Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    I purchased my 2002 Maxima GLE from VOB Nissan in Rockville, MD. (No hassle, No junk fees) Great experience -- still enjoying the max!! Good Luck!
  • wackawacka Member Posts: 16
    I just saw a price for an SE 6 Speed manual Black exterior and interior at Car Max for 23,976 in my area..

Here's what it includes:

ABS
    Cloth Seats
    Sunroof
    Air Bag(s)
    Power Windows / Locks
    (more)

I was looking at the new Altima (SL) trim, but I didn't like its interior and kept hearing how the Maxima's interior was much nicer. THis price seems interesting but it seems odd.. Any thoughts on wether this is a good deal or not?

It just seems fishy..
  • pwitzpwitz Member Posts: 51
    That price is off...you should be getting a better deal..other than the Sunroof, it looks like a bare SE model, so even with the 6 speed, you should be several hundred to a thousand less than that....my loaded 2k2 GLE (everthing except Navi) cost me less than 27K back in November without a rebate.
  • wackawacka Member Posts: 16
    It does seem bare bones I will admit, but in using that comparison to the Nissan site it comes out considerably less expensive..

But it also seems like some of the options (what little seems to be on it) are missing other required ones.. (example at the Nissan site adding certain options requires the addition of others to build your vehicle..)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    CarMax does not list every option on their website. Just because they do not list it, doesn't mean it's not there.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    If there's any SE Maxima-owning Michiganders on this board, I'd appreciate your input. I'm trying to decide whether the SE's suspension is too harsh for our extremely-low-quality roads. Do you wish you had gone with the softer suspension? Any GLE/GXE owners care to comment as well?

Thanks!
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Perna - I just bought a GXE from Bill Cook in Farmington. My previous car was a little sport-tuned roadster and I was tired of bouncing around like a rubber ball on these wonderful roads of ours. I test drove an SE, and compared to my previous car is seemed to float like a Buick. Personally, I don't notice much difference between the GXE and the SE other than I get a little more body sway on the GXE.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    Loved the story on the Mustang! But man you have big brass ones ...105 in third gear. But I can see how you can get carried away. When the situation comes at ya like that, you commit full steam ahead and damned the torpedoes! Man I woulda been on a high for the rest of the day if that happened to me like that. Poor Mustang man thought he had the edge on ya ...sneeking up on da ramp like that, then BAM!!!! You passed him like a jet beeing shot off an aircraft carrier. hahahaha! Beautiful dude!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I have a 92 Max and a 96 Max. Both engines are great, except that the 96 is more powerful and thirsty. Also, the 96 handles road bumps worse than the 92, even though the latter is an older car. I wish in the next generation Max, Nissan brings back the indep. suspension and drops the so-called rear multi-linked beam configuration.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The 4-wheel independent suspension will be back in the next generation Maxima, since it will be built on the Altima platform.
    Well, word was originally that it would come out in early '03 as an '04 model, but now I'm reading stuff that suggests it won't come out until MY2005.
  • steiner74steiner74 Member Posts: 1
    I will be picking up my 02 Nissan Maxima SE in Sterlin Silver/black cloth tomorrow. I'm in NJ and got it for $24,756.10 out the door (after taxes). The only real add-on is a sunroof, since it comes with the floor mats, wind deflector, spoiler, etc. Can't wait to get it in about 28 hours. Will be a HUGE difference from my '99 Mercury Cougar.
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    January 2003. That is from an article posted on the carconnection. They were getting a tour of the Nissan plant and NNA Senior VP Emil Hassan said "but Smyrna is about to undergo major production increases; we'll go up to the 510,000-515,000 range after the January (2003) launch of Maxima. We do a very efficient job here at Smyrna..." Plus Nissan is already doing test buildings of the Maxima to work out some problems.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4878&sid=175&n=156

• obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Considering the 2003 model is going to be the same as the 2002!

The only thing I can think of is that they are going to build the current model at Smyrna for a year to see how it goes, but I know for a fact the 2003 is going to be the same is the 2002.

BUT (Whew!), it could ALSO mean that they start building them in Jan 2003 for a Spring 03 - Summer - 03 roll out. Now THAT could work!

Thanks for listening! ;-)

Obi
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    I think Nissan will release the next Maxima in Summer 2003. In the article they mention a new product release every 2.5 to 3 months, so for August we have the 350z, in November we have the FX45 and g35 coupe, in Feb. or March the new Quest minivan. So the new Maxima may follow 3 months (June?) later.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    For the fun of it, I thought I'd compare what it's actually cost me to own my 1995 Maxima SE over the past 7 1/2 years & 125k miles vs. what Edmunds predicts for a new Maxima.

Edmunds predicts:

$13,428 Depreciation
    $5,269 Financing
    $7,821 Insurance
    $1,871 Taxes and Fees
    $4,604 Fuel
    $1,644 Maintenance
    $558 Repairs

$35,195 Total
    = $0.46 per mile over 5 years & 75,000 miles

My Actual:

$13,700 Depreciation ($20,700 purchase price - $7,000 estimated resale value today)
    $0 Financing (paid cash)
    $5,240 Insurance (multiple car discount)
    $2,050 Taxes & Registration (includes 6% initial sales tax)
    $7,358 Fuel (averaged 23.98 mpg since new)
    $4,688 Maintenance (routine, nothing unusual)
    $1,015 Repairs (including $600+ "Dent Wizard" ding removal)

$34,051 Total
    = $0.2724 per mile over 125,004 miles, 7 years & 7 months as of 5/1/02

If I added an "opportunity cost" of 5% per year on the $22k that I paid in cash for the car (i.e. in lieu of financing), that would add $1,100 per year or roughly $8,250 / $0.066 per mile, bringing the total to $0.3384 per mile. But frankly, I was better off putting my cash into the car compared to how poorly my stock portfolio performed in the last few years.

The big flaw I see with the Edmunds estimate is in the area of maintenance. If they think that 5 years and 75,000 miles is only going to cost $1,644, they are SMOKING DOPE. I religiously took my car to the dealer every 7,500 miles for the first 75,000 miles and every 15,000 miles since. Over 75,000 miles, that would work out to (5) "A" services at about $150 each, (3) "B" Services at about $250 each and (2) "C" services at about $350-400 each. Just routine scheduled service would be $2,000 to $2,500 over 5 years. I changed oil every 3,500 to 4,000 miles, so add another $300 for 10 between service oil changes. I guess Edmunds assumes no new tires until 75,001 miles? Add $400 for a 1995 SE, a lot more for a 2002, from what I hear. I can't imagine the total for maintenance over 75k miles not being at or above $3,000, based upon my $4,688 over 125k miles with NO significant unexpected maintenance and a cheaper car on the tire front.

Maintenance aside, I was glad to see that I beat the $0.46 per mile Edmund's estimate by a significant margin (and I didn't even skimp on premium gas to do so!).
  • kimj1kimj1 Member Posts: 32
    Is the Nav. system in the Maxima the same as in the Infiniti I35? When I was car shopping about a year and a half ago, I saw the Nav. in the I30 and it was a bit fussy to use. Now, I know it may have changed, but I was wondering if it is the same or is it easier to use.

Thanks, Kim
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    does anyone know if the I35 share the same multi-link rear beam as the Max?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    It does share the same beam. They are sister cars in every way but the exterior differences and interior differences
  • letsrockletsrock Member Posts: 74
    Other than the exterior and the interior, they are the same? There is a punchline in there somewhere. :)
  • wazappawazappa Member Posts: 32
    I think he means that they are identical only different.
  • texastownhalltexastownhall Member Posts: 22
    Hey guys,

Thanks to all who has responded to my eariler questions on the Maximas. Now, the selection. Which is a better value?

Less expensive.

GLE My wife likes the leather seats.
    I like it for its Bose stereo.

Dislikes
    SE My wife doesn't like the stiffer suspension

GLE I question its leather quality.

Which is better value in your opinion and what is the price difference between the two. Thanks guys.
  • rswaglerswagle Member Posts: 27
    Thought I met let u guys know that I finally bought my Grey Lustre GLE today for $25,200 w/ 3.9% financing for 60 months.
    Equip:
    fl. mats
    mud guards
    sunroof
    sunroof deflector -came w/it already :(
    The MSRP was $28,850 and I think invoice was $26,750. Overall I believe this turned out OK!
    Hope this helps.
    Happy Motoring
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    K&N air filter - I put one in my car about 12,000 miles ago and 2 days ago, the check engine lite came on... so I took it in and they reprogrammed the ECU.... they didn't say it was cause of the filter, but I assumed that it was since that's the only thing I changed and it wasn't because of the gas cap. I put mine in cause of cost, performance wasn't an issue with me but whatever extra performance I get out of it is a bonus. The question I have about the filter is, do you guys notice any dirt accumulate on the filter? I noticed on the regular stock filter, you actually see how much dirt gets trapped by the filter, but on this K&N, it looks clean after 12,000 miles. any ideas?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    One major daily newspaper is looking for folks who drive 2002 or 2003 yellow or orange cars, and another major daily newspaper is looking for folks who successfully or unsuccessfully attempted to negotiate the purchase prices of their vehicles at the end of their lease terms. If you care to share your stories on either or both of these topics, please send an e-mail containing a short summary of your experience and your contact information to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, May 14.

Thanks much,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A television reporter is interested in hearing from folks who have driven long distances to get good prices when buying new cars or trucks. If you have a story to tell, please drop a line including your contact info and city/state of residence to jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I bought an SE with the leather and Bose option and thought it better than the GLE. Everything is personal preference, but I like the sportier interior with white gauges and no faux-wood, spoiler, 6 spoke wheels and the firmer suspension. You didn't mention wheels, which do you prefer, GLE or SE? I think a fully loaded SE will be about the same $$ as a GLE.
  • hound97hound97 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 2001 SE. I believe when I first got this car around Nov. 2000 I heard some people talking about warped rotors. I've got 22,000 miles on my maxima and I know the rotors don't feel right. I can feel it in the brake pedal and the steering wheel. What can I do? Will the dealer replace them? turn them? I can't be ready for a brake job at 22,000 miles. They are mostly highway miles and not a lot of stop and go. I want new rotors. Will they give them to me?
    They are only covered for 12 months/12,000 miles. You will have to pay for them, unless they are nice and give them to you.

Just because the rotors are bad doesn't mean you need a brake job. Hitting a big puddle in the rain after alot of braking can warp them. If you get the metal really hot, then cool it off that quickly, you will warp the rotor. Listening to your case, that's what's wrong with your Maxima.

I would take the car to the dealer just to see what they will say, but take it someplace else if they will not replace the rotors for free. The dealer will be alot more expensive for rotors than your local repair shop will. Good luck.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    My Dad has a 2001 Xterra. He is thinking about the Extended Care coverage. Must you buy this where you purchased the car or can you shop around. What is a good price with the $0 deductible option?
  • luckylarluckylar Member Posts: 12
    In the Tampa Bay Area A Base Maxima SE auto. I have yet to find anyone going anywhere near $5000 under MSRP. What is the best price to buy one?
    $24000 with 3.9% is what they are offering.
  • rswaglerswagle Member Posts: 27
    I was wondering if someone could let me know when I can wash/wax my new Max? I just picked it up the last week and is already really dirty. I've heard that you should not wax a new car for the first 5-6 months. This can't be true?!
    Thanks in advance
  • gogrannygogogrannygo Member Posts: 4
    I have now driven the Maxima for 2 months and still find the seats too stiff, too much like sitting on cardboard. My brother just bought the 2002 Pathfinder and the FIRST thing I noticed when I got in it was how much more comfortable the seats were. I wouldn't trade the Maxima for the Pathfinder (can't hotrod that thing around like you can the Maxima) but the seat issue is irritating.
  • 90max90max Member Posts: 15
    If the seats don't feel right now, believe me, they don't get better over time. I've had my 02Se 7 months, almost 10k, and I have to agree -- the seats suck. Nissan is replacing the seat bottom (for some reason w/o replacing the seat back) on the driver's seat on mine under warranty, but I really don't think it's going to help much (I'll let you know).
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    If you compare a comparably optioned SE to a GLE you will pay
    about $500 more for the SE. , which may or may not be a big deal.

I prefer the GLE with the white on black gauges and the color matched
    steering wheel / column ( black on SE , no matter what interior color ).

Again, it's all a matter of personal preference. As far as ride quality
    goes, I thought the SE and GLE were not much different when driving
    normally. When pushed to the limit, I believe the SE would be better.
    I must point out that I'm in Maryland which has some of the best roads
    ( smooth ) on the east coast, imho. If your roads are poor , obviously,
    ride quality will suffer a little with either vehicle.

Another voice heard from ;-)
    gogrannygo,

Do you have a problem with the seats on short drives or long drives ?
    I'm curious because I'm considering the purchase of an ' 02.

You said the seats " are like sitting on cardboard " . Does this mean you
    think they are too hard or too soft ?
    I rented a Maxima from Budget for one day, drove it 141 miles in that day. I thought the seats were a little too hard for me on the backs. And that's really surprising, because I have a 2002 Jetta and it has the most firm seats I ever rode on. The seatback was not comfortable to me though, and I couldn't get the lumbar in the right adjustment either. A miserable ride for me.
  • bgongawarebgongaware Member Posts: 3
    FYI. There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) related to rotor problems for the 2000 Maxima (don't know if it applies for newer ones). The title is 2000 Maxima Brake Judder, reference NTB00-088, classification BR00-007, and dated 10/2000. A note on the bulletin says "the only way to eliminate brake judder caused by the front brakes is to turn the fron disc brake rotors using an on-car brake lathe (such as the Ammco model #705)". Another note says "repair is covered by the 3 year, 36000 mile warranty for these vehicles".

Hope this is helpful.
  • tdubbwtdubbw Member Posts: 2
    I was shopping for an older Maxima and found an ad saying he had a 96 GLE with a 5 speed. It has a spoiler on it making me think it is an SE. I thought that all GLE's were automatic. The owner bought it used a few years ago, and said he specifically shopped for one with this option. I can't seem to find anything other than a GLE comes only in automatic. Also, was the SE the only car of the three GXE, GLE, and SE to come with a spoiler?

thanks
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    According to Edmunds, it comes standard with Auto. Go to the top of this page and click on the Used link, then select the make, model year and view specs...
    Since the GLE model debuted in 1995, it has always come with standard automatic.
    Someone over at maxima.org saw a prototype of the new Max and snapped some shots. Check them out here:
    www.brianv.net/newmaxima
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    Just like Jolar! I was coming off off Rte 9. As you come off ramp it turns into 2 lanes, then a traffic light. As I came down ramp there was a late model Mustang GT. He was in right lane, so I pull up to left lane. At end of ramp was traffic light, it was red. I knew it was a long red, I take it every day. If this guy was making a right oky dokie. If he planned on going straight...so was I. If you go straight ther are 2 lanes that narrow to one in about a quarter mile. I played cool, didn't even look at him, or put my hands on the wheel. I tested him out, put my hands to the steering wheel and yup...he inched up. The light turned green, I chirped my wheels, he did same, but not quick enough. He gave up after about 200 feet. It felt NICE! Fhugeddaboudit!!!!
  • robertrrobertr Member Posts: 125
    I was on I-94 East last week in the second from the right lane about to move right for my exit when this Mustang GT convertible decides to pass me on the right. If I just let him pass I'll probably miss my exit so I downshifted to 3rd (2000 SE 5-speed) and floored it and left the Mustang way behind.

After I had moved in front of him and was on the exit ramp I saw him going by on the expressway. It looked fast, but I don't know what it had in it or exactly how quick Mustangs are. My guess is they are probably a little quicker to 50 or 60 from a stop. I would also guess that a Maxima would probably take most Mustangs from a rolling start from 40mph or so to top end.

Does someone know how the Maxima's acceleration and speed compares to a V-8 Mustang?
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I have a 92 GXE and a 97 GLE. The driver seat in the 97 is not as comfortable (but not terrible) as the 92; I don't know about the passenger seat because I rarely sit there. Also, the range of seat (power) adjustments in the 97 is smaller.

I have never, until now, heard of a GLE with a five speed. The GLE has (faux) wood trim, but I do not think the SE or GXE comes with such trim.
  • manimal79manimal79 Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys, thank you all for your inputs about the Maxima. They have been quite informative. I am planning on buying a car within the next month or so and i have come down to three choices, and one of them is the 2002 Maxima SE. I don't plan on getting any options with it cuz i think the 02 SE comes with A LOT of standard features.

Anyway, I have some questions regarding the 02 SE:
    1) To the owners of the SE maximas: are you satisfied with them? Why or why not? Have you encountered any problems? how is the feel of the car? on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best, how would u rate it?

2) How reliable are the Maximas?

3) What is the resale value (residual) of the Maxima?

Thanks in advance.
    The Maxima's reliability is very good according to Consumer Reports.

The resale value of the Maxima is about average, but I think it's going to lower because I am beginning to see Maximas in rental fleets. Also, when a manufacturer starts offering rebates, it lowers resale value.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Better buy an '02 or '03 before it's too late!
  • hmamontovhmamontov Member Posts: 10
    Yes, I agree. New Maxima will be totally different from current. And I think I don't like new one. BTW, how do you think, when it will be the best time to buy 03 Maxima? I'm planning to go for it maybe in winter. I hope at that time Nissan will start some discounts, rebates etc.
    Has anyone seen any published 0-60 times
    for the 2k2 Max. automatic ? Somewhere I think I
    saw 6.5 secs. for the 5- speed so I'm guessing
    around 7.1 - 7.2 for the automatic.

Seems like most of the automotive press is not
    that interested in the '02 even tho it has the
    larger engine.