Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• loomisloomis Member Posts: 1
    i'm sure this question has been answered elsewhere, but i'd appreciate any suggestions for improving the sound on the Bose system in my 2001 Max. To my ears, it's very flat--poor highs and lows. Should I change out the speakers? Add a sub/tweeters? I'd like to get away with as inexpensive a fix as possible. thanks.
  • carriemaxcarriemax Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time on this site, but I would like to know if you have gotten any message related to my current issue for my car.

1. My car is 2000 Maxima GLE with 36,625 miles, I purchased it new so the 3yrs will be up 8/20/02. I have already had the oxygen sencer replaced and this morning I had to take it in because there was noise.

The Nissan repair man said that the car now need prower steering pump, which is going to cost me $576.92 since the car no longer is covered under warr. since it has more than 36,000 miles, but under 3yrs.

Please let me know it you have any information concerning these (2) issues.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Go to a website on the net and buy an extended warranty before having this work done. The warranty will cost about $700 or so (estimated), so you will have put the PS pump money into the warranty and the sensor. Cheaper that way.

Just put in "extended auto warranty" into your search engine on the net. Alot of them will come up.
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Being so close to 36k you may want to contact Nissan directly and see if they would be willing to help with even partial payment. Tell them you are a loyal Nissan owner, enjoy the product, but.... I don't know if you'll have any luck but it might be worth a try. Let us know what happens.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • kvsm3kvsm3 Member Posts: 32
    I am curious but would the power steering be somehow covered under the 60K powertrain warranty or does that just cover the engine and drivetrain.
    Might want to look at the warranty booklet just to make sure.
  • tiger8tiger8 Member Posts: 120
    Nissan has raised prices on the '03 Maxima: $200 on the GXE and SE; $450 on the GLE. I would imagine options on the GXE and SE are also up.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    Maximas do tend to have a bit of a problem with O2 sensors. I had a '95 that went thru 4 of them (under warranty) in the first 35,000 miles.
  • georged98georged98 Member Posts: 34
    Carrie - How can someone tell if the sensor is going bad or is bad?
  • djp2cdjp2c Member Posts: 39
    Nissan in Canada have agreed to correct the problem of Hood Bounce that earlier models of the 2002 Maxima have experienced.

My wife would not drive my Maxima on the highway because she was afraid the hood would come up.

It is expecially dangerous in windy conditions.

The service bulletin will be out in July.
  • albatros43albatros43 Member Posts: 36
    I remember there being some discussion about this a while ago, but I can't seem to find them. Anyway, my issue is the following: I hit a curb with my Max and blew out the driver's front tire (going a little too fast, I blame myself 100% for this part). I had a comparable tire put on because the dealer was out of stock Toyos and I needed the car for work. After changing the tire and redoing the alignment, the car was pulling to the right, but not as a result of acceleration. Since I wanted matching tires, I bought a replacement rim and got a Toyo tire from another dealer. I had the new rim and Toyo put on and am now using the other rim and tire as a full-size spare (which the trunk isn't designed for and my trunk floor is now not flat!). Anyway, now the car is pulling to the left significantly during moderate to heavy acceleration, but not at constant speeds. The dealer says the alignment is fine, but I find this hard to believe. It seems like this "torque steer" has just started after having the new rim and Toyo put on. I'm pretty frustrated after spending nearly $500 for a new rim, Toyo, alignment, and balancing of all tires. I'm taking the car to the dealer again to see if they can finally fix the problem. Does anyone have a similar experience with torque steer or does it sound like they just never got the alignment right to begin with? Could I have caused some other type of damage by hitting the curb that would cause the torque steer? I don't really think that's the issue though, as the car was pulling right, now it's pulling left. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I have a GLE with a trunk lock problem, which I discovered several months ago. I cannot open the trunk manually with a key, but only with the remote trunk release located inside the car or with the key flob unit. The dealer told me that the lock cylinder probably "froze" due to prolonged non-usage, but I find that hard to believe. Dealer also said it would cost about $100 to fix since my warranty has expired. Does anyone have this problem?
  • patti2raypatti2ray Member Posts: 1
    we just bought a 99gxe and are having big problem with malfunctioning security system (immobiler system)that prevents engine from starting. not sure what tripped it but we didn't have any of the items mentioned in the owners manual such as toll road or gas staion speed passes. any idea what could trip it? we did however have a few of those bar code tags that stores hand out for their purchasing programs.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    albatros43 - I had a faulty Toyo tire that made the car pull under acceleration. I too initially thought it was a wheel alignment issue, but it turned out it wasn't. When I had my tire rotation done I realized it was a bad tire - the car stopped pulling (actually started pulling very slightly in the other direction).

I may be wrong, but if I were you I'd rotate the tires to see if it is a tire problem. This is assuming that the alignment is within specs, and the suspension is undamaged which seems to be the case with you.
  • scotty20scotty20 Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the process of buying a new car and one of the must haves is a navigation system. I'm thinking about a 2003 maxima - anyone have any experience with the maxima system. does it work well? is is easy to use? is this the same system as the infiniti i35?
  • mcontrerasmcontreras Member Posts: 10
    You're not, by any chance, using the valet key to try and open your trunk??
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Hi everyone,
    I received a letter through carpoint and NHTSA saying there was a recall for 01/02 Maximas, I30's, and I35's because of faulty lower control arms. The NHTSA number is 02V146000 and I've verified it's on NHTSA's website. The problem is when I call my dealer or Nissan NA, everyone pleads ignorance telling me there's no recall for my 01 maxima. Maybe the recall doesn't apply to my particular car, but they keep saying there's no recall period on maximas. Does anyone know which cars this recall pertains to or if it's legit? And if the recall does apply to my car, how do I get the dealer to see that?

Leon
    leoniv - thanks for pointing out the recall.

You may have to give Nissan a few days, as the recall seems to be very recent.
  • prayerforprayerfor Member Posts: 161
    You should be able to answer the question of whether or not the torque steer problem is related to the new wheel/tire by rotating tires. Put the new one out back and two originals up front and see if the problem is still there.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    i COPIED THIS FROM NHTSA SITE ABOUT 2002 MAXIMA TROUBLE
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 02V146000
    Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER
    Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Year: 2002 Make: NISSAN Model: MAXIMA Recall Date: 06/03/2002
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 90500
    Manufactured: 06/2001 - 01/2002
    Defect Summary:
    VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE PIN AT THE END OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION TRANSVERSE LINK (LOWER CONTROL ARM) COULD BREAK WHERE IT IS MOUNTED TO THE FRAME.
    Consequence Summary:
    THIS CAN CAUSE A KNOCKING SOUND AND ABNORMAL STEERING. THIS COULD RESULT IN DIFFICULTY CONTROLLING THE VEHICLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TRANSVERSE LINKS ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES WITH NEW ONES. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.
  • autos3autos3 Member Posts: 24
    I will be in the market for our another car (this will make 4 for our house) The last Maxima I owned was a 99SE 5spd and loved the car. I did drive a 02 SE 6spd and enjoyed the car, but thought the ride was a bit "harsh" but could live with it. A local dealer has a 99 SE 5spd with only 12k on it and was thinking of purchasing that car.

I like the new Max's for many reasons, HIDS, Style, 6spd, larger, but will use this car for long trips weekly and remain concerned about the ride, can anyone previous generation Maxima owners provide me with personal preference over the last gen max vs the current. THANKS
    autos3,
    I also have a 99 SE 5 speed with 43K miles. I love the car and it has been my primary car since I bought it new. Besides routine maintenance, the car has been trouble free. I am still on original tires and brakes.Its true the 02/03 has more power,features, room than the 99s, but it appears that the newer ones seemed to be recalled more often than the 4th gen Maximas.
    If you can get a great deal on the 99, then go for it. Of course there are huge incentives on the current Maximas as well. I personally like the 97-99 styling than the current ones. Just my personal opinion. I have had no recalls at all.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I don't think the 95-99 models of Maxima GLE come with valet keys (mine is 98 and I do not recall ever having a valet key); the 90-94 models did (but I lost the valet key for my 92 GXE quite some time ago).

My understanding of the nav system on the Maxima is that it does not compare well with navs on other cars, such as the Acura. I heard Maxima's nav. is not user friendly because, among other things, a lot of other buttons (such as climate control)are only accessible thru the nav. screen. Moreover, it is not a dvd system, and you need to purchase many CDs if you drive across the country. Also, with the nav., your disc changer will have to be in the trunk.
  • inetdeeinetdee Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I am planning on getting a Nissan Maxima GLE
    2002 fully loaded..brand new from the dealer.
    Includes everything from the Meridian Package
    to sunroof, leather heated seats, side air bags,
    traction control, mats, splash guards(4), and
    rear spoiler...now here are my questions:

1. What is a good price to pay for this car?
    Is $25k decent, knowing that the 2003's are
    coming out any day now..dealer wants to offload
    his 2002 stock..I want to know what you all think.

2. What are the major differences between the
    2002 and 2003 GLE as I describe above?

3. Does the 2002 GLE use only Premium fuel? Can I put in the regular cheap stuff? How about 2003?

4. Are there any major problems with the 2002
    GLE? I've owned a Toyota before and it was
    always trouble free...required nothing but normal
    maintenance.

Thanks so much for your help.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My thoughts:

1. Compare '02 price to '03. If you intend to keep car for less than 4-5 years, the '03 will probably be worth at least $1-2k more on resale, all other things equal. If you intend to keep it more than 5-6 years, it doesn't matter much (i.e. get the best deal you can on an '02).

2. I'm not in market, so I don't know of changes between '02 and '03, but assume they are minor/cosmetic, since a complete redesign is coming next year.

3. Use premium fuel. I have 127k miles on an 1995 SE and during that time have used 5,250 gallons (24.02 mpg). Any savings in buying cheap gas would have likely been lost on lower fuel economy. The Maxima engine is an engineering jewel that still feels as strong in my car as when it was new. You don't really want even a slight possibility of screwing it up to try to save for a few pennies, do you??

4. I have owned Toyota's and Nissan's and, albeit just one person's experience/opinion, I think my Maxima is built better, with less corner cutting, than any comparable Toyota. My front brakes lasted 90k miles, my rears 115k. I'm on the original clutch. No major repairs in 127k miles, period. Even the paint finish still looks great. Not to mention that an SE Maxima is a hell of a lot more fun to drive than the Buick (I mean Toyota) Camry / Avalon.

Good luck.
  • njrussnjruss Member Posts: 7
    What dealer offered you 25k for a loaded GLE? I am looking now and would love that deal!
  • dcmikedcmike Member Posts: 53
    Haven't posted in a while, still trying to decide what to buy. Here is my dilemma:

1. Tried to wait for the new Accord. Saw the pictures - disappointing!
    2. Tried the Camry - no personality, hated the seats
    3. Afraid of VW quality
    4. Drove the Altima - great ride, loads of space, questionable interior
    5. Drove the GLE Max - loved the engine, questioned the ride quality.

Really torn between the Max (GLE) and the Altima (3.5).
    What should I do?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    It really comes down to personal preference since both the Altima and the Maxima cost about the same once you start negotiating.

I chose the Altima for the following reasons:
    1) Altima is a newer design. The current Maxima will be replaced around March 2003, at which point the current Maxima will look dated. Altima is at the beginning of its product cycle and will look fresh longer.
    2) Altima's exterior design is better IMO.
    3) Altima has a more advanced chassis with independent rear suspension.
    4) Altima seems sportier than the Maxima. Maxima seems more luxurious, but that is not what I'm looking for right now.

The downside as you said is that the Altima's interior materials are not as nice as the Maxima's. That wasn't enough to sway me, but maybe your priorities are different.

Hope this helps.
  • jenks2jenks2 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for tire replacement advice. My tires are just about ready for replacement. Bought my 2k GLE Maxima new and love it. My only complaint is too much road noise from the original Toyos. I'm hoping a new set of skins will reduce the noise. Tirerack recommended the Bridgestone Turanza. The most important characteristic to me is a tire that provides the quietest, smoothest ride. Also, I live in the northeast,so they need to perform well in snow. Is there a tire that will reduce the road noise or is the noise typical for this car?
  • rickmtb2rickmtb2 Member Posts: 7
    I just replaced my 2k GLE's Toyos with Bridgestone Potenzas RE950s. I considered the Turanzas but I wanted a tad bit more performance from the Max. I suspect the Turanza will be smoother and quieter since it is Bridgestone's touring tire. When I was looking to buy Bridgestone was running a special on Turanzas... buy four and get a free Elph camera.

btw, when I was buying mine the Firestone dealer quoted me a really good price. I was able to get Sears to match, so I got 4 Potenzas for $550 out the door.

Anyway, the other tire I really wanted was the Dunlop SP Sport A2 but it would have been weeks before local (Houston) dealers were going to get four in my size, so I went with the Potenzas.
  • nmchopnmchop Member Posts: 27
    I'm considering trading "down" but really up to a Nissan maxima (1998 SE)...it's got the Bose and sunroof, cloth seats (i like that since I live in the desert and it's 100-degrees every day).

It's dark green with a little bit of sun damage around the fake wood where the dash goes around the radio (very minor, the plastic covering is coming up a little, it happens out here).

I got them down to $14,995 on the Maxima SE (52,000 miles). I currently drive a 2000 Dodge Stratus ES (I want out of the leather). So I'm $2500 upside down in the Maxima, so the purchase price will be roughly $17,500 after the upside down figure is factored in.

I'd like to hear from those who have had the SE and the 1998 model. I really loved the way it drove, it's more car then I have now, though i'm going from 32,000 miles to 52,000 miles.

I still think i'm getting a lot more car but just a little nervous about trading back two model years and picking up extra miles. Anyone want to address my fears or give me a review on their 1998 (or any year) Maxima.

Thanks
    nmchop - you should be able to get the Max for less - check the discussions in the Smart Shopper section.
    NMCHOP,
    First of all $14995 is way too much for a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE. If you want to find out the TMV (true market value), check the TMV value for used cars at the Edmunds site.
    Second, The Nissan Maxima is a great car and is way better then the Dodge Stratus by a long shot!
    I have a 1999 SE 5 speed with 45K miles and it hasnt given me any problems. Very reliable, quick and the VQ engine is bulletproof.
    I also have a 96 Maxima GXE with 145K miles of which I am the original owner. the car runs like new. Besides routine maintenance, I have had no problems. The car doesnt even burn or leak any type of fluids.
    The Maxima is definitely a great buy but u should be able to do much better on the price.
    I can't comment on the price being fair or not, but, assuming the '98 Max is in sound mechanical condition, the 2 years and 20,000 miles that you're "trading away" are absolutely no problem because Maximas of that vintage are pretty well bullet-proof (other than occasionally popping an O2 sensor). I don't mean to slam Chrysler, but I think the Max would easily outlast your Stratus. And like kv said, the Max is a whole lot more car.
    Bought a 2003 SE yeasterday, offered the dealer invoice and he accepted - I did pay the $300 marketing allowance. This dealer also adds about $400 for pin striping, door guards, etc. which he wanted to charge for. I asked the salesperson to make that go away, so they took $200 off. Good deal I think - any opinions. Also got 4.9% 60 months from NMAC. I went in looking for a 2002 which would have cost me around $600 less and 3.9% but for such a small difference, I went for the newer model year.
    Any difference in features between '02 & '03?
  • dg95dg95 Member Posts: 16
    njruss,

I may be in the market for an SE 6sp. I have owned 2 SE's in the past, a '92, and a '96, and they are great cars. I'm in the market for a new car and there are some great choices in the low $30k range. But, if I decide I really would rather spend less at this time (might be buying a new house soon too), a Max. needs a definite looks see. I'm curious, what options did you get on the car and what was invoice. Edmunds doesn't have '03 invoice listed yet, but I imagine that it would be similar to the '02 - $26k or so with a lot of goodies.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    $14995 might not be a bad dealer price for a '98 Max, depending on what the options are.
    Edmund's dealer TMV seems to be 14.5K for that car, in my area anyway.
  • nmchopnmchop Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for your posts...It's an SE, Dark Green, Tan cloth interior. Moonroof, Bose, clean, 52,000 miles, alloy wheels, ABS, power driver seat (not sure on passenger seat), it didn't have the keyless entry doo hickey that I saw. So it's pretty well loaded minus leather.
    nmchop,
    Are u saying the car didnt have the keyfob with keyless entry? As part of the leather package, you get 4 way passenger power seat, automatic climate control and rear mappocket. Does the car have side airbags and heated seats?
  • packwolfpackwolf Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2K2 GLE, everything but the NAV. Price was 26,983 (which if I recall was 200 below the TMV). Got them to throw in their "total lasting care" paint warranty for free (sticker of 499). Subtract the rebate (1000), add the extended warranty (849) for a total of 26,832. TTL brings it to 27,855. The car stickered for 29,752. I guess if I had pushed harder I might've been able to get between 25 and 25,500 after the rebate. I'm trying not to think about it though. I just keep reminding myself how much I like the car, and try to forget about the numbers (afterall, I beat TMV so that means I must've paid less than most others did).
  • 10ttaml10ttaml Member Posts: 1
    Packwolf, you sure got a good deal. I was offered 27400 merlot gold package gle spoiler moonroof etc except Nav.system,sticker was 29752, haven't accepted yet.Now I'm looking at gle,meridian,moonroof,spoiler and extras for the same price, do you think that's good price?Don't know anything about extended warranty and so on.
    Here is what I have for invoice prices. I got basically no options.

Base: 23051 (MSRP 25649)
    Floor Mats 61 (79)
    Trunk Mats 41 (59)
    4 splash guards 91 (129)
    Destination 540 (540)
    Mktg Allow. 300 (0)

Total 24084 (26456)

Hope this helps!
  • jcw915jcw915 Member Posts: 31
    Hey,

I have a sheer silver maxima the front bumper needs to be repainted. my cousin was driving my car and somehow he scrapped against the wall. do you guys know what I have to type in to search for a good body shop in my area (atlanta)?? also, you guys know how much it's gonna cost?! the front bumper's paint is stripped and im assuming that they have to repaint the entire bumper or else it won't match too well...???

thanks,
    Jerry
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    I bought a 2k2 GLE in May, everything but Nav. ( includes floor mats,
    Painted splash guards, Wind Deflector, etc ) and paid $26,892. I opted
    for the 3.8% financing rather than the $1000 cash back. I had to do
    ALOT of negotiating to get this price.

packwolf..................I think you got a fair and honest price. I feel I could
    have done better but I'd probably still be at the dealership haggling on
    price. :-) BTW, this car is awesome. For the money, it's gotta be
    one of the best performance / luxury deals around !! imho
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Haven't posted in a while. I've got a 00 SE Auto, loaded with everything possible at the time. Really wishing I would've got the 5sp, but then again I'm in the vintage with the "fuel-cut" problem. I bought early so I've got the 16" wheels.

Here's my ?s on this car, hopefully somebody can offer some advice.

1.) My steering wheel vibrates for about 3 to 5 seconds EVERY time I slow to a stop. Is it the electronic motor mounts? Sometimes in rush hour, like stop go, it'll sit and vibrate constantly until speed is completely stop or more than 10mph.

2.) The car seems lame from 0 to 20 mph, almost doggish. She wakes up if you stomp on it, but it just doesn't have the pep I wish it did coming out of the hole. I think it's the nature of the beast with this vintage. No torque off the line. Any cheap mods to help? How bout Stillen Intake? Maybe an Underdrive Pulley? Can't afford to trade up to 02 6sp.

3.) I've got a K&N drop-in filter. Doesn't seem to make any difference at all. Waste of money in my opinion. Would love to dyno with and without to prove theory.

4.) Tranny seems to shift into 2nd gear way too early sometimes when going slow. I'll pull out from a stop sign making a turn, or pull out in front of somebody and be going like 5mph, hit the gas and NOTHING happens for a full second. Then she drops down to what must be 1st (feels like passing gear) and she takes off like crazy. Shift from 1 to 2 is crisp and I supposedly have the TCU from the TSB, although I'm not 100% convinced since I never saw the old one or verified part #s or anything.

I'm now approaching my 3yr/36K and the car has its quirks but I still like it. Bought it for its size, value, etc.

Just looking for comments on mods, etc.

Seeya
  • packwolfpackwolf Member Posts: 2
    10tt...Off the top of my head you are right at TMV, so I think that's good (for whatever my opinion is worth). To borrow from roar's post, its "a fair and honest price."

Roar...I was getting 5.8 from my bank so I figured w/ the rebate I could "buy" a little peace of mind w/ the extended warranty. This is the first time I've spent this much money on a car and I just wanted to feel like I was protected should something awful happen (as unlikely as that seems w/ the maxima track record).

No doubt about it for those on the fence... this car is a wonderful blend of power, luxury and practicality.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Besides the 2k2 GLE ( mine ) I have a 2k GLE ( wifes) .I recently came back
    from a 385 mile trip with the 2k Max. ( car has 43,000 mi. on it ) and averaged
    29.3 mpg with the cruise set on 70 and the Bose and A/C set on high. BTW,
    premium fuel was used. Only the best for the Max.

Fantastic !!!!