Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• windy6windy6 Member Posts: 57
    Yeah I had read the last 6 months of posts so I knew there were deals out there. Thanks for the heads up on the carmax, I had looked at there site before, (they have a store in San Antone and a couple in Houston and Dallas) but EVERYTHING on their site and lots was almost exactly $1500 higher than a comparably equipped car at any dealer within 200 miles. Using this site I came up with $30221 MSRP, $27429 invoice, I guess the difference would be transportation to a different zip code? I tried Abilene, Austin and Houston zips and came with the same numbers. Anyway we're all happy, might not have been the cheapest but I refuse to sell to customers when they act like complete butt heads, and I felt that everyone I talked to at every dealer I visited was BSing us. BTW, we're not kids, we're in our 50s, do please don't treat us like we just got off the boat.
    BTW, I made the deal with the guy in Abilene. It has less than 4K miles, Titanium exterior, dark leather seats, $22500 cash, he's about $90 upside down so have to send (wire?) money bank-to-bank to get the released title, do that on Monday.
    Thanks again for your help.
    windy6
  • 1firefly21firefly2 Member Posts: 4
    Check the Nissan site for dealer inventory in your area. Almost everyone in Ohio got a couple of 04 Maximas today. Hurray!
  • smazzy4smazzy4 Member Posts: 16
    leonard,
    i bought the SE with everything but traction, navigation and meridian.
    The msrp was 29843. I got it for 25400 including the $1000 rebate. This was at maxwell town north in austin. I worked with Art Ponce who seemed reasonable.
    You can probably get a better deal.
    Remember that there is a $700 holdback for the dealer from the manufacturer.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    Ok, I am gonna give the pros and cons and then sum it up at the end. Here goes!

Pros:
    1) Bigger and roomier
    2) 18 inch wheels
    3) Quad exhaust is NICE!
    4) Autostick (BUT, you can't start in 1st gear like the Acura TL-S and CL-S and it won't let you redline it if you are upshifting or downshifting)!

Cons:
    1) BOOOORING styling! Inside and out. There is just not a lot going on inside. Plus, the orange instruments and lighting are "Blah". I never was a fan of it in the new Altima either. The outside is boring as well. It is nice, but nothing grabs me and says, "I MUST OWN THIS CAR!" Also, without a real spoiler, this car has a HUUUUUGE butt!
    2) Cheap, cheap, cheap dash materials. This thing was put together with cheap parts IMO. The plastic reminds me of the interior of the Altima and G35. I did not like the interior of those cars either. Definately not as nice as my 02 SE. Not by a long shot.
    3) Xenons not standard on a $29K sticker?? HA! No thanks!

Thats about it for now. I didn't get to drive it because it had just come in. All the salepeople were "looky loos" just like me. I had to explain how the foglights worked for everyone! Good times!

So, in close, would I buy this car? The answer is "No" and here is why:
    I am sure this car will outhandle and outdrive my current Maxima. There is no doubt about that. But I think they have geared it towards a much older audience. They have priced it towards an older audience as well. If they were looking to compete with the TL-S and Audi A6, they have sure priced it that way. Too bad it is not nearly as nice as either one of those cars on the inside. The outside will hold up. It is boring just like the TL-S. Unfortunately folks, it looks like they have left the Altima to us previous generation Maxima owners. That is all fine and good if they get the Altima interior looking better. For me? My next car will still be the Mazda RX-8 at this point in time. That is unless somethings else comes along that I want instead.

Obi
    2002 Maxima SE
    Sterling Mist/Frost Cloth
  • scotty20scotty20 Member Posts: 3
    I also just saw a 2004 Maxima at the Cleveland Car Show last weekend. All I can say is uugghh! What a major dissapointment. Boring exterior with some questionable design elements (front grill and skinny moon roof) and cheap, boring interior. If you are considering a Maxima I would run out quickly and get a great deal on a 2003. I say this as someone who seriously considered a 2003 Max last summer but didn't want to buy knowing the 2004 was around the corner. If I had seen the 2004 I may well have bought 2003 (ended up with a 2000 certified A6)
  • rinker1rinker1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 2000 GLE with 44k. It idles rough. Sometime worse than others. The car drives great awsome power but the rough idle is killing me. Any suggestions. I searched the boards and didn't find much help.
    Thx!!
  • aromasaromas Member Posts: 314
    It's an educated guess but I think they left Xenons optional because of some of the flak the lights are getting in the press about blinding oncoming drivers. They probably would give the consumer the option of being comfortable with that. I have to agree they are blinding. Thank god for auto-dimming mirrors.

While I think the Max looks fine in side profiles the front end is horrid(I hate chrome) that even a new grille wouldn't save. The only thing I found more disappointing at the auto show was the interior as well, it looked worse than the Alt's. The Alt has cheap materials but it looks okay but the Max is cheap and ugly. Other people thpught the dash was nice but I think it's a case of "Oh it's new so it must be nice", the same way people think the Accord looks nice because it's new.(ugh)

Apparently the 2004 has more torque steer than the last gen and the extra H.P. is offset by the extra weight. I think Nissan is outdesigning itself.This car looks like a dressed up Saturn Ion. I see big discounts coming by May

I'm scared to think what the next gen Altima and Sentra are gonna look like. Please no more chrome teeth!
  • dgraves1dgraves1 Member Posts: 414
    As a long time Maxima owner (I've had my '90 SE for 13 years now), I am also disapointed in the new Maxima, but I'm getting used to be disappointed in new Maximas. When the Altima came out and they said the new Maxima was going to move upscale, I got a picture in my mind of the new Maxima sharing the Infiniti M45 platform but using the 3.5 V6 and selling for low to mid 30s. That's a car I would have bought. Unfortunately, the 2004 seems like nothing more than a slightly stretched, gussied up Altima.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    Nissan botched the dash on the 2004. At least its not a Quest dash.

The 2004 that's been tested in the mags, did any of those test cars have the limited slip diff? That's supposed to help the torque steer.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Without knowing any service history on the car, you might try making sure the gasoline is premium grade, and adding a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the next tank as well.

Maxima's are pretty reliable cars (I have a 00 SE with 121k on it) but you should follow the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

What kind of service/maintenance has been done on the car within the first 44k? Any history or records?
  • jgardner1jgardner1 Member Posts: 1
    My 3yr lease is up on 2000 max se. 32k. I could buy it, but am looking for a great deal on a 2003 gle or se. What could I expect to pay in central Ohio?
  • rinker1rinker1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I don't know the service history for the last 44k but the car is in excellent condition. That's why I bought it. Extreamly clean and seems to be well cared for. I will go by some fuel injection cleaner.
    thx,
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Could be you got some crappy gas too. Did you go to the same station you have always gone to?
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    You have an 02 and you're talking about "my next car"??? ROFL, you're as bad as I am! I bought a new Intrigue 10 months ago, then after being disappointed in the 04 Max I went out and bought an 03 while I had at least some selection. I've wanted a Maxima since '89, and finally jumped. Here's hoping that the next gen (7th?) Maxima will be better...

jgardner1: Odds are the '00's residual is far above what the car is worth, check around and see. If you're thinking about an '03, jump fast, there aren't many left! You can get a stripped SE for ~$23.5 or loaded for ~$26 (post $1000 rebate). I got mine with roof and titanium package (no leather) for $24.5. Good luck!
  • jdimottajdimotta Member Posts: 55
    I was curious....I read the posts about it costing too much money converting my current halogens to Xenons in my 2001 Max...Has anybody found a specific make or brand of halogen ..briter and better for the headlites and foglites for the 2k's and 2k1's?..Do you have a part no.for these?
     Also...anyone have any experience rewiring the foglites so they will stay on without the headlites???...thanks...Joe D.
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    Perna... i dont know much about financing a car..so can u tell me what is 'residual'? thanks.

i would think that people could get a stripped 03 maxima for around 21k after applying the 1000 rebate. 23.5 after rebate is a lil much for a maxima at this point of the year when 04's are arriving on dealer lots... anyone agree or disagree?
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I go through cars like I go through video games! Once I get tired, I go out and get a new one! ;-)

Obi
    I know what you mean! I am on my 6th car in 7 years of driving. I finally found one I really like though, so I am going to try to stick with it for awhile.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I have those tires on my 2001 GLE. Lately, I've been noticing that my car has a tendency to hydroplane in the wet a lot more than it used to. I have about 35K miles and 2 1/2 years on these tires.

Anyone with these tires - how many miles did you get out of them? Mine appear half worn, but I am considering replacing them due to the wet handling problem.
    Since jgardner leased, at the end of his lease he as the option to buy the car or turn it in. The amount that Nissan says he can buy it for is the residual, and was determined back when he signed the lease. Since this amount isn't negotiable, I'm saying if he paid the residual he'd be overpaying for the car, since used '00s are probably going for less than what his residual is.

I think if you were able to find a GXE, it might be conceiveable you could get one for 21k post rebate. However, these cars are very rare, and I can almost guarantee there are none left at this point. I know I've never seen one.

If you're talking stripped SE, the dealer invoice on this is about $24.9 (give or take a couple hundred). Minus a thou for the rebate, that's 23.9. Anything less than that and the dealer is digging into his holdback (the amount that Nissan gives the dealer to cover the costs associated with running the dealership) to sell the car. They don't usually do this, but considering the 04s are on the lot *now*, they'd really like to get rid of them.

There may be some padding in my numbers, but I assure you a dealer is still not going to take a loss on a Maxima (21k on an SE is impossible). They're obviously very popular cars, and the dealer doesn't need to give them away to sell them. It's not like they're a Taurus or something....
    sgrd0q, i have the same exact tires u do on my 2k GLE... you've gotten 35k out of them? i thinkkkkkkkk they're more than just half worn.. mine look half worn too, but when the service place that does my oil change used his tire thread measurement thingajig, he said i was about 4/32's tread left.. that's near the end of life of your tires...

i have 35,400 miles on my tires and in the process of getting new ones before they hit 36k.. from memory, i think 36K was the most anyone ever gotten out of the 16in proxies..
  • jcw915jcw915 Member Posts: 31
    I have a 03 Maxima SE and I test drove the 04's for the hell of it today (a friend of mine is a sales person at the nissan dealer), all I can say is #$%$#@%^@ WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MAXIMA? Upon seeing it up close, the rear end looked like it had been slammed in by a semi truck. It's pretty deep but I find it hard to put luggage or cargo in the trunk without scratching the bumper because the space to get in is so small.
    The torque steer doesn't exist if you have the TCS turned on, if not, it's just as bad as the 02-03 when you slam down the acclerator. (I drove the automatic SE). It's about time they put a 5 speed transmisson in there. The 0-60 feels identical to the 02-03. Even though it's suppose to have 10 extra horsepower. The bose sound system is POWERFUL but I personally think it's over priced. ALl they did was add more watt and make the sub pump out more bass. The manual shift mode for the automatic transmission is kinda slow. I would expect better. Compared to the one Lexus has in their GS cars, it's sub par. The dash lighting isn't my style, I prefer my 03 colors in there. The one I drove had a MSRP sticker of around 35,000. I think that's CRAZY. 35000 for a NISSAN?!?! I do like the braking though, it seems a little more sharp compared to mine. Over all, the new maxima just seems a little bit clumsy and interior looked cheaply built. I wonder what kind of problems the first year model will have. Oh yeah and for everyone that's been wondering about the paint job...i'm not even going to go there. Feels IDENTICAL to the 2000-2003 maximas. And one last thing, they have got to get a smaller turning radius. I have a feeling i'll be keeping my 03 max for a VERY long time. Freaky to think what the future max will look like.

Just my 2 cents.
    kyleknicks - thanks for the tire update. Let us know what tires you end up buying, and what you think of them. I'll have to replace mine pretty soon too.
  • dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Can someone please offer some tips on cleaning the leather surface (seats, armrest, etc..) and dashboards inside my '02 Maxima.

I went to the dealer and they have an assortment of "professional" cleaners. Unfortunately they'll run me about $40-$50 total for the cleaner + the conditioner + the vinyl polish, etc..

According to the manual, soap water (eg. dove soap and water) is perfectly effective in cleaning the leather surface and other interior areas.
    But to me that just sounded a little too cooky !!

Has anyone done this successfully ?? Are the expensive polish and treatments worth buying ?
    Thanks!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I think the SE now has a 5 speed auto, the SL has the 4 speed auto. Don't understand why this is so though?
    Yeah SE is 5 speed auto or you can have 6 speed manual. SL is 4 speed auto no matter what. I think it's stupid. I like the Acura Tsx interior...anyone seen it?!

as for the person that asked for the cleaning leather stuff, DON'T BUY THOSE PROFESSIONAL THINGS. I don't recommend it. I just use laundry detergent (liquid type) or baby shampoo, and dilute it in WARM water. Use only a few drops. Then start scrubbing lightly on the seat, dash, and it even cleans windows. If you use those armor all, 2000, things like that, it leaves everything oily and a smell to it over period of time. I highly recommend baby shampoo though. It works great.

Tires anyone? I just replaced the oem bridgestone with michelin pilot sport all season z rated, and I think those tires are great. In the rain, it's 50 times better then the oem. I used to hydro plane going 35. Now I can go 40 and won't have a problem. Expensive though, had to wait a month from costco..something about it being back order. I think nissan is messed up, everyone is usually 215/50 or 235/45 but nooo, the SE is 225, which is impossible to find. Costco is selling them for 210.00.
  • berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    Hey D.......

I thought I had some mileage on my '00 SE until
    I just read your post about having 121,000 on
    yours. You have got to be doing some serious
    driving !!! I've got 80,000 which is way over normal for a '00 but I can't hold a candle to you!

JCW915: I just bought the same tires (Michelin
    Pilot Sport A/S) mounted on Mille Miglia wheels
    from Tirerack. Tires were 197.00 ea. mounted and
    balanced. They're sitting in my garage waiting
    for the winter to pass. Gonna' keep the Blizzaks
    on for a few weeks yet. We get "winter surprises"
    in east central Ohio and I hesitate to put them
    on the car prematurely since I drive 450 mi. a week
    back and forth to work on the interstate. Glad
    to hear you like the tires. I'm anxious to see how
    they'll perform. I've read nothing but good things about them!

berbel
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    We use Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner. My wife applies it about twice a year (to '00 GLE with 27K miles on it). It leaves no messy residue - but we typically let it stand for a day before we sit in the seats.
    Just my 2c.
    I use Meguiar's Gold Class on my Jetta's leather as well, makes it look and smell brand new every time I apply it.
    You're fixing that car up nicely, aren't you? :)
  • ikay99ikay99 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I have a 2000 Maxima GXE. I bought it about a month and a half ago. I am seeking some help/advice on the following matters and would greatly appreciate any inputs:

1. The gas mileage on this car has been around 20-21 miles per gallon including significant highway driving. Nissan claims this car gives 21 city/27 highway but I have not had mileage of over 21 miles per gallon despite significant highway driving. Can anyone tell me why that may be? Do I need to do something to the car to get better gas mileage?

2. I use premium gas (91 Octane) for this car which is what I was told is required for this vehicle. Someone told me that the low gas mileage may be due to using Premium gas as it is more refined form of gas and burns faster than regular. So by putting regular, I may improve my gas mileage. I am not sure if its true or not but I would like to know the Pros and Cons of using regular gas versus premium for my nissan and also if using regular gas would improve gas mileage or not.

I would greatly appreciate any responses.
    I'm up to 122,300 on my 00 SE. It's driven between 125-150 miles per day, five days a week (90%)on the freeway back and forth to work.

I use premium (93 octane here) and watch my tire pressure very carefully (32lbs cold). I also use the cruise control as much as possible and am traveling between 75-85mph on the tollways. I also use Mobile One full synthetic oil.

Gas mileage over the 122,300 is 23.72 (calculated manually every tank) with a best of 29.4 and a worst of 19.0.

I live in southeastern Wisconsin so I have to deal with crappy gas during the winter and the decreased efficency of the internal combustion engine in colder weather.

Overall, I'm not unhappy with the mileage but it is lower than I used to get (over the same route) with my 95 Maxima GLE. I think the difference (between the two cars) is the extra resistance because of the much wider tires on the SE.
    wow... 150miles per day... do you fill up on gas every 2 days? that's just crazy!!

how's the 2k max running with that kind of high miles so far?

if i had to drive that kind of distance, i would be looking into a Jetta TDI ... gets about 50miles per gallon of diesel just so i dont stop for gas 3x's a week

vocus, don't you commute about 112 miles? =)
    I will be commuting 112 miles daily soon, and plan to get a TDI Jetta within a year or so. I currently commute about 80 miles daily, but wanted the 1.8turbo in the 02 Jetta I have now... too power hungry I guess. :)
    "There may be some padding in my numbers, but I assure you a dealer is still not going to take a loss on a Maxima (21k on an SE is impossible). They're obviously very popular cars, and the dealer doesn't need to give them away to sell them. It's not like they're a Taurus or something.... "

I beg to differ. There are several local dealers advertising new 2003 SEs for $20,999. And these aren't "only one at this price" deals. They are all "20 at this price" or "12 at this price" type ads.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Just saw a review of the Jetta TDI and, although it gets excellent mileage, goes from 0-60 in about a half hour.

My choice for 40k+ miles a year would be a 1999 Mercedes E300 TD. One of my marketing consultants has one and averages 34 mpg. The car is almost as quick as the E320 gas model (8.3 vs. 7.5 0-60). And it really is built like a tank. Too bad we are still a couple of years from seeing a new E270 "neew generation" diesel in the US. It is even more impressive. As is the 330d, 530d,...
    "There are several local dealers advertising new 2003 SEs for $20,999. And these aren't "only one at this price" deals. They are all "20 at this price" or "12 at this price" type ads."

That price is completely impossible, unless they are demos or beaten rentals. Try to buy one, I guarantee there will be ~$2k worth of bogus fees.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    JCW915 or Berbel,

What is the treadwear rating/life expectancy for the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S you purchased? I doubt if I will get 25K miles out of my OEMs on my 02 Nissan Maxima SE (225/50/17). I realize you can't compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers, but I am curious nonetheless.
    I usually can get pretty close to 400 miles on a tank of gas so I usually only fill-up twice a week. We drive the wife's 95 Maxima on weekends so my 00 doesn't pick up any unnecessary extra miles.

Other than the scheduled dealer services at 30k, 60k, 90k and 120k, I've only replaced tires (at 90k, $900, Michelin Pilot A/S) and new front and rear brakes at 102k ($312). I've replaced a couple of bulbs, taillight and side marker light, and windhield wipers a couple of times, but that's been it. I do use Mobile One full synthetic and change it at 5000 mile increments.

I also don't abuse the car (well not real frequently:-)) because I know if well cared for they'll easily last out to 200k or more.

The 95 already has 19x,xxx something on it now and my 18 year old son is just dying for it to became his when my new Murano arrives in May.

I don't mean to sound like a Nissan commercial but my experience with them has been excellent, far better than any other make I've owned.

(Fords, Chevrolets, Toyota, Honda, Harley, and Suzuki.)
    dklanecky - you got 90k miles on the original tires? You be the man! What tires did you have - the toyos or the b'stones? How do the Michelins compare? Thx!
    Potenzas and I kept the best one for a back-up spare (in the garage) should I ever need one due to a flat.

It should be noted that I use dedicated snow tires in the winter thereby resting my expensive "performance" tires for a few months.

Probably over two winters, 22,000 miles were on the snows. So that made the actual life of the OE's about 78k.

The Michilen Pilots A/S are tremendous tires (IMO). A little bit noisier in highway driving but the traction is significantly better in the twisties and even around regular 90 degree street corners.

The car is just more fun to drive with the Pilots.

The trade off seems to be (other than a little bit more highway noise) a little more sensitive to steering input (for example, more small corrections on the highway) at freeway speeds (or maybe that's just me liking the way they respond to the input:-).

Expensive, yes but so far I'm seriously thinking that I'd probably buy them again when it's time.
    Wait until later this year when VW brings out their TDI Passat diesel. 134hp and 2--lb/ft of torque. It will be quicker.

Also, adding a modified airbox to a TDI VW will give it enough power to embarass a car that will get half its mileage on a gallon of biodiesel to boot...
    The Pilots will last a long time, they are a very good tire. They are expensive as all heck, but well worth it. You get what you pay for.. :)

The Bridgestone Poortenzas will have very poor wet traction as they wear. I know a couple people who have had almost life-threatening experiences on those tires, because their tread goes in about 30K and their wet traction gets worse and worse.
    perma - I don't know why you can't believe those prices. I bought both my 1990 Maxima and my 1994 Explorer, brand new for several thousand under invoice. And there were no bogus fees or adders. When I was shoppping for Expeditions last year, they were going for under invoice. Selling below invoice is quite common, especially when a new model is starting to show upon the lots.
    The 03 Maxima is selling for below invoice because they need to move the old design out before the new design comes in. Otherwise, the cars will sit on the lot and collect dust (and lose money).
    I have no clue what the thread wear rating is. But I can tell you that if you don't abuse it and have it properly alligned, they will last you A LONG TIME. My dad has a S430 and he got 4 of those tires, it's been 20,000 miles and those tires still look new. The mercedes is A LOT heavier then the maxima. If you get the pilot sport, you will not be disappointed. I've had my share of bridgestone tires. It lasted me 18k before they were about gone and the wet traction for the pilot is very very very good. Going into a puddle at 45 mph won't hydroplane, while the oem bridgestone can't handle anything over 30.
    can you guys provide some prices for these pilot tires? if they wear that well, i might get them myself.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    go to http://www.tirerack.com

I just paid $197 each plus $30 shipping (total, not each) last month.
    In 225/45-17 (the size I had) they were about $200 at Sam's Club and BJ's, so you don't really save any $ getting them from there vs. TireRack. I think Kimmel said $212 out the door for one, if I remember correctly...
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    true the price difference is neglibile - but getting a hold of the tires is the problem. I couldn't find them anywhere in Jan/Feb. Costco called Michelin a few times for me. Tirerack said 3-5 weeks. Finally at the end of Feb Tirerack had them and Costco called Michelin, who told them the current run wasn't even enough to fill the backorder. So, I had 4 sent to me from Tirerack, and Costco mounted them for $10 each.