Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• phairphairphairphair Member Posts: 39
    "Crappy Toyota trim"?

Just curious, what are you comparing it too?

You seem pretty pessimistic about Toyota quality...why did you buy one?
  • dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    Saw someone post whether toyota incentives will go up. I have no inside information, but logic dictates that incentives have to go up for the following reasons: last year they continued to get better and last year's market was much better than this years. 2) The economy is horrible and only so many people can shell out the serious money these vans cost 3) Toyota introduces a new and improved Sienna in 2010 model year, that will force Toyota to sell the current Sienna's more quickly. Once the new design comes out, it will make moving the older ones much harder requiring greater icentives 4) Honda currently has 2200 in incentives, as Honda pushes down its price, it will force Toyota to do the same.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Are you serious? Toyota's trim is some of the worst among the imports. The layout is bad (have you taken a look at the Honda lately?) but the quality of the plastics, c'mon, awful... I've had quite a few starting with a fancy Corolla during my college years, then the Camry, and most recently the Highlander Limited and now the Sienna LE. I'm very gentle with my cars, try to keep them for a long time and, no, the one year old Sienna still looks new; my kids treat it well. Just wait a couple of years once the handles start breaking and you'll see the gaps growing. I don't need that for the next 7-10 years or the broken AC compressor like in the Highlander right out of the warranty. I also read lots of the reviews (too bad siennaclub.org is gone now) and, yes, the electric door breaks quite often. For $700 I can have a peace of mind and the best van on the road. Why would I buy anything else?
  • eddieraseddieras Member Posts: 49
    thanks for the info- i have decided to roll the dice and see if March will be greater incentives - i also learned that March is the end of toyota's fiscal year so i'm hoping that may help as well. thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    If they are truly so horrible why do you keep coming back to Toyota, and repeatedly at that?

Obviously they have other strengths compelling enough that you overlook those flaws again and again.

Sienna CE models starts at just over $20k, so for the size and space you get, plus the wonderful powertrain, I'm not sure how much more it would be fair to expect from an interior quality standpoint.

I'd argue it's about average, no better no worse. Check out a Suzuki or a Hyundai Entourage and you'll agree the Sienna's interior is a step up from those.

Maybe if you spend close to $40 grand on a loaded AWD Limited, then perhaps you get in to price territory where competitors use nicer materials, but you'll give up other things. A lot of other things - HIDs, laser cruise control, AWD, etc.

To me, the Ody is roughly the same - the notable difference being Honda uses less insulation so road noise is more pronounced. That gives the edge to Toyota, IMHO.
  • phairphairphairphair Member Posts: 39
    So, you're comparing it to the Honda? We chose the Sienna over the Odyssey in large part because of the better ergonomics. Trim quality has never been an issue, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else to agree with you.

Quality of the plastics? Most of the interior plastic components come from the same plants utilized by Lexus. I learned this from a Lexus employee, by the way.

I drove a 2002 Camry to 180K miles with absolutely no quality issues.

Again, why do you keep buying Toyotas if you think the trim is poor quality? Are you some sort of masochist?
  • carolynbecarolynbe Member Posts: 3
    At Miller Toyota in Anaheim, California - Just traded in our 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L with DVD Rear Entertainment System for a 2009 Sienna XLE with the following:
    - Blizzard Pearl with Beige Leather
    - Emissions package, JBL Premium Audio with Bluetooth, 17" Alloy Wheels, Fog Lamp/DRLights, Special Color, EVP #3 (leather, moonroof, DVD, 115v outlets), Towing Prep, Parking Assist, Floor Mat Package (FE, EJ, AW, LF, PC, QJ, TO WO)

MSRP: $34,270 Fleet Price of $28,988 which includes the $1500 rebate (excludes tax, license, doc fee)

We had a VERY hard time finding an XLE, particularly outfitted with the DVD. The dealer had to negotiate with several other dealers before he found one willing to make a trade. It seems that most Toyota dealers here had lots of CEs, LEs, and maybe one Limited. It seems very odd that the dealers wouldn't stock more of these since the Odyssey EX-L RES is very popular here in Orange County.
  • anna9anna9 Member Posts: 4
    You did a great job. That's a cool van. Family oriented
    Not sure why I'm getting all this negative feedback for stating that the car is imperfect - some need to relax a little... It's still the best van as I've always said (beats the Hyundai, Honda's tranny or walking) and I'd be afraid of others that are not as good-looking, fast, or dependable. $700 for extended warranty to cover likely trim, electric door, and AC issues (items terribly overpriced to fix) fits my bill and my situation. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks.
  • jms8090jms8090 Member Posts: 30
    Can someone please tell me where they are getting the extra $500 on the rebate, as I thought that there is only a 1k incentive currently? Are you military or recent college grad? Or, is there another "hidden" factory to dealer incentive that I am not seeing? I realize that the incentives will change next week, so I am hoping to find a better finance deal other than the 0%/36 months deal. I was hoping for something like 1.9/2.9 for 5 years instead and of course the rebate as well. Thanks.
  • easternguy2easternguy2 Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

I have offer for either a XLE option #3 at $27,500 or a option #2 at $26500. Only other cost is $250 doc fee + tax. I am leaning towards the option #2 to save 1k, and buy aftermarket headrest DVD's. Best interest rate I can get is 4.69% with almost 800 on my credit score. What do you think of this deal? With the state of the economy I am trying to be very careful. Would have considered a demo or 1 year old with less than 12k miles, but they are impossible to find. Price would need to be $21k as well, since we might get tax refunded on new car purchase in 2009. Anyone getting better interest rates, or have opinion on what incentives March will have for Sienna? I have to sign tomorrow to get the $1200 incentives currently offered. Thanks
    where are you - i got a quote for xle with tow, mats, fog lights, alloy wheels, and option 3 for $27944 - i was really only interested in option 1 and mats -
    also got a quote of $26,500 with #1 and mats and with tow too-(evidently common in chicago)

i'm taking a gamble that March will bring better incentives
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • dsmking1dsmking1 Member Posts: 16
    3.99% at Penfed. Mentioned in this thread few times. easy to become member. Good luck
  • hongjihongji Member Posts: 1
    Just got my XLE AWD limited ( with HID, #2, TO, CF, ....):

-- MSRP: 41435.00
    -- 20% off: - 8287.00 = 33148.00
    -- Trade in my 2001 4WD 88K miles highlander for 9000.00 ( above kelly blue book private party trade-in price) == 24148.00
    -- Adding all other fees include TAX. the out-door price paid: 25000.00

This is in Milford Toyota. I got this price in 20 minutes, if I kept bargaining, I might got another 500.00 off. But, I believe this is the best price and they have to make money.

Anyone got better than this?
  • wildetoyotawildetoyota Member Posts: 5
    It seems like logic is on your side. However, Toyota has scaled back production. This will in turn reduce inventory, which will create higher demand.

One thing Toyota does not want to do is lower the value of their cars. This, in the long run, hurts the customers by devalueing their trades in the future.Toyota is not necessarily one to follow the pack. But look for it tomorrow morning. The programs will be changing, and going down $250 tomorrow. The rebate will be $1,000 on the Sienna - and there will no longer be a lease special.
  • tradermomtradermom Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I found a used 2007 CE for 18,900 (plus $1000 for a 75k warranty)
    it has been upgraded with leather and a DVD (aftermarket) player.
    I am thinking of offering 18,900 total. I would appreciate some feedback.
    Also anyone have any experience with a good dealership in Tampa Florida would love to hear from you.
    Thanks,
    Tradermom
    How many miles?

Figure it's probably depreciated about 30% or so by now (depending upon the mileage). A new one is what, $21k or so? Add a grand for the leather, maybe $1500 if it's all 3 rows. Add another grand for the DVD player.

So 70% of $23,500 works out to $16,450.

I think the price is high.

If it has less than 15k miles, then maybe, but 20k+ miles it's overpriced. Just buy new if it's that close.
    thanks - where are you located and what can you do for the same car but with EVP #3 ?
    thanks!
  • tradermomtradermom Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the response. I agree, I just offered 15,500 including the warranty but was turned down flat. The mileage is 14,000. Checking KBB I found that 15,500 is a fair price for the car,but the seller doesn't agree, well that is life.
    Need to find a good inexpensive Toyota Sienna so I will keep looking for new or slightly used.
    tradermom
  • max54max54 Member Posts: 2
    >>The rebate will be $1,000 on the Sienna - and there will no longer be a lease special.

Then for those of us on the fence between the Odyssey and the Sienna, our decision just got a little easier.
    Unfortunately for Toyota, I don't think there is much demand out there right now and scaling back cars is not going to help significantly. Also, I wonder if scaling back the cars does not have more to do with preparing to release the 2010 than with scaling back production.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Toyota to decrease the incentives, but then increase the volume discount that the dealers get (like Nissan did with various vehicles and Mazda did with CX 9 last year).

This way, it allows for the dealers to make more money while seemingly giving cars away at a profit.

Finally, Max, I agree with you. If the Odyssey and Toyota are roughly the same price, I am going to ultimately buy the Honda. Toyota is definitely good, but the only think holding me back from the Odyssey is the price tag.
  • diggerdavediggerdave Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I'm looking to find the best price on a Sienna LE w/ EVP #2 or #3 in the Massachusetts/Boston area. I'm willing to travel a bit to get the best deal, any ideas? What should I expect to pay for this in the Boston area. Any info would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks,
    David
  • tomn3tomn3 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought used here in Florida and did not see anything close to 30% off. In fact very few used Sienna's were available. Especially Certified. I bought an LE with the power package in Melbourne for $19, 250. That's around 20% off new from what I can tell. I was desperate and they were not going to budge. I missed a few in Orlando in the $18500 range but nothing of quality below that. I had the last van(Odyssey) for 10 years, 161k miles.
    Also, got the Platinum Warranty, 7/100k, $0 Deductible for $1000.
  • anna9anna9 Member Posts: 4
    27000.00 is the best for this including tax and other exp. I bought the LE 2009 8 seated with the same features included a DVD player. I paid for 27200.00. It's in Cleveland, OH.
  • lzhianlzhian Member Posts: 5
    Hi Dave,
    I just bought a 09 Sienna LE AWD with EVP#2 for 25200. If you are not into AWD, I would guess $3000 less than that. I'm in Boston area. BTW. :D
  • diggerdavediggerdave Member Posts: 3
    Wow...that's great. If you don't mind my asking, which dealership did you end up going to?
    What is the OTD price and the tax %?. I was offered $25,100.00 OTD for LE with 8 passenger with evp#2, CF, AL, and RL. It is 6% tax and $180. ttl. I am in MD. This is in couple of dealerships
    anna9, what was the msrp on your LE?
    I was just thinking... with the recent peso plunge to 15.34/$ and likely getting even worse, Toyota's prices (and especially Sienna's) are getting very attractive south of the border:

http://www.toyota.com.mx/modelos_specs/sienna/interior_sienna2.aspx

For example, a loaded Limited comes out to $32K including tax before any discounts...

Since it's American-made, it should be pretty straightforward to bring the Sienna to the States...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Since it's American-made, it should be pretty straightforward to bring the Sienna to the States...

Doesn't matter where it's made... Mexican market models likely don't have the same regulations to adhere to (emissions, crash testing, etc..).. I doubt they would be acceptable for import, without expensive modifications..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I must disagree - it's the same identical car coming out of Indiana.

Here's more info for those interested - It looks easy:
    http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    How do you know it's identical?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• bhoward99bhoward99 Member Posts: 27
    Apparently the Southeast region for Toyota has NO
    Sienna XLE Limited, FWD, with the following
    options, available
    Blizzard Pearl
    Taupe Leather
    CF - Carpet Floor Mats/Door Sill Protector
    HZ - Cruise Control and HID Headlamps
    QL - XLE Limited Extra Value Package #2
    TH - Power Folding 3rd Row Seats

I am in NC and finding a Sienna Limited with
    the HZ option is the main problem.

Has anyone close to NC seen a Sienna Limited in this color with these options ?

I am using using carsdirect.com to try an locate one, but they
    will have to go outside the region probably to find one.
    Or else I am stuck ordering something directly from Toyota.

Thanks
    Too bad your not by me. I bought a XLE opt 2 and the dealer had loads of the limiteds on the lot. Tons. Classic Toyota in Mentor OH I got my XLE opt 2 for 26,799 plus doc fee & taxes.
  • bhoward99bhoward99 Member Posts: 27
    I am originally from Columbus, and called a dealership in Columbus to see if they had any Sienna's with the HZ option, the guy had 3 of them on the lot.

I spoke to a salesman at one of the dealerships here in NC, and he said that it was not a highly requested option, and it was more of trying to hold down the price of the van.

It must be a SE regional thing.
    Herb Chamber Boston
    I paid 5% tax, $289 doc fee and $89 for new title. That all the extra I paid on top of the 25200.
  • peterjunpeterjun Member Posts: 2
    The latest quotes in SF Bay area I've been getting is $30,500 after $1,000 rebate. Is this reasonable? I'm wondering if I have to do a face-to-face with these dealers to get a lower price rather than over email.
    Wouldn't you lose the warranty, at a minimum?
    well, i rolled the dice thinking i'd get a better incentive - oh well! Got a quote for a XLE FWD, with Option 3 (DVD), Mats, Fog/deicer, Alloy, and tow for $28,039 - what'd you guys think?
    also - does mentioning you'll give them an excellent rating on the Consumer Satisfaction Survey really work in negotiations?
    That's probably true. I wonder how it works out for the Canadians. A lot of them buy their Siennas in the States.
    Anyone else surprised that Toyota kept their incentives at 1,000.00? While I like the Sienna, if I can get the Oddyssey at the same price, I will go with the Odyssey (I like the way it drives, the leather, and the extra storage more).

Have Siennas been selling that well? Or does anyone know if Toyota is to larger Volume deals to dealers?
    i agree- i took a chance hoping the incentives would go up - but no. then i hear the news last nite that toyota had a horrible 1st 2 months of the year. i don't get it either.
    i haven't seen the honda in person - i've done side by side online - but looked like it was more expensive. i also didn't see any incentives - am i missing something??
  • CTRollCTRoll Member Posts: 8
    You hit the nail on the head.I am one of those fence sitters but was happy to go for a Toyota because of the lower price. Now that Honda has the better incentives I will probably go with them being the Odyssey was my original choice.

My third option is to sit on the sidelines which may be the best option of all.

I am not sure what Toyota is thinking with their incentives.
  • xphstosxphstos Member Posts: 1
    Was wondering what price is everyone paying over invoice for the car. I went to a delearship today and the best they told me they could do was 2000 over invoice. Which seemed really high, The TMV shows a price of only about 500 over invoice. Which I think is a fair price. I paid that on the last car I got, so was surprised that they wanted 2000 over invoice for a toyota. Also, I am in the Northeast CT/NY if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance.
  • aan1234aan1234 Member Posts: 31
    I was offered invoice minus rebate ($24200) on the spot after Sienna test drive about 3 weeks ago. 2009 8-pass LE VP2 (QF) + DRL(DL) + mats(CF), MSRP $27725, invoice $25687, rebate $1500. Arizona.

I think I could do better. There is 2009 CE in a local ad for ~$1500 under invoice and minus rebate.
  • longboat2008longboat2008 Member Posts: 18
    Where did you find Honda's incentive? I couldn't find it in the Edmund's incentives section. Is it a regional thing?
    That same LE with all options you mentioned plus 16" AL is advertised at 22590 after rebate in MD.
  • honda_toyotahonda_toyota Member Posts: 1
    Can you please tell me the dealer? It is very good deal. From Leesburg Toyota I got following deal.

"The selling price is $24,267.00 plus taxes, tags, freight, appearance protection package, and processing fee. This is including the rebate.(without DVD) - bad deal

For Darcars "Our Internet price today for a 2009 Sienna LE 8 passenger package 2, with a DVD entertainment system added is $25,860 plus tax/tags and $100 processing fee, after rebate. This includes freight." - Not good deal