Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    rebates, which the new maxima hasnt had, there are no better prices than right now...what i would do is this:

order one like you want, to be ordered in july (1st week). the car will come in with the '05s, and any incentives that will be available will be there when your car arrives.

settle on your price, but make sure it says that any incentives available at delivery are yours to keep in addition to the dealer discount.

the worst thing that can happen is that they dont offer rebates...then you just got the best price anyway.
  • Options
    kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    doubt i see any improvements in gas mileage..and no i have not cleaned and oiled my filter.. i'm waiting for it to get to 50k, because it says the dirtier it gets, the better the filteration...

as for cost... i could justtify the cost since, for 50k miles, i dont have to bother with it..and the regular filter is about $11.. changing it once every 10k miles, for 50k miles, gets my money's worth... but you'll probably get a better feeling knowing you're putting in a new filter everytime.. to each their own..
  • Options
    merlionmerlion Member Posts: 39
    kyleknicks:

Thanks for your input. I am trying to see if the majority has any problem with this air filter.

I am not expecting any boost in the hp. If I do, I will install some CAI system. Have u cleaned & re-oiled the air filter so far ? Do u see any increase in mileage ?
  • Options
    kyleknicks:

Thanks for your input. I am trying to see if the majority has any problem with this air filter.

I am not expecting any boost in the hp. If I do, I will install some CAI system. Have u cleaned & re-oiled the air filter so far ? Do u see any increase in mileage ?
  • Options
    kyleknicks:

• Options
    timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    Does anybody know what percentage of Maximas are equipped with manual transmissions? I'm looking to find a 6-speed 2002 or 2003 Maxima SE. I'm amazed that none show up on any internet used car sale web sites or even on ebay. How few people buy a Maxima with a stick shift?
  • Options
    ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I believe the dudes on maxima.org could tell you within a gnats [non-permissible content removed] but I'm saying about 5-10% of the SE's are sticks. That's less then 5-10% overall because the GLE's are all autos. They beefed up the tranny for 02-03 so the performance is much better than 00-01. Stick is still most performance though, but you gotta know how to drive it to get it.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    Very RARE!

I went out to Carmax of Greenville today to look at Maximas and Honda Accords.

Not ONE of them was a stick shift. As a matter of fact NONE of the new Maximas or Altimas had stick shifts.

The salemen even informed me to just give up because I am not going to find one, at least not at Carmax.

Especially if you want a fully loaded Maxima (I do)

I am going to keep looking though.
    If I decide to get the Altima, I will just have to order it from the factory....same goes for the Maxima.
  • Options
    bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    My hunch: When the slick new Acura TL appears in October, at about the same price as a loaded Maxima, it will be rebate time for Nissan
  • Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    They are exremely hard to find. Based on my experience, the ratio is about 50 automatics to one manual. Some dealers do not even carry them or order them at all. Our local Nissan dealership had one new 2002 manual SE,which was sold only a few months ago. It sat on his lot for year and a half. I saw one manual 04 locally in the last three months.
  • Options
    kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    If you go to the Maxima.org website (Pat, please don't be mad at me) you would think most people drive manual Maximas. I personally don't know how to drive a manual, but given an opportunity to learn (may be with a rental car rather than my new Max), I probably would prefer driving a manual, particularly where it does not involve a lot of stop and go city traffic.

I think driving a manual probably makes a driver more engaged with and alert to road conditions. But most people, especially here in America and women (don't call me sexiest), would like to drive automatics because of the wide roads and ease of operation. Although I don't have any empirical data to back myself, I believe most Europeans know how to drive manuals.
  • Options
    timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    Thanks for the maxima.org recommendation. According to the maxima wonks over there, about 3 percent of maximas have manual transmissions.

Bowke, I assume your post was trashed by the host. Can you summarize what percent of Maximas your dealership gets are manuals and how many you currently have on your lot? If your post # 7208 is accurate, I don't know why your previous post was deleted.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If anyone has questions about topic management, please email me and do not post here.

Thanks.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    At the time I bought my 1995 Maxima SE, I distinctly remember seeing an estimate that approximately 10% of 1995 Maximas were manual transmission: 0% of GLE's, 10% of GXE's and 25% of SE's.

Sounds like those numbers have drifted lower, but I would be surprised if less than 15% of the SE's of the 2002/3 were manuals. The 6-speeds were in high demand here and my dealer estimated that 20% of the SE's that they sold were 6-speeds - most at less of a discount than a similarly equiped automatic.

On the "sexist" comment, my two daughters - ages 5 & 8 - have mastered the 1-2 shift on our Honda S2000 from the passenger seat (I work the clutch). My 15 mph self imposed speed limit doesn't allow them to try the 2-3 shift. When we were doing some early shopping for an SUV replacement, my 5 year old asked the Honda sales person why a Pilot didn't have a "stick shift". His explanation didn't satisfy her and she responded (rather loadly) that we should get the BMW X5 3.0 5-speed. That raised an eyebrow or two.
  • Options
    ssn171ssn171 Member Posts: 4
    I've heard that the '02/'03 with manual were around 5% of production. I've also noticed that the great majority of manuals were NOT loaded - pretty much the basics only. My 6-speed is pretty rare in the sense that's it's loaded except for navigation so I feel fortunate.
  • Options
    Again, topic management issues - questions or comments about deleted messages and the like - need to be addressed to me via email, not posted here. Another alternative would be to email our Community Manager, Sylvia, at sylvia@edmunds.com.

Thanks.
  • Options
    monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Your right SSN171 they only made up about 8% of the numbers made for 02/03 which is roughly 8,000 something vehicles. Production of the Max in 02 went down from 125,000 per year to slightly over 80,000 units in anticipation of the 02 Altima. It will even less with production of the 04 to be limited to the 70-75,000 per year. How do I know I am Accountant at NIssan HDQ in, Gardena, CA.
  • Options
    Since you say that you are an accountant at Nissan, I would like to ask the following question: Who determines Nissan part prices? The reason I ask it because some are so outrageous that it defies any logic. For example, I wanted to replace the outside mirror base on my 95 SE V6 pickup. It is made of chromed plastic which magically started to corrode.I have to buy the whole mirror for over $ 200 if I want to fix this ugly problem. The short chain which holds the spare wheel suspended under the bed has corroded also, as it is not stainless, but merely cadmium plated carbon steel. I almost spilled my coffee when I heard what two feet of replacement chain with a bracket welded on its end costs: over $ 120! Is somebody really trying hard to make sure I never buy another Nissan again? First, they use substandard materials that corrode, then they ensure that you pay through your nose to get them replaced. For your information, heat treated cad plated 1/2 inch dia link chain, which is probably ten times stronger than the subject spare wheel chain, sells for about $ 6 a foot. You can buy 15 feet of heat treated 3/8 inch dia link tow chain with hooks on both ends for $ 20. Is there something wrong with this picture? I take pride in my truck and like to maintain it in mint condition. Nissan is not very helpful here.
  • Options
    berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    You opened a can of worms. Go get em'!

I couldn't agree with you more. I am not opposed in
    any way to making a profit. That's what business is
    all about. But, in a huge number of cases, if you
    look at what you are receiving for the money you are spending, it (the cost) is absolutely absurd
    and beyond all reason and logic. When you question
    "why" you get totally incomprehensible "spin" like,
    "Well, that's just what it cost."

berbel
  • Options
    brymilbrymil Member Posts: 18
    How about $1.60 for the brass washer for the oil drain plug?? Does anyone know if a regular flat washer can be used or for that matter, any other substitute washer?
  • Options
    I do not replace the special copper washers at every oil change. In fact I reuse them at least five times with no problems so far. These washers become essentially flat washers after they are compressed after first use. I believe that you could use a flat copper of aluminum washer, but it must be a tight fit around the plug threads. The interesting thing is that you need to replace flat washers as well, especially soft aluminum ones because tightening the plug cuts grooves in these washers. Note: My 98 Maxima and 95 pickup use the same washer.
  • Options
    I do not replace the special copper washers at every oil change. In fact I reuse them at least five times with no problems so far. These washers become essentially flat washers after they are compressed after first use. I believe that you could use a flat copper of aluminum washer, but it must be a tight fit around the plug threads. The interesting thing is that you need to replace flat washers as well, especially soft aluminum ones becauase tightening the plug cuts grooves in these washers. Note: My 98 Maxima and 95 pickup use the same washer.
  • Options
    monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Well each dealers management determines their prices based on the market and anticipated volume, but they all pay the same fro the same parst to Nissan.. Nissan doesnt set the price for any dealer, that is why the prices varies from dealer to dealer even if they are owned by the same company for Instanace Bankston in Dallas which owns Lewisville/Dallas and Irving. Call each dealer for the same part and the price will be different, some high volume parts dealers like courtesy Nissan are bale to sell at discount because they do a high volume and with sales cross the country and Canada.
  • Options
    ksummittksummitt Member Posts: 3
    I am torn and this is the last thing I have to decide before I buy. I've always had a sunroof, but something about they Skyview is just cool...if you have one are u still glad or would you prefer the power sunroof? Thanks
  • Options
    kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    I have seen the skyview roof and I agree it looks kind of cool, at least for a while. But if you like cooling down the inside of your car quickly in the summer, the sunroof does the job very well. Also the sunroof gives you the open air motoring feel during the day (albeit a bit noisy at highway speeds)and lets you enjoy the moon and the stars at night if you recline your seats (of course with the motor off). That said, I prefer having two sunroofs, one in front and the other in the back, for everyone to equally enjoy.
  • Options
    jpellijpelli Member Posts: 13
    I saw this product and really liked it, so I went to their Website to order it and it's $37.00 plus 12.50 shipping for a total of 49.50!! Do any of you know where I can get this same product at a discount? Thanks.
    Joe
  • Options
    bkswardbksward Member Posts: 93
    So does a full size spare fit in the well in a 5th gen Max? I have a 2002 SE. Also, trying to keep it cheap, does anyone make a 17" steel wheel, or should I just find an appropriate 16" steel wheel and tire?

Advice?
  • Options
    why are u getting one that's so expensive? is there something special about it? i bought one from Target that's like that, and it's got the metal rods inside so when you open it, it pops open... i can't see paying 50bucks for a sunshade.. i think i got mine for $8 on sale.. it goes for like $12.. i'll take a pic of it in my car sometime....
  • Options
    jpellijpelli Member Posts: 13
    I saw one in a 03 Maxima in the parking lot here at work. Saw one also in a Passat. It's a perfect fit. Covercraft makes them for all car models. I now use a cheapie one-size-fits-all shade, but when I saw the Covercraft that's the one I wanted, just not going to pay $50. I've seen three Covercrafts now and I have a feeling those guys didn't pay $50 either. So, if there's a source for getting them cheaper, I want to find it. BTW I have a feeling if you saw one you'd want one too. Just not for $50.
    Joe
  • Options
    berbelberbel Member Posts: 167
    I've been on this board since 2000 and have never
    seen it this stagnant! What happened?

berbel
  • Options
    ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    I don't know. Maybe everyone is still in shock about the 04 Maxima.

I must say that it's starting to grow on me a little, if I don't pay too much attention to the front. The rear is sharp.

But, it is still way too pricey.
  • Options
    I've been visiting this board pretty much daily since around late 99 early 2000 also. I still have my 2000 SE Autotragic, loaded, white with black leather, and 54K miles. Going in shop Monday for blown O2 sensor. Been pretty solid besides that, just tires and routine stuff. Ditto on the 04's being too expensive. I test drove an 04 6-sp and it was ok but didn't hit me in the gut and make me wanna trade in my 00. Yes I'd like the extra power and few more features, but for the extra $$ it'd cost, plus what I'd lose on my car with trade in, not to mention the TONS of hours I've spent washing it and waxing it and babying it. My decision has been made, next vehicle is an SUV for the wife (Murano, Pilot, QX4, something with AWD), I'll drive the 00 Max til the SUV is paid off, then I want a Z car and the Max becomes a winter beater!!
    ~seeya
  • Options
    g00chg00ch Member Posts: 10
    After a trudging summer here in Phoenix, and even though we are still in the 100's, I have started hitting the gas with a little more authority. I have noticed a significant loss of power when I apply more than 50% throttle in my 2000 SE 5-spd. It's significant to the point to where my head actually lurches forward when the tach hist 3300.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?
  • Options
    Maybe needs throttle body cleaning?? Could be fuel issue, like fuel pump or filter maybe? Bad gas? Coils? I'd try maxima.org and start asking the pros. They know more about Maxis than you'll find anywhere else. Go into the 5th gen forum and SEARCH first and then start making posts. You'll be surprised what you'll find.

~seeya
  • Options
    g00chg00ch Member Posts: 10
    Thanks... I will peruse maxima.org and see what I can find.
  • Options
    bemathewbemathew Member Posts: 33
    can you guys suggest something other than maxima.org? thanks
  • Options
    Uhhh, how about right here! :D

Folks, it would be appreciated if you did not use the Town Hall to promote other automotive message boards. In fact, your Membership Agreement requires that you not do so.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • Options
    you mentioned u have a white max with black leather..how's that possible? white only came with beigh leather from what i recall unless u got aftermarket.... i remembered this because that's exactly what i wanted.. white with black leather..
  • Options
    I agree that the exterior of the new Maxima is decent looking. I would have done a couple of things differently, but overall, I think it's even better looking than the G35 sedan and many of the other Japanese mid-price offerings.

The interior, on the other hand, is dissapointing. Nissan just doesn't get it. Audi does. BMW does. Mercedes does. Even Honda mostly does.

Design by MTV insipired committee is not what a lot of us who would like a $30k alternative to a $40k+ 5-series want. It's not that hard to get clean lines, quality materials and attractive ergonomics. My 1995 Maxima had it for it's day. Nissan needs to clean house when it comes to their interior design group.
  • Options
    eblumeblum Member Posts: 52
    I totally agree with you about their interior quality issues (based on my experience with the new Altima). They hit a home run because they were able to build a car that looks great on the exterior but then fumble when it comes to the interior quality. Some manufactures seem to be able to get all of the ingredients right...like BMW. I have to say I recently went to the Mercedes C-Spot event and drove several of the C's and was not impressed. The G35 is a better built car inside and out.

Why don't they pull some real people into these prototype review sessions so we can say "uh...do you realize that the interior looks like the plastic that was used on my 1977 Olds Omega?" And if they are using people from the public to give feedback, get some with taste! :)

I saw a story that Nissan is using customer input heavily on the new Titan pickup truck...maybe that will improve our concerns and make them see the light.
  • Options
    Yep, that's what I have, a 2000 Icelandic Pearl colored SE Automatic with the stock black leather interior. It's loaded w/ all options that were available at the time. I bought in Oct/Nov of 1999 when the new design had just come out. I even have the stock 16" wheels instead of 17"ers.
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    The main problem with the new Maxima is that Nissan jacked up the price beyond the budget of a lot (or perhaps even most) of the current Maxima owners. So where are the current owner's to turn - the Altima, a car with a cheaper interior and less power than the retired Maxima? I think not.
  • Options
    So where are the current owner's to turn - the Altima, a car with a cheaper interior and less power than the retired Maxima?

Mazda6, Passat, Accord, GP-CompG would be my guess. If I wanted a coupe I'd check out that new Solara, has a really nice almost Lexus'ish interior. Funky looking on the outside though.
  • Options
    nissan may lose a few previous maxima owners, but they will pick up alot more "others" dissatisfied owners of avalons, TLs, CTSs, LSs, etc...
  • Options
    With the exception of the CTS and it's usual GM tupperware, all those have a much better interior than the new Max. My humble opinion of course.
  • Options
    i disagree, but not by much...i think the max has a poorly thought out interior, but the materials are just fine to me.
  • Options
    fredleefredlee Member Posts: 3
    Correct me if I'm wrong. I saw posting here that MRSP for a fully loaded SE Auto is US$35K+-. However a fully loaded SE auto in Canada is listed at $37K (auto leather package)or $38K w/. sunroof. This give approx. USD equivalent of US$27K!

I assume people in US usually get deeper discount while those in northern border don't.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    In the past month or so here in southern Delaware, I see more and more '04 Maximas everywhere! My favorite is a pearl white SE with beige leather and the power sunroof just down the road--every inch is absolutely gorgeous and I'd trade one of my current cars for one in a minute. A lot of others are SL's that look almost as nice, except for the too small 17" wheels.

Actually, a lot of the "new" Nissans sell like crazy around here. '02+ Altimas are probably the most common, and best selling sedan. Muranos are becoming quite popular, too, and I just saw a sparkling new loaded silver '04 Quest and about two weeks ago, and loved it. I can see them doing very well, and should start seeing tons of them soon, maybe even as many as the new '04 Toyota Siennas.

Just thought I'd add this little tidbit on Nissan popularity. The gorgeous styling of almost every model appears to be winning over the cheap interiors in some models, big time!
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I like that tupperware comment. I'm still not sold on the '04 yet. I like it some days and other days I don't. That front end still bugs me. I've only briefly thought of trading in my 02 SE then I quickly dismiss that notion. I don't know what demo they're marketing to but I see mostly senior folks driving the new max here in MD.
  • Options
    That due to pricing and/or interior quality some prospective Maxima buyers might venture towards a Solara or Pontiac. One drives like a Buick the other is built like one. As much as I would like to see Nissan get their interior styling act together, I hope prospective buyers don't go that far in the other direction.

It still seems to me that among 4 door FWD sedans, the Maxima provides the best bang for the buck in terms of driving dynamics and performance. It's one of the few offered with a 6-speed. I'd keep my 1995 SE another 5 years before I'd go soft with a Camry Solara.

Perhaps Nissan's designers will read this thread and make some changes before it's too late.