Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo C70

Comments

• wbevansjrwbevansjr Member Posts: 1
    Will a set of golf clubs fit in the trunk of a C70 Convertible ?

Thanks
  • schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    Yes!!!
    Believe it or not, I believe 2 sets of clubs will. This is how. Lisa and I went to Estes Park CO a couple of years back and loaded up the trunk of our coupe. Our regular bags went towards the front of the car and the golf bags go in last. If I remember my convertible trunk placement correctly, the area that houses the top will not interfere with where you are placing your clubs.

The top of the bag should be on the right side of the trunk and is placed in first. Then you can put the base of the bag in on the left side. You should be able to stack one bag on top of the other.

By the way, Lisa and I have cart bags, not your lightweight carry bags, but not your $400 Rodney Dangerfield Cart bag either.
  • jbernie1jbernie1 Member Posts: 6
    I have been researching the C70 quite heavily over the past month. However, I came across the following from Consumer Guide:

"News: Volvo's coupe and convertible were slow movers right out of the box, and demand has since shriveled to almost nothing. Also, the C70s are the only Volvos still using the old 1993 850-series basic design, so they're now quite obsolete and ready for retirement. Late word is that they will be dropped soon, probably after the 2002 model run, with no direct replacement planned."

Has anyone else heard anything about this issue?
    Interesting quote. Evidently not a Volvo fan. If you look at Volvo's history, they tend to bring the coupe in for 3-6 years, then drop it out, and then re-introduce it later on. These cars are made at a racing factory in Sweeden so the supply is not huge although I don't know if you can consider them limited production.
    As for my HT coupe. Love it.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    I heard a while ago that they would be dropping the C70. But, why should that change your mind? If you like it, get it. Just because the interested of the general consumer is limited (mostly due to lack of knowledge of the product), it doesn't mean you should miss out.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,233
    Yes, I, too, have heard the C70's will be discontinued. It's really a shame, but it will make my '99 C70 convertible even more special! They are a relatively low production item. According to Volvo Cars of North America only 3,269 C70 convertibles were sold in Model Year 1999! Don't have the Coupe figures. I've never understood why Volvo doesn't advertise them more. I still get comments from folks who didn't know Volvo even made a convertible. If you're interested, I recommend you try one. Am sure you'll like it, especially with the Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound System. It's awesome. Tmart
    ...and... if you ever need a spare cd magazine TMart knows just where to go to get one
  • darren64darren64 Member Posts: 4
    I just test drove a C70 Conv LT 2001. It has 13000 miles on it and trhe dealer here in DC is asking 36000 (with certification). I have a few questions:

1. Sound system: Is it a good one, I had a hard time telling by driving it. I(t is the standard one not the upgrade, is the upgarde worth the price?
    2. Homelink: Does the 2001 come with this?
    3. Overall impressions: Please provide anything you think would help me. I am getting a little concerned over some of the posts/reviews from some folks abut how often the thing is in the shop.
    4. I enjoyed the test drive a greta deal. It seems a little "rigid" or "tight" is this normal?

Thanks so much, I greatly appreciate any help anyone can proivide.
    I don't have an answer for your questions, but I wanted to chime in on that price. Its pretty high. You might want to pay a visit to the "Real World Trade-In Values" board and run it by them. I mean, even if it has every option other than the stereo, Edmunds comes out with an asking Dealer Certified price of $35,5. And you obviously wouldn't even want to pay that much in order to feel like you got a deal. But the guys on that message board could give you a much better idea of what you should buy it for.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• brigittekbrigittek Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 c70 convertible and i absolutly love it. i enjoy the fact that i don't see myself coming and going with every car i pass.

it handles beautifully and the surround sound is wonderful. i thought that was standard. there is one little problem. you do tend to have a blind spot with the convertible but i don't think that is exclusive with the c70. i bought mine new and it was tight. when i started driving it faster and not so cautiously, it started to loosen up. i think the more miles they have, the looser they get. also, there is nothing like that automatic top. i had a mercedes 560sl and hardly ever put the top down because it wasn't worth the hassel.
    I, too, am unable to answer all your questions, but for 1)the standard stereo, 816, is good, but the Dolby ProLogic Surround, 901 is FANTASTIC. 2) believe the Homelink is/was an option on the LT, standard on the HT. 3) My impressions are good. I have a 99 LT convertible and am very pleased with it. Tmart
  • jtenbuscjtenbusc Member Posts: 7
    Just turned 19k miles on my '01 HT convertible and is making ungodly noises when turning, esp. when parking. Dealer says the turning stops need to be lubed - is this common?

Other than that, what a great ride. BTW, only the C70 coupe is being discontinued - the convertible is still being built.
    $36k does sound high - a local dealer had three (new) 2001 _HT_ convertibles they were trying to move when I was there last month. They had auto trans, surround sound, one even had the fancy-schmancy $1200 wheels and they were only asking around $39k........

Also, my understanding was Homelink was only available on the coupe - something about the lighted visors in the vert don't leave enough room for it? Don't remember the whole story.
    Wow. Well, I just checked the real-world values board where darren posted this car. They are telling him $36K is right about the correct asking price for the car. But to offer $34K. So I guess Edmunds has that one right.

Let us know if you buy it, Darren.

• darren64darren64 Member Posts: 4
    When I posted the price I probably should have been a little clearer about the price. The asking price (no-haggle mind you) is $34,950. The extra $1,000 was/is for the certification process for 6 years, 100K miles. 98% coverage. I asked the dealer yesterday about up-grading the stereo system to the surround sound and he said that it cannot be done at a dealership, they only do it in the factory, because of the hole in the dash the needs to be cut. It was out of detailing yesterday afternoon and going in for the inspection for the certification to be completed sometime today, I am going back for a final test drive today, since I have not signed anything. If all goes well I should have the new car this evening. I will keep you all posted. Before I go are there things I should "keep my eyes open" for, like a squeak/bump/rattle etc that may be a sign of problems? Thanks again and I will let you all know what happens.

Darren

PS Thanks for all the help so far, I greatly appreciate people taking the time to assist me.
  • suemartinsuemartin Member Posts: 1
    I've been seriously looking at the Volvo C70. It's a beautiful car. The Volvo dealer
    where I have been looking has 4 or 5 of them, ranging from $46-$48,000. From reading
    other postings, this seems high. What do you all think???
    Thanks,
    Sue
    Sue, based on the prices, I'm assuming you're looking at the convertible and not the coupe. Apprears to be around MSRP. Would think you should be able to get one for less than sticker. Where is your dealer? Mine in Houston rarely has more than 2 at one time. It's a super car, especially with the upgraded audio system, the SC901 with Dolby Pro-Logic Surround Sound. It's pricey, but worth it. Good luck on your "looking". Hope it turns into a buy. Tmart
    Sue:

I agree with Tmart. I am also assuming that it is not only a convertible but totally loaded. Listening to the guys here, if you want a lower price, you can go for the LowPressure Turbo and not sacrifice anything in performance.
    Good Luck
    Craig
    Okay - got the scoop on the steering stops. They need to be lubed occasionally otherwise they make a terrible sound when turning the wheels all the way left or right. Easy fix.
  • sfwestysfwesty Member Posts: 1
    I am extremely frustrated about the wind noise (serious whistling beyond 50mph) with my C70 HPT Convertible. I had both windows re-worked at least three times each...My dealer tells me that the C70's are just noisy cars. My doors also sqweek way too much, and my dealer also tells me that it is normal (seems like too much plastic)...

I am shocked nobody else on the board here has mentioned the problem -- is this normal?
    My '01 HPT Convertible is rather quiet - I have been very impressed with the lack of wind noise compared to other ragtops.

I did have a high-pitched squeak in the door - the dealer took it apart and found a broken plastic rivet....
  • bigcpabigcpa Member Posts: 6
    Can someone explain why so few C70's were produced with manual transmission? I'm looking for a 98/99/00 coupe with manual transmission and I've come up empty.

Also, can someone explain in a paragraph the major differences in the coupes from 98/99 to the newer ones?
    I've got a '99 LPT and to me it is quiet, for a vert, and thsu far, no door squeak. Don't believe the different engines would have anything to do with wind noise since the body and tops are the same. Sorry, Tmart
    ok. Only thing I can comment on is the door noise. It is my understanding that on the 98 and 99 coupes and convertibles, that Volvo used the door hinges that they used for the Sedans. Obviously, as the coupes have more mass to their doors, there arose problems with some of the hinges on those years.

Only difference on the 98/99 models compared to the new ones that I know of are (aside from the hinges) the fact that I do not believe that the 98's had the side flashers on the front quarterpanels. Sure that there are other differences though as well.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    Following is not an exhaustive comparison, but rather a view from 20,000 feet, so to speak:

98/99/00 have a 4 speed auto transmission and no torque steer if you punch the go pedal; 5-speed auto in the newer C-70 is more "revvy", but does have torque steer under very hard acceleration. I have no experience with the manual transmission with either older or newer C-70s, but have heard complaints of torque steer under hard acceleration.

98/99/00 models are heavier (approx. 3,600 lbs for the coupe); newer C-70 weighs in at approx. 3,300 lbs.

98/99 models had some fit and finish issues; by 00, the fit and finish issues were pretty much resolved. I have a '00 C-70 coupe and have had no issues with fit and finish.

Net, net the C-70 is a great car; I would highly recommend it.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Has Volvo stopped production of the C70 yet?
    Actually, according to the Edmunds data, the '98 also weighed in at just over 3300 lbs. The '99 and '00 models bulked up to 3600. Then back down to 3300 in '01. Go figure.

• dickmorindickmorin Member Posts: 4
    Had a similar problem on my 2000LT at 15,000. Lubed the steering stops and was quiet until 29500. Got a little noisy again and when I brought it in for 30,000 mile service they also changed the sway bar links under warranty. Said they were a little loose. Lube will stop the ratchet noise but suggest you have them check the above also.
    Got my oil changed this weekend. Sales told me that next year will be the last year for the coupe and that they are going to build the new convertible on the S60 platform which is smaller than the coupe platform.
    I thought that was interesting.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    I hear your frustration. I had to order my C70 coupe from the factory in order to get the manual transmission. However, it is well worth the hassle of finding one. I love the feel of driving a stick, and wouldn't have a powerful sports car without one.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    2002 is the last year for the coupe in the US.
    2003 for the Convertible.
    The new convertible might end up on the P1 chassis, which is the next S40.
    My sources say that the convertible is going to end up on the S60 chasis.

Styling hould be interesting either way.
  • cranecrewcranecrew Member Posts: 27
    My wife just took delivery of one yesterday. Loaded to the hilt w/surrond sound & leather.MSRP $40,650. - bought it for $31,200 including Volvo customer loyalty rebate of $1,500. Liked the BMW and the MB also, but just couldn't believe the price on the Volvo. E-bay has 01's with 20K miles for more money!
    Sounds like you got a really good deal. What color? You and your wife will really enjoy the SC901 audio system. It's truly a fantastic system. Use the "mode" button to show "Pro-Logic" in the display. Just remember if passengers are in the back to change it to AC3, otherwise they'll think your rear speakers are shot. It's kinda fun to use the fader to all back and listen to what comes out, compared to the front. Enjoy! Tmart
    Silver out with black leather. 5-spoke 17" wheels.
    We also drove the S60 T-5 with sport package, what a bullet! About the same MSRP on the S60, but no discounts. C70, a deal that we just couldn't say no to. We had a 99 XC, it liked to eat engine oil, tires and sway bar bushings & we never once took it 'off road'. Hope this C70 is different.
    Came close to buying an Audi TT Quattro. Nice handling car but the seats were so uncomfortable just during the test drive that we decided against it.
    of coats of Zaino on it!!
    Ended up with Meguiar's polish and wax. Zaino will be next time. Any thoughts on Ziebart rust proofing this car?
    Unless you have already 'ipdusa.com' for all the aftermarket Volvo stuff. They have silicon wax there that looks like its from 1942 but it's great.

Interesting tidbit....
    The c70 actually has more back seat room then the S60.
  • avolvofanavolvofan Member Posts: 358
    While I do not know what winters are like where you live, I would tend to doubt that Ziebart will measurably increase rust protection on your new C-70. Volvo makes extensive use of galvanizing on the C-70 (hence an 8 year corrosion warranty). Depending on whether any drilling is involved in application of the Ziebart treatment, you could actually be worse off. Hope you enjoy your C-70 - they are great cars. For me, it is a toss-up which I enjoy more: the ProLogic stereo or the comfortable seats.
  • joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    While there used to be justification for the various rust proofing techniques in the past, modern procedures have been so improved in factory rust proofing that most reports that I have read imply (or directly state) that after market rust proofing is a negative factor in protecting our cars in that it might trap moisture or the beginnings of corrosion and prevent it from being removed during routine washing of the undercarriage. I would not do it and think it is a waste of time (not to mention money). The only value they MAY have is their rust through guarantee and most modern cars have a fairly substantial rust through guarantee which have pretty much the same escape clauses that the aftermarket ones have also. In a word, DON'T.
    Your viewpoints on the Ziebart pretty much agree with the talk around the water cooler. I've decided not to Ziebart the C70. Except for VT. where the road salt must be free, most states in the Norhteast seem to be using more calcium chloride treated sand on the roads. Which I hope washes off easier.
    Cranecrew:

Just as a warning....
    I live in Chicago and my in-laws used to have a house in Michigan that we would go out to every weekend. I've 17 inchers on the coupe and found that I would get into a bit of a problem on their TINY hill over the train tracks doing 5 mph. Tended to slide a lot. Look into getting a set of snow tires for sure if you are going to be driving this baby in the snow. I have the Michelin Pilots and I think that they allowed the snow to get packed in the treads pretty easily.

As I do not take the car out that often in the winter, never worried about the snow tires. Now with the XC90 coming out, may not have to (no! will not trade in the coupe! will have to dig into the pockets and splurge).
    I have a Suburban 4X4 & a Jeep Cherokee. Don't think I'll waste the money on the snow tires!
    Well.....

When you put it that way, I guess I'd have to agree with you.
    Us Chicagoans tend to be 1 car people.
  • rd_volvord_volvo Member Posts: 34
    I think all if not most manual c70s are[were]
    custom orders. I have not driven an automatic
    c70 but I really enjoy my c70 stick. I think
    most c70 5-speed owners will keep their cars
    as long as repair and replacement part costs
    do not get out of hand.
    I actually had 7 registered vehicles last year! State Farm Insurance loves me. They're great for all the seasons we have in Maine. WINTER, mud season, black fly season, tourist season, leaf peepers, hunting season, X-mas shopper season. I'm trying to down size.
    I had to give up my Indiana Ahmish horse and cart once I got up here to the big city. I think my Aunt and Uncle are in your frame of mind because they had 5 cars when they used to live in Starks but I think they live in Augusta now and have downsized. Full size pickup, SUV, 2 Sedans and a TR-3. (Chances are they downsized a sedan and a pickup. Can't imagine that they let the TR-3 go).
    In case you didn't know it, maybe you do, Starks is the "HEMP' capital of ME. In fact they just had 'Hempfest' this past weekend. I saw lots of old Volvo's there on the news. Lots of old 'heater - beaters' too!
    when the "kids" were still living at home, I had 5 registered in my name. Amica loved me too!
    All of a sudden I can put things together. Wendy was always the hippie Aunt (and the most together one as far as I could tell). She lived on a dairy farm and those cows were a lot different then the cows in Indiana. A little bit more 'laid back' if you will.
    Also think that Hemp kills the taste buds. That's the only way to explain that 'Moxie' stuff up there.

:)