Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• 63636363 Member Posts: 8
    That's alot of dough for insurance; but there has to be more to the story!!! Insurance is an individual concern and a life style choice..

For the rest of the Intrigue mystery, my feeling is the car is jinxed!!!!

The Intrigue's struts are not prone to squeaky operation; in fact at 26k on the 98 the struts were great, and at 50k on the 99 they are still like new.. Both cars subjected to a heavy foot operation..

The common fault of the front struts is the noise level due to the strut bearing which as far as I know is not a squeaky event..

The transmission problem is out of my area; but probably due to excessive abuse..

The gas mileage is due to the same cause as the transmission failure, pedal to the metal..

The above is just an opinion after 76k miles in two Intrigues which were pushed but not abused..With GM phasing out Olds, there probably isn't too much they will do to help anyone..

As many forum members know, I had my day with the 98 and I was treated well.. The 99 was my Waterloo, and I will never complain..So far it has performed with the best..Having a 0 ded extended warranty through 75k miles I ain't worried about a thing..If the 3.5 blows, call Mr Goodwrench!!!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Are you putting your tranny in 3 or drive?
    We are just starting to here about tranny problems in the intrigue. I guess they have some mileage on them now. Mine was flawlwss as is most of the regulars on this board.
    I imagine you are hard on it.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Just found out tonight a guy I used to work with at Burns Fry (brokerage house now Nesbitt Burns) is missing and presumed dead. His dad was on local TV and is going down to NYC to look for his son. He sat 3 desks from me back in 1993/4. So sad.

jussomeguy : Can't believe what you pay. That's more than double what my premium is at. Your mileage is wrong too. Get that checked out. 3800 is a very fuel efficient V6. Did you buy this car used??
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Man, I haven't had a ticket for a few years now, but in my teens I had so many I lost my license 3 times. I am now 25, male, married, live in Indiana, have full coverage (500,000/250,000 with 250 deductable) on my two cars (99 Intrigue and 01 Civic) and I only pay $900/year.

I must say, I remember paying that much. I was 19, though.
    I never lost my license, but i came close when i was 23. In South Carolina if you get 12 points your license is gone, I had 10.
    My insurance was $2000 a year! This was in 1986.
    The car i was driving was a '85 IROC-Z. Probably had something to do with it. LOL.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Welcome back 6363. Your negativity has been missed.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Hummm, 6363 I guess that means you come full circle, back to where you started hey.

~~ God Bless the U.S.A.
  • mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    Glad your back. BTW, how is the Caddy?
    When I was under 21 by insurance was through the roof and the cars I drove then were older cars, nothing brand new or like new. It went down when I turned 21 and again last year at 25. I've only had one claim that was my fault and that was in 97 and I had a surcharge for that for 3 years which has now dropped off.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I've noticed that some have incredibily low insurance rates. For those that do, do you live in/near an urban area or are you in the suburbs or even furhter?
    My impala is cheaper than my intrigue. I am guessing the crash rating has something to do with that. I think i pay about $500 every 6 months, including the camaro, which has liability only.
    I am with prudential which is about $400-500 less a year than State farm was.
    SC has high insurance rates due to the uneducated idiots we have on our highways.
    The main reason the Intrigue is more is the extra horsepower and the higher cost to fix it/ value of the engine. This is what I was told by my insurance company.

I pay about C$1100/ year or U$750.
    The Intrigue has matured!!!!! Sounds funny; I know, but it is smooth, fast, and reliable..noisy though, but who cares..

Don't get me wrong; please don't go out and buy one based on my previous statement..If everything works then I consider it a success; and I truly believe many people are too fussy..

50k+ with no known ills; it ain't babied either..It does have a nice dry garage when not in use, and has a regular oil change every 2500/3000..

Gets a bath every week at some commerical laundry and is smooooooth on the interstate..

Caddy runs great I guess; nobody has complained; so it starts, stops, cools, and plays music without any hitches..

My insurance is 1200/yr with the Intrigue at unlimited mileage/business use and the Caddy rated as a performance vehicle..no points for the two of us..Full coverage with high deductibles..

Good forum and really hate to see the Intrigue phased out for there is no domestic replacement..I will not go to a 3.8 or a non-domestic brand..So i guess I will drive the current crop longer until someone duplicates the 99 3.5..

The only domestic coming close to my requirements is the Chrysler 300M with the Euro suspension..I can get a loaded one for around 24,500..Don't get huffy because it won't happen until they correct a few boners..
    ....like the unreliable and power robbing transmission?
    300M has a few problems, but it's a nice car. I'd take a 4.0 Aurora over it though.

I think I agree with you that a lot of people are too fussy. I think maybe you have reason to be if you have a U$30k+ car, but when my friend drives a Maxima and complains about every little noise the car makes you start to think maybe some people expect a little to much out of a mass produced car.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    I'm at 18K on my 2000 GL. I'm starting to get the often described clunking/popping sensation. Not too bad, but enough that I know I'm not imagining things which I've read about here.

We all know this was a problem in 98-99 cars. Mine is a 3/2000 build, so it looks like there are some 2000s with this too.

I'm going to leave it alone for several thousand miles more, though. I want it to be good and noticable, so that the technician can't write down "cannot duplicate" when I go for service.

This will be my first warranty repair.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Read this at www.auto.com and heard it on CNN last nite:

"U.S. automakers are donating money, personnel,
    vehicles and blood to assist the relief effort following
    Tuesday's terror attacks. Among the efforts, both GM
    and Ford are making available trucks, vans and sport
    utility vehicles for the disaster recovery efforts."

..Wonder when Toyota/Lexus, Acura/Honda and other non USA makers who have workers here will step up. Nevertheless, glad I drive an American maker's car today, the Intrigue, and that same maker is contributing vehicles and money to the rescue effort now, as opposed to later, unlike some others listed above. God Bless America!
    I find GM/Ford and Chrysler generally do more for charity in general than Honda/Toyota or any other car makers. I don't think I have ever seen Toyota sponsor any charitable event ever. Honda cosponsors some Blue Jay's charities around here but that's about it.

It's nice that GM and Ford are putting in the effort.
    Maybe Bill Gates will step up to the plate. He didn't contribute to charity until he got married.
    I think the GM & Ford will, in a big way.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I've heard my company will donate $1 million to disaster relief, and they will also be matching employee donations dollar for dollar, up to another million.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I've already posted this in a couple of places, but some of you may be interested in this column that appears in today's Chicago Sun-Times. I found it quite powerful: The spirit of America: bowed, but unbroken.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • intrigueguyintrigueguy Member Posts: 9
    I know a few have went with the Pilots but has anyone had any experience with Yoko. I see the AVS Dbs are rated very high.

Discount Tire had Yoko make a tire for them called YK 420 that looks very good but the closest size is 235/55/16. Would that work well on the Intrigue?
    intrigueguy:::::Somewhere I read where the Yoko was a fast wearing/weak sidewalled tire..The pricing as I recall was giveaway..The second set of tires is my last tire buy for any car I own, so it has to be of longwearing quality..

I went the Pilot route for they are round and lack any rumble due to hard spots or cord overlap..I didn't shop around for any bargains for I don't need the grief of crappy tires..The Pilots balanced perfect on the first try which is enough for a celebration..

I am a vibration fanatic for out-of-balance or out-of-round tires drive me crazy. I like stiff suspensions; not the blvd ride--Buick float or the rocking chair motion..

Good Luck in your tire hunt..along the way with 43 cars I have been through the mill on tires.. I avoid General, Uniroyal, and Pirelli..
    The formula that i use to see if a tire will affect the speedometer is:
    225/60R-16 = 225 divided by 25.4mm = 8.8 inches.
    8.8 inches X 60% = 5.3 inches. 5.3 inches X 2 =
    10.6 inches. 10.6 inches + 16 inches = 26.6 inches tall.

235/55R-16= 235 divided by 25.4mm = 9.25 inches.
    9.25inches X 55% = 5.1 inches. 5.1 inches X 2 =
    10.2 inches. 10.2 inches + 16 inches = 26.2 inches tall.

The Yokahomas would be slightly shorter than the Goodyears that are on the car now.
    redline : My wife's company Nesbitt Burns (Bank of Montreal) is matching all donations made by employees. The local firemen were at the mall last night taking donations for the NY firemen's families that are in need. The out pour of support is amazing, even here in Canada. GM had a full page ad in all the papers here this week expressing it's sorry in what happened. A few other companies also did that.

bz4 : I think Bill gives quite a bit these days though.
    He does and he should.
    Did you hear that Microsoft's Flight Simulator had the ability to use the WTC as a target?
    I know this is off topic, but what was beneath the World Trade Center towers? Were there parking decks? The news says there was a mall that connected many of the building and I was just wondering what all was beneath. No one in the news has really said. I hope everyone is showing their support for the country and flying their flags.
    I believe there were 5 levels below the ground floor level. i think there were shops and parking.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    There a was kind of railway or subway or/and ferry interchange station under the towers. Do not know exactly, it was mentioned in converstion. People used it to cross the river to NJ.

Why in conversation? My friend's friend was at this station when the awful happened. It did not took much time to run from here - not like with the people who worked at the 60-ths and 90-ths floors. She was frightened, but absolutely nothing serios.

Several hours passed, though, before she could call her family, and they were very afraid.
    mosaix : Apparently the parent company of mine (Scotiabank) had millions of dollars in gold stored in a vault under the WTC. I think other banks did also. I would think there will be heavy security when they get down there.

b4z : I heard about the new Flight Sim. Apparently it's being taken out. This tragedy has huge effects on just about every industry. It really is going to change the way we live on this continent and it's not for the better. These are very troubled times.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Was there one year ago for a week on CIBC business. There was a multi-level underground mall and subway stop. I don't remember parking but then I never had a car there and I assume there is because of the bomb a few years back. It sure is hard to look at all the digital pictures I took of the place and from the roof now.
  • htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    No one likes Taxes; and we have run this country on the cheap for years. Example having airport security falls under control of airlines and local governments where the person screening baggage gets paid all of $9. per hour. It costs money to do things right, and security is not an area to cut corners. I want a gas tax, a big one. Revenues would finance increased cost of war and security going forward. A gas tax would also discourage unnecessary use of petroleum products. Huge 5000lb SUVs are not neccessary; SUVs exemplify the worst kind of conspicuous consumption. An increased gas tax would not be completely fair; the burdon would fall disproportionately upon those living in rural areas driving long distances; but we waste far to much gasoline. Many more people should be driving sensible vehicles like the Intrigue. I want a higher gas tax to pay for the cost of real security. Lets stop running government on the cheap.
    If the US goes to war, then I would be in favor of increased taxes to fund the war AND FUND THE WAR ONLY. Not to fund a pot of money that politicans can spend. However, I don't think the government should totally fund airports and airlines so they can pay their people more. We the consumers are partly to blame for that because we want dirt cheap airfare and more direct flights. Its a very complex problem with no easy answer, but taxing gasoline is not a solution to the problem. And yes it might drive people out of SUVs, but I'm afraid if we tax gasoline to deter consumption, larger cars like Cadillacs, Intrigues, etc will also be hurt as people will start driving tiny cars with tiny engines. Remember too, while SUVs may be wasteful, US automakers profit heavily from them. If it weren't for the heavy profits GM makes on Suburbans, Tahoes, Escalades, etc, money losing divisions and car lines(i.e. Olds) would have been gone overnight. They've already shortned the phase out time because the division is not profitable. I think including SUVs(which are passenger vehicles) in regular passenger car CAFE standards would be more fair. It would exempt trucks which are still used alot for work, but expensive SUVs which see no more off road than the gravel parking lot at a driving range would have a heavy gas guzzler tax. This might begin to encourage these afflunent buyers to consider something that isn't burdened with a large penalty(i.e. a Cadillac STS which has a 300 hp engine and gets 28 mpg on the highway). And this wouldn't penalize the farmer that has to drive his pick-up truck to bring his crops to market.
    Wow, I'm already at 3000 miles and less than a week under 2 months of ownership of the Intrigue. I've never owned a car that I enjoy driving so much. I guess you could say I'm being wasteful, but sometimes I look for the long way home just to drive the car more. The temps here have dropped in the past few days and last night I was out and it was about 60 and I noticed the car had more pep. Part of it was probably due to the fact that the A/C was off, but I think the humid 80 to 90 temps have had an effect on it. After all, a supercharger is so effective because it blows cool dense air into the engine. Anyway, despite the doom and gloom some here have proclaimed, I'm still very satisfied with my decision. Three things that I wish the Intrigue had. One is more sound deadening material in the doors and floorpan as there is just a tad too much road noise at higher speeds. I also wonder if replacing the Goodyear tires would help this too. Secondly, I wish the car had a few other little extra features like heated outside rearview mirrors(my 89 Oldsmobile had these for goodness sakes), remote fuel door release(again, 89 Olds and several other cars I've owned had this), a trunk ajar warning, and adjustable headlamp delay. Little things like that go a long way and would only enhance the Intrigue's already well equipped feature list. Lastly, power recline and adjustable lumbar support on the front seats would enhance comfort even more. I would say memory seats too, but this feature is typically reserved for luxury cars. Other than those few things, I have nothing to fault with this car.
    Your post will probably be removed as will my response to it as it strays to far off topic.
    Running the government on the cheap? Taxing gas more? These are all statements that run counter to the way our government should be run. First of all we are taxed way too much.
    I am self employed and am creamed by FICA every year. If every American had to do estimated taxes like i do, instead of getting them withheld and then getting a "refund" in May, we would be taxed a lot less than we are now. In fact there would be a genuine tax revolt.
    As far as a increased gas tax, no way. Americans drive SUV's because they were driven in to them by CAFE regulations that made passenger cars incompatible with their lifestyles. SUV's are popular because the whole family and their stuff and the 18 ft ski boat can be hauled by them. When was the last time you saw a passenge car with a trailer hitch down at the local boat ramp. SUV's are the station wagons of our generation. Personally i hate them, but believe that we should not legislate them out of existence.
    Nice to see you are enjoying the car even if it lacks all the goodies desired..The changing of tires would benefit your noise level complaint somewhat and increase the handling factor..The Goodyears will become very noisy as they wear and are prone to rumble as tread disappears..

Caught a stone and starred the windshield..Had to replace the 98 Intrigue windshield also..Replaced the 98 windshield for 110; I imagine this one will run at least twice that amount..

Let's not ask the government to increase our taxes; for they will find a way to finance anything needed..

Less freedoms and more taxes....come on folks..banish the thought....

The closest Olds dealer to me closed his doors this last Friday..Never had bought a car from them; but utilized their service on the 98 Intrigue until I got fed up with them.. The dealer was Drummy Olds and they also carried the Suzuki lineup..Also the article said that Olsen Olds in Livonia had given up the fight.. Bill Lee Olds is where I have had the last six oil changes done and they are not looking too swift long term; but I understand they are looking for an additional franchise..

FoMoCo has suspended production this week due to lack of parts caused by tightened security at the border crossings. A golfing friend spent a couple days in Toronto last week; however the return trip over the Bluewater bridge consumed 6hrs..

We need a quiet week....
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your car so much.We all tend to use these boards to find aid for our problems,but it is good to be reminded that most of us are here because we love cars.I came close to buying one,but I wanted to try a manual transmission this time.But I do think the Intrigue is about the most entertaining car GM makes.I'm a little at a loss why Olds failed-the Intrigue can fool people as being practical while really being a foor-door Camaro for the driver.
    Good luck on the road!
    mosaix : Sounds like you enjoy your car as much as I do. The car isn't perfect, but no car is. The difference is, this car puts a smile on my face like none other ever did. I have 35K on mine now and it's still running strong as ever.

6363 : Boarder crossings are ok for non commercial traffic now. Local Ford and Honda plants were shut down last week due to lack of parts. Commercial traffic is still bogged down from what I hear. What a mess.

merkx : Sometimes I wonder if they had put Oldsmobile badge on the first Intrigues and pushed the name whether things would have been different. Many people still look at my car and say "who makes Intrigue?".
  • lss1lss1 Member Posts: 21
    1999 model built 10/98--3.8 engine
    just had the intermediate drive shaft replaced for the second time--was replaced about 10 months ago at 22 k, now done at 31 k. in addition, dealer replaced the power steering system. drive shaft and power steering system were "worn" and "rusty". about 6 months ago sprang leak in coolant system.

car is coming up on end of waranty--(december)

any advice on getting gm to extend waranty--on affected parts so far? entire car? if so what terms?
    Paid $1025 for GM major guard 6/75 0 ded on the 99 GLS 3.5..Meter shows 50k+; front end is a rattler, but tight..Had ISS replaced around 20k and it may have quieted it down for 100 miles.. Steering is not sloppy--no play..

Have used the warranty once for a flat tire service on my way to the tire shop for the Michelin Pilots..

Any steering problems will eat up money in a hurry, and it could pay off big time..If I had the 3.8 engine I wouldn't bother going the extra expense; but with the 3.5s love for speed it was an easy decision..

Since most owners are in for the long haul it could be a good move and if you decide to sell privately then it is a great sales tool..Believe me..a used Intrigue is not the most popular car..

The intermediate shaft is a part I assume has gone through many engineering changes and will be a money maker for Mr. Goodwrench in the coming years..

Issues concerning the Intrigue are best discussed with your dealer while you are holding an extended warranty policy in your little paw....

Dealers look at those papers and he sees a blank check...
    Your right about the car putting a smile on one's face. I have started turning my cell phone off while driving, not because the safety [non-permissible content removed] say talking and driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, but because I don't want to be bothered with a cell phone call as I actually enjoy putting both hands on the wheel and throwing the car into nice curve while maintaining a decent clip. Can't say that I've had too many cars before that were like that as most were easy to drive with all of two fingers on the wheel.

6363, that is sad to see Olds dealers closing like that. The closest to me is an Olds-GMC-Mitsu dealer so I guess they won't close. It just tees me off to think that a half assed brand like Mitusbishi is still going to be around and Olds is going away. The dealer I purchased the car from is a Chevy-Pontiac-Olds-Buick-GMC shop so I know they will still be around. In fact, one salesman said they were flirting with the idea of trying to pick up Cadillac. Can't comment on the service department at that one as I haven't had to use it.
    mosaix : I try only to use my cell phone if I'm on the highway or on a strait road for a while. Using a cell phone on busy roads is a bit crazy.

Finally took a close look at a 02 Intrigue yesterday. Local lot has 1 in stock. Pathetic. It was a GL with cloth seats. Noticed nothing different from the 00/01 models. Also looked at the 02 Aleros. They had three in stock, all with the new 2.2L Ecotech. List prices seem a bit higher, but maybe that's my imagination.
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Did you notice on the 02 Intrigue if it had higher gas mileage listed? Someone posted recently that the numbers were up about 2 mpg. I wonder if they tweaked the 3.5.
    What was pathetic? The car or the fact he only had one?
    That was me. 20mpg city and 30 mpg hwy. Maybe they are just reflecting actual mpg figure.
    I got 29 mpg in mine and it was rated at 27mpg.
    Didn't look at the l/km mileage. I will check next time and convert to MPG for ya.

Ya.. they only had one Intrigue. Pathetic. You would think a large dealer like this one would have at least 3 or 4. They had about 10 Cavaliers and 8 Impalas.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Saw the first of the TV ads for the new '02 Altima. Very impressive, esp. as the car
    proceded down the road and spins out. They say that they wanted to inject some excitement into a boring market-4dr. mid size cars. Sorry Nissan, Olds was there first, as was Pontiac.

Nevertheless, wish Olds had done ads like this, instead of its "campaign or invisibleness".
    TOTALLY agree with you. The Altima ads are very good and Nissan has totally comeback with good cars and great marketing. Oldsmobile missed a golden opportunity to do the same.

Parked my Intrigue next to an 02 Camry last night. Intrigue is a much better looking car IMO. Camry is better than it was, but I'd take an 02 Altima over a Camry any day
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I haven't seen the ads, but I checked the Altima personally this weekend.

The car is pretty, but it does have its weird details, namely the clustered tail lights and the small segment of the rear side window.

However, it's built with el cheapo materials, such as the hard plastic on the dashboard and the vinyl-like leather.

A 2.5 L4 with 180HP fully loaded stickered at about $24K, while one with the same accessories, but with the 240HP 3.5 V6, about $26K.

I think that the car was well thought out, even though Nissan's owner, Renault, added its not so nice touches to an otherwise promising car.

About the new Camry, also personally checked from up close this weekend, is a better balanced car than the Altima, IMO. Except the for ridiculous pricing: the cheapest V6, with no leather or auto AC, is above $26K. Reasonably equipped and it stickered at over $28K. :^P
    Do you remember the Intrigue ads that were on tv back in 99? The ones with a black car driving down some winding roads and the sound of an engine at full throttle? Those were decent ads except they didn't mention much about what kind of car it is and they didn't air very long. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw an ad specifically for the Intrigue. I'm not overly impressed with the new Altima from what I've seen. I need to check one out up close, but in pictures it just doesn't look right. Looks kind of like a cross between a VW Jetta and a Lexus IS300. Several people over in the Saturn LS forum have driven one and said the interior materials on the new Altima were very cheap looking. As for the power rating, it looks impressive, but considering the Infiniti Q45's questionable power output, it makes you wonder if the Altima will really be that much quicker than the competition. Haven't seen a new Camry on the road yet, but I'm sure in time I will. From the picture I've seen of it, I can do without seeing one for another year. Heck, I've seen enough of the current model to last me for another decade.
    $24K for a fully loaded 4 banger Altima? Yikes. I paid just a bit over that for my fully loaded Intrigue GLS. 26K for the V6 is a bit high as well