constructed and not bad looking at all. It was nice, but not fancy. This appeared to be a nice, typical mid level interior.

Then I went to the Maxima. There's no question the interior is a dream. The quality of the materials is clearly superior. I could describe the interior as airy. It definitely conveyed a superior feeling.

The front end took some careful examination to determine the differences. I'd have to watch for headlight or foglamp configuration to tell the difference at a glance.

The back end of the Altima in my view was superior. But I have hated the trunk styling of Japanese cars for years.

Bottom end though, if I were getting a 6 cyl I would definitely pick the proven Max over the 1.x version of the Altima.
    You guys are a scream....you oughta be on the stage...
    the next one outa' town

Now, robertr and I are LOL

In a more serious vein, I love the MAX and wasn't
    sure whether to trade for a 2002 or wait until the
    2003 comes out. I have serious reservations about
    waiting for the 2003 if it is not going to be of
    purely Japanese origin. Obviously, having that
    issue clarified will impact acutely on my decision.

berbel
  • irishfanirishfan Member Posts: 2
    What kind of a deal do you think I could get on a 2002 Maxima SE w/ Bose, Navigation, Floor mats, and sunroof? On Edmunds it calculates out to an invoice price of $26,937, and a MSRP of $30,065. Can anyone out there help me determine what I should try to negotiate with the dealer? I'm really clueless as to what these are going for, and don't want to get taken by the salesperson. Thanks in advance for your help!
  • tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    Anyone notice much torque steer on the '02 Maxima? Many complaints about torque steer in the V-6 Altima .
  • charlewcharlew Member Posts: 6
    I haven't logged in since I bought my 2000 Max a year ago. The folks and knowledge found here proved to be a great help throughout and after the sale. A frequent member posted regularly under the handle joenissan...do you still hear from him? I really enjoy the car, but have been having a bit of a problem lately, so I came back to check the latest posts. The first post I came upon referred to the same problem-a vibration in the steering wheel caused by the front brake rotors.The dealer claimed it was due to rust from the rotor lodging between the pad & rotor and turned the rotors, then charged me for replacing the brake pads. Is there a NTSB bulletin about this problem...very many owners noticing this? Funny thing was- the other guy's car started vibrating at 17,000 and that's exactly when mine started! Waiting to hear from you!
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    Yes there's torque steer if you stomp on it from a dead stop especially in a turn. I know it's there so I hold on to the steering wheel. It's not that bad though. If you accelerate normal you won't have a problem. I guess thats just the beast when you have front wheel drive and 222 or 255 HP.
    Semper Fi
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    "If I want a new Max (presently own '00 SE) that is completely assembled in Japan I need to be looking stricly at the 2000's because after the 2000 model"

I think that you intended to say the 2002 model, right?
    Charlew:

I have posted two similar inquiries about joenissan. He hasn't posted for months. For
    awhile, he was the subject of some childish,
    quasi vindictive posts here some of which were
    deleted by the moderator. I can only surmise that
    he grew weary of it and has left permantly. I miss
    reading his posts as well. He was a cornucopia of
    good info for all Max owners.

gerapau:

You are correct. I meant the 2002 model. Thanx.
  • charlewcharlew Member Posts: 6
    Thanks. The info was a great help(so far, anyway) I'll see if it makes a difference when I present the bulletin to my dealer! Always good info here! Chuck
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Just got a call from my dealer that their first 2002 SE 6-speed arrived today. Would have been sold, except for a credit problem with the buyer. I have an appointment to test drive tomorrow. Will be taking my stopwatch.
  • hurricaneradiohurricaneradio Member Posts: 6
    My 94 maxima SE, 93000 miles, has transmission problems. While cruising down the interstate the car upshifts a gear and then just as quickly goes back to forth gear. I suspect an electrical problem but where? Any suggestions.
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    The shifting problem can also be caused by dirt in your transmission fluid, or other problems. When was the last time you changed your fluid, or had the transmission serviced in any way?
  • caedward1caedward1 Member Posts: 2
    What can I expect to pay for a 2002 Maxima GXE?
    How much below sticker are others paying? My dealer (in Fort Worth, Texas) is reluctant to go below sticker.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    I live in IL and paid $23800 for a GXE. The invoice is around $23000. The dealer in TX can do better than that.
    Semper Fi
  • jsalsyjsalsy Member Posts: 1
    I'm real close to buying a '01 or '02 Maxima in Southern Maine & am looking for some feedback to help my decision. I've never owned one but am pretty much in love at this point. I'm a little concerned how the Maxima will do in the snow. The tires are massive which probably doesn't help. Also, I'm a little gun-shy of the 5-speed '01 from discussions of the "fuel cut" problem. Anyone know if this has been fixed on the '02 6-speed? Thanks a lot
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    I have a 97 Max SE with 65,000 miles. I need to replace the Goodyear RSA tires that came with the car. I am looking for a tire that would give me a smoother & quieter ride. I know I can only do so much since it is an SE, but thought the right tires might help. I have heard good things about the Dunlop Sport A2. I live in Chicago so I need fairly good snow traction. What have you guys replaced the factory tires with? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
  • bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    I live in the great white north and we see plenty of snow. I am not sure if we get different tires than the US version. Our all season is sufficient. Winter tires surely helps but I haven't had problem with the stock tires.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I agree w/oehrlein...the Ft Worth dealer is being a tad unrealistic. Here in San Antonio the ALTIMA is going for sticker price but the Maxima GXEs are being sold for under $24K, like #3198 mentioned. I just bought a 2002 GLE for $800 over invoice and this is a no haggle dealer!