Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    A coworker has a late convertible, looks good but wow does it ever have the structural rigidity of a noodle with the rattles to match.
  • swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    A friend of mine has a '94. Although common perception is that a convertible is not a good daily driver, he says it's quite convenient. You can put really bulky things (like a box with a 21" computer monitor) in it.

GM could still make a chop-top of the Alero coupe if they had any interest in jazzing up the last Oldsmobiles... I think ASC makes the Chevy/Pontiac convertibles.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    While a nice-looking vehicle, I think these cars can be quite problematic. I run a mailing list for classic Oldsmobiles (i.e. Rocket V-8-era Oldses) but about once a month get a request from some owner of one of these looking for parts help. Apparently they have quite an appetite for weatherstrips, which are not available from GM, and have also been known to snap pieces of their top frames. Apparently no convertible-specific spare parts are available anywhere. Seems shocking for a car that is only approaching 10 years of age. I fear these may end being junked before their time because of this.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The Cutlass Supremes of the 90's were decent sedans but the convertibles were a nightmare from what I've heard. I would avoid the convertible completely.
    Argh, I just lugged one of these home (out of the box) last week. Those things seem to double in weight from the time you pick them up to the time you finally get them on your desk at home.
  • pgl1pgl1 Member Posts: 63
    I've just ordered front & rear STB's from SLP and will advise how they change the car's handling. I've also put BF Goodrich Touring TA HR4's on the car, and the car's grip and ride quality have certainly improved. I had 58,500 mi on the Eagle LS'.

Has anyone put on 17" rims from an Aurora on their Intrigue?
    Still rattling huh?? Not sure how you could miss those Detroit city roads. ;-)

Good to hear from ya.

-----------------

vcjumper : 21" monitor, nice. I am waiting for the 17" flat panels to come down some more. Still using my 10 year old 15" Acer.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Nice to hear you're still rattling around out there (pun intended!). We are at just about the same point with our Intrigue; mine has 64,000. Still burns no oil... has been trouble-free for about a year now (knock on wood). Mounted a set of chrome OEM wheels a while back. My wife always thought our black GL would look better; she was right! Did a simple brake job about 4 months ago... unnecessary. Pads still had thousands of miles left on them. No problems with the rotors at all; originals are still straight and true. Purchased a black 97 Dodge Dakota extended cab with the 5.2 V-8 about a month ago. I've been spending my time doing little things to it, so the Formula has been the garage queen of late. Crunched my shoulder installing a DynoMax Cat-Back system on the Dak yesterday. Guess I'm just getting old!
    Don't be a stranger!
  • mbergmberg Member Posts: 8
    I guess I should do my part during this slow time and actually post instead of just being a reader. I’ve had the 02 GL since Feb and so far so good. Well except for one annoying squeak. The “hood” of the instrument cluster rubs against whatever insulation is in it and sometime it just squeaks and squeaks. There a 2 screws up there so hopefully I can either tighten them or take that thing apart and fix it myself. On Sat I was cruising down the newly paved toll road with the AC on but it just wasn’t getting cold. I hated to slow down and fiddle with the controls (I’m still not familiar with them as I don’t drive this car much) as it isn’t often the IL roads are free from construction and traffic. Oh well, where would we be without crooked politicians, unions, the mob, and road construction companies – just one big happy family. Ok, where was I? Oh yeah. That darn climate control system defaults to outside air instead of re-circulate! It was a little better on re-circulate but still not as cold as I would expect from a new car.
    Get the a/c checked by your dealer. It should be ice cold.
    I work for a company that sells used computer equipment, so was able to get a 2000 model for <$200 CAD. My desk is sagging in the middle now though!

5wood: I'm sure the Intrigue is enjoying the change of roads!
    vcjumper : Deal! Any more left?

5wood : $650... ack! I backed into a parked car once, cost about the same but no damage to my car. Guy was illegally parked though.
    Sorry that was a special price since I work there... For others it is ~$350.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    Here's a pic of the Oldsmobile Rocket (TM) insignia relocation on the front of my Intrigue (2000 GX Forest Green/Mocha Interior). Sorry it's taken so long to post. I found out that we can order any exterior badging so I'll order an Alero rear rocket emblem and put it above Intrigue and post it then too. Over the weekend, I spotted a 2001 Indigo Neutral Intrigue with PCS, Bose, Sunroof, Chrome wheels GL. I test drove it. I'm positive they softened the suspension for 2001. I was seriously thinking about buying it but some other people snatched it up. $17,900 I thought was kinda pricey for a 2001. Even so, it seemed pretty well put together and had a lot of features I'd like (mostly PCS). Anyway, here's the pic:

• lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    How'd you get it off the hood without damaging the paint?
    Good Question. It looks good down there, but I'd be scared to do something like that.

Our Alero has the rocket on both ends and it would look good on the Intrigue. Where will you place it?
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I've got the rattling sound coming from the front end now. I had the intermediate steering shaft replaced a long time ago, but the sound I was hearing then was more of a popping when turning corners. Anyone have ideas what the rattling is? It is really only noticeable when going over bumps.

I've got a 600+ mile trip to Florida tomorrow. I'm glad I got the Dunlop SP Sport A2's put on, they are so much more quiet than the Goodyears. They should make for a very comfortable trip.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Yep, you've got it. When I took mine in for that problem the service manager asked me if I heard a popping sound along with the giggling.
    I'm wondering if you don't do that early in the car's life, if you will have a different shade of paint where you remove the emblem.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    I know there has been a continuing discussion of things one can do to enhance the suspension of the Intrigue. Hadn't paid much attention before cause I was leasing a 98. Since I bit the bullet and bought a 2002 GL, I am now a lot more critical of the underpinnings of the car, and it does seem to exhibit more sway, nose-dive and road harshness than the 98.

Has there been any kind of concensus as to the types of mods that are most effective and the sequence in which to apply them?

Do you dump the Eagles first?

What is the best shock for the car?

Are sway bars and strut towers really that big a deal, and when do you go to that mod? ie first, after the shocks, etc...

TIA
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    In general, the newer models do better - but not always. Case in point: 2002 Camry. See http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/06/25/camry-crash-test.htm
    I am shocked that Toyota would screw that up. The car's looks leave a lot to be desired so this could hurt sales.
    Put on a rear stb, GM part number 12456148 from the dealer(F Bar kit), for $20 you will be surprised. You may have to ream out one of the holes on each side.

Its too bad Intrigue now shares its suspension parts with Minivans. Sure is sporting of GM.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    let's see, my car was almost two years old when it was moved (manufactured 11/99 and this was done in July or August of 2001). And there's no lighter look on the paint. But I bet if you waited ten years maybe that'd happen. For awhile there was a ghost marking of the original but it was only visible to me. I had my bro who is a mechanic do it. You'd be surprised how easily it comes off. I bet you could do it with a credit card. Then there's some stuff he sprayed on to release the glue gum. Then he put a backing on it and I had to cut it all out with a razor blade then affix it to the new location. As you can see, it really completes the front end. I'll put the rear rocket emblem right above INTRIGUE. I've measured and think there's just enough room. The glue backing will need to be thick to accommodate the curvature. I think the one on the new Bravadas is even smaller so I might try it instead. I'll need to measure them all. If I could find someone to make me an OLDSMOBILE moniker in the Intrigue font, I'd put it underneath the license plate. But I doubt I could find anyone to do this, so I'll probably just get rid of the small (puny) Oldsmobile on the back.

In regards to suspension enhancements, I'd first go with new tires, then add the front and rear strut tower braces. I replaced both sway bars and found that they didn't work (they made creaking noises). I sold the front sway and kept the rear sway and I think it's a good balance. I still have both strut tower braces and the next level rear sway.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My old dealer got in a 500 car the other day.
    The price for the anniversary option is $2315.
    This particular car is a GL without PCS.

Very sharp looking, especially the wheels.
    They are chrome 17s from the Aurora.

Lots of insignias inside with darker grey perforated leather inserts.

Total price was over 28K.

A nice car, but PCS would be mandatory.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    We've been in the 90s here the past several days and I've been able to put the A/C to the test. System seems to blow cold air and lots of it(high blows like a hurricane) but the system is a bit slow to cool the interior down. Probably has something to do with mine being black with a dark grey interior. After 7PM or so when the sun is not so intense, the system cools very quickly so I think it is probably just the issue of the intense sun rays. I plan on getting the windows tinted soon anyway so we'll see if this helps. What I've noticed on alot of newer cars is the A/C systems rely on a high velocity of air flow to cool the car. On my old 89 Olds Touring Sedan, the air-conditioner would cool the car down on a medium fan speed setting and even when it was on high, it didn't blow with the force the Intrigue(or other cars) did. Of coarse the compressor on that car was huge as was the HVAC module which was mounted under the hood against the firewall rather than inside the car as is the case with new vehicles. I've never had a car that cooled as well as that one did. It could be parked in the hot summer sun all afternoon and within 20 minutes of starting it up, the interior was cool. And that thing used to drain a river of condesate water after you parked. I had numerous people tell me my car was leaking coolant when all it was doing was pouring A/C condesate.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'm not sure if I had posted or not, but last week the dealer service people called and scheduled me to come in and they would fix the dent and scratch and paint spotting. Took the car in yesterday and specifically asked the service advisor if they were going to repair both the dent and paint spotting. He assured me they would. Didn't hear anything back from them all day so I kept their wonderful loaner( a 95 Olds Ninety-Eight Regency this time) overnight. When I got up this morning and turned on my cell phone, I had a voice mail message waiting and it was them telling me the car was ready. When I got there I looked the car over the the dent was gone. If I looked closely I could see a little bit where the scratch in the paint was though. Unlike last time, this car was clean today and looked as though the finish had been buffed. The spotting was also gone, but running my hand across the finish I could still feel the roughness, though not as bad as before. I didn't say anything to them and left. Took the car to a full service car wash again and had the exterior washed and detailed and while it certainly looks and feels better than when I got it back before, the surface still feels rough and when looking at it closely there are tiny particles still there. Furthermore, there are a couple of small chips in the paint on the hood that I don't recall seeing before, although I can't swear they were not there. And in the sunlight after washing, there seemed to be alot of noticeable swirl marks. At this point, I don't think I even want those people to even touch my car again as every time they have it, a scratch or chip seems to show up. I'm going to try and give the car a good wax job this weekend as it needed one anyway and see if that helps. So for all my trouble, I'm not completely satisfied with how the dealer has remedied this situation, but at this point I truly don't think they ever will. The service department there just has no comprehension of what customer service or "complete satisfaction" is and I really do not want them to touch the car again.
    oldsman: Your story is unreal. Glad it's all over.

b4z : Final 500 is one expensive option. While it's cool, I think I would have to pass and spend that $2315 adding PCS and a power roof. Oh well, I'm sure there are collectors that will buy. I guess the conversion for 2004 Malibus will be starting soon at the Kansas plant. I heard today Grand Prix production is moving to Oshawa in the fall for spring release.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    ...I'd suggest using a clay bar to get some of the contaminants out of the paint. I'd then suggest obtaining some 3M Swirl Mark Remover (from an automotive paint supply place) and using it to reduce the marks and scratches from your paint. 3M makes 2 different kinds, one for light-colored cars, the other for dark-colored. See http://www.autopia-carcare.com/3mperfectit.html for more info.

I recently did the clay bar + swirl mark remover (twice, by hand, i.e. no orbital polisher) on my black '98 Aurora, which my dealer "detailed" (i.e. scratched) w/o my knowledge when the car was in for a week for an A/C compressor replacement. I then used Zaino's Z-5 and Z-2 products http://www.zainobros.com to help hide what remaining scratches there were, and bring out the shine. Zaino stuff is polymer-based and amazing, and, after you use it, you'll never go back to wax again (Z usually lasts 6+ months, and, though a bear to prepare, is easy to maintain once the base is on). Enough on that - there's a forum on Zaino in the Maintenance and Repair section here if you want to find out more.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal,

--Robert
    Also, the FINAL 500 does not have the body color rocker moulding, like the show car had.
    It is black like all the others.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    I agree. Should have PCS. I think the higher ratio tranny would add to the appeal of the car, not just looks.

Rocker moulding-- looks like GM still wants to dumb down what they show the public, even on something as small as the moulding. I suspect the '04 Grand Prix will not hit production looking the same as the pictures they have been using to garner interest. GM needs to take a lesson from Chrysler. A large part of their comeback was because their concept cars came into production almost untouched (completely untouched in some cases like the PT Cruiser and Prowler). So what you got from the dealer was what was at the car show.
    one2one : Has Chrysler had a comeback? ;-)

b4z : Do you or anyone know if anything can be done with the black rocker moulding? Mine is so hard to clear and an has marks all over it I can't get out. I wish I could cover it up some how.
    Thanks for the info. What type of mounting bracket does the F Body STB use; is it Y-shaped (like the one advertised @ slponline.com, circular (like the one made by BMR Fabrication) or merely one slot for mounting on the center strut tower bolts like zzperformance's?
    This is it:

SLP OEM bar

If you buy from ZZP, it comes with this bar and brackets, so that drilling is not required for front installation. Using the bar alone in the back, no drilling is required, and you only use one hole on each side.

Since many of you have obviously addressed this issue, what would be your advice as to which of the fixes most addresses the road harshness.

This thing passes everything through. Since the shocks seem soft already (nose dive), I dont think this is a function of stiffness.

The wife is complaining mightily about the ride. Need to address that before the handling issues.

In my experience, Eagles have been crap tires. Anybody tried this route?
    Interesting; thanks. SLP is located about 20 minutes from my office, so I drove down there earlier in the week and picked up the other STB's they have. I plan to install them this weekend, however, I'm concerned that the elongated slots will allow the bolts on the strut towers to slip and therefore defeat the purpose of having the braces. Yesterday, I found the STB depicted at www.bmrfabrication.com/stb/W-stb.jpg which appears to be a far superior design.
    At around 50 - 55K mi I noticed a substantial loss of ride quality and handling. Body lean increased dramatically, and impacts with broken road surfaces transmitted much greater forces into the cabin than they had previously.

At 58K mi, I have just replaced the OEM S speed rated Eagle LS's with H rated BF Goodrich Touring TA HR4's that I bought through the Tirerack. They are quieter, have significantly improved the ride quality (the Eagles were almost bald), and most importantly provide a lot more grip. Others who frequent this site have been very pleased with the Dunlop D60 A2 with JBL (which BTW I had on my '96 Mustang and also recommend). They are an excellent tire for the price. (It's a Consumer Reports Best Buy but according to CR is not as good as the Goodrich's in the snow). I had a tough time deciding between these two tires, but a BF Goodrich rebate program proved to be the deciding factor.

As for struts, a lot of people around here have been very pleased with the Monroe Sensatracs that they've had installed (often by Sears). I spoke to an engineer at Delphi (the company who makes the OEM struts), and he claims that the OEM's were designed and tested to last 100K mi, but I do not agree. I will probably replace mine soon with the OEM Delphi's (GM calls them Reacteks) given that there are no Bilstein or Koni applications. Others have used another GM grade of strut called Road Response Silver ("RRS"), but I do not plan to use those because they are also used in softer riding GM cars and mini vans. However, you may want to look into the RRS's depending on how much comfort you're after.

Hope this helps.
    I have 205,000 miles on my original camaro struts. They started leaking about 10,000 miles ago.

The rear shocks are bilsteins from the factory and are fine.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I have now owned my 2000GL for two months and 2000 miles. I am delighted. We have had 90+ days with high humidity, and the A/C performance has been good. Better than the 2000GL loaner I had last year when my Cutlass was in for service. Which leads me to think, the loaner's A/C wasn't performing as it should. Since the elimination of R-12 freon I have not experienced the ICE COLD air that I used to have in previous GM cars. My '89 Seville and my mother's '78 Olds 98 would do a meat freezer proud. I will say that the A/C in the Intrigue is stronger and colder than my mother's '98 Aurora. Did I mention we are still an Olds family? My parents have a '95 Cutlass Ciera bought new and currently has less than 55000 miles, and a '98 Aurora w/autobahn/sunroof (which both parents love),my in-laws a '96 88 Royale, and ofcourse my '00GL. One benefit of Intrigue ownership is low insurance rates. According to my insurance company, the Intrigue GL is a symbol 10, which is low. My '96 Mazda Millenia L was a symbol 17! Ouch! Summer's here, enjoy!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

205K! That's incredible! I only wish there was an application for the current generation W-Body platform. A while back I installed Koni's in my old 280 ZX, and they were great.

For those of you who have upgraded sway bars, what brand did you use?
    Has anyone installed this? If so, how did it turn out?
    Thanks for the response re road harshness.

I live in Arizona, so snow handling is not an issue, and I was looking at the Dunlops.

You say you dealt with Tirerack.

How did care for their service?

How do they ship? What kind of fees are involved with shipping?
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Those BMR braces sure do look well designed. Do you know how much they want for them? Also, wouldn't the front bar interfere with the p/s line (3.5 engine)?
    Has anyone installed this? If so, how did it turn out?
    So far one 2one and 5wood have installed Pilots on their intrigues. I have Pilots on the IROC and the first thing I noticed is that the tires seem to fill the wheel wells better. It's a good look.

KYB's are popular with NY cab driver's as they seem to last forwever.
    Tirerack had the best prices I could find; they beat Sam's club by $5 US a tire. The quality of service was excellent; they were courteous, ship very quickly, and you can track your order on their website. Keep an eye on their current promotions, as the various manufacturers cycle through the rebate programs every few months. Shipping to NJ via UPS ground cost an additional $31, but Goodrich gave me a $50 rebate.

BTW, echoing what some of the others have said, Michelins are definitely superior to both Dunlops and Goodrichs, but nearly twice the price.
    Thanks for the info; I hope to make the mod very soon. What do you think of their cold air intake system?
    A set of red or black front and rear bars will run $249.95; other colors are available at additional cost. UPS ground costs about $16 US, and UPS 3 day about $29.

I exchanged e-mails with customer service which responded quickly and courteously. They advised that they have not installed the braces on an Intrigue, so they couldn't speak as to fit. However, they said that they will take them back and refund my money if they don't fit, as long as I don't scratch the mounting bracket's surface by tightening down the bolts. I have the 3.8, so I can't help you re: the fit on a 3.5.

I plan to return the STBs I got from SLP and use the credit towards the catback exhaust system.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Well, the car is now 3 weeks old and has 1111 miles on it (I put on all but the first 22). Still like it as much as the first day I drove it off the lot!

The only thing I hate is the Eagle LS tires. What crap! The RSAs on my Alero were better, though not by much. I've never had such squealy tires, it's like riding with stuck pigs. I understand that most OEM tires aren't that great, but if I were Goodyear I would be ashamed to put my name on these things. Aftermarket Goodyear tires could be the greatest things ever, but I'm not going to take that chance. Just call me the Michelin Man's best friend.

I continue to be astounded by the huge gas tank. I don't think the gas gauge has gone below 1/2 yet - I find myself going to the gas station to pick up a pop or whatever, and fill up just because I'm there. What a refreshing change from my v6 Alero.

I'm glad I didn't wait for the "Final 500", it sounds like those cars are kind of a letdown. I paid $18.5 OTD for my base GL, to pay $2k+ more and not even get PCS would be a rip. It's too bad, but for a car that is selling like it is, I guess I can't blame them.
    ..the oldest marque in the industry was killed by this kind of marketing incompetence.

Consider this the last thing they can possibly FU on the Intrigue.

And you are dead on about the Goodyears also.

These superannuated sweetheart deals between car and tire makers doesn't serve the consumer well at all.

Ford learned the hard way.

And the 2002 is one sweet car, Eagles notwithstanding...