Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I think 9899olds was removed for something he said over in another forum.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying your Intrigue as much as I am. Truly a great car. My hope is that the next generation Saturn LS is more like the Intrigue. Buick would do well by also picking up some Oldsmobile cues.
  • htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    Just finished an incredible book, Ghost Soldier by Hampton Sides. This book is athe story of the courage, valour and selflessness of the U. S. Army's 6th Ranger Battalion, and their heroics in rescuing that last 513 survivors of the Bataan death march. Please read the book, and then tell all of us how proud you are to drive your Honda. Htwired in Milwaukee.
  • limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    I believe one2one dug up two part numbers from K&N on the 3.5 engine.

Did he ever explain what the differences were in the two?

Still driving my '00 Blue GLS.
    Lima Delta
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I called up K&N about the two filters. They "claim" they're working on a gasket for the 3.5 Intrigue. The filters will fit, but not having the right size gasket can potentially cause damage to the engine.

What I don't get is why they made a filter kit for the Aurora that has a much lower production than the Intrigue and hasn't been out nearly as long. They've been blowing smoke for months. So don't expect one to be made.
    Was in Toys R Us looking at the "toy" cars yesterday. Came across an Oldsmobile Aurora GTS Hot Wheels car. Figured it would be cool Oldsmobile memorabilia some day so for 98 cents, I picked it up. It sits on my shelf with my CART and F1 dicast models.

Anyone know if there is an Intrigue Hot Wheels car out there?
    How do you request custom decals on that web site? Do you just send the guy an e-mail?
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    I'll try and locate the book the at my local library and work it into my reading schedule. I'm assuming that it is along some patriotic theme, which I do understand where you may be coming from. However it does not really change how the big 3 compare against other companies, and that have learned how to design & manufacture a better mouse trap.

Let us not forget that this is a very global economy, and many American workers are happy to be employed at non-union non-big-3 shops. Plus many of the big-3 stuff are manufacture in our northern & southern neighbors. Yes, a lot of GM products today are better than before, but still about 10-years sub-standard with the rest of the competitors.

The Intrigue was supposed to be GM/Olds import fighter, asked yourself why did it fail. [And it can't all be due to marketing]. Heck Saturn is advertised all over the place, but yet it is struggling as well as many other GM lines.

I like Toyota just as much or more than Honda. GM should be very concerned about Toyota, as they are quickly catching a lot of GM's fallen customers. I know a lot of ex-Cadillac owners that are very happy with Lexus. When was the last time any GM sedans were on the top 3-4 sellers list??

At the time I bought my '98 Intrigue, there was a lot more in the Intrigue package than the de-content Camry. But hind-sight being 20-20, I would have preferred the more dull-bullet-proof smooth Camry, even though they are a dime-a-dozen. It is going to be very interesting to see how the public likes the all new 2001 Camry.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    American cars quality has improved dramatically in the past 5 years (see this). Currently, they fare just like European brands, which are not the average European cars, but the best ones made in the old continent. The Japanese quality is still the best in the market, but the gap is narrowing...
    Your use of the word "sub par" is completely misleading. GM cars are not sub par by definition and using that word implies that GM cars are below average/ crap. Your "experience" is not average and just because you had a bad Intrigue does not mean everyone does. Perhaps someday you will grasp that concept.
    My Intrigue with a list price of $28,000 and at a purchase price of $16,305. is a far better value than your Acura. I took advantage of all of GM's rebates and special promotions including the GM gold card rebate. My recollection is that you paid an incremental $12,000. more for your Acura than I did for my Intrigue. Time will tell, but I am confident that my Intruigue will remain a better value. Ghost Soldiers explains why I try to avoid Japanese products.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    "Ghost Soldiers explains why I try to avoid Japanese products"??? I didn't get it... :^(
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    No die cast Intrigues on any scale. Sorry it appears to be that the Intrigue's shape did not do enough to catch the attention of precision replica die cast toy companies.

In the other hand you can get plenty of Y2K Impalas and Montecarlos in 1/67, 1/43 and 1/18 scales.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    thanks to those who got me the info to post picts. need to scan them in once i reinstall my drivers (hit by a hard drive crash!). I will try to get these up this weekend.
    re-dindak on getting decals: just go to www.firebatscave.com and check out what he has.
    He will do custom orders, but check out my picts when i get them here (soon), as he
    has already created those templates. Nevertheless, he can do almost anything, and they always look OEM!
    OK you managed to get down to $16.3, and this was brand new?? And are you including GM Mastercard rebates also [not everyone has that option available to them].

Are you implying that the Intrigue and other GM cars, can be bought at fire-sale prices, and therefore represent a good value?? Everyone knows about GM huge discounts, and next to nothing financing etc. etc. Heck I saved 5k off the MSRP of my 98 Intrigue, but it was not worth all the headaches of multi shop visits. Nowadays I go in about for routine oil-change and maintenance every 6-months or 7500 miles [that is worth something to me, thank you very much].

I know a guy who did almost the same thing you did, except it was a Malibu. He wait until the second year of its release, paid $100 over invoice, minus his MC rebates. Plus he purchased an extended warranty [which has more than paid for itself]. Point is the car is not worth much today, and it is always requires something semi-major [brakes, struts, AC, CD eats discs.]. He now wishes he would have paid a little more for something else.

IF I could get a brand new fully loaded "trouble-free" 2002 Intrigue for around $16k, I do it in a heartbeat. Seeing that the average price of new cars is around $25k. But if it comes with too many headaches, then I just as soon pay a little more for something that has a better track record.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I have only seen the ones on Ebay.
    Evandro: Please read the book; then you will understand my reluctance to purchase products resulting in profits being generated by Japanese controled corporations. Jgriff: Let me refresh your recollection. Technically, yes my Intrigue was a new vehicle with a full waranty. It had been shown as a display vehicle in the 2000 Milwaukee Auto show, and had 170 miles on odometer when I took delivery. GM cars do represent a better value if a person takes advantage of all availabe rebates. My deal was better then normal, but I had no special connections. I did my homework. As to quality, well I have had one very minor warranty issue, an electrical monitoring chip for braking system ( did not affect braking only computer recording of informmation for pcs system) . Time will tell but as I have said before, I have every intention of keeping Intrigue for another 14 years. By then your Honda will have been recycled.
    Honda rules!!

Toyota rules!!

Nothing from GM is a good value because of "resale" and "subpar" quality issues

My Intrigue was gone more than a year ago but I can't stop discussing it

My experience is the same as everyone elses

Honda rules!
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    htwired - by then his Honda will have been stolen and stripped for parts.
    Are you saying that your Intrigue in 14 years will out last my Acura?? I do say, if it was possible I would take you up on that wager. I've seen the work that my service department does, and my CL will last as long as I want it to, and take a beating to boot.

Granted I would grow tired of it long before that, but it will still be in my garage as my lovely wife has already spoken for it, once I'm ready for my next dream machine. And it is just getting down right too expensive to keep swapping cars out every 4-6 years.

Yes only time will tell, the real question/test is how well will a car hold-up over the long haul and at what cost. Cause we all know that most new cars are easy for the first 5-years. Mercedes will virtually last forever, except it cost a small fortune to maintain them [I know I had a '76 240D]. I have seen many 10-15 year old Camry & Accords on the road, but NOT a lot of Olds Cutlass Surpremes/Ciera and a couple of 88 Royales. Who really know for sure, maybe they all get shipped to S. America to become taxi cabs.

I know a guy with an '88 Camry, with 325k miles on it. Other than needing some minor bumper trim work, it just keeps going and going.

There is a very nice black 442 convertible around my area not sure what year it is, but it is very nice.
    You choose to see what you want to see bud.

1. Sister's ex-boyfriend 1982 Cavalier finally died with 372K a few years ago.

2. Neighbors 1988 LeSabre had 280K on it and is still running fine

3. Dad's 1985 Ford LTD with 277K was sold 3 years ago, still running last time I checked.

That's just off the top of my head. I could probably come up with more. No reason that an Intrigue would not last 14+ years if it was taken care of. Of course, no one will ever make you believe anything could be as good as Honda.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    How come JGriff is still here and not 9899???
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    I would love to hear an answer for the same question.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I am staying out of this one.
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    You can make practically any car last as long as you want it to, Japanese, American or European, unless you live where they use a lot of winter salt. Rust is like cancer and when it gets hold it is a losing battle.

I've seen no evidence to suggest Japanese cars will last any longer than American cars, but there is plenty of evidence that the parts required to keep Japanese cars going will cost you a lot more.

A study I saw a few years ago, I think it was done by the AA, found that Japanese car parts were about %50 more expensive than average, and Totota was the worst at nearly 100%. The comments that I have read in Japanese car forums tend to back that up, as one of the main complaints of older car owners is the "outrageous" cost of parts.

And don't expect your Toyota alternator, starter, radiator core, head gasket, etc to last any longer that a G.M. equivalent.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Everyone's posts are welcome provided of course that they stay within the Membership Agreement.

That said, let me point out that this discussion is not a comparison topic. If anyone wants to start one, please hop over to the Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans folder and fire one up.

And there are many opinion-oriented discussions occurring on our News and Views Board where folks are talking about the Big 3, quality and these other kinds of issues.

Let's let this discussion get back to focusing on the Intrigue and take these recent subjects of debate to a more appropriate venue.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    I tend to stay out of these foriegn versus domestic debates as well as neither side will win. You got some folks that swear by the old 80s mantra that "foriegn is better" then you have some that still sing the union song to their children. I fit somewhere in between as I don't swear by American made products, but I do like to buy US made products when possible. In the case of the Intrigue, it is NOT inferior or sub-par compared to it's competitors. Whoever said that obviously hasn't driven one. It may not be a BMW M5 or a Cadillac STS, but compared to other cars in it's class, I think the Intrigue is an excellent car. Oldsmobiles in general are good cars. I've driven several over the years as my father owned many and I usually got them as hand me downs. My favorite(after the Intrigue of course) was an 89 Ninety-Eight Touring Sedan. Put 125,000 miles on that car and it still ran very well. People talk about cars going 300,000 miles. With proper care and maintenance, I don't see why the Intrigue would not do this. And those cars may be running at 300K, but things have been done to them over time to keep them running. And anyway, who would want to drive the same car 300,000 miles? I love my Intrigue, but I think by then I'd be wanting something new.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Took my first real trip in my Intrigue last weekend. About 750 miles, probably 400 on the freeway at 75-78 (cruise on), 300 on 2-lane back roads at 45-60, and 50 miles around town. Averaged 30.5 which was much better than I expected. Even if my last fill came up short by a gallon (which I doubt), I'd be over 29. Is this a fluke or can I really expect close to 30 on highway driving?
    I know this is the Intrigue forum, but what do you guys think of the 2003 Cadillac CTS? The more I see it, the more I love it. It looks like it's going to be an excellent performer and may just be what I buy in a few years when I replace the Intrigue. All the major mags have done reviews and all are extremely impressed with the car's handling and chassis. MT did mention the engine was just adequate and I have to wonder while Cadillac didn't use the wonderful 3.5 liter V6. After all, it's basically a V6 Northstar. The CTS's 3.2 is rated at 215 horses and 222 lbs-ft of torque. The 3.5 beats the torque number and I'd bet with a less restrictive intake and exhaust(which the CTS's RWD mouting would allow) and a slightly higher compression ratio, they could easily get more out of that engine. Anyway, I'm looking very forward to test driving one next year and even more forward to the potential future high performance versions which are hinted at down the road.
    For what it's worth, Consumer Reports (not exactly one to gush over American cars) calls the Intrigue "one of GM's best sedans" and recommends it in the "family car" category.

Having worked for a Tier 1 supplier for almost 30 years, I can tell you that the superior quality the Japanese have enjoyed for so long (although the gap is narrow compared to 10 years ago) is due primarily to design and attention to detail. In general, car companies run by "car guys" will produce better products than car companies run by bean counters. The Roger Smith era at GM proves that pretty well.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it:-)
    It seems every article I've seen so far sounds like a marketing article more than a review (if you have seen one where they actually drive and measure the performance, let me know). So far though, it looks promising, the 3rd GM vehicle I would consider buying other than the Intrigue and Z06.

2002 Maxima with 260hp, revised tail and a 6-speed manual without significant weight gain (although Altima now has a bigger interior) - I'm waiting to read reviews of that. By 2003, if it is still around, it appears Intrigue power will be average in its class at best. I passed 5 Intrigues on the way home today - too many!!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    You must not have a PCS with the 3.29 gear. My best with my '99 was 29mpg at 78-79 mph.
    With the 3.05 gear 30 mpg should be easily obtainable.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I see alot of Intrigues in my area too. In fact, I see ~6 of them running around between home and work that are silver and either 98 or 99, just like mine.

Furthermore, I saw one today that was a silver GX (no foglights) with a moonroof, and the creepy part, it had a scratch almost exacly where I have one on my car. I would have been worried had I not been sitting in my car at the time.
    lee18 : These days, many of the parts found in a Honda can also be found in a Ford/GM. Assembly plants located in North America all source parts here also and there is lots of overlap between companies. If one of those parts companies makes a dud, it could affect many brands. I remember a seat belt problem that affected Chrysler, Honda and a couple of others a few years ago.

As for foreign vs domestic, it's a silly argument as it's really very model specific. I just don't like it when people tell me foreign or one brand is clearly superior because it's simply not true. Every company/ car has it's problems and downside.
    Here are the picts I promised: the type R badge was bought from www.northernmotorsport.com for 6.95 each. I also have one mounted
    above the left front headlite area on the hood.

The "TwinCam 24V" and "LX5/3.5L" decals are avail. from www.firebatscave.com, for around 7-10 dollars a piece if I remember.
    They were custom made when I got them, and can be made to any color.
    The site owner will also make new custom decals to order. And they
    look OEM. They go on easy too. The LX5/3.5 decal is split across (look close) and placed just behind the headlites, on the sides, these cuts are carried over into the headlite's lense stripes.

Oh, and no, type R doesn't stand for Rice wagon, but here its for Rocket (and If you don't know what has to do with Olds, well...)

• focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Vcjumper: you are right on the money. It is all LIP service, they said the same thing with all previous Cadillac - new and improved. Where are they now? But people fall for it anyway.
    More Hp, less weight. Move on or eat dust.
    In case the picts in post 4242 do not come up (they did for awhile, but do not at the moment, why i do not know), go to:
    www.picturetrail.com and type in ketch for the
    album to see as a guest, then click 'my album"
    Decals look good. I like the LX5/3.5L especially.
    dindak ::: assuming that the guy can get around $13k, and not knowing what he paid for it, that still is about a 50% hit from the MSRP [approx. 26k].

Would you not agree that it is pretty hefty bite in just 2 years ownership?? He needs to keep it for about 14 years, right?

I do agree foreign parts may tend to be more expensive, however I do believe that their failure rates rates, to be better over the long haul. Meaning you can drive them hard and put a lot of miles on them before that start breaking. But, I tend to get gun-shy when a car starts costing me too much money, and dump it.
    Of course the problem with your story is NO ONE pays anywhere close to list for an Intrigue. Same can not be said for Hondas. Apples and oranges.
    I have a 99 with the 3.8. When traveling only highway miles, (70-80 - air on ) I do regularly achieve 30 mpg. I don't drive highway that often. So far for the first 30,000 miles I am averaging 22mpg.

Your mileage may vary.
    dindak ::: I beg to differ with you sir, Toyota & Honda tend to sell for a lot closer to MSRP than GM's do. I'll bet you there are more than a handful of people that do not dicker much when it comes to buying cars, some just simply don't like the 'haggling' process.

Since you are a big Saturn fan, are you willing to go full pop on a fully loaded Saturn L [that is around $24k (US)]?? And what about the upcoming Vue, that you think might fit your growing family needs??

Seems a lot of companies are trying to get off the discount incentive merry-go-round, as it cuts too deeply into the bottom line. In other words, Produce & Price it Right and it will sell itself.

Too many people will walk/run right off the lot or showroom, if they get sticker shock. Do you think that maybe that was one of the problems with selling the Intrigue?? A GLS, MSRP is over 30k, or GL at 26-27. People over on the 2002 Camry board are steaming about a newly designed fully loaded Camry XLE being priced over 30k. How can/could Olds justify pricing/selling an un-proven Intrigue for that amount in past years??

Just trying to inject some view points, from the other side of the fence.
    I'm not sure what you are reading.

If you re-read my post you will see that I was implying that Hondas do sell close to list. GM cars do not. Hence the point... Apples and Oranges.

Never said I was a Saturn fan either. I only hope they become a real import fighting division now that Olds is gone. LS 3.0L and 2.2L engines are very good though.

Only thing you are "injecting" is a lot of hot air.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's just talk about the Intrigue in this discussion. Let's DON'T talk about each other.

See pat Aug 27, 2001 3:28pm for links to places for some of the off-topic conversation that's been occurring here.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • lilbadgelilbadge Member Posts: 2
    I recently had a problem with my 99 Olds intrigue GL - in which I saw a service engine light, and when I pulled the code it said I had a faulty TCC Clutch.

The dealer tells me I need to replace or have rebuilt. For those who don't know thats a lot of of money - and I just rolled out of my Warranty based on having 40.000 miles on it.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Or am I just extremely unlucky?

Also, is there any way to not bend over and take it from the dealer just because i'm 4,00 over the Warranty?
    What engine do you have?

What is the EXACT code you had returned?

What does the dealer say you need to have replace? Cost?
    The overdrive in my 2000 failed sometime before I got it at 22K miles. I never saw a check engine light and didn't even realize I didn't have OD until I started comparing revs in 3 and D (plus thinking that 2900 rpm was too high for 70 mph.) Lucky for me it was a warranty repair and they did the steering shaft at the same time. They replaced probably a dozen parts and had 18 hours of shop time!
    Well got the annual insurance rate for my 99 intrigue GX. $2500. Its gone up $900 for nothing (I have no tickets or accidents since I started driving 13 years ago). Oh well time to shop around!
    GM has come up with new fantastic plastic for use with its vehicle exteriors! Lets put it on all of them!

GM Plastic Announcement

I see quite a few Intrigues around(so I don't understand how they are not selling well) but if there is any car that I see to damn many of it's the Camry. I read somewhere that the Honda Accord is actually outselling the Camry now and I see my share of Accords as well, but I swear you see at least a dozen Camrys in every parking lot. Most of them are in dull colors like grey, white, or that dull green and they have the plastic wheel covers. Don't you just love the fact that no matter how basic of an Intrigue you get, it still comes with alloy wheels and 16" tires. Not to mention a V6, ABS, and other extras. Local dealer is selling all 2001 Oldsmobiles for $44 under invoice as part of their 44th aniversary. And then they are applying the $2000 cash back from Olds on top of that. I crunched some numbers just for the heck of it and a GX model WITH the feature package(remote locks, traction control, cd player, power driver seat, etc) can be had for a bit UNDER $20K. Folks, that is a darn good deal. Your strictly in 4 banger territory if you try for a Camry or Accord at that price and the Intrigue has a better warranty to boot. Maybe this is why folks are seeing alot of them recently.