Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    From the what it's worth dept..........

You really need to consider talking with the dealer
    who is trying to sell you the car and ask them to
    inspect it re the noise you heard and have not heard since. If they find a problem, you will insist that they repair it or you will not further
    consider buying it. You might also consider taking
    the car to someone else (other than the dealer) and
    have an independent inspection then go back to the
    dealer and tell them the results of the other
    inspection. (the independent inspection will
    probably cost you)
    Secondly, most states require that the seller
    state whether or not their car has ever been in-
    voled in an accident and if so, to provide the
    specifics of such accident to the purchasing
    dealer. Ask your seller (dealer) if they have that
    questionnaire on file and if necessary tell them
    why you are asking, i.e., you think it might have
    been involved in an accident. If they hedge, I
    think I would tell them you're not interested in
    the car and look at something else at another
    dealer. (I wouldn't trust them any further)

Good luck

berbel
  • BoomerBoomer Member Posts: 7
    Berbel, thanks for the input. I planned on doing just what you recommended. I was hoping someone would know what that sound might be. I would still be leary if the dealer re-inspected the car and said it was ok. I'm trying to find someone independent to look it over. It's a 2000 Maxima GLE with 30 k miles but it is not a certified vehicle (extended warranty). Why would it not be a certified vehicle? The dealer ran a CarFax and up to 23 k miles, there were no accidents but what about from 23 k to 30 k miles? It appears to be in great condition for $18,800 so I hate to lose it.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    TSB # 00-030 ( March 2000 ) refers to " Right Front Strut Noise " .........check
    it out with a " Reputable " dealer. Also, take it to a body shop and ask
    their opinion as to whether the vehicle was in an accident.

I think you should look around some more , unless someone can accurately
    diagnose the problem....not a lot of " What If's ". imho.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    All right gang, anyone heard this before? When using the "window down" feature of the remote (by holding the open button down for 3 seconds) both front windows are supposed to open fully per the manual (I think this was added in 01 or 02 models). Well about 1/2 the time my windows only open 2 inches then stop. I took my 02 SE 6 speed in for the front suspension recall and asked them to check out this problem. They called back and said the window is only supposed to open 2 inches but they could reprogram it for $60 to open fully. I said NO and said I would reread my manual first. Then they offered to reprogram for free. They allegedly did this, BUT the problem still exists.

Anyone else with this problem? Why would you reprogram the window down feature, this sounds like total BS from my less than stellar Service department?

Who can I call at Nissan headquarters to discuss this with?

OTHERWISE, great car, no issues except this silly window thing. I used my friends Gtech Pro timer and timed myself doing 0-60 times at 6.6 seconds. That Gtech pro is a neat gizmo; an accelerometer that plugs in to lighter and gives you 0-60, 60-0, 1/4 mile and HP figures

thanks, gg
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    My 02 GLE does the same thing: the window only opens two inches when I hold down the unlock button for three seconds. My remedy is to hold down the unlock button for another three seconds and then the front windows open all the way. A minor inconvenience, but I've gotten used to it.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    My 02 SE- same deal, have to push and hold twice to get 'em down all the way. A mild nuisance at most for me. What is annoying however is the driver is locked out from the other three windows when the window lock is engaged! Okay, who at Nissan was in charge of that
    project? :)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know what you mean. My 2001 Protege was the same way, makes no sense to me. I now have a 2002 Jetta, and the lockout only kills the back windows. I guess I can't win for losing! :)
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Interesting.

My 02 SE's windows go down all the way on the first try (after 3 seconds of course). But they sure as heck never stop halfway down.

Aren't modern automobiles just great?
  • bxs98bxs98 Member Posts: 10
    Hi gg2k2se,

Is there manufacture recall for 02 SE 6 speed front suspension? When you noticed? I own a 02 SE 6 speed for 2 months now but I don't know any recall. Is anyone out there know anything about this recall? Thanks
    For those of you that my have not gotten notification from Nissan, here's the text from nhtsa.com fro Recall # 02V146000

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE PIN AT THE END OF THE FRONT SUSPENSION TRANSVERSE LINK (LOWER CONTROL ARM) COULD BREAK WHERE IT IS MOUNTED TO THE FRAME.
    Consequence Summary:
    THIS CAN CAUSE A KNOCKING SOUND AND ABNORMAL STEERING. THIS COULD RESULT IN DIFFICULTY CONTROLLING THE VEHICLE AND INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
    Corrective Summary:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE TRANSVERSE LINKS ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT SIDES WITH NEW ONES. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JUNE 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT NISSAN AT 1-800-647-7261 OR INFINITI AT 1-800-662-6200.
    Yeah, I usually just press the button a 2nd time. Certainly minor but I was going in for the suspension anyway. What REALLY ANNOYED me was when they asked for $60 to "reprogram the window". I refused so they did it for free, but of course, the problem still remains.

A co-worker bought a BMW and everytime he takes it to the dealer they press him to come up with a problem with the car, no matter how minor, just so they can fix it. Not exactly Nissan service.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    that slimeball BMW service department is just trying to pad their warranty claims to BMW.
  • steviebstevieb Member Posts: 6
    Althought I have an Infiniti I35 (basically the same car), I have experienced the same problem. I've actually had it checked out on 2 different occasions when I've had it at the dealer for service, and they have been unable "to duplicate the problem". I've finally figured out why. My car will do one of two things:

1. It will respond to 2 pushes of the key fob (lights blink twice to confirm & doors all unlock), but if I hold the button on the 2nd push, the windows only go down about 1/3 of the way and stop. To get them to go down the rest of the way I have to push 2 more times and hold.

or

2. It will only respond to the 1st push of the button (driver's door unlocks, lights flash once), doesn not respond to the 2nd push of the button, then I have to push the button 2 more times to unlock the rest of the doors and hold the button on the 4th push. Then the windows will go all the way down.

I've found that the car will only "misperform" if it's been sitting for a couple of hours. If I try it right after I have driven it, or if I try it again after initially unlocking/having the windows go down, it works perfect everytime thereafter.

At least now I think I know how I can get it to "misperform" when I take in for service the next time, so the dealer doesn't think I'm crazy.

If anyone has successfully been able to get this problem diagnosed and corrected, I would sure like to here what the fix was.

Thanks
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I have an 02 SE. How far away are you guys when you try to put the windows down? I've noticed with my car, if I'm say 50 feet or more away, it only goes down the 2 inches, but when I'm close to the car (inside 10 feet), the windows go down all the way each time. By the way. Does anyone else think the remote key fob has an absurdly long range. I have literally locked/unlocked my car doors from about 75 yards! I have a 4 runner that will not lock/unlock outside of 20 feet. Just interested to know if mine some how has super powers.
    My window down failures all happen when I am within 10 feet of the car...I've been carefully testing it all summer long, trying to eliminate any variables.

My fob has normal range, nothing extraordinary, but as we all know it's style, not range that's important.

Well, at least we're talking fob problems instead of transmissions.

gg
  • skillmysterskillmyster Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know what the APR nissan is now offering on 2003 maximas? i am looking to buy one soon. i have a 1994 nissan altima and it has been a good car. did a lot of research and this car has a lot of great features for the money. want to get the SE in Sheer Silver with sunroof and titanium package(because i want that BOSE 6-disc CD changer). just want to get the lowest APR i can along with the best price. thanks
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    The new Max will be out next March, based on the Altima platform. A recent story in the press said Nissan/Infiniti has too many cars in the same general price range: Altima, Max, I35, G35, the new the new Nissan sports cars (350), etc. Article said Nissan will push Maxima upmarket a bit.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Considering a bit the idea of trading and getting into a Maxima.

Question....how easy to replace factory radio in Maxima....is it a double din or a proprietary radio? I want to have a car with an mini-input to hook up my mp3 jukebox......

thanks.
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    I've had no real problems with my windows on my '03 SE, but I have encountered an "X-File" with my door locks on two occasions lately. I've been using a product called Zaino to polish my new ride and since I've completed the process on the car, on two occasions the doors have locked when I've been rubbing the polish excess off. Now this stuff claims to be extremely anti-static to help to keep airborne dust off the car, but I'm wondering if the combination of the polish and the tires has created a static electric situation that somehow "grounds" itself when I touch it in certain situations, causing the doors to lock on their own (?) Has anyone had a similar experience? It's not the end of the world but it sure is a little strange (...and my wife assures me that she's not playing games from inside the house with the other remote just to mess with me, ...can she be trusted????)
    Have you also spotted crop circles around your house? :)
  • 66falcon66falcon Member Posts: 17
    Yea, I've never had a car that locks the doors on its own until my '01 GLE, and yea I use Zaino, too(pretty great stuff, by the way). I have a habit of leaving the keys in the ignition overnight in the garage( a really rural area I live in), and more frequently than I'd like, I'll come out the next morning and find the doors locked. I've wondered if my wife while in the house and looking for something in her purse maybe trips her remote without even knowing it. And, yea, as somebody earlier mentioned, these remotes are powerful.

In a different vein, I wonder if somebody could comment on what a mechanic told me today when I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation. This guy told me to be sure and retorque my lug nuts after 25 miles of driving. This is only the 2nd time I've had a car with alloys, but I've had rotations done a number of times on my last two cars, and no one ever mentioned such a thing. Sorry if this is a pretty elementary question, but I'd just never heard about this before. I mean, don't they tighten those nuts with some sort of really powerful air wrench?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My Honda S2000's doors are designed to relock automatically after about 30 seconds if the remote has been used to unlock the doors, but neither door is actually opened. I have experienced this when washing the car (i.e. use remote to unlock doors, but don't open one immediately). Perhaps the Maxima also does this, and it's just coincidental that you are waxing the car at the time??
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I think re-torquing is only needed when the rims are new. The idea is that the rims are 'breaking' in and may compress a little, so re-torquing may be needed to ensure a tight lug fit. Here's a link from tirerack.com (read the very last paragraph):

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/package_install.html

Also, those air wrenches are bad news because over-torquing can cause a few problems as well (warped rotors, etc). Investing in a good torque wrench (< $40) might be a good idea.

• vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    I've got an '01 SE with the CC package - bought it new (2 miles). Car now has 14,500 miles and I have been getting the oil changed every 3,000 miles, +_ and have had the RE92s rotated once. I am considering going to the dealer for their prescribed service for the 1 year service but it seems like a real rip-off. Here is what their "Service Level 3" consists of;
    Oil / filter change
    27 point safety inspection
    Replace air filter
    Inspect brakes, exhaust system, steering gear componants, CV boots and suspension parts.
    Set engine timing.
    Adjust fan belts.
    Set cooling system.
    Rotate tires as required.
    Check shocks & struts.
    Service battery.
    Clean and adjust brakes.
    The price that they want for this is $275 plus tax. Some of that stuff seems un-neccessary unless there are some kind of symptoms. My car has been flawless. Not even a squeak or rattle for the most part. There is a "Service level 2" which is a 7500 mile / 6 month service which consists of;
    Oil / filter
    Lube chasis & hinges
    27 point safety inspection
    Top off all fluids
    Rotate tires as needed
    Inspect brakes, exhaust system, steering gear componants, CV boots and suspension parts.
    Set engine timing.
    Adjust fan belts.
    Clean & adjust brakes.
    This service = $160. The only thing that I see that I should get and is not included at the 7500 mile service is the air filter. Niether of these "service levels" includes the in cabin filter replacement which I think goes for around $100 more or less.
    I can get the basic stuff done at my local Midas, (oil/filter, rotate, lube, air filter and basic inspection probably for quite a bit less $$ but I wouldnt want them touching the engine. My gas mileage is not bad and car performs fine so the engine timing must be alright so it doesn't need to be checked. What do you think - should I spend the extra $$ for dealer service and be (logistically) inconvinienced or is the (tried and true) Midas place alright? Just looking for opinions. Thanks all.
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    I fell into that trap with my local dealer when I first had my '97 SE. I tried to follow their "recommended service schedule" because I was worried about having a new more sophisticated car than I had ever owned before, but after about a year or two realized that I was just wasting money. Sure, the dealer has the so-called expertise (hopefully), but they also had the highest prices and the longest list of things that "needed" to be done each time. My opinion would be to follow the owner's manual as closely as you can, consider the type of driving you do the most of, and don't worry too much. Regular maintenance, such as oil changes, are a no-brainer, but the really hi-tech sort of stuff that they recommend should be approached with some common sense. These cars are really built well and most things will not become troublesome unless you notice a definite problem. My '97 was practically bullet-proof. Aside from an oxygen sensor after the second year and a bent rim thanks to a pot-hole in the fourth year, I only worried about oil-changes, tire-rotations, and topping up my fluids. My car had 145000 km (91000 miles) on it when I sold it to purchase my new '03 SE, and the car ran as good as new. The new owner has no idea how excellent a used car he got from me! Anyway, everyone has an opinion and that's mine.
    My '95 SE was bullet-proof too in the 4+ years I had it. Zero warranty repair other than those pesky O2 sensors that needed replacement 4 times. Mechanically it was like new when I sold it and I felt 110% confident the new owner inherited an excellent car.
    Nissans do not have auto-relock like Hondas do, so the situations encountered by hammer and falcon are unexplainable. In falcon's case, it's even more weird because I don't believe you can even lock the car when the key is in the ignition. It's the anti-lockout feature.

BTW, falcon, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to leave the key in the ignition overnight even if you live in safe area and no one will steal your car. You could inadvertently drain your battery by leaving accessories on. Doesn't leaving the key in the ignition overrides the auto-off feature for the headlights?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You didn't say how long you owned the car and how much milage you put on it per year. As I recall from my 1995 owners manual, there were two recommended service schedules: one for "hard" driving - low milage city driving and one for "regular" driving.

I put roughly 16k-20k mostly highway miles a year on my 1995 and have gone to skipping the 7.5k mile service intervals. I still change the oil every 4k miles. If I were you, I might be tempted to go with whatever the "standard" 15k mile service entails, but then consider skipping the 7.5k mile intervals, especially if you are putting 15k+ miles per year of relatively easy driving on the car.
  • oilers1oilers1 Member Posts: 17
    Run away from that dealer fast, some of the things on that list make no sense.
    Adjust engine cooling?????
    Set timing, controlled by the ECM, no adjustments necessary
    Adjust fan belts, no such thing as the fans are electric.
    Clean and adjust brakes, go to the wand wash and hose them down to clean them. Parking brake is the only brake that can be adjusted. Does your parking brake hold on a grade? If so it doesn't need to be adjusted.
    Service the battery--they clean the terminals (if necessary) and add distilled water (if necessary).
    Does you car stop well, are all the lights working? You've just performed your own safety check. The only thing that is necessary is the oil change and maybe the rotation. The air filter (I assume engine) is due to be changed at 30k mi, but it doesn't hurt to pull it out and take a look at it. Max you need to spend is $50 IMHO. Dealers will do everything in their power to make you spend more $$$$$.
  • skillmysterskillmyster Member Posts: 4
    just looked at www.carmax.com (location in g'ville south carolina in particular) and they sell new nissans. they have a '03 SE with sunroof, floor mats and trunk mat for $24,698. the MSRP is $27,226 and the invoice price is $24,772. they what they call a NO HAGGLE PRICE so $24,698 is what they are selling for which is BELOW invoice!! great deal expecially being a '03.
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    Thanks to all of you who replied to my message and to those who may follow this. The way my car is running, (perfect), I am leaning on staying away from dealer service and going to my local Midas - I've used them for my previous "car care" and was always satisfied. I wouldnt use them for anything other than routine maintanance, most likely, untill the warranty runs out - but then again, my first year with this car which will be 8/31 and around 15,000 miles by then has given me confidance that I got a "good one". My only concern is brakes - warping rotors I have read many times on this board, have been a problem for some. My brakes are so far, so good.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    Just to chime in with my experience on my 2k maxima concerning the car locking itself automatically. When I first got my maxima, there was an incident where i got stuck in a snowbank...and got out to examine how deep my car was in the snow while the car was still on. well, i closed my driver door not thinking otherwise, and guess what.. the car door locked!! the spare key was 2 hours away but who knew it would lock on it's own?! so $65 later and a locksmith, i was back in my car... i care a spare in my wallet all the time now.. and yes, i've noticed that it does lock on it's own....sometimes.. very rarely, but it does happen.

Dealer service - i truly believe that maxima's have superior build quality and all it requires are oil changes, tire rotated every 7500 miles, transmission oil and coolant changed every 30k or so miles (could be more - have to check manual - but i feel better knowing the fluids are clean - i drive 15k miles a yr) i just dont believe that the prices the dealers ask you to pay for their services are worth it. do they even do these services when you bring in your car when it's under 60k miles.. such as the "set engine timing" or the "inspect joints"?? i doubt it.

every 10k miles, go buy yourself a new ac/delco air filter for $8 and pop it in. beats paying the over inflated prices these dealers charge you. 2k maxima gle running as new. -kyle
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Yep, Carmax does offer great deals, I live about 45 miles away from the location in Greenville, South Carolina, and they are EXCELLENT! No doubt about it.
    My 02 SE's owners manual states on page 3-7 that all doors lock automatically if you press the unlock button and don't open the doors. This should happen within 5 minutes. They should not lock automatically with the keys in the ignition. Maybe Nissan hasn't perfected this technology yet.
  • jolarjolar Member Posts: 17
    Man, you guys gave me all the perfect segways. Ok, I have an 02 SE 6, unlocked my car from inside the house, to go out 20 minutes later, and it is locked, thought I was dreaming, this explains sometimes when my car has been locked. So the manual seems accurate on that note.

Also, you can lock the doors with the key in ignition, do it all the time, like when cruisin' the hood. Or did you mean when the car is off though? And if the key is placed straight into the ignition, or having been just turned off all the way, and not turned, it won't activate any accessories or trigger the auto lights. (my wife leaves keys in car all the time...over night etc.)

Of course my Rover key can be left on w/ engine off, radio, lights, whatever, doors opened, and it will shut all power down after 20 minutes. It also allows you to use power for 20 minutes after removing the key, slick huh? But I digress - -

Also, I was leaning in to buckle my kid in the car seat, keys jammed in pocket somewhere, and the front 2 windows powered themselves down! My daughter said "how did mommy do that?" After playing with the FOB (love that word, FOB) If you hold the unlock button down, after about 4 sec, it downs the front windows! Cool huh? But they fobbed up when they didn't include functionality to close them with the FOB?1?1? Seems more important, like if it's raining and you are inside or running for the car, er something.

Airbags - I have these little Airbag Tags on the outside edge of the head rests, does this mean I have the side Airbags? (cause I didn't pay for 'em)

My dealer is whack, they also forgot to collect $1200 of my down money, they finally billed me for $163 - I questioned nothing. (don't rat me out please! heh heh)
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    I cant lock my doors when my keys are in my ignition of my 97SE or 02SE.
    Is this a new feature for '02 because to my knowledge Maximas (or all Nissans for that matter) have never had passive lock/arm.

But aggiedog, does the manual state specifically that it relocks within 5 minutes? 5 minutes seems like an awfully long time for the relock to kick in. Hondas, for example, will relock, rearm within 15 - 30 seconds.
    Side airbags come standard on the SE, at least in Canada, so you did pay for them. However, the $1200 uncollected down payment..... Wow, I'd buy from that dealer!
  • bdlfebdlfe Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone think it is not too much trouble for nissan dealers to offer a service loaner for the recall service? Has anyone been able to get this from their dealers? Mine is giving me "free" shuttle...one way, I have to bother someone to drive me back to get my car! Thanks for your input.
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    My 2001 Maxima has the same auto-lock feature.
    And it is stated right in the Manual? The lack of auto relock was one thing I didn't like about my '95 SE, so I remember asking the dealer about it when the new style came out in 2000. And he said nope, no auto relock. Maybe new for 2001 and later? And it takes 5 minutes to relock? Maybe they figure it would take people at least that long to gather up the kids and lock up the house!!
    The manual does state that the doors will lock within 5 minutes. My 4Runner re-locks in about 30 seconds. I've never timed it but it does work.

Jolar - Headrest tags - If your tags on the headrest say air bags, they may have put the wrong tags on your headrest. In cars with side air bags the air bag tags are on the side of the front seats (door side). There is a different tag on the headrest that reads Active Headrest (what ever that is).
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I have a 2000 SE, I have recently been told from one person that I need to WAX my car, yet I was told that when I purchased my car from the dealer, that with the Clear Coat Finish I would not ever need to wax. Who do I listen to? Should I wax?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Just because a car has a clearcoat finish on it doesn't mean that you don't wax it! You should wax the car at least once per year, or when the water stops beading on the paint, to keep the paint looking nice.
    Thank you. I don't know why my Nissan dealer would tell me that. Maybe I should write the Nissan Corp regarding this. I appreciate your advice, I will get some wax asap!
    Well, I just spoke with a Nissan Body Shop technician that has been dealing with painting, and appearance for several years. He said that if you want to help with the pollutants in the air to keep such from sticking to your finish, then getting a Clear Coat Wax would help that, but as far as giving it more shine, no wax was necessary for Clear Coat finishes. And sure, it would make rain bead up again, but it will not help with the shine. I still may run to my local auto shop and pick up a bottle of this Clear Coat Wax just for my own peace of mind.

Next opinion.......
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I've heard you're not suppose to wax within the first six months because the paint/clearcoat is still 'curing' or something. But you definitely can't rely on just the clearcoat for the life of the car! Guy was probably selling you a line of bull to make the car seem better.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    On a new car, wax will not do much for shine, but it will protect the clearcoat. Your car will thank you for it 4-5 years down the road!
    My service dept has promised to get me an answer on why the windows don't do all the way down when opened with the fob. I think the main reason for this feature is to allow the hot air to escape before you get into the car on a summer day.

My middle-aged mind may be wrong, but I believe the "active headrest" is mounted on a pivot inside the seat so if you are rear-ended, your back pushes into the seat and the headrest moves forward slightly to prevent whiplash. I believe Volvo has already had this for several years. Yes, the tag says "active headrest".

As for waxing, I'm not a groupie, but I think zaino wax (zainobros.com) is the best I've used. It really shines and I think another layer of stuff on top of the clearcoat is a good idea.

Anyone else used zaino?

Happy fobbing, gg
  • pbhattipbhatti Member Posts: 87
    This was posted on altimas.net by pl8948. This might be reason why some cars autolock in 5 minutes, 1 minute or not at all.

13 tweaks you probably didn't know about

After reading a couple of threads about adjusting the sensitivity of the automatic on/off feature for my Xenons, I decided to pay a visit to my dealer. Well, it turns out that once the car is hooked up to the dealer&#146;s diagnostic computer, they can change several other settings at the same time.

My dealer (Trophy Nissan, Mesquite TX &#150; also the operator of www.nissanwholesaleparts.com) told me that these settings are not listed in the owner&#146;s manual, or even in the books the repair guys use. He says the only reason they know about the settings is from a training course they had to take before the 2002 Altima came out. They even made their own worksheet so Trophy&#146;s customers can fill it out before their car is hooked up to the computer. Here are the settings you can change and the appropriate modes:

Door Lock/Unlock (with single click on keyfob)
    Mode 1: Unlock left front door only
    Mode 2: Unlock all doors

Anti-lock Out (prevents locking keys in car)
    Mode 1: Master door lock switch can activate door locks w/ key in ignition
    Mode 2: Master door lock switch cannot activate door locks w/ key in ignition

Dome Lamp Timer
    Mode 1: Interior lamp comes on when left front door is unlocked
    Mode 2: Interior lamp does not come on when left front door is unlocked

Retained Power (Amount of time windows and sunroof will operate after turning off ignition)
    Mode 1: 45 seconds
    Mode 2: No delay (Will not operate after ignition key is turned off)
    Mode 3: 2 minutes

Auto Light On (headlights turn on as it gets dark)
    Mode 1: Factory setting
    Mode 2: Lights come on sooner than factory setting
    Mode 3: Lights come on later than factor setting
    Mode 4: Lights come on later than Mode 3

Head Lamp Battery Saver (applies when headlights left in &#147;on&#148; position, not in &#147;auto.&#148;
    Mode 1: Shuts lamps off after 5 minutes
    Mode 2: No time delay (headlights turn off immediately)

Headlamp Illumination delay (time headlights remain on after exiting car when headlight is in the &#147;auto&#148; position)
    Mode 1: 45 seconds
    Mode 2: No Delay (lights turn off immediately)
    Mode 3: 30 Seconds
    Mode 4: 1 minute
    Mode 5: 1 ½ minutes
    Mode 6: 2 minutes
    Mode 7: 2 ½ minutes
    Mode 8: 3 minutes

Hazard and Horn Reminder Mode (key fob allows you to choose between modes 1 & 2, but there are 4 others)
    Mode 1 (C Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 2 (S Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 3: Lock = 0 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 4: Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 5: Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 6: Lock = 0 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn

Remote Auto Locking Function Mode (Doors automatically lock after exiting car)
    Mode 1: 5 minute delay
    Mode 2: Function disabled
    Mode 3: 1 minute delay

Remote Panic Alarm Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
    Mode 1: .5 seconds
    Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Trunk Open Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
    Mode 1: .5 seconds
    Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Power Window Down Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
    Mode 1: 3 seconds
    Mode 3: 5 seconds