Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    jdimotta ,

Never say NEVER! ;)

Members on Maxima.org got Nissan to pay for it so I guess it depends on your dealers service.
  • albatros43albatros43 Member Posts: 36
    My maxima only has a single CD, but I noticed a problem with a CD-R only one time. The particular CD was one my girlfriend made me that had one of those customizable labels on top. It doesn't seem like that would increase the thickness that much, but that CD would skip at almost every tiny bump and almost wouldn't eject from the player. My guess is that if you place these labels on the CDs yourself, you will have problems. Otherwise, I don't think the thickness if any different from a regular CD. My guess is the salesman that didn't want you to use the CD-Rs is anti-napster or anti-morpheus :-)!
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Actually the manual for the Maxima specifically cautions against using CD-R's and CD-RW's. According to the manual, the cd player may malfunction if playing CD-R's or CD-RW's.
    Can't figure out why, though...
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    how was is that possible when all are supposed to follow the same rules....was this done in the U.s. or Cananda...I was tod cant be done unless paid for.....thanks...Joe D.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know you shouldn't use labeled CDs in any car player. They will get stuck in there if you do. The manual should say that, mine does (but I have a Jetta, not a Maxima). I don't understand why you can't play CDRs though. Even my $12K Mazda Protege's CD player would play CDRs. Makes no sense.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I've played unlabeled CDRs in the 6-disc changer in my Altima. No problems at all. My manual also says not to use them, but I think it's more for liability reasons than for anything else. If you put in a CDR with a label and it gets stuck, Nissan does not want to pay to replace it.
    Does it say not to use any discs with labels on the disc itself? I was just curious, because I find alot of cars' manuals that come with CD players say that in them.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    It does say not to use "CDs with a paper label." Guess it's been a problem in the past or something.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    The problem could be with the brand of the CD player, not Nissan.

Stand-alone recorders (non-computer) require CD-Rs that are "digital audio," as opposed to the "regular" data CD-R blanks, which may say "recordable" or "music," but no indication of it being "digital audio." Commercially-produced CDs are "digital audio."

Once the CD-R is "finalized," it can be played in virtually all current CD players. That is, a "digital audio" CD can be played in a computer CD-ROM reader and copied to a data CD-R. Likewise, a data CD-R will play in the playback CD-drive of a stand-alone recorder and copied to a "digital-audio" blank.

I use a TEAC stand-alone unit to create CDs from analog sources such as vinyl and tapes, then use the "masters" on the computer burners to make copies at 4x or 8x, as opposed to 2x on the stand-alone. The data discs are also less expensive than the "digital audio" CD-Rs.

I purchased a DVD Pioneer Karaoke unit and made sure that it would playback CD-Rs. A previous SONY DVD player I bought did not.

The CD unit in my car is a trunk-mounted 6-disc Motorola changer. I have never had any problems with my CD-Rs getting jammed or not playing, with or without the labels. Poor adhesion of the labels can be a potential problem for ALL CD units, not just car players. Of course, that problem could be solved by using the unit that prints labels directly on the disc, but that machine currently costs around $4000! I wonder how many CDs you'd have to produce to amortize that expense.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I don't know. I have had my 2K2 SE (auto) model since August and I get GREAT mileage on the freeway. I just started a new job (52 miles total distance a day) and I swear in the first 2 days, my gas guage hasn't really moved. It went down a bit, but not a lot. I am guessing I am getting about 27 miles on the freeway.

The guage DOES move however when I get off the freeway, so I am only getting about 16 on regular streets.

So far so good! I'll let you know how many miles I put on this tank of gas
  • montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    Obiwankenobi1 the Maxima from 95 to current the gas guages are designed not to move much for the first 60-75 miles. Once they gte beyond the 3/4 full spot the gas hand really moves down quickly.
  • nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    Hi,
    I just found out my front left tire has bubble on side, and lightly scratch on my wheel. Only thing I could remember was hitting pot hole really hard last week. It only has less than 20000 miles. It's OEM Michelline which is pretty expensive to replace. Since I am looking forward to change all tires at once later, can I just but different brand tire to replace this one first? It seems pretty dangerous to drive because car shakes at 80MPH. Anyway, please give me some feedback regarding to this matter. Thanks in advance.
  • wittb2000wittb2000 Member Posts: 6
    Does anybody know if the lights on the Automatic heater control light up when you turn on your headlight or parking lights. The stero does but the heater lights don't. This is really driving me crazy. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
    Thank you,
    Witt-
    Sorry I forgot to tell you that it is on a 1995 Maxima Se. Thanks Witt-
  • albatros43albatros43 Member Posts: 36
    My guess is the Maxima gets pretty good gas mileage. I have a 2001 SE automatic that has been getting approx 22-23 MPG in Atlanta traffic. I have a roundtrip commute of 56 miles, and those 56 miles probably take me close to 2 hours everyday. I have yet to take it on a roadtrip, but am guessing it would get 25 MPG + easily. I have used premium exclusively in my Max, as I've read that using a lower octane gas will not harm the engine, but will ultimately reduce the miles per gallon you get - essentially making the money you save on lower octane a wash. Perhaps your 2002 is just breaking in, or you haven't been using 93-93 octane?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I have a 95 Maxima GLE with the automatic HVAC system and a 2000 SE with the same automatic HVAC system.

The SE is my daily driver but if memory serves me correctly, the lights on the HVAC unit in the 95 only come on when the HVAC unit is on, not just because the car's headlights or parking lights are on.

I'm sure that is how the 2000 SE's system works. I think the systems displays from the two years are very similar while the controls are different.

I'll have to take a look when I get home tonight and will post again if what I've said here is wrong.
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    I'd change BOTH front tires. It should be ok to use different brand as well for the two new tires or good used tires. However, you might want to see if the problem still persist. If it does continue then something else besides your tire might be damaged....
    I got into a 2002 Maxima GLE at the car show in Baltimore last night. There were 2 switches on the left side of the dashboard, pretty low dow. One of them have an icon on it in the shape of a seat. The other has an icon the shape of a steering wheel. What do these buttons do? It's bugging me now, and I would like to know. Thanks. :)
  • p_g_00p_g_00 Member Posts: 34
    Seat memory.
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    The one with the seat activates the auto seat feature. When you turn the car off the seat goes to the rear to facilitate egress. The button with the wheel activates the heated steering wheel.
  • guardenerguardener Member Posts: 6
    I'm ready for replacement tires on my 97 SE. Any experiences or ideas? The present OE tires are Toyo. All-weather type is not necessary since I use 4 snows in winter. Thank you in advance.
  • montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    Guardener I have 02SE and a 97Se and had to replace the tires on it after 49,000 miles. I went with Continental 215,55's and i love them, cheaper and better than the Good Year RSA's it came with. Go to Discount Tire if ou have one near you.
    Sorry I must have not explained my problem very well. I am talking about the lights that say Auto, Econ, Mode, Off, and the two arrows for colder or hotter. The part of the Console that looks like ink is printed on them but it is actually (I think) supposed to light up at night so you can see the display and not have to guess your way around the controls. If you have any further information on this please let me know.
    Thank you again
    Witt-
  • phishockeyphishockey Member Posts: 24
    Hello all...I'm thinking of getting a 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed. Anyone care to voice their experiences, both good and bad, about this car? Has anyone had problems with the gearbox or clutch? Thanks.

Brett
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    gkatz1 is correct about the 2 buttons on the dash being heated steering wheel and the on/off for the auto-seat that moves all the way back when you turn off the car. The 3 seat memory buttons are on the door. Any Ideas; I'm curious as to why my 6 speed did not come with the auto-seat enabled. The brochure clearly says that this is an automatic only option so I knew I wasn't getting it, just curious; Is it a safety reason? Can it be enabled somehow?

Phishockey;I only have 600 miles on my 6-speed SE, but it's doing just fine and is a great car if you are looking for performance, luxury and size all in one.
  • maq4463maq4463 Member Posts: 45
    I am planning on buying either GXE or SE max around May/June(extremely tight on budget but have 2 have a max). I read on the carsdirect.com that $1000 rebate has been exteded till Feb 28. I have couple of questions.

-What is the official due date for 03 max?
    -Does anyone recall from last year whether Nissan offered 0.9 financing for 60m WITH $1000 cash? Are there strong chances that it would happen this year too.
    -What are the prices people are paying right now for SE ($200-300 under invoice + $1000 rebate??)
    -What should I realistically expect to pay for a base SE since its a closeout year.

Any thoughts are welcome. I am plannign to buy one after the 03 comes out. Can easily afford Altima 2.5S but don't like it. I am buying house and am on strict financial budget. Right now I am driving 90 Accord with 180K, spent lot of money on it last year but its time to move on. Max with all the above stated deals would be just in my comfort zone. Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    First the GXE is hard to come by (Nissan only makes 5% of the Maxima GXE). And the base SE, too. Most of the SE I saw is not base (have BOSE system, sunroof deflector, and body color mug guard). At least this is what I observe in S. Cal. Price wise would be around $600 below invoice.

Good Luck.
  • jolarjolar Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I just bought an SE 6 in Jan. The gearbox/clutch ROCKS! This car really pulls, and shifts nicer than the 3.5 Altima 5spd (Which is what I went to look at) I have no complaints so far, 1300 miles. Hey gg2k2se, I noticed the auto seat issue too, can't get an answer. It doesn't retract automatically when shut off right? Also, do you have the Bose stereo? What do you think of it?
  • rodhewittrodhewitt Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone. I am considering buying a Maxima to replace my 94 SE with 198K on it. I am trying to decide between a new 2002, or a used '00/'01 or even a '99 to save money. I am aware of the spec differences between the different generations, but has anybody driven all three who can describe the differences in feel, power, stereo quality etc. Any help would be appreciated.
    jolar, yes I got the Bose in-dash 6 and think it's great. I like everything about the car. It doesn't shift quite as well as my 95 Honda but is still pretty good.

rodhewitt; I actually did a financially silly thing by selling my 2000 SE and getting a 2002. However, I liked all the stuff they've added and the .9% financing sold me. The new stuff in the 2002 over a 2000 that I found worthwhile are 255 hp, 6 speed, HID headlights, 6 disc indash, 2nd generation airbags, active headrests, seat memory, front-end styling. I know the 2001 has some of these, but the performance and luxury is worth checking out.

gg
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    I believe the seats only retract if you have an automatic not a manual.
  • zexxeyzexxey Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone bought or test drove the 02 six speed with the new LSD option?
    Your thoughts are appreciated
  • jolarjolar Member Posts: 17
    zexxey - My 2002 SE 6spd has the LSD option, I drove both, but didn't get on it enough to be able to tell any difference, it will probably help ME out more in the winter.

What will LSD do for you in normal driving conditions? Traction mostly?
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    March 2002 issue of Car & Driver has a small preview of the 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S with 6-speed manual and LSD. Has a nice comment about what the new helical LSD does: "mechanical, using gears to apportion torque and thus reduce wheelspin. A [LSD] evens out power delivery in any car, but its particularly helpful in front-drivers. Here's why: Since the front tires serve dual roles--steering and power transfer--it doesn't take much for the inside front to overcome adhesion and start spinning, particularly during the pronounced weight transfer that goes with hard cornering." Goes on to discuss how it cures wheelspin and how bad wheelspin is when accelerating and cornering.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Anticipating a trade of my 2k SE on a 2002 or 2003
    model possibly later this year, I sent an email
    inquiry to Nissan asking if they have any info they
    could release to me about the 2003 model to assist
    me in a buying decision.

I received a response 3 days later which served to
    refer me to "nissannews.com or nissandriven.com
    which sites are totally devoid of any info re the
    2003 model. In typical fashion, Nissan is remaining
    tightlipped about the 2003 Maxima!!!

berbel
    go to freshalloy.com and you'll find the 03 Max. info you need.
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    Rather than go for a used Maxima, go for the new 2002. It’s much improved. I just got a 2002 Maxima GLE, sterling mist, automatic and I love it.

Maxima refinements for 2002:

More aggressive grille and front fascia, high-intensity discharge xenon headlights (which make it look like daytime at night!), side-sill spoilers, UV-reducing solar glass, new chrome-rimmed taillights, revised badging, new 16- and 17-inch wheels, and dual chrome exhaust tips on some models.

There's also a different interior look, with seat designs meant to be more supportive, titanium-colored door handles and gated automatic transmission shifter, redesigned audio system faceplates, a new gauge package, and a steering-wheel controlled multi-function trip computer with outside temperature display.

Optional six-speed manual shifter, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution, heated seats and steering wheel, and optional navigation system.

Microfilter ventilation system for the climate control system with a reusable and washable filter, a multi-position slide sunroof switch, power driver's seat with memory function and entry/exit feature, and an upgraded audio system.

And, of course, the 3.5-litre DOHC V6. Enlarged from 3.0 L, the 24-valve V6 now supplies 255 hp and 246 lb-ft of torque. Those are increases of 33 and 29, respectively, and they provide better launch since Maxima's weight hasn't changed that much. Besides the increased engine displacement, other enhancements made to the engine include a silent timing chain and an electronically controlled throttle.

The multi-link beam suspension was refined for 2002 through the use of thicker front and rear stabilizer bars, the adoption of larger and softer trailing link bushings, and the relocation of the system's unique lateral link to behind the rear beam.

Brake system upgrades for 2002 include two advanced systems: electronic brake-force distribution, which optimizes braking force depending on passenger and cargo load; and brake assist, which ensures maximum braking capacity is utilized to aid in hard or panic braking situations.

Initially, the Maxima doesn't look like a big car, but with nearly 192 inches long and over 70 inches wide, its dimensions are almost identical to the Mercedes Benz E Class. Plus, the Maxima has more front head room and more front leg room than the Cadillac DeVille.

Whew! ‘Nuff said? Go with the 2002 Maxima. To sweeten the pot, Nissan is offering $1000 cash back or 3.9% financing through 3/04/02.
    Hey....

Thanks for the referral to freshalloy.com. I haven't gone there yet so thanks in advance!!

berbel
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    but I didn't find any info on the 03 Maxima.

Any clue how to find info at the site? I tried searching for "2003 Nissan Maxima" but nothing came up.

Help!
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    You have to look in the forums. But don't expect anything concrete. Nothing in there that I haven't heard on numerous other boards.
  • snugglezsnugglez Member Posts: 8
    Can the LSD option be added on by the dealer?

ez
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    snugglez... Best way to get LSD is from manufacturer thru dealer at time of original purchase. :)

Guessin' best and only way to get, while still under full factory warranty and without impacting factory warranty, is as an original option direct from factory with the car. Thinkin' almost anything can be added to a car if you have the time and money, but best way would be to buy as original equipment at time of purchase thru dealer. If you want it and they don't have it, try to do inter-dealer locate or instead of buying something of lot, order car w/LSD from factory.
    When you are at freshalloy.com click on cars and click on "Nissan/Infiniti Model Matrix". It'll gives you some info. on the 03 Maxima.
  • lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    The 03 Maxima will be built in Smyrna TN on the Altima platform. Expect a gussied up Altima with a decent interior.
    Wow, it sounds like radarlove must write brochures for a living.

But I agree, I created a list of 20-30 items that the 2002 had over the 2000 in order to justify the upgrade with my loving but German wife. I liked the HP, 6 speed, 6 disc changer, she liked the heated steering wheel cause her hands go white with cold; so I used that to my advantage. However, now she wants to drive it when it's cold so it backfired on me a little. I took the .9% financing and paid about $400 over invoice for a hard to locate 6 speed in Tungsten.

We had both always driven manuals, but bought a 2000 automatic since the 2000 5 speed didn't shift very well. But the new 6 speed shifts much better and we both enjoy going back to a shifting model.

gg
  • rodhewittrodhewitt Member Posts: 5
    thanks for your detailed info. I've been leaning towards an '02 for a while but I've always bought used before (too sensible I guess). I think you guys may have convinced me to buy a new car. Now if I can just decide on a color. By the way you said you bought a sterling mist GLE. Did you get the frost interior, or the black? Thanks again.
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    gg2kse:
    yes, I do write brochures for a living (and ads), but most of my last post actually came from two sources, an article in a Toronto newspaper and another car reviewer.

rodhewitt:
    I got the black leather interior. Looks great.
    After some searching, finally clicked on "model
    matrix" @ freshalloy and found very limited info.
    It serves only to "whet the appetite" and was far
    insufficient to make any buying decision of 2002
    vs. 2003 models. Apparently, we consumers will sim-
    ply have to play the "waiting game" until Nissan
    is good and ready to release more detailed info
    about its flagship model for 2003!!

Thanks again, tgif

berbel
  • sdawson713sdawson713 Member Posts: 34
    The new Maxima production will begin in the spring of 2003. It will be a 2004 model.

The 2003 model will be the same one on sale now.

At the Altima training we had for salesmen in September, the gentleman from Nissan hinted at a V8 and a full size platform. Apparently, it will be based on the new Altima as far as style. It will be more upscale in features...they want it to compete against Avalon, 3.2 TL, etc.

Thats all I know.

Sid