Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The 95 Buick was an experience let me tell you. The Intrigue felt like an M3 after driving that LeSabre 2 weeks and a day. I'm dreading taking the car back in for the body damage to be repaired as who knows what I'll get next time. I noticed when I was there today someone else had returned a service loaner and it was a Chevy Corsica. They hand me the keys to that one or to a Cutlass Ciera(also one of those there) there is going to be problems.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    You are REMARKABLY calm for such an ordeal! Maybe it's the wine? I would be RAISING HELL! I'd call and talk to the owner himself!
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Be prepared for them to claim the car had no damage when you picked it up. They can say that the damage occurred after you picked up the car, since no one at the dealership witnessed the damage in your presence prior to your leaving the dealership. Once you have exited the dealership, they can escape responsibility. I hope it works out okay, but I would call GM, Oldsmobile, BBB, the local TV station, and anyone else I could find that would listen. Good luck!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Scratches and dents after all you have been through are completely unacceptable. I would be visiting my lawyer. That dealership should have it's GM franchise agreement ripped up.

A lady in my office is having a similar situation with her Mazda 626 which has been in the shop several times with the same transmission problems they can never seem to fix. She was given a 5 year old Mazda van to drive and has had the van for over a week this time. Dealer has returned the car to them several times claiming it's fixed when it clearly is not. Amazing. I'm glad the Chev-Olds dealer here is good. Almost makes me want to stay with GM for that reason alone.
    Well when I went to pick the car up, the service department had already closed. The only person there was a cashier and I thought about telling her, but I had a dinner reservation and just wanted to drive my car. So while waiting to be seated at dinner I called and spoke with my sales rep so that someone there would be aware of the situtation. I am going to call the service department tomorrow morning and discuss this with someone.

Dindak, the sad thing is this dealer sells all five GM brands(Chevrolet, Pontiac, Olds, Buick, and GMC). Despite a very good sales experience, this dealer has lost any future business from me(sales or service) unless I am positively amazed with how they handle the body damage.
    Keep us up to date on what happens. It amazes me how bad service can be. I have clearly been extremely fortunate in finding decent service.
    And what is REALLY amazing is how much money they make on service. You would think, with these huge profit margins, they would be a little more attentive and want to retain your business. Some seem so short-sighted.... screw 'em today, the hell with tomorrow! This is the number one reason why I will never buy an extended warranty. Dealer service is the WORST, in my experience. Not to say the independents are any better, but at least they know you are not locked-in to dealing with them. And it is not always that the dealer service people don't care or try... many of my experiences show a real attempt to fix things. They are just too stupid to do the job right. Probably their attempt to make more money by hiring inexperienced or incompetent people. It's like my friend said, "Somewhere out there is the worlds worst doctor. And sadly, someone probably has an appointment with him tomorrow!"
    Well, I replaced the front struts on my 99 GL (64,000 miles) last week. I purchased two of the Delco Road Response Silver struts (503322). Paid $151.00 shipped plus $40 to have the struts swapped out (carry-in to Pep Boys) for a total investment of $191.00. It was worth it; car rides a little better now, and takes the big sharp bumps better. Not a big improvement, but an improvement. Wish I had invested in a set of front springs now. It would not have cost much more. I think the struts and springs are both to blame for the "jolting" response to sharp road irregularities. Stuts that came off have "Intrigue" logo on them... oooooohhhhhh.... special!
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I was really sorry to hear about your horrible experience getting your car back. To wait two weeks for the repair and to get the car back filthy is one thing, but to have it damaged and for them not say anything is just too much. What was their response when you spoke with them today? Did they fix your other problems such as the flickering lights? Did they say how they would repair the dash where it is pulling away from the center A/C vent? I know that the center vent issue is a common problem. I've seen it on many, most with the neutral/mocha interior. Mine is doing the same. I have been fortunate that the dealership that I bought my Intrigue from ( the Olds franchise is now closed), is that Olds shared the service department with Cadillac. My experience with them has been very positive. They really try to satisfy, and when you have your car serviced, they run it through a car wash and have it hand dried. Oh, the little things. But they really make the difference and will greatly influence my next purchase. Good Luck!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Called the dealer service department this morning and spoke with my service advisor and he told me to bring the car in and they would look at it. So I drove over there and another service advisor approached me to ask what they could do when I first pulled up. I explained to her the situation and she says "lets take a look at it" and when I pointed the damage out, she immediately said that it was about the same height as a buggy at Wal-Mart or a grocery store. I just said that it was not there when I brought the car in and went on in to talk with my service advisor. He tells me I'll need to speak with another person and that he'll be out in a minute. I waited for about twenty minutes and then was told to come on back to an office where a guy had been sitting for several minutes as I saw him walk back there. I tell him the story and he pulls something up in his computer then goes out to take and look at the car and comes back in and says the technician who worked on my car was on vacation last week and that he would have to wait until next week when he returns then he would investigate further. He took my number and said would call me back when he gets more info to see if we can "work something out." I just left and while driving home I called 1-800-442-OLDS on my cell phone and started a file. The rep I spoke with was very friendly and she actually placed me on hold to call the guy I spoke with(who was the dealer service manager) and tell him that a file on the issue had been opened. She came back to me and said he told her pretty much what he told me about it being next week. She also said that I may still pursue the dealer on this as they were simply documenting the information right now. So I think I'm going to write the dealership owner and cc the service manager and GM customer assistance as well. Maybe even the BBB. I just don't get it. To me, I don't care if the technician who worked on the car did the damage or the janitor did it, the fact is the car was in their possession when the damage occured and I want it fixed! Anyway, we know what the technician will probably say about it when questioned by his boss. So I don't know where this will go, but to me this is bad customer service. What do they think, this is a deal or something and we'll work something out? Thats ridiculous! What I want done is my car repaired and no more of the run around. As for the "flicker" and the dash separating from the A/C vents. The gap between the vents is still there and I still have no paperwork to see if the flicker was addressed or what the reason was why the other problem not corrected. As for the car though, I am really enjoying driving it. You really don't know what you have until it's gone:) I just know one thing for certain, other than the body damage repair, they are never touching my baby again.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    are probably scaring away more Olds sales on this forum than the actual Intrigue bugs.

I'm thinking about letting my 2 remaining issues wait until I can get back to North Carolina (where I bought the car) in a few months. My expectations are so low of dealership assistance, that I think only the place I bought it might give a hoot.

I can live with the headlight flicker... I knew about it before I bought the car. But I thought the steering problems were addressed by the 2000 build, and I want mine fixed! I swear, I can not only feel it, but *hear* it sometimes.

GM, is this the way you expect to make "conquest sales" from people who used to drive foreign cars???
    The plot thickens huh? Well, keep up the pressure. The BBB is probably a good place to go as it will get their attention (assuming they are a member of course).

Have not seen the "flicker" since a cold night in February and I doubt I will again until December/ January. Luckily my warranty runs out in March so I will have it addressed this year. Car is otherwise still trouble free.
  • pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    I've been getting a shudder in all gears and throttle positions when the transmission shifts between 3000 and 4000 RPM, and I suspected a clogged pressure control valve per TSB # 00-07-30-002A (Aug 2000). I took the car into the dealership yesterday morning and got a call in the late afternoon telling me that they found no diagnotic trouble code and they could not duplicate the problem during a test drive.

When I explained the problem for the umteenth time, the serv. rep. unbelievably asked "Do you really rev the car up to 3500 RPM?" and I answered, "Are you kidding? It redlines around 5500." So, I scheduled a test drive with me in the car.

I went out this morning with the service manager who said he drove the car yesterday and found nothing wrong and who was very dismissive of the TSB. (He also tried to give the line the giving enough gas for the car to shift between 3000 and 4000 was unusually hard driving.) When I finally got him to work the throttle so that it shifted between 3000 & 4000 the car shuddered every time, and he had no choice to agree that it was there. Now they tell me they'll have to put the pressure guage in the trans which is the diagnostic set forth in the TSB. So, We'll see what happens next.
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Sorry to hear of your problems with this dealer. My experience with the dark side of human nature leads me to believe that you were set up. To call you late on a Friday afternoon and tell you your car is ready, then have nobody around to answer your concerns - I believe this was all planned after they damaged the car and didn't want to take the blame. They probably knew you were dieing to get back in your car for the weekend and would be very "predisposed" to picking it up. As soon as you take it away - they now have an easier time shifting the blame (the Wal Mart shopping cart alibi). I would not be surprised if the "mechanic is on vacation" is just a line they use to delay the process and just hope you will forget about it and go away. It is a despicable game, but I have seen it played far too many times.

I know it is no fun going through what you are going through. I truly hope it works out in your favor. I hope I am dead wrong in my assumptions about this dealer. It will probably come down to how much energy you are willing to put into it to attempt to get justice. Most people just walk away after some irate complaining and, in the end, no resolution and dealers not being held accountable - which just gives them more reason to treat the next guy the same way.

swagled - ditto your comment to GM on "conquest sales"
    While the dealership service experience has been lousy, I don't think this will keep people from buying the car. If I had it to do over again, I'd still buy the car, just from a different dealer. BTW, this dealer family has another branch that sells Toyotas. And just like their GM dealership, their Toyota dealership is touted for "complete satisfaction" and lots of company awards. What Olds could have/should have done is set a higher standard for their dealers much in the way Lexus, Infiniti, and Saturn have done. If the car wasn't such a joy to drive, I'd seriously be thinking about trading it. At least if I do have another problem, there is another Olds dealer I can(and will) go to. Whats really sad is the sales experience was very positive and I was actually sort of a cheerleader for them as I highly recommended them up until now. Had they owned up to the damage or taken action when I brought it to their attention, I wouldn't have such bad feelings now.
    I washed my car today and it literally was filthy. I had to wash the entire car twice and the finish is still not smooth as there are still spots on the hood and roof. It looks like it's been rained on in an area where there is a lot of industry and polluntants in the air(which is probably the case where it sat for 2 weeks). I'm going to hand wash it again and then take it to a full service car wash and get it cleaned and detailed then wax it.
    Anybody tinted the windows on their Intrigue? If so, what is a ballpark price and how long did it take. I'm considering having this done for two reasons, one I think it would look great as the car is black with a drak grey interior, and two it would probably keep the interior cooler.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I had the windows tinted in my Intrigue, 35% all around (except the front!) for $225 Canadian, so I would assume a good job in USA would cost ~$200 USD. Make sure you get a name brand tint material like Llumar, Solargard, or 3M. Check with a luxury car dealer what shop they have do their tints.

Took a couple hours, make sure you get the rear in one piece. One part that turns out pretty crummy is the top of the rear window. On my 99, its all dotted, and tint does not like sticking well to this stuff.

After its done, you have to leave your windows up for a week+ for the glue to dry.
    Earlier this evening, a friend and I were looking over my car and we discovered that it was not "dirty rain" that is on my car, somehow the dealer managed to ruin the finish! His guess was the car was sitting outside in the hot sun near the exhuast vents from their paint shop or else a sand blaster was used nearby. We started running our hands across the finish and on the passenger side(especially on the hood and fender) the surface was as rough as sand paper. Looking at it closely with bright light revealed that there are tiny little particles in the paint. He even put some wax on an area and buffed it off to see if that would help and the surface was still rough. This would explain why I continued to notice the rough finish when I was washing the car earlier. I really don't know what I am going to do at this point. I think I need to contact the dealer owner as this is just unreal. If they do not repair this car to my satisfaction, I'm afraid I will have no option but to pursue legal action. I'm taking the car tomorrow to an independent body shop to give me an assesment of what has been done and an estimate as well, then I am going to contact GM so they can update my file and then I'm going to call the dealer back and tell them what else I have found. I'd like to see how they are going to try and get out of that one. Oh I know, they will claim the finish was bad from the factory and charge the repair back as a warranty claim. I want GM to know that this car had a flawless finish on it until I got it back last friday. I've said this before, but I'm serious when I say this dealer has lost any future business(sales or service) from me. I'm soon to be 27 and potentially have alot of new cars I could buy in my lifetime, but I will never buy from them again. After whatever happens, I am going to formally write GM corporate as they really should be aware of this. What was somewhat of a bad situation(tranmission problem) has now turned into body and paint damage.
    I have never heard of bad paint finish on an Intrigue so I doubt GM will buy the dealer's story that this is a factory defect. You are doing the smart thing letting GM know what is going on here. This dealer should have it's GM franchise pulled!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Don't tell them that you won't give them any future business. Give the owner an opportunnity to make it right. If not, sue them.
    I would then think about getting rid of the car after it was painted. Repainted cars will bring a lower resale.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Have been away for a while and have just read through your posts on your tranny et al problems. All I can say is holy c...

I know the feeling. Been their done that with the gm hot line.
    My first couple of calls were greeted with enthuiasism, but then they slowly started to change their tune and the attitude was if you do not like it, then sell.

I do not understand how stupid they think people are.
    Do they not think that if gm can not resolve a flickering headlight and shaky tranny while it is under warranty and I have to unload it, that I would actually consider a gm product ever again.
    Well from my experience that is actually what they believe. I think, that they think, that there is just as many people walking out of fords doors in a huff and walking into theirs as there is people coming out of gm doors in a huff and going to ford. I. e. it all comes out in the wash.

Ironically, what they have yet to figure out is that a good number of them are going foreign.

Good luck with gm hot line but remember that you are just a drop in the bucket. They are like the dealer but more polished.

Watch and wait for the four D's.

1. Deny (no problem found)

2. Dismiss ( they all do that, thats normal)

3. delay ( come back tomorrow , next week, next year, we need to talk to another guy/girl etc. etc.)

4. degrade (your not being reasonable, you are too emotional, you are overreacting)

After my experience the wife and I are ready to dump the 2001 and go buy something five to seven years old. That way the problems that occur will be expected and we won't have the massive depreciation and rip-offs when you buy new and the 20000 can. saved should easily pay for upkeep.

Your problems are bringing back bad memories and getting three can not duplicates and we are still waiting on 14 months from gm on your tranny and headlights, that I went through just yesterday, has re kindled my blood boiling on the arrogance of big corporations not taking responsibility for their products.

Thats my rant
    You might be able to have it "buffed" professionally. If it has overspray or other contaminants ON the surface as opposed to IN the surface, they probably can be polished out. If so, this is a much better option than re-painting. At least the car is black; won't have to worry about matching the color or metallic. I had the windows tinted in my 99 GL about two years ago; best tint that 3M makes, lifetime warranty. The cost was about $200. Looks great on a black car (mine is black, too) and definitely makes a difference in the summer. The dots at the top of the rear window are a real problem. The tint just won't stick so it looks a little uneven. I recently mounted a set of factory chrome wheels, too, just to finish it off. Our last problem was with the crank sensor (last Fall, I think); before that it was round-and-round with the alternator issue. We've had about 10,000 trouble-free miles now; fingers crossed!
  • focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Vcjumper - what is your long term assessment of the GM front (with 3rd party bracket) and rear stb?
  • pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    The dealer told me that the slipping/shuddering experienced when the trans upshifts is caused by a sticking valve in the valve body that requires the whole valve body to be replaced at a total cost of $967.00 US ($168.00 of which is for parts). TSB 00-07-30-002A indicates that the problem can usually be traced to either sediment inside the pressure control valve which is corrected by either cleaning or replacing it or sediment in the valve body which again can be corrected by cleaning or replacing. I feel they're trying to hit me for the biggest charge, so I picked up the car and I'm taking it to my independent mechanic. I only took it to the dealer in case they found a pile of metal shavings in the fluid, so I would be in a position to call GM and demand that they afford me at least partial coverage of the repair cost because transmissions are supposed to last more than 57K miles. I'll never use a dealership again for service, and although I love the way the Intrigue performs, I'm beginning to think getting a Maxima SE would have been a smarter move.
    Putting on the front had less of an impact to me than the rear.. Maybe if I put on the front first, the rear wouldn't have seemed to make such a difference.

But for ~$100 total Canadian, I'm very happy with the increase in steering response and overall chasis rigidity.

If I do anymore suspension upgrades, it will be a rear Next Level sway bar. Expensive by the time you get it to Canada and installed though.
    I know we can browse the foreign make topics and find lots of dealership stories there too. But when a buyer is frustrated, and has a choice of 2 (and a half?) American manufacturers vs. something over a dozen foreign makes, sheer odds says that person will become a foreign buyer on the next purchase.

GM still could get another sale with me. Lutz is waking up the divisions and what's coming after 2003 looks interesting. (And it's possible my next vehicle would be a pickup. GM has always made pretty good trucks.)

When I compare to my last car, a 4 door Mazda Protege, I notice lots of little things about the Intrigue. Details which give me the feeling that "it needed more thought" and the next generation could have improved.

For example, the rear seat won't lie flat. The Mazda was a smaller 4 door car, but it had more usable cargo space, because the rear seat would lie flat. I moved tables, and a small refrigerator in it!

The front driver's seat won't recline as far as the one in the Mazda. (Sometimes I'm tired and will pull over and rest. It's nice to be able to "lie down" in your car.)

There is some kind of obstruction underneath the seat, so that if I pull my left leg towards me while driving, the back of my heel hits it. The passenger side seat won't recline *forward* very far. (If you put a big thing in the back seat, you might want to do this.)

I suppose someone could say "if you cared so much about interior space, buy a small wagon instead of a performance sedan". But my response is "I wasn't thinking about cargo space when I bought the Mazda. I just bought an affordable car with a comfortable driving postion, and the little interior amenities were a bonus."

The Intrigue didn't have these bonuses, which I "wasn't" shopping for... The fact that I noticed these things shows that there were designers at Mazda who really thought about every possible use of the vehicle. But GM didn't "pour over the design" quite so much.
    I think the 2003/04 Intrigue would have been a VERY nice car. With Lutz at the helm, the Intrigue could have been easily vaulted to best in class status. Unfortunately we will never know. I only hope that GM does a good job with the 03/04 Grand Prix. While I would like to get a CTS, I'm not sure I will be able to afford one and that leaves me with a Maxima in a few years. It's amazing how little choice there is in the sporty sedan market.
    Don't forget the Mazda 6, its getting pretty good reviews from the European press. 215hp, 5-speed auto or 5-speed manual. Sedan or 5 door hatch. I'm looking forward to it!
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Weren't you going to show us pictures of the installation?
    I would get in touch with the owner of the dealership ASAP. Hopefully they will own up to their mistakes. Did the damage break the paint? If not, I would have them do 'paintless' dent removal. I have had good experience with this type repair, and you don't have to worry about matching the paint. Also, given the choice, I would have them gently buff out the paint first to see if this removes the residue that has stuck to your paint. Make sure they don't buff the paint too thin, or thru the paint, and also don't accept swirl marks. On a dark color, this only looks worse (much worse) with time. Only as a last resort, have them repaint. But let them know you are going to be expecting a first class job and nothing less! I'll stop here as you're probably getting enough unsolicited advice. Good Luck!!

I finally did it. I replaced the rear deck speakers. My Intrigue came with the Dimensional Sound System, standard on the GL. Though the standard set up is satisfactory, I had after market speakers that I kept when I sold my '99 Cutlass. They made an appreciable improvement in sound in that car, so I thought they would do the same in the Intrigue. The job was a little more involved than I hoped, and it took a bit over an hour. It involves removing the entire back seat and parcel shelf. As usual, I had to bust my knuckles at least once! Since I just installed the speakers this evening, I cannot yet fully comment if they improved the sound quality, but first impressions are good. What I found interesting is the original rear speakers are coaxial(have tweeters)and are not full range speakers as I first thought. In the Cutlass, it had full range speakers front and back, so the addition of coaxial speakers made a tremendous difference in sound. I will be happy to give detailed instructions how to change out the rear speakers if anyone is interested, but I won't bore you with the details now. Enjoy.

• pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Please pardon the rambling - I'm still recovering from new-car buzz.

I've been lurking here for a couple days now - decided to jump on an '02 Intrigue GL, took delivery six hours ago. The lease on my Alero is up in mid-February, just barely before the cutoff. I've had such good luck with GM vehicles lately (wife's now-sold '98 Cavalier was econo-perfect, Alero was almost flawless) I decided to bite and use the massive discounts available. Why throw money away on a lease, when I can use it toward a vehicle I own. The person who coined the term "Generous Motors" a few thousand posts back was right on!

Despite a small scratch on the driver's rear door that everyone missed before the car left the lot (going to the dealer's body shop the first opportunity I get, my salesperson was very apologetic and cool about it - she took full responsibility for missing the scratch, which is refreshing nowadays, even though it was more my fault than hers for not seeing it), the experience at the dealer was great.

The car is EXCELLENT. I did like the Alero, even though it was a bit cramped. The v6 had some guts, and was generally fun to drive. I was truly sad on it's final drive to the dealership from whence it came, it is still a very nice car, and someone I'm sure will get a screaming deal on it.

However, the Intrigue stomps all over the Alero -it still kills me that OTD, the Intrigue was cheaper. It's really unbelieveable. Until I test drove one this past Monday, I had my heart set on a Nissan Maxima. Why go Japanese when the General has a made-in-the-USA version that is $10k less and just as good?

I rented an '02 Maxima SE this past December for a few days while attending my brother's wedding on the other side of the country. While it's hard to tell on the Intrigue's engine yet (I wasn't about to really let'er rip - I don't want to completely kack a seal with 30 miles on the odo!), I think the Intrigue actually handles a bit better. That is, there is definately a better tradeoff in stiffness vs. ride comfort; the Max's rear axle is a definate weak point on that car. The thing hopped all over the freeway. And the Intrigue's seats are LEAGUES better; as with most Japanese cars, the seats are designed for people of a smaller stature. Not being racist, it's just the way we're built. My large Norwegian frame just didn't fit all that well - I'm a big dumb Viking! They were really lacking leg support - and NO DEAD PEDAL! Otherwise, the Max was a blast to drive, I would have been proud to own one.

I drove my new Intrigue all over West Michigan tonight, and even though I'm taking it easy (with 28 miles on the odo at delivery), it was a blast. LOVE the car. If it holds up half as well as the two recent GM vehicles we've owned, I'll be completely delighted.

So now, I've been reading this board and am getting disheartened. The tranny problems are especially shocking, since auto transmissions are probably the STRONGEST attribute on GM vehicles. I'm also not sure what the strange obsession with PCS is on this board. Nobody seems to realize that in day-to-day driving, you'll never notice. I certainly didn't on back-to-back test drives on a non-PCS GX and PCS GLS. For the horrendous price difference (the only PCS equipped vehicles in the area were pimped-to-the-gills MSRP $30k+ GLSs), I'll stick with a "everything I need, nothing I don't" GL, thanks. I hate leather, moonroofs annoy me, but gotta have keyless entry and a decent stereo. The only reason I didn't get the GX was that for some idiot reason GM opted to make it impossible to get fogs on that trim level. Where I live, fogs often make the difference between a quick snap of the steering wheel and continuing on and having Bambi innards dripping off your radiator. That climate-control gizmo is VERY slick, though. Unexpected, and a potential marriage saver.

Driving around, I was kind of saddened by the realization that this would be the last new Olds I would ever own. I did test drive a Bravada, but holy floaty-boat. My wife's Escape is a comparative speed merchant and F1 handler by comparison. Also, I think I would miss tearing up the roads like I did in my Alero.

So, I will continue to lurk and contribute - in a more eloquent manner, I promise. Thought everyone might enjoy the ramblings of a new (and completely delighted) Intrigue owner; I'm definately one of the last of that breed, that's for sure.

Rich
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Congratulations!
    We may still get some more newbies on here as people buy those lease-turnbacks at deep discount.

Until the 2004 GM cars are available, the Intrigue is one of the best driving cars the General makes.

The CTS sounds interesting, but I haven't been able to get past it's looks. The Intrigue, while a 1997-era skin, still looks current and proportionate. The CTS looks like a car influenced by SUV styling! I don't mind the angular lines, cars in the 1960's and 1970's certainly were linear and boxy. But the CTS just looks too chunky and ungainly to be a fast car.

Still, at least it's RWD with a powerful engine and a manual. GM is finally listening to what "drivers" want. Who knows, maybe I'll pick one up used someday anyhow.

P.S. - Perna, if you like your car now, wait till you start driving it above 3500 RPM. You'll discover soon afterward that your right foot has become heavier, and that the road is just filled with SLOW people!
    Welcome! We probably aren't going to get much new blood around here so you are probably one of the last new owners. I agree with you, the Intrigue is a screaming bargoon right now with all the discounts. My wife and I thought about a second one, but decided a base Alero GX was all we could handle in terms of payments.

Look forward to hearing from your experiences with an 02.
    I know about the Mazda 6 and I will definitely take a look at some point. Unfortunately I have poor impressions of Mazda which has had checkered quality and it's dealers which generally have a bad reputation in this city. We shall see, but my gut tells me it would be a GP or a MAX that would replace the Intrigue someday.
    Congratulations. I felt, after driving an Alero, that the Intrigue was a big step up. Alero was fine for a compact, but the Intrigue was definitely a class above. Funny, you speak of the seats compared to the Maxima; I paid for the leather option in my 99 GL, in part, because of increased thigh support. I actually measured the lower seat and compared a cloth Intrigue seat with a leather one. The leather seat had about 3 inches more length! I'm 6-3 (mostly legs!) so the extra lower cushion length makes a big difference for me, especially on long trips. My old 91 Thunderbird had the worst seats I've ever traveled in. Suffered all the way across country (Oklahoma to South Carolina) and swore that car was OUT THE DOOR! My lower legs would be in pain within two hours. Same thing with the sunroof; they don't do a thing for me, other than reduce headroom, IMHO. I had to buy a left-over 01 Firebird Formula instead of ordering a new 02 because I wanted a hardtop (no t-tops) and Pontiac decided that, no, you could only get a Formula WITH t-tops for the final year of production. RRRRRRRRR
    A letter to the dealership owner, GM customer assistance, and the local BBB is in the mail as we speak. I'm not at the point I want to dump the car(unless I could afford a Cadillac CTS) as the car itself is not the problem. The dealer is the problem! Fortunately, there are other dealers besides them. It's just a shame they sell and service 5 GM brands at one shop.

I had a body shop give me an estimate yesterday and $530 is what it will cost to get her looking new again. He said the spots should be able to be buffed out. The sratch, however, did cut the paint to the metal. I haven't even called the dealer to tell them that I discovered the spotting, I simply included that in the letter I sent to the owner.

Mazda, sorry but Mazdas seem half baked. If I wanted utility, I would have bought a truck or an SUV. Olds may not have "poured over" the design of how far back the seat reclines, but at least they put a mill under the hood. Besides, you can't drive a car lying down. The Intrigue is best driven sitting upright with both hands firmly affixed to the wheel. Cell phone preferably turned off and radio on(or else off and windowns down so the engine's music can be heard).

Despite all my troubles, I am glad I finally have my car back. I had actually gotten used to that Buick I had as a loaner(thats sad!) and my Intrigue feels like it is literally on rails. I had also forgotten how good it was to actually hear the engine on this car, unlike the Buick with it's clattering series I 3800 V6.
    Congratulations on your new car. Please be advised that my recent rants have centered on the dealer's service department and not my car. I have 16,500 miles on my 2001 GLS and have had it nearly 11 months now and still enjoy it alot. I've had a few problems and the tranmission problem did concern me a bit, but it's the dealer who kept the car 15 days and then returned it to me with a scratch and dent and spotted paint that really has me mad. The Intrigue is not flawless, but for the price it is a hard combination of features, style, and performance to beat. Mine is a fully "pimped out" GLS with PCS, chrome wheels, and gold package. Sticker was $29,300 but I did NOT pay ANYWHERE near that. The PCS is a neat feature which can come in handy, but I don't consider it a must like I do ABS and traction control. The only advantage to having PCS is you get a 3.29 final drive ratio. You should be able to carve up 97% of the roads you did in your Alero with the Intrigue. The Alero's only advantage was it's smaller dimensions and lighter weight. The Intrigue actually has a more sophisticated suspension and then there is the engine. As someone else said, you'll soon discover the roads are clogged with too many slow drivers:) Seat wise, if you like firm supportive seats, the Intrigue fits the bill. I find them very firm and supportive and after sitting on a sofa in the loaner Buick I had for two weeks, they felt like Recaro race buckets. My next car will likely be a Cadillac CTS as that is truly a wonderful car to drive, but until then the Intrigue is a very nice stop gap. Now if I can just get the paint damage repaired back to it's original(read flawless) state.
    Actually looked at Maximas on the Nissan's website while the Intrigue was in the shop as a 255 hp V6 and 6 speed did sound tempting and the deals in the paper were almost "Olds like". So I stopped in at a dealer one afternoon and soon discovered the deals are on the base GXE model and they only had one SE with the 6 speed and it was not discounted much. Also noticed that even on the top line GLE model, Nissan charges you extra for floormats($70), traction control, and heated seats. To get traction control, one must also order and pay extra for side impact air bags. I didn't drive one as I was not overly impressed after seeing the pricing. Sticker on one GLE was higher than the sticker was on my Intrigue GLS and the only things it had that mine lacked was Zenon headlights and side impact airbags. Maybe with some serious dealing one could get this model discounted considerably, but I got the impression they expected customers to pay close to MSRP on this model. Looked at an Altima as well and while I didn't drive it either, was not impressed. The rear taillights havre got to go and the interior had Pontiac looking plastic. I can see why many owners are complaining about this. For $22K a V6 Altima would be a great deal, but for $27 and up it just doesn't seem a great buy. Even with a powerful V6.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Congrats on the new Intrigue. YOu've made a good choice. Most of us are very happy with the car, though some less so with their dealers. I am one of the few that had a tranny problem (rebuilt under warranty due to a known issue). The only reason I knew I had a problem was due to higher than normal OD rpms (OD clutch burned out). Still shifted just fine in 1-3. I think the only real downside to the Intrigue is very steep depreciation but if you plan to keep the car 5 years or more, who cares?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Congratulations on your intrigue. Enjoy!
    From what I have seen on the market and read, the Intrigue is really no worse than any other GM sedan so far. Maybe that will change when production is done but so far the gloom and doom has not materialized, at least not in the greater Toronto area.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I'm on my second Intrigue. The first went 80,000 miles with no mechanical problems at all (except the steering shaft issue). As someone else mentioned, the powertrain actually felt smoother at 80K than it did at 30K. I love this one (current '01; former '98). And at over 22,000 miles I have had absoultely NO problems. Imagine a Camry owner bragging about his "flawless" car. Now replace "Camry" with "Intrigue" and you have my experience. Now we've got to get you to put on the rear strut tower brace. Then fling that baby into a curve! :-)

Most of us here are not the paranoid, super-safety conscience people that Camry owners tend to be. The PCS hype, as oldsman01 pointed out, is because of the 3.29 axle vs. the 3.05 in non-PCS equipped Intrigues. To use a quote from an ever-so-popular TV character: "More power". Well, not exactly, but it is snappier off the line. That's why you read us talking about it so much.

Have fun (as if I had to tell you that)! Don't get pulled over :-)
    I usually can't resist using the higher revs "just because they're there". When I pass other people in Intrigues who are sedately cruising at 67MPH, I think "How can you STAND that?"
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Didn't drive it a ton today, was stuck in an awful training seminar all day. I did take it for the first time on the freeway, however.

It has about the same amount of road noise as a Maxima; that is, just enough to keep you aware of the goings on around you. It's much better than wife's Escape, which at times can be very noisy.

The freeway is 3-4 lanes in the area I was driving, and was clogged with traffic. Or so I thought. I was tailgating a BMW, getting righteously PO'ed at his sloth, when I looked down at the speedometer. 90 in a 55. Oops. I was horrified at a poster long ago who mentioned hitting the limiter at 129; now, 129 doesn't seem that outrageous.

The gas tank must be CAVERNOUS. I haven't looked at the user manual yet to see what the actual capacity is, but I'm barely off full and I've driven 100 miles in it. This car is going to be a spectacular road-trip vehicle! Or my gas gauge is broken.

I agree with Nissan's horrible Maxima packaging. The GXE is an absolute stripper; while it is still decently equipped, you can get many more options on the Intrigue GX. And to get pretty much any additional options on the SE or the GLE, you have to get a stinking sunroof. Hello Nissan, I live in Michigan. The sun shines MAYBE a quarter of the year, and even if it does shine, I'd rather have the extra headroom than a hole in the roof. I'll roll my windows down if I ever need the "wind through my hair" feeling. Geesh. No offense to sunroof owners, of course, your boat floats to a different beat than mine is all. :-)

On the Caddy CTS, I was actually thinking about one, but am REALLY leery on 1st year GM anything(Plus, like the Intrigue, they are putting in a different/better? engine in the following year's model). That's one of the reasons I went with a 5th-year model Intrigue than waiting for an '04 Grand Prix. I'm sure it will be an interesting car and have much more tasteful styling inside and out than the current GP, but can anyone remember the last GM new model intro that wasn't totally botched? The Vibe is close, so far, but it's still too new to tell. The Avalanche isn't bad either, but IMHO that thing is a rolling monument to bad taste. Lose the cladding for '03, and it will be better.

oldsman01: Glad to hear you're still happy with your car. There are some truly awful GM service shops around; what I would do, personally, is bring it to another GM dealer, regardless of make. Preferably Pontiac or Buick, since they sell Intrigue twins(they're more likely to have parts in-stock), but it shouldn't matter. I know a lot of Pontiac owners of various models who take their cars to the local Buick dealer, because our local Pontiac dealer has deplorable service. In the meantime, hopefully they make things right for you. A sit-down with the GM goes a long way, I had to do that when my new Volkswagen (back in '96, the car before the Alero) left me stranded for the 4th time.

I think I'm going to take a drive tonight.

Rich
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    Oldsman, I'm assuming when you refer to Mazdas as a "utility" you are referring to the 6.

However, noone who has ever driven the Miata MX-5 SE with a 6-speed down a twisty coastal road with the top down would ever describe the experience as "utilitarian"! No, you really can't compare the Intrigue with a Miata (I wouldn't want to be broadsided in one) but you can't call the Miata a utility. Even our friends here at Edmunds call the Miata "the best driving experience under $25,000".
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    On the gas gauge, as an owner of a 4-year-old Intrigue with 70K miles, my experience has been that the gauge stays above half for much longer than it does below half. I get about 320-40 or so miles to a tank, but the gauge stays above half for about 200 of that.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    The same with other current GM cars. Both 98 Malibu and 2000 Regal gas gauges are staying above "full" very long, something about till 2/3 of tank is left.

The tank volume must be 17 gallons or so, but the current GM cars need about 2 gallons for fuel pump to work properly. The "empty" lamp illuminates at about 4 gallons left, so usually I am filling up 10 to 12 gallons.