Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    I have a black 91 Maxima SE with only 71K on it. I store it each summer at my Arizona home and only drive it during the winter months. It is in mint condition. Only one tech has worked on the car and he says it has to be the nicest 91 he has seen.

Does anyone out there know anything about the reliability of the automatic transmission on the 91 model? I have complained to my mechanic that when I am doing city driving and going 45 or am on the highway going 70 and have to make a sudden stop for a red light, that the transmission seems to shift down with a noticeable jerk directly into the lowest gear... The tech has test driven the car and has not been able to re-produce this shiftdown. He thinks the transmission is fine. I would appreciate any feed back anyone can give me. Thanks
  • dwinkdwink Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know if the navigation system in the 2007 Maxima is Voice activated like those in the Accord and Camry?
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Well, I just can't believe it! I'm sitting
    here writing this at 2:10 in the morning.
    Yesterday at around 6:15 p.m. on my way home,
    a young college kid ran a stop sign, I mean
    blew right on through and basically T-boned
    my Maxima on the right front side. The impact
    caused me to veer into the oncoming lane and
    then veer off the road toward a large building.

I ended up running into a set of three four
    foot concrete poles, causing the grill to
    buckle into a sharp V inward, the hood to
    completely buckle up and the entire windshield
    cracked, and both airbags went off.

I ended up with cuts on four fingers of my
    right hand (Can't figure out how, except for
    maybe the airbag), a small cut on top of my
    left foot and an abrasion on my right foot
    and now the bruising and the contusions are
    showing up on my stomach and my right upper
    thigh. My left hand is swollen in the knuckle
    area and I have an egg-shaped knot on my
    left forearm near the elbow. Otherwise, I'm
    fine.

The Max looked really pitiful. I feel so
    guilty because I've been antsy for a new car.
    I wasn't expecting to have to make a new car
    decision this soon. By the way, the kid that
    hit me was driving a 1997 Maxima. Ironic,
    huh? He definitely sustained less damage than
    I did, but still had to be towed away also.

I was also getting near the end of my lease.
    I'm not sure how all that's going to work out.

Rest in peace, my pretty Max!!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Omigosh, I'm so sorry to hear that!! I know you don't need to hear "it could have been worse", but it sounds like you were quite lucky to walk away. I hope you don't get sorer as time goes on.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted - about you and your car.
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    Has anyone purchased one yet, or test driven? Wondering what you think of the CVT. Does it work well in the Maxima?
  • kyleknickskyleknicks Member Posts: 433
    well... glad to see that you made it okay... thats what's important..
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Oy!! Very glad you made it through all right! Sounds like the kid also was ok, is that true?

And ouch to the lease situation - hope your insurance covers whatever else you were supposed to pay, plus the residual of the car.

Will your insurance, or the kid's insurance, pay rental costs? Same thing happened to me years ago in a Stanza, someone ran a red light on me and crashed into my car. His fault, and his insurance turned out to be very fair with me, paid 30 days of rental costs while I looked for a new car.

Do take care of yourself. A good massage can work wonders if you feel tight and sore.

And good luck with whatever car you end up buying next!
    Thanks, Biancar, and everyone else for your
    concern. The kid is fine. He was very nice.
    He didn't have a scratch. I believe he was able to start his car, but he thought his radiator might have been punctured. It turns out he's attending the University of Tampa for college here and he's from another state. He was leaving from his job at Best Buy when the accident occurred.
    The not-so-good news is, after talking with
    his insurance company, apparently his insurance
    was in effect until July 4th and as of that
    date, his insurance co. had not received a
    payment. He's supposedly in a grace period
    right now, so I would assume if a payment isn't
    received by a certain date, his policy will be
    cancelled.

Of course, it was suggested that I might want
    to run everything through my insurance so as
    not to delay anything. I'm getting a $25 a
    day rental reimbursement. I'm renting a
    Hyundai Elantra. No offense, Mr. Hyuandai
    Elantra, but you ain't no Maxima!
    I'm mourning my beautiful Majestic Blue Max.

For all I know, the adjuster may end up telling
    me that it can be repaired. I don't know.
    I wonder what it's going to be like driving
    a car that's possibly had over $12,000 in
    repairs for the next six months?

I am getting more and more sore as the day
    passes, and, boy, the bruise on the thigh
    is huge. Although the bruising on the stomach
    doesn't appear as bad, it's very, very sore.
    I went ahead to a walk-in clinic today to make
    sure everything would be okay and got a
    prescription for a stronger version of Motrin.
    I'm sure I'm going to be fine. I may end up
    missing work the rest of this week though.

I guess I'm gonna have to step up my research
    on some of the new cars I'm interested in!
  • warrior_prwarrior_pr Member Posts: 28
    Finally the nightmare with my Maxima 2005 end this July when I could negotiate my Nissan Maxima 2005 in a Volvo dealer. After 21 months with my SL auto transmissions, certainly not a smooth one, 33,000 miles, 2 times 4 shock absorber changes and a lot of front suspension links changes I have to say my Nissan stay more time in Nissan service parking than my home garage. Sounding like an old car more than a new one, this great motor performance car bring me a lot of headache when I tried to decrease high tire sound in highways, with the 320 watts stereo sound radio. I know a lot of Nissan Maxima fans will not agree with me , but try to get a test drive with other cars brands and you will notice Nissan were taking your money and still making cars they know are not a good ones. Good luck Maxima fans and maybe the new CVT will get you a little more smooth travel.... but remember, front suspension, front disk and front pads will take out your money from your pocket a lot of time before you finally accept you are with the wrong car.... :)
    Wow, I hope the kid gets his payment in to the insurance company pretty fast! They might disallow coverage on an accident that happened during the grace period. Hope not. Wishing you luck on getting that part of it straightened out.

If you need $12,000 worth of repairs, that is almost certainly totalled. Assume the car cost around $25,000 when new, worth maybe $15,000 or so now, those repair costs are approaching the net value of the car. I think you're safe in assuming it's totalled.

When it happened to me, my car was 8 years old, still going strong. The damage wasn't even that severe, but they declared it totalled based on ratio of costs of repair to net value of car. It's not hard to total an 8 year old car, considering most appraisers won't value it very highly.

When do you get the word from the adjuster?
    Maximafan, you might want to come by our Questions About Auto Insurance & Accidents discussion and run your situation by the very knowledgeable folks who hang out there. I'm sure they'll have some good advice for you.

And please keep us posted here.
  • softhds1softhds1 Member Posts: 26
    Car is very smooth and very fast. Have had problem with tire pressure sensor and part is not yet available. Getting 23 mpg which is nice.
  • ecuetoecueto Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I currently own a 2006 SE purchased in Jan. and have been having issues with the RPM's. It has just started getting hung up around 4k and will not shift unless I come to a stop. I have had it at the Nissan dealer 3x to check it out and of course the computer doesn't pick anything up. Has anyone else run into any type of problem relating to the transmission or engine??? Please let me know. Thanks!
    Hey, Biancar. I might be wrong, but I was
    left with the impression that as long as a
    payment was made before a certain date, coverage should be made available. I think
    what they do is if they don't receive your
    payment by a certain date, they send you a notice such as, "Payment must be received by
    12:00 a.m. by such-and-such date or the policy
    will be cancelled."

On the issue of possibly repairing the car,
    of course I'm only guessing on what it could
    possibly cost if they think it's repairable.
    I went by the towing place today to get the
    rest of the stuff out of the vehicle and went
    ahead and took some pictures of the vehicle.
    Made me a little sick all over again to see
    it like that. I noticed the battery didn't
    look damaged and my alarm horn was still
    working and the auto door locks. But it looks
    like everything at the front, i.e., the
    radiator and a small portion of the engine was
    bent in. The entire front bumper is torn facing outward, but I was surprised that the
    headlights were still inside the plastic casing
    with no cracks or anything, but it is disconnected due to the bumper being separated
    forward. Heck, the Xenon lights alone would
    be pretty expensive to replace!

I was told an appraiser would come out there
    to assess the damage today, but as of the time
    I was there, which was around 2:30 p.m., no
    one had arrived yet.
    The rental car is driving me crazy. There's a
    rattle in the center dash that comes and goes
    and when I try to play the radio to drown it
    out, the front right speaker is blown or vibrates. I don't know how I'm going to be able to live with this thing for upwards of a
    month! Until then, I'm waiting to hear from the adjuster.

P.S., I went on Edmunds Used Car Appraiser, and
    after inputting the options on my car and
    mileage and such, it came up with a price of
    $10,179 for trade-in, $11,567 for Private party
    sale, and $12,797 for Dealer Retail.
    Thanks, Pat, for the suggestion. I will
    definitely check that discussion out this
    evening.
    The reason I said I "hope" it's covered during the grace period is that I used to sell life insurance. With life insurance, if the premium is not paid and the covered individual happens to die during the grace period - or maybe it was after the grace period expires - even if the survivors make a payment the company does NOT have to pay. They have to refund any such payment made after the grace period, and that's all.

Anyway, you really better check with the kid and MAKE SURE he sent in the check to the insurance company to bring his policy up to date. If he does not, you definitely won't get anything from his company.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    but remember, front suspension, front disk and front pads will take out your money from your pocket a lot of time before you finally accept you are with the wrong car....

That's funny, I have 35k miles on my 3 1/2 year old '03 Maxima, and the dealer told me my brake pads had 75% remaining, and my rotors were perfectly true.

P.S. I drive my Max like it's meant to be driven. I am NOT easy on my brakes.
    I drove yours 35K miles,42 months Maxima in 21 months more or less. I am a salesperson so I really use my car. Maybe that's the problem. Maximas are made for people that are not going to use their cars.... Good looking cars but ...don't use it !!! If you will left your car in your home garage this car is for you, otherwise ... could drain your pockets....

PD: 2003 models are one generation old than my 2005 new generation Maximas... That could be another possible answer.
    I have to totally disagree with you, Warrior.
    My 2002 Maxima, up until it was wrecked Monday
    evening, has been an outstanding car for four
    years and 60,000 miles. And like the Nissan
    logo says, the car has been "driven". It has
    been an exhilarating four years to have driven
    this car. I loved the power, I loved the
    "growl" of the V6. To me the car was pretty
    special; roomy, just really well-built.
    I am mourning my pretty Max!
    The most expensive thing I had to pay on the
    car was for two rear 02 sensors. The rest was
    just regular oil changes, one set of tires,
    and one set of front brakes.
    The 2007 is still at the top of my list for my
    next car along with the Acura TL, and maybe
    even the 2006 Altima.
    Unfortunately, I may not be able to sample the
    2007 Altima if my car is totalled out since
    the 2007 won't be coming out before October.
    I'm afraid maybe you just got close to a lemon.
    I really feel that the problems you have
    encountered are in the minority.
    I'm sorry that your experience with the Maxima
    has been less than stellar.
    I drove yours 35K miles,42 months Maxima in 21 months more or less. I am a salesperson so I really use my car. Maybe that's the problem. Maximas are made for people that are not going to use their cars...

Time has nothing to do with brake wear, it's the mileage! At the rate I'm going, I will have to replace my brakes when the car has 140,000 miles on it! How long do you think brakes are supposed to last?!
  • joep0000joep0000 Member Posts: 11
    Can anyone fill in the following info?
    Thanks

For August of 2007:

2007 Nissan Maxima SL

24 mo/15k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    36 mo/15k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    48 mo/15k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor

24 mo/12k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    36 mo/12k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    48 mo/12k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor

2007 Nissan Maxima SE

24 mo/15k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    36 mo/15k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    48 mo/15k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor

24 mo/12k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    36 mo/12k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    48 mo/12k mi: Residual Value ??% – .????? Money Factor
    Your post joep0000, "Infiniti M35 / M45: Lease Questions" #630, 2 Aug 2006 5:40 am is in the best place to get some help with this.
  • nissanronnissanron Member Posts: 17
    I bought a 2007 Maxima SE a week ago, and am very happy with it. The CVT performs flawlessly. My opinion is that once you get used to the smoothness of a CVT, you won't want to go back to a regular automatic. Keyless ignition and doors are great: I have yet to use my key. The front end redesign is a big improvement, and I like the black cutout on the rear around the exhaust pipes.

Previously, I drove a 2004 Maxima SE, and that car was the best car I have ever owned. No repairs at all. In 53,000 miles of driving, I serviced the auto transmission, flushed the cooling system, replaced the front brakes and bought a new set of tires. Overall gas miles was a little above 23, and on road trips with my wife we averaged between 28 and 29 mpg.

My wife's car was a 2002 Maxima SE, and we had a similar experience with that.

You have to test drive the 2007 Maxima! Like you I was thinking about the 2007 Altima. In looking at pictures, I can tell that it is still a lesser car -- except perhaps for the horsepower which is a little more. What sold me on the 2007 Maxima was the increased refinement between my 2004 Maxima and the 2007. This includes the power train, suspension and handling as well as the interior of the car.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    For future reference, Autozone will read your code for free, then you can decide where to take it to get it fixed.
    What about the interior sound levels at 70 MPH ? It's better than Maxima 2004?
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    Maximafan, sorry to hear about your accident! I know you must feel awful about your beloved Maxima. Like you, I still like my 03 Max GLE alot, which has 17k miles on the odo to date. Similar to my previous 3rd and 4th gen Maximas, the 03 has been very reliable. I especially like its powerful engine, although I cannot give praise to its rear multi-linked suspension, which jolts strongly when the car hits a pot hole or highway expansion joint.

If I were you, I would start looking at 06 TL as a replacement for your Max. The TL, IMHO, is a better car than the Max and retains its value nicely. I haven't look at the 07 Max, but based on the past history of the 6th gen Max, my expectations are not very high.

Good luck!!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Hello. I'm not normally around the Nissan segment of these boards, but would appreciate a little insight. A close friend of mine recently (as of yesterday, actually) bought a 1997 Nissan Maxima. Problem is, nobody knows what trim level it is. I guessed that it was a GXE because it had plastic wheel-covers instead of alloy wheels. Here's all I know, and I hope it helps decide the answer:

It's white with a tan cloth interior
    It has PW, PL, Cruise, no sunroof, power driver's seat
    It's an automatic (I don't think that matters, but oh well)
    It looks like this, except for the fact that it is white

Isn't this a GXE?
    Do the specs on Edmunds help?
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    The wheel covers say it's a GXE. SE had 5-spoke alloy wheels, and GLE had a different style (7 spoke?) alloy wheels.
    Based on the wheel covers I too assumed GXE, but wanted to make sure before confirming the information from my friend. I'll check out the Edumunds specs too, but more and more I think GXE. In 1997, there was no XE on the Maxima, right?

Thanks so much guys!
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    There was no XE in 97. While the wheels could've been swapped from another car, here are some other things that are dead giveaways.

The SE, and only the SE, will have white gauges AND body-colored door handles. It can be cloth or leather.

Both GXE and GLE will have black gauges and chrome door handles, and GLE will ONLY have leather, while GXE can have either.

SE will always have the spoiler, but GXE and GLE can have it too. In the later case, though, there will either be the 'regular' center high mounted stop light, or the cover that closes the hole where it used to be.

Do you want more? :-)
    kennyg8, I agree that the TL is a very
    comparable replacement for the Maxima and should be an even better car all around. In
    regard to the '02-'03 harsh ride of the Maxima's, I also have to agree with you on that
    one. This was the main thing that was starting
    to get on my nerves towards the end there when
    driving my Maxima. Everything else was great.
    So is it the twist beam axle that's causing all
    of the ruckus so to speak? It really did
    nearly jar my teeth whenever I drove on uneven
    road surfaces or streets with potholes and
    railroad tracks. I really started to notice
    it after driving an Altima 4-cylinder rental
    for a day while having the car serviced for the
    rear 02 sensors. The Altima definitely soaked
    up the bumps and such better than my Max did.

All and all it's been a great car though, even
    after 60,000 miles. I'm still waiting to hear
    from the insurance company whether the car will
    be repairable or totaled out.

I wasn't sure if I was reading right. Does
    your '03 Max have only 17,000 miles on it?
    Wow!!! I bet that is one mint-conditioned
    Maxima.

By the way, I test drove a TL this past Saturday. It drove fine except for some
    pronounced wind noise coming from the windshield area on the interstate. I'm thinking of seeing if Acura will let me spend
    a day or overnight with the TL on my own with
    no other distractions, such as a salesperson, so I can give the car the benefit of the doubt.

I also test drove the Lexus IS250, ES350 and RX350. I ended up liking the RX the best because of the flexibility and it seemed to have the best power of all three.

I test drove the IS250. It was a nice car, but a little underpowered and really too small,
    and the suspension was pretty stiff, although
    a quiet car otherwise. I was a little disappointed with the ES350 after reading so
    many rave reviews from buyers on the Lexus
    forum. So, yeah, the RX is up there on the
    list too.
    Do you want more?

Haha, no, but that is EXTREMELY helpful, and I thank you so much for your time and effort into that post. It has cloth, black gauges w/white numbers, chrome door handles, and no spoiler. Definitely a GXE. Thanks so much for your help again! (and for helping out a Honda guy=me ;) with a Nissan-guy=friend!)

Best Wishes

thegrad :)
    I bought some Turanza LS-Vs to replace the Potenza RE92s on my '03 SE, and it honestly is a whole new car. The handling isn't quite as tight, but it soaks up bumps.
    Maximafan, yes it is the rear suspension of the Max that I dislike the most, while everything else is fine to great, and I can live with the not so impressive Bose audio system trumpeted by Nissan.

And yes, my 03 Max GLE only has 17k miles and it is in mint condition, as it is always garaged when not in use and I take good care of it.

However, new car fever is biting me recently. So, I have been looking at the Acura RL ($3k incentive) and the TL ($1k incentive), and even the MDX ($2k incentive). I may sell my Max (I'll probably get about $17.5k for it) and apply the proceeds toward the new ride.

The RX is nice, but expensive, when compared with the MDX, which is being deeply discounted lately.
    Perna, I spoke to Tirerack about new tires for my Max GLE, and Turanza LS-V tires do not seem to fit the car, for whatever reason.

The OEM Bridgestone EL-42s are not that bad, although its tracking power in snow could be better ... thank goodness I have traction control on my Max. The ELs still have a lot of tread, so I may not need to replace them yet. If I sell the car, it is not going to be an issue for me anymore.
    kennyg8, I didn't realize you had a GLE. I
    thought you had an SE. I thought the GLE had
    a softer ride than the SE. I guess not much
    softer, huh? Mine is the SE, so I know I've
    got a "crunchy" suspension. I replaced my
    original Potenzas with the Futura V-rated series at about 46,000 miles. At first, it
    seemed as though they rode better than the
    Potenzas, but then, again, it may be that it was just the new tires. But in the last few
    months, I was beginning to think I might need
    new struts or something, the ride had become
    so harsh.
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    maximafan, you mentioned a struts brand name originally installed on your Maxima. Do you know the brand name installed at the factory on a 2000 GLE? Thanks
    I'm sorry, dmaljunk, I don't recall mentioning
    the brand name on the struts, but I would assume they're probably McPherson's? I know
    that's what I had on my 1988 Mazda RX-7 back
    in the eighties. Also, I'm not sure if the
    struts would be different on the GLE.
  • dlaxdaldlaxdal Member Posts: 5
    I have the opportunity to buy a maxima 03 27,000 miles in mint cond. fopr 16,500. I want to know what prices are like out thre.
    I will never buy domestic again so info on maxima 03 would help
    I have a chance to buy a 03 maxima GLE for 16,500 with 27,000 miles in mint shape. What should i look for?

?????new owner
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I owned an 03 SE Maxima before getting an offer I couldn't pass up to move up to an 06.

I had to have both front tie-rod ends replaced (under warranty) and understand that this was a common occurrence on the 03's. Those that have had problems but have not been replaced will take bumps very harshly and will feel to have bounce in suspension during bumpy road conditions. After the fix, never had another problem.

The turning radius on the SE was horrible due to bigger wheels limiting the steering wheel movement. Understand this wasn't an issue on the smaller-wheeled GLE.

Lack of TCS on high-output front-wheel drive results in tire spin during rapid acceleration, especially if from a stop or facing uphill. Takes some getting used to but managable, particulary if using manual tranny.

Factory (base) sound system is horrible, even a cheap Sony head unit bumps up the quality significantly.

All that aside, I liked the car enough to get another. Many of the issues mentioned above were addressed in the next generation.
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    2003 Maxima has the xenon lamps, which are often stolen by bending the fendors and hood with a pry bar. Otherwise it's agreat car
    Have you looked at the feature on Edmund's called TMV - True Market Value? Look on the home page and click on the "buying a used car" link and fill in the exact details of the car you're looking at. That will give you some guidelines.

Like any used car, look carefully for any signs of accident damage, have an independent mechanic check it out. Just from what you've given, sounds like a good deal. Go for it if you like it.

I've got an '00 Maxima with about 86,000 miles now and love it, hope to have it until it reads 200,000 miles. The engines used in the Maxima are consistently ranked in the top 10, and have been for years and years. They're known for being very reliable and fun to drive cars.

The GLE is, in my opinion, the best choice, too. Has the leather seats and the more luxurious options.
    The car I can get is a GLE/SE. I understand there are issues with every car. Sounds like they are not that bad.
    Thanks for the responses, I will definetely keep yupr board up to date.
    What do you mean, a "GLE/SE?" There is no such beast. The GLE has more luxury appointments, the SE is supposedly "sportier." The SE's have spoilers standard, the GLE's do not, unless someone added it aftermarket.

Also the taillights are a little different.

Anyway, check which it is, because the GLE's are just a bit more expensive than the SE's, so it might make a little difference in the used car price, too.
  • dandansoidandansoi Member Posts: 1
    When you say Tokico Strut, what model in particular?

I'm interested using the HP(blue) one. Anybody using the Illumina?

Thanks.
  • bergoniacbergoniac Member Posts: 2
    I just moved to Hawaii and realize that the Navigation doesn't work on my 2005 Maxima SL. Contacted the company that makes the map DVD and told me that they have no plans on ever mapping Hawaii on DVD. So the question: Can you replace the navigation system with an after market Navigation system that works in Hawaii?