Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I'm was thinking of carrying my '00 SE in for a check, as I am nearing the 36K milestone. But my dealer's service department said that is not a normal procedure, to check someone's vehicle over just prior to the warranty going out. Have any of you taken yours in just prior to expiration. All I have ever had done to it are oil changes, and one air filter replacement. And well, new tires, of course, Dunlop SP which I don't recommend.....too loud!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I did that with one of my cars. There was one minor issue, so they looked at the car. I have heard people doing this though, so it's not a non-normal thing.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Actually, I used a soft cloth, a little water, and a little vinegar to get the water spots off my 95 Black Integra GS-R. Worked great! Didn't ruin the paint (although the paint was ruined from the beginning, regardless!).

Good luck!

Obi
  • bkkatzbkkatz Member Posts: 18
    Best way to remove those water spots is with good old Coca Cola....

Open a can...pour it on the windshield...sponge...rinse...dry and then clean the glass with Windex or...my favorite...Zep Foaming Glass Cleaner (available at Home Depot).

By the way, the Coke can be cold or hot...so after you are done with the glass, you can enjoy a swig.

Happy Motoring!!
    It will drain onto my engine.......I'm not sure I could do that. I don't even drink cokes, I'm not sure my car should either. But thanks for that one, I'll keep that in mind.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Congrats on your new Maxima (picked it up today?).

By the way - my positive Maxima experience is how I also ended up with an S2000. After 7 years and 115,000 miles last fall, my accountant pointed out that I had fully depreciated it as my business car and suggested I consider replacing it. I seriously considered a new BMW 530i, but after doing a few calculations, keeping the Maxima and getting an S2000 was cheaper. Now the Maxima is 8 years old and has 130,000 miles and it STILL runs and looks great! I'm now thinking I'll never sell or trade it. My 7 year old daughter has laid claim to inheriting it in about 10 years. My 4 year old wants the S2000. Leaving my wife and me with an Isuzu Trooper - I don't think so!

I hope your Maxima experience is as good as mine has been. Enjoy your new ride.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Thanks. Just picked up my new 03 Max GLE this afternoon. Love the smell of new leather!! It is now sitting in the garage with 20 miles on the odometer while I am reading the owner's manual. I will take it out for a spin Friday night; I only use the car on weekends and vacation. My wife says she wants my Max in 4-5 years and I should get a 4th Max in 2007. My nine year old is disappointed that I did not get the nav. He apparently wants the nav to also play DVD movies.
  • yamadaveyamadave Member Posts: 7
    Looking for some honest feedback on Maxima reliability. I'm thinking about buying a used 02 SE. How many miles will one of these run, assuming scheduled maintenance is performed? Also, anything to look for? I drove one and loved it. Thanks for your help!
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Maxima is at least as reliable as Accord & Camry, maybe more. 60,000+ miles on my '97 SE, not one repair problem in over 4 years. Others on this board with equally impressive stories upwards of 100,000 miles.
  • cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    Hardly impressive.
    My experience: 1995 SE 5-speed, 130,000 miles, front brakes lasted 90k miles, rears 110k, original clutch with no signs of wear. Other than routine maintenance, I've had a couple of small repairs in the last 30k miles (less than $500 over the life of the car).

Equally importantly, the car still looks damn good (ruby pearl exterior). I started off waxing it every 3-4 months with Maguieres #26 and the finish has held up extremely well. That's important, since as my business car, I can't afford to drive around in something that doesn't look sharp, no matter how reliable it is. I'm probably biased, but I have rarely seen a similar vintage Camry or Accord that still looks as fresh as my 1995 Maxima.

P.S. Had the entire car checked over last fall when I was considering upgrading to a BMW 530i (my Nissan dealer also is a BMW dealer). Good news and bad news for me. They indicated it is virtually perfect mechanically (engine compression within new car tolerances), but the trade in value on a 7 year old 115k mile car was minimal compared to the $42-$45k the 530i would cost. They suggested keeping the Maxima and getting a Z3 for fun. Good news and bad news for them. I kept the Maxima and got a Honda S2000.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Long Post!!

A few years ago I found an independent local repair shop that specializes in "import" cars. The technicians cars (parked in the lot) are almost all import models with lots of external (and internal) modifications readily apparent.

They have a "purchase inspection" service(s) that they perform for anyone on any car. Two levels, one for $40, test drive and then car up on the lift and a visual inspection of all major components or a second one that is $90 where they also include a compression check on all cylinders.

I have used their purchase inspection(s) shortly before the warranties expired on all of our vehicles. Identifiying potential issues and then pointing out these suspected issues to the Nissan dealer (in writing) right before the warranty expires.

They'll of course check it out and point out that the car is "operating to specification" but when the suspect part fails later you have a good shot at getting it fixed because you brought up the issue before the warranty expired.

This has saved us a significant amount of $$ over the years and while it may be interpeted as slightly sneaky, I don't believe it's any more sneaky than the usual dealer service (no-service?)tricks that we all occasionally suspect.
  • 90max90max Member Posts: 15
    Y.D. - you asked for "honest feedback". Here's my 2 cents: I have an 02SE, 16k, and have been very disappointed. Poor overall quality and many annoying problems. Not in the same league as earlier Maximas (I owned a 90Se for 12 years -- great car)and IMO Renault's ownership and management involvement in Nissan are beginning to show. Last J.D. Power results I saw last Spring had Nissan in 6th place, behind Honda, Toyota and all three domestic brands. Great Nissan motor, but Renault quality and cost-cutting throughout. Mine's a Sterling Mist if you want to make an offer.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    bought new 95 gle with michelen mx tires never had any problems until i decided to relace them at 40k mi. replaced them with SEARS michelen roadhandlers. since then i have slow leaks in 2 of the tires. took back to SEARS and they tried to fix. told me this time that i might have to replace alloy wheels. i think they are blowing smoke up my a instead of fixing. any opinions? i also own 02 le pathfinder and 94 s-class m-benz both with alloys and never heard of or had this problem ?
    I also have a 95 GLE (with 190k) that is still driven almost everyday. (Also a 00SE daily driver with 105k.)

I did replace the 15" GLE alloy wheels (from the 95) with some 16" spoked alloys (just to fill the wheels wells a little more) a couple of years ago. I took the 15" wheels and put dedicated snow tires on them for getting around easier in winter (used mostly on the 00). I've never had any significant problem with tire pressure.

As I write this I realize that I have noticed over the years and miles that both Maximas (probably because of the front wheel drive and extra weight up there)do tend to need air in the front tires more often than the rears. I'm talking 1-2 lbs of air about every 2 weeks (that's about 1600 miles of 90% highway driving for me).

Since you ought to check your air pressure weekly anyhow I've never thought anything about it.

How much air do they loose in a week? Is it in the fronts, rears, or one of each?
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Your observations about the Maxima surprised me
    as I own one and am VERY satisfied with it to the
    point that I am definitely going to buy another
    one. I, and I'm sure others who routinely read this
    board, would be interested in what you believe to
    be examples of the "poor overall quality" of the
    car.

berbel
    I also have an 02 Maxima SE Automatic (Sterling Mist as well) and have had 0 problems with the car. Only warranty issue was the suspension recall. No rattles and VERY good build quality (no misaligned gaps or anything). Probably the best BUILT car I have ever owned.

To cover my a%$ here, I also spent some time in a 5-speed 96 Maxima SE. I loved that car as well, but it was not better than the 02 I own.

Just my 2 cents.

Obi
    I have an '00 SE since June of 99, not one thing wrong w/35K. I bought my first new Max, a '88 SE, kept it for 8 years, traded in for a new '96 SE, then traded it in for the new body style of the '00 SE. And my name is "nissangirl" for a reason.

If that's not all, my husband recently sold his '93 XE Path that he had for 9 years and bought a '02 LE Path. I got him stuck too!
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    with the maxima going so fast, the paint came off the car? hahahaa.. i guess nissan is finally admitting that their paint sucks! the feeling of admitting to the truth.. FREEDOM!!
  • yamadaveyamadave Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info, I think my wife and I are going to get an SE, I am a little concerned about reliability, but love the cars driving characteristics. Any thoughts about new compared to used? 2002 SE's (cloth) seem to be going for around 21K with around 20000 miles. The 2003's are on cars direct for around 24K.
  • sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    check all my tires ,3 vehicles once a month. most do not need air or maybe 1-2 pound low then adjust. gle has been down 15 pounds on one front and one rear tire other 2 are alright. with old tires never had this happen. cannot beleive that all of a sudden 2 wheels are bad?
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    that someone would cite build quality as an issue with these vehicles. My 02 SE is tight with no rattles either. However, of the tens of thousands that roll out of the factory each year there's bound to be a few that are not up to snuff.

BTW- I posted on the maxima problems board concerning the dimly lit check engine light that's on all the time. Would anyone know anything about that strange problem?
    If the savings on getting a used 2002 w/ 20k miles vs. a new 2003 is only $3k (i.e. 12%), I would definitely go new 2003.

I find the peace of mind in knowing that I am breaking in the car myself to be worth something (probably more on the S2000 that I bought last fall than a Maxima, but still important). In addition the used 2002 has less than 1/2 of its warranty left. Not a big deal, but neither is saving 12% over a brand new car. Also, if you have any intention of selling/trading in 4-5 years or less, a 1-owner 2003 will be worth quite a bit more than a 2-owner 2002 with an extra 20k on it's odometer. If the extra $3k up front doesn't break your bank, I think its a good investment. I wouldn't go to a used 2002 unless you were saving more like $6k (equaivalent to 30 cents per mile).

If anyone out there disagrees, please let me know. I'd love to buy new every year, drive 20k miles and sell at the end of the year for only a $3k depreciation hit. Maybe we can work out an annual deal.
    Yes.

That can happen with any used car however.

I think the odds of getting a seriously abused Maxima from a rental company are much higher than getting it from an original owner.

I know for a fact that the rental companies do not break in their cars according to the manufacturer's recomendations (I've driven a lot of rental cars with less than 300 miles on the odometer, several times as low as 100 miles).
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I'm selling my 2000 SE and have listed the car on autotrader.com. I have had only one serious inquire but was to far to away. I placed an add on cars.com but no luck yet. I listed it on ebay yesterday and am waiting to see what happens. Can anyone tell me what else I should do. I cannot trade in since my next car is also from a private party. The new car incentives are not helping either. I went to my Nissan dealer to get a estimate and was given a bunch of garbage. They said the new 3.5 liter 255 hp really killed the car (2000 & 2001). What does that have to do with it I asked? The body style has not changes and the performance is still very close. I cannot believe they think I am that stupid. I also think it was the wrong thing to tell a current customer that our automobiles resale value are hurting for this that and the other. Well I guess I should stay away from Maxima's since the next generation is due out in the spring. All the 03's will be worthless too right?. What a bunch of @#!. Finally they said well your mileage is high (65,000). I said well I drive about 21k per year. How do you figure that he asked. I have owned the car since July 1999, that's 39 months, due the math. O I see what you mean. Gosh I hate dealing with stupid people. Were giving you a little extra since that car is in perfect condition.

Well two words will sum this up. See ya!

I have purchase 4 cars from them over the years and this is what I get. Anyway, if you can think of anything else please post a reply. I hesitate to park it in a busy corner with for sale sign's in case of theft or damage.

TIA
    I kinda figured Maximas would suffer low resale, given the rebates and incentives they are giving on them now. I have also seen some popping up in rental fleets, and that lowers resale value as well.

If you have a Carmax around you, you could take it there. They will buy your car, whether you buy theirs or not. Their site is http://www.carmax.com. Good luck.

• dmele1dmele1 Member Posts: 7
    The car is fun, once you disable the traction control, otherwie it acts as if it's too modest to pass any cars that are on the road. I like my car, i have every option available except the GPS nav-system. I love the leather, the meridian package, the traction control (good safety feature), the body is very aggresive, i get great looks from my stock rims and the rear wing, needless to say the only thing i did was tint the windows. By the way did i mentioned how great the sunroof is?
    Now the only things that i would recomend NOT to get would be the bose system, plain out it SUCKS!!!! i think eventually i will replace it, i am currently getting the dealer to replace the entire radio due to the many problems i have with the 6 cd in-dash system. Aside from that the paint also sucks! so i am not sure how my car will lokk 3 years down the road when i decide to trade it. One thing is for sure i think i will have to get a bmw and audi or i might just try the V8-passat, cause i dont like any of the other cars i see, not too sure about lexus.
    My car has plenty of power, pluss i am a daddy and i dont want to drive a minivan. If u have specific questions please email me at :
    DMELE72406@aol.com
    i love to speed, and i have to say that i have 9K miles this far (5 months later) When i purchased my car, i wanted to rip the road at 100 MPH+
    so last week i finally got the balls to do it.(123MPH) i did it for about 10 minutes while crossing NJ I-80. WoW, what a rufh, but the car felt a bit loose and the tires were not gripping as i thought they would, every time i took a vurve the rear felt as if it was slidding, how can i improve the handling of my car without putting so much money into it?
    Any New yorkers that can recomend good places to get performance upgrades in Queens?
    What about tires any recomendations???
  • KThomp100KThomp100 Member Posts: 62
    Well, I guess I am lucky in that my 03 Max SE in Majestic Blue has a great paint job that has a lot of depth and shine to it. I would not let the dealer wash it before I bought it so the only person who has cleaned it has been me. I have 3 coats of Zaino on it and it continues to impress me on the quality of the paint. I have not had any sound system problems and I think the Bose sounds great. Hopefully, this will continue..I am taking a road trip with it this weekend so I'll see if I get the dreaded paint chips that so many are talking about. There is no way to avoid some of them but we'll see how it holds up. Just changed the oil to Mobil 1 5W30. Gas mileage so far has been a low of 19 and high of about 23. As stated before, my only wishes were lighted steering wheel controls and a tilt wheel that tilts up more than it does. Otherwise...car so far is great! Although I only have about 1100 miles on it thus far...interior is tight and rattle free and the power of this engine is amazing.
  • amazing2uamazing2u Member Posts: 67
    Believe me, you will have problems with the paint in 6 months to a year. ;) My majestic blue is a "paint chip" heaven!
    I picked up my 03 GLE Max Monday and now have 25 miles on the odometer. I can't speak about paint chip problems, but I can tell you the "premium" Bose system is inferior than the Bose system in my 96 GLE. The new system lacks mid range, all it has is chirpy, eardrum-ringing highs and heart pounding bass. I don't care much about the boomy bass but I like vocals. I can't believe Nissan and Bose cheapen the audio in the flagship car. Shame on them. I will drive the car this weekend and report on its performance. So far, I like the new exterior shape, the xenons, the heated steering wheel, the memory seats, the automated driver exit system, the satellite radio controls and the extra ponies. I would like to try the Zaino protector but don't know where to get it. Is that the best paint chip solution?
    I can somewhat sympathize, but I also think you need to be realistic.

You didn't say what you were asking for the car, but what would you pay for a 3+ year old car with 65k miles when a brand new Maxima SE can be had for $25k or less? And, by the way, the difference in performance with the 255 hp 6-speed 2002/3 is significant. I have a 1995 SE 5-speed and was heavily lobbied to trade for a 2000 a few years ago. I was convinced (and auto magazine tests seem to confirm) that my 1995 was quicker than the 222 horsepower 2000/2001 model. That's not the case with the 2002/3 6-speeds. That certainly doesn't mean that your 2000 is worthless, but it is a slight factor.

I decided from about 1998 on that my 1995 Maxima was worth more to me than I could ever get in a private sale or trade in. Just last fall, I considered getting a 530i from my Nissan/BMW dealership. They apologized that, even though the Maxima was in near perfect condition, they couldn't offer me more than $5k for it (115k miles). I again decided it was worth more than that to me, kept it and bought a Honda S2000 as a fun car instead. The Maxima now has 130k miles and it STILL looks and runs like new. I've now decided that when it's time to get a new sedan, I will give away the Maxima to a family member or friend before I trade or sell it for a low price.

If you are really itching to get a new car, then you have to do what you have to do. But I might suggest you consider that you have a lot of good life left in your Maxima that others may not value as much as you. A lot of my friends and business associates (and even employees) are driving around in new $30-$100k+ cars. I am not embarassed in the least to be seen in a 8-year old Maxima with 130k miles, given the way it looks and has held up. You've got 5 years to catch up to me, and by then the resale issue won't matter as much.
    Zaino is a wax/polish and is the best out there in my opinion. It will not protect better against paint chipping just like any other quality wax but the ease of use and the results of this product will amaze you. It is only sold on the internet so do a search for Zaino. Also, fiddle with your bass and treble controls on your Bose system. There is a big difference in the sound quality when you play CD's vs the radio. I have to adjust the bass down when playing most CD's but you are right when you say it has a lot of thumping bass to it. Your rear view mirror will vibrate at stop lights if you turn up the radio. Anyway, spend some time adjusting the fader and bass/treble controls while listening to your favorite cd and you should be able to find a great match.
    my rims got a small dent on the edge and somehwere on the middle of the wheel, can they be repaired or is it more like i need to replace them?
    what is the biggest size of tire that a 2002 SE (auto) max can wear given that i want to keep the stock rims?
    Or should i just replace the rims all together?
    any recomendations?
    http://www.wheelcollision.com

They might be able to help you.

• jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    My selling price is $14,500 and Nissan was looking at $12,000. I was thinking around 13k minimum from the dealer. All my sources including Edmunds, KBB and NADA say higher for a private party value. I guess if I don't sell in the next 30 days I may consider keeping the car.

BTW, a similar year Honda Accord EX V6 are selling in the mid to upper teens, so I figured the bigger and better Maxima should be able to bring the same resale value.

Thanks for your impute
  • radarloveradarlove Member Posts: 8
    1. Upgrade tires (like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Nitto)

2. Upgrade springs (like Maxspeed)

3. Add front strut tower bar

4. Add rear sway bar

Go to http://www.maxima.org and check the forums for more info

Then you're off to the races.
    I've gone upwards of 120 in my 2002 SE and it feels pretty solid. Do you think it has to do with my 02 GLE wheels with the Turanza's?

Obi
  • cedarparkcedarpark Member Posts: 26
    When I bought my 2001 Max, I knew it didn't have the Bose, but I had also pulled my aftermarket stereo from my old car. No biggie, except I just cannot wait at all to get the aftermarket in, since the stock stereo is pretty bad (rattles).

I have no discernable paint chips, but I bought the car used, so I probably don't look quite as close as those who buy new.

What the car is good at picking up is door dings/scratches. Park very far away from other cars if possible. That, and any kind of scratch on the black bumper (there are a few) instantly reveals the white underneath.

As for quality of paint, like I said, I don't notice significant chips, but I don't get a magnifying glass and go over my car either. Just enjoy the ride--its a great drive, folks. And if you think the paint thing is isolated to Nissan--go to the Camry boards and read the problems/complaints about paint chipping there.
  • weltonwweltonw Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2k2 6-spd Max with just over 5k miles, and since about July I've noticed that the engine pings/knocks lightly under certain conditions. The problem only occurs if the RPMs are in the range 2400-2800 and the engine is under moderate load. Under light or heavy load, or at different RPMs, I've not noticed it.

The problem is really getting to me. For one, the 3.5VQ engine is supposed to be one of the best, yet here I am at 5k miles with pinging/knocking. Second, it really takes away from the driving experience. I'm starting to get paranoid about possible long-term damage I could be doing to the engine since a large portion of my driving is under these conditions. For example, when cruising at 75mph on a long trip a lot of time is spent with the engine under moderate load and with the RPMs in that range. Because of the speed I can no longer hear the problem, but it might very well be happening for long periods of time.

As for gas I *only* use premium (93 and higher) from well-known vendors. I've also tried different stations to rule out the possibility of bad gas. Made no difference.

I took it to my local dealer about a month ago, and a mechanic rode with me on a test drive and heard the problem. But because there were no engine service codes in the computer they said they couldn't do anything about it.

I plan on taking it in again soon to the dealer I purchased it from (a different one). This time I'm going to push them harder.

Bottom line, this is not normal for a car/engine this new. And just because there's no code for it doesn't mean there's not a problem. The computer can detect many problems but not all.

My questions to people in the forum are:
    1) Has anyone else ever experienced this? If so, were you able to track down the problem?

2) Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this? Water in the gas? Bad knock sensor (although wouldn't that generate a service code?) Bad ignition coil(s)? Bad spark plug(s)? When I bring it in I'd like to have a list of valid things they can check.

3) If you had this problem in your car, how concerned would you be? Am I justified in thinking this could cause long-term damage? Or should I think of it more as just an annoyance?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'll also be sure to post an update after I visit the dealer.
    I have a 1995 SE 5-speed and have never had any pinging or knocking under any circumstances in 130k miles. So I definitely would be concerned about it in a virtually brand new car.

My only suggestion would be to demand a visit by the factory rep if you don't get the problem solved by your selling dealer. Let them know that all of us here on the Edmunds' Maxima board, including lot of perspective buyers, are anxious to hear what the problem was and how it was solved. I certainly am.
    Took my new GLE out this weekend for a 120 mile trip; the odometer now reads 150 miles. The engine is smooth and powerful, the tranmission shifts imperceptibly (turning off the traction control enhances silkiness), the car is rattle and squeak free, but at speed over 70 mph, wind noise becomes a bit prominent (worse than my 97 GLE), but turning up the stereo helps to drown out the wind noise. The radio sucks (only on par with my clock radio), the cd and cassettee are marginally acceptable (sound quality worse than the 97 Bose that has equalized amplifers). I averaged 61 mph and got 21.8 mpg (90% highway). I hope the mpg goes up after the car is "broken in." On rough pavement, the car's interior gets quite noisy - inadequate sound insulation and/or 17" tire more noise prone than the 16". The car handles two lane highway with twists and turns quite admirably, but hitting a bump and the rear beam axle lets you know that the Max hates bumps. Overall, I think the 03 GLE is an excellent car for the money (better than the Acura TL-S).
  • mrscottmrscott Member Posts: 4
    I am trading in my 2000 Sterling Mist SE for an Infiniti G35. Here is my experience over the last 3 years. My Max only had the optional automatic transmission, no other options.

I took delivery on 10/99.

I paid 23,000. There were no incentives at the time, except 5.9% financing. The sticker was just under 25,000.

I had the transmission TSB (technical service bulletin) performed even though the dealer could not duplicate the problem. I had the brake TSB (warped rotors)done twice. The brake rotors are warped again. I had the coil packs replaced because of engine pinging; all under warranty. I had to argue with the dealer each time to obtain warranty service.

I never had a non warranty repair, except for brake pads.

The paint did not hold up very well over the last 3 years, particularly on the rear bumper. Then there is the creaking sound that comes from the A-pillars during the winter.

My Maxima turned out to be a great vehicle. Roomy, comfortable, great handling, quiet and fast. A quality vehicle despite some minor shortcomings. I am very satisfied and would absolutely buy it again.

While I would recommend the Maxima to anyone, I chose to replace it with the Infiniti G35. I am moving up market.

Anybody else upgrade to the G35? What are your thoughts?
    Thanks for the interesting report. I have a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed purchased new in September 1994, now with 130k miles. None of the "minor" problems you mentioned, other than the A pillar creaks which I solved myself by inserting wood shims between the dash and A pillar. (dealer had removed entire dash twice and installed foam tape - all unsuccessfully). If one looks closely, you can see the top edge of my wood shims at the dash / A pillar joint, but it worked.

I considered replacing my Maxima last fall with a 530i, but elected to keep it another year or two. Did you compare the G35 to either the 530i or 330i? I prefer a manual transmission and "sport" rather than luxury handling, hence my choices last fall. Also, with discounted European Delivery, I could get a great deal on BMW's compared to their MSRP. Roughly $36k for a 330i with an MSRP of $40k+ and roughly $41k for a 530i with an MSRP of $47k. A G35 at full MSRP doesn't seem like as good of a deal, but I understand they are now discounting in our area. I also understand the G35 sedan will offer a 6-speed soon.

I would be interested in your decision process and what else you considered, since I will add the G35 to my list of possible choices once I get back in the market. Thanks.
    Took my 03 Max SE (Auto, Titanium, Meridian, Traction, Sunroof) on about a 300 mile road trip this weekend in Washington. Went over the mountains and came into some foul weather. Car cruised effortlessly and silent at 80MPH the whole trip. No squeaks, rattles or wind noise. Averaged 26 MPG on premium. Checked car carefully upon my return after washing and no paint chips or dings etc.

Could somebody check their center armrest for me and see if it has some free play when it is in the up position (not open, just up on the second level). Mine moves back and forth a few inches and when it is all the way down, I can hear it move when you take your arm off of it. Very minor I know but wanted to see if others did the same. Otherwise, wish the seats were just a little softer but love the car.
    Don't they both come from the same place?? Visit: www.nissannews.com
  • rcmaxrcmax Member Posts: 11
    My 97'Maxima has 75K miles and never ever gave a problem till now. The only dealer recomended servicing I got done were at 15K, 30K and 60K miles plus the regular oil changes at every 3500 miles. I skipped the dealer recomended services at every 3500, 7500 and 15000 mi intervals. I did it because I believe that Maxima is a well built car and really does not require the dealer to "INSPECT" it so frequently and saved me a bundle. Also I personally am not happy with my Nissan Dealer in CT, becoz this guy always comes up with something which needs replacement even for a minor service.

What bothers me is whether I am someway damaging my car by skipping the minor services. As my car has been running good all this while I don't believe so, but definitely would appreciate others' take on this and their servicing schedule.
    Yeah, I hear a little bit of pinging and knocking at about the same rpm's (2400 - 2800). It doesn't bother me though. It is very slight and only happens on hot days. When I get on the engine hard, it does it real quick and then stops after the rev's build. Bottom line for me, it doesn't bug me.

Here in SoCal, though, the octane is only 91, so that might contribute to the problem (at least in this state). Good luck!

Obi
    The only real thing they do at those services you skipped is the oil changes. Just keep all your paperwork or receipts when you change the oil yourself, and you should be ok.