Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    There was a plum or purple metallic color available on early 98s. I think it was GM color# 89 but don't hold me to it. I've seen one in that color. That color was also offered on the Alero in 99 and I've seen a few of those in that color. The Sandstone which replaced gold for 2000 is a much better improvement and is not a bad color if you like a light colored car. It's very similar to the light brozemist(or cappucino) offered on the Aurora. The brozemist is also a nice color. I'm partial to dark colors, but I'll admit they are hard to keep clean. But the Intrigue just looks so sharp in a dark color like black or midnight blue with the chrome wheels and spolier on the rear.
    I'm glad someone else remembers GM's "freezer cold" A/Cs of yore. While the Intrigue's A/C cooled very well this past summer(my first summer with the car), nothing cools like the A/C did in my 89 Olds Touring Sedan I had a few years back. That car was also a dark color(dark blue with dark blue leather interior) and it could sit in the hot TN sun all day and when you started it up, within 15 minutes or so, the interior was very comfy. I've said this before, but I just don't think the newer A/C systems cool as well as the old R-12 systems did. Couple that with the fact that newer cars use smaller components for efficiency sake. On the 89 Olds, whenever the A/C was on, the compressor ran. It did not cycle on and off like newer cars.
  • wbhallwbhall Member Posts: 39
    Why did you have to clay-bar a brand new car b4 waxing? I thought clay-bar was to remove old wax and such? Do you want to line that Ruby GL Diamond up against my Crystal Blue Persuasion in the 1/4 mile? LOL
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I've heard it is effective at removing rail dust that can get on new cars in transport.
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    Good site on what clay takes care of. I clayed my new car and was glad I did. In all reality it should only take abt 30-40 minutes for a sedan.

http://www.erazer.com/contamin.htm

• ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    This past summer i was up at Road America race course, during a nearlyy every day 100 degree weekend! The AC worked beyond expectations, providing "gale force" cold quickly, while our friends new Cherokee was like ' a Gerbal blowing through a straw' (we all complained out of ear shot how his car was crampped compared to mine (back seat a joke) and how hot his car stayed.
    The Intrigue stayed cold, this even after running the track itself very agressively for an hour. best AC in any car I have owned. During the weekend, camping at the track, it became our cool off shelter (hot and humid the whole time up there, ugh!).
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    R-12 A/C systems actually produced COLD air. They were much more effective (Also more prone to develop problems) at quickly cooling down very hot car interiors.

R-12 A/C systems were last installed during the 1994 model year as most new cars by 1995 were converted to the current R-134a refrigerant. R-134a is more "Ozone Layer" friendly, the systems are more relible but it churns out COOL air not truly COLD air as the old R-12 systems.

Still, the R134a system on my 2001 Impala LS is extremely efficient on hot and humid 90F+ South Florida summer days. Still, GM and American cars in General have much better A/C systems than comparable Japanese or German cars. German car A/C Systems are not that great on very hot weather.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    teo, thanks for the lesson on ac refrig. !!! Didn't know that. My 95 Caravan had its evaporator core rot out since DC didn't do metallurgy tests on the cores with the new refrig. r134, and so I am out of warr. last year, out of luck and out 800 bucks! First and last DC car. Anyway, thanks for the info again, and your right, in case anyone refutes its- American cars have always had their AC systems rated high in road tests, and esp. long term tests, in general, over other country's makes. In fact again, thats why many American cars are sought in the middle east, like Saudi Arabia et al. and still are. Good point.
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    They don't seem to remove old wax, a strong detergent is best for that, they do remove embedded specs and bumps on the surface very well, including any rail dust and paint overspray that may be on the car after delivery. This sort of junk makes it hard to do a good wax job because excess wax refuses to be buffed away around these specs.

I had my entire car covered with overspray from a building near my workplace being painted with enamel. Their insurance company would have paid to have it removed, but rather than be without my car all day I clayed it. It removed every spec of dried paint easily and with only twenty minutes work. Even on the windows and plastics.

It is not an abrasive process. The material in these bars molecularly bonds with any material on the surface and yanks it off. Using a water lubricant prevents it from bonding to the paint and makes it glide over the surface.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Use "Clay Magic" one of the many great products for this purpose.
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    I agree that newer GM A/C doesn't seem as strong as it used to. My '89 Firebird GTA would actually blow fog out the vents when the humidity was high, and my hands would freeze if the vents were pointed anywhere near them. I haven't had those problems with the Intrigue.
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Imacmil - Yeah, I did say myself that I could not really feel the difference with only the filter. So I don't see the need to reiterate the point. However, there is a difference that I feel when combined with the air box modifications. The combination gave me about +10 HP and torque in certain parts of the curve (at the wheels - that's 12 or 13 at the engine), and maybe it is even better now with the additional modifications to the air box (It's too bad K&N doesn't make an induction system for these cars). And if you look at those curves again (the overall curves starting at 0 mph.) there is a lot of extra area under the curve past 30 mph. Some of what is felt is a better throttle response too. It's not really power related, but the air flow gets moving up to speed under high demand a bit quicker - a little less lag time.

"perception that you have gotten a performance boost" - well if you like to calculate things, then calculate how far a car travels in just 0.10 seconds at 45, 60, or 90 mph. I figure 6.6', 8.8', and 13.2' respectively. Apply whatever average speed you want to the calc. I'm not sure if "perception" is quite the right word when trying to take someone off the line or trying to pass and the difference can be measured by at least a partial car length. And that's just from a simple stupid filter change. Heck, make it 0.05 seconds - I'm still impressed. "Reality" is more appropriate.

All in all, if you really want to improve the performace significantly (without touching the engine), you have to make improvements to the entire air intake, and exhaust, and the K&N filter is the imperative first step. Not only does it give measurable performance gains by itself, but it will work to increase the gains from other modifications. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Well, I've offered some experience with these modifications, and to be honest, I perceive (there's that word again) some effort to diminish or downplay the realized performance gains. You can arm-chair this all you want, but hey - I'm doin' it. The somewhat point/counterpoint nature of this is well - pointless. But I do hope that any others out there that want a boost can benefit from what I've shared.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    from what i read re clay bar with the links, etc.
    All these brand new cars with zero mileage are D.O.A., damaged on arrival. May be they should offer a $10 option to wrap up these cars.
    Thank you for sharing your hands on experience with us!
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I really appreciate your sharing this with us.

BTW, I reckon that half the boost comes from the air intake mods. I don't like the idea of oiling a filter, so I was wondering if cutting a larger hole at the entry of the air box and its exit would improve air flow to the point of getting a few extra horses... What do you think?

TIA
    Evandro - if you check the curves you will see that a lot comes from the filter itself. I did do a run with just the filter in a stock air box. The box mods added more to peak torque but really added the HP power to most of the curve but not peak.

Get the filter if one is available. They come pre oiled from the factory - ready to use. And they last a LONG time. I agree about fear of oiling it right. I plan to maybe just buy one from the factory in a year to replace. Wasteful - yes, but I don't want to risk the car.

I don't know what an Intrige box looks like. If it matches the description of what I did on caddyinfo.com to the Aurora, then maybe that will help you. I have done further mods, and hope to get them on that site in the future with pictures.

The Impala air box (other car) is hopeless. I would not be able to modify that one much. Some lend themselves to improvement better than others.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    SLP produces a $200 Cold Air Package for 3.8l. According to their description, it is good for several W-bodies, including Monte Carlo SS. Probably would also fit Impala LS.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=21039

SLP produces a $200 Cold Air Package for 3.8l. According to their description, it is good for several W-bodies, including Monte Carlo SS. Probably would also fit Impala LS.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=21039

yurakm - thanks, but the 3.8 Impala is the wife's car. I'll leave it alone for now.

I don't see and don't think there is anything for the Intrigue guys. I think they have to modify the existing air box like I've done for the Aurora.

Man, sorry about the spelling on that last post - and probably some others.
    SLP mentions Olds Intrigue in the above description. Do not know if it is a typo, or real aplication.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Wasn't trying to diminish what you or anyone else feels they've gained from any mod. You've supported my main contention, which is that simply changing to the K&N filter is unlikely to result in any significant or even noticeable gain. Airbox, MAF, exhaust mods are a whole different category. And like you say, you're walking the talk and I'm just talking.

Peace.
  • thughthugh Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks, first time poster. I have been reading the list for 1+ year. I currently own a '01 Ruby GLS (8 months). This replaced a '98 Green GL. The '98 was a great car as is the '01. We turned the '98 in with 42K miles with nothing other than some minor problems in the beginning. The '01 may have the alternator glitch, but it is so quick it may be my imagination (?). I have had a rattle in the front end which I suspected may be the steering shaft problem some have experienced. I fiddled around with the front end by pushing on some items to recreate the sound while parked. I narrowed the noise down to the hood latch. I placed a folded cloth under the rubber stops in the vicinity of the hood latch and took a ride over a relatively bumpy road. As solid as a rock. Zero noise! Might help #4991/axr6.

The 3.5 vs. 3.8 debate is interesting. I like both. I was a bit disappointed in the 3.5 until I got used to it. I have the PCS so the gearing is 3.29 and the '98 was 3.05. The 3.8 is noticeably stronger down low but the 3.5 pulls considerably better at anything above 20 mph with the revs up.
    I'm with you on the COLD air from R-12 systems. What I've noticed about R-134a systems is they have to rely on more air flow. I agree with whoever said the Intrigue's A/C would produce gale force wind as it certainly does and that strong airflow is necessary for rapid cool down in hot weather. In my 89 Olds(which had the best A/C of any car I've owned) the fan did not have nearly as much velocity as the Intrigue(and most other newer cars) does, but it still cooled the car very quickly. Most GM cars converted to R-134a for the 1994 model year as did most other manufacturers. MB was the first to use the ozone safe stuff back in 92 with the then redesigned S-class. I've also noticed that most newer cars have smaller A/C components(compressor, condensor, etc) for the sak of space and efficiency and I think this too is why they don't produce really cold air. Think of a heat pump versus gas heat in the winter. Both will warm your home, one just does it with warm air and the other with hot air.
    Does your car have the gold trim package? I have a black 2001 GLS with PCS and it has the gold trim package as well. Just curious if yours is equipped like mine. Glad you like the car, I've got 6000 miles on mine and really enjoy it. Stick around this forum, it gets really active at times.
    yurakm - oops, just missed it. I'd guess that is a box that encloses the cone filter and air is drawn from an existing port that will be evident when the stock box is removed. Looks good. That is sort of what I'm trying to accomplish with my air box mods. There just isn't much of a market for Aurora stuff. I like that box because you are not pulling hot air.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Welcome to the discussion. Sounds like you have a lot of experience with Intrigues.

After 2 years with a 3.8L Grand Prix, I found the 3.5L to be initially a bit of a let down also. Once I got used to it, I realized what an awesome motor it was. Different cars but the same motor experience.
    Driving home tonight, i notice something strange; with over 1100 km now, i have never used the horn yet! With the ford focus wagon i owned previously for over a year, i must have pressed the horn over 200 times in stressful downtown toronto. With the intrigue, i feel more relax in traffic jam and less fatigue overall. Not having to shift gear helps, but being in a better car sure calms you down and actually makes you a better driver.
    5035 2X Intrigue experience by thugh....I told my son who is also on here that if I'm looking for performance, I'll drive my 71 Chevelle SS 454! When I drive my new Intrigue, I'm looking for comfort and gas mileage! (g)
    I guess you could say that I have the best and the worst of both worlds. My Chevelle gets about 10mpg on premium and the Intrigue about 30mpg on regular! (G)
    Oh yeah, my wife likes the air a lot better on the Intrigue. She doesn't like the 4-40 air conditioning on the Chevelle! LOL
  • bartenderbartender Member Posts: 6
    The reason for the claybaring of my new vehicle is the fact that it all ready has over 15000 miles on it. This car is a 85% commuter, and develops a lot of road crime, tar, bugs, etc. The claybar is the first step in performing a "SHOWROOM SHINE" finish! HAHA How about we get on the highway, your blue, my ruby, and the first one from 80mph to 110mph wins!!?? LOL Bartender!!
    No, no, no! Only quarter mile remember! I am a slow 12.9, you can handle that can't you?
    I'm just a old slow guy on the highway! lol
    The Intrigue (or any larger sedan) has a similar effect on me also. I find I am more relaxed in a larger, quieter and more comfortable environment. Let's face it, even the best small cars are noisy and less comfortable. I find that even traffic jams are much more manageable in a larger car. I'm not sure I'm a better driver because of the car though. For me it has more to do with experience and age.

Oil light just came on this morning. Time for another oil change. I'm going to try a place other than a GM dealer this time. The local dealer annoyed me a bit last time I was there so I want to cool off. Hopefully they will have the filter for the 3.5.
    What to people think about that new Mazda 626? I've been reading a lot about it lately and it looks to be a pretty nice midsize sport sedan.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Looks good, but I haven't seen many angles. I'll wait to check it out up close and personally. I like to do this before reading what the magazines have to say. It's amazing how they overlook gross problems in imports...
    The wife and I went down to the local Olds dealer and test drove the Alero and the Intrigue. I was seriously looking at buying the Alero due to the cheaper price but after test driving the Intrigue 2nd, we weren't just a few blocks away and the wife said "I like this car much better". More room and a bigger car feel. The 5 year 60,000 mile warranty was what pushed me to buy another Olds. I also increased the warranty to 100,000 miles which should take me to the end of my 4 year loan on it!

As far as oil changes, even though I bought an Olds, I'm going to continue to go to a local Chevy dealer for oil changes. My wife has a Chevy Venture van that we bought there and the dealership started a quick serve oil change service that is real quick and friendly. After 5 oil changes the 6th one is free. A matter of fact, The Bartender takes his new Intrigue there too!
    The Olds salesman I bought my Intrigue from said that one of the other GM makes will be picking up the Intrigue. Is this BS or possibly a good rumor?
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    Just got back from a trip to the Maine coast (6 1/2 hr. drive). Had the good fortune to get an Intrigue as a rental for the trip. Pleasing to the eye, powerful, smooth and well-handling on the road. Effortless driving with four people and trunk packed to the gills. I was very sorry to hear that this model is in its last year of production. I still can't believe GM is killing off Olds. My Alero coupe will likely be my last GM car. After driving the Intrigue, I would recommend anyone looking to get theirs before this car disappears from the dealerships for good next Fall.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Is the 5yr/60,000m warranty just a current special, or is it going to be that for all the '02 Intrigues?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Hope your recent trip to our scenic area here in coastal Maine was enjoyable. It has been very pretty around here the last few weeks with the colorful foliage but the leaves are about down now.

If you drove 6.5 hours can I assume you live somewhere around Pa or perhaps upstate NY? I drive to Philly area most months in just about that time (in my well loved 2000 Bonneville!)

Best wishes!

Ken
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Mirth - The 5 yr/60,000 mi warranty is good on all new 2002 Olds models. Check out Oldsmobile.com for specifics.

An article today on auto.com said, "General Motors chief economist Paul Ballew said the automaker plans to offer more incentives after Nov 18, targeted at specific vehicles and regions. That makes some people optimistic that sales won't fall as dramatically as others predicted."

Hopefully we will KEEP AMERICA ROLLING!
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    When I bought my Intrigue, I was aware that 134a had the reputation of not being quite as cold as the old R12 systems. (I bought my car in the winter so I couldn't really test the A/C.) But I'd have to say I've never thought the Intrigue doesn't cool down fast enough. It puts out plenty of cold air right away.

The Mazda 626 is worth a look, since it is one of the few 6 cyl. sedans you can buy with a stick shift. If only Olds could have done that. :-( People in the 626 thread seem pretty happy with the performance of their cars.

I'd have to say Mazdas are pretty durable. I've put 260,000 miles on a 1992 Protege as a second car, and it still has the original clutch, pumps, and starter. I'll be selling it this winter, and wouldn't be surprised if the next owner pushes it over 300,000 miles.

But it has a non-functioning R12 air conditioning system, though... which is part of the reason I bought my Intrigue!
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,090
    I had heard all sorts of horror stories about R134 too, to the point where I was about ready to get one of those alternate refrigerants put in to replace the unobtainable (in Canada) R12. (Actually I found out later it can be obtained here but you have to get someone who services commercial refrigeration units to do it on the sly for you; auto A/C places claim its against the law to refill with R12 up here now).

But I got stuck in my Buick Park Avenue on a hot day in June and decided to get it converted to 134. And I was amazed, the thing blows nicely cold. Perhaps not quite as teeth-achingly cold as a perfectly functioning R12 system, but close. Vent temps were about 42 degrees on a 90 degree day. No complaints so far (and there won't be for another few months now!)

A friend has a restored '71 Cutlass and the freon A/C in that thing is just amazing. It will put icicles on your chin, I swear. :)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    mirth - The 5/60 warranty is good on all Oldsmobiles purchased through 10/01/02.

wbhall - Not a chance in hell the Intrigue will be rebranded. I'd be willing to bet my 401(k) on it.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    It has been around in its current form for long enough, 2002 should be it.
  • tmark58tmark58 Member Posts: 4
    axr6,

I have the same problem exactly. Startin is hard, then it stalls 2 minutes after I start moving. 99 GL. I had a starter problem around 35K problems. Wouldn't even crank on occasions.

Question for board. What does the carank sensor do? How easy/difficult is it to replace?
  • tmark58tmark58 Member Posts: 4
    The warranty on the Crankshaft Position sensor is covered under the Standard Warranty which is 3/36000.

Here is something I learned reading the warranty. The emissions warranty is greater for the California Emission regulation and is 3/50,000. The California regulation covers other states in addition to California, like NJ and NY. Never knew that.

My mileage is 41K, so I will press this as a warranty claim.
    That salesman that told you the Intrigue would go to another division is dreaming. More than likely the only current Olds that has a chance at going to another division is the Bravada. The Intrigue would have been up for a redesign in 2003 or 2004 so they will simply drop the car and not have a replacement. This is pretty much the way Olds will go out. Hopefully, some of the Intrigue will rub off on the next generation Buick Regal and Pontiac Grand Prix.

ab348, what year is that Park Avenue that you converted to R-134a? Dumb question anway, if it was old enough to have originally had R-12 then it must be an older model. Which goes back to my point that part of the cooling problem newer cars have is they use smaller components like the compressor. I can tell you for a fact that the compressor on my 89 Olds T-sedan was larger than the one on the Intrigue, ditto on the alternator. That car went over 100K before it ever needed an alternator replaced. A/C was still blowing cold when I sold the car. I'm all for space saving and efficiency, but sometimes I feel there are compromises made for these. Take trucks and SUVs, most still have very cold A/C. With larger space to work with, manufacturers are able to use larger condensors, compressors, and other components. Anyway, all this talk about cold A/C is making me wish for warm weather again.
    Just curious, who in here has the oldest and/or highest mileage Intrigue?
    swagled : Don't like the current 626 at all. What a dud car that is. The new design looks very sleek and from what I have read, will have some decent performance numbers also.

wbhall : The dealer I bought my car from is very good for oil changes, Unfortunately it's 300K kms from here so I can only go if I'm visiting my parents which I'm not doing until Christmas. Local dealer had the nerve to charge me extra for the 3.5L oil filter last time.

isseyvoo : We are considering an 02 Alero for next spring if we decide against a van or SUV. I love the car and with my C$2000 Olds credit and incentives it will be a steal. Current Olds lineup is the best division GM has IMO.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I think one2one had the highest mileage until his accident.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Yep, had a '98 with 80,000 miles (as of July 2001) before some punk graciously made a way out of my payments and being lopsided so I could get a 2001 ;-)