Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    Try this site you should be able to get a factory wheel at a discount price.

http://www.ackerwheel.com/
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Just test drove a 2002 Maxima 6 speed. Overall the car was fun to drive, but I did notice you had to get the clutch a bit off the floor before it would engage -something I am not use to in my 97 Integra GSR. My question is regarding the fuel starvation problem that has been reported to occur on 2000 (2001?) model year manual transmission vehicles. Is the fuel starvation problem an issue on the 2002 models? During my test drive, I noticed a momentary hesitation in the car's willingness to speed up while giving the car moderate to heavy throttle. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this related to the fuel starvation problem?

Those of you who own 2002 manual transmission cars, are you happy with them overall?
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Does anyone know how long Nissan has offered a rebate on the Maxima and will it continue past this month? Carsdirect is currently showing a $1,000 rebate through 2/28/02
  • max2001max2001 Member Posts: 63
    I think you are talking about the fuel cut issue - sorry I don't know if it exists on th 02. But the momentary hestitation is not associated to the fuel cut. That is due the fact that the 02s have the computer control the throttle (no more wires like the 00-01s) so the momentary hestitation is the signal being sent from TPS to the open the throttle. It's a side effect of the electronic throttle.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    ...better yet, buy a rim from a junked maxima. A totaled 2002 SE may be hard to find, but you may be able to get a rim from a 2000 or 2001.

Or you could go to www.tirerack.com and buy a whole set of rims for <$1,000. I agree that the dealers are a rip-off.

habitat:

You could make the same argument about the current BMW M3 (333 HP) versus the previous generation M3 (240 HP). All those extra ponies (93 if my math is correct) gets you to 60 mph, in what? 0.2 secs faster (4.7 vs 4.9)? Big whup. The torque rating plays a larger role in 0-60 sprints anyway. But I agree that we can get caught up in HP ratings.
  • montmaxmontmax Member Posts: 32
    You might be able to get the rim from a 2000-2001, but remember the rims are slightly different. The 2002 doesnt have the center cap and the spokes are slightly different. Personally I wish when I got my 2k2 SE that I could have swapped with someone for the 2k2 I35 rims they are sweet.
  • lindendragonlindendragon Member Posts: 1
    JUST PURCHASED TODAY, FEB. 21. MSRP WAS $29745.OO
    HAS BOSE SYSTEM, LEATHER PACKAGE, SUNROOF, MATS, SPLASH GUARDS, DEFLECTOR. PAID $26475.OO. HOW DOES THIS COMPARE TO WHAT OTHERS ARE PAYING? I FEEL LIKE I GOT A GOOD DEAL.
  • anthonycanthonyc Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for all the suggestion. I think will call up a couple of wrecking yards to see if I can find a 2002 17" wheel from a wrecked Maxima. I found a 2001 17" wheel on ebay forsale. Also, I will try ackerwheel.com

Does anyone know if there are any dealers parts department will sell the wheel at a discount? When I used to own Audis our internet listserve group has an arrangement with a dealer in California and a dealer on the East Coast who will sell us parts at 10% over their cost. It worked out real well.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    There are two parts departments I know off that offer discounts to Nissan owners, though not specifically to Maxima owners.

The first is Courtesy Nissan (www.courtesyparts.com). Call them and tell them you are a member of the SE-R Mailing list, and they should give you 25% off.

Mossy Nissan in CA gives discounts to Altimas.net members, but I'm not sure how much. Look at this thread for details:

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19725
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I forgot that the rims on the 2002 SE are slightly different than the 2000/2001 SE. However if all you want is a spare, than finding a rim from a junked 2000 or 2001 may be the ticket. I bought a full sized rim for my max and paid <$100 (including the tire). So it depends on what you want.

I would call a Nissan dealer to make sure that a 2000/2001 SE rim fits a 2002 (I'm almost sure it will because I don't think that the bolt pattern, off-set, etc has changed). Then again, maybe you'll get lucky and find a junked 2002.

Goodluck.

montmax:

tirerack.com has some sweet rims if you want to look different. I bought a set about a year ago along with some performance tires. They mount and balance the tires and ship the package to your door (or to a garage for install). Very easy.

I've noticed very little difference in the ride except when the road has numerous ripples. I've kept the old set for the winter (snow, ice, and road salt). That would be cheaper than buying a new set from a Nissan or Infiniti dealer (>$2000).

You might want to browse their site.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    ..about torque being as important as horsepower in 0-60. But even those numbers appear inflated by some manufacturers.

As for your BMW comparison, I was seriously considering an M3 3 years ago and again in November, before I got my S2000. I was able to test drive both the 1999 (240 hp / 236 lb ft) model and the 2001 (333/269) model. For me, the difference in power felt significant, albeit most noticable at speeds of 50-70+. I had thought the 1999 model was rated at 5.5 from 0-60 (by BMW), compared to 4.8 for the 2001 model. In any event, I do know the difference between a 190hp 1995 Maxima 5-speed and a 255hp 2002 6-speed is marginal at best.

I am a big fan of Nissan. Every time I drive my S2000, I acknowledge that it wouldn't be possible if my 1995 Maxima had died at 120k miles like a lot of less solidly built cars do. However, I give credit to BMW for significantly improving the performance of the cars accross almost all lines from 1995 to 2002. Look at the difference between a 1995 325i (189 hp) and a 2002 330i (225 hp) and you will find vastly improved performance. Nissan has been a little too pre-occupied with "marketing" a higher performance Maxima without delivering it to the same degree as BMW, IMHO. Not that the Honda Accord or Toyota Camry are any better.
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    unless they start publishing the hp measured at the wheels.
  • stevie_maxstevie_max Member Posts: 1
    I just have about 300 miles on my new GLE and I LOVE it!! I want to use synthetic oil in it, everyone please give me advice on the best oil to use; Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol SynTec, etc. Also what brand of filter. I have always used Fram in the past on other cars.
  • txcarbuyertxcarbuyer Member Posts: 19
    I recommend Mobil 1 5W30
  • monkstermannmonkstermann Member Posts: 27
    Almost any synthetic is better than Dinosaur juice. But I like Royal Purple. Not as famous as the others but give a gander at their web site testimonials. Also Warren Johnson uses it in his Pro Stock car (as of 2001 at least) don't know about this year. Ck it out and make your decision.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    I have my new Max Since December. My old vehicle was a mini-van. You can imagine they ride very differantly. I have noticed that if I am at a stop sign, or coming out of a parking lot, and I push the gas pedal with much the same pressure I am used to from my minivan, that I hear a loud screaching noise, followed by lots of smoke and the smell of burning rubber. does anyone else have this problem. Man I love my new Maxima. Get outta my way!!!
  • kd6aw1kd6aw1 Member Posts: 116
    Have 45,000 miles on my Toyo tires and it is time for new tires. What would be best? Looking for quiet long lasting tires, weather here in San Diego is dry with no freezing. Have had good luck with Michelin tires in the past on other cars. Any advice would be appreciated.

Paul
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,432
    Tirerack.com is a good place to compare brands. I started looking recently (also have a '99 SE), and am leaning toward the yokohama Avids for all around performance. I live in NJ so reasonable winter capabilities are important, but no real snow use.

supposed to be a very good blend of performance and quiet comfort, at a very attractive price.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

I do not like the Avids. I had a set of them on my Audi before I bought my 2002 SE. I was not sure if it was just my luck or what but I had 3 out of 4 tires that went out of round after only 9,000 miles. At first I thought my wheels were bent but they all checked out fine. Three of them were replaced and just before I traded in my car for the new SE another one went out round again. They also have a tendancy to flat spot after sitting in the garage for a few days. I had the H-rated Avids but I am not sure if the V-rated ones will have the same problem. I don't like the ride on them either. I think the Potenza RE92s on my new SE ride and handle much better than the Avids.
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    I have spare wheels from my 2k2 GLE...email me at pwitzleb@rochester.rr.com if you want to talk more....
  • tr3tr3 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone purchased a GLE in the Greensboro area? I got a price for a loaded model with all the options excluding the Nav system for $27,400 +TTL. The list on the car is $30,241. Has anyone got a better price than that? Thanks
  • rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    I purchased a Sterling Mist W/Black Leather 2002 Maxima GLE loaded with every option except navigation(List - $30,241)in the Washington, DC area for $25,989 +TTL. (It did include the $1000 rebate)-- It was no hassle and I did it over the phone!! One thing I did run into was a lack of GLE's with the color combination and options that I wanted. Good Luck!
    Paul go to Discount Tire and get the Continental Touring tires 215/55/16's I put these on my 97SE and they are better than the stock RSA's it came with. They are reasonable priced as well
  • keithllb1keithllb1 Member Posts: 30
    I feel anthonyc makes a good point about the fact that the Nissan people seem to be pre-occupied with marketing their cars like they're world beaters, I test drove the 2002 Max, and I feel its
    a slightly more bullet proof car than the Camry or Accord with a few more horses, but then I test drove the WRX wagon and man what a ride, I can't afford a Beemer M3 or the S2000, but I'd say for the money you can't beat the WRX as far as performance goes, my question is the Maxima with its options and standard features worth the money,
    now that Nissan is trying to get them out of their lots, before the revised 2003's arrive and
    because the overrated Altimas are selling well?
    The Max is very much worth the money the best bang for your buck (TLS as well) and compare the Altima to the Camry and Accord not the Max. By the way the Max isnt changing for 2003, the new one wil appear in Winter 2003 as a 2004 model according to the March issue of Motor Trend.
    The WRX will out manuever, and out run the Max. If A rocket and or rally car is what you are looking for go for the wrx. I wanted power, speed and COMFORT. I feel I have them all. One will never get the best of everything. The fastest, the most comfort, roominess, handling, etc.... I do feel FOR ME the Max was best choice. It is beutiful inside and out. A pleasure to go out to a nice dinner in it , but just as pleasurable to put the peddle to the floor on a nice wide open winding road. I went nus checking cars (wrx was o my list). BUT I AM EXTREMELY HAPPY I WENT WITH MY MAXIMA GLE. The car looks GReat in sterling mist with black leather interior, sun roof, nice 17' wheels. I have it since early december and LOVE it. Maybe if I was a single guy with no kids I might have given more consideration to the WRX, that and the Acura rsx were sweet.
    Can you hear your engine or exhaust during acceleration between 1200-2000 rpm with your radio off?
  • snadersnader Member Posts: 1
    rwclifton,

If I calculated correctly, without including the $1000 rebate you still paid ~$500 less than invoice for your 2002 GLE. I'm seriously considering the same purchase and I am curious how many others have been able to get a GLE for below invoice?
    Can you hear your engine or exhaust during acceleration between 1200-2000 rpm with your radio off?
  • agentc2agentc2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Max SE with 60K on the clock. Nice car but I'm having a major starting problem. When the engine is cold, it will start but won't run. You must stay on the pedal until the car is warm enough to run on it's own. The car has been tuned up and all filters replaced. My mechanic as well as the dealership is baffled. No problem codes are coming up. I have had a similar problem since I purchased vehicle new. The car just would not start. It sounded like it was flooded. The dealer never found that problem either. Any advice?? My car has been in the shop for a week.
    Agentc2 is it still under warranty if so I would take it in, also go to http://www.maxima.org/ and do a search alot of very helpful people their. Anthonyc I dont hear my max during acceleration in that range only when I give it gas in the 4000 and up range
  • volmaxvolmax Member Posts: 8
    Anthonyc,

I have a 2002 SE and I can definitely notice a difference between the engine noise with this car and my previous 1995 SE. The 2002 engine is louder at idle and under acceleration. I don't know if the 3.5L engine is just louder or if Nissan has eliminated some sound insulation in the 2002.

Another thing I have noticed is that the 3.5L seems to idle a little rougher than the 3.0L did. But, I only have 1000 miles on the car so this may smooth out over time.

Don't get me wrong the 2002 Maxima is a great car and I like it more every day. Overall it is a smooth and quiet car. Just not as quiet as my 1995 seemed to be.
    You've peaked my curiosity. I have a 95 SE and test drove a 2002 SE last November and didn't notice it being any louder at idle. However, it was a intensive but brief test drive and I was paying attention to a lot of other things.

I also wonder if the loudness has anything to do with exhaust system changes. Supposedly, that's one of the things Nissan did to get extra horsepower out of the 3.0 litre engine in 2000 (as I posted before, I never found those extra horses in several test drives, but supposedly they were there). I suspect Nissan may have retained those exhaust system changes in the new 2002, but the noise is more noticeable now with the larger 3.5 liter engine.

How do you find the acceleration and responsiveness of the 2002 vs. the 1995? Are/were they manual transmissions?
    Volmax can you hear the engine of your SE when you are driving around in an underground garage or accelerating on a quiet street under 2500 rpm with your radio turned off? I think the idle is not as smooth as some other V6s. It get worse when the radiator fan kicks in too. I test drove two different SEs and they both seemed to idle the same way and I bought one of the two since I figure that's the way they idle. What is the idle rpm on your SE at a stop light? Mine is an automatic and I don't know if makes any different.
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    I just can't understand why Nissan expects consumers to put up with ragged quality control on 30,000 Maximas...and live with it to boot..
    I just talked to a new 2002 SE owner(white pearl..beautiful)and he has the same problem as I do with my 2001 with a vibrating hood at high speeds...no adjustments at the dealer made any difference..So his reply"I try to ignore it and not look there"..how sad is that people....Totally disgusted.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for your post. I am considering a number of new cars such as the Nissan Maxima, Infiniti G20, Toyota Camry, Lexus ES300, and the Acura 3.2TL. I too feel the same about quality; that is why you do not see any "American" vehicles on my list. If I am going to pay that kind of money I feel I deserve a quality car. I have eliminated the Maxima because of concerns like yours. These type of defects are supposed to be found in pre-production testing. Thanks again for being frank about valid complaints.
  • ttupikettupike Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 GLE with 3700 miles and have noticed the rough idle since I bought it. I took it to the dealer a week after purchase and they claimed they couldn't notice any vibratio
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I test drove a spankin new SE a couple days ago and I saw the hood vibrating at highway speeds. Of course, the only reason I looked was because of previous posts here. It didn't really bother me and I'm probably going to buy a Max.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Big deal! Get over it! It is not going to fly off and remember, you are probably the only one who can see it. Other drivers can't. I have been up to 120mph in my 02 SE and haven't noticed the hood flapping causing any problems.

It is a GREAT car and enjoy it for what it is!
    Well I will say this the 95-99 were definately quieter at idle than the 00-02 are. Nissan did some things to the exhaust and when you acclerate in the 95-99 you dont here anything if you are near an object but in the 00-02 you can definately hear the mufffler/exhaust sound. You can also have them both parked next to each other and hve someone press the gas and yu will also hear the difference this way as well.
    Also rough idle has been a problem with the VQ for a while, go to http://www.maxima.org/ and they have solutions for that. My 02 idles a little smoother than my wifes 97, just a little.
    I have a 1995 Maxima SE with 122,000 miles and am pleased to report the hood is still firmly attached. And, by the way, it has held up exceptionally well, mechanically, fit & finish, everything.

I don't want to start an import vs. American built debate, but I did in part get a 1995 Maxima after being concerned that the other import cars I was considering back then - Camry and Accord among others - were in fact built in the states and did indeed have MORE quality control problems than the Maxima. In addition, the Camry in particular has gone through a lot of "value engineering" since 1995 that effectively removed almost any sense of an upscale interior and exterior style. Just take a close look at the headliner, dash, and door panel design and materials. I haven't seen the latest version, so I plead ignorance as to whether they have improved.

If there is a design flaw in the hood with newer Maximas, Nissan absolutely needs to fix it. But, based upon my long term Maxima experience, I have to give Nissan credit where it is due. I will be very pleased if my Honda S2000 holds up as well. Of course, the fact that its built side by side with the NSX gives me some comfort.
  • pathmax00pathmax00 Member Posts: 22
    I have a y2kgle with 51000 miles on it and I also am happy to report my hood does not vibrate and my car is as good as the day I bought it (3 years old in July) By the way my brother has a 2001 TL and his hood flaps above 60 mph.
    I have my 2002 Maxina GLE since first week of December. I have no problems with acceleration noises, no problem with hood flapping either. I am extremly PLEASED with my new Maxima. No quality control problems at all. One thing is a little annoying. For a car of this size (mid size) I would have thought it would have a better turning radious.
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    I think Nissan is doing a great job with making sure the styling and quality of their cars improve every year. BUT, I do believe that Nissan dealers do not treat their customers as well as they should. I believe JD Edwards had Nissan near the bottom of dealer satisfaction (with Pontiac which is no surprise to me).

Just my 2 cents....
    I was the one who started the thread on rough idle and noise two days ago. Today, when I was over at the dealer to pick up my new license and I asked them to let me take another 2002 SE out for a test drive to see if it would idle the same way. Well, it did idle exactly the same way like my SE and also I heard the engine and exhaust at the same rpm range that I could hear mine. The idling speed was same as my SE when it was cold and after it was warmed up. Now, I guess mine is normal. They even started up another one and let it warmed up and it idled and felt exactly like mine and also the one I test drove earlier.
  • rms_600rms_600 Member Posts: 14
    My '98's turn radius is decent (~37 ft. as I
    recall). Do people think turn radius increased
    after the 3.5L engine was stuffed into
    the engine bay? Consumer Reports recently
    panned an I35 for having a 43-44 ft. radius.
    Altima 3.5 is also in that range.
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    increased with the fifth generation (MY2000) Maxima with the 17" wheels. Less room for the wheels to move in the wheel wells with the bigger tires. A small tradeoff for the enhanced cornering ability. I have no problems parallel parking it. Consumer Reports should stick to their Camrys or whatever.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I guess I am lucky - no hood flapping, no vibration at idle. Actually no problems whatsoever - mine is 2001 GLE 1.5 years old...
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    2002 GLE, 5 months old, no hood flapping, no idle issues - excellent car! Anyone who crosses it off their "buy" list is making a big mistake!