Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Don't give up on the idea of the Goodyear RS-A's.
    Sears handles Goodyear tires and may be able to order them for you. A few weeks ago when I wanted
    Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-01's for my SE, Sears beat
    everyone's price on them. I'll guess they can can
    get better prices because of volume ordering.

I still DO NOT understand why Nissan has chosen a
    tire size for the SE's that allows the consumer so
    little and limited buying choice. Sounds like
    someone "made a deal."
  • sysadmin1sysadmin1 Member Posts: 122
    To the 02 GLE Majestic BLue. Paid 27,500 then took the $1000 cash back off. How does this deal stack up to what you all have been getting? IT was loaded minus the NAV.
  • oxtsc90oxtsc90 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Does anyone know if the control buttons on the steering wheel are suppose to be lighted at night? The controls for the door locks and windows are lighted, so I would think the ones on the steering wheel would light. I couldn't find it in the owner's manual. I have a new 2002 MAXIMA GXE and just figured they would light up. Before I go to the dealer and complain, I wanted to make sure they are suppose to work.
  • volmaxvolmax Member Posts: 8
    I am in the buying process on a 02 SE and the dealer is trying to charge me a $435 marketing fee. Is this fee for real and has anyone actually paid this fee? I will take the 0.9% financing so I will not get the $1000 rebate. How much over invoice are people paying for a 02 SE six speed?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The marketing fee is part of the dealer's invoice. If you are making a deal $X above invoice, it is included in the invoice price (but not on Edmunds) and is a legit fee. If you had already agreed to a dollar figure and then are having this fee sprung upon you, it is not legit.
    In my '02 Altima, the steering wheel controls do not light up. I assume it is the same for the Maxima.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    Well, I just screwed up my 2002 GLE baby yesterday, when I slid sideways on an icy patch and rocked my rims on a high curb. I'm looking for anyone who has a 2k2 GLE who may have gone to aftermarket, and is looking to get some $$ for their stock rims. I'm looking for at least 2, and these are the seven spoke, 17" GLE style.
    Drop me a note if you have some or know where to look. Dealers don't seem to have P/N yet.
    pwitzleb@rochester.rr.com
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I have not given up on Goodyear.....Actually I want to see the price in a place like Tirerack. The OE Potenzas are about $160 each right now, and unless the Eagles are gonna last WAY longer I could not justify the extra almost $80-$100 per tire I was quoted.

Anyway, I have 26K right now on my 00, and I think I probably have about 10K or so to go.....will probably replace before next winter.

Fortunately, it rarely snows in DC (at least the last few years) so I don't need Blizzaks.
  • mgt6103mgt6103 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone driven the maxima se 6 speed (manual)? I have been unable to locate a 6 speed to drive. More to the point, has anyone been able to purchase or lease a 6 speed maxima se? If so, were you charged a "premium" for the hard to find manual transmission. Other cars i'm looking at include acura 3.2TL and TL-S, vw passat GLX 5 spd, audi a-4, infiniti i-35, lexus is300. thanks for any help!
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Hmm, in S. Cal I had seen a dealer had 6 speed Maxima. It seems the 6 speed is not selling too well.
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    I have been getting 300-500 over invoice for the 5 speeds.
    Invoice fully loaded without Nav system should be 26739.
    Don't buy the nav system
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..in early November at VOB Nissan in Rockville Maryland. For some reason there was a 6+/- week gap between the very first 6-speeds arriving in the DC area in late September and when the next units arrived in November. I ended up getting a Honda S2000 and keeping my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed. However, I have been called several times by different dealers in this area to ask me if I'm still in the market for a Maxima 6-speed. They seem to be available here.

FWIW, I thought the 6-speed with the 3.5 liter engine was a noticable but not extraordinary improvement over the 2001 model. However, some of that improvement only got the car back up to the performance of my 1995. It shouldn't be, but my 190hp 1995 model definitely feels more responsive and quicker to me than the 222hp 2000/2001 models. I'm guessing the 2002 is quicker than my 1995, but not by a large margin.

It remains interesting to me that since 1995 the Maxima has grown from 3.0 to 3.5 liters and a claimed output of 190hp to 255hp without that much of a "seat of the pants" improvement, IMO. On the other hand the BMW 530i at 3.0 liters and 225 hp is a very noticable improvement over the previous 528i (2.8 liters and 192 hp). This reinforces my belief that TEST DRIVING is much more important than reading horsepower quoting marketing ads.

P.S. Even though they are not as plentiful, my preferred dealer (VOB) had offered me the same deal (relative to invoice) on a 6-speed as they were giving on automatics. I doubt that at this point you would need to pay a "premium" for a 6-speed, especially since they are already in Maxima rebate mode.
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I think I recall where Motor Trend tested a 1995 Maxima 5-speed and got just under 7 sec 0-60, there was also an article about the fastest cars available which included the '95 Max with a top speed of 141 mph. These numbers are about the same as my 2000 SE 5-speed, so I tend to agree with you. I had a 1997 SE automatic, and I know it was tested in the magazines slower than the 1995 auto. For some reason, the Max got slower from '95 to '99, the 2000 horsepower increase just compensated for the loss.

By the way, how does the acceleration of the Honda S2000 compare to your Max? I remember reading an article in R&T, which said that they had to drop the clutch at something like 8000rpm to get the approx. 6 sec(?) 0-60 times, whereas a "normal" takeoff was more like 10-11 sec 0-60. (just curious since I've never driven an S2000, I bet its fun although the Max would be preferable as a daily driven all-purpose car).
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Couple of automotive press mags had the new Altima 3.5SE 5-speed manual blistering 0-60 mph in about 6.25-6.30 seconds. Think MotorWeek had theirs clocked at a sizzling 5.90 seconds.

Has anyone seen a published 0-60 mph or 0-100 kph time for new Maxima 3.5 w/6-speed manual? Will be interesting to see a published time. Motor Trend's automatic I-35 did it in 7.0 seconds.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    do NOT light up at night.......a minor inconvenience....
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    The car mags' published 0-60 times mean nothing because no sane owner will ever abuse his car by using the launch methods the car mags use to achieve those times. Automatic 0-60 times are more reasonably likely to be achieved in real-life situations.
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    I haven't seen 0-60 times for maxima but a couple of people on maxima.org got about 14.3 for the 1/4 mile. I think this would put the 0-60 time under 6 sec. probably around 5.6-5.8
    I'm not sure if there is a reliable correlation between 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times. Some cars' acceleration curves really drop off after 60 - 70 mph.
    I know there's no correlation between 1/4 times and 0-60 tines but, I'm actually basing it on the test times of the 2002 Nissan Altima. In the 0-60 it got 5.9sec and 14.4 for the 1/4. Therefore since they are similar cars in hp, torque and weight I just assumed their times would close to one another. Of course their gear ratios are different so that would also affect their times.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    I don't agree with you that people are more likely to achieve results similar to the magazines with autos then those with manuals.
    You do realize that the results achieved by most magazines for auto tranny cars are done by reving the engine to high rpms while keeping a foot on the brake. Once the rpms are high the brake is released and the car takes off. This is just as damaging, if not more so, then releasing the clutch at high rpms with a manual.
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Folks,
    I haven't posted in a while on this topic, but if you really want to save a bundle, go up to Canada to get your Max. And I'm not talking pocket change. For example, a loaded GLE sells for about $22,500. That's $4000 under US dealer invoice. There are a number of posts here and in the Pathfinder forum about those of us who have done it (over 60 now). Not difficult at all. Toronto and Vancouver have the best prices and selection.

I promise I'll do another complete write-up soon. See post #29 above for some info I posted long ago. Just drop me an email for all the details. I'm glad to help out.

-Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    A car's 0-60 speed and its quarter-mile speed are interesting, but don't relate much to real-life driving situations. I experience the need for speed mainly when merging (going from 20 to 60) or passing (going from maybe 50 to 70 or 80). I wish the benchmark in auto journalism for "power" as expressed by speed at least included these measures of speed. This, I suppose, is another reason to actually drive cars rather than obsessing about speeds shown in car reviews. A car that goes fast from 0-60 will probably do well when passing, but I'd prefer to see cars rated in a way that included real passing power.

steve
    Robertr, Since you asked...

Let me start by stating for the record, I am not the drag racing type. I like a car with strong performace capabilities, but I'm not likely to "drop a clutch" at 6,000 rpm "launch" it. Had I done that with my 1995 Maxima SE, I'd probably be replacing it instead of enjoying an S2000 as a third car.

That said, the S2000 is reasonably quick off the line when pushed with "normal" techniques. The real difference is that it continues up to it's 9000 rpm redline very strongly. From 0 to 30, I'd have to push the S2000 a bit to match the Maxima. From 30 to 80+, it's quite a bit stronger.

In the 0-60 vs. 1/4 mile vs. 50-70, etc. dabate, I'd cast my vote for Road and Track's 0-100 mph times as coming the closest to matching my "seat of the pants" evaluation. Not that I ever test drove cars to those speeds. But, as others have pointed out, there are some funny things that can be done to improve or distort 0-60 times. In some cases, only one shift is necessary, in others, two are required. And, as canadianlc notes, some cars have shot much of their wad by 60-70 and others are still coming on strong. Case in point: Road and Track tested the S2000 at 5.5 seconds 0-60 vs. 6.7 seconds for the 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed. That's a fairly significant difference, but still only 1.2 seconds. The 0-100 mph ratings were 14.2 and 20.6 respectively. By my math, that means the S2000 goes from 60 to 100 in 8.7 seconds, but the Maxima takes 13.9 (i.e. 5.2 seconds / 60% longer). That is a huge difference and probably is what makes the S2000 feel a lot more powerful to me at near highway speeds. A lot of cars that appear competitive based upon 0-60 times are really not, IMO. The S2000 is actually a lot closer to an M3 in 0-100 than it is to a Maxima.

To read this post, you'd never know that I got the S2000 based upon it's handling and sun-tanning capabilities!!
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    My dealer found plenty of 6 speeds within 200 miles and I got the exact car I wanted (hard to find Tungsten) from a dealer 150 miles from home. No premium. I think the 6 speed has great seat-of-pants feel, definitely faster than my 90 SE or 2000 SE, but I can't compare to the 95-99 generation. My advice, take it for a test drive (representative of your driving) and if it's fun, buy it, don't worry about the magazines.

Any replies to my question about Nitto tires, any experience with them. They have the 17" size.

thanks,gg
  • adamlee23adamlee23 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

I have a 2001 Max with 10,500 miles on it, and had a mysterious popping noise coming out of the left front strut, when entering driveways, and the car would sway. Just got back from the dealer, and had the strut, rod assembly, and bearings replaced, all under warranty, no sweat. My question is...do struts have to be broken in? The same popping noise is gone, but a new gassy pffft...noise is heard now. Probably nothing but just wondering.
  • oxtsc90oxtsc90 Member Posts: 2
    godeacs --- thanks for the update.....bummer!
    That was a great answer.

On another note, are you sure 20.6 seconds for 0-100 is correct? I just looked at the Motor Trend test of the 2000 Max SE 5-speed, and they have the quarter mile in 15.1 sec at 94.4 mph, and give 13.8 sec for the 0-90 time (they don't give a 0-100 time). Based on the above, I would guess the Max should hit 100 by 17 seconds e.t.

By the way, I feel the same as you do about driving and the car's performance capabilities. I never drop the clutch at high revs. Even if I want a fast start, most times I just quickly ease it out while increasing throttle, and then only starting at about 1500-2000 rpms. I think that the magazine road testers are much more abusive.
    It is possible the 2000 Maxima has better high end power than the 1995 Maxima, accounting for the difference in 0-100 times. I know that the 2k Maxima's engine was tuned more for high-end power than the '95's was, which is why 0-60 times didn't improve much despite the additional 32 hp.
  • montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    Well R&T got the 2k 5spd Se Max to 100 in 18.6 and Motortrend in an earlier issue got the 95 5 spd to 100 in 18.9 sec robertr. The 2k-2k1 really doesnt make good use of the extra power. Autos the 95 is still the quickest auto besides the 2k2.
    You may be right about the extra power. I couldn't find the R&T test on line, but I looked at Car and Driver's June 1999 test of the 2000SE.
    Their result was 14.9 sec 0-90, and 19.5 sec 0-100. It seems odd that it would take all of 4.6 seconds for that last 10mph. That means it took 25% of the time for the last 10 mph. My Maxima "seat-of-the-pants" feels faster than that, but then I don't do it every day. :)

By the way, CDs quarter mile was 15.6 seconds at 91 mph, so it took .7 seconds for that last 1mph. At that rate, assuming that it takes 0.7 seconds for each additional 1mph (actually, the time should increase), the additional 9mph would take 6.3 sec for a 0-100 of 21.9 seconds. It was a preproduction model, and maybe they were shifting into 4th too soon?
  • plummanplumman Member Posts: 21
    By the way, I got a salesman to give me a price of 22999 for a 6-speed, black no roof, before tax, but with the 1k rebate. They had 2 SE's selling for 20888, with auto and cloth. My guess is these rebates will continue for a while longer.
    I think Nissan is using the rebates to make room for the newly updated Maxima that they are supposed to release as a 2003 (mid-2002 or earlier???). The rebates are also for the Pathfinder. This way most people will have already pre-ordered the Z or the g35 so a new maxima (rwd, 4L 300hp V8?) won't cut into their sales.
    Montmax:

I wouldn't advise cross comparing Motortrend and Road and Track performance test results. Motortrend seems to consistently quote faster times and higher skidpad ratings. Example - On the S2000, Road & Track's numbers are 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.1 and 0.90g skidpad. Motortrends are 5.2 seconds, 13.8 seconds and 0.96 g's respectively. I suspect that Road and Track is a little more reasonable in their testing procedures.

Robertr:

I made a mistake. The times I quoted above were from Car and Driver's (not Road and Track's) June 1994 issue with the 1995 Nissan Maxima SE on the cover. The full test results are:

0-30 2.4 seconds
    0-40 3.6 " (shift to second at 38 mph)
    0-50 5.0 "
    0-60 6.7 "
    0-70 9.0 " (shift to third at 67 mph)
    0-80 11.5 "
    0-90 14.9 "
    0-100 20.6 " (shift to fourth at 98 mph)
    0-110 26.2 "
    0-120 39.0 " (shift to fifth at 131 mph)

1/4 mile - 15.3 sec @ 91 mph
    Top speed - 135 mph
    Lateral accel. - 0.78g

I think Car and Driver's numbers are more consistent with Road and Track's than Motortrends, but I still wouldn't compare them directly.
  • raaizinraaizin Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone noticed that their hood flutters slightly when going over 70MPH. It occurs on the drivers side behind the front left wheelwell. My hood is properly closed and there are no gaps to suggest it is misaligned. Car is a 2k2 SE, are there any fixes for this.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I hear good things about Nitto tires (low cost, good performance, great treadwear). I almost bought a set last year (came really close).

I'd go for it. Just make sure you don't get catch in the snow with them because I don't think that they are rated as All-Season tires (I could be wrong though). Hi performance tires are great in the dry and rain, but are terrible in snow and ice.

You might even want to consider buying a 17" or 18" set of rims and fitting them with the Nittos. Then swapping them out for your original rims every winter (if you live in a cold climate).
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    Yes I do notice it and it peeves me off to no end...I've posted comments about this a couple of times....looks like we're not alone...I've been to the dealership and had them adjust the hood adjusters under the hood...however..it lowers the vibration but the adjustment widens the gap between your grille and hood noticeably. I had the dealer put it back the way it was and I live with the flutter,I couldnt stand that much gap.....Joe D.
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    I have the same hood "flutter" on my 01 GXE. I also had this same problem on my 96 J30. I've learned to live with it, but it still bothers me. I'll see if the dealer can correct it on my next visit.
    when they adjust those hood adjusters, aside from widening the gap with the grille, would it also make the hood not level with the top of the fenders? That would bug me even more than the flutter.
  • will38will38 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2002 SE with the Bose stereo. The subwoofer rattles. Has anyone else had this problem? Did you have it repaired, and if so, how was it done? I would appreciate any help.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    I am close to accepting an offer for an 02 Maxima GLE with all options but NAV.

Sterling Mist with black leather interior

-Sun Roof
    - Sun Roof Wind Deflector
    - Side air bags
    - Traction Control
    - Merridian
    - Floor Mats
    - Splash Guards

$540 destination
    $500 marketing charge

$27583 ($400 over invoice).

Thinking of moving before 0.9 financing closes. The sense from the dealer is can't guaranty financing rate will be there in Feb -- they may emphasise Sentra or some other car.

A good deal?

Better deals to come as 2003 revised Max approaches?

Thx. -- Joe
  • cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    A friend of mine just bought almost the exact same car for about $1100 less (26,400). I know she said that there was a $1000 rebate until the end of this month. You mentioned .9% finanacing, so probably that voids the cash rebate though.
  • lex430lex430 Member Posts: 52
    Went to the dealer here in S. Cal and tested out the new 6 speed. It was greaaat! it's definitely a fun, fun, fun car to drive, it handled very well, took couple of sharp curves at ~40mph, tire slides but hangs on.

On a straight road, if you redline each gear from the stop, tires spin at the end of 1st gear. sales person told me because there are so much torque on the car, that's why. I am not sure if it's true. But, felt the backend slipped a bit because of the tire spin. But then again, I don't normally redline every gear when i drive. So, may not be big deal.

mostly, there is no more lag or hesitation when you step on the gas as in the pre-2001 models.

the transmission was very smooth and easy to shift, I would definitly consider buying the car if i was in the market for a fun sedan that's got some power!

btw, on a endnote, I test drove the car pretty hard, and the sales person was 'demonstrating' the car for me, so he drove it quite hard also. I am curious if most new cars are treated in this way by majority of the dealers. In which case, i would make sure the car I want comes directly off the truck, and not one that's been on the lot and it's been 'practiced' by the sales staff.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Thanks cpa. I think I want the financing and not the cash.

At these prices the difference between 0.9% and 6% ends up being about $2000.

Sounds like they might have $100 compression in that retail price since we are still in negotiation.

Thx.
  • mgt6103mgt6103 Member Posts: 10
    I was able to drive one the other day. Very nice car for the money (even had a heated steering wheel). Transmission was was quick shifting and precise. Handling and subjective "feel" of the car still seem not to be on par with VW Passat, Audi, etc. but overall is a fun to drive car when driven with a manual transmission. Definitely one of the best values around for the amount of car you get for the money. It's interesting that (for me) the 2 generations back Maxima SE with 190 horse engine had a (subjective)balance, handling, and oomph that -- dare I say -- was better than anything since?
    ..why I decided to keep my 1995 SE 5-speed and get a Honda S2000 as a fun car. Not a slap against the 2002 6-speed, it's just that the 1995 5-speed was/is pretty competitive, still.
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    Oddly enough the level wasnt that bad...it was the gap that drove me nuts.....even with them un adjusted the gap is still wider than I've seen on others...trust me I've been looking.....they did help with the hood flutter I'll admit but at a cost...hard to believe Japanese quality control is not what it used to be.....Joe D.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Where did you get that info you posted about the
    2003 Max w/ a 4 litre 300 hp v8 not to mention rwd?
    Just curious.....!

berbel
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    nowak,
    That's probably not a bad deal, but look back a week in the posts here. That exact same GLE with all those options will sell in Toronto for $22,500! That's $5000 less. No, you won't get the 0.9%, but you'll still save a bundle. Consider it. Over 60 of us have gone to Canada last time I counted. Email me if you need the info. Always glad to help out.
    -Jon
  • jahjahmanjahjahman Member Posts: 1
    I found a site recently which stated that the 2003 Maxima will be built on the Altima platform. If this is so, do you think that the problems associated with torque steering will be addressed? (as with the Infiniti G35)
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    lofquist,
    Can i get a Maxima GLE delivered from Canada
    to the US. I'm not sure about traveling all the way up from DC to Canada. Could you drive one from Canada to DC for me :) I'll pay the gas.
    And, will Canadian maximas meet the same specs and requirements as US ones (i.e. emissiona, safety, etc..)