Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    Well, you said the magic word (30K). That is what I am worried about in order to get everything I would like. Independent suspension, AWD, =>280HP, better paint job, upgrade interior, sunshade, 5-Speed Automatic etc.

Jim
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    I have an '87 Maxima SE and love it, but wonder whether Nissan is now headed in a Pontiac direction: huge power increases, tacky boy racer styling, etc. Current Altima seems headed in that direction. Saw a picture of the forthcoming '04 Maxima, radical styling which had huge blind spots between side and rear windows, etc. Hope Nissan does not go that route.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Back when I bought a 1995 Maxima SE in September 1994, the automotive press gave the car high accolades but jumped all over the rear end design. Which to me, even 8 years later, is not all that bad looking. A little "heavy", but not that much different than the 5-series. The rest of the car was preety clean and uncluttered, including the body color modling and "shadowline" window trim.

Now, it seems, the newer Nissan's and Infiniti's seemed designed by committee and, IMO, the G35 sedan makes the rear end of the 1995 Maxima look beautiful by comparison. Infiniti just e-mailed me information about the new M45 sport sedan. It may have a lot going for it, but the exterior and interior looks are an absolute non-starter for me. The Altima and Maxima appear to be designed to look like they were modified BEFORE leaving the factory. Not my style - I'll take a 530i sport 5-speed, thank you very much.

I hadn't thought about the Pontiac comparison, but that's probably a good analogy. And I have never and would never own one.
    Good points.

To differentiate the forthcoming '04 Maxima from the Altima, Nissan will probably increase the horsepower even more, possibly to 280, which is clearly overkill and excessive for this car. The big 17-inch wheels also mean a wider and more cumbersome turning circle, etc. Nissan: don't abandon function and engineering for styling overkill, boy racer design, and gee whiz looks.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    You guys have touched on some issues which have
    had me in a quandry for the last couple of months.

Own a '00 SE and will trade on either a '03 or '04.
    There lies the quandry which will probably boil down to a value judgement this coming year.

Do I trade for the '03 which is still made in Japan
    or trade for the '04 which is rumored to have rwd,
    and fully independent suspension but made in the
    USA with "maybe questionable build quality."

I do have issues with the beam rear suspension. I
    find it does tend to fishtail under the circumstan-
    ces described above by others. Accordingly, I think
    fully independent suspension would be a blessing
    with negligible impact on flat steering response.

I do believe that the biggest doubt I'll have to
    wrestle with between the '03 and '04 will continue
    to be the country of origin. I can't help but be-
    lieve others will share this concern.

Possibly some input from others who share this
    board will help with my decision!!

berbel
    I seriously doubt that Nissan will downgrade the
    interior of the '04 Max to the cheesy, cheap looking FoMoCo look of the Altima. The Max is their
    flagship model and the interior is part of the "total look" of the
    Maxima. Warning to Nissan: Downgrade the interior
    of the Max and I'll be in a Acura showroom looking
    at a TL "Type S"

berbel
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You might be in the Acura showroom looking at a TL, but you will be in the repair shop with it in about 2K miles, having the tranny replaced. It seems to be a very common problem. A couple of people on the TL-S board have had their trannies replaced already, one at 2K miles.
    Accords and Camrys have been built in this country for years, with superb reliabiliity records. The current suspension is the car's achilles heel, and I would certainly wait for the '04s on that basis. However, I think the next Maxima will be considerably more expensive (to distinguish it from the Altima), bigger, more powerful (unnecessarily so perhaps), etc. And if the picture I saw is accurate, with atrocious blind spots to the rear. Wait until March and you will have your choice between the new one and the leftover old one.
    Popular Mechanics, Sept. issue, has a picture and description of the '04 Max. Will have 260hp, with the SE more. Possible AWD. Debuts in February. Will retain FWD, built on the Altima platform.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    WHY IS 280HP OVERKILL?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Berbel - I think if you're shopping in the $22-25k range, you should get an '03 because I have a feeling that the '04 will be more expensive. If you're in the $25-30K range, I'd wait to see what the '04 has to offer. Personally, I'm not as bothered about the "Japanese-made vs. American-made" issue as I am about the "first model year" issue. By November they'll be giving us info on the '04 and if you don't like what you hear there'll still be plenty of '03s.
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    The multi-link beam suspension, inferior as it may be, was at least refined in 2002 through the use of thicker front and rear stabilizer bars, the adoption of larger and softer trailing link bushings and the relocation of the system's lateral link to behind the rear beam.
    Thanks for your input. These are issues to consider. VOCUS/I was totally unaware of the
    tranny problems you cited. Is this problem found
    only in the TL or is it prevalent in the CL (the
    coupe) as well? The CL "Type S" has been marketed
    for the last couple of years and I had not heard
    of the tranny problem you cited

Thanks/berbel
    I don't know if it affects the CL (I thought it did, but don't quote me), but I know it affects the TL and TL Type-S. Read the "Acura TL-S" board right here on Edmunds to find out. I am sure there is a CL board somewhere too, on the Coupes/Hatchbacks side.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Depends on how much torque-steer you want? How much stress tou want on the front tires, already carrying most of the cars weight, and steering response.

whotheman
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    So if the new Maxima is going to be AWD and have 260hp, then it will also most likely weigh more because it will be bigger, correct? That most likely also means the added horsepower won't help that much if they get too big.

See, that doesn't make sense. I think it might send current Maxima buyers to look at Altima's. But then again, maybe that is what Nissan wants.

Me? I am quite happy with my 02 SE model. It was built in Japan, and BOY can you tell. Not one rattle or odd noise in it. Plus, reliable as "all get out". 17,500 miles and the only problem has been the suspension recall. I would only trade it for a Z car since they are still made in Japan.

Foreign cars made in the States scare me, because my 99 CL was a rattle and tranny nightmare for the most part.

Obi
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    The Multi-link Beam Suspension was not upgraded in 2002 (as Nissan would have you to think). The info about the 2002 upgrade of the suspension happens to be the same as the 2000... Nissan just did a "copy & paste" of the information (not so smart!). :)
    What type of tranny problems did you have in your CL?

Funny you mention this, I was just talking about this about 10 posts ago. It's all over the TL-S forum here on Edmunds.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I cannot quote a source, but it was common knowledge when I bought my 1995 Maxima SE that the Accord and Camry did indeed have many more manufacturing defects and fit and finish problems when production was first moved from Japan to the US. It took at least a couple of years for them to get the bugs and quality control issues worked out.

I bought an S2000 last fall and admit that one of the factors that influenced me was that it was hand built in Japan in the same factory that produces the NSX. I wasn't really considering the Z3, but a little research concluded that BMW still hasn't solved all of their US qualty control problems.

Perhaps "US built" by itself is not really a serious issue. And perhaps "first year model" isn't either (hasn't been for my 1995 Maxima). But for the 2004 Maxima to be a completely new model built in the US? I waited until the 2002 model for Honda to correct some little bugs in the 2000/2001 S2000; I would certainly wait to see how the 04 Maxima fares before buying.
    All of your comments and observations have made for
    interesting reading re the '03 vs. '04 subject.
    Thanks to all for expressing your opinions.
    Received the latest issue of Car and Driver in the
    mail yesterday. They had a one-page critique of
    the '03 Max SE. Can't quote varbatim (don't have
    the mag in front of me) but they made some interesting statements about Nissan and the Max.
    They said that they wondered what happened to the
    Max that made their "10 best list" twice. (They
    don't think the car is worthy to be on it now)
    They criticized Nissan for being "greedy" for
    substituting the cheaper beam rear suspension in
    lieu of independent suspension. They implied that
    the Max being sold now is inferior to the ones
    that made their "10 best list" circa 1995. They
    implied that the Max is becoming a dinosauer in
    a world of rear drive and all wheel drive cars.
    They also suggested that adding the "six-speed"
    transmission would help a little (apparently they
    believe not much) to return the Max to the realm
    of a sports sedan.....a moniker that they apparently believe the 1995 model deserved but the
    present models (starting in 2000) definitely do
    not deserve. They create the impression (at least
    with me) that they believe that Nissan has done
    a disservice to the Max and Max buyers by somehow
    "lessening" what a Maxima should be as opposed to
    what it has become through evolution from 1995.

berbel
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    That's interesting because the circa-1995 Max that did make Car and Driver's 10 Best List was the first one to have the beam suspension. They didn't seem to mind it at the time.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I do not want to start a war with this, but, briefly, one of the POSSIBLE reasons that Japanese cars built in America are often better than their Big 3 counterparts is the issue of unionized labor, i.e. UAW...the Japanese auto plants are nonunion, which means that a derelict worker can be eliminated in a day or so...if a derelict worker is found in a UAW plant with GM, Ford or Chrysler, it takes two years of grievance hearings before the worker can be fired... while the 2 years is passing, the worker is kept on the line, continuing to make his share of a shoddy product...I am expressing my opinion, so keep flaming to a minimum...
    You're wrong about unionized plants. There are several Japanese plants in this country that are UAW (joint Toyota-GM plant in Fremont, Calif. producing Corollas, a Mazda plant in Mich., , a Mitsubishi plant in Illinois). Quality is uniformly high in these unionized plants. And the grievance procedure in unionized plants does not work the way you claim. Let's cool the anti-union rhetoric. American workers are suffering plenty these days with layoffs, pension woes, skyrocketing health care costs, etc. It's the Detroit guys at the top that can't design cars that Americans want to buy.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, folks, this is not the place ... those arguments, er, conversations are all over the place on the News & Views board.

;-)
    My 99 3.0CL had the old 94-97 Accord Tranny, so I don't think it would apply to the problems they are speaking of on the TL-S. I must have just had a little bad luck with mine. It never was replaced, but it shifted roughly and had a hard time figuring out what gear it should be in.

Back to Maxima's!
    I can only surmise that Car & Driver did not have
    sufficient time in 1995 to sufficiently "analyze"
    the "dynamic impact" of the rear beam suspension
    on the "maxness" of our beloved sedan...:-)

The "berbel"
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    After 64,000 trouble free miles and only routine repairs I'm saying good by to my reliable Maxima. I'm looking into something more up scale (GS430).

Is $15,000 a fair asking price for a 2000 SE Auto no Bose or leather but everything else?

TIA
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Nice upgrade!

Try asking the same question on the "Real world trade-in values" under the smart shopper section and some extremely knowledgeable people will give you a good price to shoot for. Just be sure and give them all of the specifics including exterior and interior condition, mileage, options, model and location in the US.

Good luck.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Link: Real-World Trade-In Values

Good luck.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    I don't think your CL had a tranny problem per se. I think that's the way those units performed back then. I remember C & D were particularly thrilled with the V6/auto combo when the V6 was first introduced in the Accord.
  • 10010011001001 Member Posts: 1
    I hope this is the right place to ask. I'm looking at buying my first Maxima and I have 2 questions:

1) How does the leather interior hold up on the Maximas? (I've never owned leather)

2) Is it possible to get a new 2002 GLE for under 25K? (I'm trying to stay around 23K) If I can't, I may have to wait and buy a low-mileage used GLE.

Thanks to anyone who can help!
    You are right. I remember seeing C&D say that as well. Something called "Grade Control Logic" on my 99 CL was not one of my favorite things. Maybe that is why it was always shifting up and down. Not my cup of tea as it was a jerky shifter in the first place. I think they were going for a sport feel. They went a little too far, IMO.

My Maxima shifts like "butta"!
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    Maybe you can...depending where you live. In my area not likely. If this helps I got a good deal an 02 SE, auto. Stickered for for 29755, paid 26500. Keep your eyes open...and if you find one you won't be disappointed. As for the leather, I have not heard anything bad about the materials used. Good luck.
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    C & D weren't thrilled with the V6/auto..... but I think obi got my drift.

BTW, there is another person on TH called obiwankenobi. Did you "borrow" his handle by adding the "1"? :)
    You're not into leather? I have a '97 Max SE with leather. Holding up ok, but there's a long crack on the driver's seat that I'm afraid may some day split open. I'm not overweight. It might be a fluke. Leather generally classes up the interior. I have friends who drive leather and think cloth seats in a car looks cheap.
    At least give these guys at Car & Driver credit for not being afraid to insult their advertisers. Most consumer hobby magazines are puppets of the advertisers and you have to read between the lines to get the writer's' actual opinions or to get even a hint of criticism. The macho writers for C & D tell it like it is, and I think enjoy bringing the big boys down. I would give them two cheers for their criticism of the Max, although, except for the rear suspension, it's still a great car and, at the prices they go for, an even greater bargain.
  • verde2verde2 Member Posts: 1
    hey all-
    I got this deal by a dealer. not sure how good it is. ANY HELP/OPINION/ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

*fully loaded 2003 SE,
    with:
    leather package
    meridian package
    titanium package + sunroof
    traction control package
    last but not least, splash guards
    (has everything BUT navigation)

black car with black leather or
    blue car with black leather

without taxes, $25,413

+ destination fee of $540
    + inspection by nissan (forgot what this was called... basically to remove the plastic, clean up glue, etc) $349

am I getting ripped off? thanks-
    verde2
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    Hi all, I know this has been covered in past postings but I can't find them - has anyone had a problem with a vibrationg hood at highway speeds? I just returned from a LONG trip thru the States in my '03 SE and I noticed a slight vibration or shake on the driver's side of my hood at higher speeds (60 to 70 mph). I plan to contact Nissan and ask about it, but have any of you experienced this in the past? - and what was your resolution. Thanks!
    "Inspection by Nissan?" What's that? The dealer's got quite an imagination. Dealer prep is built into the price of the vehicle. It should be labed ADP (additional dealer profit). Add it all up. How close to invoice is it?
  • t57t57 Member Posts: 1
    I'm really interested in buying an 02' or 03' SE fully loaded with everything but leather. Seeing that the redesign is coming soon, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to wait until early next year when the dealers are trying to off load the current model. Any thoughts? I've priced both years with options and it seems like the 03' model is a better value because the options are grouped differently....
    That "dealer inspection" they are trying to charge you is their advertising fee. I wouldn't really pay that if I were you, because you don't have to. Why should you pay for Nissan to advertise the car, right? :)

That does sound like a good price though. What's the MSRP on the car you are looking at?
    Verde:

I agree with VOCUS. If that "inspection" fee is
    some duplicitous way to hide "advertising costs"
    just tell them you are not going to pay it. I commented on this subject once before on this
    board. ADVERTISING is "cost of doing business"
    just like paying homeowners insurance is cost of
    owning a home. When I bought my Max they tried to
    hammer me with the same thing. I simply told them
    I wasn't paying it and it came off the paperwork!
    Also.....I think you have a pretty good price on
    the new SE. Good luck.

berbel
    There is a TSB for hood vibration...but from the way the bulletin is worded late 02's (and assuming03's) are "not" supposed to be affected. The left(drivers) side of my hood on my '02 SE bounces/vibrates at highway speeds as well. Nissan has a fix for it, so it should not be a problem. My 02(built in Feb) falls outside the VIN range of affected cars.
    The 02's and 03's are essentially the same with the only real difference being the titanium package. If you want to buy now you will likely get a better deal on an 02- Plus get the low financing or $1000 rebate. I cant speak for all the SE's across the country...but I have seen very few SE's (02 or 03) that do not have leather. About a month ago I saw one silver 03 SE at the dealer I bought my 02 from that was a cloth 6 speed. The dealer told me that is a rare combination. I know the 6 speed alone is hard enough to find. Good luck
    There is really someone on here with the name "obiwankenobi"??? Wow. Interesting. I have had "obiwankenobi1" since 1999 because someone already had "obiwankenobi"

I guess he was here first! :(

Obi
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I will stand (partially) corrected, as some of your comments are true...I agree with you about "picking on the guys" due to layoffs and such, but that still doesn't change the fact that cars made by Japanese makers seem to have a better quality rep than the cars made by our union boys (and girls) over here, and every buyer out there really wants as much quality as their money can buy...later...
  • jazzermpjazzermp Member Posts: 6
    Greetings. I'm new to the list and need some advice from Maxima SE owners. I am seriously considering purchase of a 2000 Maxima SE 5 speed, dark green, beige velour interior, sun roof, a few other small options. The car has 37,000 miles on it, looks great, and drives great. This will be my first Nissan - replacing a 94 Probe GT 5 speed. Asking price is $18,995 - a bit high according to Edmonds - at an Acura dealer. Any problems that I should be looking for? I have an excellent AAA shop that I can take it for evaluation - I figure it's worth the $50 they will charge for a complete look over. Would appreciate any advice on this ASAP!
    Thanks,
    JazzerMP
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    My lease of 2000 Maxima GXE is almost over.
    I scheduled ITS inspection next week. I enjoyed every moment driving it. Car is 2.5 years old, 30K miles and I was offered $12.800 trade in price by Nissan dealler. I was also trying to get new Camry but could not get more than $13.500. And of course they wanted to sell new car for MSRP. So I checked with NMAC and I have to pay only $250
    as early termination fee. This is lower than I expected. I want to return it earlier to avoid charges for tires later on.
    I want to get used Nissan now (2001 or 2002 model) and let somebody else pay 1st year deprisiation. $5000 for one year is too mach. I like the car but I don't like to waist money.
  • nikolaikinnikolaikin Member Posts: 17
    Jazzermp, I bet they bought it for $15000 a max.
    Give them $15500 for this car. Check your local newspaper for how much people selling this car.
    You'll be amaized.
    Good luck.
  • mrmc1mrmc1 Member Posts: 2
    I’m hoping that someone on this board can help me get some information straight. I have a Consumer Guide Used Cars & Trucks book for 2002. Inside it lists average repair costs for each model reviewed. For the fourth and (fifth) generation Maximas it shows the following costs:

A/C Compressor $625 ($705)
    Alternator 450 (290)
    Automatic Transmission or
    Transaxle 1080 (1310)
    Brakes 210 (455)
    Constant Velocity Joints 1145 (740)
    Clutch, Pressure Plate, Bearings 515 (635)
    Exhaust System 375 (480)
    Radiator 445 (380)
    Shocks/and or Struts 1530 (470)
    Timing Chain or Belt 1305 (460)

I was under the impression that the fifth generation Maxima is a revision of the fourth generation chassis and mechanicals. So it seems surprising that repair costs on CVJ’s, Struts, and Timing Chains fell so dramatically. Does anyone know if these numbers are reasonable, and if so, why?

On a different specification I remember reading that my fourth generation Maxima has a turning diameter of 34.8 ft. while the 2000 Maxima’s number was 35.7 ft. I’ve been interested in buying a 2002 Maxima SE 6-speed, but just saw that it’s turning circle is 40 ft! Could this be true? And what would account for the huge change in the same generation?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help with these questions!