Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Does the Intrigue have a separate Daytime Running Lamp Bulb? I am getting an Alero and would love to have Amber DRL instead of white. I noticed at a local autoparts store that the Alero and Intrigue use the same High and low beam bulbs. However, the manual did not list parts for DRL.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    The Intrigue's DRLs are also its turn signal indicators with two sets of contacts, one for regular DRL operation and the second to make them go brighter for flashing signals. Figured this out when one of mine ended up with burnt/melted contacts and would only work as a DRL.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I was looking through the auto show preview for Detroit today and it was very sad seeing Oldsmobile's name missing from the list of manufacturers. I'm sure they will have the present fleet out on display, but I have a feeling it will be shoved into a back corner at the show.
  • ken1776ken1776 Member Posts: 41
    Yes it is! My 01 GP GT has the same problem. had it in for a check and they could find nothing wrong with it. It seems to be compleatly random, some times only once, some times often. If anyone finds the problem let us know on the Grand Prix board. Thanks, Ken
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Anyone know the TSB number for the crankcase sensor replacement? A friends 99 GL is not starting anymore.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Why should they bother with an Olds display?

GM would be best to unplug Olds now and use the cash to upgrade their other brands. The Intrique bombed due to a poor "image" and it's too bad. However, the "mourning period" for Olds is long over and GM has to move on.
    You're right, but as the owner of an Intrigue I marvel on how nice it is and wish there was a new generation Intrigue coming in the next year or two. Still, Oldsmobile is in business for 3 more years so we may see some changes in Aurora and Bravada in the coming year or two.

GM appears to be putting some bucks into Saturn and Buick. Let's hope it pans out some nice cars.
    The next Impala, L-Series, or GP will maybe get some things that were intended for an "Intrigue II". However, I don't see GM making any changes in the Alero, Aurora, or Bravada lines.

I have a Contour and know all about having a car that is misunderstood, but I am over it now.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Buddies 99 GL (3.5 w/44k miles) won't start. he had it towed, but garage said it did start (it was warmer out then) . As I think about this, it doesn't sound like the crankshaft sensor at all. Any experiences like this out there?

p.s. geez, guess I am happy I just have the headlite flickerr problem!
    Actually, I'm just talking about minor changes. The Alero did get a new engine this year though!

Contour base cars weren't very good but I liked the higher end ones a lot. Unfortunately they got expensive when you got a V6. Really miss the Probe's, they were the nicest car Ford made.
  • jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Looks like it's time to visit the dealer. I'll take a run at them for the flicker fix, but seems there are 3 more warranty items to take care of while they have it. Only 11,000 miles on this 2001 GL.

Remember way..... back when the driver's door automatically locks upon exiting without hitting the remote button? It did that at the dealer so they documented it for future record. It's still doing it but I always take my keys now.

The latest electronic glitch is that the trunk will pop open while driving down the street. You can hear the "click" like the remote button has been pushed and when you look out the back window you can see the spoiler bouncing. It's happened at least 3 times in the past 6 weeks and so far hasn't caused much of a problem execept for having to pull over to close it.

The biggest concern is the loud rattle coming from the front driver side. Certain rough city streets really make it sound like it's losing parts up there! Could this be the strut problem?
    GM should bite the bullet and make the Bravada and Olds minivan Buick models for 2003. At the same time, let remaining Olds dealers sell them under the current phase out timetable.

The Aurora could go to Saturn, but then it would have to have plastic body panels, so looks like a "no go". The Intrique's componentry can just be fitted to Impalas, GP's, and Regals. Finally, the Alero would just fade away quietly.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Are you around?
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Actually, I just checked out www.naias.com. Oldsmobile is on the floorplan, so I guess it's going to be there.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I've said before that GM should take what worked well at Olds and apply it to other brands. My moves would be to give Buick the minivan, Saturn the Alero, Cadillac the Bravada and either Buick or Cadillac the Aurora. The Aurora would make a great Park Avenue replacement, but it would also give Cadillac a two pronged entry-level luxury approach(a la Lexus). The Aurora(in V8 form only) would give Caddy a model for those who simply want a smooth luxury car ride and lots of features and the CTS would appeal to those who prefer a more sporting side. Lincoln is planning to get a version of the Explorer so the Bravada would naturally feel right at home in the Cadillac fold.
    Local auto show here last fall had all five models on display. I also noticed while watching the Citrus Bowl New Year's Day that GM was one of the sponsors and it looked like they had a Bravada sitting on the side of the field near the endzone. Also, noticed a big "Oldsmobile" banner hanging on one of the walls in front of the stands. Interesting that GM still pushes the brand at events like this when they have other newer models they are trying to promote. Unless Lutz has been listening to us afterall:)
    The Intrigue uses the turn signal lamps for DRLs while the Alero uses the actual headlamps at a lower level.
  • tdartdar Member Posts: 4
    I just got a 1999 intrigue and love it except for the rear speakers. I would like to change them but I can't figure out how to remove the old ones! Anyone done this and care to share the secret.

Thanks for your help
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I'm around. What's up?
    It is a pain in the butt, you basically have to remove the rear deck before you can remove the speakers. Did you change the front 5.25" drivers yet? I found that made a bigger difference, especially since I prefer the bulk of the sound coming from in front of me rather than from behind me(I don't listen to my home stereo facing away from it if I can help it!)
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Funny that GM would bother, but they show up on the floor plan between GM Corporate and Saturn.

http://www.naias.com/showtalk/floorplans.pdf

GM must be hurting, they cut rates paid for contract employees by 7%, announced today. Doesn't sound like the employees will be getting many perks this year either.

Got the front brace from GPstore and just like you said, presses on the power steering line creating a whine. Raised the brackets as much as possible with a couple of washers but not enough to eliminate the whine. Moreover, it presses down on top of my coolant tank not to mention I had to cut some of the plastic trim off the coolant-tank mount to allow for the bracket. Was that your case also? What's your build date? If the bar was just a tad thinner it would be a perfect fit.

Not to worry, I'm a die hard and will have some of the bar grinded down a bit to allow for the coolant tank and power steering line. Although the integrity will be slightly compromised, It's not a safety issue and chromoly is very strong. I don't believe the force on the bar will be enough to be a factor, even in the most severe cornering.

I e-mailed GPstore and the guy replied that there should be no problem grinding it. Wall thickness is .058" except the last 1.5" of either side is solid with a tube adapter that has been welded to the end of the bar. Should have the rear brace from SLP this week.
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Hey: Vcjumper, what front speakers did you replaced it with? both woofer and tweeter? Did you have to remove the door panel to access the woofer and tweeter. Were you able to retain steering wheel control? With the cd changer in your trunk, i suppose you had to run wire along the baseboard. i intended to install my sony units and is wondering how best to go about it.
    No problem with the coolant tank. I'm not sure what you had to break off. I notice that it sits right on top of it but otherwise haven't had a problem there. Build date on my 2000GX is 11/99. Before you grind down the bar, you may want to get some insulation material and wrap the bar. I purchased some sound insulation tape from soundproofing.org and wrapped the bar with it. It works for awhile but the stuff compresses. I have to add some each week. I'll eventually get enough to solve the problem altogether I believe. It's not perfect but better than grinding the bar I think.

Anyway, have you noticed a big improvement? I think I notice the strut tower braces on bumps more than in cornering but like I said it's hard to tell cause I put the new sway bars on at the same time. She does corner more crisply than ever though.

Was on a vacation over New Year's and rented an Escape. I was pretty impressed. Good headroom (although I'm spoiled by the legroom in the Intrigue). Good power. It is definitely in my next list. Switching into something other than my Intrigue would be difficult, so I think something radically different like an SUV would help soothe the loss of the Intrigue.

I was offered invoice for a 2002 Maxima GLE. Don't fit as well in it as the Intrigue. Still, lot of money. But it was my second choice before the Intrigue (mostly for financial reasons). I'll accept any fatherly advice from any of my elders here about what to do. I've made double, triple and quadruple payments on my Intrigue and now only owe $6K on it. I could pay it off by spring. But I'm so concerned about long term problems. Every day she gets more creaky and I can't believe we're still having the alternator problems. I think my "redesigned" one must've been a fluke because I haven't had any problems since it was fixed. Something that has occurred to me is that maybe the dealers that have replaced it were unethical and simply swapped an old model? I mean, it just seems so unlikely that the redesigned alternator seems to have completely resolved my problem and others who've had it done it hasn't.

Anyway Oscarz, let me know when you wanna go cornering in the canyon! Smile.
    Focus, replace the unit first. You may be satisfied and decide not to bother with the speakers, unless your a super-thumper. To my knowledge, steering wheel controls will not work with any aftermarket unit unless they've recently come out with an adapter.

jg28, did you get the "next-level" brace or when did you buy yours? Otherwise, maybe your coolant-tank mount is a bit different. I have a 99 (4-99).

I noticed crisper cornering and it seems like there wasn't as much body roll but it may have been my imagination. We'll see how the rear one adds to it. I kept the bar on for a day but the noise drove me batty so I removed it. Insulation will only press the line further, so I'm gonna grind the bar. If worse comes to worse, I'll get a thinner, measured bar from a metal shop to connect the brackets. This is experimental anyway so I don't mind.

My alternator was replaced about 6 months ago (for the 2nd time) with 10464395 and I haven't noticed any dimming or flicker since (knock on wood). If you've noticed, new Intrigues are experiencing the dimming along with GPs. Just have to wait on GM engineers.
    On another note, my car is a creeky rattle bucket too but only when it's below 68 or so and there is no passenger. With someone in the other seat, it settles down quite a bit. When it's warm out (Arizona by the way), which is more than half the year, it's much better minus a couple of plastic radio or a/c buttons making noise over rough roads.

The car is very solid, it's some of the interior (temperature-sensitive-plastic-tin) components that are not all tight fitting that makes it sound/feel like it's not sometimes. As much as it annoys me at times, I still want to keep this car. Too many pluses outweigh the negatives.
    Soundgate makes a steering wheel interface adapter for Sony units that use certain remotes, dunno if your Sony unit is one of them. Look for it on Crutchfield.

I have a JL Audio sub, Polk Audio front speakers, and Kenwood rears, I have a GX so no steering wheel controls.
    When it is cold I have rattles coming from the little plastic pieces on the front doors that hold the tweeters on the 6 speaker systems and are just hollow on the 4 speaker systems. Thinking of applying some sound deadener for a couple bucks to the back of them and maybe the plastic that covers the A-pillars as well.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Sounds like a one big crying game here on the Ol' Intrigue thread. Seems like everyone is crying about this-n-that, and GM can't seem to find a good solid permanent fix.

Sorry guys, not trying to be a jerk or rain on your parade, but that seems to be all I have been reading about for the last couple of months.

Question is, is it going to get better or worse ??

jg28 :: I would jump on the Max if you can swing it, sure is a sweet machine, solid engine. Most likely does not have any alternator problems. I know dealers appear to be giving cars away these day, but its hard to get much better than invoice on most any car.
    Back from the lurk bud? You really have to get over your Intrigue some day. You must really get a kick from dumping on people.

I remember a while back you didn't like the Maxima, said it wasn't that reliable. You've changed you mind??

How are things with the magical Honda?
    Friend of mine has lots of trouble with his type-S. The red is chipping away partially from the S!

During the holidays enroute to work, had a nice run and cruise at 100mph on the 401 with a Maxima and E-Class. Wish traffic was that light every rush hour.
    If your going the Nissan route, skip the "getting outdated" Maxima and go with the new Altima 3.5. I'm still not hot on it's styling, but in 3.5 trim it's a stellar performer. But if I were in your shoes, I'd pay the Intrigue off and start banking what I was paying each month until either I got tired of it or it laid down and died.
    Had a punk in a mustard yellow Integra try to outrun me merging onto the freeway yesterday. He was behind me on the onramp riding my bumber and when the ramp merged into the freeway, he immediately pulls over in the other lane and tries to get past me. I just mashed the gas and kicked it down a gear and watched the tach sweep past the 3500 rpm mark and then he was in my rearview mirror again. Silly kids never learn.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Believe me I'm over the Intrigue, just like to see how everyone's Trig is holding over the long haul.

I like the Max, can't really say if it is or is not reliable. However my '93 Infinity G20 was one of my best car experiences ever. And I think Nissan is making great strides in their line-up, however the Altima interior was a huge disappointment.

And as for my Acura CL, after 19 months and 20k miles, NO complaints, Thank you very much for asking. I take it in for oil-change and maintenance every 6-months, NO problems ( just like it is suppose to be). A couple of years down the line I may get another Acura, as the wife really wants the CL at her disposal full-time.

It shall be interesting to see how the upcoming '03 Accord stacks up against the rest of the field, especially since the current model is still holds the number one slot on C&D 10-Best.
    You will never be over it. Your posting here dumping on our cars two years after you sold yours is proof enough.

I'm sure the new Accord will be perfect, just like your car is. All Honda's are perfect. My next sedan will be an Accord for sure. Number one sedan in American and the most stolen to boot!

Honda rules!!!!!!!!!!!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I don't have a problem with you posting your intrigue experiences on this thread. I do have problem with a post that starts off, "sounds like one big crying game here....".
    Do you really think a post like that will bring a positive response from us?
    Your post #5642 was fine.
    Your post #5637 was childish and pointless.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    Yeah, for all our carping lately, that 3500+ RPM "blast" is still where the Intrigue really shines.

I truly hate following slow people up the ramps now. When someone just takes his time merging in, sometimes the flow of traffic has backed up behind him. And now *I* don't have room to get in and follow.

But since the Intrigue is already rolling along at around 45MPH... it's a perfect time to just MASH IT and hop out in front, since the slowpoke has just "made" a lot of space in front of himself.

Ahhhhh..... the open road!
    Unfortunately my car has only been running a minute or two by the time I reach the highway ramp both from home and work, so I don't get to jump on it at those times as often as I'd like with the motor/oil still cold. Trying to take off ramps at MACH 1 is always fun though.
    Well, the temperatures have come back up in the past week and the flicker is completely gone. Clearly, it is a cold weather issue (for my car anyway). I even tried to turn as many power sucking things as I could to get a flicker on Friday night and I go nothing. Wonder why the cold does this to the car even after it's been running for an hour.

Like I said before, I will have the alternator replaced at some point, but I will wait till the end of the warranty to do it. Car is running well otherwise.

----------

General question : What kind of replacement wiper blade are people using and how do you like them? I need to get some as the GM ones that came with the car need replacing.
    Check out the Intrigue "Final 500" model. Anyone know anything about this?

Bel Air was disappointing. Hope GM doesn't make it.

http://autoweek.com/specials/2002_detroit/

• evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I've been using Amco as replacement blades. Are the OEM ones much more expensive or any better?

TIA
    Yes, I got the next level from gtpstore.com As far as I can tell, you'd have to grind at least half if not more to get out of the way of the power steering pump hose. If I were you, I'd send it back and get the cheaper one for the front (available at most GM dealers). I'm not ready to do that because I hope to find an alternate solution.

The GLE is gone now. I don't know who told me to get the Altima but I would never do it right now. I'm not about to pay MSRP for a car. Plus, I think the Maxima has better build quality and higher grade material materials. It's not exactly aging. It was redesigned as recently as 2000 and the 2002s have been tweaked to make it look a lot better in my opinion. I especially think the front end looks good now and I never really had a problem with the back although I don't particularly care for the clear taillights. But there are things about the Intrigue exterior styling I don't like either. Plus, when I test drove the Altima I wasn't all that amazed. It's really not any better than my Intrigue. My GX is just about as fast with the K&N and it's quieter too.

They do have an SE in dark blue and one in maroon which I may yet buy. I could get an SE for a lot cheaper and still have the loan be under 20K cause I'd get about 4000 net for trading in my Intrigue.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Well, at least we know how the Aurora's 17" wheels look on the intrigue. Not sure if it is a big improvement.
    I can't figure out what color the car is. It doesn't look black. At least not on my monitor.
    Almost looks like it has some brown or maroon in it.
    Don't like the wing either.
  • tdartdar Member Posts: 4
    I changed the front speakers in the intrigue today. New ones are Boston FX5's....Big difference from the delco's. Will change the backs soon. my local stereo store will provide the labor for $30 so it's not worth it for me to do the work...you have to remove the rear seat and the rear deck. I was very impressed with how much of a diference this made!
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    The Philly NAIAS is finally an "A" show so it's running concurrently with the L.A. Auto Show. I plan on going this Thursday. Hopefully they'll have it so I can drool reverentially.

However, it makes me wonder. Why is GM spending any money for an Oldsmobile display when the purpose of the auto show is to create excitement for its vehicles, vehicles that it's anybody's guess how long will exist? Why temp the public with cars that there's no way anyone can buy because the division will be extinct? Or, is it Lutz's way of seeing how much interest there still is in the division, to see if it should remain open? Wishfull thinking :-(
    I'll see if I can get the power steering line altered/changed first. I spoke to a guy who gave me the name of a place around here that specializes in that. I'll let you know what I come up with.

If no luck that route, I'll check with a metal shop to see if they can connect a thinner bar to the brackets.

Grinding will be a last resort. Even so, it would only be about a quarter of the bar in my case. That's with a couple of washers under the brackets.
    I recommended the Altima, but I do agree the interior is a big let down. The Maxi does have a better interior and is being discounted big time, but my beef with the Maxi is it's beam axle rear suspension. Nearly all cars in this price range now have IRS(they have for years) and to me I'm not going to pay over $20K for a sedan without IRS in 2002. Pay the Intrigue off and save those bucks toward a Cadillac CTS. Wait until 2004 and the CTS is supposed to have a new 3.6 liter V6 and also the possibility of an M3 style performance version.
    Don't hear too many people here crying about their Intrigues except maybe to mourn the passing of Olds:) I've got 10,000 miles on my 2001 GLS and have had only a couple of minor problems. The intermittant flicker is one and I plan to have it addressed when I take the car in again. For me, the Intrigue has far more positives to offset the negatives. 10K and nearly 6 months since the purchase if I had to do it again, I certainly would.
    Awoke to 4 inches of wet snow today so I really got to test the ABS, traction control, and even the PCS. The traction control is what impressed me the most. The car literally went like it had AWD(now that would have been a neat Intrigue option) and the system worked very smoothly. I tried to fishtail the car several times and the PCS kicked in and tried it's hardest to keep the car's rear end planted. Obviously it cannot overcome the laws of snow physics and the car did skid some, but as soon as it got some traction the rear end stayed in line. I'd be curious to hear how our Intrigue owners in the snow belt like the winter performance as I was truly impressed. I really like how the traction control not only reduces engine output but will apply the brakes individually to a spinning wheel. I did an standing still acceleration test with the TC off and on and the difference is night and day. Without it you spin the wheels and have to modulate the acceleration yourself, with it on you simply press the gas and let the EBCM do the rest. Oh and the heated seats kept me nice and toasty while having all this fun:) Traction control and heated seats are two features I've never had before and will not do without on future cars. The PCS system is nice too and in rain or simply in extremely aggressive driving it would be more effective than in snow, but had I truly had to swerve very quickly in the snow, it possibly would have helped to keep the car in control. The only bad thing is that now unless there is ice on the roads, I have no excuse for not showing up at work when it snows:)