Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    "People don't just spend more money on cars just because they want to [and we are not talking BMW, MB, Lexus etc.] they do in order to have reliable/dependable tools"

What a joke. Where do you get this stuff from??

HONDA RULES MAN!! INTRIGUES SUCK.

Post some more Honda propaganda PLEASE!!!
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    I concur.

jgriff, if you've commentary that adds to the Intrigue discussion, you're most welcome to offer it. However, commentary on the Acura is more appropriate in the respective Acura discussions. Future (and possibly past) off-topic posts debating the merits of the Acura will be removed.

Everyone else, please get back to the topic. Man... See what happens when I let you guys talk about politics???

Later,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Seems pretty great to me, based on personal (recent) experiences. My '98 Intrigue was drum-tight even after 47K miles when I turned it in, and my new Grand Prix GTP is absolutely flawless thus far. That's something I can't say for the Honda Prelude, Acura Integra, Mazda Miata and Mazda Milennia I owned previously.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    So are you going to buy the aurora when it comes in? Is your dealer in Florida where they can't offer the 5/60 warranty? Did you get your condo worked out and will you become a permanent florida citizen?
    The impala guys are experiencing the steering noises that the intriguers have been dealing with since 1999 or before.
    You would think GM would jump all over this problem, but it appears to be unfixable.
    I get the noise driving over speed bumps now. It is definitely getting worse.
    It actually feels like the suspension is loose, as if something needs to be tightened. It is exclusively on the left side of the car.
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    At least the Intrigue forum has the good American spirit of which helps make this a great country. We let anybody start a business here::::::just ask the Asian folks..Hope that China and Russia invites these nice folks in---do you suppose these countries were overlooked????

b4z:::::::Finish painting???? The condo deal finally closed on 2/6; furniture is stored in some warehouse in southern Fla and wife is back in Mich.. I think the whole thing was a mistake and I realize that the furniture will not survive too well..

I certainly didn't sign any orders for an Aurora but I understand it was ordered, and I retain the right of first refusal!!!The car is coming out of a Mich dealer so it gets the 5/60 warranty..

I ask the dealer to quote me a price on an extended warranty for the Intrigue-5/75-Major Guard-0 ded. I was given a bid of $1025.. I had received info from GM by mail this week on the same warranty with $100 ded at a price of $1,220. I adore the bidding game!!! The 5/100 warranty w/0 ded gets a little pricey at $1780. Looks like the last 25k is a real fix-up time.

Since the Intrigue resale is not too swift I thought a little added sweetener might soften the blow.. Just tossing around ideas at this time.

Will find out Wednesday what size V-8 is going to be added to the GM SUV in lieu of the I-6. I forgot to ask my contact today; had other problems to face.

one2one::::::How are the Michelin tires for noise level and harshness?????

My Intrigue at speed is glass smooth; but on rough roads at lower speeds it sounds like the front end could fall off at any moment. The steering is tight, no play or slop in the wheel movement. I am about 235 miles away from ending the original warranty and for some reason concerned about the next 50k miles..

Had lunch yesterday with a retired Chrysler engr. whom I play alot of golf with during the summer and he was telling me that Chrysler is offering special deals to "Friends of Chrysler Employees"..He had the coupons at home and the pricing is at invoice less any rebate. Chance to get the 300M with the Euro suspension. The world is full of deals. With a little wheeling one should be able to get a loaded 300M for 25k+tax.

Enough car babble for one day--see what tomorrow will bring..Probably snow. Dindak----understand Toronto got 15" of snow on Thursday..
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    Took my 99 Intrigue GL back to the dealer today to have the tires rotated and a couple of trivial recalls done. I have been hanging on to the recalls for the last couple of years waiting until I needed some warranty work done, but the car has never needed any warranty work. This is the first time I've been back to the dealer since I bought the car in late 98.

The service dept calls to tell me they damaged the rear bumper while driving the car into the shop (having an ice storm here, everything is like a skating rink). Of course they are all apologetic and will replace the bumper, only the facia was damaged.

This would have bothered me more if it wasn't for the fact that the car was rear-ended last month by an un-attentive teenager in a Camry. That also required the bumper to be replaced so the paint was barely dry on that new bumper. The car suffered no sheet metal or structural damage, but the Toyota bumper went under mine so his front end had considerably more damage.

Aside from the bumper thing, the car has been flawless, no noises or problems. By far the best car I've owned. My wife wants to dump her Taurus and for me to buy a new car and give her the Intrigue, but I want to hang on to it for several more years yet. Old makes the only GM products I have any interest in and with them gone I will probably be resigned to buying some Honda product that will run contrary to stereotype and be in the shop all the time.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    b4z: I completely feel your pain. I have a 2000 Intrigue and have had it in to the dealer no less than 7 times for the exact problem you described. I hear it when going slow over bumps. Usually in my subdivision. It's driving me nuts and now I obsess over it. Why can't the dealer get it fixed? Is it the steering half shaft? Is it a loose caliper? I am about this close to getting rid of the car because I can't stand the thought of listening to that noise for the next 100,000 miles.
  • dwgdwg Member Posts: 43
    I'm back. Glad to see the old gang is still discussing politics and jgriff's new Acura CL.

On a diagnostic note, I mentioned a problem about 3 weeks ago involving feed back through the steering wheel of my 2000 Intrigue. Usually over rough pavement and at both slow and high speed, I notice a "loose" feeling that comes through the steering wheel. It's the strangest thing.

When I took the car in for its 12,000 mile service, I had the service guys check it out and they claimed they couldn't find anything (surprise). I'm monitoring things until it's due for the 15,000 mile service later this month or next.

Any ideas out there?

dwg
    Part of what i am hearing is a continuation of the jounce bumper design issue. I hear the same popping sound when i go over a speed bump that i hear when i am turning right.

When i go over bigger bumps i am definitely hearing something moving around as if the suspension is not controlling the left front wheel assembly.

It manifests itself as a clunking sound. It might very well need another steering shaft. I know that teo on the impala board is having continuing problems with his.

Anyway, it is getting worse as the miles go on.
    It is your basic 1970's or 80's trashy american car feel that happens when the miles pile up. But it is not the body structure that is turning trashy and loose it is the suspension components.
    Have you guys ever had a power steering groan that happens when you first put the car in reverse, start backing up and turn the wheel and the car will groan or shudder?
    I think i might prefer the inline 6 in the Trailblazer to the v8. I friend of mine has a Tahoe with the 5.3L LS1 variant. I was surprised at how much it vibrated at idle, either in park or drive. So much so that the side view mirrors are distorted.

My intrigue idles almost imperciptably. I am not saying that the tahoe idles like a 4 cylinder accord, but a V8 should be much smoother than that.

The inline 6 has a much power as the 270 hp 4.8L V8. Granted it is high in the rev range (6000rpm).
    The Trailblazer will offer a 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 rearend. I would think the they would offer the low end torque that both you and i are looking for if we went with either the 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

The OHC 6 will be much smoother than the OHV V8. so that will be my choice. I just have to figure which gear i want. Gas mileage is important to me and i am sure those 4.10s are not an economy gear.

I called my dealer and they will not have any in
    until March/April. the lowest price will be $25,000 the next trim level will be $29,000, a little steep for me.

I may consider the envoy since people who have seen it says it has the most attractive interior.
    1415 : Toronto got about 15", but here just 30 miles west of the city we only got about 2 inches. It all washed away with the pouring rain yesterday anyway. Cold today though!

mkco : How are you liking the GTP compared with the Intrigue?

bz4 : I was driving my mom's Alero and the idle on that compared with my Intrigue was very noticeable. If getting one of the new GM SUVs, I would definitely go I-6. It looks to be a very good engine and should be very competitive.
    b4z::::::::It was a good post but it didn't pass the soberiety test, it was vulgar and mean-spirited..I was given a chance to correct and resubmit; but I decided to pass.

FRONT END RATTLE CURE::::::::::Went back to the long term test by Edmunds on the 98 Intrigue which I had copied for my records. Recap Sept 1998; reprint from article: Strange rattles coming from the front>>>dealer had replaced rack and pinion steering assy, the intermediate shaft in the steering column and the front struts in an effort to quiet the noises emanting from the front end of his Intrigue. That didn't fix the problem. So the dealer continued the hunt for the noise and found that the plastic wheelwell liners were RATTLING AGAINST THE FRONT FENDERS. By applying some sound deadening material, the dealer successfully exiced odd noises from this Olds and the car is running "as quiet as a church mouse."

That story certainly has a happy ending, so lets fix the noise and "hug your Intrigue."

Mississippi state government is confiscating private land and making it available to Nissan Motors so they will build a $930-million plant in Canton, Miss.. The government is using the right of eminent domain proceedings to grab the final 27 acres to finally complete the states land grab of 1,500 acres for "dear Nissan Motors."

More Asians, more pain, and more layoffs for the Big 3...Doesn't it make you proud to be an American and watch our established manufacturing base go into the sewer... Now this is done with the help of our own government, and their greed for anyone's money. However they are using our tax money to lure these nice foreign companies.. Look out the window--you might see a NATO vehicle parked on your block..

Wish the stock market would finally shake its losing streak..
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Toronto got 15cm yesterday or about 6 inches. I think my 99 Intrigue is now turning into a POS since I'm out of warranty, yesterday the thing stalled on me twice while driving through driveways with lots of snow on them, think the ETS is screwed. Quite the safety hazard, will have to remember to turn the ETS off in bad weather till more things break and I get rid of it.
  • bhopkins3bhopkins3 Member Posts: 3
    I am a very concerned mother interested in purchasing an Oldsmobile Intrigue. I have researched the car and find the crash testing to be disturbing. Would anyone like to offer me their opinion on the safety of this car? Thank you.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    This post will probably get cut, but I'm going to post anyway. I agree with you completely with post# 1313 on the governments taking of land through eminent domain. It is a downright disgrace that this is done for private business. No doubt Nissan will get some big tax credits as well. I'm all for free trade and an open market and was completly against Clinton's idea to subject Japanese luxury cars to a 50% tariff back in 95, but we should not be giving their companies the upper hand. I frankly don't understand the appeal of their cars. They are not perfect and despite what our freind Mr. Griff will say, they do break down. Anyone ever see an Acura dealership which doesn't have a service department? BTW, I'm not a big blue oval fan, but the Marauder is the perfect car for Mercury. Maybe with Bush in, Ford knows they have at least a few more years before the fun is over and we are all driving Insights and Priuses.
    Okay, if Jgriff's Intrigue got beaten badly by a 4 cylinder Accord, then I can partly understand why he wanted rid of it and disliked it so much. Something must have been badly wrong with it. I don't think I've even been beaten by a 4 cylinder Accord. I don't make a habit of racing people, but when I see some punk next to me with his bass thumping, baseball cap on backwards, and revving that little sewing machine up, well I like to put him in his place and show him what a real car with a REAL engine will do:) As I said in the last post, I just don't get the appeal of those types of cars. I'm not saying you have to buy Olds or even domestic, but the import world is alot broader than Honda or Toyota. Heck, I'd take a Nissan Maxima over a Camccord. Then there is the Passat, Volvo S40, and even Mitsu Gallant. All much better looking and better performing than the Camcord. And Acura is nothing special. Buy a Volvo or a Saab. Or dare I say a BMW. I guess I'm a non-conformist, but something which is popular with the masses, does not usually impress me.
  • jkkinnova1jkkinnova1 Member Posts: 6
    is exactly how I would describe my 99 GLS at times and what I posted about earlier. I don't hear any noises - occasionally I just get this shuddering feedback when moving the steering wheel from the center position.
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    How much of your post was a rehash of the Edmunds article and how much was your personal experience?

Are you front end noises fixed???

If they are, good for you!!!
    racer x 9:::::::In hitting the outside surface of the RH fender near the wheel opening with mild hand pressure; the liner does rattle badly.. I have not gotten into it yet as what to use for sound-deadening material or the best area for the quickest cure..

The story was a rehash of the Edmunds article and not my personal experience. I had the intermediate shaft replaced on the 99 GLS and racks/shafts done on the 98GLS..Never had the struts replaced for I figured it was a waste of time and they would probably screw something else up in the fix.

My car is parked in the garage with the RH side exposed to the center or aisleway so in passing to enter the house I would occasionally bang the RH fender near the bumper facia and listen to the rattle.. Too lazy I guess to study further..

However the cold weather increases the front end clatter and the aging plastic panels seem to all have meshed together. Even though we have had a snowy wet winter; the car has only been exposed to limited wet useage so far..

The front bumper facia portion under the nose of the car is flappy and not secured well; but I don't think it is the problem.

If the mood strikes today I will explore further..

Does your Intrigue have the same quirks????
    Not to sound smart, but i haven't had the oppurtunity to test the crashworthiness of my intrigue.
    It is has the same chassis as the other Gm midsize cars, so i would expect it to have the same safety in a real world crash.
    I am very tall and still have about two inches between my knee and the dashboard. So the dash could move back several inches and my knees still wouldn't be broken. This is more than i can say for the other cars i test drove.
    Wear your seatbelt and put the seatback as far as you can and still drive comfortably.
    While the scores for the Intrigue are not the best, I do have some first hand experience with Intrigue's cousin, the Grand Prix. About one year ago my wife and I were victims of a red light runner. We were driving about 40mph and t-boned her car. Our Grand Prix was totalled, but the car held up perfectly and we walked away nothing more than shaken up. While I do pay attention to crash results, I also know there is more to safety than laboratory tests. The Intrigue has 4-wheel disc ABS brakes, traction control and available PCS. These things will all help you avoid an accident. I KNOW the ABS on the Grand Prix lessened the blow of the accident and probably saved 2 childrens lives. I also know the crumple zones of the Grand Prix performed flawlessly and saved us from harm. I have complete faith in my Intrigue. It feels more solid than an Accord or Camry and outperforms both.
    While I do take great pride in owning an Oldsmobile, a car name with heritage.. I don't begrudge anyone for buying a "foreign" car. I prefer to buy from the "big 3" if I can, but I have also owned a Honda and a Datsun. I have friends that work for parts plants and GM so I know the direct impact a slowdown will have on them. On the other hand, I am spending a lot of money on a car and I will not drive something I don't like just to save a job. Intrigue kept me in the GM fold and the new Saturn Vue might do it again when the lease is up on our Crapalier. I only hope GM or Ford come up with something to replace my Intrigue with down the road or I may be shopping at a Nissans dealership.
    It's ironic that in Canada, the big three have a bigger slice of the pie than in the U.S. GM still commands a 33%+ market share here. While I am much younger than you are (32), I do remember some hard times in the 70's and 80's. I also do try and buy Canadian or U.S. products if I can. Many of my friends drive Hondas, VWs and Nissans. I have no problem with that. It's personal choice and that freedom makes this a great place to live.
  • dwgdwg Member Posts: 43
    Sounds like the problem you have experienced is the same as mine. I especially notice the loose steering feel when I am making tight cornering turns (inside the parking structure at work, for example). Keep me posted if you solve the problem.

dwg
    ...there was an active Foreign vs. Domestic topic.

Off-topic posts have been removed.

Thanks

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    I like to buy American when possible, but it's not a requirement. I buy American/GM cars because they seem to offer the most for the price. For years, domestics blew the imports away in this area. Now that many European cars are being built in Mexico and most Japanese cars are built here in the US, their costs are down and they seem to be a better value, but most domestics still give you more bang and more bells for the buck. And despite what some say, long term reliability and durability is quite good. I traded an 89 Olds Toronado with 115K on my Intrigue back in 98 and that car still ran very well. In fact, I drove it all through college and it never made me late to class, a date, or a frat party and despite having every electronic bell and whistle this side of a Cadillac, everyting except the A/C still worked well when I traded it. My father has a 95 Aurora which now has over 75K on it and has had very few problems. 95 was the first year for the Aurora and EVERYTHING in the car was new that year, yet there have been very few problems. And years ago he had a 1980 Cutlass which had 160,000 miles on it when he traded it. So I guess I just don't buy the old "Asian is better" stereotype because it has yet to be demonstrated to me. As I said before, has anyone ever seen an Acura or a Toyota dealer that doesn't have a service department? For the price, the Intrigue is hard to beat on performance, faetures, and style. Too bad GM has decided to cut Olds loose. Hopefully the next generation Grand Prix and Regal will include many of the elements which made the Intrigue so appealing. Things like clean, upscale styling; a generous list of standard features; and a sophisticated powertrain. Having leased one of those "terrible" 98 Intrigues for 2 1/2 years now, I'm seriously considering a new one this summer when it comes time to turn it in. I figure I'll buy it and drive it for 4 to 5 years then maybe I will be able to afford a new Cadillac. And keep the Intrigue as a second car.
  • david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 99 Intrigue, with which I am very satisfied. There is one mysterious problem, however. Sometimes when I park,walk away, and leave the car unlocked, I return to find one or more doors have locked themselves. Usually only the drivers side front door is locked, but very occasionally I find all four have locked. This has nothing to do with the remote locking device. The unwanted locking has happened when the remote locking device was miles away in a drawer. Besides, a malfunctioning remote locking device most likely would lock all four doors, not just one. The problem is intermittent. It happens 10% of the time or less. The car has been at the dealer's twice for the problem. The dealer has been unable to replicate and is stumped. The last time, the dealer checked for shorts and also disabled the last door locking feature. That didn't make any difference. Has any one else experienced this phenomenon? Anybody have any ideas about what is going on?
    was for 1415, but his post is now gone. Oh well.. disregard all.

david161 : Odd problem. Make sure you get it fixed before the warranty is over. Take it to another dealer if need be.
  • sman002sman002 Member Posts: 3
    We had the same problem, which was even more evident when turning.
    I had the intermediate shaft in the steering column replaced (under warranty) and the problem
    has been fixed!
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    It is probably either the Body Control Module (BCM) computer that is at fault or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) module. I wouldn't expect it is shorted wiring from the symptoms you describe, although there is a small possibility that an intermittently open-circuit battery + or ground wire to the BCM might 'glitch' it enough cause this sort of problem. Have them check that the connectors to these modules are secure and the wires are intact in the connectors first before replacing the modules.

It is also possible, but unlikely, that interference from some nearby transmitter is at fault, e.g. an Amateur Radio setup or someone else's remote coincidentally on the same code. Does it only occur in one location?
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Went to the show Sunday, and while Mercury and mazda has so-so traffic, lots at the Olds display, esp. Aurora and Bravada, less so Intrigue and Alero. mentioned to an Olds rep. (1 or 10) that it was surprising that so much traffic for a division going away eventually. he agreed, but said 3-5 years (3 maybe, 5 no way).

Jibes with what the Olds dealers told GM at the recent NADA convention in Vegas, that sales are way up with the new warr. and incentives, and why kill it? GM said its final, no way and will offer 3k to dealer per unit sold, grandfathered back to late 1999. If any one dealer sues GM, the brand mgr. threatened to cancle all incentives! (nice huh?).

Anyways, told the show Olds reps. about Zarrella (GM North America head) and how he told my brother recently how Harley Davison (sp?) bikes were a bad business model and not doing well (!). All the Olds reps laughed, and said Ron isn't too well respected. pretty funny.
    Sad for Olds though. Did see the new Sterling Silver and did not like it, preferring the Silver Mist as it looks classier and less showey.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Funny, I have a Silver Mist Intrigue and I think the Sterling looks much nicer. It's brighter than the Silver Mist... Mist reminds me of Steel Gray. But I still like my "Steel Gray" Intrigue.

Different strokes for different folks :-)
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you on this. The Pilots definitely improved handling. No squealing even on very tight cornering at higher speeds than posted. As far as ride quality, I personally felt it improved. Noise and harshness are reduced IMO. Perhaps my perception of reduced noise is due to tread pattern. Harshness... car feels great on smooth surfaces (as should be expected) and imperfect surfaces smooth out very well. Keep in mind I went from the "R" rated Goodyears to "H" rated Pilots so the difference was like night and day. I was nothing but pleased with the result.

I believe vcjumper also put Pilots on. He should have a few thousand miles on them now. Perhpas he may post his experiences.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    To my eye, Sterling looks nice, the way silver is supposed to look.
    I hate Silver Mist. Can't decide if it looks like a glass of Alka-Seltzer or a dead fish washed up on the beach. :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    I prefer Sterling over Silver mist also.

I got my $1500/$1000 loyalty certificate. I like how they included spec sheets on all the '01 models and the '02 Bravada. The '02 Bravada looks pretty sweet, but I bet it will be expensive. With my GMO/GMS + $1500 certificate I might be able to get a pretty good deal on one...
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    It was almost like night and day handling wise, ofcourse it is tough to compare as the LS's as new are a distant memory. I can't say I noticed a quieter ride though. The harshness seems to be about the same too. Snow and rain the Michelins seem better (especially rain). The Michelins look a bit wider for the same measurements, they don't seem skinny like the Goodyears did when looking at them from behind.

Now if only I found a way to turn off the traction control permanently. My last car with ETC you could turn it off and it would stay off next time you started the car.
    I can't decide which silver i like the best. I probably lean toward the sterling. Kinda wish it had just a little more metallic in it to make it really pop in the sunlight.

Saw a white '99 with the old style chrome wheels, it looked really good. Not a combination i have seen before.
    one2one/vcjumper:::::::Thanks for the update on the Michelins. Since the tire is a speed rated one with a softer compound is there any restriction as to rotation? Can the tire be switched to the opposite side?

The current Goodyears are at 36k and have developed a rumble at high speeds on smooth black top surfaces. Tires are wearing evenly and no evidence of cupping; in fact they are very well balanced. I think that there must be a slight cord overlap in one of the tires that creates the rumble.

Has anyone read the Edmunds article on the Aurora dtd 1/16/01. Was a fair writeup, however the interior didn't win awards and the 4.0 is a little on the sluggish side. When my Aurora gets in; I shall fax the negative portion of the report and cancel with regrets..

In an attempt to eliminate the horrible front rattle before signing up for the extended warranty; I have offered to rent the lift for one hr. with a mechanic and have the front tires removed so we can totally scan the front end..The warranty pricing for 75k miles $100 ded is $845 for GMs finest Major Guard. That should cover the abuse which I intend to dish out on the Intrigue and take care of any major failure along the way over the next year while I enjoy those high cruise moments.

I have had three posts removed by our esteemed overlords during the last few days. The diversity of the forum is gone so the only thing left is car babble!!!!

The key fob problem experienced by David161 is strange and last fall I had to have the 96 Cad reprogrammed due to the failure of one unit..I have noticed with the Intrigue that the trunk is open a high percentage of the time..Would appreciate a warning on the instrument panel to cover that condition. The trunk lid is not a work of art nor any engineering achievement; in fact it might be easy to pop and gain entry thru the fold down rear seat.
    I read that Edmund's review too. I wouldn't put much stock in it, despite being fairly good as their reviews are the worst of any automotive publication. Consumer Reports does better reviews. Ever notice how Edmunds stuff like to do stupid things like try and pull the headliner down? Or pry the dash panels apart. Christian Wardlaw and his minions are terrible automotive journalists. Read some reviews on the 2001 Aurora in Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Autoweek, Road and Track, etc to get a good report on the car. All that I have read have been pretty favorable. Those guys actually drive the cars and don't try to take the interiors apart.
    For an Intrigue are first to last: Midnight Blue, Bronzemist, Black, Sterling, Ruby, Forest, Sandstone, and White. I'd like to see Polo Green offered in place of Forest and Cadillac's Crimson Pearl offered as an additional color choice on the Intrigue.
    etharmon:::::::I think they did an oustanding job in creaming the Intrigue. If I had read the article prior to the 98 purchase; believe me there would have been no Intrigue in my garage. However after dumping the first one; I did do a stupid thing again!!! No excuse. I was almost an Aurora owner between Intrigues..

The old style Aurora was a silly looking tank with a cramped interior and I really didn't want another Northstar V-8 in the garage.. Two premium gas cars in my garage is not cost effective..

White and black covers the color range with the Lincoln ivory flavor next on my list.

The only silver car was a 57 Porsche 1600S with a red interior. My British Racing Green car with a Tan interior was 58 Porsche 1600S. Great fun, the carefree single days.. Took delivery in Germany while protecting the country..
    Even with the Intrigue.. Edmund's completely ripped it apart (in more ways than one) with their report. Both Consumers Reports and Consumers Digest recommend Intrigue. Most if not all car magazines have lots of praise also. I think Edmund's is VERY pro import. Nothing wrong with imports, just sad that they trash domestic brands. The unfair biased treatment they give to domestics ensures I will never buy an Edmund's publication.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I have thinking about buying an Intrigue-it really offers a lot for the money. It has a quality feel to it,and it has a fairly sporting feel to it. It is a car a car lover can be happy with. However.the car has a very wide dark band at the top of the windshield. I am only 6feet tall,but I like to sit very upright. When I do,and i look only slightly upward,there that dark tint is-it's so distracting. I don't think I am going to buy the car,even though i have accrued $2000 credit earnings on my GM credit card-the car would be VERY inexpensive, Has this band bothered any Intrigue owners?
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Mon roe and KY now offer struts for the Intrigue. KY has firm calving but they say their testing shows ride is greatly improved.

Mon roe offers a Sensatrac strut and a Reflex strut. Apparently, the Sensatrac has soft calving.

I'm going to research these alternatives and also whether different springs would suffice.

I guess I'll be the guinea pig here but it won't be right away. I want to know exactly how my ride will be effected. I do know this: It can't get any worse than it already is.

It appears that the Reflex strut is new etch and the valves open and close in 12 and 15 milliseconds, respectively. Maybe this is why my car thrashes over small bumps (the valves take to long to open and close)??? I wish I could try a few different options.
    Monroe and KYB
    new-tech and valving.

Man, what's the matter with this thing. Spelling was correct before I sent it
    The spell checker is a little different than the old one. It will, by default, correct spelling to whatever it can determine your intention was unless you tell it otherwise. You have the opportunity to keep the "misspelled", though correct, words by selecting them in the drop-down box.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Its good to know that KY has gotten into the automotive business. Maybe a little KY will cure
    my popping jounce bumpers.