Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• oilers1oilers1 Member Posts: 17
    Why the hostility? No where in your post did you mention that you contacted Nissan directly. You stated that the dealers in Canada were not fixing this problem and I know that that is incorrect as my hood bounce was fixed.
  • mtkaplanmtkaplan Member Posts: 15
    If anyone wants a PDF format copy of the owners manual for 1996-2003 Maximas, (other Nissan and Infinity vehicles manuals also available at that site) you can download it at:
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.asp?dept_id=37
  • logitech1logitech1 Member Posts: 32
    My friend bought a 1992 maxima, can anyone tell me it uses a timing chain or belt? it has 110K miles now, when is due to change the chain/belt?
    Thanks
    so strange... I thought MAXIMA shoule be larger than Altima...
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    It uses a timing belt. It should have been changed at or about 60k miles together with the water pump. Assuming that was done, it looks like your car is due for another change soon.
    That is because the Altima was redesigned in 2002 and it is using a newer platform. The 2004 Maxima will also be redesigned and based on that same platform which will make it the same size or maybe a little larger. The Maxima is still the better car.
    hehe, I don't have money now.. I can wait for 2004 maxima!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    So you are telling me that an I35 (a ~$30,000 car) comes with a temporary spare standard, and you have to buy a full-size tire? That is a joke!
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    and I contemplated getting a full size spare when I bought my 1995 Maxima. Fortunately 8 years and 130k miles and no flats.

On the other hand, with many of the $30k - $50k+ RWD sport sedans (and all sports cars), the tires are uni-directional, asymetrical with different front and rear sizes. In order to be fully covered, you would need to carry around 4 full size spares. That would put a crimp in getting your golf clubs in the trunk.
  • 1000bpm1000bpm Member Posts: 6
    yesssir ..... the full size spare is a $180 option on the I35. It eats up just under 2 cu. ft. of trunk space which was why I elected not to go with it. Poor design on the part of Nissan, hopefully this will be fixed in the '04.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    vocus said: So you are telling me that an I35 (a ~$30,000 car) comes with a temporary spare standard, and you have to buy a full-size tire? That is a joke!

You are kidding, right? What's wrong with having a temporaty spare? At least it is not optional as with the $87,000 Maserati Spyder, where you get a "fix-a-flat" kit as standard:

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/jedlicka.aspx?modelid=10343&src=vip

I used to worry about having a temp spare, when I got a flat tire, on the car due to its speed/distance limitations. I have a full-size spare tire that came with my Jetta now, and am glad because I got a flat on a 500-mile trip over the 4th. Saved $100 on buying the tire at my destination rather than having to rush to a dealer.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Oh, a full-size spare is always better, everything else being equal. But one may want to compromize due to space limitations, or even weight limitations.

And high price doesn't necessarily mean full-size spare, as is the case with the Maserati.
  • sheryl22sheryl22 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1991 Maxima SE that I have LOVED, but am giving it to my 16 yr old soon. I'm in the market to buy another SE - either a 2002 or 2003. Opinions on which is better, please. Since the 2003's just came out, deals abound to get the 2002's off the lot so is this a better route than, say, 0% financing on a 2003? I welcome all comments and ideas...thanks!
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    Find out which 1992 maxima your friend has. From 1992 through 1994 Nissan offered two different engines in the maxima.

The GXE model (160 HP) uses a timing belt which needs changing every 60k miles. The SE model had a different engine (190 HP) which uses a chain.

Goodluck
  • marcusjymarcusjy Member Posts: 3
    If you were planning on keeping it for a while then I would say go with the 2k2. Nissan is still offering $1,000 rebate or 3.9% financing. There is nothing different between the 2k2 or 2k3 except that they offer the titanium pkg. on the 2k3 as an option, which has chrome wheels, titanium accented interior trim, compass in the mirror, and chrome door seals. Everything else both cosmetic and engine are the same, if you plan on keeping it a year 1 or 2 years then you may want to get the 2k3 so won't take a big hit on deprecation.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    Based on your experience with your previous max...it sounds like 2002 would be a better fit for you, plus like marcus said you can get the 3.9 financing for 60 mos. Either way you wont be disappointed.

BTW- I bought 2k2 max se last month, a majestic blue/frost leather demo with 1700 miles. Everything but meridian and navigation. Stickered for 29753 paid 26500. I think I got a good deal. Any input? So far, I have enjoyed the car, and its a hoot to drive.
    I would have told them to take off the rebate from invoice price, and then deduct some of the price for mileage that you are missing on the warranty for the car.

You did pretty well, I think. Although, even if you didn't, don't worry about it and chalk it up as a learning experience. Just enjoy the car! :)
    I went the 3.9 financing route...and I think they gave me a mileage adjustment because I paid 135 under invoice and well under TMV(per edmunds). If it wasnt the best deal, I can live with that, but I know it wasnt a bad deal(which would bother me).
  • sgrpwppsgrpwpp Member Posts: 3
    Haven't posted for a while, so here goes my 12000 mile update; been averaging 24-25mpg using 92 or 93 premium, no problems to report, other than the slight hassle of the electronic throttle and recent lateral link safety recall work. BTW, just got the new lateral links put on today at Central Carolina Nissan in Sanford (near Raleigh) NC. Two hours as promised, including the required alignment...I also got them to do an oil change and tire rotation. Good service dept., punctual appointments, and they actually let you hang around the car while it's being worked on, hand the tech the nuts and bolts, check your underbody and brake pads, etc. Really neat. I have a Frankencar intake installed, maybe even better MPG, certainly no less, and the ROAR up around 3-5000 rpm...sounds (and runs) like a Mustang Cobra!! 12,000 miles and nothing at all bad to report, this car is great!
    I'm in the process of receiving bids from all local dealers on a new 2002 Maxima SE (automatic), and have found that I can get $500 below invoice on base price of car, the options I want (leather, bose, sunroof) at wholesale, and 3.9% for 60 months. Do you think I could do better....ie, ask for $1000 below invoice? or is that being too greedy?? ;)
    Also, could I go out of state to purchase and avoid a sales tax?
    Base price under invoice, but options at wholesale?

What is the "out the door" price with options you want? I would think with the end of the model year and the fact the 03 maximas are already coming in you should be able to get "invoice" price without much haggling-possibly under.

You can go out of state to buy a car- but I dont think you can avoid sales tax. It varies from state to state where you pay it, here in OK you pay sales tax when you register the car.
    Even if you buy a car in another state, they will make you pay sales tax on it when you register it. So there is no winning way to do it. :)
    The deal(s) offered on a 2002 Maxima SE are:
    wholesale ($22871) minus $500 = $22371 plus wholesale options of leather ($1347), sunroof ($779), premium bose ($953), destination of $540, plus various doc fees, tag, title, etc of $400 = drive out price of $26390 (only thing not included is my state sales tax). Anyway, because this is a 2002 that the dealers want off their lot to make room for the 2003, can I ask for more off wholesale? How much more without being insulting? Thanks!! :)
    You can ask for what ever price you are willing to pay... :)

It sounds like this car is equipped like mine. Auto or stick? Perhaps ask for an even 26000?
    The deal sounds pretty good as is- so the bottom line is if you want the car IMO its not worth quibbling over a few hundred dollars, especially with the good incentives available on the 2k2 maxes. Your potential deal is already better than the one I got and I felt I did better than OK. I paid 26500 for 1700 mile demo. Stickered for 29753.
  • bxs98bxs98 Member Posts: 10
    I just got my new 2002 Maxima SE(6 miles) two weeks ago with 6-speed manual transmission, sunroof and bose system. The MSRP was $28135,I paid for $21315 plus tax & fee, the total out the door price was $23205. I think is a very good dear base on what you guys have disscused. There were 5 cars on sale for the same discount. I am wondered how the dealer survives by saling a car for $3000 below invoice.
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Can you tell me where they are giving this price? Location, web address or something. Sounds so good I may have to buy earlier than I planned.

Jim
  • jdog368jdog368 Member Posts: 14
    Hey Guys,

I bought a new 03 maxima se today. Options I got: Sunroof, floormats, titanium edition (bose, side airbags, compass on the mirror, etc), auto transmission, leather. After 4 hours of haggling, the final drive out price was $26,800 (before tax, title, etc). I think I could have knocked off 800 more but I got so sick of haggling. Well you guys said be aggressive...so I did. lol thanks a lot guys. The color I got is Polished Titanium. Do you guys know if there is heated mirrors for my car?

thanks,

Jerry
    Sounds like a really good deal for a 2003. Do you know what the sticker price was? (Around 29800?) Where did you buy?

Thanks,

Jim
  • jdog368jdog368 Member Posts: 14
    The sticker price was ALMOST at 30,000. They wanted 31,500 for it, after tax, title, and other taxes. I said I might as well go buy a BMW 325 or an IS 300 for that price. So yeah I think your number is right. I think I could have done better because I used to have an 01 GLE and I paid 25,800 for it, which had every option. I live in Atlanta, GA and I bought it from Peachtree Nissan. I wouldn't recommend buying there because they have very very bad service, but they gave the best price.

~Jerry
    Just because you buy the car at a particular dealership doesn't mean you have to have it serviced there as well. The warranty is good at any Nissan dealer in the US.
  • jdmckayjdmckay Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 GLE that has 43,000 miles on it. I am going to buy a new maxima this year. I would like input on what I should do. I am not sure I like the looks of the 2004, plus the usual first year problems that arise, lead me to want to buy a 2003 or a 2002. Are there any incentives on the Y2K2 or Y2k3 models? Have the 2003 been going for invoice? I would appreciate any input. Thanks
  • bxs98bxs98 Member Posts: 10
    I got my 2002 Maxima SE in Superior Nissan, Los Angeles, CA. Its web site: superiornissan.net. Past few weeks, they posted their ad on Wednesday's LA Time for $7000 off MSRP on all the 2002 SEs. Good luck for your new car search.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    JDMckay, why are you getting rid of the 2000,if you are looking for more power just mod it. Just curious.
  • jdmckayjdmckay Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to trade my GLE in while I still could get a good price on it. I've had it for 3 years, and I wanted to get something new. Hopefully, I will be able to get 15,500-16,000 trade in. I am also thinking about trying to sell it outright for 16,500-17,500. Anybody hear anything on the 2004 Maximas?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    You might want to look into the Infiniti G35. That is a very nice car and would be a good step up from the Maxima.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    has some new spy pics of the new Maxima. They just came in yesterday. I must admit, I don't like it much.
    Yes, Heated mirrors are standard.

You can go to

http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/ModelHomePage/0,9438,20360,00.html . Click on SE at bottom right then click at the right on View All Standard Features to see all that you got.
    To give you my 2 cents... The value of your present car will drop more after the 2004 comes out. Then again, the longer you keep your car, the less it is costing you per year as the car depreciates. Then again, it is always nice to drive a new car. I bought a 2003 GLE and because of lease, I got the same price on the 2003 as I was offered on the 2002. As of whether to buy 2002 or 2003, from what I see, you are looking to sell because of resale value of your older car. Well, resale is better on a 2003 bought now rather than a 2002 which is already 1 year old. If you were to keep it for many years then it would not matter much. You should try a few dealers as you may be able to get almost as good a price on the '03 as on the '02. Just look at the bottom line and see the difference between the two. If you like to buy a new car every 3 years for example, then look back and see the difference in value for a 2 year old car and a 3 year old car (or 3 and 4 year olds). See which difference is larger. If for example the 2 year old car has a 2500.00 higher value than the 3 year old and your purchase price on an '03 is $1000.00 more than an '02, them get the '03. You would still save 1500.00
    Can someone (especially someone with a 6-Speed) tell me how bad is the tourqe steer on the 2002 or 2003 Max? I had a 1999 Max-5-speed and the tourqe steer was real bad. With 65 more HP is it even worse or have they done something to help with this problem?

Thanks for your input,

Jim
    I rented a 2002 SE automatic, and the torque steer was pretty bad. So bad, in fact, that I think traction control should be standard. I have a 2002 1.8T (180hp turbo) Jetta, and the Maxima's torque steer is alot worse than the Jetta's, mainly because the Jetta has the ASR slip control.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I own a '02 GXE, and the torque steer is bad when you gun it, especially off of a turn. But I'm used to it so it's not dangerous or anything. Plus, I repeat that it's only when you really stamp the accelerator - you don't notice anything in regular driving.
    Thanks for all the advice on these boards! Last night I bought a 2002 Maxima SE automatic, 157 miles, Super Black with Frost leather, premium bose audio system, and sunroof for $25800 (plus my sales tax and docs brought it to a drive out price of $27700). I was able to finance $22000 for 60 months at 3.9% interest....which is a lot less than I can make on my money in my other investments! After driving this hunk of a car, I am in love and think I made a very good choice! It's worth every penny! To all who are also thinking about this car.....I'd say GO FOR IT!
  • djp2cdjp2c Member Posts: 39
    Sorry but I am P/Off.

If you put your email address on newsgroup or send it to me at gsd@canada.com I will email you a copy of the Tech Service Bulletin that was sent to me by a US Owner who had the Hood Bounce problem.

It was only in the models built before Nov/02.

The service bulletin is quite interesting and, to my knowledge has not been sent out in Canada yet.
  • dabronxrdabronxr Member Posts: 73
    I purchased a 2002 GLE in December. I am VERY happy with it. I tried to find an American car to compare it to. I have always bought American. But when you look at what the Max has to offer, there is no American comparison. Sure some of the competition has some great initial quality...but long term (even past one year in some cases)none compare. I have heard that the 2003 would be built in America. Unfortunately when Toyota started building in Amercica there was a dramatic drop in quality, I hate to say that. Every car I have bought in the past has been American made. When I bought this car I can honestly say it was best quality and bang for the buck for me. What I am getting at is, will there be any change in car quality if it is first year model being built in USA...Me thinks so, that is why I opted for the 2002, instead of waiting on the 2003.
    On a different note... My one regret on the Max was NOT getting the manual tranny. The car is a BLAST ...but IF ONLY I had the manny tranny! If anyone is on the fence about this car and another...don't even hesitate, Tha Max is a pleasure, and when needed a BEAST!
  • mney6mney6 Member Posts: 116
    But you need to keep your story straight and your numbers straighter.
    I beleive your 4994 post on what you paid but your second post is a Whopper
    Sorry, but just to correct you a bit.
    The 2003 is made in Japan. I am driving one. The new redesigned 2004 will be U.S. and is supposed to be available for sale in the first half or 2003.

Of course you never know but the new model will be in a new plant to Japanese specs....... I would hope that the quality will remain almost the same (I hope I am not wrong on that). I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    My 2k2 max was built in feb...and my hood bounces. I know there is a fix for this and have read the TSB...and according to nissan my car doesnt fall into range of problem cars. It appears the driveres side of the hood bounces more.
    A little confused...your numbers between the 2 posts(4994 and 4996) are not consistent. The numbers in your first post(4994) are more reflectant of what you were quoted in a post you made prior to you purchase. Either way, enjoy the car!
    Sorry for the discrepencies in my 2 messages about what I paid for my 2002 SE. I must have been very, very tired and didn't realize my typo. So, I deleted the message to avoid further criticism. bye......