Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    There are a variety of different rotor sizes available on the W-body cars. I believe that the impala offers the largest front rotors.
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    As I was sitting down for dinner; heard on Speedvision that the ENVOY had won this years race---powered with the new I-6!!! Since I am doing the household chores up North during the winter by @ 6:45pm I have probably had my second Silver Bullet. Tonight I had orange roughy, half of baked potatoe, spinach, and a lettuce salad.

Somebody had better checkout the Speedvision website to confirm this revelation...

teo::::::what's the power in your Chevy???? 3.4 or 3.8???

The brake story will not go away folks..I think the younger guys are driving very pokey because nobody can save the whimp brakes on the Inytrigue.

Gotta break to clean up the dishes, vacuum a little, get some of the white laundry out of the dryer,and clean up today's mail...This winter life up north without the other half is somewhat tedious at times..things get out of hand. Got a 450 mile day on Wednesday and an appt @ 9:30 tomorrow..It's still snowing at 7:40 and my shoving service better wait until it is finished before they do the driveway and patio. Probably have 5" on the flat.

teo::::::see what you are missing!!!!My wife told me it was muggy in Delray today--too bad, so sad!!
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I think GP's have the smallest front rotors at 10.9" and the Intrigues and Impalas have 11.9".

W-body brake thread
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Snow still flies here on the west end of Toronto. Ugg, I think I will have to dig again later tonight.

That article does look grim, but it sounds more like speculation than anything. Companies don't announce the killing off of a division 3 months before they launch an all new vehicle. I would be a little more worried if it were next summer, but I have no worries about this one.

1415: Being 32 years old, I can assure you I am not easy on brakes. Intrigue has the best brakes of any car I have driven aside from my 98 Grand Prix which had the same brakes.
  • intrigue23intrigue23 Member Posts: 3
    Hey, does anyone know a 0-60mph time for a 3.5L Intrigue? Also do any of you know any aftermarket performance goodies available for the Intrigue?
    dindak:::::::8" on the ground @ 9:50 and still coming down--what a bummer; flying out Fri AM for the screwed-up Palm Beach County.

Worst brakes of any car I have ever owned!!!!! I hope Olds isn't thinking about shuttling Olds at this time. They will kill off the stand-alone dealers initially--may be some good opportunities for existing dealers.

Weather up-date it is now raining--disaster..
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Today's Detroit News (www.detnews.com) featured an article in its "Autos" section detailing the effort by Olds to put its ad account up for review. The division is seeking bids from advertising agencies for a new campaign to get the message out about its new brand image. While I worry about Olds' future, I don't think GM would phase out the division at the same time that it is looking at a new division-wide ad campaign. I do think the next two years are critical for Olds. I'll be checking the web regularly tomorrow afternoon!

Olds has been the pilot division for several initiatives, including the effort to let customers order cars over the web. GM could be restructuring Olds with an eye to rolling out similar plans for its other divisions. GM has to be careful that it doesn't set off a frenzy of press speculation that Olds is doomed, which will kill sales and become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

intrigue23: Auto World Weekly recently tested an Intrigue. As I recall, the 0-60 mph time was something like 8.7 seconds.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    According to Edmunds, our host, 2000 Intrigue with 3.5l engine makes 0-60 mph in 7.9 sec:

http://www.edmunds.com/newcars/2000/oldsmobile/intrigue/gl.html#specs

This numbers are good for comparison only, however: for my car (not Intrigue) they vary by a full second or so in different magazines.
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    This morning on CNBC, they announced that GM is going to scuttle the Oldsmobile division. The division had the best looking GM vehicles. Too bad they built them as poorly as the other divisions.
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    CNBC now elaborated on the earlier teaser - GM is expected to scuttle the Oldsmobile line in today's restructuring announcement. SO it hasn't happened yet.
    Hey folks!!!It could be a good day to buy an Olds product--maybe a collectors item in 20 years. Could become a favorite of car thieves for spare parts--never can tell we Intrigue owners could become winners...

Detroit is deep in snow--guessing 12" in driveway and waiting on the removal so I can go play on the snowy roads testing ABS and traction control..
    Too old to go sledding!!!
    Well made it in this morning. Toronto area got about 9-10 inches of the fluffy stuf. Most schools and offices are closed today. Intrigue had no trouble and it only took an extra 10 minutes to get in.

1415: While I sympathize with your brake problems, you can't say that all Intrigues have this problem. Fact is, Intrigue out brakes most if not all cars in it's class and brakes are not even close to a concern for most non 98 Autobahn owners.

grbeck: I really hope they get a good agency to really put some umph in Oldsmobile advertising. I want to see some Maxima-type excitement!
  • limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    Well.....

My 2000 Intrigue is going to be worth big money...someday.

Too bad that Olds didn't have the foresight and advertising moxie that their division sorely needed. For cryin-out-loud, Taurus SELLS and Olds dies on the vine. They had a great looking car that finally had the kinks ironed out of it and it is bye-bye time for a decent car that 'couldn't get any respect'
    See you are housed in Lake Worth, Fl just up the road from Delray..In reading your profile I see you are an ex-Intrigue owner, and your post# 379 contained a little cynicism...Hope you are happy with the Asian product..

I have played golf on several occasions at Doug Fords Lacuna in Lantana with some of the people who work for Toyota's southern distributor. Did GM buy back your Intrigue or did you take the hit?

The Lacuna golf course is a great layout but Ford doesn't maintain it--in fact it is a little ratty.
    It looks like its a done deal. Oldsmobile has nobody to blame but themselves. I guess i should either try to get olds to buy it back ( i have been lax in in pursuing this option), or keep the car to lease end and buy it for $7-8000.
    We don't have classics or future collectibles we have orphans. The intrigue doesn't have the attributes of a future collectible: Popularity
    and rarity are just two. Plus it is a four door.
    The only recent vehicle that i can think of that has collectible status is the '94-96 Impala SS.
    After not driving my car for about eight days i noticed that the brake pedal feels low (meaning i have to push the pedal down close to the floor to get it to stop.) The fluid is fine. Does anybody have any ideas?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/502134.asp

If GM gives the final ax to Olds, here is my prediction:

Alero:: Very likely it will join the ranks of the Chevrolet division and probably will be sold along side the malibu (Remember that both of these models are based on the N-body platform)as a sportier sedan/coupe alternative to the Malibu. Chevy might discontinue the Malibu all together as Olds did with its sibling, the Cutlass. The Alero is sold in Europe and overseas as the Chevrolet Alero. The current Alero will be in place until the Epsilon platform becomes available in a couple of years.

Intrigue:: I see the this model surviving either as a Buick (But it somehow would overlap with the Regal)or as a Saturn alternate model to the L-series. Pontiac is not a likely candidate to adopt it and neither Chevy. If it doesn't find a home the Intrigue might join the ranks of the Packard or Studebaker automobiles.

Aurora:: This premium sedan would probably find a new home under the Buick name (A replacement to the Park Avenue) or under the Cadillac moniker as a lower more agressively priced alternative to the all new Catera due to debut next year. I am sure Buick or Cadillac would love to get their hands on this baby.

Sillouette: This minivan is already archaic when compared with the latest offerings from its main rivals. Good, sturdy powertrain but lousy safety scores. The current GM minivans were designed with Overseas markets in mind, but in Europe its sibling, the Opel Sintra, has already been discontinued since '99. I guess the Olds variant is history as Chevy has the Venture and Pontiac sells it under the Montana name. Unless Buick or Cadillac are interested in the Minivan market, I don't see a new foster home for the Sillouette.

Bravada: The old Bravada (As well as the Blazer, Envoy and Jimmy siblings) are complete duds. The new 2002 Bravada is a 100 light year leap forward in the hot Midsize SUV market. Chevy is getting the Trailblazer and GMC the all new Envoy. I can see the Bravada be taken by either Buick (Altough they are getting the minivan based Rendezvous) or Cadillac to sell it as a sportier and more economical alternative to the huge Escalade full size SUVS.

The GM satellite broadcast is due in about 15 minutes....let's wait and see what happens during the press conference.

A big day in America....U.S. Supreme court decision due and the GM/Olds announcement....couldn't come at a worse time.
    www.thecarconnection.com has good spy photos and more info abouts olds' demise. It might possibly be merged with another division.
    It was nice knowin' ya! Goodbye to America's oldest brand. There's a lot of history being lost today.
  • j_colemanj_coleman Member Posts: 143
    Just saw Wagoner's announcement. Can't believe Olds is dead....
    Believe altough I have a "Bowtie" I am sadden to see the "Rocket" go...hopefully something good will come out of all this...
    Very sad day. Absolutely the wrong thing to do!
    Hopefully they will use their brains and at least keep some of these cars going under other divisions. If they don't I will be a lost GM customer because I don't want a Regal or an Impala (no offence to the guys that drive these cars).
    just watched a beautiful black intrigue on cnn. This is probably the most exposure olds has had in years. To bad.
    I am sure that the Aurora, Intrigue and Alero will find new homes.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    You had to sense something was UP with Olds, no real aggressive advertising campaign, quality control issues, 18% sales drop, DEEP-DEEP discounting.

Boy do I feel really really good, about dissing the Intrigue, guess it just wasn’t meant to be. Wonder what this will do to the prices of new/used Olds?

“Half of Life is Timing” [jgriff]
    I'm not so sure..

I am VERY disappointed.
    Thanks for rubbing salt in a wound. Really low!
    Will you keep your Intrigue after all this?
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    This is the final straw for me. After fighting tooth-and-nail to get GM to buy back my defective 2000 Sierra, now this! I just called my wife and told her she better be happy driving the Intrigue, since she's going to be driving it for a LONG TIME! Resale already was dismal, now will be absolutely terrible. I don't see myself ever purchasing another GM product. With only one exception, I have purchased GM products for the last 23 years. After a disasterous experience with Saturn (50% resale value after 2 years/24,000 miles), the Sierra debacle, and now being told I own a $25,000 orphan, I have finally learned my lesson. BMW and Acura, you stand to profit greatly from this repeatedly spit-upon, 41-year-old, life-long GM customer.
  • isellpotiacisellpotiac Member Posts: 122
    I cannot believe the news, but it is true. My stepfather is a single point Oldsmobile franchise and GM just had a dealer only broadcast and they got the hook. Not to sure what is going to happen with the nameplate of Oldsmobile but I would guess the only "oldsmobile only" design that will survive will be the Aurora. I have sold Oldsmobile in the past and these cars are just as tight with 100,000 miles on them as when they come off the showroom floor. I currently sell GMC and Oldsmobile was supposed to get the redesigned Bravada before we got the the Envoy. I would imagine this would change those plans. I think my stepfather might end up buying the Buick-Pontiac-GMC store that is for sale or buy the Chevy-Caddy-Buick store. These dealerships are in close approximity to his current location and are for sale. He has been in business for over 80 years in the same place and has been an Elite dealership numerous times. I hope GM keeps that 3.5 liter engine that is in the Intrigue, it is much better than the 3.8 pushrod that is in Grand Prix and that engine is one of the best ever built by GM. Since I work at a Pontiac-GMC store we will be getting a broadcast at 12:30 pm EST and I will keep you guys posted. The Cutlass that Oldsmobile dropped (the cousin to the Malibu) was because they only offered it to bridge the gap between the old body style Cutlass until ramp up of the Intrique. I have an uncle in the business who 3 months ago sold his Olds-Pontiac store, I wonder how happy the new owner is?
    Absolutely! I will try and buy another before they are gone. I love the name and the cars. I am very happy with my Intrigue!

Any time frame on this phase out??
    I would imagine at least a year. I wonder if they will even bring the bravada out. It was supposed to start production in January.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Well I guess if Olds is gone, my Intrigue will be the last GM I'll own for quite a while unless another one of their divisions produces something worthwhile in my eyes. Hopefully the Aurora lives on in another name like saturn, I would guess they will time the phase out of Intrigue/Alero with the end of the Olds name. No Arseteks, ribbed vehicles, all gray and amber interiors, bigger vehicles, one step from whitewall tire vehicles, or bench front seats for me.
    According to the GM press release, current GM owners will receive a $1,000 voucher to purchase or lease another Oldsmobile or GM vehicle for that matter. I don't know if this offer also applies to Canadian residents as well.
  • dwgdwg Member Posts: 43
    Well, it's official. I heard the speculation on my way to work this morning and just saw the article on Reuters Business News. So much for my projections.

It is sad. The Olds name has a long and proud history, but apparently the baggage from the Roger Smith era was too much to overcome. I'll be curious to see what GM does with the Olds products over the next several years. Since Olds is to be phased out over a number of years, I doubt that the Olds platforms will be incorporated in other divisions' line ups. Why rebadge an Aurora as a Cadillac when Cadillac is trying to create a new brand image? I've said this before, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the Olds concepts picked up by the Saturn division. Olds and Saturn really have the most in common since the restructuring of Olds toward a younger, more import oriented audience.

$3 billion spent to restructure the brand over the past 5 years or so and all for naught. That's what boggles the mind. Only GM could withstand that kind of hit and keep coming back for more.

I saw in the press release that GM promises to support loyal Olds customers. Since I don't expect much in the way of cash incentives to make up for my now lost resale value, I hope that GM will at least offer a product that is as appealing as the Intrigue. Otherwise, I'm outta here!

dwg

P.S. Jgrief: Don't gloat too much. You got burned on a car and made a fortuitous switch. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • kklotzkklotz Member Posts: 19
    I'm happy to say that I have a 2001 Intrigue GL AND a 2001 Silhouette Premiere. I bought these cars because I had a 1998 Intrigue and a 1997 Silhouette and I was very happy with them. I am truly sorry that Oldsmobile is being discontinued. They have always offered a great package at a reasonable price. As someone recently said, these won't be collector cars, but orphans. I had considered buying these cars after their leases expired, but will not do so now. The resale on the previous cars was bad enough--this latest blow will make them worse. Again, I am not sorry that I have these cars. I enjoy them and they provide a great value for the money.
    will be $1500 towards buy or lease on new Oldsmobile, $1000 towards any GM product. Don't know what will be done for our neighbors up north. The Bravada new body style is going thru as planned. When asked about time frame Gm is saying when demand runs it course is when they will cease. Which I think means when it is fically unsound to produce vehicle is when it will get the hook. The oldest design they have right now is the Intrigue. Everything else has been redesigned since the introduction of this vehicle. I STRONGLY urge any current Olds owner(96 or newer) to take the $1500 rebate apply it towards the subvented lease on the Alero or Bravada, save a ton and not worry about trade in value on a discontinued car. Take advantage of this offer even if you did not want a new Oldsmobile. Do this this month as the $500 savings runs out on Jan. 3rd. I am in the northesat so I do not know if the whole country is getting the extra $500 "Holiday Savings" I have no vested interest in this advice other than the fact my stepfather is one of only 63 stand alone Olds franchises in the country.
  • kc_flynnkc_flynn Member Posts: 45
    Oldsmobile being phased out is a shame. It could've been avoided. No advertisement at all, lack of selection, and a high price that is the same as an Accord V6, Camry V6 and Maxima. Oldsmobile makes handsome cars, but considering the stellar reputation of the three above mentioned cars, why would anyone want to buy an Intrigue for the same to higher price?

Why did the Cutlass disappear two years ago? That was Oldsmobile's bread and butter for years. That was a mistake.

For GM cars, Olds ranks higher in quality than Chevrolet. To me, most Chevys are ugly and they're junk. Read the Cavalier and Malibu posts sometime. Chevys are horror shows.

As someone mentioned in an eariler post, Tauruses sell, why not Olds? Fords are the biggest pieces of crap out on the road. If there's room in the car world for Fords, then there is absolutely PLENTY of room for Oldsmobiles. It's GM's fault. They poorly managed the division. Period.
    Perhaps the Cavalier and Malibu are "Horror Shows" But the Impala is a totally different breed of car in terms of quality, safety and performance.

Proud owner of a '00 Impala LS equipped with the bulletproof 3800 Series II V-6 engine, 12,000 miles and ZERO problems. The new Impala is perhaps the best and most competitive Chevy sedan in the last 30 years, along side the 94-96 Impala "Whale" SS.
    a few years ago is what I will blame this on. They put in an inexperienced brand manager who I think came from Prell. That is not a typo-her expertise was in selling shampoo. The Cutlass was replaced by the Intrigue in the Oldsmobile line-up. I own a Cutlass and love this car. If you factor in rebates with the price of an Intrigue you will find they are cheaper-much cheaper in some cases. Does any one remember the Oldsmobile ad campaign that was "this is not your fathers' Oldsmobile" They have been fighting brand Image for a few years. I sold Oldsmobile when the Alero was introduced and was shown early ideas on the ads they were going to run and they were good, but they were not what I saw on TV 2 months later. I have driven the Alero on a race track and it out performed the Honda. I do not think I will run in to any Honda lovers on this site but if any are out there, I do not wish to have a discussion about Accord vs Alero. The biggest problem with Honda= power steering cavatation(very dangerous) I will miss Oldsmobile but I think is was the weakest child getting kicked out of the house, it could have been any division but GM has put more money in to Olds to redefine themselves as import fighters. GM made no mention of what was going to happen to the 3.5 liter Intrigue engine, only that it will continue to make the engine for the Intrigue.
  • ickesickes Member Posts: 82
    As someone who said this was going to happen, I am still extremely disapointed and angry with GM. This action is not the result of poor products (although noted quality issues are a factor) but poor managment and execution on the part of GM executives. It is inexusable that the company's most competitive products were allowed to flounder in the market like they did. Further, GMs only solution to Olds on going problems was to aimlessly throw money at the division as if the money itself would know how to fix things. Therefore, Olds failure is not only remarkable for the ineptitute of GM managment, but a loss when you think of how else they could have allocated those financial resources.

Needless to say, I won't likly be purchasing an Intrigue any longer. With the announcement that the division is going to be killed off, the poor resale values will get even worse. I expect that Enterprise or other rental fleets GM is associated with will be getting a steady stream of new Olds products between now and 2003-4. Perhaps killing Olds will in turn save Chevrolet, because the fleet market will be saturated so that they can't continue dumping Malibus.

Anyway, do you suppose GM can cram the 3.5l into the Saturn LS?
  • spitaskyspitasky Member Posts: 12
    The next few months would be a really good time to BUY an Intrigue.

1) It is not a *true* orphan, it is similar enough to its sisters that you could probably have it serviced at any Buick or Pontiac dealer. Especially as the 3.5L becomes more popular.

2) The whole product line may shift to another division -- if the same car is sold under a different nameplate, it may not affect resale as much as you think. Especially if the product line moves to Chevy -- your Oldsmobile nameplate will actually look a little better! It is unlikely that GM will throw out the R/D costs on a proven performer.

3) Because of the uncertainty NOW, prices over the next few months will be EASY to negotiate.

It is a gamble, but a new car buyer might just end up ahead in all of this.
    Maybe if they use a shoehorn!
  • mkcomkco Member Posts: 65
    Well, I guess this means there'll be no OSV???

Seriously, this is a sad day. GM gave Olds the toughest-possible task: appeal to "import intenders"...then, didn't give it nearly enough time to achieve the task. As marketing guru Al Trout said: "Minds don't change."

Perhaps if the Intrigue came out perfect from Job One, it would have helped, yielding a lot of positive word of mouth. It NEEDED to be perfect, but didn't come close to that ideal!

Even so, I've really enjoyed my '98 Intrigue the last three years. Recently, I've test-driven a lot of cars (some more vaunted and expensive) and can say it stacks up with the best of them!

R.I.P.
    "They might as well (kill it), the way they're running it," said John Rock, a former Olds general manager.

Well said, Mr. Rock.
    What good would it do to send Olds products to other divisions? Wouldn't that just create conflict and product overlap within the existing division. About the only possibility would be to send the Bravada to Saturn, Buick or Caddilac, but each of those division's are planning crossover SUVs. Maybe send the Intrigue to Saturn, I don't know.

From what I've read on the Web so far, they just plan to let Olds die a slow death, killing off each product as its lifecycle ends. Based upon GMs plan for the Epsilion and Super-Epsillon platforms, all of the current product platforms would be replaced by 2003-05.