Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I got my oil changed at 63k miles now at 65.5k the change oil indicator came on. I did not reset it at 63k miles. since I did not reset it, would this cause the change oil to go off prematurely? Esp. since it does not actually check the quality of the oil but measures the revolution and the engine temperature.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Not sure what all the computer keeps track off for the oil life monitor but clearly if you did not reset it, it's going to come on much sooner than if you had. Mine generally comes on between 4000 and 4500 miles with mostly city driving.
    That is what I figured. I wlll pop the hood this afternoon and check the quality of the oil. I will reset the change oil monitor as well.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    where is it and how to reset?
  • msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    The monitor is reset by turning the ignition key to the 'ON' position, and then pushing the accelerator pedal to the floor 3 times. The 'Change Oil' light in the IP will flash 3 times to indicate reset. That's it. It is in the Owners Manual too.
    Has anyone had a sunroof installed in their Intrigue or any other car? Just wondering about cost and reliability (i.e., leaks). I would probably just get a flip-up roof if I did it at all.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    My 1997.5 Regal GS has an ASC sunroof installed by the dealer on initial delivery. The car has 108,000 miles on it. It doesn't leak and works great, though the sunshade on it is incredibly flimsy and the fabric has worn through in one spot. They should install drain tubes and such just like a factory one would have, so leaks should not be an issue.

If you do it, get one that's quality. I think if you cheap out on a sunroof, you'd probably regret it.
  • steveb00steveb00 Member Posts: 1
    I got my air filter changed about 5 days ago and I am not sure it is back on correctly. I have a 2000 Intrigue GL. Where the rubber tube connects from the throttle body to the cover is there two plastic pieces that are not covered by the rubber? These plastic pieces are part of the air filter cover itself. Could someone take a look at yours and let me know. Thanks
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Anyone know if it is a relatively easy thing to remove the lenses from the headlight assemblies? I know the assembly itself pops out easily. I noticed today that mine has some sort of fog or deposit inside the lens and on the reflector so I thought I'd try to clean it. Is this possible/easy/hard to do?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I have a 2000 Intrigue which we bought new. It's been a good car aside from a couple of small issues repaired under warranty. After 75,000 kms we just replaced the front pads and the dealer suggested a new fuel filter. I had it done but it was pricey, around $70 with labor. Did I get taken for a ride?
    You may not have needed the fuel filter but for $70, that's pretty cheap insurance if you are planning to keep the car a lot longer.
  • rocketman71rocketman71 Member Posts: 15
    It was 2 years ago today, June 14/2002, that the last Intrigue came off the line in Fairfax. Still enjoying my 2002 GLS.
    Cheers
  • dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    We'll be moving to Florida soon and I was thinking of possibly selling the 'Trig before we go. We figure everything we need to carry with us will fit in the wife's Camry and we can pick up a replacement for the Olds when we reach our new home.

Just trying to see what my car would be worth - I don't really agree with the KBB figures, but I'm predudiced, I guess.

1998 Intrigue base (built 8/98), SilverMist, grey cloth, spoiler, in-glass antenna (was an option on the 98s according to the brochures, but I've never seen one with an antenna mast!), AM/FM/Cassette/CD (single disc), replaced the original Goodyear Eagle LS tires last Summer with Yokohama AVID Touring. 37,9XX miles. Owned since new.

Am I out of line looking for $6000? Trade-in is pegged around $3400 or so and retail $6400.

If I drive it to Florida, I may sell it to my father so I can finally retire his 84 Cutlass 4-door that has who-knows-how-many miles over 100,000! Maybe my mother's 84 Fifth Avenue with 150,000+ can go....

Of course Dad's price would be more or less the trade-in value.... Never piss off your parents!

Thanks for any enlightening responses.

Deke
    dekester: I would recommend the second course of action. Trying to sell a 6 year old, discontinued vehicle will be tough. I think $6k is a little high. Could be wrong but if the trade-in value is $3400 (you'd be lucky to get that from a dealer with all the incentives they are offering), private sale is only about $4500-$5000.

I would offer it to your father as a Father's Day present. Well, one he has to pay $5000 for.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    dekester, you might also want to ask Terry over in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. He's very helpful.
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    With only 38K miles, I don't see why you don't just keep it. Unless you're looking for something else to drive, rather than simply avoiding driving it down to FL. You've got a proven engine and drivetrain in the car that will last a long time. Plus plenty of aftermarket if you feel like souping it up. If you're really intent on selling it, I'm sure that some older retired couple wouldn't mind taking it on (you will be in FL after all). They'll probably have more of a history and nostalgia with Olds, and would appreciate the low miles (and willing to spend more than Dad). Whatever you choose, good luck!
    I'd drive it South in a heartbeat, but with two cars and only two drivers, my wife doesn't want to be in her car alone (but it's OK for me, I guess). I've averaged 30+ MPG on a few Interstate trips to the Poconos, and I know it'll get better on the trip to FLA with no mountains!

Three auto shipping services quoted me from $650 -$750 door-to-door; a little steep for me.

Maybe we'll need to recruit a friend to make the trip as long as we buy them a plane ticket home.

Thanks again.
    Deke
    Great - tell us what he comes up with.

Regarding shipping it, a friend of mine managed to get her car across the entire country (three different times!!) by calling household moving companies. They added her car to someone else's load. Might be worth a few phone calls to see how their prices compare to the auto shipping companies.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,029
    Regarding the above post mentioning that Deke has never seen a '98 with an antenna mast, I was behind 2 different ones today (Intrigues are everywhere around here it seems) that both had mast antennas on the right rear fender.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

You can drive down with your wife and fly back for probably $300 or less, pick up the car and drive it down yourself. My son shipped a car to California a couple years ago. The driver took it off the haulaway to unload something in front of it. He went to lunch before putting my son's car back on the truck and it was sideswiped by a hit and run driver. The insurance company made good on it but what a pain.
    Wow! I thought it was one of those things that was offered but GM decided not to build them with it! My wife's Camry has the "diversity" antenna also. Years ago GM had them in the windshield - my father had a 73 Buick Apollo hatchback and it had the lousiest receptiion imagineable! Even AM stations wouldn't come in clear! With a 350 4bbl and duals, it was kinda loud, so there was really no need for the radio!

Deke
    Looks like the Real-World Trade-in Values people don't care about the Intrigue! Got no response to my repost there. Looks like SUV and European cars get quick replies....

My sister volunteered to fly up and co-pilot with my wife, which leaves me to drive solo. Hhhmmmmm.... Means I can crank up the Humble Pie, Led Zeppelin and Badfinger CDs!

Deke
    Deke, ask him again - it may have just been overlooked. It's easy to do when there are a lot of posts to deal with.
    You could look at Ebay also.

30 Days in the Hole - a true classic!
    Posted it twice and no response. Too much back and forth about used BMWs and basketball...
    Gotta go with the earlier stuff when Frampton was in the band! The Fillmore album was the best live set since the Allman Brothers!

Looks like Dad will get the 'Trig eventually since I can get no response from the Trade in board....
    Yeah, I've got that one. "I don't need no doctor" is one of my favorites.

I've got a 2000 Intrigue. Would love to get an Infiniti G35 or Accord coupe but the Trig is paid for so the thought of taking on a $400 payment doesn't appeal to me. Love the 3.5l engine but I have some concerns about the long term reliability. At least I'm at the flat part of the depreciation curve.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Have you seen/heard the Peter Frampton: Live in Detroit DVD and CD that came out in 2000?

It is fantastic. "I don't need no doctor" is on the DVD. Can't remember about the CD.

I think a good way to judge Intrigue values is ebay. It has been my expereince that Intrigue trade in values are pretty low but their value on the used car lot is not that far off from other W body cars.
    Yes I have that DVD. I think it was the first one I bought (it was a $5 promo for something as I recall.) As a frustrated guitar hack, I love to see guys my age rocking & rolling.

What are you driving now? Got rid of the Lexus and the Impala didn't you?
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Located one of these the other day on a dealer'swebsite with only 19,700 miles and in excellent condition.

Thinking seriously of buying (dealer is asking 10.9). My question is, are most of you owners satisfied?

I rented a couple of Intrigues during long trips a few years ago and found them comparable to my old Maxima in handling and performance. I was impressed. Whaddaya think?
    I'm pretty happy with my GX. Love the 3.5 engine. Gets close to 30 mpg on the highway, huge trunk, very comfortable for long trips. The GL being a higher trim level would make it even better.
  • jasoncjasonc Member Posts: 16
    Its a good car, I have a '99 and love it. I got it for $8200 w/ 67,000 miles on it last Sept. Just know that the value will probably drop fast over the next year or two. The KBB value on mine dropped in half since I bought it. Try talking them down to $8500.
    Just thought someone on here might be able to help me on this. I have a '99 Intrigue w/ a tape player, not a CD player. I'd like to find a factory CD player to put in it. Does anyone know the best places on the web to look? I don't want to spend a lot of money. I've looked at salvage yards but any decent system is usually already ripped out, plus I don't see many Intrigue's in salvage yards. I don't want to get a name brand, I hate they way they look compared to the factory ones. Thanks for any info anyone has.
    If you haven't done so already, eBay is always worth a look.
    I was going to check there next, I just get wary of ebay stuff. I've been burnt on ebay before but I'm running out of options. The ones I have found on the internet are about $300, way too much in my opinion for a factory stereo in a 5 year old car.
    Understood - hope members here have other suggestions. :)
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    If cost is critical, then ebay is probably your best bet. I saw one for a 98 Intrigue on ebay for a starting bid of $25. Just type in Intrigue CD player and it will take you there.
    I was going to check there next, I just get wary of ebay stuff. I've been burnt on ebay before but I'm running out of options. The ones I have found on the internet are about $300, way too much in my opinion for a factory stereo in a 5 year old car.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I am driving a '04 Cadillac SRX. Base V6.
    It is a great driving vehicle. Lots of room.
    Lots of power.
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Thanks for the input. Still haven't made a decision. My wife wants a sunroof, and this particular car doesn't have one. And, I'm still wrestling with the depreciation/out of producton factors.
    The steepest part of the depreciation curve is already behind you. If you don't pay too much and plan to drive it for 4 years or more, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Turned 38,000 miles this morning. Is the 3.8 broken in yet?

Also, if you remember my disappearing lug nut caps, I'm down four now! Three on the right front and one on the right rear. Any idea why only the right side?

Just curious if anyone's replaced their 98 or 99 Intrigue's wheels and have the caps, would you be interested in entertaining an offer for five????
    I'd hate to have to pay GM parts price for what is basically a $.15 piece of plastic.

Deke
    Please remember that you can't use the Town Hall to buy or sell things - sorry.
    My apologies.... Was just fishing around for someone to contact me directly.

I'll go stand in the corner for the rest of the afternoon....

Deke
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Just breezing on by, been spending lots of time on Edmunds lately because I've been shopping for a car for my fiance, who wants to get rid of her 2000 Alero GLS. It has 20,600 miles and outwardly looks great but frankly the build quality has been amazingly poor. The power steering failed (we had to pay of course, nearly $2000 for a whole new unit), the engine sounds terrible and it squeaks and moans like you wouldn't believe. Truly a hunk of junk!

Fortunately, my '02 Intrigue is nothing like that. I've got around 19,000 miles on it and its still trouble-free. Only wear is that the 1 and 3 buttons on teh radio are wearing out a little. Car still looks great and drives great though, no troubles at all.

We're thinking of replacing the Alero with a new Malibu Maxx. There's a $4k loyalty rebate on it right now and I've found a dealer willing to give me all of his holdback under invoice too, so I'm looking at $700 under + $4k + $900 in GM card earnings. Pretty sweet deal, and I LOVE the car. Closer to the Intrigue than the Alero, the materials, fit and finish and all of that are top notch. Solid engine, but the features on the Maxx are great--the sliding and reclining rear seat in particular. The one we are looking at has an upgraded package with head curtain air bags, rear audio system, power seat and remote start system (pretty cool). MSRP is 23150, I'm looking at $15997 including GM card.

We'll decide if we're going to do it this week...anybody else own a new Malibu?
  • nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Since we are on the topic of the stock radio unit, does anyone know if the 2002 radio unit can be swapped for a 98-01 radio unit? The 2002 model yr was the year they upgraded the radio to standard CD w/ RDS, six presets and stuff...
    I don't think it can. I've been looking for a CD player to replace my cassette player in my '99 Intrigue and each one offered on ebay distinguishes between Oldsmobiles from 1995-2001 and 2001 to present. Your best bet is to go to the nearest Olds or GM dealership and ask the service dept.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I looked at a Max at the local auto show in March and was similarly impressed. Interior material design and quality is several notches better than any other Chevy I've seen. Sounds like a great deal. We're looking at replacing our Dodge Dakota with a full-size truck for pulling a horse trailer (keeping the Intrigue, maybe forever) with a 2004 GMC Sierra. MSRP of $29,300; out the door (less taxes) for $20,300 (with $2,000 GM Mastercard rebate money). Amazing. I'm not wild about several cosmetic aspects of GM's big trucks, but you can't possibly beat their bang-for-the-buck these days.
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Beat the value of GM right now. There may be better vehicles elsehwere...but not for the money. The Malibu/Maxx truly is right there with the CamCords anyway, although it actually has some personality. But what can you get for 15/16 these days??? A Focus ZX5, Mazda 3 maybe but those are small cars. Its unbeatable.
  • htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    Hello: Its time for my annual report. My Intrigue turned four on June 10th. It now has 52,000 miles. There have been a few problems this year, but nothing major. I had to replace the left outer tie rod which with 4 wheel alignment cost almost $300. The crankshaft sensor also had to be replaced $180, and I finally got to experience first hand the rumbling noise of the struts that need to be lubed and retorqued a mere $42. The Intrigue once again is running great. I still have the original Goodyear RSA OEM tires. Amazingly with 52,000 miles there is still 6/32 of tread depth. When the time comes I will probably opt for the Continental Premier Contact which is not a high performance tire, but is a comfortable all season radial at a very reasonable price of $90. per tire. I have been both careful and lucky so far no door dings and no scratches. My Ruby red paint remains virtually flawless. I wish Jgriff still posted here. I knew that my Oldsmobile would provide me with better service that his Acura. Hope everyone is well. Htwired in Milwaukee