Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• pjreporterpjreporter Member Posts: 32
    Reporter for a major busienss daily seeks Nissan
    Maxima drivers to talk about their experiences with the car and also be mentioned in the column as a driver. Please email me at lori_f@eudoramail.com by November 4 at 5:00 p.m. EST
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Thanks ! Somehow I missed that article....... 6.9 secs. sounds
    good to me . Many years ago I had a 440 cu. in. / 375 hp. Mopar
    that did 0 - 60 in 6.4 . It's amazing how much power and performance
    they're getting out of these hi-tech V-6's !!!!!!! AND it's not turbo-
    charged or supercharged. Even Nissan's 2.5 4 cyl. puts out a
    naturally aspirated 180 hp !!!!!!!!!!
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    Here's a link to that I35 article. Looks like it was published in December 2001.

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/roadtests/2001/december/200112_shorttake_infiniti_i35.xml

I agree, engine tech these days is very impressive, especially considering the emissions reguluations and fuel economy they have to design around. We certainly have come a long way!

I'm surprised that the automotive media has apparently overlooked
    the '02 max. Automatic. I realise that all of the interest is focused
    on the 6-spd. however , 90% of Max. buyers purchase the auto. trans.
    The 3.5 V6 really does transform this car over the 3.0 V6.

Maybe someone will do a road test on an '03 Auto. but I doubt it. Now,
    all eyes are on the '04.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Recently, Edmunds did a comparo of 5 to 6 near luxury sedans, including Infiniti I35 (which is basically a dressed up fully loaded Max GLE with a $1.5k markup), Lexus ES 300 and VW Passat W-8. In the performance category, the V-6 in I35 took first place, beating out even the V8 in Passat. Pretty amazing!! I35 took second place in the overall rating, edging out ES300 but losing to Passat by a few points. It is interesting that (as I recall)neither the Acura TL-S nor the Volvo S60 were included in the comparo, as these two cars would definitely give the I35 fierce competition.
  • rossney1rossney1 Member Posts: 1
    I don't have a service manual for my '98 Maxima SE. Does anyone know the minimum thicknesses of the brake rotors?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I think one of the reasons that you don't see many reviews of automatic Maximas is the performance quality (or lack thereof) of their automatics. I test drove a 2003 SE 6-speed and 2003 Automatic almost back to back a couple of weeks ago when my car was in for service. No comparison. I would have estimated that the SE 6-speed was 1-2 rungs up the ladder from my 1995 SE 5-speed (6.7 0-60), but the automatic seemed at least 1-2-3 rungs down the ladder. Especially from a standing start.

IMO, Nissan has milked the slow shifting 4-speed automatic in the Maxima/I35 for way too many years. The V6 gem of an engine is rates an "8 or 9" on a scale of 10. The automatic transmission a "4", in comparison to many of the 5-speed and now even 6-speed automatics out there. Fortunately, the 5-speed automatic in the G35 is more like a "7". Even the Honda Accord and Acura TL have better automatic transmissions than the Maxima, IMO.

As I've previously admitted, I am probably a manual transmission "lifer". So take what I say, with that in mind. There is, however, one automatic that I've driven that I would rate a "9". The AMG C32. Try it, if you ever get the opportunity.
  • bcohenbcohen Member Posts: 58
    I have a link to owner's manuals for Maximas. I'm not sure if it will have what you're looking for or not, but its probably worth looking.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=37

I think we are really nit-picking here when you say 1-2 rungs ( ie; tenths
    of a second ) up or down .However, there is a big difference between 8.0
    secs. to 60 ( '00 GLE ) and 6.9 secs ( '00 I35) imho.

I disagree that the media hasn't done a review of an Automatic Maxima
    because it's an automatic. As I said earlier, all of the performance
    emphasis is on the 6-spd. soooo, the media tests the 6-spd. However,
    because the majority ( what 90% ) of people buy the automatic , the
    media should also test what the majority drives. Again, my 2-cents.

My automatic happens to be very fluid and seamless. It does it's
    thing and is completely un- obtrusive. I do agree with you about the
    number of gears. I was really hoping that the 5th gen. would have had
    a 5-spd. Tiptronic type trans. After all , Hyundai did it . I guess Nissan
    has to save some of the good stuff for " Infiniti ".

This brings up a question that has always fascinated me. Why do most
    people buy the SE model. It can't be for the "performance" because
    most people pay extra for the automatic rather than driving the 5-spd.
    I'm guessing it's a combination of features vs. price . Would that
    be a correct assumption ?

Btw, I was a " lifer " also until I " blew-out " my left knee. Thus my
    interest in auto-sticks.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    the media should always test all variations I feel. Those auto journalists can p#ss and moan about it if they want to but I think they should test both the auto and the manual then the issue is moot because both parties are happy then.
    Sorry about your knee.

As for the SE, I thought the percentage that are manual transmissions was more like 30%. Given that most GXE's and all GLE's are automatic, that would result in 80-90% for all Maxima's. In any event, your point about testing the automatics is a fair one.

Even for those who elect an automatic, the firmer SE "sport" suspension may be preferable for some. My architect leased 4 loaded GXE's in 1996 for himself and his partners as company cars. When their leases came up in 1999 3 out of the 4 switched to SE's after feeling the difference in my car around the Washington Beltway.

Also, when I said 1-2 rungs, I wasn't referring to 10ths of a second in 0-60 times. I was referring to differences that I could easily notice. I won't dispute the 0-60 of 6.9 seconds that was clocked for the I35, but that sure seems a lot faster than the 2003 SE automatic that I test drove 2 weeks ago. Maybe I need to mash my foot harder. My sense was that there was at least a full 1+ second 0-60 difference between the automatic 6-speed. And that sense passes the acid test - that was roughly the difference in the previous 190 horsepower and 222 horsepower versions of the Maxima. Adding another 33 horsepower, but keeping the old 4-speed automatic and pitting it against a close ratio 6-speed seems like it should result in the same 1+ second difference (or even greater). Wouldn't you agree?
    you're in the ballpark. The I35 0-60 was
    6.9 and the 6-spd. Max. 0-60 was 6.2 ( .7 sec
    difference ) . Thats pretty close to 1 second.

You know what ? This higher math is giving
    me a headache. I need to lay down and rest.
    Have a great weekend Y'all !!
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I'm likely to be a new Maxima driver within the next couple weeks (2002 SE) and just wanted to chime in with a few questions and thoughts. I for one would rather have the more supple suspension in the gxe or gle but the gxe interior isn't as nice as the se and the se has foglights and sure corners well, so I'm going with the se (plus the gxe is very hard to find). I know awhile back there was a TSB for the hood that moved during driving. Does anyone know more about that? How about changing the passenger compartment air filter? I looked in the owner's manual and it said to contact the dealer. Surely there's a way to change it yourself? Can anyone recommend good tires? I live in a snowy area during the winter, so traction would be important. The Potenza RE92s have really bad survey ratings on tirerack.com and I noticed they're really loud when I've been testing all these maximas. It looks like there are very few choices in the OEM size. I sure like the GLE wheels. Anyone know where these can be purchased? Lookin forward to becoming a Maxima owner soon. Please chime in.
  • ggrindle2ggrindle2 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a 2001 Nssn Max. with 16" tires. The original tires are 215 55R 16. I just went to price some new ones and very few are available and they cost an arm and a leg.

Does anyone have any experience with changing from 55's to say 60's. There is a significant price difference.

Help!
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I have a 91 SE with 58,000 miles in mint condition. Just noticed that the bulb in my glove compartment doesn't work. I have tried to remove and replace it, but it is mounted in a recessed area at the top of the compartment and I can't get my fingers around it to remove. Nothing in the owners manual about this bulb. Anyone out there who can give advice. Thanks.
  • anthonyny99anthonyny99 Member Posts: 4
    Why don't you reconsider a GLE since you like the slightly more supple
    ride and the alloy wheels .I have an '02 Merlot GLE and this car really
    stands out with that color and those wheels !

The hood vibration is referenced in TSB # 01-042 ( Jan 02 ).This was earlier
    in the year and affected a small percentage of vehicles. If you have a late
    '02 build date ( which I'm sure you will ) this probably won't be a factor.

The ' in cabin microfilter ' can be changed by the owner , however you will
    need to remove the Glove Box. Most people don't want to fool with this
    so they take it to a dealer. More info. on the TSB and disassembly of
    the glove box can be found over at maxima.org.

My ' 00 GLE has 215-55/16 Toyo Proxes AO5 's and my ' 02 GLE has
    215-55/17 Bridgestone Turanza EL 42 's. Both are quiet, good riding
    tires but unfortunately are expensive. I do know that people are buying
    Dunlop SP Sport A2 's ( a little loud but reasonably priced ) .Also consider
    Yokahama Avid V4 's. I would recommend that you get ' Traction Control ' and
    try ( 1) winter with the stock tires. I would imagine that if you went with
    something like ' Blizzaks ' that they would be very loud on dry pavement.
    In fact , I'm not even sure you can put ' Blizzaks' on a fwd car.

I hope you get your Maxima soon so you can start enjoying those 255
    ponies. :-)
  • hammer19hammer19 Member Posts: 31
    The hood problem with vibrations at speed was still a problem with the '03 Max as well. My '03 SE was just in the shop to get the hood tightened down. It doesn't vibrate anymore. Good job by Fairview Nissan in Burlington, Ontario. They're in the process now of ordering me a new head unit for my 6-disc Bose CD. We'll see how long it takes and how many more I'll need to put in before the warranty runs out. Otherwise, the car is fabulous.
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    If I had to pick one item to improve in my 2000SE, it would be the auto trans. I think that the general consensus for the past several years is that Nissan knows how to build a great engine, but their auto tranny. could use more work. It could be a lot smoother and get more of the hp to the road....IMHO....
    My ' 00 Max. ( built 4/99 ) could be alot better. My ' 02 is 100% better.
    Seamless , smooth shifts and all at the right time with no hunting. Is
    it the luck of the draw ?? Nissan did make some changes to the auto
    trans in ' 02 to handle the output of the 3.5 V6.

I haven't owned an automatic in 25 yrs. and now I have two of them. I
    just want them to be trouble free for 175,000 miles. I've got my
    fingers crossed.

The great thing about a manual trans is that when you replace the
    clutch at some point the trans will then be as good as new. And
    it's relatively inexpensive to replace a clutch. Once you start having trouble
    with an automatic, it will be expensive to repair and may never be right.
    My confidence level is VERY low when it comes to repairing automatics.
    All you can do is periodically flush the trans , replace the filter and say
    a prayer. ;-)
  • eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    I need to stop buying the first year of a new model. I think that the several minor issues that I have are gone now...sluggish tranny...knocking engine...its hard to wait a year after a new design is released.

I do have to say that I have 74,000 miles on my 2000 SE and it is still tighter and smoother than my 98 Grand Prix with only 20,000 miles.

Does anyone know if the auto trans should only be flushed or should the pan be dropped? I believe the dealer told me that Max does not have a replaceable trans oil filter. Is this correct?
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Hear, hear, I agree, but my biggest beef is that I didn't get several big upgrades that came with the 02 LIKE THE 3.5 MOTOR, auto-dim mirror, steering wheel stereo controls, 17" wheels, etc!!! My other regret was that I didn't get the manual tranny. I hate my auto tranny and would trade for a stick in a heartbeat if I didn't lose my [non-permissible content removed] on trade-in. My new plan is to hold out until the 04's come out and then maybe try to pick up an 03 6-sp for cheaper since the 04 will be a new design.

Had to vent.
  • asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    Hi All,

I just read about the HIDs being stolen off of Maxima--I think someone complained about how easy it was to remove these on a Yahoo auto board. Has anyone heard about this and can shed more light (no pun intended) on it?
    Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    HIDs are a hot market, I would imagine. Aftermarket, they are about $1100 for the lights. I am sure that would mean good profits if they are sold "hot" (no pun intended).
    Apparently , the theft of HID's in the New York City area is very serious.
    There is a link over at maxima.org where you can buy a set of anti-theft bolts
    to replace the factory fasteners on the HID's.

At 40,000 miles I had my auto trans flushed . Basically, it's like a trans-fusion
    ( no pun intended ) . New fluid goes in as the old goes out.

eblum : Excellent question in regards to the trans filter. In my line of business,
    all hydraulic pumps have a filter. The auto trans is a hydraulic device.
    I certainly HOPE there is a filter, although I don't really know at this
    point. Does anyone else know ????????
    Yes, there is a filter. They are usually cleaned with gasoline. I remember awhile back, my mother took her car to get the tranny looked at because it was shifting harshly. The filter was so dirty that when they tried to clean it, it just disintegrated. She bought the car used though, so it wasn't her fault that the maintenance wasn't done. She was always up on that stuff with the car.

But yes, there is a filter. It's usually cleaned (or replaced) when flushing out the fluid.
    Was your mothers car a 5 th gen. Max. ( 2000- up ) ?
    No, this was a 1986 Pontiac that she bought used in 1987. It was an Avis rental car before she got it, so that explains the abuse.

She liked bigger cars, so she had Bonnevilles for the last part of her life. She passed in 2001, and had a 1993 Bonneville that I sold privately because I couldn't afford to gas it for my ~100 mile a day roundtrip commute.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    For those interested, the all-new Maxima will be making its worldwide debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit in early January.
  • mongo312mongo312 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to trade my 93SE for an 03SE/6spd. An option with the 6 speed is a helical limited slip differential. What is it and is it worth the ~$400 price?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    i think the lim slip diff helps control torque steer.
    Get it. The 255 horsepower mated to a 6-speed is simply too much, IMO, for a front wheel drive car. The LSD option helps with both torque steer and wheelspin, based upon my brief test drive of one a few weeks ago.
  • wtierneywtierney Member Posts: 8
    hello - I am considering purchase of a 02 maxima se. Strange thing is the car has only 9000 miles and has 3 bridgetone tires and one tire that is a racing style tire on front right. makes me suspicious some kind of accident occured destroying one of the original tires. The car is repo and no history is available. I did carfax and no reports of untoward events with the car, but it was registered three times within the year it has been in service. Also the right fron headlight appears to have moisture in it. The unsettling thing is that when i did a carfax check on our van which did have a major accident 2 years ago, nothing showed up in report. Anyone have experience with carfax and the reliability of reports. Also recommendations for tires welcome as i would likely buy two new tires for the front. Finally would the factory warranty apply and cover the moisture in right head light? thank for all those that respond
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    My 2002 SE just started with a loud whine/screech sometimes when releasing clutch in 1st gear. Once it starts, it keeps on happening, almost like after something is warmed up. I looked on nhtsa.gov and they have a service Bulletin listed #NTB02084 stating "howl noise when clutch is released". I've made an appointment next week with service. There are several posts on the Problems board. Anyone else with info regarding this?
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Roarl:

Yes, you can put Blizzaks on a fwd car BUT you have
    to buy four of them......otherwise you will have
    a huge vehicle stability problem.

I bought a set last winter for my Max because my
    daily work commute is 90 miles, all interstate
    and the Potenzas don't cut it in eastern Ohio in
    winter.

They are loud and not comfortable but a necessary
    evil. By spring, all I'm thinking about is getting
    them off the car.

berbel
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Debut at the Detroit auto show in January. Any idea when it will go on sale?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    No idea when it will go on sale. But it's listed as an all-new production car introduction on the Detroit Auto Show's web site (www.naias.com). You have to go under the newsletters section, and then look at the November issue.
    I happen to have an unmatched set of tires on my Maxima, thanks to a sidewall puncture from a protruding metal curb cap. It happened within 5,000 miles of getting new tires all around, and that particular brand/style was discontinued, so I had to replace it with another style.

On the other hand, a 9,000 mile "repo" that's had 3 owners in a year is not the kind of used car I would buy. I have a friend who has bought a few cars like that at a "sealed bid" auction. He has had relatively good luck, but he also bids at least 30% less than what a well documented excellent condition "certified" used car would go for from a dealer. In your case, since the dealer retail is about $20,000, I doubt he would pay any more than $13,000-$14,000k for a repossessed car with questionable history. And that assumes his mechanic has given it the thumbs up. If you are getting that kind of a deal, perhaps its worth it. My friend is currently driving a 2001 E320 that he picked up for $24,000 last year. Me, I know my luck (or lack thereof). I'll stick with new.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Some time ago I heard something like a March '03 introduction for the '04 Max, but cautioned that Nissan introductions are often delayed.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    anyone hear of a front brakes recall on maxima's? i heard it from my gf..but got no details...
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Edmund's editors in Sep. 02 did a long term road test on the 02 Max GLE and reported that Nissan had issued a service recall due to electronic throttle control system malfunction on 02 cars. It also mentioned a front transverse link breakage problem which was also the subject of recall. Have any board members received such recall notices? I experience a slight lag in my 03 Max GLE when accelerating from a stop or after turning a corner. Now I suspect it might be due to the throttle control system. I do not want to take the car to the dealer now (it only has 600 miles and the lag lasts only half a second) and I am afraid the dealer might mess things up, even though the report said it was an easy fix. Any thoughts?
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I've considered the GLE but I don't like the fake wood trim inside and I don't like the chrome door handles. Love the wheels though and the auto climate control and wish I could get the gray colored steering wheel instead of black if I get a gray interior. I think one of the least favorite things about the SE is the black steering wheel color, regardless of the interior (only looks good on the all black interiors).

Many reviewers comment about the lack of illumination on the steering wheel buttons. Is this really a problem? I would imagine it would be in more rural areas with less ambient light. The other major flaws of the Maxima interior are the placement of the mirror adjustment (should be on the door and not behind the steering wheel) the slider bar for temperature control (so 70s) and though minor, the automatic door locks are counter intuitive. Up should be unlock, down should be lock and the ignition is on the wheel not the dash so you can see it easily. Most of these, ironically, have been corrected in the Altima and will probably be corrected in the 2004 Maxima. Even so, I think it's one of the best interiors I've seen and I've been comparing it with almost everything.

I know one of the first modifications I will make is to replace the clear taillights with the red ones from the 2000-2001 models. Though I'm only 29, my boyracer look days are over. Ha ha.
  • stoli25stoli25 Member Posts: 14
    I’ve tested today 03 Maxima SE. As I was expecting from your comments, it has lots of power, however … on the road is not as tight as Passat. In Passat you have this ‘road feel’. Max was kind of feeling lousy. Nice interior though. It’s thought to choose between those two, I guess Max for power and Passat for driving experience. Any comments?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Moisture in the headlights is not normal in a one year old car. A few things to look for. When test driving, listen for excessive wind noise. Have a mechanic put it up on a lift to see if the frame is bent. Check for signs of re-painting, torn sheet metal or fiberglass. Also check all of the doors and hinges. This car should be tight and all lines precise. If the doors, hood, trunk, or even the sunroof are not properly aligned, it's a good bet this car was wrecked. Only buy if you get a mechanics OK and if the price is right.
    The throttle system recall was for a stopper that goes under the gas pedal. The original stopper was not tall enough, so the driver could push the accelerator past where it was designed to go, causing the car to go into limp mode. The fix was just to replace the stopper with a slightly taller one.

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your throttle lag problem.
    Here is the official description from the Nissan website:

Reason for Recall
    Your vehicle is equipped with an electronic throttle control system. Under usual driving conditions, the stopper for the accelerator pedal will prevent excessive movement of the accelerator position sensor. However, if the driver pushes the pedal to the stopper with overly excessive force while at the same time pushing it to the right, the pedal may "over travel" due to the design of the stopper. This could cause the engine malfunction indicator lamp to come on and the engine speed to be severely limited. If this occurs unexpectedly, it could lead to a crash.

What Nissan Will Do
    In order to prevent this incident from occurring, your Nissan dealer will replace the accelerator pedal stopper with a new one. This free service should take about thirty minutes to complete, but your Nissan dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule.
    I only replaced one at the recommendation of my tire shop. The replacement is the same brand and same size and rating (215 HR 60 for the 1995 SE). The only difference is that the particular style has been discontinued and replaced by a slightly different tread pattern.

I'd probably have replaced both rear tires if it happened on my S2000, but not on the Maxima.
    I replaced one tire on my Jetta as well. Around 15K miles, I rubbed a curb and split one of my tires open. Since the OEM tires were $220 each, I got the same size (different speed rating though) of the same tire for one wheel. I have had no adverse affects for the past 10K miles.

I was going to replace the other 3 with the same brand, because I like the tire. I called the manufacturer themselves, and they don't make the tire anymore. :(
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I always believed it was ME who caused that recall!! I stomped on my gas pedal in a race in my 02 Maxima SE way back in October of 2001 and the thing just died. I had to park it for 10 minutes, and then it worked again, but the "check engine" light was on.

I took it in, they took a couple of days to figure it out, and then I got it back. A few months later, recall notices started going out.

Yay me!!

Obi
    I bet that was embarassing... :(