Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    We accidentially left the antenna up while driving through one of those gas station car washes. Naturally it snapped off.

I bought the replacement at the dealer but can't figure out how to remove the current one from the fender. Anybody have any experience they'd like to share? Shop manuals? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to go to the dealer for this since it looks pretty simple and I'm sure we're not the first ones to do this?

(The cars got 180,000 miles on it and still looks and runs great!)

Thanks
  • ksatbjhksatbjh Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if 15" steel wheels will fit on an 02 max. I currently have some 15" tires that are like new and would work, but the steel wheels at the local tire shop hit the calipers on the 02's larger brakes.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I used the 15" wheels off my 95 GLE for dedicated snows for my 2000 SE. They fit and worked perfectly (but look terrible compared to those 17")

I also upsized to 16" mag wheels on the 95 GLE and improved it's looks as well.
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    My 2001 Max has the 200 watt Bose system..It'll kick yer a__!!....I wouldnt have it any other way...I took it over leather...you get more use out of it and it sounds great for a factory sound system..
    I gotta tell ya....I saw the 2002 SE's 17" alloy wheels....zzzzzzzzz...I like my 17" 2001 wheels 10 times better...they are definetly better looking and have more class(JMHO).....Joe D.
  • merlionmerlion Member Posts: 39
    Mirth:
    Looks like the OEM tires are bad for snow traction according to reviews on tirerack.com. Bridgestone Blizzak is used best for snow traction. But 153 per tire...man it's expensive. Luckily I just need to travel 5-6 miles to work and it is a straight road.

Gerapau is right.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    OK, that makes sense then! I looked at the SEs too and really couldn't tell any difference in the ride but wanted leather so opted for the GLE w/o a sunroof.

Yup, Wake grad from the early 70s and still follow them closely. Nice thing about b-ball is we can get our revenge on the 'Noles after we get creamed in football!

ACC Rules!
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    How could the 2001 17" wheels look 10 times better than the 2002 SE 17" wheels. The only difference is the new ones don't have that cap to cover all the bolts. I prefer the new ones myself. I was just wondering what you saw in the old ones.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ..but I will say that I liked them better than the 2002 Alloy wheels, yes, I know that it's just that the center cap is replaced, but they actually looked better, they made the car look more agressive, and help with the overall styling. Basically, the alloy wheels looked more masculine than the "facelifted" ones. But, this is just my opinion.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I had to replace a power antenna on the car I had before my Maxima. I had a local stereo shop put it in (I bought the part there, much cheaper than OEM), and it only cost about $20 to install. Better to let a pro crawl around in the trunk.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Would the GXE's 16" H tires be better in the snow than the SE's 17" V "performance" tires?
  • dcristdcrist Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering what the real difference is so I priced both cars on Edmunds. A Maxima GLE(The closest to the I35) w/floor mats, front side airbags, and traction control system is $28,266. The I35 base price is $29,295 and includes all of the above. That's only a difference of $1,029 not the $2-4000 quoted here by others. I'm certainly not knocking the Max. but lets be fair. If you want a version w/fewer options you can certainly be lower but thats not comparing an apple to an apple.
  • rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    Have narrowed down my choice to a 98-2000 Maxima Considering on other car - but the Max has a solid combination of fun, reliability, comfort, etc. Would love a 2002 but just bought the wife a new car in spring so need to go pre-owned..:<

Any specific issues to look out for when considering a 98-2000? The pricing on these cars are pretty good in the NY/CT area - anywhere from $15-18K depending upon trim level and mileage.

Appreciate any input. Thx.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    The earlier Maximas you are considering are "fourth generation" cars. The fifth generation began with the controversial redesign in 2000. Your first decision should be between generations, I'd say. The car is essentially the same, although each year's new introduction added a few new options (like traction control, which became available in 1999). If you like the older styling, you can save money since the market tends to devalue a car after a new generation of styling has been introduced. A 98 or 99 Max with low miles and the features you like would be a great buy. If you really like the new styling you have fewer options; just try to find the right car at the right price.

The best news is that all these cars are basically reliable, well-engineered and have some of the best engines ever put in a car.
  • g159g159 Member Posts: 23
    good snow tire= tall/flexible (numerically high aspect ratio, the second part of 205/60 designation) This makes the tire more flexible and it finds a better traction patch in snow. also a lower speed rating such as h is 130 mph, and v is 149 mph. As I said, flex is key, and a higher speed tire has both stiffer side walls, and is made of a rubber mixture that is more stiff as the temperature drops. Also v rated tires are typically sporty designs that just plain are not designed for snow. However, some all season v tires can work better than lesser brand h. the best answer is www.tirerack.com type in the car you are interested and view all tire possiblities. there is a user feedback section where people list their satisfaction or lack thereof. good luck.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    What a guy!
  • mikemc1mikemc1 Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up my 02' Max GLE last week. The car is really wonderful. Has every option
    except the navigation system and I paid less than $30,000. The Xenon lights are awesome. I really like the heated steering wheel. The fuel mileage is excellant for a 255hp engine.
    This is my first brand new car I have ever had and the first foreign car I have purchased. I anticipate having no problems with this car based on Nissan's quality control.
    I would like to hear from other 2002 Max owners about their experiences/ problems, etc
    with their new MAX.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    Altima 3.5 se with abs and trac control at $23,445.00------Or Maxima SE at $24,000.00
    (the prices are carsdirect qoute) Now at these prices , without changing anything about cars wich is better deal. Maxima comes with abs , but no trac. cntrl.. Altima has rear indepentent suspension, which the Maxima does not. Maxima has new xenon headlight, Altima not. Every time I come up with a reason to go with one I find something I like better on the other. ARGHHHHHHHH! I ,like others, have a hard time (right or wrong) justifying spending Maxima prices on an Altima. The Altima is comanding (at present) near 800 over invoice, while the Maxima only 300 over invoice. Also would anyone know of any incentives Nissan might be giving come Novemebr on the Maxima?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Not what the dealer(s) have on their lot. You can always attempt to special order or, better yet, find a dealer who will locate what you want and then do an inter-dealer trade. Not that difficult if you get a decent salesperson at a decent dealer.

Get the specific car you want. If you want side airbags, side curtain airbags, HID, TC, etc., you can get that in the Altima 3.5 SE. If there is something specific you want that can only be had on a Maxima or I-35, then get that.
  • bigcheezbigcheez Member Posts: 11
    I have driven the Altima 2.5 S. and the Maxima se (think). I have read lots of comments on the Altima(mainly about the interior), and several on the Maxima. I can afford to wait until next year to purchase but am still unsure which to purchase. It is hard to make up your mind only driving both for short trips. I currently drive a 1996 Intrepid, and have never owned a Nissan. I liked the looks of interior of the Maxima better, ride wise seemed similar, although Altima seemed to have more legroom.

I have also driven a Passat. We also own a Jetta and the Passat was similar in ride to the Jetta, so have pretty much ruled it out.
    Basically I am looking for a dependable fun ride
    with not too much sports car, but more then the Camry, which I also drove. Have owned a 89 Firebird in past and don't want that rough of a ride again. Are the 01 & 02 Maxima's similar?
    Thought I could possibly get a better deal on the Maxima? Any advice ridewise, etc would be apprecated. Sorry this was so lengthy.
    Also, could someone explain torque steering?
    I see this mentioned and do not know what it is.
    Thanks.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    An example: From a stoplight, while intending to go down the street in a perfectly straight line, you floor the engine. The car starts pulling to one side or the other. Forces you to have to "fight" the unintended steering off to the side by using the steering wheel to re-center the car's direction. If you were to leave the steering wheel alone, the car would veer off in one direction or other, but not keep straight line.

If you think of torque as the twisting power of the engine, think of torque steering as the twisting power of the wheels affecting one side or the other as you give the engine lots of power. This usually only afflicts FWD cars. FWDers have the drive wheels and steering wheels the same. (RWDers have steering up front and drive wheels in back.) Usually happens when there is a lot of power going to the front wheels. FWDers with unequal half-shafts are prime suspects, but too much power can pretty much cause it in any FWDer.
  • peej22peej22 Member Posts: 5
    Hey Mikemc1,
    I just picked up my '02 Max GLE last week. I got all options except Nav.sys for about $27,900. Mine is grey with black interior. I finally found where the heated steering wheel was and used it last nite and it was right on time. Is there a special button for the heated mirrors? I have gotten alot of stares in this car. One guy asked me if it was an Infinity. I laughed and so did he. I'm so pumped about my purchase never felt this way about my nice but ho hum '99 Accord V6.
  • djp2cdjp2c Member Posts: 39
    I can't help but wonder about the price of Maxima's in the USA.

My 02 GLE with every option(the only way it is sold in Canada) to which I added a Rear Spoiler, a
    Bug and Sunroof Deflector, Front Mud Guards (not in yet) and Window Tinting cost me $36,070. not including taxes which in Canada is 15% plus air tax and gas tax $175.00.
    The freight was $966.00.

Are there taxes in the prices you are listing on cars purchased in the US? If so how much?

So, if I had US dollars, I could buy the GLE Loaded, with everything but the Nav System for $26,400. US Dollars. (including the spoiler etc.)

Any comments or observations?
    Where did you come up with the 26,400 USD?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I always thought "torque steering" was the tendency for the front wheels to attempt to either pull harder or straighten out when you intended to turn under power (i.e. forcing you to counteract the torque force). You seem to indicate that it occurs when you intend to go in a straight line. Is it both conditions, or am I incorrect?
    I just started looking at this based upon a previous post suggesting it makes sense for US buyers to purchase in Canada.

Here is what I've found: Maxima SE 6-speed, fully equiped except for Navigation system. US list $30,002, US Invoice $26,895 (both include destination, but no taxes). Canadian list $36,900 + 966 dest. = $37,866 Canadian. I have found dealer willing to knock off $2,000 Canadian for sale price of $35,866 +/- Canadian. Current exchange rate 1.575 Canadian to 1.00 US. Equivalent US price for fully loaded Maxima SE = $22,700 +/-. There is a 2.5% duty to bring back to US, plus a couple of other little taxes/fees, making the final number $23,400 +/- (not including sales tax).

It is my understanding that the 15% Canadian sales tax must be paid upon purchase, but is refunded by mail upon confirmation that the car has been exported. The buyer must then pay whatever his/her local sales taxes are in the states.

The net-net of this is, that if one is willing to go through the hassle, one could get a Maxima SE with a US invoice price of $26,900 +/- for about $3,500 (U.S.) cheaper in Canada. This assumes you could buy the Maxima in the states at invoice, which is probably aggressive, at least for a 6-speed SE. Assuming $500 over invoice is more likely, then the savings are $4,000. Not bad. Still haven't looked into how you change the odometer to read miles.
  • jimmie8jimmie8 Member Posts: 31
    Both of you are correct...torque steer is exhibited both when you are accelerating in a straight line (the car tends to pull to one side) as well as when you are accelerating in a turn (the tires tend to want to straighten out instead of following the path of the turn). I think the term "torque steer" can be used properly in both situations.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    You're right on all counts! Yes, a brand new SE for $23,400. I know I keep mentioning this, but the US dollar just keeps getting stronger against the Canadian dollar. Which means prices keep getting lower for us. I went to Toronto to get mine (Vancouver is also real good on prices). If you want the odo changed to miles, a speedometer shop can do it - I have some contacts on that too.
    -Jon
    Look at them very carefully.....The current wheels look NO different than the 2001 GLE 16" mag wheels...the 2001 17" are distinctevly different than the rest of the bunch....classier in my opinion...the 2002 wheels look no different and lack personality....Joe D.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    The 2002 17" SE wheels have 6 spokes and are shaped differently than the 2001 5 spoke 16" wheels. I agree about the 2001 17" wheels looking more classy, but I like the sporty look when you can see the bolts. Just differing opinions I guess.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    i think im starting to feel my steering wheel pulsating when i brake at highway speeds...where can i get the TSB to this to bring to the service dept? (2000 Maxima)

i also need the TSB for the TCM replacement.

Thanks!
    Yes, I believe it can happen in both circumstances but is often much more pronounced from a standing start when you give the car maximum power and want maximum initial acceleration. I just gave the straight line/standing start scenario as one example. Happens when you apply too much power to the drive wheels, which are also always the steering wheels in a FWD car.

This is one reason why a good helical limited slip differential can be critical to a powerful FWD car. It, and equal half-shafts, won't completely eliminate torque steer, but can minimize.
  • hbjhbjhbjhbj Member Posts: 6
    As a 48 track recording studio owner for more than 15 years, I can testify that the subwoofer systems in the Bose Systems offered by Nissan do not sound good by any stretch of the imagination, if by good you mean like the original recording. They merely sound insanely bassy. (For the geeks out there, out of curiosity I did a spectral analysis of this system and the <100hz was +6 to +10dB over average f gain). This particularly matters to me because I constantly check recordings I do in the car, since the end user of most recordings in most circumstances is listening in their car too.

If you like rocking the ghetto with the bass drum, this system is just the ticket. But if you want to hear the music the way the artist and the engineers hoped you'd hear it, these systems are terrible. Also, unfortunately there's not much adjustment that the user can do. Based on my experience with them, I've found that they require that you turn -down- the bass by 4 if not all 5 clicks, as well as the treble a couple notches, to get something listenable and as balanced as these systems will allow you to get. The problem is, turning down the bass control affects a lot of frequencies that are -not- overhyped by the subwoofer, so the resultant sound, though somewhat more accurate, is also weakened in the part of the low end above the frequencies where the subwoofer operates.

Some solutions I've thought about for myself (if I end up getting a Nissan/Infiniti with a Bose subwoofer system that I'll share here): finding out if there's a way to put an equalizer in-line before the power amp; removing the subwoofer altogether; putting an attenuator (volume knob) in line with the feeds to the subwoofer. Any ideas anyone else has I'd love to hear too.

About the wattage of the two systems: More wattage is a good thing, especially in a car. Not because it plays louder (which it marginally does), but because it plays more cleanly at higher volumes. And when you're cruising at freeway speeds, especially with the windows down and the sunroof open, if you put a meter on it you'd be amazed at how loud the ambient noise is and how loud the radio has to play to be heard over it. So higher wattage manifests itself in at least two ways: 1) the speakers will get cleaner current at high volumes, and thus be less likely to distort, as well as less likely to fail; 2) The treble part of the sound, if it's fed by the same amplifier, will be cleaner, since the bass is what really taxes the amplifier, and if you're pushing the amp like crazy with heavy bass, the higher frequencies suffer inadequate power. (hence "bi-amped" technology to solve this problem).

I haven't heard the 120 watt system in the Nissans. But my guess would be that if it has the subwoofer, it'll sound worse than the Bose, but if it doesn't have the subwoofer, it'll probably sound a lot better. I know the 80 watt non-subwoofer system in my old G20 sounds -much- more accurate and in my opinion, miles better, than the Bose.
    So is that why the Bose system in '95 - '99 Max sounds better (cleaner) than the post '99 models?
  • kacij4kacij4 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently in the market for a new car. I really like the 2002 Maxima GLE, but that is a little out of our price range. I noticed in the 2002 brochure that leather appointed seats are listed as an accessory for the GLE and am now considering purchasing a GXE with the leather seats and an after-market sunroof. Does anyone have an invoice price on the leather seats for the GXE? What are your opinions of after-market sunroofs? Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • brown33brown33 Member Posts: 11
    I am considering a 2000 Max GXE, and was wondering when Nissan added de-powered airbags to the Maxima.
    Give me a frippin break...ok...so you have a "little" background in sound....SOOOO WHAT...we're talking car stereo here with a minimal sound reproducing area...not a 30,000 isoteric system sitting in a perfectly set recording studio.....who cares....question is does it sound better than average to the average "schmo"...and yes it does....the sub may produce heavier than average bass...but thats what the bass control is for...we dont need to do a spectral analasis to see if it sounds great..I've been in to many cars with 1000's of dollars invested...and this ain't bad for the buck..specially being factory....Joe D.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but settle down man! I'm sure there are many that don't care about the "whys" and "hows", but then there are techies in every crowd who are interested in as much technical detail as possible.
  • merlionmerlion Member Posts: 39
    I drove my 2002 Maxima SE around at night. It was way cool. Man, it lights up the area in front of u real well, unlike my previous car which uses the typical halogen light.

Finally I understand the hype about HID lights and why people spent 500 bucks to upgrade their cars.
  • pateros67pateros67 Member Posts: 19
    kacij4 - Leather is standard on the GLE. I may be wrong, but I believe that leather in any GXE is an after market so to speak - meaning that it doesn't come leather equipped from the factory. Ask the dealer who installs their leather, then call that shop & ask how much they charge to install leather seating. I did that and found that I could get leather on my GXE for $1000 whereas the dealer was charging $1400 for it.
    Nissan's 2002 brochure indicates that leather is available on GXE but only as an "accessory". Doesn't appear Nissan builds GXE with leather. Guess you gotta get thru dealer. Interestingly, brochure indicates that leather is either an option with SE (SE Leather Pkg) or an "accessory".
    I think so, imho. I had occasion to rent a 2000 I30 for a couple weeks, and I remember thinking "geez, they way overtuned the bass", and screwing around with it for 10 minutes trying to get it to sound listenable. And since I love the car in most other ways, I was excited to hear the new 2002 model, thinking they'd certainly have addressed the problem. But it seems about the same.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the pre-99 systems you're referring to, but I bet they're a less-hyped, more balanced system. IMHO there's nothing wrong with Bose systems per se - on the contary, they've always been known as a ground-breaking audio company - but in this case the subwoofer and the way it was tuned is way overdone. I suspect that if Bose had had its way, it'd have done something more accurate, but that in this case, it's likely that it was the Nissan engineers who said "make it sound huge! More bass!", since when clients say they want it bigger, big bass is often an easy way to make them happy :)
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Given your opinion, which I respect, how would you order a new I30 or Maxima? And how would you modify it to make the sound natural?
    None taken....understood....I'm not knocking techies...have at it...but lets compare apples with apples...not oranges....it would be impossible for a car sound system to sound exact as the recorder intended unless you stuffed those Klipsch or B+W or JBL studio hall monitors in the back dash...but that mite be a little tooo excessive or inconvenient,so be fair in the analysis...you can spend 1000's and still not come close..or spend 900 as in the Bose's case,save some dough, and still have some decent sound...Joe D.
    Thanks - Since I do love the car and think I'll probably get one in a few weeks, I think what I'll probably do is order the Bose system, then go to a car stereo shop and ask if they could put an attenuator, like a good old fashioned volume knob, on just the subwoofer. Since it's handling speaker level current, they'd have to put in one designed for that purpose. That would take them hopefully less than 15 minutes, if the subwoofer is easily accessible (to those who have this car: does it look easy to get at the subwoofer? Maybe from the trunk?) Then you could adjust the level of subwoofer sound to your own taste. This fix would also be very easy and cheap to undo invisibly if you later decided to sell the car, and didn't want to burden your sale explaining your wacky modifications.

If the stereo shop is a good one, it might make sense to explain the problem and have them listen. Then they might say "sure, no problem, we'll just tone that down with an xxx resistor", or maybe have other good ideas. They might be able to try different resistors while you listen and tell them which sounds best to you.

I think the -best- solution, though also the most expensive and invasive as far as possibly altering the original decor of the car, would be to buy a graphic equalizer, at least a 5 band, and the more bands the better in fact, and -if it's possible in this system- put it in line between the line out of the radio/cd/cassette and the line in of the power amp. If those things are all piled together in one box you couldn't really do it, but if they're separate (for example the power amp's in the trunk, like in many aftermarket systems), it would be a half-hour fix for a good car stereo shop. I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you the equalizer too, and could probably do a good job putting it somewhere in the cabin that looked nice.

Graphic equalizers are great, because they really let you tune the sound to the environment you're listening in. For example, they're used extensively on tours to allow bands to sound the same as they go through many different-sounding stadiums and clubs. So in the car, it'd help not only this bass problem, but also allow you to get it to sound just the way you personally like it.
    ..back in 1978 when I bought my first new car (Datsun B210 GX Hatchback), I decided I needed a good car stereo. Went through a couple of Pioneer cassette decks separate equalizers and deck-mounted speakers. OK at best. Finally ended up having one of my college buddies who was an EE help me install a Fosgate pre-amp & amp, Nakamichi under dash cassette deck (essentially one of their top of line home decks that could also be run off 12 volts) and a pair of Rodgers bookshelf studio monitor speakers used in recording studios. The speakers were secured in the back hatch, but could also be placed outside the car for that occassional (OK, frequent) beach party.

The good news is that, after investing roughly $1,100 (in a new car that only cost $4,000), I had a sound system that was better than 95% of home audiophile systems. The bad news was, when it was turned on, my 0-60 acceleration dropped by 5 seconds and my gas milage by 5 mpg!

Seriously, I doubt that anything made today could ever come close to my college days system. Fortunately, I don't have any ambitions to replicate that insanity and will limit my audiphile ambitions to my living room.

P.S. Any comments on the BMW DSP "Hi-Fi" option on the BMW 5-series??
    Wow! I'm surprised you didn't need a marine battery to drive the amp to drive those speakers! I must admit I don't understand the drop in acceleration, but I'll certainly take your word for it!

I just looked up the BMW system. Basically, part of it is a digital version of the equalizer we've been talking about. My guess is it probably works pretty nicely, allowing you to set the sound of the system, as far as bass and treble and all the subtleties in between, to what you find most appealing . I wish all high-end cars came with something like this. It would do a lot to make people happier with their car stereo systems. (Though I guess the BMW 5 series is probably a fair bit more expensive than the Nissan products?)

Another part of it is the ambience stuff, the "cathedral", "concert hall", and that sort of thing. Imho, that's just gimmickry, especially in a car audio system. What it does is generate digital reverberation (to simulate the echoes you hear in an empty hall, for example). While this can sound good in headphones (it overemphasizes the stereo field and makes the sound more 'envelopping', for lack of a better word, if that even is a word...), in a car you've got so much ambient noise already that it doesn't make sense to do anything that would degrade the clarity of the original signal (which the reverberation does). It would make it sound muddier, more washed out, more echo-y, and possibly kind of cool in the quiet of your garage with the engine off, but out on the road, probably the effect would be just to muddy it up. Audio engineers spend a long time trying to figure out how much of this ambience type sound to include in the original recording and use some pretty fancy gear to make it happen. Just tacking more on later is unlikely to improve the enjoyment of the recording at all, except if you love that echo-y sound. Also, the additional "stereoizing" effect that would sound so neat in headphones is all but lost in a car, where you're sitting way off center, and where there's a ton of ambient noise to all but mask what would be a fairly subtle effect anyway.
    ...the drop in acceleration and gas milage. That is what one of my envious friends used to tell people when they admired my sound system. He had a Jaguar E-type with a much inferior stereo. I offered a couple of times to trade my stereo system for his car, but he never went for it.

As for the BMW 530i, the sound system is a $1,000 option on a $42,000+ car, so yes it is a good bit more expensive than a Maxima.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    ..don't understand your reasoning. By the time you add the expense of a sunroof and leather you basically have a GLE. If that's out of your price range why consider a GXE with those 2 features?

PLUS, I would never get after market sunroofs, or leather for that matter. Warranties would be a problem, at a minimum. If you're gonna finance, why not finance everything on the car you want- you can't finance aftermarket stuff on the car loan and a car loan is a lower rate than any other type you'd use to pay for the leather/sunroof..

Am I missing something?
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    I currently drive an '01 Maxima SE automatic. I really enjoy the car. Anyway - to the point. My previous car was a '95 Pontiac Bonneville SE. Had all options that I wanted except the sunroof. I had one put in and it was excellent. It was considerably larger than factory and always reliable - never a problem in the 5 1/2 years that I had it. It was a one touch tinted with vent and a safety in case of "obstruction" when closing. Another terriffic feture was what I called the idiot feature - you forget to close it, it closed automaticly when you shut off the car - or you could over ride it with the touch of a button. It also came with a six (yes, 6) year warranty. I live in Fairfield County CT which is 25 minutes from New Rochelle NY where I had the unit installed. This is a serious place though. I definatly would not go to "Joe Blow's sunroof & stereo" - NO WAY. Here is the phone # and Name of the place that did my Bonneville - Auto Sunroof of Larchmont - 914 - 633 - 1550. They do the installations for ALOT of the dealers for many miles around. I believe the brand was "American Sunroof" I have no idea where you live however perhaps they can steer you in the right direction to get the info you need.
    Good luck.