Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Since the Intrigue/Regal/Grand Prix are on the same platform and since aftermarket places sell one strut tower brace for all three, is it safe to assume that I could get an stb from a Pontiac or Buick dealer? The closest Olds dealer from work is too far to get to during lunch and my local dealer's parts dept is closed on Saturdays.

I actually answered my own question as I typed but since others might ask I figured I post it anyway :-)
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    So we have money being spent on a hatchback version of a competent but hardly top-class midsize car, instead of being used to make it world-class...

We have another junk Suzuki product masquerading as a Chevy...

We have a new Caddy being introduced with an engine that has already been declared obsolete...

We have a new engine that sounds suspiciously like the one being discontinued in the Intrigue, and another with a pushrod design (when was the last time someone designed a new pushrod engine?)...

And we have what sounds like a midsize version of the atrociously ugly cladding-ridden Avalanche, which will probably be an equally ugly vehicle.

And people say that vaudeville is dead... obviously not, as long as Zarella is around.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Yes the part will be orderable from any GM dealer.. My dealer gets mine the next day. F Bar kit part number 12456148.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "So we have money being spent on a hatchback version of a competent but hardly top-class midsize (Malibu) car, instead of being used to make it world-class..."

This is in regards to the NEXT generation Malibu, NOT the current one!
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    1way - Welcome to the board. Please tell us more about your first experience with your Intrigue and why you chose to purchase another.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Everybody knows Mr. "1way" story...
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    Used gmpartsdirect.com to get some stuff for my Intrigue. It's a good alternative to the dealer if you are buying something expensive or several small items. I stocked up on cabin air filters, air filters, wiper inserts etc. Cost is about half of what dealer would charge.

The catch?

Shipping is $10 on the first item and 18% on the rest of the order. So if you order a 25 cent screw, you will pay $10.25. You have to order a bunch of stuff to make it worth while. No tax unless you live in NC.

A few examples:

Cabin air filter:
    Dealer: $25+tax Gmpartsdirect $12.52 + 18%

Plastic Lug Nut Cover for wheel:
    Dealer $6 +tax Gmpartsdirect $2.07 + 18%

Wiper inserts
    Dealer: $12.15 + tax Gmpartsdirect $6.26 + 18%

You need to know your part number to order. They will look it up for you if you email them,
    No phone support but you can email them. Just another option for people who feel their dealers charge too much for parts.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    ab348:
    when was the last time someone designed a new pushrod engine?...

--
    Chysler introduced a new pushrod 3.3L V6 to use in their resigned minivans, I think in 1993. I read somewhere this engine has been punched out to 3.8 now. Not sure if it's still using rods, though.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Chrysler's 3.8 is still an OHV in its minivans last time I rented one.
    I think it is a wise approach. Develop a high tech DOHC engine with all the gadgets that appeal to consumers of these engines and develop a newer "Pushrod" for those of us who prefer strong low end torque, neck snapping acceleration and overall engine simplicity over the "Rocket Thrust" acceleration and high revving nature of cammed engines.

Good move. Keep both groups of engine consumers happy and with up-to-date offerings.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    With variable valve timing, the DOHC V6's should do both. The turbo 3.2 is said to have 250 HP@5500 and 260 ft-lbs @1750 (motor trend-september 2001). The pushrod is supposed to have the variable displacement option (run on 3 cylinders).
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    More than that, it's a matter of cost. Higher priced vehicles will get a variable-timing DOHC while lower priced ones will get the on-demand OHV. I think that mini-vans and compact trucks will get mostly the OHV.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    repair costs are much lower for OHV too. The northstars cost near $10000 to replace. That may come down in time.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    perhaps could have been?...
    as it turns out Dodge is taking a RT version of the Intrepid and making a cop car avail.

...imagine me getting pulled over in my Intrigue by an Intrigue! perhpas Olds missed another market oppportuinity?
    Police departments are some of the most conservative buyers imaginable when it comes to change, and they won't use FWD cars. Ford couldn't get them to convert to the Taurus, Chevy failed 3 times to convert them to the Lumina, Tahoe (OK-- RWD, but too clumsy and costly to be a pursuit vehicle), and the Malibu.

The "rep" is that FWD just can't take the curb-hopping abuse that RWD does.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The Chrysler OHV 3.3 liter V6 was introduced in 1990 and was FAR SUPERIOR to the 3.0 liter SOHC Mitsubishi V6 engine they had been using. Ever been behind a Chrysler minivan that smokes? Thats because it has the good old Mitsu V6 engine. They bumped displacement to 3.8 liters in 92 or so and I think both the 3.3 and 3.8 are still available in their minivans. Chrysler's newer engines have been OHC(2.7, 3.2, and 3.5) but they are nothing to write home about. GM's low tech 200hp 3800 V6 will outperform the 225 hp 3.2 liter V6 in the Intrepid and the supercharged 3800 will smoke the so called high performance 253 hp 3.5 liter V6 in the 300M and Intrepid R/T. Heck, the Intrigue's 215 hp engine can hang with that one.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Was in McDonalds drive-thru this morning and motor died. Cranked it up and 10 secs later died again. Cranked it a 3rd time and it started after about 5 secs of cranking. I was panicking at this point, cars in front and back of me.

I revved it a little every couple of secs for fear it would die again but it didn't. So, I dropped it off at the dealer.

I have a 99/3.5 with 17K miles and this has never happened before but I do have the occasional rough start and thought maybe this was another symptom of a worsening problem.

After testing, they said crankshaft sensor was faulty and replaced it. Only time will tell if this cured the problem, not to mention the occasional rough start but I'm hopeful.
    oscarz2 - I had the crankshaft sensor replaced on my '99/3.5 about 10K miles ago. Luckily my car never died, I took it in after it was hesitating and the SES light came on. No hesitating since but I still get the rough start on occasion.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Popped into a local oil change spot and gave my Intrigue a full oil lube and filter and had a new air filter thrown in for good measure. Good deal at C$47 for everything with no coupons. Car was smooth as silk on the highway home! I guess I could have saved $5 and bought an air filter at Canadian Tire, but I always forget about it as I get distracted in the hardware section.

;-)

one2one : Good article! Nice to see GM focusing on cars now. They have the best truck line up in the business, no reason they can do the same with the sedans and coupes!

ketch : I'm glad there aren't any Intrigue cop cars. I don't think it would have sold anyway. Police need more space. Impala seems to be about as small as they will go. The Crown Vics still seem to be the #1 choice though.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Went over the 90,000KM or 50,000 mile mark today on my 99 w/3.5L(Build date 05/99). I have had this car in for something other than oil changes twice (once was for door trim and cigarette lighter door trim, the other for the rough starting) in its lifetime.

It has been smooth (well sort of, except for Toronto's rapidly deteriorating highway surfaces), spirited sailing and I am still on my original brake parts (though I doubt that will stay the case for long!).

I also enduced a "Holy #$@!" from a friend in the passenger seat when I stomped on it to get by some slower moving traffic on the highway tonight and did a 60-90mph (mostly in second gear) run then stuck it in cruise. He was quite impressed as I still am (most people call my car the boat for its largesse)! I may not be able to beat his VR6 when he gets it, but I'll give him a good run.

I'm looking forward to adding a lot more to my current mileage over the next 5 years. It still drives as new.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    There is a lot of police Lumina in New Haven, CT. I work here. Saw several police Impala in New York City.

I believe, however, that Malibu would not big enough for police.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Still can't figure out why GM gave intrigue and regal a shorter wheelbase. Effects rear legroom by more than an inch. Nobody has complained about the legroom in the impala, but i had to pull the front seat way up in the intrigue.
  • thughthugh Member Posts: 9
    My GLS does not have the gold package or the Bose. I believe it has everything else.
    GM did not gave intrigue and regal a shorter wheelbase. They gave Impala more legroom, 2-2.5 years later, adjusting after experience.
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    See http://www.autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=&cat_code=car news&content_code=00544798&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=192877&record=1

Delete the space between car and news in the above address. (Edmunds won't post anything that long).

Lutz loves what GM has done in the land down under. If he can bring the Holden Commador SS stateside, I'll buy one. Go, Bob go!

Impala and grand prix have a one inch longer wheelbase.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Perhaps the reasoning for making the Intrigue's wheelbase shorter was deliberate, kind of like what was done for the Aurora. Giving it a shorter wheelbase (Aurora) was supposed to improve the handling. Possibly that's why the Intrigue has the wheelbase it has. But it would explain why the Impala has that nice comfortable feel on the highway... the longer wheelbase, that is.

It does make one wonder how GM thinks. But after reading that article on Bob Lutz and how nobody liked the new Grand Prix and didn't have the gutz to say so until Lutz spoke up might explain a lot of things at GM.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    After you mentioned the crankshaft sensor didn't cure the rough start on yours, I figured it wouldn't mine either and sure enough, it didn't.

What's your build date? Mine is 4-99. Anyone with a newer Intrigue experience this? I use Chevron 87 octane and always have, minus a few occasions.

Since it never happens when motor is cold (at least on my car), I'm guessing it has something to do with fuel vapor still lingering, air flow, or starvation of either for a moment when starting.
    oscarz2 - My build date is 5-99. I've also read about the rough starting problem on the Aurora and Alero boards as well. Some speculate it has to do with the Passlock system not initializing quickly enough. But last year I tried leaving the key in the "On" position for a few seconds before starting the car, to allow the system to initialize. It still started rough at times. It happens to me pretty infrequently, and it doesn't seem to affect performance once the engine is running, so I don't let it worry me.
    Mine did the rough start/no start thing a lot.
    I could not get any satisfaction from my dealer.

Sometimes if i had not driven the car for several days it would run real rough for about 30 seconds. Enough to shake the car.
  • walterchanwalterchan Member Posts: 61
    Hi, to all of you guys. Since Oldsmoble division is planning to drop out near the future, when will the Oldsmobile Intrigue be the final year of production? Thanks.
    that with slow sales of the Intrigue due to no advertising, dealer relucance to order, and the lousy economy, that production of 2002 models could stop before the end of this year.

My guess would be early 2002, though. GM probably doesn't want to "grinch" all those workers right before Christmas.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    The shorter wheelbase in the Intrigue is not the only reason it outshines the Impala on the road,but it certainly helps.
    I like the Impala a LOT,but it really is no where as fun to drive as an Intrigue,which I think is a beautiful combination of Camaro and mini-van. By that I mean it is really a very practical,useful car that still is a blast to drive.
    i thought the Chev amazingly tight and quiet,but not engaging like the Olds.
    As for the Pontiac,I have to admit that I can't think of a single Pontiac from the last twenty years that didn't strike me as ugly and overstyled.Whereas the Intrigue came out very handsome,really a sharp car.
    Maybe it is too subtly for the typical US consumer,who knows? But car lovers know what it is,and will mourn its loss.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    GM Announces Revised Oldsmobile Product Lifecycle Plans

Detroit - General Motors announced today that its current plan is to end Oldsmobile production with 2004 models. GM previously announced that Oldsmobile products would continue to be produced and sold until the end of their current product lifecycles, or production would end earlier if market demand fell below economically viable levels. Oldsmobile production has remained unprofitable and, therefore, GM's current planning is to end production with the 2004 models. Here are the current product plans:

Product
    Current Plan for Models

Intrigue 2002 - production ends 6/2002*
    Aurora - V6 2002 - production ends 6/2002*
    Aurora - V8 2003 - production ends 5/2003
    Alero 2004 - exact build-out date TBD
    Silhouette 2004 - exact build-out date TBD
    Bravada 2004 - exact build-out date TBD

* As previously announced
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    I copied that post from the Aurora board.

It is not a current release as stated, but it is the last annoncement from GM as far as I know....
    Over in the impala forum i was having a discussion with yurakm about the 4T65E transmission. I thought they were all pretty much the same. It turns out there are 3 variations sold in America.
    The M15 is in the impala and is the weaker version
    (smaller torque convertor). It is also in the minivans, etc.
    The MN3 is stronger and has a bigger torque convertor. It is also used in the large cars like the bonnie and the lesabre.
    The intrigue is the only Wbody to use this version. I am assuming the power of the 3.5L is the reason.
    MN7 is the strongest version and is used only in the supercharged cars. Regal, Grand Prix, Bonnie and Park Avenue. It has a stronger gearbox in addition to the larger torque convertor.
    Interesting stuff. I wonder which version the impala cop car uses. You can see the gm powertrain site if you go to impala and look for post about
    #6180. Look fo yurakm's post.
    If the intrigue 3.5L has a different version of the tranny than the 3800 maybe that it why it is a little slower off the line.

Think about it. The stronger version has a larger torque convertor so it has a lower stall speed.
    Which will make the car come off the line a little slower. OHC's not withstanding.

What do you guys think?
    The police Impala uses the MN7 version of the 4T65E transmission. Still the N/A 3800 Series II V6 in the cop car is unchanged from the civilian version.

the Speed limiter is set to 125MPH where as the civilian car is set to 115MPH.

The power steering pump has an auxiliary cooler as well.

www.gmpowertrain.com
  • lee18lee18 Member Posts: 45
    My 99 Intrigue with 3800 has the MN3, so both 3.5L and 3800 use the same transmission.
    I wonder why GM or Olds sourced a different tranny for the intrigue. Do you think they were going for a different feel? Or do you think it holds up better in performance driving?
    I had heard that the 3.5L had a different tranny than the 3800 when it was first released. I guess it doesn't.
    The M15 has a 245 mm torque convertor and the MN3 has a 258 mm torque convertor. About 1/2" bigger,
    which would lower the stall speed slightly.
    Went to a local auto show this past weekend. Actually, it was more of an expo than an auto show as there were no real show cars there, just a couple of one offs. One was the Chrysler Phaeton which has been there the past 2 or 3 years and the other was a Dodge truck concept. Ford had a 2002 T-bird there, but it was on a turntable so you couldn't get in it. The only luxury cars there were Cadillac, Lexus, Volvo, and Lincoln. Despite the impending phase out, Olds had their full line there. The Intrigue there was a GX in indigo and it was next to a Bravada in the same color. Both looked very close, with the Intrigue slightly darker. The Aurora now has an available in-dash navigation system just like Cadillac offers. As you could imagine, the Olds area was pretty much dead other than a few folks looking at the Bravada and Silhouette. What was really sad though was the Buick display right next to it. Even with two Rendezvous there, I kept asking myself "did GM ax the right division?" Unless things really change at Buick in the next few years, I don't see them helping GM gain any market share. I think Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac(to some degree), and GMC are going to be the big movers in years to come. Of the show, my favorites were the Corvette Z06(truly the stuff dreams are made of), Cadillac STS(still good looking in crimson pearl after all these years), Chrysler 300M and Sebring convertible, GMC Envoy, Ford T-bird, Lexus LS430, and Volvo S60. The new Altima deserves a look, but those taillights are way too "aftermarket" looking. The interior of the Altima was rather odly shaped too. The representative there said the only difference between it and the Maxima(the V6 that is) is that the Maxi has a different muffler and a 6 speed available. Personally, I don't see why anyone would spend more and get the Maxima. Also, looked at the new Camry. The only one there was an LE 4 cylinder so I guess that is pretty representative of how the bulk of them will be sold. Definitely ALOT better looking than the old model, but still nothing special. The $21K model on display had 15" wheels with plastic covers and mouse fur interior trim. Despite looking at all that new machinery, I felt perfectly content getting into my "lowly" Olds Intrigue after the show. Okay, a Z06 or STS sure would have felt better.
    Well after going to the auto show on Saturday, I spent Sunday driving around in the great smokey mountains national park. This was the first time I've visited the park since I had the Intrigue, and I was impressed at how it handled the curves. Several times I would round a corner and come upon someone in a "lesser" car that just couldn't corner as well and I had to break my stride and slow down. I wasn't doing anything at dangerous speeds, just moving at a decent clip and the car had absolutely no problem keeping up with my demands. If ONLY that car was available with a 5 speed. Speaking of, I'm chomping at the bit to see a Cadillac CTS when they go on sale. There wasn't one at the auto show, but the Cadillac brochure I got had some pictures of it and I love the one of the interior with the crisp "instrument like" gauges and the 5 speed manual transmission. When was the last time you saw a Cadillac with a 5 speed?
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    with a mlm product call dry wash n guard. Wow, while the navy blue shows up dirt easily, when it shine, it shines like nothing else.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Seen a few of those new T-birds around. They really do look sharp. As for the Rendezvous, I really like it. It's a bit quirky, but I test drove one and thought it was great. After the Toronto Auto Show I felt the same way. The Intrigue still seems pretty nice to me in spite of all the newer models out there. Nothing weird, just a really nice looking car that drives like a dream.
  • mfd37mfd37 Member Posts: 15
    Well the first 500 miles are history. Had one minor problem with the On-Star system - the status light turned red. I called On-Star, they did the remote diagnostics and will be sending a new antenna to the dealer. I'll get a call when it's ready to install.

Started to install the strobe hide-aways this weekend - turns out ot be quite a job. The headlight modules were the biggest challenge, had to cut the outer casing just to get into the actual reflector area. Put 2 red and 2 clear in the headlights and 2 clear in the taillights, when I add the led bar to the dash, I think this will be very visible when I need to be seen and darn near invisible when I just want to look like a regular vehicle. Had plenty of room to add the siren speaker up under the air dam. Should have everything operational by this time tomorrow.

The wife is starting to get suspicious when I offer to run out for whatever she even hints at needing. The rolling hills of Ohio are a lot of fun in this car. I'll post another update when I get to 1000.
    mfd37 - What are strobe hide-aways? Are you using your Intrigue as an emergency vehicle?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Folks - I'd be interested in hearing stories about people's experiences with their Intrigues (specifically reliability issues). I'm going to be looking at sedans early next year and the Intrigue is on my list because I love my wife's V6 Alero. However, I am going to be keeping this next car for a long time so reliability is a must and I'm cross-shopping very reliable cars like the Maxima and Accord.

oldsman01 - The reason people are buying Maximas over Altima V6's is because currently the Altimas are selling for MORE than Maximas because they're 'new' (go figure). Plus, a lot of people think the Altima interior is shoddy, while the Maxima's is pretty nice.
    mfd37 is volunteer firefighter:

mfd37 Oct 23, 2001 7:40am