Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    Just curious, how much did it cost to replace the engine? Did they say what likely caused that to happen? As for your A/C, it could be your low on refrigerant or there may be a problem with the climate control system. One of the quirks my 2001 GLS had was every once in a blue moon, the passenger side would go to full heat. You could turn both temp controls all the way down, turn the system off and back on and it would not change it. Stop the car and restart it and the system worked fine. Probably did this 3 or 4 times in the 2 years and 2 months I had the car. Otherwise, both sides blew equally cool(I saw cool as they car never blew what I call cold) air.
    My 2001 GLS had a lighted shift lever indicator on the console. Does yours have the 3800 V6 or the 3.5?
  • stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Hi everyone, I just dropped in to let you know that I was able to be at the Olds send-off in Lnsing yesterday and took some pics. Thought you guys might be interested! It's a lttle heavy on the Aurora stuff, but some other cool pics as well.

It should be toward the bottom of the page...post #254 in our Photo Gallery

rjs200240 "Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Photo Gallery" Mar 29, 2004 5:19pm

-Brian
  • cheezwizardcheezwizard Member Posts: 5
    My GX has the 3.5 liter.
  • rocketman71rocketman71 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the memories. I appreciate you offering the pictures for those who couldn't be there. Being an Intrigue owner it's great to see the chrome 17" Aurora wheels on the final 500 Intrigue - if I didn't already have Intrigue 16" chrome wheels it would be tempting!

Happy Oldsmobiling.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I had to replace my 99 GL's shift indicator bulb about 2 years ago, and just noticed last week that it is burned out again. Kind of a pain to replace; wonder why it goes so quick?
  • ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    Has anyone here ever cleaned their motor? If so what parts should you cover from water and where are they located?
    Thanks
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Last week I got to use my new toy - orbital polisher - on the 'Trig. WOW! What a difference!

Started with a light machine polish to get those nasty scratches from the snow brush out, then followed up with wax. Finally, I can say that I got enough wax on the car and in a uniform amount, too! The SilverMist really stands out now - just hope I don't attract the attention of any local car thieves!

If you're in the market, check out Griot's Garage at http://www.griotsgarage.com for all your cleaning needs. They've got stuff you don't know you need until you see it!

This weekend I'll tackle the wife's '03 Aspen Green Pearl Camry. That is a nice color when waxed and polished out.

Any idea when Olds dropped SilverMist? I know it was in the 99 brochure, but that may have been the last year.

Deke
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    My 2000 is silver but I don't know the name of the color. Bought it used.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    I think Silvermist started off being offered in the 2000 model year but was replaced part-way thru with Sterling. I'm glad you like your color, but I have to admit that Silvermist was my least-favorite GM paint offering during those years. I liked theSterling color a lot better.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

really is a combination of colors. From one angle, there's a gold tint to it, grey from another, but rarely ever truly a sterling-like silver.

We really wanted the Autumn Bronze, but this was the only car on the lot with the spoiler that I wanted. There was a '99 in Bronze with tan leather and sunroof, but no spoiler. Wife reminds me from time to time about that one!

While the sun is still out and the angle really accentuates the coloring, I should shoot some pics. How do you post pictures here?

Deke
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I know for sure that silvermist was available in '99.

Somewhere around '00 there was a special "Sterling" limited edition car. This color then became the standard silver.

Re: Autumn Mist.

Did you mean bronze mist?
    This was the color of my '99 Intrigue.
    This color first became availalbe on the '99s but was not available until a couple of months after production started.
  • lexusmanlexusman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 INtrigue with 50K miles it will need the basic brake work done you know chage pads and roters HOW MUCH WILL THIS COST?

I dont wanna get burned out at the dealer.
    The dealer is the high cost place. Any competent repair shop can do brake work. New pads and resurfacing the rotors should only be around $100-150. At 50K miles, the rears are probably fine unless you drive like a maniac or fully loaded all the time. You should call around and ask for prices before you decide.
    In 98 there was a color that was "somewhat" like bronzemist although it had a bit of green to it. Not a bad color. Silvermist was from 98-00 then in 01 they went to Sterling. Bronzemist began being offered on 99 MYs. Speaking of colors, 98s and 98s only offered a color that was kind of like a plum or even purple. I remember that from the brochure and I think I've only seen one in that color ever.
    I remember that purple color, though I dunno the name. Think I saw one over all the years. Don't forget Opal Blue also, which was sort of an odd color, not really blue, not really purple. No interior really went with it very well. Don't see too many of of those. In 00 and 01 they had Forest Green and I hardly ever see them either. About the dullest green they could make, almost black.

I remember the opal blue and actually see a fair number of Intrigues in that color. I never really liked it as I thought it was too dull.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    i saw an orange color last year, pretty sporty.
    i am at 39,000 km and will do an oil change and tire rotation this weekend.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Was a weak point of the Intrigue with no black available. Would have been a better option than the tan to go along with the taupe and grey.
    what's the proper minus 1 snow tire size for the intrigue?
    205-70 r 15? or 14?
    (narrower, taller and smaller)

VC's back!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    205/70/R15 should work, its within 1 percent of the original size. Getting ahead of yourself now that the weather is nice up here are you not?
    Man we just got 15-20 cm of snow today and are expecting another 10-15 cm tomorrow, what stupid weather. So I got to use the traction control again.
    Is it possible to remove/replace the center cap from the 98 wheel without removing the entire assembly from the car? I have a loose cap and want to replace it with a new one.

Deke
    My 01 had a dark grey/graphite interior so it was almost black. Looked sharp but sure was toasty in the summer. In 01 all they offered was the dark grey and the taupe. I think at least a light grey would have been another alternative.
    They did that in '02, did away with the dark gray in favor of Pewter, which is a lighter sort of gray shade. Looks much better IMO especially because it uses 2 tones.

Not sure, but I don't think you can mount 15-inch wheels on an Intrigue... I don't think it'll clear the brake caliper. Check with tirerack website; they have a whole section on this.
  • msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    I too have a '99 GL. I recently upgraded my front brakes. I put on the 12" rotors with the '98 and up Camaro PBR aluminum calipers. I bought the Carbon Metallic pads from Autozone for $43.
    I got both rotors for $35 at a local wrecking yard off of an '01 Monte Carlo. They are like new with no wear. The Monte had rolled and was totaled. I went to Car-part.com and bought the calipers with brackets for $38 including shipping. They bolt on to the Intrigue spindle perfectly. Even the flex line fit the Camaro caliper like it was designed for it. Grand total= $116. Change out time was less than 1 hour. Very easy. Then bled the new calipers and its done. Now, the car seems to stop with less effort. I also like the looks of the rotors with the wheels. Less gap, plus the Camaro caliper is very nice looking. I have not heard of any one doing this upgrade, but it does work, and its all GM parts.
    What about your master cylinder? Do you know how much displacement the PBR calipers require relative to the OEM calipers? This upgrade may have limited the amount of pressure you can generate because the master cylinder may bottom out earlier than with the OEM calipers. It wouldn't be an issue in normal driving but it could if you were descending a long grade with several passengers and luggage.
  • fgriff1fgriff1 Member Posts: 18
    Hello everyone,
     Well I decided to rotate the tires on the 00 Intrigue (first time I have on this car). I used a floor Jack that I have used dozens of times. I position the FJ just to the back of the frt wheel. Well the metal bent as the jack pushed the car up (at all four locations)! Its the metal piece that the truck jack uses. This never happened on my other car (98 GP).

First question; Are there any good points/location that I should use instead of the jack points by the tires? As well as jack stands.

Now that that metal is bent, will the Trunk Jack still work? I assume it will.

Thanks
    Frank
  • taycrontaycron Member Posts: 65
    This is the 2nd time my security light has come on while driving. It comes on every now and then.. I chose to ignore it because I do not have the passlock thing.. anyways, I went to get in my car this morning, and like last time, my car would not start.. I played with the wipers and turn signal to see if it would disarm the security thing.. Finally, I decided to press my hazard button and the car started.. I bought the car used (not from the owner) so I have no clue what this means.. If it happens again I'll be sure to hit the hazard button..
    Every Intrigue has the PassLok theft-deterent system. Sounds like your ignition switch is getting funky, or perhaps the key has a problem. If you have another key, try it the next time you have this problem and see if it helps.
    What is this? I have a 2000 (bought used) and don't know anything about it. Is it one of those electronic ignition disablers? I had a key made at Lowe's and it works just fine.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    The Passlock™ System is provided in order to prevent vehicle theft if the ignition lock cylinder is forced to rotate or the ignition switch is operated while separated from the ignition lock cylinder case. If starting is attempted without authorization from the Passlock™ System, the powertrain control module (PCM) will disable the fuel injectors causing the engine to stall immediately after starting.

The components of the Passlock™ System are as follows:

The ignition lock cylinder and key
    The ignition lock cylinder case, including the Passlock™ Sensor
    The ignition switch
    The body control module (BCM)
    The security indicator on the instrument cluster
    The powertrain control module (PCM)
    Ignition Lock Cylinder Case, Including the Passlock™ Sensor

The ignition lock cylinder fits inside the ignition lock cylinder case and operates the ignition switch when turned by a key with the proper mechanical cut. When the ignition key is used to turn the ignition lock cylinder to crank, start, a magnet on the lock cylinder passes close to the Passlock™ Sensor within the ignition lock cylinder case. The magnet activates the Security Hall Effect Sensor in the Passlock™ Sensor which completes a circuit from the security sensor signal circuit through a resistor to the security sensor low reference circuit. The resistance value will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

If a magnet from outside of the ignition lock cylinder case is used to attempt to steal the vehicle, the Tamper Hall Effect Sensor will be activated. This completes a circuit from the security sensor signal circuit through a tamper resistor to the security sensor low reference circuit bypassing the security resistor. If the ignition switch is forced to rotate without the correct key, or if the ignition lock cylinder is removed by force, the Passlock™ Sensor will be damaged and will not operate.

Ignition Switch
    The ignition switch contains the wiring and electrical switching portion of the column mounted ignition assembly. The ignition switch includes wiring pigtails which connect it to the base of column connector, the Passlock™ Sensor on the ignition lock cylinder case, and other components. The wiring for the Passlock™ Sensor is unaffected by ignition switch position. The electrical switch portion is operated by the key and lock cylinder when they are rotated within the ignition lock cylinder case. The ignition switch operates the crank relay regardless of the status of the Passlock™ System.

a lot of technical data about PCM BCM data transfer

Changing the Passlock™ Components
    The following components contain codes or passwords, or must learn codes or passwords for the Passlock™ system to allow the vehicle to start:

The ignition lock cylinder case
    BCM
    The powertrain control module (PCM)
    If any of these parts are replaced, a learn procedure must be performed. Refer to Programming Theft Deterrent System Components . If parts are replaced and a learn procedure is not performed, the engine will crank and will not run or will start and stall immediately.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
    I thought about that too. I filled the PBR caliper with brake fluid, and then poured it into a cup. When I pulled the OE calipers off, I poured the out the fluid and it was almost exactly the same amount per caliper. So, I went ahead and did the swap. The pedal height is the same, but the brakes do seem improved. The firmness and force required are about the same as before. I have done several high speed stops, and it really does seem to stop quicker. Thanks for the input
    You did as much as any backyard mechanic could and probably more than most would. Kudos to you for doing that much. However, what you did only measured the static displacement. The displacement requirements of each caliper at say 1000 psi could be significantly different under both static and dynamic conditions. One could make a crude static measurement with a pressure gage in the system and a means to measure pedal travel. Dynamically the only way to do it is on a dynamometer under controlled conditions. Btw, pedal height is strictly a function of the pedal ratio and vacuum booster.

You'll may never encounter a situation in which this swap causes a problem but as a brake engineer, these kinds of amateur upgrades always make me nervous.
    Thanks for the help with the passlock info..
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Taycron here is the info i left out above with ...a lot of technical data about PCM BCM data transfer....Thought you might find it usefull after all.
    cheers

Body Control Module (BCM)
    The BCM contains the logic of the theft deterrent system. The BCM provides the battery positive voltage to operate the Passlock™ Sensor. The BCM also measures the voltage of the security sensor signal circuit. The voltage measured will indicate whether the Passlock™ Sensor has been activated and whether the resistance value from the sensor is a valid value or the tamper value. If voltage measured is in the valid range, the BCM compares this voltage, voltage code, to a previously learned voltage code. If the voltage codes match, the BCM sends a class 2 message containing a password to the PCM. If the voltage codes do not match, or the voltage is in the Tamper range, or there is a circuit fault, the BCM will not send the correct password to the PCM, and the vehicle will not start.

Powertrain Control Module
    The powertrain control module (PCM) contains the remainder of the logic of the theft deterrent system. If a class 2 message containing a valid password is received from the BCM, the PCM will continue to allow the fuel injectors to operate. The PCM will allow the fuel injectors to operate until it decides there is no valid password coming from the BCM. If the PCM does not receive a class 2 message, or receives a class 2 message with an incorrect password, the engine will crank and will not run or will start and stall immediately.

Theft System Indicator
    The IPC illuminates the theft deterrent indicator as determined by the theft deterrent system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the BCM requesting illumination.

The vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system requests the IPC to illuminate the indicator only when the ignition switch is ON.
    The content theft deterrent (CTD) system requests the IPC to illuminate the indicator only when the ignition switch is in the OFF or ACC positions or during RAP.
    The body control module performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.
    Fuel Lockout Cycle
    When it receives a password which is incorrect or a password which indicates tamper and the PCM disables the fuel injectors, the fuel injectors remain disabled for 10 minutes even if the ignition switch is turned from the RUN position to the OFF position.

Changing the Passlock™ Components
    i had two 7" woofers lying around so i added to the rear; to my surprise...it improved the sound quite a bit. i was driving a smaller car before (audi) and didn't find the rear speaker add any sound value, but in a larger vehicle like the intrigue, it does help.
    Though it took my guy a long time to do it as he had to remove the back panel; not difficult but takes time.
    I too had some reservations, but I can change back to the single piston OE caliper anytime. I got the idea on the swap from guys who have used the same '98 Camaro parts on '67-69 Camaros with an adapter plate to the original spindle. They have used various M/C's, and vacuum booster setups in these conversions. Plus, Behr and Master Power, and Brembo make upgrade kits that use similar twin piston calipers and large cross-drilled/slotted rotors. These kits can be used without changing the M/C. I wouldn't have done it, if I thought safety would be compromised. On the other hand, I think the stopping distances are improved and the car is safer. I guess we may never know precisely until a dynamic test is done with this caliper/Master cylinder combo. The only real difference with the Autobahn option. I only need the 12" Caliper bracket (abutment) to swap the calipers back out. Do you work for GM or Ford?
    Thank You, moonshadow..
    msw13 asked: "Do you work for GM or Ford?"

No, I work for one of the largest brake suppliers and we supply all the major manufacturers plus the hydraulic brake truck industry. Since the brake system is designed to perform under worst case conditions, I doubt that anything you've done would degrade performance in a way that you would notice.

Regarding stopping distance being improved, I doubt it. You could lock the wheels with the stock brake system so unless you put on stickier rubber, there's no way you could improve stopping distance. You may be experiencing greater decel at the same pedal effort because you've increased the gain.
    This might be a stupid question but I will ask it anyway. When you take your car in for a tune up what do they actually do.
    Look in your owner's manual. You probably won't find any reference to "tune up." There will be intervals for changing air filters, maybe fuel filter, and spark plugs. Dealers will typically do a "throttle body cleaning" and "fuel injector service" as part of a tune up. In my opinion, both of those treatments are of dubious value.

Unless your car is running rough or your check engine light has come on, there's probably no need to do anything beyond what the owner's manual recommends.
    My car had 119,000 miles on it and I was getting 19mpg in mixed driving. I got a tune up that cost $412.00. The mechanic did the fuel injector cleaning and other stuff. I thought it was a lot of money but the mechanic is a friend of the family so I feel he didn't screw me (I think).. Anyways, since I got the tuneup I am averaging 26mpg in mixed driving. With today's gas prices I should make the money back in a week..
    At 119K miles, some of those things probably do work well. I don't think the guy who asked the question has nearly that many miles. My son just had a 15K checkup on his Matrix. The dealer did a throttle body cleaning. No way that was needed at 15K miles. Cost him $54.
    what's the best way to do a mpg, or, kpl (kilometer per litre) calculation? My fill up pattern varies.
    I think the only meaningful mileage calculation is one that's done over several fillups. Top off the tank, record the odo and then keep track of how much gas you use over 3 or 4 tanks. Top off that last fillup, record odo, add up the fuel used. Recording over several fillups should offset the effect of a short or partial fillup along the way.
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    I know I've asked a lot, and I appreciate the info, but I found yet another candidate on a local new car lot:

1999 Olds Intrigue GLS
    23500 miles (checked Csrfax...usage was 3-6K per year)
    No sale green, tan leather guts
    No slider
    CD/Cassette + 12 disc changer in trunk

Trunk...brings me to a bad point. I smelled a horrible mildew smell. After test drive (man those things drive well), I pulled up the cover over the spare tire and there were puddles of water. Tire changing instructions look like they were wet at one time or another, too.

They are asking $12

I'm thinking waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy less....$8,5 or so.

What say you, oh wise ones?

Car is in Columbia, SC.

Turboshadow
    Wet trunk?? Run! Means either the trunk lid does not fit properly or the rubber seal no longer seals. Could be the car was in a flood.
    Mildew is almost impossible to get out of a car.

I'd steer clear of the car no matter how low the mileage.

Wonder what my 98 with 37500 on it would bring if this one is $12K?

Deke
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I would ask about the water in the trunk. Personally, they are asking way too much. I'm thinking about $7k esp. with the water damage.