Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    Interesting (to me anyway) that you prefer the smokey lenses to the clear. I really dont like the tail lamp design either way but the clear is the lesser of two evils, imo.

I cant believe that a lens swap would de-value you new SE, as long as you keep the clear lenses and put them back on when its time to sell it or trade. I also have to believe that both lenses are easily interchangeable.
  • 03maximan03maximan Member Posts: 13
    Kenny i've noticed the same thing your talking about with the split second hesitation on take and around corners. It's barely noticeable, but nonetheless a little annoying, considering this is a hi-tech modern car with direct injection and all. On the subject of the clear tailights-
    I think they look great on my 03 SE
    with polished titanium paint (is that what your calling sheer silver?) This car is a great car,
    sometimes i forget this is a four door, 5 seater!!
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "My only complaint (minor) is that the car tends to hesitate for a split second when I try to accelerate from a stop light or after making a turn"

Thats inherent with Nissans "drive by wire" system, i.e. the electronically controlled throttle that Nissan started using on the 02 Maximas. If that's the only thing prompting a service visit, I wouldn't bother, as your dealer will likely tell you same thing.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    A tech at the dealer today said it was fine to keep driving it and they'd have to take a look at it next week. He said probably what happened is that the engine has a fail safe mode when it's had an overly hard acceleration (and it was probably some young punk driving it around enjoying the 255 ponies). Then the check engine light comes on and needs to be reset. Anyway, I'll post more info when I know more.

The guy that sold me the car told me to keep the clear taillights for resale value but I don't intend to resell this car anytime soon. I hope to drive it into the ground. Plus, I need the money for the clear ones so I don't think I'll be hanging on to mine. Anyone interested or know of anyone who is interested? I guess I'll post on the Maxima.org forum. I'd suggest you look there for the black SE lights from 2000 and 2001 or maybe eBay. If not, you can always ask your dealer to order them for you but that'd be a prettier penny more I'm sure.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    I have an '02 Merlot GLE. I installed the Black
    "Carbon Fibre Look " taillights from a 2000 Max.
    SE model. I purchased the lights from Courtesy
    Nissan in Texas @ www.courtesyparts.com. Their
    price is $ 111.00 ea. but if you tell them that you are a member of Maxima.org. ( which I am ),
    then the cost will be $99.00 ea.

All 5th gen. Max Taillights are the same , so fit is not a problem. I had a body shop install them in 15 min for $25. I then sold the frosted Lights
    ( which are a hot item ) over at Maxima.org for
    $100 for the pair ( what a deal ! )

Quite frankly , if you keep your '03 Max. 3-4 years, I don't think any one will even notice
    or care about the taillights ....except me ,
    and I'm keeping my '02 for 8-10 yrs.

BTW, I also replaced my sill plates with the
    Stainless Steel sill plates from the 20 th Anniv.
    edition Maxima. While I'm on a roll here, I also
    had the 3M ScotchCal ( clearmask ) installed on
    the Hood, Bumper, Mirrors, and the thicker "Xpel"
    film on the headlights and fogs. I highly recommend this protective film if you drive in a high threat environment AND you want to keep your
    car for a long time.

Having the "Clearmask" installed is kinda like
    buying a Jaguar..... if you have to ask
    " How Much ", then you probably can't afford it

I hope this helps !!!
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I think I will probably keep my clear covers on the tail lights. It helps distinguish my '03 from the earlier versions.
  • dangnabbitdangnabbit Member Posts: 30
    Where'd you get the stainless steel sill plates? And how much were they if you don't mind my asking? Also, can they be installed by someone with limited mechanical experience? Thanking you in advance.
    I had bought some for my '00 SE (that I later traded in for my '03) but I got them from www.courtesyparts.com out of Texas. They were $18 each for the front doors and $16 for the rear doors I believe. They are extremely simple to put on. Your originals just lift out, and the new ones pop right in.
    Installed the red taillights yesterday. Wow, what a difference it makes. Really changes the look of the whole rear end. The guy that sold them to me said the clear ones would look a lot better without the yellow turn signal. And I couldn't agree more.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    I got my sill plates at www. nissan-accessories.com ( another Nissan dealer in Texas).
    A set of 4 cost $49.59 and they just snap in.
    Wish I had known about that site, much better price. Thanks for that info, I will have to click over to them and check out what other deals they have.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Member Posts: 109
    I've purchased through zainobros.com twice direct and my orders arrived very quickly. It's not online, you must mail in an order form. I'm not a fanatic, but it seems to look slighlty better and last longer than other high grade waxes I've used. It's 3 or 4 steps, but it goes on easy.

Just put my snow tires back on. I highly recommend spending a few hundred $$ to replace the high performance tires with snows if you live in a snow belt. I bought Blizzaks mounted on rims from tirerack.com. They have many options.
    Thanks regarding the sill plates. Looking forward to seeing them on my car now instead of the brochures.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Has anyone had trouble setting up the memory seats? I've followed the manual carefully and they don't move when I press either button.
    Your car has a function that allows for the seat to automatically slide backwards whenever the door is opened and for it to slide back to the original position whenever the engine is started up. It's supposed to allow for easy exit and entry. This function has a switch on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Make sure it's on the on position and not the cancel position. That should do the trick.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Within the last couple of days someone on here
    mentioned that they were inflating their tires
    to 40 pounds......this is directed to that person:

With all due respect, I think you are living
    dangerously. Nissan's recommended tire pressure,
    at least for my SE, is 32 pounds in all four tires.
    When you inflate 8 extra pounds of air in each tire, a few things are gonna happen. First, the
    ride quality of your car is going to decrease a
    significant amount. It's going to feel like you're driving a tank. Secondly, the middle-most portion
    of your tires are going to wear out very premature-
    ly and these tires aren't CHEAP! Number 3, with
    all those extra pounds of air, you risk not having
    all the tread of your tires on the pavement at high
    speeds. This decreases control and makes the car
    very susceptible to hydroplaning on wet surfaces.
    I highly suggest you keep your tires at the recommended psi and NO MORE than a couple of pounds
    over. :)

berbel
    I wondered about that. I'll give it a shot.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    does anyone know what the warranty is for the

16in Toyo Proxies that come on the the 2000 to 2001 GLE's?

what do you guys think of the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires? they're summer high performance tires for about $75... they're getting good reviews on tirerack... i think im going to get them in the spring with a new set of rims.. maybe put 17inchers on my GLE.

I still need new tires within the month ..either the Michlin MVX PLUS which are touring tires (if i get these, i will definitely get the Kumho's in the spring) or the Dunlop Sport A2's. Looks like we're going to get about 3-6 inches of snow here in western mass... and i have to drive to NY tomorrow. needdddddddddd those tires
    My previous Max ('00 SE) I had put the Dunlop's on it, they drove great, felt like you are hugging the road, BUT they are LOUD. Next time I will consider another brand.
    I only have a little over 200 miles on my new '03, I was advised not to travel long distances at 80 mph until I reach around 1000 miles on it.

Any opinions on this??
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Follow those instructions. Driving long distances at a constant speed during the break in period can cause the pistons not to "seat" properly in the cylinders and may cause engine problems down the road.

That's not to say that you can't go 80, or drive long distances. Just vary your engine speed and gears (if you have a manual). DON'T use cruise control.

I had to take a 750 mile trip in the first week of owning a 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed and varied the speed between 55 and 75 (and occasionally dropped to 4th gear) and went for a couple of 35 to 55 mph side road trips that broke up the long highway stretches. It's been 8 years and 132k miles I've had no engine problems and still average 24 mpg and close to 30mpg on the highway. Whether that advice contributed to my success is speculative, but I think so.
  • cusafrcusafr Member Posts: 184
    Curious about the dunlop tires. Did you have the sport sp2 tires? I have heard nothing but good about them, even the lack of noise.

CUSAFR
  • alexg4alexg4 Member Posts: 14
    It turns out that my tire pressure gauge was showing about 5-6 psi higher than the real deal, so I am in a safe range. Thanks for your comment though, I will pay close attention to tire pressure.

On a different note, does anyone experience an unusually low mpg on 03 GLE? I am getting about 16 mpg city using premium fuel.
  • hound97hound97 Member Posts: 22
    Just destroyed a tire and a rim on my 2001 Maxima SE with 17" wheels in our first snow storm of the year. Anyone have a tire they like? I'll probably buy all four new tires since the current ones have 30,000 miles on them anyway. I am partial to Michelin and their site recommended the Pilot MXM4 225/50R17 94V will this do the trick? How much should I be paying? They say $292.

Also, dealer quoted me $635 for the rim. Can I get anywhere else cheaper?

Thanks!
  • dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    IRS is commonly accepted as being the best situation for a good handling and ride balance. What's real world experience with the 03 Max?

Also, this board has been a great help to me in focusing on the strengths of the Maxima. I was a buyer of the first Acura Legend in 1986, and only got rid of it 2 months ago. I still have a 1990 version of the same car thats in remarkable condition. I guess, I'm looking for the same sort of dependability from the Max. Lots of those old Legends are daily runners with over 250k miles. Can you expect the same, with good maintenance, from a MAX?

Last, on style. This is obviously very subjective, but I find the MAX somewhat non-descript, except for the rear end, where it seems someone was trying to make a statement. However, I think the overall laid back styling is a virtue if you keep the car for 10 years. The 90 Legend sets no styling trend, but it is far from tired looking, especially given its age. I think the MAX has that potential, which is the reason I don't care for the Altima. Its like a very sweet drink, gratifying at first, but soon becomes boring. That, and, imho, the atrocious interior quality. I don't think I'd be interested in a MAX that was derivative of that design.

PArdon the long post. I welcome comments and opinions.

Thanks
    Yes, that is what I had, they handled great, felt great, looked great, but a bit loud, in my opinion. But I think I will go for something a little quieter next time.
    I think the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE92s on my 2002 SE Maxima are very bad. Even though they only have 16K on em, I'm going to replace them within the next month.

I've been looking at the Potenza RE950s (I had them on my Intrigue and they worked great), the Dunlop Sport SP A2s which get great reviews on tirerack.com, or I'm also considering getting winter sport tires for year round use (the SP Winter Sport M2s). The Dunlop Sport SP A2s are about $100 cheaper for a set of four than anything else I've looked at, so I'll probably go for those. Very few come in the OEM size, so I'll probably go for the 215 55 17 or the 235 45 17.
  • garnold1garnold1 Member Posts: 11
    My teen has a 97 Maxima SE with a heavy duty cigarette odor thanks to the previous owner. After 3 months of air fresheners, etc. it still reeks.It has leather seats and we will purchase new carpeted floor mats if this will help. I thought she had taken up smoking herself until we figured out it was the car making her stink! Any recommendations on cleaning products to eliminate the odor?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    As you've painfully discovered the A/S tires are pretty poor in snow (other than maybe the first winter if you drive very carefully).

I bought a set of Michelin Pilot A/S from tire rack early this spring for my 00 SE and have been very pleased with them compared to the stock OEM tires.

They were about $200 each and from the research I did were better all around performers than the MXM4 225/50R17. I'm very happy with them so far (about 25,000 miles) but I haven't had them in any snow yet.

Regarding the replacement rim price, for slightly more money you could probably pick-up a new set of lighter wheels and tires (from TireRack.com) and part out your old ones for a couple hundred each? You might come out pretty good overall?
  • ras5ras5 Member Posts: 8
    I currently drive a 98 Maxima SE with a 5 speed. The car has 110,000 miles on it and other than a blown sensor at 33,000 miles (warranty covered it) and the pulley holding the sepentine belt failing at 75k, the car has been excellent and still does not rattle or squeak. Oil consumption is minimal(less than a half a quart every 3500 miles) and it still accelerates like a scalded cat. I am looking into purchasing a 2003 SE with a 6 speed manual. I am interested in hearinbg any feedback from current owners you can email me at Rob4892EX@AOL.COM
    I've been driving around thinking I was getting abnormally great gas mileage for this 3.5 L Engine because the trip computer was telling me I was getting 24mpg (and yes I reset it after fillup). But I also set the trip odometer and figured it out myself when I filled up on Tuesday. I got just over 20mpg when the trip computer was saying I got 24mpg. Very disappointing.
  • bglebgle Member Posts: 5
    I have had my '02 GLE for over a year and like you, I first thought I was getting outstanding mileage. My calculated mileage is in line with the EPA figures but my computer ALWAYS indicates about 3.5 MPG better. I have corresponded with Nissan twice with no positive results.

The 3 to 4 MPG over actual seems to be the norm as reported on this site. I have never seen a post of the computer being even close or under actual MPG. Does anyone have a Maxima with an accurate (within 1 MPH) trip computer??? My wife has a Mercury that is always within 1 MPG of actual.

Since most people don't physically compute their mileage, I am beginning to believe Nissan is doing this on purpose to make people think they are getting better MPG than they actually are.

It is a shame because this is the only fault I can find with my car. As far as I am concerned they they could have left the MPH computer off.
    I too would like to hear from current Maxima owners, especially "SE" on what else they shopped against and how they would evaluate the handling of the 2002/3 Maxima against others.

I have a 1995 Maxima SE that I cross shopped against almost every sub-$25k vehicle at the time (it cost $20.5k back in late 1994). I found that, lack of IRS notwithstanding, the Maxima SE outhandled the Accord, Camry, Volvo 850 and Saab 900 by a noticable margin and the Passat by a small margin). It was no BMW 3 or 5 series, but it was the best/flattest handling car around corners of any of the FWD alternatives. I also previously owned an Acura Legend prior to the Maxima, and would rate it as better handling than the Legend. I even recall reading a Car and Driver or Road and Track review that, at the time, diagramed the "sophisticated" multi link beam suspension that the Maxima began using in 1995 and gave it the "thumbs up" for producing less body roll and tighter handling without significant ride quality expense.

Now that 8 years have passed, I'm remotely considering upgrading to a 2003 Maxima SE 6-speed. The more likely scenario is a 530i or 540i in the spring, but the price of the Maxima is very attractive. I was offered $750 under invoice by my dealer (includes the current $1,000 rebate).

By the way, even BMW gets caught up in technology hype. The 540i (and M5) use recirculating ball steering, rather than the rack and pinion of the 530i and virtually all other performance sedans. Try telling me that an Acura TL is a better steering car than the 540i. Ha!
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I just helped an associate buy (locate) a 03 Maxima GLE with all options including the Nav (which is almost impossible to find) for a price of 28,400 + TTL.

We didn't have to work very hard for that price. Our dealer (in SE Wisconsin) said he'd do 26,800 for the Loaded Max GLE without Nav but she's insisting on the Nav. They are projecting delivery in mid February.

Check out the Maxima pricing on CarsDirect.com. Three years ago I priced out the Max I wanted on CarsDirect and printed out the price sheet from the web site and just went in to my local dealer and asked if he could beat their price. He did and I bought my 00 SE from him on the spot.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I also considered the nav but found the buttons and controls fuzzy. It is cd (rather than dvd) based and the unit displaces the cd changer so that the latter has to be placed in the trunk. I prefer the nav in the Acura RL, which has a bigger screen and more user friendly. I heard the new Accord's nav is even better in that it has voice recognition so that you can activate the features thru voice rather than touch. Unless the Max improves the current nav's configuration and features, I don't think there is a big demand for this rather expensive option.

Habitat, as I have noted in earlier posts, I still find the Max suspension inferior. I heard the SE's suspension is way to firm ("jaw breaking and teeth rattling"). My GLE's suspension isn't that bad, except over rough roads where you will feel the bounces and hops, but the car is still able to maintain decent control. If you want a 100% Japanese made car with good performance and reliability and a very tempting price, you should act soon. IMHO, the BMWs are nice, but they can't beat the Max for value and reliability.
    kennyg5: I have to take a comment "jaw breaking and teeth rattling" regarding the SE suspension with a truckload of salt. This obviously comes from somebody who would do better in a wallowing Buick than a sports sedan. I wonder what would happen to them in my Honda S2000 - their head would pop completely off??

I acknowledge that in the past 8 years, the multi-link rear beam vs. IRS on the Maxima seems to have gone from being touted as a handling positive (based upon the June 1994 Car and Driver review of the then new 1995 Maxima SE) to a marketing detriment. However, in 132k+ miles, I've never had a problem maintaining more than "decent control" with my Maxima. Rather, I have greatly appreciated its more sporting characteristics compared to its competitors at that time. As I stated previously, my interest is in how the 2003 Maxima SE stacks up against its current crop of competitors, handling wise. IRS or not, I would like a car that drives tight and flat. I'd rather feel the road than endure body roll. There are a lot of FWD IRS alternatives out there, but do any really give the 2003 Maxima SE 6-speed a run for it's money on the sporting factor?

nissangirl: Did you shop any alternatives to your 2003 Maxima SE? How does the 2003 compare to your former 2000? Do you wear a neck brace or have you lost any teeth yet?

I have no false impressions that a 2003 Maxima SE 6-speed at $26k loaded will be as tight or offer the driving dynamics of a 530i 5-speed sport at $44k. But I could probably justify keeping my Honda S2000 based upon the price savings.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    From my experience with the Maxima you will not feel a huge difference between the IRS and the Maxima's beam suspension on flat surfaces. The difference will be if you are taking a corner and you hit a bump. If you are in a car with IRS only the tire that actually hits the bump will be affected whereas in the Maxima your whole rear suspension will be impacted.

While the rear axle probably woudln't make a difference to the majority of people I think that not having a independent rear suspension is a glaring ommission in a car that is supposed to be a "premium sports sedan".
    I only compared my '03 SE to my previous Max's and I will admit I test drove a '03 Camry that absolutely SUCKED. First of all, they didn't even have any V6's in stock and didn't know when they would even arrive, if ever. So all I had to compare was the V4 Camry, and it appeared to have no horses, only turtles, past 50 mph.

I live in a town that does not have BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo dealerships, so I could not compare those - only wish I could have. I prefer to buy my vehicle locally.

I have NEVER had a wreck...KNOCK ON WOOD! So, No, I have never worn a neck brace, nor have I lost any teeth. And I have been a Maxima (all SE's) owner since 1988.
  • exbyexby Member Posts: 11
    It doesn't matter where the car will be built nissangirl. Location has no baring whether the car will be builit well or not. What does matter is WHO is building the car. Go ahead and buy the next Max. It's being made in a brand new factory. I'd buy it for sure.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    I don't get all this criticism of how poorly the SE
    rides....teeth rattling...bone jarring, etc. etc.
    It's simple......if that tighter, flatter riding
    suspension is not your cup of tea then no one is
    forcing you to buy one! Try an RL or an Avalon or
    a GLE if you want that softer, cushy ride. Anyone
    of those are really great cars that will give you
    the type of ride you're looking for. Quit whining.

Anonymousposts: Ditto.....I agree with your assessment of the beam suspension. Nissan touted
    it because they built it. Let's get real. Common
    sense dictates that they were not going to build
    a car and then say "Hey motoring enthusiasts, we've
    got this really great car called the Maxima but
    the beam suspension we put in the rear end really
    stinks!!" If they go to an IRS with the '04 model
    it will be one of the most dynamic structural im-
    provements they could make. Just my 2 cents adjusted to a dime for inflation.

berbel
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The rental SE I drove (it was an 02) rode a little softer than my 02 Jetta with 17" tires and sport suspension. Any time you firm up the suspension and put larger tires on a car, it's going to increase the firmness of the ride. Anyone knows that, I thought. If you don't like the way the SE rides, get the GLE.
    02 SE: After six weeks I finally got the stereo replaced today because of the left side speakers. When I tried to load the CD's in to check out the speakers, the CD didn't work at all. They then put my old radio back in and ordered a new one. When I loaded the CD's in the old radio, the left side speakers now work fine and sound as good as the right side. Strange. Maybe the problem is not with the radio but with the installation from the factory. Why else would the speakers work now? I will probably take the replacement anyway when it comes in, but I just wanted to put it out there to anyone who has not had their radio replaced yet.
    I think build location is more important than you think. None of the foreign manufacturers I'm aware of haven't had initial quality problems with models that they have tried to build in the US.

Back in 1994, when I bought a Japanese made 1995 Maxima SE, Honda and Toyota were still having fit and finish and some mechanical problems with their US built Accords and Camrys. It wasn't devastating to either company, but it hurt their otherwise exceptional reputations for awhile.

In the case of the ML320 and Z3, ask any (honest) senior executive from MB or BMW and they will tell you horror stories. One of my neighbors is the senior government affairs exec with Daimler Chrysler and even his own ML320 had fit and finish unbefitting to Mercedes. I have heard rumors that the Motorsports Division of BMW didn't want to send their "M" engines to Spartansburg for insertion into the former Z3 based M Roadster because they were not being built to the same quality standards as the rest of thier German made counterparts (i.e. M3 & M5). The fact that the Honda S2000 is mostly hand built in limited numbers in Tochigi (rated one of the highest quality plants in the world) factored into my purchase decision, especially after hearing the less than glowing reviews of the Z3 quality control.

Nissan has had some time to work out the production bugs with their US built Altimas for a couple of years, so perhaps the 2004 Maxima quality won't suffer. I hope not.
    Honda has been building Accords since the at least the mid 80's (they actually started exporting Accord LX-i's to Japan in 88) and Camrys have been built in the US since 1988. If either brand had quality control issues in 94 (I can't recall any) it was not the result of being produced in the US. In fact, 90-93 Accords are one of the most sought after models in the used car market along with the 92-96 Camrys. I have not seen any substantial information that shows any quality decline in Honda or Toyota as a result of being built in the US. They have both been building cars here for almost 20 years, and have all along been regarded as the best built sedans in their class.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    My 99 Acura 3.0 CL that was built in the States was a rattle fest! Also, none of the body panels lined up very good either. I had to take it to the dealership many times for rattles and shakes. I had 29K on it when I got rid of it.

My 02 Maxima SE has 23K and has not been to the dealer for any fit, finish or rattle issues. The thing is a tank. I won't be getting rid of this car for awhile!

Obi
  • rrrevrrrev Member Posts: 2
    When I bought my 2001 Maxima SE 20th AE, I was also looking at the WRX, Passat and the Acura TL. I chose the Maxima, in large part, because it gave me the best sporty-to-practicality ratio, aside from the WRX, which was in short supply at the time, and felt a little 'cheap'. As it turns out, it appears that my Maxima (15K miles, loaded) has kept its value the worst of the group, in some cases by far. In fact, it cost more than the WRX new, and now is worth less. Am I missing something, or are Maximas a depreciation nightmare?
    They are a depreciation nightmare. Here a $28,000 SE is advertised for $21,000. Heavy discounts and special interest rates will wreck havoc on any car, the Maxima is one of them.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I think Maxima's depreciation is about average. However, if a brand new 02 $28k Max can actually be bought for $21k, it sounds quite pathetic. Likewise, you can now buy a brand new 02 Acura RL, which has an MSRP of $43k, for only $34k. Although I have not done a survey, my guess is that many American-made cars depreciate at a even steeper rate than the Max or the RL.

On the other hand, if you keep the car for 8 to 10 years (the Max can easily be kept for such time due to its reliability), the depreciation factor is of little or no significance. As I said, and I believe many of the board members agree, the Max is plenty of car for its value.

As a testimonial (I don't get paid by Nissan for doing this but I do not mind if I get paid), my current GLE is my third Max, and I recall Nissangirl having said that her current Max is her 4th, and there must be quite a few members out there on this Board who are repeat buyers and owners of multiple Maxs. Depreciation notwithstanding, the Max retains its faithful followers despite its minor shortcomings and the fact that we are still awaiting for that purrrrfect 4-door sports dream machine.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Kennyg5 - good point on depreciation being a moot point if you keep the car for 8 -10 years.

Of course the Max is not in a unique situation since many other manufacturers are offering incentives/discounts on their new models which leads to the lower resale value.

For those who place a premium on resale value, the Max may not be for you, but it does have alot of other qualities that are worth a look.
  • hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    My wife has a 2000 Maxima SE and she was quoted a price of $72 by our local Nissan dealer for installing the microfilter. Her car has 15,000 miles on it, and I understand that it's time to change it. Does it need to be changed at 15,000 miles? Does this price sound about right? Is it that hard to change yourself? If it's not hard, are there any on-line instructions available that walk you through it? Many thanks in advance.