Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    I would take a pass on a '91 with 190k.
    From what I've heard, that is just about what you can expect Nissan to last for ....@ 200K..and then you look at $$ to make it run longer. Hondas seem to go deeper into the 200k territory.
    I know it is not even close to as sporty or fun to drive as a Max, but even something like a mid 90s Taurus is going to be a better value and a safer car around that price point. Using the Edmunds used car guide, it also seems like $3500 is on the high side..mileage adjustment should be -$1100.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I'm a TX resident as well, and am well acquainted with musty A/C odors. The microfilter may in fact have some mold growing on it, but the smell is more likely coming from the evaporator core. The core (and the plastic box it lives in) are always damp inside from the condensation created by the cold core, and it is a perfect place to grow mold, mildew, and fungus. There are powerful sprays available (the German Wurth company makes one) that you spray directly into the plenum intake to kill the nasties, and they will often get the worst of it. A severe case (no pun intended) may necessitate dismantling the evap case for a thorough disinfecting - a very expensive job. I've seen instances where the mold is so bad that the drain line from the evap case will clog, and cause the case to overflow, dumping water onto the floor of the interior - don't ask me how I know this :-(
  • tarchetarche Member Posts: 1
    I'm ever so close to getting a 2002 GLE. I know aboout the $1000 rebate but I can't find any info on the special financing rates other than the 0.9% I read in this forum. Can anyone please provide a breakdown of the rates and the period (i.e 0.9 for 36, ... 3.9 for 60). Also, do you think $4500 is a good trade for an average 95 GXE with 90650 miles? Thanks very much.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    I won't! There's always anecdotal evidence here about getting a great deal, below invoice, etc. But the below invoice deals are definitely rare "pockets of exception" in the US for the Max. Btw, I visit this site regularly the past 6 months or so and recall maybe a handful of folks getting the Max "below invoice". Obviously Nissan dealers would go out of business if it were the norm....
  • hrvathrvat Member Posts: 18
    Well, it's the 5th week I've had my 2002 SE and am happy that I made the right decision.

The only complaint I have is that the quality of the radio stinks. I'm sure I'm not a big music buff like most posters here, but even I can tell the difference of the poor sound quality. I've listened to $10 hand-held radios that have better sound quality.

I wish I could remove the radio from my old 1986 Camaro, which is far superior than the one in the Maxima's. Ironically, it's one of the few parts of the car that I never had a problem with.

It's a shame that they would install such a cheesy system on such a nice car. Anyone else have any comments on the radio?
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    $3500 does seem a bit on the high side. Here is a link for you to check:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/nissan/maxima/4drsesedan/prices.html

Hit "Customized Appraisal" then punch in the options that the max has. It will take an excessive mileage hit of $1100 (so deduct that from the $3500)

I personally wouldn't pay more than $2500. Also, the one thing I would absolutely, positively check is the last time the previous owner had the timing belt changed. Nissan required a 60,000 mile timing belt change for that engine...and the price can range from $350 to $650 to do that work. If that timing belt is old and breaks while your son is driving it (particularly highway speeds), then you'll spend >$1000 to get the engine rebuilt. So that's a definate must!

If the car needs a timing belt soon, then I would deduct that from the price too. Goodluck!

Drex

PS: Better yet, you may want to have a mechanic look it over before you buy (check the transmission, brakes, engine, etc, etc, etc)...if you're buying from a stranger.

• dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    My 01 SE Max also had the smell, I live in So. Cal. and do use the A/C in the winter. The dealer fixed the problem the first time and I do think they cleaned out the Evap. system. I have the Bose and don't like it, my sub rattles, have to bring it back for that, and it is tiring to play at loud volume, the radio reception stinks. The window antenna is horrible in comparision to the electric antenna on my 91 and 95 Max's with Bose.
    I rode in a 98 with the Bose and it sounded great, very natural. The new Bose is not Bi-amped like the old ones and it clips when you turn it up. The AM reception sucks too..the antenna thing again. Otherwise a typical Max...Great Car, fast and fun.
    My takes....Reaction???

Duke
  • bdlfebdlfe Member Posts: 21
    $3500 is a lot for the car, unless they have some serious modifications. If it is a regular run of the mill Maxima, sorry to say the depreciation is worst then the Camry or Accord, I would only pay in the $1000-$2000 range. Some used price guides quote prices in the $4000 range. However, in these guides there is negligible difference in the price between 100,000 miles ($4,300) and 200,000 miles ($4,100). Unless you are completely certain of the condition, I'd go find other Maxima's for sale with less miles. Or the price needs to drop some. Good luck.
  • ssn66ssn66 Member Posts: 6
    I'm in the market for a new 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed. I contacted a local dealer and they found a Maxima with the following options:

SUPER BLACK SE
    6-SPEED
    Helical Limited Slip Differential
    Meridian Package
    CHARCOAL(BLACK) LEATHER PACKAGE
    BOSE STEREO
    FLOOR MATS,
    SIDE AIRBAGS WITH HEAD CURTAINS,
    AND A POWER SUNROOF

They offered a price of $27,458 (destination charge included in price)

What do you think of this offer??

Sean
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    What do you mean Nissans are only good for 200,000 miles. I guy I work with traded in a 1989 Z with 265,000 trouble free miles!!
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    I finally bought a Grey Lustre with charcloal interior '02 GLE yesterday. And the car looks awesome. Unlike some peoples complaints here, i think the premium stereo sounds awesome. A little too basy, but still top-notch.
    Just a piece of advice:
    I see people here and at Fresh alloy quoting prices paid for Maximas that seem kinda high to me. Heres what i paid for my GLE (base GLE with only the spoiler, floor mats, and mud guards) in the DC area.
    $25,500 - $1000 rebate = $24,500 before TTL
    With TTL = $25,865 (out the door)!! Basically i paid 200 below invoice before TTL. The dealer was more than willing to give me a cut of the holdback without much haggling! So make sure you bargain hard. Tell them Maxima sales are down 25%.

Before i go for now, thanks again for all the veterans here for all their answers and inputs.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I've had a 2000 SE Bose and now a 2002 SE with Bose. I think the stereo sounds great in both vehicles, but I mostly listen to CD, not radio. I am not a high end audiophile (I hope that means what I think it means), but am a serious listener of diverse, loud music. I hear no rattling, clipping or boominess.

As for price, I think it best to do your homework and get the invoice price from edmunds. I paid $300 over invoice (invoice included a $460 marketing fee) and I could have gotten straight invoice price from another, less desirable dealer. So my opinion is within $300 of invoice is a good price (NOT INCLUDING the rebate, the $1000 rebate should get you well below invoice, but I took the .9% financing instead of the rebate). If you can negotiate better, then great, but always use invoice as your baseline to avoid the confusion that salesmen use to their advantage.
  • clevelawclevelaw Member Posts: 3
    I am also a first time poster - However, I used plenty of the advice I received here to secure my 2002 GLE (Gray Lustre/Black) in November. However, I must report that my sub also "rattles" - more so when listening to talk, but also certain music. It is driving me crazy, but my dealer (N.E.Ohio) said nothing is wrong. This is my first "premium" stereo and first with a sub, but this cannot be normal.

Has anyone had success in finding out what the problem is/having it fixed?
  • lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    >> They offered a price of $27,458 (destination charge included in price)
    >> What do you think of this offer??

Looks pretty good when compared to dealer invoice. But instead of that, how does $23,000 sound? That's what it would sell for in Canada at the best dealers. Go up there and get one. I know I post on this alot, but if you are anywhere close to Toronto or Vancouver you can get that price. Real easy to do - over 60 of us have done it. As usual I'm glad to help out anyone. Just write.
    -Jon
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    hey jon,

can you email me with the details of buying in canada? one of my friends would love to buy one up in toronto..

thanks, kyle

kyleknicks@aol.com
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Just out of curiosity,why do cars sell for alot less in canada?
  • rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    I'm also in the market for a 2002 GLE in the Washington DC area. Where did you get that quote from? I've had many a dealer say they would not touch the "dealers holdback for any reason." I know the $1000 rebate ends today, but I've heard from others that they usually extend it (it might be a dealership thing) for the first few days of the following month to close out deals. Thanks!
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    I am surprised you did not listen to the radio on your selected Max before you bought it ;-) Most of us here are quite happy with its radio - be it non-Bose or Bose.

Did you try to claim it as a warranty problem? You might be in for a radio fix, cost free.
    kyleknicks. Will send off info today.

otoluva, there are multiple influences on why most cars are so much less in Canada right now, but the main reason is the exchange rate. The US dollar just keeps getting stronger. The Canadian dollar is now only worth 63 cents US. Years and years ago they were about the same and even just as recently as '98 it was 71 cents. The Canadians are not making any more money, so no one can just raise prices. But our US money goes a lot further. Not just on cars, but everything. Canada is a great vacation bargin right now. And you'll meet lots of friendly people.

rwclifton, I'll add your name in here too. I know of at least 7 or 8 people from the DC area who've gone to Toronto. A quick flight up; short drive back. Loaded GLE for $3900 under US dealer invoice (about $22,700).

-Jon
  • kbm13kbm13 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 02 SE for one week and it's great.
    I paid $500 below invoice and got the $1000 rebate
    in S.Cal. I got the sunroof, splash guards. floor mats and auto.
    I got mine at tischer Nissan in Laurel.
    The 1000 rebate is gone - but there's still a $500 rebate. If you get a Maxima from IN STOCK(i.e. they have it in the lot and don't have to get it from a different dealer), they should be willing to go upto $600 below invoice. Don't tell them that you want a cut of the holdback - simply say that you will only pay $600 below invoice. Don't forget to include the rebate, destination price, and the advertising fee.
    Good luck!
  • guiduanguiduan Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I have had my 02 SE for about one week. Everything is great except that there is a clicking noise once I release the brake padel. Is it normal? What is the problem? It will be greatly appreciated if someone can help me. Thanks.
  • j5575j5575 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jon,

I am interested in buying a car in Canada also. Could you please send me the details too?

J5574@AOL.COM

Thanks,
    John
  • wittb2000wittb2000 Member Posts: 6
  • wittb2000wittb2000 Member Posts: 6
    On the 95 Maxima Automatic Temp Control unit does the ligts like where it says auto, econ, mode, ect. do those light up when you turn on the dash lights or is this just a minor detail nissan forgot to add to the car. It just seems strange that a car of this many options would not light up the heater controls. Just curious.
    Thanks
    -Witt
    John,
    Be glad to help out. I've customized the info I've written for provinces since each has slightly differing sales tax situations. Write me and let me know where you live or at least where you might go in Canada. Toronto and Vancouver are the best for prices and selection. I can probably also give a good contact or two to try.
    -Jon
    jonlofquist@aol.com
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Kinetic energy has nothing to do with acceleration. It has more to do with how much damage there will be if a moving object crashes into somthing.

Acceleration is a product of twisting force (torque). If you want to tie it with some energy - it is a product of potential energy of exploding gasoline/air mix.

In an ideal world (no air, perfect traction, constant output of power by engine), it would take the same time to accelerate from 0-30 as from 60-90
    and this has what to do with Maximas? Please...don't stir up the discussion on 0-60 speeds!...lol
  • gerry18gerry18 Member Posts: 39
    Sorry for not including your entire post. I thought I was providing a simple way to compare acceleration times to various speeds for reasonableness. I had no intent to offend but obviously failed.

The Maxima was on my short list when I was car shopping last fall and I still enjoy following it. Please forgive my intrusion.
  • markg11markg11 Member Posts: 5
    If anyone else is having paint chipping problems on their 2000-2002 Maxima,as I and many other 5th generation Maxima owners are, there may be help out there for us. I am a member of www.maxima.org and have found a website for Maxima owners to register their paint problem complaints; the site is www.nissanpaint.com.This site is NOT a Nissan owned site it was started by a Maxima owner that is experiencing severe paint chipping and just got fed up with the problem. If there are enough complaints filed by Maxima owners maybe Nissan will provide repairs or reimbursement for paint problems that owners have paid for themselves.
    There are obviously no guarantee that Nissan will admit to this problem but if the consumer yells loud enough someone is bound to hear!! There is strength in numbers so if you are disgusted with an expensive car built by a manufacturer that makes claims about quality and reliability visit the site and fill out the form.
    My dealer mentioned that i shouldn't put home recorded(burned) CD's into all six slots of the '02 in-dash cd-changer. It will get jammed and will be costly to get it out. Playing in just 1 or 2 slots is ok.
    He mentioned the reason they get stuck is that real audio CD's you buy from the store is thin, as opposed to CD's(CD-R's) that you burn copies on which are thick - thus the reason they jam the cd player. I checked the thickness of both at home, and to me they looked both the same. He recommended that if burning CD's, look for blank CD's with the "audio CD" label on the cover, not "recordable CD's"
    Can someone tell me if he's right or not - and what the difference is between "audio" and "recordable" CD's. Thanks.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How good is the VQ30DE (3.0-liter) 24-valve V-6 engine when it comes to overall reliability and durability?
  • volmaxvolmax Member Posts: 8
    I just purchased a 2002 SE and when I went to fill it up with gas, I noticed dirt around the filler cap. I think I remember a discussion here in the past about a cover missing from the gas tank filler tube that allows dirt to get into this area. Nissan is apparently not installing this cover on 2000 - 2002 models. Does anyone remember the details of this disscussion? Does anyone know the part number for this filler tube cover?
  • ssn66ssn66 Member Posts: 6
    I don't know, that sounds fishy to me. I do know the paper sticker labels you can make and apply to burned cd's can shrink and get all wrinkled, causing the cd to get stuck. All of the CDR's I burned and labelled that I kept in my car got all wrinkled. I think it had to do with the large temperature and moisture variation that occurs in the car (I keep my car outside sometimes). So far I haven't had any problems with my CDRs in my system (knock on wood)
  • gerry18gerry18 Member Posts: 39
    True. Current VVT engines have relatively flat torque curves over fairly broad RPM ranges, which supports your point for acceleration while in a given overall gear ratio. But did you consider that torque delivered at the axle/wheel will vary with each shift? (no response required)
  • p_g_00p_g_00 Member Posts: 34
    Audio CD-R is 80 min/700 MB one while recordable is 74 min/650 MB, there're no difference other than that. You can definitely use 74min CD to record music. I dont think CD-R is thicker than CD, but I am not sure.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I've heard that the Infiniti I30 has a very large turning circle, about 44 feet. Is this also true of the Maxima?
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Expect something more like 40 feet.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    From their 11/01 comparison test using an I-35 with Sport Pkg & the bigger P225/50R17 Bridestone Potenza RE92, the turning circle is listed as 40.0 feet. The range for the other four cars tested was 35.3 (MB C320 w/P205/55HR16s) and 36.1 (Lexus ES300 w/P215/60VR16s). The Jag X-type at 35.7 feet and the Volvo S60 2.4T at 35.4 feet.

Would be interesting to see the turning circles for the non-Sport Maximas/I-35s that use smaller tires.
    Actually, i checked labels on both CD's that are 80min/700MB and 74min/650MB. Neither of them have the label "audio" anywhere on the CD. They both explicitly say "recordable". Thus, i still can't figure out the difference between the two, in terms of thickness.
    Question is can i load all six of the slots of teh in-dash cd player with audio/recordable CD-R's and not get jammed. Have others done this w/out problems.
  • storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    I've seen the figure of 35.4 for the GXE Max.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    yep, that's why I wrote "in an ideal world" (no gears, no air resistance, perfect traction)
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The basic difference is that there is a special code embedded in audio blanks that allows them to be used in standalone CD burners. Data CDR blanks don't have this code and thus can only be used in computer burners. There's no difference in thickness or quality between the two.

Look here for a more thorough explanation:

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq07.html#S7-17

• sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    volmax,

I am glad to try and help - I followed the missing shield discussion and noted the following part numbers:

NI17290-2Y000 PROTECTOR-FILLE
    NI01553-09321 CLIP (need four)

I haven't ordered these yet, so I am not absolutely sure if the numbers are correct. It is very likely they are correct, though, as they came from different sources.

I will have to remember to order the shield before my next visit to the dealer - I always forget!

I wouldn't put the gas cap in its holder while refueling - the holder is always full of sand/dirt. I always put the cap on top of the trunk.

Hope this helps.
  • remykinsremykins Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 02 SE about a month ago. I have about 1600 miles on it and the best gas milage I can seem to get is 22 MPG on the highway. I average about 20MPG each tank. I do a mix of driving and I dont romp on the gas. Even with the cruise set at 65 the milage does not improve. I have the 6 speed and try not to really get on it in any gear. Is anyone else having this problem? I realize that I may not hit the estimates but this still seems very low to me.
  • volmaxvolmax Member Posts: 8
    sgrd0q,

Thanks for the help. I will get the dealer to order the parts and get them installed.
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    re: VQ30DE The maxima has a number of issues but the engine is not one of them. One common problem I have seen over (read about) the last few years is the rear 02 sensor failing. More recently (00-01) have had auto tranny problems reported. But the engine itself (for the last 6-7 years) has been very reliable.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    remykins,

As I recall from my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed, the gas milage didn't improve to its full potential until after the first oil change - which I did at about 2,000 miles. My early highway milage was in the low to mid 20's, and ultimately improved to 26-28 depending upon speed and temperature. January isn't the best month to test fuel efficiency, either.

I have a 3 month old S2000 that, at 1,700 miles, is starting to feel noticably stronger in acceleration. Perhaps the newer engines just take a bit longer to achieve their full potential.

Couple of suggestions: check the level and condition of your oil frequently. I have a friend who just bought an E320 and he burned through two quarts in the first 2,000 miles. Also, even though the owner's manual says its OK after 1,000 miles, I wouldn't use cruise control for extended trips until after 2,000. Last, change your oil at 2,000 miles. My guess is that you will see an improvement in the next month or so.

However, I do find it a little difficult to believe that the 3.5 liter 255-hp engine is rated about the same as my 1995 3.0 liter 190 hp engine on a 200+ lb lighter car. I have averaged 24.1 mpg over 120,000 miles; I suspect you will average 1-2 mpg less.
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    I too went thru this fiasco....sgrd0q and volmax.......guys...NISSAN WILL NOT PAY FOR THOSE PARTS ...THEY WILL NOT COVER IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE...you will pay out of your own pocket..they supposedly did something else to the car like undercoating to save on parts and money according to my dealer...I was pissed...Joe D.
    Have had an auto 2002 GLE for 4 months now (3200 miles, no oil change yet) - consistently get 27+ mpg.....