Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Went to Pep Boys and all they have is the 4157NALL, so I got a set. Are they good enough, or do I need to go to my local GM parts dept and get the real McCoy?

Thanks.

Deke
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I went to the dealer and they were sylvania lights and didn't fit perfect so go figure! But then again I had to replace the socket too as it was the culprit in burning out 3 DRL's in 2 weeks.
  • v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    I've noticed this before, but just having taken an 8+ hour road trip this past weekend and seeing lots of Intrigues, it is on my mind again. Did they make the DRLs on later models(i.e. 2000s or so) brighter than earlier ones? I saw quite a few Intrigues on the road and on some, the DRLs seem dimmer than others. From what I can tell(I typically look at the wheels and see which style they are), it is earlier models that have the dimmer lights.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    Sylvania 4157NALL is what I bought to replace my right DRL. On the back of the box, it states it replaces DRLs and is rated at 2X life expectancy. It plugged right in, and looks the same as the original. You can buy a 2 pack for less than $5. It has been several months since the replacement and no problems. So I think you'd be safe with it.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Thanks, sda, I bought the NALL's - $10 for a two-pack.

Funny thing though, last night when I got back in the car, the directional flashed like normal UNTIL the headlights came on auto. If I turned them on manually, it flashed OK for a while, then went haywire. This morning, still crazy. Hope to have a few minutes to change them tonight.

Now, just pull up on the white tabs to remove the assembly, right?

Deke
    Wife saw a story on the news last night about GM and the ISS problem. Story mentioned the Impala, Intrigue, etc and the problem with the steeing shaft....

I can't seem to find anything today on it. Anyone catch this story? GM stepping up to the plate like they were forced to do with the bad steering racks in the early 90s? Sure would like a new ISS......

Deke
    Interesting. Perhaps it wasn't the goodwill of my selling dealership after all when they replaced it out of warranty (36700mi) last week. With as common as a problem this has been, GM needs to take responsibility.

• MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    reported involved several 96-98 GM models, including the Intrigue. I believe the defect involved a locking up of the steering and was related to the intermediate steering shaft.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    You got it pontiac. Very slick. On my left side, the lamp assembly will get caught on the plastic bumper. Needs a little wiggle and a light push down on the bumper just in front on the lens. Use the built in handle on the top of the assembly. Be careful when you slide the [non-permissible content removed]. out that it doesn't scratch your bumper.

As for your intermittent, You could possibly have a internally shorting filament or your socket base connection may be oxidized/dirty. Try a cue tip in the wedge socket with some acholol( rubbing ) if you see any dusty like oxidization. Give it a few seconds for the all-cool to evaporate.

FYI. Bulb socket turns ccw 1/8 turn to loosen.

have fun.
    If it's been in the media lately, there must be some new problem, otherwise they wouldn't care about "old" cars...

I've read where the police package Impalas are having the steering lock up, so maybe GM will step up and make good at their cost. Can only hope...

I know my (late) 98 could use a looking at. Replaced the ISS at something like 5000 miles under warranty, have 32000 on it now.

Deke
  • ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    I finally have seen how bad the flickering can be.
    Up to today I had just had it a couple of times but it was just a slight dim. Today on my way to work the headlight and the dash lights were blinking every 2 second for 2 blocks. I'm going to see if I can get it into the dealer next week.
    You would think they would fix that by 2002.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Here's a link:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0309/23/b02-278926.htm

Problem is NOT the ISS and does not include cars (Impala, Aurora, Bonneville, etc.) which also have the "ISS-needs-lube" issue.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
    Has the weather turned cooler in the past day or so? Cooler weather seems to trigger the "flicker". Funny thing, when it got down in the 30s or below, the flicker wasn't that bad.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Have the shop check the battery and cables also.

I'm not sure why the alternators weren't ever fixed on production cars, but my replacement seems ok so obviously they had something that worked.
    First off, last night the "errant" bulb worked flawlessly... Nevertheless, I replaced BOTH bulbs. Still can't get over how easy it was to remove the headlamp assembly! Last car I needed to change front end bulbs on was my ex-FHP 88 Crown Vic and I needed to disassemble the trim panels, etc and deal with the metal-base bulbs - remember those with the offset "nibs" that only work if lined up correctly?

On the other hand, if you were looking to replace a damaged unit, very easy to swipe one from another Trig on the street....

As for the steering story, the wife caught the item on the news, but she said it definitely mentioned the Intrigue. I thought ALL Intrigues (and other W-bodies) had the ISS problem, and I read here that a few people also had the steering racks replaced before the techs diagnosed the ISS as the problem. Maybe GM will make good? One can only hope....

Deke
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    If the car is under warranty, by all means, take it back. Happened to me on my '98 base (a.k.a GX). They had to replace the fan control. Can't say how much it cost since GM footed the bill.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    ...With my new-to-me '02 Intrigue and all I can say is that I absolutely love it. No issues at all that warrant a trip back to the dealer. The rocking seat I thought I had was just a misadjustment on my part, and the same with the suspected burned-out cruise indicator light (it isn't). There is a very occasional creak from the top of the drivers door/window area when I make a right turn and go over a bump simultaneously, but nothing major and probably not something the dealer could find, much less fix. That's it.

On the plus side, I love the engine and performance, love the handling, love the brakes, love the seats, and love the stereo. My assistant at work drives an Accord, and whenever we go somewhere in my car she always says as she gets in "this is a really NICE car, I really like it!". Awesome car - amazing that GM couldn't sell these.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I let a friend drive my intrigue several years. She also owned a Honda Accord.
    Her first unsolicited comment was, "this car is smooooth."

Accords have a choppy highway ride in case anybody needed that pointed out.
    The Intrigue excels on the highway in more ways that one. I love my long trips in it.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Watched "The brotherhood of Poland, NH" last night and one of the brothers was shown pulling into his driveway in an Intrigue. Wonder how they decide what kind of car a normal person should drive (he plays the mayor of a small town)?
  • dpd2dpd2 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 GL with 21000 miles. Questions ...
    1. I have not had the ISS problem. Some ticking and clicking occasionally but no clunking. Will GM lube it under warranty without symptoms?
    2. There is a growing gap betwen the dash and the center air vent. I have seen this in alot of intrigues. Is this something that should be repaired under warranty or normal wear and tear?
    3. The fan is noisy when using the heat only. Annoying hum and sounds as if something is stuck in the vent. Anybody experience this?

The only other problem I have had is the high engine temperature in the winter. Dealer replaced thermostat and its been fine.

I would appreciate anyones input. Thank you.
    1. ISS. Tell em you want the iss lube before the warranty is up cause you here it clicking and ticking when you turn slowly . You will probably have it clunking eventually.

2. the gap. if they do anything they may replace the dash and then you'll have lots of squeeks. I have recentered mine. You a dull flat something and tuck the vinyl under the vent as you lift and giggle it. Try it and if you still don't like it then mention that as well when you go for the lube.

3. the vent noise. You may have something in there but could be a vent door not closing properly due to a flaky vacuum actuator. I believe there is a TSB about noisy blower motors. Will search later to see if a can find what i'am thinking about. If you remove the under the wiper passenger side cover and pull out the pollen filter you can see the squirell cage attached on the motor. Reach in and turn it to check for debris or noise.

Take it in and mention all your thoughts and see what they will do.
    My 2000 GL suffered the same problem of the dash pulling away from the center vent. My dealer ordered and installed a new dash pad. It even aligns up better than the original. No squeaks, rattles, looks great. After a year the dash was again pulling away from the center vent, but not as severe. However, I was able to pull the center vent out of the dash,(used a dull flat blade top and bottom to release tabs holding vent), and then put two felt pads on the support fingers(inside vent opening on the bottom) to provide a shim upward. Then I carefully pushed the vent back into place. The gap is now gone,and the vent is secure. Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix. Anyhow, I would see if your dealer might replace/adjust for you.

My Intrigue had this problem as well. I noticed a slight gap from day one, but it got worse as time went on. I mentioned it one time when I took the car in and they must have forgotten it as I had no explantion either way on it. Truthfully, if that is your only problem then I wouldn't worry about it. Anytime the dash is taken apart(on any car) there is the potential for squeaks and rattles to appear.
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    Well, Friday the anti-lock brake light came on. On Saturday, it didn't come on when I first started the car, but about three miles down the road, , it came on again.

The manual just says, "see dealer". Any speculation on what could be wrong? thanks.
    I know its seems silly but first check that all brake lights are lit. I believe that abs sense the bulbs are out and set the light. Go figure.

The next culprit would be a wheel sensor connectors or the sensor itself inside the bearing, of coarse. More money and just to make it hard on the backyard guys.

After that wiring, you needs codes maybe.

What year? Does it do a self check/priming the pump after you start to move.
    ABS light is usually a computer glitch or some condensation somewhere it shouldn't be. Has it rained a lot in your neck of the woods?
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    No rain, but my 16yo niece drives the '98 Intrigue, and she "encountered" a guardrail and did about $700 damage to the lower door panels AND scraped the right front wheel. Have not had it fixed yet, but did get the estimate, and the rt front wheel will have to be replaced. Damage appears all cosmetic - steering and braking are still straight and fine.

Putting the pieces together now - the scraping of the rt front wheel could have loosend the ABS sensor? It happened about 2 weeks ago, but the light didnt come on for about 10 days afterward.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Has there been any update on GM issuing a recall regarding the ISS on the Intrigue?

TIA
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    in terms of resale value. Automotive News reports that after three years in the marketplace, the 2001-model Dodge Intrepid and Ford Taurus have residual values of 30 percent, and the Chevrolet Impala is valued at 33 percent of its sticker price.
    I saw an identical 2000 Intrigue to mine with about 10K kms more on it listed at C$13999 which is about 1/2 of what I paid for it. After more than 3 1/2 years that's not bad though I would like to know what the car sells for. Intrigue resale is holding up ok around these parts though I know it's not like that everywhere.

Given the discounts these days, I'm not surprised by 33%. If you take 15% off to begin with you should see a similar drop in resale.
    Makes for a great used car buy. I bought my 00 GL in 4/02 with 19000 miles. Remainder of 3/36 warranty left, paid less than 50% MSRP. Granted, buying used isn't as exciting as buying new, but oh the $$ saved! Don't regret it a bit.

• hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Read this:

http://www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0309/23/b02-278926.htm

"The vehicles involved were built between Jan. 1, 1996, and Oct. 31, 1997, NHTSA said. They are the 1996-98 Buick Regal, the 1997-98 Buick Century, the 1996-98 Chevrolet Lumina and Monte Carlo, the 1996-97 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and the 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue."

It's the steering RACK, not the shaft, and it only affects the '98.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    means the system failed the power on self-check. Could be any of the things mentioned. Dealer diagnostics will probably pinpoint the problem. If the light is on while driving, the ABS is probably inoperative.
    Got an oil change this morning (Mobil 1, as usual) and the shop kept the lights on while they worked on it. I asked why and they said it keeps the alarms from setting automatically. Mine doesn't set by itself, but they never asked.

Needless to say, they killed the battery (original on a '98), charged it three times and got the car running. ABS and Brake lights were lit when I got in to leave. They had no idea what it meant. I demanded to know what they did to a perfectly running car in just 15 minutes....

Went to my mechanic and it turns out that the battery was shot. Since I unsually have a 15 mile commute each way, I only start the car twice a day. Seems the 20+ minutes the car ran was enough to charge it to start again.

Replaced the battery - with an Interstate - and asked about the warning lights. Mech said don't worry. They were out and have remained out. Maybe some kind of warning of impending battery doom?

Deke
  • msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    I too have had both of these problems. First the Center Vent Gap was corrected by Super Gluing the edge of the vent to the dash pad. I first taped off the vent and carefully spread the glue into the gap. Then held it together for about a minute. It has held for over a year now. Mine is a '99 GL with 75k miles. My ABS light light came on with 54k miles. I had reduced braking capability. I checked the rear rotors after coming down a hill, and they were cold!! I took it in the GM dealer to get the code read. They said it was the ABS motor. This is was makes the Yatzee can rattle at startup. Part was $375 list with $225 labor(3 hours). I got the part for $180 as my buddy was the parts man. It now has a minimal Yatzee can sound at startup and all brakes work!!! Hope this helps....
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    How loud is it on your Intrigues? On mine it's not too loud, noticeable from inside the car, but not outside it. I just hope that being able to hear it is not a sign of it dying out... :-}
  • msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    I would estimate the noise now is 1/3 of what is was with the old motor. It is barely noticeable. Must be an improved design. I am getting ready to install the 12" rotors with a kit from GM. P/N 12498646 gives you the caliper brackets, bolts,etc. but not rotors. I found a set off a 01 Monte Carlo in the junkyard. Got both for $30. Excellent condition.
  • sunsessionsunsession Member Posts: 45
    I'm sure this problem has been discussed at one time or another, but a search turned up nothing. After a heavy rain, when I open the trunk of my 2000 Intrigue, water pours out of the lid into the trunk. This is clearly a design flaw, but is probably one of those "just live with it" problems. I'm bringing the car in for the 15,000 mile service tomorrow. Wonder what the dealer will say. Any of you folks had this experience? Thanks.
    We just had a hurricane come thru here and I had no such leaks in spite of massive rain. When you say "pours out of the lid", where is it coming from exactly? On the inside? Or is it beaded-up water on the exterior that runs down and gets in? I'm confused.

I've never heard of a trunk leak on an Intrigue, I have no such issue.
  • sunsessionsunsession Member Posts: 45
    It comes from inside the trunk lid; within that metal framework. As the lid is opened, it pours out and into the trunk. Now I'm really mystified, as it seems to be a problem caused by the way the inside of the lid is constructed. The main question is how does the water get inside the lid in the first place?
    Do the spoiler studs go into that inner frame? If so maybe one or more of the holes isn't sealed properly.

Here's my question for the group: in my 2002 I love the stereo, but I've recently discovered that AM reception is very poor. Not that I listen to it much, but it shouldn't fade out when you go past a large building or a tree. Is there something equivalent to the "antenna trim" adjustment you used to have on older car radios or do I have a bad unit?

It took some digging but i found my post from many moons ago re this problem "Post # 135 from the probs. and solutions board". I have re posted it here for you to peruse, i believe this is the same problem. If you like, you should go back and check the jist of the preceding discussion about the leak. I have since removed the little rubber grommets at the bottom of the lid at each ends to drain out any condensation as i had some paint blistering along the lip and had the dealer touch up.

Don't take dindax reaction personal, he never seems to have the problems any one else does. LOL

Good luck.

"Post # 135 from the probs. and solutions board".

"I had this problem . do not bother with gm guys they are morons.

The problem came from the plastic screw inserts behind the license plate.

If you look up under the inside of the trunk lid in behind the plate location you will see water tracks coming down from the insert holes that hold the plate.

My problem only happened in a heavy wind driven rain when it hit the back of the car at an angle.

I solved this by removing the plate and removing the inserts ( kinda tricky but with patience you wont break them. They have a wing that may have to be pushed from the inside to release them ).

I then applied black silicone around the perimeter of the clip and at the back of the clip where the screw comes through.
    Re inserted the clip, wiped the excess and put back the plate.

I pulled everything out to get a good idea as to what was happening and If i was to do it again, Instead of removing the clips i think one could just pry them out a little and run a small bead around the perimeter, then put some into the holes and then put the screw into the wet silicone to fill the space around the threads to keep the water from weeping in.

Good luck with dealer. I know of people who had their wing removed and buggered up finish with no success. Check to see if you have a thin gasket like foam between the trunk lid and the wing. If you do then your problems may well be what i had. The water marks inside the trunk behind where the plate is your first look"

Good luck
    moonshadow : If you think I'm not telling the truth about my car or something, you are welcome to come over to my house and inspect it. Not everyone has your problems, people now generally only come to this board with problems as there is little else to discuss about a dead model.

ab348 : Do you only have the issue on some stations or all?
    Here we go again.
    Apparently you missed the "LOL" at the end of the dindax referral. Perhaps you do not know the lingo "lots of laughs". You are way too sensitive.

I am sure you are telling the truth about your car, however, i think you are the abberation and i envy you for that. When i bought my car new, that is what i thought i was getting. So excuuuuuse me if if vent "my" opinion about my bad car as much as you vent about your great car.

You can't have it both ways. Stop dimissing other peoples problems as non issues. Perhaps if you think I'm not telling the truth about my car or something, you are welcome to come over to my house and inspect it. Your words.

You said: "Not everyone has your problems, people now generally only come to this board with problems as there is little else to discuss about a dead model."
    HUh. sounds contradictory, first you dismiss me and then say only people with problem come here.

Well, Obviously, sunsession does have this problem that i had and i'm sure he will appreciate the response.

Isn't that what we are doing here.

If you want a feel good, Syrupy board about the invincable intrigue, the brillant Gm engineers and the bend over for you backwrds, Gm customer service reps. I suggest you start a new forum.

Geeze!
    Of all the problems I had with my Intrigue, the trunk was always nice and dry. Does yours have a spoiler? If so, it could be water is leaking in where the spoiler is bolted into the trunk lid. Or ir could also be the aforementioned license plate mounting screws. While there were a few quirks I learned to live with on my Intrigue, a leaky trunk was not one of them.
    If you reread my post, I only said I had never heard of the problem, I did NOT dismiss it.
    Your trunk help was great, I had never seen anyone post a problem and I've been around this board since 1999. I was mearly stating a fact.

I don't dismiss anyone's problems for that matter, I have only said that in general people do not have as many issues as you and a few others have had. There is no doubt everyone with an Intrigue has had some problems, it's not even close to a perfect car. I have had the alternator problem, I had the ISS lube and I also had my temp gauge replaced. I still think over all, the car is good and I think most people have had an experience more like mine than yours.
    Rear stabliizer links/bushings/whatever are rattling again and I need the get them replaced for the THIRD time.

Last year when I went in, I was told the repair was covered under the parts 1 year warranty, so it was a freebie for me. I need the same repair again, and rather than drive the 40+ miles back to the same dealer (in another State), I decided to call my local GM shops. No one wants to touch an Olds! Found a Caddy dealer in Brooklyn who would, but the tech did not understand the parts warranty.

I explained it to the service manager four times and still nothing. No comprendo..... Maybe if I spoke HIS language?

Anyway, he put me on hold and walked away. After five minutes I hung up. I guess he won the "battle".

I'm not imagining the parts warranty, right? If I have to go back to the dealer who's done all the warranty work on the Trig, I'll have to take a day off from work and not get paid for it (the down-side of consulting).

I have two or three weeks remaining and need to get this done soon.....

Please tell me I'm right on this!

Deke