Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• oldtimer4oldtimer4 Member Posts: 23
    Hey, guys & gals. That 2000 Intrigue GX of mine with the untraceable oil leak @ 1300 miles has been remedied with the new engine installed under warranty. I got it back yesterday, and finally have what appears to be the new car I purchased back in Nov. The dealer's mechanic who replaced the engine told me they still couldn't spot the leak after removing the engine, but suspected it was either a cracked head gasket or a 'porous' block. He leans towards the latter.

One difference I noticed with the original engine was that it warmed up much quicker and one mark higher on the temp gage than the new one & the same 3.5 in 3 other Intrigues I've driven.

BTW, the color is my favorite Ruby Metallic which really sparkles and attracts lots of attention when it's cleaned up. I've been told the finish will hold up just fine without a coat of wax if it's washed with just a mild soap & gently wiped dry. Any commnets?

As for a tool to remove the oil filter, the dealer's mechanic uses a traditional small end-cap filter wrench.

Thanks to all for your moral support along the way.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    I'd rub some KY on that steering shaft too b4z!
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    It will change your correctly typed words, often garbling them or offer ludicrous alternatives like "Chewy" for Chevy.

Ken
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I wax my car every 4-5 months with Mother's. Either the cleaner wax or the three step system if i have the time.
    My camaro was repainted eight years ago and still has the wet look.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    For all the displeasure here it seems with the Silver Mist it is surprising then the amount of postive comments it has gotten over the past year for my 2000 GL, really it has. Others who attended (3) the auto show with me also did not like the new silver, esp. the overly metallic look it provides. Just their opinion of course. Also less unique now too then, so its just like all the Acura's, Honda's et al, too bad. Love the Midnight Blue, almost got it, but like Black (which i had on my '86 Mustang GT 5.0) too much work keeping it clean here in the land of crappy weather (Chicago).
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    Sounds as though the handling of the Intrigue is becoming a secondary concern and a pillowy soft ride is on the forefront. Sounds like you all should schuffle down to your Buick dealer and hop into a LeSabre..

Monore turns out a fair strut for my only experience was replacing the 94 LeSabre originals @50k miles. The car was traded in on the 98 Intrigue with 113k miles. I paid a Buick dealer $700 to install the Monores which were a very stiff shock like I wanted; but when I traded the car the front tires were starting to flat spot or cup. The Buick suspension is not a speedy deal. However the car was all interstate at 75/80. The performance suspension used by Buick is a farce as explained.

I am still not convinced the racket is coming from the front struts. Intrigue suspension appears to have limited travel but it is about the same as a Regal GS. The Intrigue struts are an Olds exclusive!!!!

etharmon:::::::I do not read Consumer Reports or
    Digest. My favorite one is Automobile Magazine which conducted a long term test of their 98 Intrigue that mirrored my experience without alot of fanfare..I find it hard to believe that the sheer number of cars that the Comsumer bunch tests and rates to really believe that there is much credence to their ratings. I would expect every Big 3 auto to receive an iffy. I have to clean out my 15+ years of auto and boat mag collection. One puts them in a stacks and soon the whole thing is out of hand;time for the junk dealer.
    Good handling and impact harshness do not have to go hand in hand. My suggestion, as i have stated before is slightly stiffer springs, to help with weight transfer and softer valving. The intrigue's struts are initially valved too stiff.
    b4z::::::For $25k nobody is going to give you a strut that is both soft and firm adjusting to road conditions with a life of 100k miles. The best chance of lasting 100k is start out firm. The std strut is gone at 50k and it diminished at 25k.. There is no free lunch. I have run cars 90+k with struts still in fine condition.

I view a car for 100k of abuse and 70% of them have done well!!!!!

I am amazed at the lease drivers who are thrilled that nothing has collasped after 36k miles.. They pay big time in the long run and steady look at the mileage used; that's no way to live..Buy a car and drive it; you will have more time to devote to life instead of worrying abut the next lease rate or over running the mileage limit on the current lease..

Anytime you get a new car if they offer a performance suspension package---buy it!!! It will pay dividends. The Chrysler L-bodies that came out in 93/94 had the Intrepid SE and the Vision TSI that offered a suspension pkg that was outstanding with the high speed Michelins as the sweetener. If I remember correctly the TSI was a given and the package was only offered on the SE Interpid--full size spare only, a bummer...
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    But the early LH sedans sucked big time!!! Rattle traps!!
    The Level III suspension that chrysler offered on the then new LH cars was dropped a few years later because it was too firm.

I don't totally agree or disagree with you on the life expectancy of struts and shocks.

My camaro has 200,000 miles on the original struts and shocks. I took it to NTB 2 years ago planning to put new bilsteins all around, the guy said, as long as yours are not leaking and the car is handling well, stay with what you got.

The car handles and rides pretty close to the way it did when it was new. I would like to mention that the car originally came with bilsteins on the rear. Except for some sloppiness in the steering, it rides as hard and corners as well as it did in 1987.

There have been great strides in shock/strut design in the last few years; digressive valving, monotube struts(intrigue).

You can have your cake and eat it too now, and i think the europeans have it all over us when it comes to dealing with the ride vs. handling compromise.

BMW does a fantastic job of keeping the handling sporty, great ride quality and low interior noise.

Try driving a dodge intrepid, then get in your intrigue and you will see how dodge has achieved a great balance.

The domestics have a lot to learn in this regard.
    Also, I don't think that a strut has to start off hard to give long life. Better quality components can achieve that too.
  • david161david161 Member Posts: 20
    To dindak and Lee18, thanks for your responses to my query about that puzzling, unwanted door locking (my post 1327). Lee18, great question about where it happens. The door locking happens randomly,in parking lots, in front of my house, in underground garages, and it happens whether or not I am carrying my fob. So I have pretty much eliminated the possibility of spurious radio signals. I just never know, when I come back to the car after leaving it unlocked, whether I will find the front door locked or unlocked. I mentioned to the dealer lee18's suggestion about the RCDLR. He said that is in fact his working hypothesis. The car is with the dealer now. Anybody else ever encounter this problem?
    bz4::::::::::The Eagle Vision TSI was using the suspension pkg up to the end...NTB pulled out of Detroit after one year. BMW certainly doesn't fit in the Intrigue class, pricewise..
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I think the Intrigue strikes a pretty good balance between ride and handling. It could be a little easier on bumps, but it's not too bad. The car's handling outweighs any roughness in the suspension. As 1415 said, if you want a cushy ride, get a Buick. My old 89 Toronado had the FE3 suspension which was Olds sport suspension package back then and the ride was smooth on the freeway and handling was pretty decent for a car like that, but it was bone stiff when the road got rough. Detroit has come a long way with their better handling suspenions. It truly used to be a choice between a smooth ride or good handling.
  • FATlittleFATlittle Member Posts: 6
    Like many of you in this forum, I really like Oldsmobiles. Our family have been driving them since 1980s and think they are great cars to own. In an effort to save Oldsmobile someone had setup a site to guide people who want Oldsmobile saved. You can start by putting a BLACK ribbon on your Oldsmobile(s) or proceed to www.SAVEOLDSMOBILE.org to find out how you can contact GM to voice your opinions about Oldsmobile.

If someone could convince Richard Wagoner to launch the OSV then Oldsmobile might be saved through increase in sales.

I've also sent an email suggesting that GM(Richard Wagoner)save Oldsmobile by taking the three initials of the original creator Ransom E. Olds and call it "REO". By renaming Oldsmobile youger buyer will not associate Oldsmobile with "your father's Oldsmobile", which is the ONE and ONLY reason why GM is phasing out Oldsmobile.

Oldsmobile Enthusiast
    Robert-19
  • FATlittleFATlittle Member Posts: 6
    To help in the campaign to save Oldsmobile I suggest that you print a Black ribbon, big enough so that other drivers can see through your back,side, or front window. But the main part is to write to GM,Oldsmobile, and Richard Wagoner.
    Did not know that Chrysler kept the level III suspension. I guess when the dropped eagle they
    dropped it altogether.
    NTB is gone from Charleston too. They announced it, and two days later the store was closed. Sears owns them.
    I like the way my intrigue handles and rides, except on bumpy roads, which seems to be the majority of them where i live.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I'm not sure it will do much good, but I will add my comments to your site. Unfortunately most new Oldsmobile do not have an antenna, so black ribbons are probably not going to work for Intrigue drivers (except for 98 GXs I think).

Thanx for posting here. I'm glad someone is trying to save Oldsmobile.
    FATlittle:::::::Killing Olds gives GM an excuse to hold a 3 yr sale of going out of business and in this economy they will benefit big time. The Buick and Pontiac guys are not too happy and will be relieved when this hoopla comes to an end.

In spite of what Greenspan says we know the Big 3 are bleeding; and it's time to peel off the losers and excessess of too many good years.

As you stated the division has been a loser for a long time and the timing is perfect. Probably the least aggressive division is Buick but AARP keeps it kicking. If you cater to AARP too long somehow the division gets out of step with the industry and dies off----Olds did it and new product was too late in coming..

I have two Olds dealer near my house, one about five miles away who also handles Suzuki and the other one is probably 9 miles and is Olds only. The first mentioned dealer has sloppy service and the other dealer is like a morgue--no action. My Olds dealer is 60 miles away and it is Cad and GMC; also handled Mazda until GM insisted they drop them.

Hate to see it all happen but they picked the right one to kill off and the motoring public will soon forget but will suck up any good deals in the meantime..

Welcome to the Forum--we have a lively bunch blessed with vast auto experience and expertise with the uncanny ability to assist distressed owners and recommend fixes...enough babbling!!
  • formersuver1formersuver1 Member Posts: 19
    I've now turned 35,000 on my 2000DX, tires still good, haven't had to touch the brakes at all, in fact it's only been to the shop for oil changes every 5-6000 miles. Previous to this car, I'd owned a Lexus, a '99 Acura (now there was a car that spent a lot of time in the shop) and several suvs. I live in the Mpls. area, obviously do a lot of driving--this has been a tough winter and I must say that of all vehicles this Intrigue has been the best snow/slush/sleet/ice vehicle I've owned (traction control and stability system). I'd plan to run this one until about 70,000, but if 2001 looks like the last year for Intrigue, I will definitely pick up another one this fall. In my opinion there's no other car out there that offers the combination of handling, reliability and quality at anywhere near the price. With the exception of a few on this board who continually harp on the same problems the majority seem to agree with my evaluation of the car. (I've never owned a GM product before and with the exception of perhaps one more Intrigue, probably never will again.....)

• white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    I talked to the service advisor at the Cadillac/Olds/Buick dealership, that has the Intrigue for installation of the "re-designed" alternator, yesterday afternoon. New alternator is on just fine... however... the radiator was damaged sometime during installation of the alternator! Tech noticed after it was all buttoned up that there was a coolant leak up front. Advisor told me that it was their fault and that they would fix it no charge. Wow, that's real big of him, huh. This dealership is probably the premium dealership in the area... they sell and service Cadillac, Olds, Buick, Audi, Porsche, and Land Rover. Their service dept. has a very good reputation; I guess I'm just lucky. Didn't tell the wife the whole story; she probably would be down there with a baseball bat after what has transpired over the last 3 months with this car and this dealership. Evidently there is a multitude of stuff that has to be removed (or just unbolted and moved away) to change the alternator. Good old front wheel drive; makes servicing a nightmare! I took a look under the hood of my 00 Firebird 3.8; would take about five minutes to change the alternator on that puppy. Of course, since it's a 3.8, it won't need it. I'll let you all know how this whole thing works out; Sheesh!
    The links on your site to GM don't work. The e-mail I sent was returned undeliverable. Might want to check that.
  • oldtimer4oldtimer4 Member Posts: 23
    My 2000 Intrigue GX is my 1st Olds in 50 years of car buying, and in spite of the need to have its engine replaced after 1500 miles, I'm well pleased with it. I've owned a '41 Buick Special & a '49 Buick Roadmaster, a number of Chevy's including a new Camaro & a '71 Vette convertible as well as several non-GM cars along the way, and I must admit I hate to see the Olds line dropped after having finally bought one.

The current styling & performance don't remind me of 'your father's car' in the least, but then I'm no longer part of that 'hot car' market. Perhaps that's why I passed up a jet black GLS with chrome wheels and all the goodies.

I'd like to be wrong, but I seriously doubt GM will respond to pressure to keep the line. Mgmt doesn't always make the smartest of moves, ie what Ford did to the classy T-Bird several years ago. I suppose GM is figuring the 'loyal customer' ticket will encourage Olds owners to switch to a new Buick at trade time. But they'll still lose some overall sales unless they offer a more stylish Buick for the younger & middle-age sets.

I must add that I really appreciate the great info & experience you all share with the rest of us. It's often our only source for the straight dope on concerns & problems.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I'll join the crusade to keep Olds alive. But I won't be overly optimistic. I read an article on Auto.com or Autonews.com that said good 'ol Ron threatened any Olds dealer that sued GM over this. With [non-permissible content removed] policies toward their own dealers like that, it sounds like there's a lot of political battles going on behind the scenes that are bigger than presented. Sounds like more than a division loosing money, especially now that it's doing exactly what it was intended to do.

Would love to see a second generation, rear-wheel drive Intrigue.
  • mrblinkymrblinky Member Posts: 4
    A couple of issues, one minor, one potentially serious:

2000 GLS with PCS, 4000 miles, build date 5/00.

Low Fuel light: I cannot seem to find any documentation (owner manual, service information) on the approximate fuel level when the low fuel light illuminates. From practical experience, I have determined that there are approximately four gallons remaining when the light initially illuminates. Does that seem consistent with the general experience of the group? I have also noticed that my fuel gauge is somewhat deceptive in that it gets pretty darn close or into the red area of the gauge even before the low fuel light comes on. Obviously, that is better than indicating a quarter-tank as the engine dies and you roll to a stop in rush hour traffic. But I am still somewhat concerned by the apparent lack of accuracy.

PCS/TRAC OFF indicator: Last night, leaving the airport, I started the car, released the parking brake, and put the transmission into D3. As I released the brake, I noticed that the car did not feel as though it had engaged the forward gear; generally, even at idle, the car will transfer enough power to the drive-train to move the car, albeit slowly on level terrain. I had to apply pressure to the accelerator pedal to get moving, and the steering felt heavy and sluggish. As I drove towards the parking garage exit, I noticed that the PCS and TRAC OFF indicator lights were both illuminated. Except for starting the car, I have never seen either of them come on before. I pulled into an empty space and re-booted. After re-starting the car, the indicator lights did not re-illuminate and the car handled perfectly. It drove and felt fine all last night and on the drive to work this morning. What does the gallery have to say about this one?

For the record, my wife (who is the primary driver of the Intrigue; I just get weekends and major holidays) and I are both absolutely thrilled with the vehicle. It has performed flawlessly since we purchased the car in September. We, like others out there, have experienced the same looks of dumb surprise when acquaintances are informed it is an Oldsmobile. Generally, they were unaware that the car was a domestic model, much less an Olds. In the last two months, rides in the Intrigue have prompted two acquaintances to check out the Olds line-up. One friend practically STOLE a 2001 Alero GL sedan (with all the recent GM and dealer money) and the other debating with the spousal unit on whether to buy a loaded Intrigue GLS or opt for the 3.5 Aurora. I should be getting commission from my dealer!

Last thought in a rambling message: Has anyone else noticed that automotive magazine reviewers are now practically GUSHING over the current Olds line-up? It seems that everything I read touts the smart engineering and styling of the Alero/Intrigue/Aurora/Bravada; the best line-up currently offered by GM. Where the hell were these clowns two years ago?!
    That's a good one for Valentine's Day! Sounds like a new idea for Hallmark - they've got wife, gf, significant other - need "Spousal Unit" !!

LOL - I guess the kids are the "Replacement Units" !!

Happy Chocoholic Day!

Ken
    I found this TSB on the NHTSA web site. Anyone know what the dealer fix is?

SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT THAT THE BLACK PLASTIC HOUSING AROUND THE OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR TURNS CHALKY OR IS DULL IN COLOR.
    Olds sales are up; but its costing the factory big time to promote and build the volume for dealer buyout is based on units sold from sometime late 99 through end of production. To fight each dealer in separate litigations would last forever; so they are making it easy for the dealers to broom cars and build up that final settlement dollar figure. The cost of this giveaway will show up blood red in a GM quarterly report.

If you want one go for it.

Had lunch with a young engineer leasing a Aurora 99 on a 24 month deal/50k miles, no problem at 42k; second car is a 944 Porsche Turbo.

He said my Intrigue was the absolute mess for the front end racket..Will work on that tomorrow..
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    My dealer's fix for the dull, chalky appearance of my outside rear view mirrors was "Gee, we can't do anything about that." Real shocker, huh? When it warms up this spring I plan to polish off the chalky residue (for the third time) and spray a clear coat on them.
    Were there any '99 model year Auroras??? I think the last Aurora 'Classic' was made for the 1998 model year. The Aurora then skipped over '99 and 2000 for the 2001 model year redesign.

Just curious. Probably your friend's Aurora is a '98.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    The Intrigue springs are same as Regal according to the parts guy at local dealer. Since I like the ride of a Regal, I figure softer valving ought to do the trick, i.e., Sensatrac Struts.

Am I overlooking anything? Is there something else in the suspension system that effects ride harshness? I mean, I have the standard GM bushings, etc.
    teo:::::::You are probably right for I think he has 2 months left on lease.
    oscarz2::::::The Intrigue has a more sophisticated strut design that features low-and high-speed orifices, deflected disks, and internal springs that permit greater flexibility in tuning damping rates at different wheel speeds. Only the Intrigue's struts use synthetic fluid and provide internal rebound springs to soften the when the struts reach the top of their travel on roller coaster roads. Ride height and hence suspension travel varies with the RegalGS riding the highest and the Grand Prix the lowrider. Front Spring rate Buick GS-131,Intrigue-143..Rear spring rate Buick GS-106-206,Intrigue 114-234.

Magnasteer is common to all "W" bodies; however the use of the splined intermediate shaft in the steering column is Intrigue only.

The Intrigue & Buick GS are different animals.
    Impala doesn't have Magnasteer (On either trim level). Neither Montecarlo or Buick Century. Not sure about Buick Regal. Pontiac Grand Prix offers standard Magnasteer only on GT and GTP trim levels.
    So you have been holding out on me. You do know a lot about why the intrigue rides the way it does over small bumps.
    My understanding is that the regal has rubber mounts on the independent rear suspension assembly.
    I have heard that the grand prix and intrigue's are mounted directly to the body. This may explain the road noise issue that we have all experienced.
    My cousin has a regal and it definitely rides softer and has less road noise than mine.
    The impala may also have its rear suspension mounted directly to the body.
    If anybody noise different please correct me. Perhaps teo knows something.
    If i owned my intrigue i would definitely go with a different premium strut. I think this would probably cure the impact harshness and still give good cornering capability.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Do not know about Intrigue, but the low fuel light/chime at 4 gallons left is consistent with other GM cars. Our cars, 98 Malibu and 2000 Regal, both chime at this mark.

This is my first-hand experience.

I read somewhere, that the cars need some fuel in the tank for cooling the fuel pump. Two gallons, as well as I remember. If this is true, the real slack is two gallons only. Not so much if you are stick in a good highway jam - a very usual matter in dense populated places like our Connecticut...
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    This reminds me our first auto insurance, just months after immigrating.

We bought it from an agent. Next week we received a letter from the insurance company, that some data items are missed and the policy will be canceled if we do not provide them. The missed item was "The marital status of your spouse". :-)

We were very unsure in our English then, as well as with understanding of the local customs. Digged in dictionaries, looking for some secondary sense of the wording. Then called a friend, who immigrated 20 years ago. He gave us an obvious explanation: the letter was generated by computer :-).
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I'm with you on your cause, but I seriously doubt it will do any good. GM truly does have too many divisions and one(or maybe 2) will have to eventually go. At least the decision is not an overnight thing. They are giving us a few more years to buy and some great deals and incentives as well. I am sad to see Olds go. I just hope GM uses what they learned at Olds and applies it to Buick and Pontiac when the next generation W-bodies are introduced. I'm only 26 years old myself and have the potential to buy alot of new cars in my lifetime and thus far have been very pleased with Oldsmobiles and potentially could have bought many of them over the years. Renaming the division REO(or anything else) just wouldn't be the same. BTW, REO reminds me of one of my favorite bands. Hmmm, they aren't hardly recognized by younger people today as well, just like Oldsmobile. How ironic. Good idea though, but I just think that if they were renaming the division, GM could save themselves alot of expense and just give Olds' cars to other divisions.

mrblinky, I'm not sure on your PCS and Trac-off light as I don't have PCS on mine. I do know that if you turn the traction control off(the button can be easily hit when getting in the car) the Trac-off light will stay on and restarting the car resets it as the default mode is on. I'm not sure if turning the traction control off defeats PCS as well or not. You might want to read the manual and see if it says anything. As for the low fuel light, I think it comes on way too early. And 98s also had an annoying chime that sounds every 10 minutes once the low fuel light is on. I think the chime has been eliminated on later models. BTW, a co-worker of mine recently purchased a 2000 GLS with PCS and his was also built 05/2000. He absolutely loves the car. It is Sandstone and has everything but the chrome wheels and gold trim package. Bose, cd changer, spolier, PCS, etc. it's all there.

Teo, 99 was the last year of the "classic" Aurora. There was no 2000 Aurora as the 2001 model went on sale early in 2000.
    With TV ads of very scantily clad bikini girls walking a Brazilian beach and "Girl From Iponema" playing in the background - now there's an ad campaign that would unite the generations!

Oh - the bikini babe could alude sexily to her 'Intrigue' and how she just adores men who don't drive Camrys!!

Enjoy the evening guys!

Ken
    My statement about the "W" body was based on the intermediate shaft/magnasteer application of the Intrigue, Regal GS and the Pontiac GTP.

For you Aurora fans the intermediate shaft is on the 2001..
    The sentence in my post should have read,"if anybody knows diferent, please correct me.
    I've got road noise on my brain.
    etharmon : Just for fun it would be funny to put an ad in the paper for a 2000 Aurora. I wonder how many calls you would get?

mrblinky : I think there always was good press for the new Oldsmobile line up, but there does seem to be more than ever now. While sales were very good this past month, a lot of it has to do will incentives. I really wish Oldsmobile could be saved, but I have pretty much given up. I will still help the cause of people like FATlittle though.

Toronto Auto show starts tomorrow. Unfortunately I am out for town for a few days so I can't go this weekend. I am definitely in next week.
    The pesky little part on the high-tech Intrigue steering system is really a pain-the-butt..

Question----Did installing a new shaft eliminate the front end racket????--or did it eliminate preceived steering slop????

I had one put in the 99 GLS at 23k miles with no improvement in any catagory...

Trivial data::::air cleaner element for 3.5 installed $12.37.------Same operation on the Caddy Northstar $8.84. The Caddy dealer is really missing the boat and it is a stand alone operation. My Olds guy is also a Caddy dealer and I imagine they would want $25.00 for the $8.84 job!!

b4z::::::::My automotive saavy is awesome!!!!!Too bad I can't figure out how to cure the 99 front noise!!!

I called SLP Engineering in Troy, Mich to see if the cat-back exhaust they produce for the Regal GS can be fitted to the 3.5 engine setup. If so, how much?, and how soon?? I need a change of pace; and if I pump some more money into the Intrigue I will stay away from another car.

Buy American to reduce the national debt, shore up social security, improve our balance of trade, and make yourself PROUD!!!!! Everybody have a great day.....
    There is a Oldsmobile product manager in the SUV forums answering questions RE: 2002 Bravada if anyone is interested.
    dindak::::::Write up in the Detroit News yesterday and it was favorable, not overboard,and said it was not as good or as user-friendly as the Acura MDX. They were impressed by the I-6 and said since the engine is 30hp greater than the Explorer V-8 undoubtly sales would be lost since GM is not offering a V-8..The test bunch sure is not well versed since GM will offer a V-8; but at less HP than the I-6..Their comments did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about their honest ability to report the true picture.

The GM Bravada brand mgr. certainly is a short-timer in respect to employment term. Probably has his resume up to date and probably looking at Nissan!!!!
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I know this came up before but it's so far back I doubt I'll find it. Does anyone know a large K & N dealer in the PA, NJ, DE area? My local Pep Boys carry a limited supply of K & N's.

I did notice something that I thought was strange about their filters after looking in the in-store catalog. There is NO listing for Intrigues of any year. I found the number for the AC/Delco filter and cross referenced it with available K & N's. And wouldn't you know? There IS a part number for it (3800 engine)! The only problem is that, as I've said, my store doesn't carry it. Does AutoZone have a larger supply of K & N's? I've read some complain about the price being too high for 1 or 2 miles/gal or 2 or 3 extra horses. But at $40, reusable, and lasting 100k, it's more cost effective any way you look at it to get it than to continue using the paper filter.
    1415: The new steering shaft eliminated the racket for me. There was a great deal of knocking and bumping coming from the front left end. Now it's quiet and I no longer feel the knocking transmitted through the wheel and brake. I have a '99 GL by the way.
    The Impala also has the dreaded intermediate steering shaft...mine had the same Intriguesque symptoms and was replaced last month...seems to be a hot potato item with 2000 model year Impala/Montecarlos...
    You will probably lose a couple of horsepower on the low end with the K&N. But you will gain some on the top end.
    teo::::::too bad Impala has the same infection. Mine just turned over the 36k mark. I solved the potential problem for the next 39k miles by taking a 75k/0 ded warranty for $1025, GM's finest, so everything but brake rotors,pads and tires are not covered. I will either get coverage from TSBs or the Warranty..Cheaper than the sales tax on a new car and should have the buggy running great by the end of the 75K and get to 100k free.

j coleman:::::::That item will be replaced again on the 99 and the struts next under the new warranty.. Believe me the next struts will get the axe again around 70k. Things are looking good!!!!
    As long as GM trains it's staff well and advertises the I-6 properly, convincing people to buy a 6 instead of an 8 should not be hard. With gas prices still pretty high it should actually be pretty easy.