Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• kimj1kimj1 Member Posts: 32
    I did it! I bought a 2001 GLE yesterday. It is Sterling Mist and has everything except traction control and 6 disc changer. We were able to purchase through NVPP and got a very good price. Sticker price is 29,212 and we got it for 25,175. We were also able to qualify for 5.9% for 60 months.

We couldn't be happier with this car. It is a real beauty. I will take it in next week to have the windows tinted and it will look even better.

I want to thank everyone on this board for all of the informative posts. I know this is going to be a great car. This is my second Nissan. I just recently got rid of my 87 sentra that had over 170,000 miles on it and it was still running great. I look forward to enjoying this car for many years to come. Kim
  • lsflsf Member Posts: 98
    I agree with you, but you must admit two things: 1) there could be more soundproofing in the wheel wells, and 2) if you had wind noise in your back seat you might lose your mind too.

Body creaks...that's another matter. If you can hear the body creaks, the car is otherwise very quiet (and it's cold outside)!
    Anyone here replaced a cracked windshield? Mine is in need and I'm curious if anyone else has done it. Some auto glass places use OEM parts and some don't. I'd like to know what the various experiences are if any out there. Thanks
  • norbert444norbert444 Member Posts: 195
    Speed, you're right, our posts are sometimes bordering on silliness. Just look at my earlier post (#787) which you could have rightfully ridiculed also.

...which leads me to another problem with this new Edmunds system: If the host or anyone deletes any messages in the thread, all subsequent messages get renumbered with no number gaps. Sooo, by the time you read this, 787 could be 785... Whacko couldn't have done better...
    I have done it years ago on Fairlane, in unheated garage at 20 below. (Don't ask why under those conditions...)

It was an arduous process, using piano wire, and I used a windshield from a junk yard. If the temperature were above freezing, the job would not be difficult, though.

As far as I know, most repair places tend to use non-OEM windshields, if they can get away with it.

I do not remember off-hand if the Max windshield contains an antena, which is a slight complication you need to consider.
  • 20012kse20012kse Member Posts: 15
    Windshield repair shops will use what ever you or your insurance company tells them to use period!! If you are putting a claim through your insurance company the windshield repair shop knows what the insurance company will pay for, sometimes they have to get approval for the repair and the insurance company will almost always specify using non-OEM windshields because they are cheaper. If you want to use a Nissan windshield then you have to pay more for the label that goes on that windshield. The repair shop has to pay more so you have to pay more.

As far as getting away with using OEM windshields, you get what you pay for. If you want to pay more, then purchase an OEM windshield. Nobody should be charged for an OEM windshield unless they do not ask what they are paying for. We as consumers have to at the very least ask what we are paying for!!!
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    My y2k max gle is 1/12 years old now with 31000 miles on it. When I first bought it the doors were hard to close not because they were not aligned properly but because they are built like a solid bank vault. Don't have the dealer touch them or you will be sorry. The doors will break in just fine after a few months of opening and closing. Mine close nice and easy now but still close like a bank vault. Also remember that air pressure in your car will make the doors seem harder to close. Try rolling down an opposite window and you will see the difference. After 31000 miles the only thing I have had done was the tcm replacement and the passenger side a pillar creak fixed. I have no wind noise at all in any door. In fact this is the best car I have ever owned. I am beginning to wonder if anyone else here thinks this. This board has turned into a complaint forum. You guys really ought to trade your Maximas in and buy an Acura or Passat so you will see how good your Max really was!!
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    Well, I think that Nissan should have done something better with the Maxima styling. Look at the G20 or the I30. I think those cars have more muscular looks. I would have seriously consider the new Maxima if it had looks more like the G20.. IMO. Oh well, I guess the styling gets to you after a while.. just like the previous generation which I thought looked worst than the generation before.

People complaining about wind noise? Much be howling really loud. My family had bought 3 Maximas (although two had transmission problems, but that was with the old V-6 engine, not the VQ.. think it was the VE or something) and we never had problems with noises. If you are only griping about wind noise then that means the car is pretty quiet. I had cars that I wish had wind noises instead of engine and road noises. I find that wind noise can be drowned out by music alot easier than engine or road noise since they tend to be louder.

I replaced an old car of mine a while back with one made by PPG and with lifetime warranty. Insurance paid for most of it and I had to pay a small deductible at that time.
    No wonder you are so stern with everybody. You must be tired from driving 31000 miles in one month - that's a thousand miles per day! ;-)

Seriously now, since you want to know: My Max is also the best car I ever owned and it is indeed a wonderful car. The type of complaints especially the last few days are not serious, wouldn't you say?

Last, do you really think we ought to go and join the acura crowd? :=(
    Have a Max day...
    It's no wonder why everyone likes and respects you so much? Your up to your old tricks again?
  • ahalbertahalbert Member Posts: 5
    This occurs in both 2000 and 2001 Maximas of all types. Mine is noticeable above about 55 mph. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from - the seals on the door, the window, or the quarter-window.

I found a post by jamber around Nov. 30 (thanks, brianuhl) saying his servicemen thought it was the quarter-window seal, and they ordered new seals, gasket, and glass. Said it was backordered, suggesting many others were having this problem.

But Joenissan says they're mistaken (or lying), since the quarter-window's a unitary part and unlikely to spring a leak. Those of us with the mysterious noise are anxious to know if anyone got this fixed. Was the quarter-window a fix or a feint?

Joenissan: Any follow-up comments?
  • ahalbertahalbert Member Posts: 5
    I ordered a very unusual combination for my 2000 SE: C&C, heated cloth seats and TCS, with the Satin Blue Pearl/Frost. At first the salesman insisted that you couldn't get heated cloth seats. But after paying $500 deposit, helping the dealer figure out the order form, and waiting 3-1/2 months, my car arrived exactly as I ordered. I had called dealers in other parts of the country to have them do computer checks to confirm there wasn't a single car like the one I wanted (in ANY color).

Joenissan (and one of the dealers I talked to) insists that Nissan doesn't factory order any vehicles from Japan, they simply locate one already built. I think he is mistaken or out-of-date on this one. Even if it's just a monthly order-entry system, and you have to order one of the allowable combos (per the sales brochure), you CAN factory-order your car if you can persuade the dealer to do it for you and if you can wait 3-4 months. I am enjoying my heated cloth seats.
  • iluvmaxiluvmax Member Posts: 33
    Oops sorry Norbert444 I meant I have had my Max for 1 1/2 years. But if I could drive it a 1000 miles per day I would!!.
    Please don't take my post on door shutting as a complaint...I like it!....and you're right, it provides a very solid feel to the car. The reason I posted it was to point out that if the doors don't close like that, then that might indicate a problem. For example, if it is the air tightness that causes the door to shut firmly on mine and yours, then those that don't have that are likely to have air escaping somewhere and hence a potential wind noise issue.

I applaud anyone who has the patience to wait for three or more months for a car. Once I know what I want, I am usually willing to make some compromises to get it sooner.
    iluvmax - Happy to see you do not take offence at my facetious remarks. It's all in the family... :)

I know what you mean about the joy to drive this machine. It's been raining cats here - but my morning commute with the CD playing was a pleasure!!

lsf - If it were just air escaping, then a simple bubble test should uncover the problem spot(s). But the "problem" might be more than that. Such as misalignment of parts...
  • wg45678wg45678 Member Posts: 55
    OEM glass vs non OEM. I vote for OEM glass. I have had 4 windshield or rear window replacements over the last twenty years. The only one that fit right and was relatively distortion free was the OEM windshield. The non-OEM windshields, on different cars, from different vendors, didn't fit right (too thick or weren't curved correctly) or had terrible optical distortion.

One windshield leaked and the glass company tried to tell me the leak was due to rust in the window frame when it was obvious that the glass didn't fit. On another car, it took 3 non-OEM windshields before I had one that didn't have easily visible distortion in the part of the glass I look through while driving (this is straight ahead, not at an angle). Really annoying when you hit a bump, the car moves relative to you and phone poles/light poles waiver.

If you go none OEM, make sure to take a good look through the glass first before they install -- it will save you time.

ANd if you have any problems, call your insurer to stop payment to the vendor until you get it resolved.
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    Hi, everyone.
    Responding to the post in the last couple of days about finding the site where you can view TSB's by yearly subscription:
    I haven't even gone to the site, so can't verify anything about it, but the latest post with their web address was on the I30 board, post #414
    -umpopa
    I just set up an appointment this morning with Executive Glass here in Boston. They'll come to my office here downtown and do the work in the garage under the building. The guy said they buy their glass from the same companies that supply the OEMs "It just won't have the Nissan stamp on it." I'll guess I'll know for sure tomorrow. Executive Auto Glass advertises that they use OEM glass!

BTW, a pebble hit it back in November. It was fine (a pretty good sized pit) until Jan 1st when ice fell off a tree. The ice landed no where near the pitted spot, but the jolt must have produced enough stress (I was going about 40 MPH) to cause the pit to become a crack. Since then 2" has turned into 18". Every little bump in addition to the cold weather has contributed.
  • jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    I had to have my windshield replaced because I bumped my rear view mirror and it broke off and took with it a chunk out of the inside lamination of the glass. First I excepted the cheaper glass made by a company I had never heard of. After driving for several days, I could tell that the view through the glass was distorted, and I was getting headaches looking though it. I told the shop about it, and they agreed to replace it. PG glass is what Nissan uses EM, so I had them put PG glass on. It was more expensive, but no distortion.
  • jbadamsjbadams Member Posts: 63
    What is the spell checker doing?! That should be PPG and OEM instead of PG and EM.
    Sorry.
  • pateros67pateros67 Member Posts: 19
    Please excuse my ignorance. What is OEM? I have to get a windshield replaced in my 1995 Max & want to be sure I get the best glass.
    OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer." In this case, it would be Nissan glass.

I believe there are several "grades" of glass. OEM (Nissan) stamped windshields would conform to Nissan specifications (opaqueness, tint, optical distortion, lunkers, scratches, curvature tolerances, hardness, etc). I would be suspicious if someone tells you "We are OEM suppliers to Nissan and therefore we give you the OEM windshield, it would just not be stamped with Nissan logo". Which could mean that they'll give you the windshield which did not pass the optical distortion part of the specification or whatever -therefore no stamp!

Just my 2c.
    Well the guy just showed up 10 minutes ago. I met him at street level to make sure he had the right garage. The odor in the van was unmistakeable. He'd been tokin' a little reefer. I hope the things goes okay. He did mention the two year warranty! LOL...my guess is it'll be PPG.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    this seems like a pretty dumb question, my dad has been wondering what grade engine oil our 2000 maxima GLE is supposed to use. thanks
    There is a section in your owner's manual which has recommendations for you depending on your local winter/summer temperatures etc.

There are people who will tell you one brand is better than another. In reality, it turns out that oil specifications for the same grade are the same for all brands. And your oil has to have that "starburst" symbol for gasoline engines.

A lot of folks here have recommended and are using synthetic oil such as Mobil 1.

My personal preference is for "real oil" but that might have something to do with my profession. I believe the most important thing is to change oil when it's due and not worry about brands...
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    See my response to your verbatim post on the Maxima VS Passat thread. Why do you stalk me?
    Gregg
  • klinklin Member Posts: 54
    Hello,

I have a 2000 Max GLE.

Recently, there is a loud squeaking noise from the center arm-rest area.

I notice that the squeaky noise is there only when the seat belt is latched. If I un-latch the seat belt (driver side), the squeak disappears.

I can also work-around the squeak by re-stretching and re-latching the seat belt. But this only works occasionally.

I am checking if owner has similar problem and how it is fixed.

Thanks.
  • ludacrisludacris Member Posts: 185
    i have the same car but no problem, have you tried adjusting the seat height to see if it only happens when the seats a certain height? or is it there at any adjustment?
  • joenissanjoenissan Member Posts: 313
    Kin.....seeing as one has nothing to do with the other, try spraying the armrest hinges with a DRY silicne spray...any brand will do. be sure you also spray the parts of the armrest pivots that allow it to be raised and lowered...your noise will be gone !

Joe
  • ck2401ck2401 Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently looking at a '01 Max SE in Southeast Virginia. The dealer keeps wanting to charge me $470 for a "marketing assessment" he says Nissan charges him. He showed me the "invoice" for what that was worth. Anybody else know about Nissan charging their dealers this?

Thanks
  • shermaxshermax Member Posts: 31
    There may be an advertising fee but it should be closer to $200. There may is also a destination charge of $520. If you having trouble, go online and get a cyber bid and take that back to your dealer and have him match it. I have found cars.com very helpful.

Joe, welcome back. Why don't you stick around. Most of the lunacy has gone away.
    I see the childish "lunacy" continues. There's no need for those kinds of posts...please stick to the proper forum...for the sake of those of us here to talk Maximas.....Thanks

Joe
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    You come into the new Z car forum, you drop an bomb and leave!. Are you trying to say you got a peek at the production version of the Z and your holding out on us??. Come on buddy!...we are all dying with anticipation...be a sport and spill the beans.

Speed
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    Hi, everyone.
    When I started reading this board some months ago, I was impressed with the knowledge of Maximas and cheerful, cooperative, and supportive approach brought to this board by the most valuable person whose contributions I have read. In my opinion, it was a great loss when Joenissan took a sabbatical; I am VERY happy he is back.

Should anyone be a distractor, I would respectfully urge you to take the advice of the host, who has asked us to restrict comments to Maxima issues, not petty ones.

Welcome back, Joe.

-umpopa
  • sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    Has anyone else had the idle speed drop to near zero after a cold start as you shift into D or R?

I have since the weather turned cold and noticed that a TSB is listed on the NHTSA site.

What is the "fix" and is it worth the time to take it to the dealer?

Thanks
    STEVE
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    Thank you. I also (again) urge everybody to take the advice I have offered in the past. A number of inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    YES ! It's well worth the trip to the dealer. The TSB pertains to an "irregular" ECU mapping problem that is usually fixed by a reprogramming or ECU replacement depending on the build date of your car. The TSB will rid your car of any further low RPM problems.

Umpopa...Very nice words, I thank you.

Joe
  • sascuderisascuderi Member Posts: 73
    I will take it in and then give an update for others.

STEVE
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    joenissan welcome back to the forum. it's looks like you, sounds like you, it must be you.
    Semper Fi
    LOL...Thanks...I think.

Joe
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    I do not see any posts from joenissan that contain name-calling that not have been removed. I'd suggest that you get a valid email address by which we can contact you.

Thank you,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    Has anyone else noticed how awkward it is to park the Maxima? I find that many times I have to back up and re-park when pulling into head on parking. I constantly under-estimate the amount of clearance needed to park. I test drove a used 95 maxima before I bought my 2001 and I made a u turn on a side street and held the wheel left and turned in a circle several times. I was surprised how little room was needed to make a complete circle. My Maxima is the complete opposite. I have the 17" wheels. Could that be why?
  • slotheadslothead Member Posts: 14
    My 2K 5spd has 16k on it now and this is the second time I had this horrible noise coming from the engine when starting up. It sounds like terrible tapping/ marbles sound and last for about a min. or two. Sounds like no oil in engine. (there is).
    Any thoughts?
    With you back in the new Millenium, this forum is whole again...

And a special thank you to our host, L8_Apex, for being vigilant!
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    Car has less then 10,00 miles on it, no problems except water drain in sun roof became plugged and rain water was diverted down the A post and some ran into the head liner. HOWEVER, wife took car for short ride yesterday and then the car sat for 20 minutes. We tried to go for a short ride but never made it. After 2 blocks all the instruments went to "0" and the idiot lights came on. If I didn't know better, I think the timing chain went. Car wouldn't start even trying the security measures. Car was towed to the dealer but haven't heard anything yet. Any ideas?
    It is dependent on how far you can turn the wheels, and to a lesser extent on the distance between the axles. The tire diameter has very little influence on the turning radius. I believe the y2k and the 01 maximas have the axles farther apart (as compared to the earlier years).
    The turning circle diameter for the 2001 Maxima 16 inch wheels is 35.4 feet. The turning circle diameter for the 2001 SE Maxima with 17 inch wheels is 40 feet. These numbers are taken right out of the 2001 Maxima Product Guide Book issued to dealers. So the tire diameter has a lot to do with turing radius on the 2000-2001 Maxima. Why would they limit the turning radius on the 17 inch wheels, I'm sure wasn't because we wanted to back up a few times in order to make a turn.
    20012kse is correct in his/her above message. My previous message was based on geometry principles (from my rusty brain) but the actual figures quoted by him/her are correct.

BTW, you're right on the parking being a bit difficult. I have tried back-in parking quite a bit and find it not so easy either, since the visibility over the high trunk is limited. An auto-tilting right-side mirror (like on some luxury cars) would help...
  • e_m_perore_m_peror Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems shifting? I recently bought a 2000 Maxima and have put about 300 miles on it (it had about 100 when I bought it), and while I was turning realizes that it would not shift into 2nd gear (it's a 5 speed). No matter what I did it would not shift into 1st or second gear, the rest of the gears were fine. Needless to say I was not happy and had it towed for the dealer to look at.
    If the timing chain broke, you'd know about it. When this happens, the cams are no longer connected and therefore do not turn when the starter is engaged. You probably have a bad ECU. The sunroof also has 4 drains so...one clogged wont cause water to come it...Have it checked out by Nissan.

Slothead....The only cause of the noise you mention, that I've come across, is the use of either a Fram or Nissan oil filter. Switch to either a Purolator, WIX, or Mobil oil filter...I bet your noise will be gone. Fram, as well as even Nissan, oil filters flow-back valves are junk and cause a "dry" start.

Joe