Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    since the only Maximas out there seem to be fully loaded with all avail. options.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Hey! Thanks man! :)

So we know it will have IRS, but probably no word on whether or not it will be RWD.

Also, if the new Max won't be here until Spring of 2003, then the current Max will have to run until December of 02. That is unless they kill it early like BMW did with the current 740. That would mean you could probably buy an 02 up until Oct of 2002. When they run out, everyone else has to wait until the 03 comes out in Spring? Does this seem like the way it is going to be?

Obi
  • sully26sully26 Member Posts: 6
    I thought it was a pretty good question since I will be ordering my car and would like to know what the standard audio system offers. thanks anyways. anyone know?
  • bobbyknightbobbyknight Member Posts: 121
    What is the range of Prices dealers quoted you on a 2002 Maxima SE? In my area, TMV has not been that accurate on other cars I have looked at.

Thanks
  • liantaoliantao Member Posts: 2
    Hi, to all of you guys. Can anybody tell me the difference between a "GLE" and a "GXE with all the options (Including Leather Seats)" for model beween 1995-1999.
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    the 6 disc changer is standard but if you get the nav system then they place the changer in the trunk
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Why is it that Nissan will show case there products month or years before the launch of the car? Such as G35, Altima, FX45, Z350 to name a few.

Honda, Toyota/Lexus never reveal the car until the end. Would a car company have something to lose if the car was featured in a magazine or on TV a few months before it was released?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I think it's just different corporate philosophies. I can see pros and cons in each. Take Honda for example. They keep the wraps on their new models until the last minute so people will keep buying the current ones. That may be true to some degree, but I for one think that if they release the info on the new models early, people can decide if they like the new ones enough to wait, or to buy the current one. For a real-life example, a friend of mine was considering the '99 Odyssey. He decided to wait for the '00 first. When it came out, he decided it was too big for their needs. But by then the '99's were all gone, so it forced him to buy from the different manufacturer. Honda's secrecy lost a sale!
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    her secrets to me anytime she wants to...I would even close the office to learn those secrets... except for court calendars, of course...NO ONE keeps the Judge waiting...:):):)

Bob
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I think Nissan has to showcase their future cars because they aren't as set financially as the others. They need to throw their ideas out there to drum up interest.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Lexus showed the IS300 several months before it's debut. Acura did this too with the new CL and the TL-S.

Then again, I think Nissan needs to showcase their stuff to get people talking about the new Altima, the new 'Z', the new full-sized P/U truck, etc.

Obi:

I think Nissan is building the new max in the US, so they will likely produce the old max up until they are ready to sell the new one (I would imagine). I bought my 2000 in mid 1999 (there were still plenty of '99s available). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan didn't go IRS (I read that the new Z will have a front and rear multilink set-up...go figure).
    what exactly IS it?? My fiancee won't tell me!! Damn! :)
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    if your fiancee won't tell you then you definitely have issues... bahahahahah

anyway... it sounds like you would trade your current ride for a new generation... I bet the new generation will be better looking than the new Altima... a little more exclusive as well.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan didn't go IRS (I read that the new Z will have a front and rear multilink set-up...go figure).

A multilink set-up is independent. Multilinks front and rear are better than multilinks only in the rear. I think you're confusing this with Nissan's "multi-link beam" suspension, which is a marketing term for the non-independent rear suspension on the current Maxima and Sentra.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I have a 1995 SE, but from my memory, the fully loaded GXE still lacked a few items that the GLE had: liquid filled engine mounts and added insulation for soundproofing, larger wheels and tires (depending upon model year), possibly others.
    You've never heard of Victoria's Secrets? How about Frederick of Hollywood?
    I have heard of BOTH! I am just saying I don't know what Victoria's secret is?

You know the actual SECRET?? It was a joke. I'll clarify myself better next time! Geez! If I didn't know what "Victoria's Secret" or "Frederick's of Hollywood" were, I'd shoot myself...

or else my fiancee would shoot me for not getting her stuff from there! ;-)

Obi
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    Since advertising cost was brought up here, I thought I'd tell you a pet peeve of mine.
    Why is it new car dealers think nothing of permanently affixing the name of the dealer on new cars WE BUY? Isn’t that advertising? Last I checked they charge us about $300.00 for advertising. Why cant we charge them for turning our cars into billboards? Why do they assume it is o.k. to do this… because YOU let them. When I buy a car I warn them “do NOT under any circumstances put anything on MY NEW car other than a license plate holder”. That way if I don’t like it I can take it off. How many people here would beat the you know what out of someone they caught putting a bumper sticker, or any other type of permanent marking on their new vehicle? The Nerve of these rats, after we pay tens of thousands of dollars, they deface our vehicles! Why don’t more of you stop the dealer from doing that? Sorry. I see so many nice looking cars ruined by some crass advertising on the vehicle. I think we should all stand up and say “I’m as made as H@#$%, and I’m not gonna take it any more
    I don't know what happened above. It should be
    Why is it new car dealers think nothing of permanently affixing the name of the dealer on new cars WE BUY? Isn't that advertising? Last I checked they charge us about $300.00 for advertising. Why cant we charge them for turning our cars into billboards? Why do they assume it is o.k. to do this, because YOU let them. When I buy a car I warn them, do NOT under any circumstances put anything on MY NEW car other than a license plate holder. That way if I don't like it I can take it off. How many people here would beat the you know what out of someone they caught putting a bumper sticker, or any other type of permanent marking on their new vehicle? The Nerve of these rats, after we pay tens of thousands of dollars, they deface our vehicles! Why don't more of you stop the dealer from doing that? Sorry. I see so many nice looking cars ruined by some crass advertising on the vehicle. I think we should all stand up and say I'm as made as H@#$%, and I'm not gonna take it any more
  • maxman03maxman03 Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone! I am in Seattle area, I am looking to get 2002 Maxima GLE, could anyone suggest what's the best price in market? thanks!
  • bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    Victoria Secret special on tv this week.

BTW, i tested the 2002 Max today. The mileage info didn't change during the trip. What it broken or did I not do something right. It said 14.7L/100km all along.
    You are baaaad. You just teasing about Vicky's Secrets?

Re: mileage. You have one hell of a steady foot?
  • galvanjjrgalvanjjr Member Posts: 4
    I live in Austin, TX and have been looking into the pricing of the 2002 Maxima SE (Fully Loaded...Nav, Leather, Meridian,Bose CD trunk mounted changer,Sunroof, Wind deflector, Mud guards-4, Side air bags, mats...even that good for nothing traction control) for quite some time and got prices all over the board. I plan on ordering the car in December and hopefully should be signing the papers in March 2002. Edmunds I guess is pretty good TMV says $30,108.00, Cars Direct quoted $30,134.00, Town North Nissan quoted $30,595.00 talked them down to 30,282.00, South Point Nissan quoted 3% above invoice. Invoice price is $29,234.00 and price came out to $30,111.00. Finally the Last place I researched was a no-haggle dealer in San Antonio. Gunn Nissan quoted $29,678.00 + TTL. I am currently in negotiations with this dealer and if everything goes well and no tricks are pulled I should be living the Max life come March. Good Luck In Your Search!
    I think I may have confused the terms. I think I threw out the magazine where I read about the Z, otherwise I could have looked it up to confirm. Oh well, I'm sure we'll hear more about it.
    If Vicki told you then it wouldn't be a secret anymore! :-)
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Quite a number of years ago when buying a new car,
    I told the salesman at the time that I did not mind
    if they placed their dealer logo on the trunk lid
    of my new ride. Of course he was glad to hear that until I told him that if they chose to do that, they should have a check for $3000.00 waiting for
    me when I took delivery. He asked why the $3000.00?
    I suggested that was my cost to them for advertis-
    ing over the next couple of years. There was NO LOGO when I took delivery and I have told every
    dealer the same thing since then with the same re-
    sult!
    Too bad everyone doesn't do that. It really gets me going when I see a beautiful new car "tainted" by a dealers sticker or even worse some dealers have a punch on emblem. Why do people allow that after paying tens of thousands of dollars for a new vehicle. They inspect them and complain about a scratch the size of a pin head, and allow dealers to deface vehicle with advertising.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    If I'm happy with the service and price a dealer gives me I have no problem with a small, tasteful logo on the car, or even a dealer plate frame.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The local Nissan dealership puts these hideous Day-glow license plate inserts on the cars. I spied a gorgeous 2002 SE Max the other day...on the frontend was one of those ugly inserts. Why people drive with them is beyond me.

I'd never let a dealer put his logo on MY car. As for the frames and even the inserts on a new car...they come off instantly. I will not advertise for a company.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    "I will not advertise for a company."

Blueguy, you do advertise for a company, right on the hood of your car. That company made a hell of a lot more profit on it than your dealer.

But day-glo? I'd take it off too!
  • liantaoliantao Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info.
  • peteroddopeteroddo Member Posts: 5
    Is it worth it. I have had a 2001 SE 5 speed since mid-June with the std 3 yr or 36,000 mile warranty. I drive 21,000 miles per year and plan to keep the car for 7 years.

The dealer called offering an over the road warranty for 5 years or 100,000 miles for $857.00.

It has a $50 deductible and overlaps the std warranty, i.e. it starts from the day I bought the car even though I already have 9,000 miles.

I am curious if others have taken this warranty and all the things it covers. They mentioned the free hotel room if on the road, etc, but I don't know about the car itself. Will it cover a new water pump at 70,000 or new shocks at 80,000?

I can ask the dealer but thought I would try to get some unbiased information first.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your help.
    I am not sure what an "over the road" warranty is. I am also not sure if you mean that it runs for an additional 5 years or just gives you a total of 5 years and 100,000 miles instead of the standard 3/36. I'll assume the latter.

In any event, as I have posted numerous times before (sorry to regulars here for the repeat), I now have 117,100 miles on my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed and have yet to have a single repair that would have been covered under warranty.

On the one hand, the $857 price sounds relatively reasonable. And it also matches your driving habit of 21k miles per year. On the other hand, the Maxima is extremely reliable and, if you're as lucky as me, you won't have any claims between 36k and 100k (or up to 117k, for that matter).

I doubt the warranty covers normal wear and tear items like brakes, clutch, etc. (Again, I only replaced my front brake pads at 90k, clutch is still like new). I would think a water pump would be covered, but shocks may not.

I drive about 80%+ highway miles. According to my friendly service manager, my car shows less wear and tear at 117k than many "city" cars show at 30-40k. He previously advised me against getting an extended warranty, to which I owe him much appreciation. I expect that if your 21k miles is mostly highway, he would advise you similarly.
  • galvanjjrgalvanjjr Member Posts: 4
    I am planning on purchasing a 2002 Nissan Maxima with the optional Nav. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything bad about these systems in regards to repair.

I hadn't planned on buying an extended warranty but the LCD touch screen on the system controls not only the Nav but also the automatic temperature control settings and that worries me a bit.

I work in the computer industry and know that these things (Touch Screen LCD) don't last as long as you may want them too.

I also wanted to know if anyone knows the exact prices for the different regional CD-ROM disks for the Nav system since I'm having a hard time getting an exact price from the dealer.
    I would recommend you get a full demonstration of the Maxima navigation system before you decide to order one. The sales manager at my Nissan dealership is only ordering one Maxima with the system, and that's just to satisfy the regional office. He has seen the system and is not that impressed.

I myself have not seen the Maxima system. However, I have seen several others and they vary greatly in image quality. And they are advancing as I write. The 2001/2002 system in the BMW's is larger and much easier to read than their 2000 version (went to 16:9 format in 2001). I have a business associate who is rather upset that his 2000 M5 has an already "obsolete" system. Although not so upset to sell me the car at 30% off list.

Nav systems are an interesting gizmo, but at around $2,000, I'm going to pass. Whether I end up with a new Maxima or BMW 530, I don't my car to "age" as quickly as the last generation computer chip. After all, my 1995 Maxima still looks and runs great at 117k miles, which is a lot more than I can say for my 1995 NEC 486/33 desktop (donated to Goodwill in 1998).

Just my 2 cents.
  • alfaberalfaber Member Posts: 19
    galvanjjr: One other idea is to buy an Infiniti I35 (almost the same car) with a nav system instead (this is what I just did). I like it better than the Maxima's because it is a popup unit on top of the dash, and uses a separate control panel (i.e., it is not a touch screen). It's very easy to see and use, and if you don't need it, it can stay closed. Best of all, the climate control and radio are not part of the nav system, so they each have their own set of controls.
    I prefer the separate controls to the maxima system (or my wife's Acura TL), both of which have some of the climate controls in the nav screen.
    Just a thought.
    --Andy
  • shislr1shislr1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Maxima Se 5 spd w/ 63k miles. Sometimes after I push the clutch in, the engine will rev to 1500 rpms. Once I tap the gas pedal, the engine then idles at the normal rpms. This happens even when the engine has warmed up. However, it doesn't do it all the time. Anyone have an idea what could cause the fast idle. Im taking it to the dealer in a few days. Thanks.
    Several have mentioned they wished they got it. If you want it you MUST get moon roof side air bags bose stereo, and I think leather. So you traction control will cost over $2,500 when all is bundled. COME ON NISSAN!!! 255 HP FWD and ya can't package something as important to THAT car as traction control as stand alone option. Shows what they think of the people who pay their salaries. Overall I still think this is the car I want. Anyone else notice carsdirect price for Maxima SE has gone up $100 two weeks ago , then ANOTHER $100 last week! I think it may have to do with supply. ASPER Nisaa they planned on makink and selling less Maximas this year. The dealer near me had many Maximas in beginning of October. Just about ALL gone now, and haven't seen any new ones coming in. Too bad for me 'cause I will be buying in 1st week of December. Maybe they will get new shipment. I hope to get SE for 24,000. I have seen many ads for less in particular Quirknissan at 22,999. Unfortunately that is not near me.
  • blackstone3blackstone3 Member Posts: 29
    Who plans on replacing their spark plugs before 105000? I have used platinum plugs before and I noticed wearing at 30K on one of my old cars. I know the manual states I can leave them in however it just scares me to wait that long. What do you think?
    The Canadian market usually gets shortchanged when it comes to automotive choices, but this would be one instance where we've got it better. Traction control is standard in the most basic GXE here in Canada.
    Nissandriven web site has a section on Maxima SE. One of the STANDARD fearures it list is the following "6-disc CD autochanger (in-dash, system is trunk-mounted when equipped with Nissan Navigation System)". I was under the impression that it only came with single cd player as standard. Am I wrong or is Nissan web site wrong?
  • giggles7giggles7 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2002 Maxima GLE and discovered after about a week's worth of driving that the odometer was registering kilometers instead of miles. Because the car was made for the U.S. and not Canada, this isn't just a matter of switching it out -- a faulty odometer generally clouds a car's title. After extended discussion with the dealership, they agreed to take it back and exchange it for a new one without the odometer problem. After they found a similarly equipped Maxima they called me in to test drive it, and it had the same problem. I'm not sure whether this is an unusual problem (i.e. 50-100 effected cars) or if a large number of the new Maximas have it. But if you just bought a new Maxima, or are planning on buying one, please check the odometer now. (You can compare it to mile-marker posts, or to another car, or against the GPS system if your model has it.) Otherwise, i was loving the new car, and am sad to be driving a loaner vehicle right now.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Whoa! That's really interesting - wonder how that happened. Have a new GLE too and it's fine, I think...lol. Better check it out on the freeway tomorrow...Would love to know how Nissan explains this - have never heard of that happening anywhere.
    Everyone gets down on the Maxima having a solid rear beam axle, right?

Well, am I right in saying, "Who cares?"

It is not like I am ever going to race my Maxima on a track and it is not like I go throwing it through corners. Plus, when I DO throw it through corners, it holds the road fine. It is a sedan, NOT a race car and I think the suspension is very practical.

I owned a 95 Integra GS-R (ala double wishbone front and rear) and it was a good road handler, but not perfect. I also owned a 99 Acura CL 3.0 (ala double wishbone front and rear) and that thing handled like crap! The only car I owned with IRS that was worth it was my 90 BMW M3. But then again, that WAS a race car and I DID expect it to perform. It never did let me down. Awesome little car!

I think my Maxima handles better than my CL ever did. So therefore, is it really necessary to have an IRS unless the car is a legit sports car? Me thinks not. Unless it is a BMW or Benz, IRS is not that important. How often do you see people in S500's racing? Not often.

Unless you are one of those people into racing your modlified "Civic's" or "Accord's" and then, well....that is just a waste of money.

Obi
    P.S. On that odometer thing. My car is leased and it seems like it is measuring LESS than the right miles. Go figure!
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    If you get either of the Bose radio option (nav or non-nav), you get the 6 disc changer. The nav option forces the changer to be in the trunk. On SE and GLE models, if you need to have a sunroof in order to get a Bose radio...and who doesn't like the 'roof? :)
    I think if you WERE racing your Max on a glass-smooth track, then the beam may not be a problem. But it's out in the real world where corners are laced with bumps and potholes that will upset the Max. And I don't think you have to go bombing through the corners to get the Max all jumpy. So it is a design "flaw" that affects real-life folks in real-life situations. But having said that, I don't think it's something that you can't live with. The Max's other virtues may certainly overshadow this one "flaw".
    After much internal debate, I purchased a 2002 Honda S2000 Saturday evening and am keeping my 1995 Maxima SE for at least another year or two. After considering many options that would result in selling or trading my Maxima (including BMW 330i, 530i, 540i, M3, AMG C32, E320 Wagon, and a new 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed), I decided to go for the third car option (we also have an Isuzu Trooper kid mobile). Blame my accountant who pointed out that I had fully depreciated my 1995 Maxima. He pointed out the benefit of getting something new before December 31.

That I would feel quite comfortable getting an S2000 when my primary car is 7 years old with 117k miles is a real testimonial to the Maxima. It is certainly not "fully depreciated" in my book and I still enjoy entertaining comments about how great it looks and drives.

So, for all of you out there considering a Maxima, I really don't think you can go wrong. And, with all due respect to "canadiancl" and others who continue to express concerns about the Maxima's suspension, you're being too academic. I have extensively test driven everything out there and IMHO the Maxima SE 5/6 speed equals or exceeds the handling and overall performance of ANY front wheel drive sedan made by Honda, Acura, Toyota, VW, Audi or anyone else. It's no BMW 5-series, but then neither is anything else.

Good luck to all who have purchased or are considering a Maxima.
  • sully26sully26 Member Posts: 6
    just wondering how much your "marketing assessment" (advertising fee?) was on your 2002 maxima. I heard that it is a line item on the dealer's invoice and that it varies by region. I'm in Boston and if you paid it, how much was it? thanks.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    My fellow Max lovers:

There have been a lot of comments and questions
    about Nissan's "advertising fee." posted here over
    the last several months. Just as an "fyi," when
    I found that as part of the "deal" my dealer pro-
    posed to me, I looked him in the eye and courteously but firmly stated, "Your advertising
    comes under the heading of "cost of doing business"
    and I absolutely refuse to pay your advertising
    expenses." After checking with his sales manager
    that advertising fee DISAPPEARED!!!

berbel
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    Yeah the beam makes little difference to me, but then again I bought the SE, so I expect a little bit of a harsh ride. As canadian said in everyday driving it can be a little rough for passengers when you hit a bump especially for those sitting in the back. Just think about the last time you went over a speed bump, the back end of the car really thumps. Though (for me) the other virtues overshadowed the multi-link beam.