Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    It only takes a few test drives to appreciate what Intrigue is. I test drove a 2002 Maxima GLE and was ready to be astounded. But it left me feeling so-so about it. It has dangerous amounts of power and the build quality (except for the pop-up armrest) was flawless. Also tested the Altima 3.5 SE again. They're both good cars but it only helped me see how solid Intrigue is as well. Also tested a 2001 3.5 Aurora. Build quality definitely lacks there but it was like an upscale Intrigue with less driver room (especially headroom) and they want $27K for a 2001 Aurora. That's way too much in my opinion.

I don't like the badging of the final 500 Intrigue. The center of the wheels make it look like a Chevy from a distance and it's trying to hearken back to a heritage that they left in the dust long ago. That cursiveish Oldsmobile font doesn't match Intrigue even more so than the font from the 70s. I wouldn't mine INTRIGUE on the seats but not that big Oldsmobile font on em.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I think all of the final's are GLSs with Sun & Sound, etc. Don't know if Sunroof is standard, but I think PCS is.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    Bose and a Sunroof,,,
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Thanks for the pics, I like the Aurora 4.0 wheels on the Final 500 Intrigue and also the "Since 1897" insignia. I did notice the rear of the final 500 Intrigue does not have the Oldsmobile badge, not good IMO. It should have the badge as well as the "final 500" decal. Part of me would like one, but since the upgrades are mostly cosmetic, I can live happily with my 2001 GLS. Now if they put the OSV supercharged 3.5 liter engine in the final 500, I'd be at my Olds dealer with checkbook tomorrow morning.
    That sounds like a pretty good price you got. How many miles does it have? Also, is it a base, GL, or GLS model? 99 was a good year for the Intrigue, Olds sold over 90,000 in 99. Sad that sales have dropped to nearly half that now. I've got the sales brochure from 99(also have 00,01, and 02) so if you have any questions on what all was available that year, fire away.
    Was 2000 the year they offered the sable and mocha interior? Have you ever seen that interior color combo?
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    oldsman01 - take your checkbook down to your local street performance shop and get them to install an Eaton 62 supercharger. Anything is possible with enough money, right?
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Can I move in with you after my wife kicks me out for blowing the money on a supercharger? :-)
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Picked up our new 02 Alero GX last night after a long wait till month end. We needed a new second car and with the Olds loyalty, GM Visa points and 0.9% for 60 months, it was hard to resist the car, especially since it so much fun to drive.

Drove the car home last night and then the Intrigue right after. Comparing the cars only on a quality and performance basis, the Intrigue still gets the nod for performance in terms of handling and acceleration. The Alero has slightly better brakes but then again, they are new. Quality wise, the Alero seems a slight bit tighter and knobs feel a bit better in terms of quality. I still like the Intrigue better over all, but I think people with the Olds credit would do very well with an Alero as a second car. The Ecotec has many of the same characteristics the 3.5L in the Intrigue does.

As an aside, I really like the new RDS stereo. Sound from the 6-speaker system is excellent.
  • formersuver1formersuver1 Member Posts: 19
    I always trade a car after two years--after the first year or so I start looking for excuses to begin the search for my next vehicle. Now after 2.5 years with my 2000/PCS (29,000 miles) base Intrigue, I still can't find a good reason to buy something else. Several times I've seen another vehicle in the distance and thought it was a good looking vehicle--both times it turned out to be another Intrigue.....Not a single warranty repair, avg. 27.2 mpg overall and it's still as much fun (and tight!) as the day I drove it off the lot. Just had tires rotated, my mechanic says the tires are good for at least another 10-15,000 miles and pads/rotors in excellent shape. I see MotorTrend just finished their long-term Intrigue test and came to the same conclusion, this is a really good vehicle! 'nuf said for now, I'll check in again in 6 months or so.......
  • tboomtboom Member Posts: 8
    Anyone know if you can still order an Intrigue or not?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I doubt you can order an Intrigue. Since production is ending in June and sales have fallen off precipitously, I'd be surprised if dealers (i.e., the factory) were still taking orders.
    Thanks for the datapoint on (lack of) warranty claims. As my 2000GX nears the end of its warranty (33K miles), I am contemplating an extended warranty. My car, which I bought used at 23K miles, has had two significant issues (steering shaft and tranny OD clutch), both of which are known problems. The anecdotal evidence from this board (with two notable exceptions) says that I should save my money. OTOH, the CR database indicates Intrigue problems tend to materialize with age so at this point I'm still undecided.
    tboom : lots of Intrigues on the lots around here so i would imagine you could still find what you are looking for in stock. I think someone mentioned no more ordering as of a couple of weeks ago. I would check with a dealer though.

lmacmil : Have you had the shaft and tranny replaced?
    Last date was April 5th, as it was with most GM vehicles.
    Talked to my dealer about the Final 500 and he said they have a provisional order for one, but he does not know if they will be getting it.
    The shaft was replaced and the tranny rebuilt. The tranny is fine (it worked before, just had no OD). I still think I hear a little groan from the steering when I'm backing out of the driveway in the morning. Don't hear the ugly click I heard before it was replaced.
    I guess you are thinking the obvious, your shaft mite go again. What is the cost of the extended warranty vs the cost of a new shaft should it blow again? I think if the warranty isn't much more than the repair it may be a good bet.
  • larryk5larryk5 Member Posts: 25
    Changing company cars and was told to get a Taurus or Sable. Currently drive 01 Accord LX V6 and last car was 99 Intrepid ES.

Intrepid had alot of nagging problems after 65k and had alot of road noise and the Honda has been in the shop a bunch with brake and interior problems and also has alot of road noise and rides a bit harsh.

Drove an Intrigue GL and a Concord but not the Sable yet. Put about 45k per year on my car and spend 6-7 hrs at a time on the road. I am 6'2" and need some leg room. Would like a slightly softer quiter ride but don't want to give up to much of sporty ride.

I really like the features the GL has to offer and I found one in Houston for $22,300 with sun & sound. A little concerned about he reports on Edmunds about poor build quality and the fact that it fell from 2nd to 8th in the recent sedan comparison.

Any former Intrepid/Concord, Sable owners that can shed some light on this decision.

Thanks,
    Larry
    Intrigue has a quieter ride than the Intrepid. You'll have no problem with legroom. Both b4z and I are 6'8" and have enough legroom to pull the seat up when necessary. Road noise (for mid-sized cars) is pretty good, better if you get rid of the Goodyear Eagle LS tires that come with it.

Quality. You'll get a lot of responses about that. Refer to legero8's posts. Keep in mind, his car was used. From the problems he's having, it sounds like the previous owner was a weekend mechanic who didn't buy a manual. Speaking only for myself, I have not had any major problems (very few problems at all, in fact) and I am on my second Intrigue. The frist was a 1998 and went 80,000 miles and purred like a kitten. Only required oil changes and I did that according to the oil life monitor. You may have to get the steering shaft lubed. So far I have not needed that done on my 2001 Intrigue GL and it has been flawless at 20,000+ miles.

As far as Edmund's review is concerned, I'll leave that to your own judgement. Edmunds says it sucks (1998 & early 1999 models did have some issues), Motor Trend and Car and Driver say it's a good machine. Take it for what you will.

Oh, and the ride is comfortable. GREAT road car as many here will attest. Watch out for Five-0. It's nothing to do 90mph and not realize it. The car is extremely stable at high speed. To me, it actually feels better at 75 than at 50.
    Someone dared to put in writing that a Honda is NOT perfect and has problems?

Blasphemy!!!
  • tenn1975tenn1975 Member Posts: 6
    i have a black 2000 gls and the side mirrors always have a gray haze or film on them. the dealer said you have to wax them and I did. the haze is back in a week or two.
    every other color has painted side mirrors but the black got black plastic.

has this been remedied for anyone else.

also is the full dealer 30,000 mile service needed? my dealer says it needs the engine serviced, brakes checked, trans fluid, changed, and coolant flushed. isn't that supposed to be good for 100,000 miles.

any comments would be appreciated
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    There is a TSB for that:

Bulletin No.: 00-08-51-001

Date: September, 2000

Subject:
    Outside Rear View Mirror Housing Turns Chalky/Dull
    (Color/Clear Coat Mirror)

Your dealer should be able to look it up and help you from there.
    I don't think you will go wrong with an Intrigue. Most every publication give Intrigue an average reliability rating which is about right. I have had a couple of issues, but the car has never let me down after 45K. Motor Trend had a long term Intrigue which they wrote was nearly flawless a few month ago.

I know a a guy who works at the Concord/ Intrepid plant and he thinks the Intrigue is a better car. Granted he works on the line, but he drives a GM which I always make fun of him about.
  • buzzard4buzzard4 Member Posts: 43
    I'm thinking about replacing the passenger compartment air filter. It looks like you have to remove the whole cowling to get at it, which would require removing the wipers. I also see a few plastic fasteners that may be tricky. It doesn't look all that difficult, just a hassle. Anybody have any tips? Thanks.
    I change mine, myself, every year.

The passenger side of the cowling comes off by itself so you don't have to remove the wipers. The fastners are a little tricky. It helps to have a trim pad removal tool. A Craftsman tack puller also works great.

http://www.sears.com/data/product_images/tools/large/00941397000-dlv.jpg

The trick with the fastners is to hold the bottom still while you unscrew the plastic screw inside.

Then use the tack puller to take out the bottom part.

I have a 99 and page 6-22 of the owners manual does a good job of outlining the steps.

Good Luck.

• spidey910spidey910 Member Posts: 5
    My Intrigue (or should I say my baby) is a '99 GL and I just passed 34,000 miles today.
  • msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    First off, if you really read legero8's posts, starting with #6444, (a two year old car with only 12K miles), you would see a "weekend mechanic" and no manual have nothing to do with the failures he had. Furthermore, he had quite a few unusual things fail, but, I agree with him, that that many should not occur on a car that new that cost $25K new.....so, don't blame it on the former owner, because those items that failed don't typically require maintenance.....
    My '99 GL just passed 38,000 miles. I need some help troubleshooting an electrical problem. Here is what is happening:
    When I have my foot on the brake and the right turn signal on, both front turn signals flash.
    When I have my foot on the brake and the turn signals off, my right rear amber turn signal illuminates, but does not flash.
    When I have my foot on the brake my left rear brake light doesn't illuminate. I changed the brake light bulbs, but it didn't help.
    Any ideas?
    Intrigues don't all have them, do they? My owner's manual says "if so equipped." Isn't there a small cover (I'm sure I've seen it in pictures) to remove if it's serviceable?
    you would have paid an extra $30 or so when you bought your car to get the cabin air filter. Follow racer's directions above to install one. I bought one at the dealership for $30, so they aren't too expensive.
    Your car is possessed. I think the trouble code for that is 666.
    It's a demon of a car! Good thing I bought an extended warranty, I think I'm going to need it on this one.
    If your commute includes alot of highway travel, I highly recommend the Intrigue. It was born for highway(and high speed) travel. Last fall I took a 9 1/2 hour business trip to Chicago and chose to drive and did not get tired one bit. The seats are very supportive and the performance is very lively. Taurus and Sable were recommended because they are cheap to buy(relative to equipmemnt level) but there are some excellent deals on Intrigues and should problems crop up, you can save yourself(or company) repair expenses because all new Oldsmobiles come with a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty.
  • drmaydrmay Member Posts: 8
    My '01 GX Intrigue is been a honey so far. Nothing has broke. Performance wise I like the high speed handling...No nose dives on hard cornering, tracks straight and is steady on ice and snow with the Trac/control. Passes everything without breathing hard, but you have to wait a little while for that kickdown shift. Driving position is a bit Euro though. I'm 6'5" / 255 lbs so the power seat gets used to the limits of adjustment which means my arms are streached out. I'm expecting the engine to last a long long time...I mean 2000 rpm at 110Kph... thats loafing. Stereo could be better maybe.
    My Intrigue did not come with an air filter but I got one and put one in. Once you do it and learn how, it's easy to do but I thought it was quite difficult the first time because my manual was not very instructive. It's almost like they want the dealer to make the money from it. Also, I think FRAM makes a passenger compartment air filter that's cheaper. I'm going to replace mine this year with it instead.

I can't resist saying: And thus we see the true colors of the one who has caused so much grief on this board. One can only hope the Intrigue does right by him... and leaves him stranded somewhere in the desert.

Someone was asking about the different interior colors. I always thought mine was neutral until I saw a new one on the lot. It turns out my interior is mocha. I like the neutral look much better. That's another reason why I was possibly wanting to get into a different Intrigue.
    Let's see if I've got this right. There's a spot under the cowl to hold a cabin air filter, regardless of whether one came factory installed or not. If the car came with one from the factory, then there is also a cover on the cowl to make access easier. If it didn't come factory equipped, then the cowl must be removed to access it. How long did it take you the first time?
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=auto week&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=09432564

Delete the space in middle of the second "auto week" after pasteing address to make it work. (Can't post anything longer than 115 characters)

It will not get the 4.2L six - it gets a 5.3L V8!

I saw that, and it's good news for Buick. I think that GM is really trying to make Buick work again and this is a great addition to the family. I guess that means the Bravada finishes production this year then?

The name isn't great though, Rainier?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Which costs more, the $12,000 car or the $15,000 car? Sounds simple, but as we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Point well taken.

My post was simply to say that legero8's problems are not indigenous to all Intrigues. He has had only 1 Intrigue that has been really bad. If he swears off GM for eternity, I can't say I blame him. However, one car does not indict every vehicle of that make.

If legero8's reasoning about the quality of the Intrigue is sustained, then my experience proves he just got a lemon or the car was in an accident before he purchased it, despite what his sources say. I have had 2 -- count 'em TWO -- Intrigues. One from "problem" year 1998 and a 2001. I have never had anywhere near the problems he's had on the 98 and the '01 has been outstanding.

I don't know what happened to create his problems. But Intrigue overall quality should not be called into question becuase of this guy's problems with his first and only (and might I add used) Intrigue. My first was a demo with 20K miles. I cranked it to 80K. The 2001 was brand new, 11 miles on the odometer. Over 20k now and has been flawless.

Read his posts. Read mine. I try to look at all vehicles objectively and point out the positives and negetives. I don't engage in wholesale bashing of any manufacturer although I will disassemble myths about them. I'm just telling our new owners/interested owners to use discernment when reading (justifiably) angry posts like legero8's.
    I'm sorry but I don't know what a cowl is. Are you talking about the plastic covering beneath the windshield and below the wipers?

What I did was leave the winshield wipers upright then take the spray tube out of the way. I don't believe the Intrigues that came with the air filter are any different than those that did not. There is one ancillary plastic fastener on the side of the plastic covering and I just popped it off and left it off because it's not necessary to hold the cover in place. There is a main plastic screw that you'll undo and then you'll be able to tip the plastic covering upwards toward the windshield to access the filter. The filter sits 1/4 the way in from the fender and in a horizontal position. Someone here had posted pictures of where the filter was (and how dirty his old one was) and it really helped me do it the first time. All this talk about it really makes me want to replace mine. The FRAM filter is part# CF8392 - COMPARTMENT AIR FILTER. I think I'll check at an auto parts place today for it. (I hope it'll be cheaper than the dealer which was $23).
    How come users are chastised for posting off topic comments but the host can SPAM us with articles?

Notice when you hit the link there are NINE ads to the right for you!
  • msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    Thanks for the reply...I agree that one lemon does not condemn a model....some cars do get an disproportionate quantity of defective parts installed...GM's suppliers are the ones who need to improve, as a car is only a reflection of its parts....that is why the Japanese brands have better quality, their suppliers have a better partnership with the manufacturers, if they do well, the suppliers do well...I too try to disavow statements that aren't supported with fact....Everyone on this forum should realize that there are many perspectives being aired, and some will be negative, some positive. Anyway, Intrigues are like most GM cars; pretty good overall, but some quality issues are present...BTW, I have a '99 GL with 56K and have had the ABS Motor and and the Drivers' power window regulator replaced. Otherwise, no problems, and I bought it used, for 8k, in Dec. '01. But, I'm not surprised by the negative posts from some owners...And I have read his posts and YOURS...that is why I wrote the last one..
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I think you are mixing up apples and oranges. First of all, some off-topic commentary is always allowed. A host will only ask it to stop if it is becoming argumentative, disruptive or has overtaken a discussion to the point where the subject of the discussion has been completely drowned out.

As to the "host spam", well I don't follow you at all - anything Edmunds.com related is not off-topic in any discussion for the simple reason that Edmunds.com is our sponsor. We figure that what goes on on Edmunds.com is a big part of the reason our members are here, so we figure our members will be interested in developments and innovations on our host site.

Of course if you are not interested, you certainly do not have to follow any links provided. That's your choice.

As to the advertising, well, let me ask you this - how much is your annual membership fee here? Hmm? Oh yeah, this is a totally free and complementary service to our valued customers.

I'm pulling your leg a bit there, but please understand that somehow we have to pay the bills. Otherwise how can we exist?

I hope you understand - if you want to discuss this any further, please drop me an email.

Thanks!

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Ads are a fact of life on the web. I just hope Edmunds doesn't start using those obtrusive ads, like the Mercury Marauder that screeches across your screen. That would seriously hinder my appreciation of Town Hall.
    Anyone had or believe in brake servicing in between pad changes? I got an oil change/ tire rotation done today and they "recommended" it. I am always suspicious of this kind of service I've never done before. Will the brake last longer if I get it?
  • tenn1975tenn1975 Member Posts: 6
    thanks for the info on the TSB about the black mirrors turning to a white chalky haze. i found that same TSB at nhtsa.
    Oldsmobile customer service and also my dealer couldn't pull it up or find it. does anyone know what the TSB says needs to be done to remedy the problem?
    thanks again.
    What did they want to do? Brake service is changing pads and turning rotors. If you go more than 2 years between pad changes, lubing the caliper pins and replacing the brake fluid (by bleeding the brakes until the fluid is clear again) isn't a bad idea but it's not on any maintenance schedule I've ever seen. Oh yeah, if you don't use your parking brake, lubing the cable ought to be done periodically also.
    Is the air intake right above the filter? I have a small air intake by the right fender and a larger one in front of the driver. There is no screen where the filter would be and the sketch in my manual looks different than my car.
    dindak - I just had that brake service done this week to my rear brakes by my dealer. They clean and adjust the rear brakes to the tune of US$55. They also adjust the parking brake. I went in expecting to buy new front brake pads (since I have nearly 40K miles), but they told me I still have about 40% on the fronts, and 75% on the rear. They recommended the rear cleaning, so I said what the hell. Total waste of money, IMO.

Another note - I had them check out the grinding on the front right wheel. They had checked it out in January when the car was under warranty, and had supposedly fixed it. This time they told me my left front strut and strut bearing were bad, and they would fix it at no charge since it was under warranty when I originally brought it in. I got a free strut, but the grinding is still there. Oh well, at least it didn't cost me anything. I'm wondering if the grinding could be the steel belts on the tire, since they are bald. I ordered a set of Dunlop SP Sport A2's, which should be in next week.