Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• giant56giant56 Member Posts: 9
    I currently own a 98 Max SE. Came across a 02 GLE and it is beautiful. Would like feedback from anyone who may have owned 95-99 Max and now owns 02-03 Maxima. Any likes or dislikes between the two.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I don't fully qualify - but I own a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed and was given a 2002 GLE to drive for a day when I had mine in for it's 120k service earlier this year. They had offered to give me an SE 6-speed, but had sold the "demo" when I came in. I subsequently drove a 2002 SE 6-speed for about 100 miles. Three observations:

(1) Finally, at 255 horsepower, the engine feels more powerful. The 222 horsepower version for 2000/2001 actually felt less powerful than does my 190 horsepower 1995.

(2) However, even with 255 horsepower, the GLE with a 4-speed automatic is not as quick as my 1995 SE 5-speed manual. It may have more "top end" power, but my 1995 feels much quicker off the line and, as such, more nimble getting in and out of traffic. Personally, I would not buy a Maxima with an automatic. In my book, the Maxima engine rates about a 9 on a scale of 1-10, but the automatic transmission rates about a 4 or 5. Almost anything else I've driven - especially by Acura, BMW and Mercedes - has much less of a "performance penalty" when you go to an automatic. The BMW 530i, which is a heavier car than the Maxima and has 30 fewer horsepower, is definitely more responsive and quicker when equiped with BMW's 5-speed automatic.

(3) The 2002 GLE also felt somewhat less tight than my 1995 SE in the handling department. The GLE was definitely quieter and drove very nicely on the highway. It absolutely has a more "luxurious" ride than the 1995 SE. But it also seemed to have a bit more body roll and wasn't as enjoyable through a twisty park road which is often part of my daily drive.

Personally, I would have a difficult time going from a 1995 SE 5-speed to a 2002 GLE. Increased luxury does not offset the decreased fun to drive factor for me (a 2002/3 SE 6-speed would be a different matter). And if you are already driving an SE automatic, the difference in going to a GLE won't be as significant. I recommend you drive a GLE for an extended period before making a decision.
  • jc86jc86 Member Posts: 18
    I'd just put down a deposit for a 2003 Max SE, but declined on the Extended Warranty. It costs ~$1300 for 3 additional years. I'm counting on the reliabilty record to last for my new car. Knock, Knock, Knock.

JC
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    After posting my 2000 SE on Autotrader and Edmunds "whats it worth". I have buyer who has agreed to 14.5k for my car with 65k miles on it.

I lost 10k in 38 months that's $263.00 a month. Show me a lease that compares.
    Once the saleperson realized I was ready to negotiate for a 2003 SE, by offering them a little below what I thought was their invoice, he went and brought out their "invoice". It was exactly as what I had expected, except for the Market Assessment of $476.

However, I was surprised to see the MA does not show up in the MSRP. I can only assume it is absorbed by the dealer. There is no reason for me to suspect that the "invoice" they show me was anything by the actual invoice.

We ended up splitting the difference and had them threw in some accessories. I think I got a pretty good deal at >$300 below invoice. I'm just surprised that the MA fee does not show up anywhere in Edmunds site as well as many others. The only place where I think MA shows up in the invoice but not mentioned is at carsdirect.com.

Is this common for all Nissan cars? Or across the board?

JC
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 22
    I've gone through the pay cash, lease or finance dilemma with cars. I'm still not sure what the best choice is, but it certainly depends on your situation.

If you paid cash for your car, the lost interest on $24000 is around $80-$100 per month (3 years ago you could have gotten a CD paying over 5%). So add that to your $263 per month cost.

If you financed it, you would need to add more than $100 per month to the $263.

By leasing, even with the up-front money down, you would avoid those finance/interest losses. It's possible you still came out ahead by not leasing, but perhaps not by as much as you think.
  • pfrank1pfrank1 Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if anybody knows if the Bose in the 2003 GLE will play MP3 files.

Thanks!
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The MA fee varies by dealer, so Edmunds and the like can't keep track of it for every dealer you might visit. If you read the Edmunds invoice page, you'll see a disclaimer that says, "Most vehicle invoices include a legitimate advertising fee levied by either the manufacturer or regional dealer groups." This advertising fee is the MA fee you saw on the invoice.
  • 92drexel92drexel Member Posts: 153
    I wouldn't buy an extended warranty at the time of car purchase. You can buy a factory warranty from Nissan up until your basic 3year/36k original warranty expires. So play it by ear...if you have few problems during that original warranty period, then I wouldn't buy it.
    If your car is in and out of the shop during that period, then you have a decision to make.

I bought an aftermarket warranty because I've had a few problems with mine. But even then I waited until a week before my original warranty expired to buy one.

Goodluck!

BTW: the engine and tranny (I think) are covered under Nissan's 5 year/60K powertrain warranty. So if you're gonna sell your car before you hit that (assuming you drive <12k/year), then I wouldn't bother with an extended warranty.
  • dcmikedcmike Member Posts: 53
    Anybody know of good deals in the Maryland area? I was on the CarMax site recently, but the only good deals I saw were in the Greenville, SC area. Looking for an 03 SE, auto trans, sunroof. I heard Nissan was going to start the $1000 cash back deal again, so if anyone is buying in the MD / DC / VA area, please let me know if you were happy with your deal. Will be buying at the end of the month. Thanks!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I hear Sheehy has good prices (http://www.sheehy.com) and they are located in Glen Burnie, MD and Waldorf I think.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    The Nissan Dealer associated with www.carsdirect.com is located in
    either Rockville or Bethesda. I don't remember the dealers name but
    in the past has had reasonable and fair pricing on Maximas. You
    could do better but you could also do worse.

Btw, these are awesome cars !! ( my 2 cents )
    The Nissan dealer is VOB in Rockville, but initiate the process
    online at the carsdirect.com site.
    Has anyone ever had 3M Clearmask or an equivalent product applied
    to the front of their car. Your thoughts and experiences, please.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I am also curious about that, need one for an '02 Pathfinder LE, I have a mask for my '00 Maxima SE. I have seen a picture on the internet, but need to go back and research where it was. I will let you know should I find out.

Awaiting Isidore down here in Southern Mississippi...Yikes!
    Someone I know with a VW GTI has that stuff on the front of his car. You can't see it until you are right on top of it. He said it's pretty good thus far, it's been on about 3 months or so.
    Here is a place you can go to, however, I don't know how much it is, but probably worth it. www.jmhmotorsport.com/paintgard.html There are probably other places that sell the product, but I haven't found any as of yet.

Good luck.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    My dad has it on his Chevy truck and likes it thus far. I've been contemplating it for my 00 SE for some time now but haven't gotten it. I believe it's right around $100. The way the front end chips it would be $$ well spent IMO.
    From what I have heard about the low quality paint on the edge of the hoods of Maximas, it sounds like it would be money well spent...
    Has anyone ever installed this? I have an '00 SE, and the arm rests are starting to look worn, and would like to get the wood trim kit, unless too pricey.
    I have seen them go for around $200 on Ebay, and they seem pretty easy to install as well.
    ccermak, vocus, nissangirl :

Thanks for your input. With regard to the clearmask, I have seen 2 cars with it
    and it is virtually 99% invisible. I am mainly concerned with how it holds up
    over time. 3M warrants it for life against yellowing and cracking and my installer
    said he would replace it if there was a problem. Another good website for this is
    www.xpel.com.

Several years ago, I installed additional wood trim in my 2k Max. GLE. At that
    time I purchased a kit for about $ 200 from www.woodtrim.com which was
    actually a JoshuaTree kit. I bought this kit because they offered a " Factory
    Match " Kit which nicely matched the existing trim in the GLE. As far
    as installation goes, if you follow the directions AND take your time it
    will turn out great. I'm very happy with it. However, if you only want to re-do
    the armrest, it would certainly be cheaper to order a trim piece replacement
    from your dealer . ( I'm thinking maybe $ 25 ?? ) It just pops off.

BTW: Good luck with " Isadore" . I hope you are in the right place at the right
    time. ;-)
    I wonder if these are the same product as both are made by 3M.

http://www.invinca-shield.com

$67 for the hood and end caps

$289 to cover the entire front

• kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I now drive a 97 GLE and I am shopping for an 03 GLE with everything except nav and spoiler. The dealer quotes $26,600 and I wonder if that is a good price. I know carsdirect.com sells it at $26,500. The GLE does NOT come with a compass in the mirror but the SE with the titanium package does. Does anyone know if one can swap for a SE mirror? I think the Bose in the 03 is inferior because the range for bass and treble is small and the system sounds boomy (bass heavy). Also, I think there is more wind noise and there is quite a bit of torque steer when you accelerate hard. However, I think the 03 is better equipped, such as 6-disc CD changer, steering wheel controls, heated wheel, memory seat, xenon headlights, side airbag, etc. I am also debating whether I should get the GLE or the Acura TL, both of which are high value cars. Is there anyone on this Board who owns both and/or has test driven both? Comments,suggestions or advice are appreciated.
    Roar1 and Vocus - Thanks for the info on dealerships in the DC / MD area. I received a nice
    (I think) offer on a 2003 Max SE, Gray Lustre, Frost Cloth & Sunroof - $23,800 plus tax, title, tags. I am picking up the car on Friday afternoon for an extended test drive (returning it on Saturday). Let me know what you think of the deal!
    I am not aware of any dealer in my area who offers an extended test drive such as the one you mentioned. With some dealers, you are lucky if they offer you a short test drive (5 minutes) on your first visit. In fact, many dealers want you to make an appointment for a test drive, which means you have to go back a second time to indicate that you are really interested. Of course, I am only taking about Nissan, Toyota and Honda dealers. More upscale dealers such as Lexus, Infiniti or Acura let you test drive in your first visit.
  • KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    KennyG5....Do yourself a favor and get a Maxima SE. I have two co-workers who have new TL's and they both thought my new 03 Max was much nicer. The TL is just so boring to look at, in my opinion. I came from a 99 Lexus GS 300 to my new 03 Max and have not looked back. Lexus had several warranty related issues including many trips to the dealer for squeaks and rattles, water pump that went out, the whole ECU computer had to be replaced, and some other items I can't recall. I believe the SE will have better resale value than the GLE as well since it has more option packages to make it more custom to what you want. The titanium package is unique to the SE as you know and does add a few things the GLE doesn't get or have. I have not found torque steer to be a problem (I have traction control) and I think the 7 speaker BOSE in the Max sounds much better than the 5 speaker BOSE in the TL. Load up 6 of your favorite CD's, put it on random mix and hit the road! It took me a bit to adjust the speakers to how I like them and some CD's are a bit "boomy" but simply turn down the bass a little and you are fine. Great car so far. Plus with the TL you get such a limited color choice for both the interior and exterior. The ONLY thing I might like better about the TL is that the front seats are a little softer, but then again, so is the whole car. One of my workers with the TL has a wind noise that the dealer cannot fix and an annoying dash rattle/buzz. My car is so far and rattle and squeak free at about 1000 miles.

I got my 03 Majestic Blue Max SE for $250.00 over invoice at the beginning of Sept here in Seattle. Options are leather (black), titanium and meridian packages, sunroof, traction control, carpet trunk mat. It had just come off the truck and the interior was still wrapped in plastic. Good Luck.
    Thanks for your comments. I think the suspension of the SE is a bit too firm for me, particularly when it is combined with the rear beam axle suspension that I am not thrilled with. The 04 Max comes with 4 wheel independent suspension but it will be made in the U.S., not Japan. My wife is urging me a buy the 03 now because she wants to drive my 97 GLE (with 30k miles only) and does not want to spend $500 to repair her 92 Max (with 73k miles), which has been relatively trouble free. She thinks the money spend on the 92 Max is not justifiable in light of its resale value. What do you think? As to the TL, you are right about the color choice, but I don't think it looks boring, may be just a bit bland, but definitely not ugly. I think the TL is just reliable as the Max, but it carries a higher resale value and a longer warranty, plus it has 4 wheel independ. suspension.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    My 2 cents on the TL vs. Max. Disclosure: I own a 1995 Maxima SE, but also a 2002 Honda S2000, so I am not biased against Honda/Acura (and in fact, think the S2000 is a no-brainer performance and quality choice over the 350Z).

That said, the Acura TL is experiencing some un-Honda like problems (auto transmission and little fit and finish issues), is made in the US and, in spite of high horsepower numbers on paper, is way, way down from a BMW 3-series in driving dynamics. If I was replacing my sedan today and decided not to upgrade to a BMW 5-series, I think I would pick a Japanese built 2003 Maxima over a US-built Acura TL. If I really needed to save money, I might consider a Honda Accord, but I just don't see the value of the TL over the Maxima. I do favor performance, however, and the SE 6-speed would be my clear choice - for which there is no Honda/Acura equivalent. If I was forced to chose between a 4-speed auto GLE and 5-speed auto TL, that would be a little tougher.

P.S. The S2000 was a much easier choice - Boxster S performance with Honda quality and limited production exclusivity for $32k. What's not to like?
  • maq4463maq4463 Member Posts: 45
    Guy,

Here's another web site. Researched it last year but didn't went for it. They in fact have local installers also if you are not willing to take the risk of messing it up. Expensive stuff though.

http://www.xpel.com/

• aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Before you buy, check out Sheehy in Annapolis (near Annapolis Mall) and Lustine Nissan in New Carollton near the Metro. I got my 02 SE from Annapolis. Good prices, better prices on GLE. Happy shopping.
    Thanks for the heads-up about Annapolis. I wasn't too thrilled with the folks in New Carrolton. I am picking up an SE tomorrow in Silver Spring for the extended test drive, and make my decision at that point. I'd love to have a GLE, just think it is going to be outside of my price range. Any concerns that I should have with the SE?
  • jmh8jmh8 Member Posts: 3
    I need advice. I am looking to by a 2000 Max SE Loaded with every avail. option. The dealer has it listed at 20995. I checked edmunds for trade in value--17k, and kelly B.B. is 15500k. What do think is a reasonable offer for the vehicle? It has only 15000 miles. Thanks
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    If you're buying it from the dealer, why are you looking at the trade-in value. You'll never get that buying from a dealer. Look at retail or private party selling prices. Better yet, go to the Real World Trade-In Values under Smart Shopper and ask Bill or Terry what a good price should be when buying from the dealer:

kruebbe "Real-World Trade-In Values" Aug 30, 2002 11:54pm
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    what r u guys using to clean your alloy wheels? i haven't cleaned the insides of mine since i got my car 2 yrs ago..now there's brown dirty and brake dust in there.. i figure i'll take off my wheels one of these weekends and clean them and then wax them... any advice?
  • dvfdvf Member Posts: 3
    I have a 00 GLX with 40k, and still just love the car. I need to replace the right rear taillight but can not find an access into it to replace the bulb. Anyone know how to do that?. I also need to replace the OME tires which were TOYO Proxes. I live in Mn so need some good alround M&S tires. Any suggestions.
    Thanks much for any help you can provide.
    Dvf
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Don't have the directions at hand (at work) but they're pretty easy to change. I just followed the owner's manuals instructions.

The little plastic fastners that hold the interior trunk finish piece are a little tricky to get out the first time you try it but it's easy after the first one.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    I do mine everytime I wash the car.

Get yourself a bottle of wheel cleaner @ an auto
    supply store and a brush with something like tampico bristles (soft/non scratching). Just
    spray the inside (between the spokes) and brush
    away. Rinse each wheel as soon as you're done
    cleaning it. Several manufacturers make the cleaner
    but be sure the label says "all wheel types" so
    you don't buy something that will eat the clear
    coat or pit it.

berbel (master detailer)
    Tell me how to get water spots off my finish (Sterling Mist) and off of my windows. Those darned spots will not go away for me.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    nissangirl... u could throw a lil vingar into a bucket of water and that would get rid of the waterspots on your windows....

on your paint, not sure if vinagar is safe for your paint...
  • babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    does anyone know a source for the unit that gives speed and elapsed time for testing your 0-60 performance. looks about the size of a radar detector and i think it plugs into cig. lighter
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,510
    think its called a G-tech. Look online for it, or in the ads in a ca magazine.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Thanks for your comments. The S2000 would be on the top of my list if I am single and do not have a kid. Now, I need a comfortable 4 door sedan which not only makes my family feel safe but also makes me feel competent in keeping up with fast moving traffic. So, I am down to the Maxima GLE or the TL-p or TL-S. I was also interested in the Acura RL because of the $4k discount. But many Acura dealers are playing games and do not want to pass the full discount to customers. So, after test driving both the Max and TL, I decided to go with the Max because I like its engine and transmission and its reliability -- this will be my third Max in a span of 11 years. I just put down a deposit on an 03 GLE with silver exterior and black leather interior, with all options except nav and spoiler. With tax and tags, it comes out to $29k. I look forward to picking up my new Max next Monday.
  • rcmaxrcmax Member Posts: 11
    I have a 97'Maxima GXE with 75000 miles on it. I took it to the dealer as Nissan issued a recall on 97-98 Maximas for potential problem with the alternator.

While waiting for the alernator to be replaced, the technician comes to me and says "Sir, the belt needs replacement as its quite cracked up. We will do it $90 instead of the usual $120 because we have already removed the alternator, replacing the belt will be easier." The alternator replacement was free for me as it was a manufacturer recall. But somehow I was not convinced of the "new" cracked belt problem the dealer discovered. I felt he just wanted to make an extra $90 for a lark. Ofcourse I did not get the belt changed.

I still don't know if by "belt" he meant the timing belt or alternator belt. If its the alternator belt, has anyone of you had to replace it and if so after how many miles?

I will appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Your Maxima does not have a timing belt; it uses a timing chain instead, which should never need replacing.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I didn't test drive a GLE but from others here, I believe the ride is better than the SE. It doesn't bother me because I also drive a 4Runner. Anytime you go from a truck to a car, the ride should be better. So I can't really comment on the ride. Other than that, I've had no problems in the 7 months/7000 miles I've had it thus far.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    You can use real light steel wool on the windows, and for the paint you'll need to buy a good cleaner wax / polish and use good ol' elbow grease. I had same prob once, it sucks. Basically you need to wax your car with something stronger than just a carnauba wax, hence the polish (grittier). Buy some beer and spend a couple hours in the garage waxing/detailing.

Seeya
    You could try a slightly diluted vinegar on your
    paint as well but it will require a follow-up with
    a wax or polish depending on your preference.
    Vinegar will strip any wax/polish from your finish.

Another alternative is to clay the finish or use
    of polishing compound BUT I do not recommend that
    unless you have a severe paint problem. Also, I
    would NOT suggest you you try it yourself. Take
    it to a professional detail shop. Use of clay
    or polishing compound in the hands of someone
    not familiar with its application and removal
    can be disasterous.

good luck/berbel
    I would NOT suggest that you use steel wool on your
    windshield. I know of instances where use of steel
    wool (regardless of how fine it is) resulted in
    the windshield being scratched. You don't even
    notice the damage until night when another driver's
    lights hit the windshield and then you see the
    scratches. I know of two people who had to have windshields replaced because of that.

Another possible solution for glass. Wad up a clean rag and wet it. Wring it out about half.
    Pour common BAKING SODA on it and wipe down your
    windshield thoroughly with it. Hose thoroughly
    and dry with terry cloth. berbel
    Sounds scarey, actually.

Well, over the weekend, I waxed my "Sterling Mist" with McGauirer's (sp ?) again, and it seems that with each waxing, the water spots on my finish are fading. And boy is she shinning! I feel like I'm almost driving a mirror! As for my windows, I haven't done anything there yet. I surely don't want to ruin those windows. You can't see the water spots from the inside of the car, but you can from the outside. Of course, I tend to look really close at my car, but sure would like to get it perfected as much as possible since I plan on keeping it for a while.

Thank you for your suggestions. Much appreciated.