Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fvpfvp Member Posts: 147
    We bought the same color combination on Tuesday and I agree with you - it looks great!
    We took a short trip [about 130 miles] today and the van drives beautifully. This was the first opportunity I've had to spend a long time behind the wheel. We drove through a driving rainstorm for much of the trip and I was very impressed with the Toyota. We struggled on deciding between a couple of manufactures before settling on the Sienna and I am certain we made the right choice. This is everything I was looking for in a new car.
    ssrieder - check out kjs5's deal. You can do it!
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    seems odd to me that someone says they "love color", and then proceeds to get a white car. i cannot understand the allure of the color white. it's not even a color-- isn't it the ABSENCE of color? to me if someone buys a white car, it's because they couldn't decide on a color. am i nuts?
    Yes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    White's a color! I like white cars myself, but routinely get outvoted around the homestead. They don't tend to show dirt much either.

Steve, Host
    The Sienna is my wifes and she picked the white. I think it looks great.
    You are right - it does not show the dirt as much as a darker color. We just traded in a Honda Accord that was a dark red color. It looked nice when it was clean, but when dirty you could see it a mile away and every scratch stood out. I'm looking forward to the white.
  • kjs5kjs5 Member Posts: 5
    I meant to say "I love THE color".
    Then you got exactly what you wanted :-)

Congrats on the new ride, KJS5!

Steve, Host
  • kjs5kjs5 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, I am very happy with the car. I posted this on another forum, but wondering if any of the people i've been talking to have a solution for this.

I just got my Sienna yesterday and been playing around with the radio station selector on the steering wheel.

I can't believe when you press up and down on the buttons that it scans through the radio stations instead of going to the next preset.

That's the way it works on my Honda Accord. Any way to do this or am I stuck having the scan?

The point of having the feature on the steering wheel is so that you don't have to look down at the radio display. This way, I have to keep looking down to figure out where it's scanning to.
  • ssriederssrieder Member Posts: 7
    Long story short...Saturday we picked up our 2003 Symphony with Skid control, power sliding passenger door, side airbags, tow package, and bumper guard. Ended up making a 2 hour drive to get it - both dealers in my immediate area were pretty slimey. In the end got exactly the vehicle we wanted, $300 under invoice (before rebate). Didn't completely 'steal' it from the dealer. They got some (although, not much ;) ) money and we got a great deal. There wasn't really any "negotiation", sales manager made the offer right up front. Possibly could have squeezed a few more pennies out, but c'mon, they have to make a living too. Plus, everyone at the dealership was fantastic. It was nice to see the stereotypes of car dealers isn't 100% true (just 99.9%).

fvp - Your bargaining position seems to be that you were going after every penny the dealer could make on the car. That's great that you made it work for you! One question, did you trade a car?

The good thing about buying away from home was my wife got to spend a couple hours getting comfortable driving the new van without me in it telling her to watch out for every other car, pothole, stone, etc.

BTW, thanks Sean - we love it!
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    I just printed out what you posted and gave it to Sean. I'm the one that had noticed your posts and passed the info along to George and Sean. Glad it worked out.

Enjoy your Sienna !!!

Steve
    I think your deals sounds very good - way to go. We took our van on a 2 hour trip over the weekend and loved everything about it.
    By the way, I didn't beat the guy up to the last penny - that was not my intention at all. I wanted to develop good long-term relations with the dealership, and that was accomplished. I think there was a few more dollars he could have come down, but I was satisfied overall.
    The reason I approached the dealer the way I did was to eliminate the BS of going back and forth with endless negotiations. That, to me, leads to animosity and bad feelings. That didn't happen with me and, it seems, to you.
    Enjoy and keep us updated!
    No trade involved.
  • dododede2003dododede2003 Member Posts: 3
    The dealer charged me $ 23,990 for the Sienna CE that came with the Captain Seat options, and they also gave my 95 Ford Windstar a trade-in $ 3,500 ( 79K miles, has transmission problem).
    Did I overpaid?
    This dealership also forced me to pay $1K for 3 years of Extended Warranty (Actual costs $ 550).
    So beware of Bayside Toyota (NYC).
    If you are having buyer's remorse about the extended warranty, I understand that they are cancellable.

And you probably got more for your Windstar that you could have sold it for yourself.

Enjoy the new ride!

Steve, Host
  • buyer0307buyer0307 Member Posts: 2
    Just closed on a deal to purchase and LE Symphony for approx $22,300 - after discounts and rebates.
    This was from a dealer in Tysons Corner, VA. Seems that the dealers have some wiggle room to discount below the cashback AND advertised dealer discounts - no matter what the sales guy initially protests.
    Basically, the MSRP was $28,283 and the initial offer was $5000 below this (incl $1500 cashback).
    The figures get rubbery - since the Cashback amount applies AFTER sales taxes and fees/charges are applied. Also cashback is not offered with financing - not for this dealer anyway.
    Anyway, reality is that there are dead keen to clear this model out before the new 2004 model arrives in 2 weeks time.
    I had a trade - so that weakened my power somewhat - but still all up considered I got a fair trade (eventually). Mind you, it took 3 hours to get the trade price upped by $3000.
    And beware - the MSRP is BEFORE Dealer Delivery and Processing Fees. These add over $800 to the price. So take care there. Not false advertising - they are just being "forgetful" shall we say.
    And the guy who paid over $23,000 for a CE model - yes you got ripped it seems, unfortunately.
  • buyer0307buyer0307 Member Posts: 2
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention to my message #891 that the dealer seemed happier to shift a Symphony optioned LE than an LE. The had cleared all XLEs and had like one CE. But after bargaining for hours on an LE, I switched the deal to a Symphony (after the better tyres and wheels really) and closed in minutes. So advise looking a a Symphony - about $1400 extra than an optioned LE since the extras seem good value if you plan to own for 4 years or so. And the Symphony had side air bags optioned - nice touch.
    We paid $1,000 more for our Symphony than you. We had a few additional options that moved our MSRP to $28,900 but you did better than I did.
    Congratulations and I'll tell you that after a week of driving the van, we love it.
    Glad we chose Toyota.
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    With deep discounts on the '03 Sienna (about 5-6K off MSRP), is it a steal when compared to the new '04 Sienna. I know they made improvements, but are the improvements worth paying $4K or $5K more?
  • x10guyx10guy Member Posts: 15
    Was debating between a Symphony or a LE with EV package. In the end I got a 2003 Sienna Symphony with Running board for $22,800 after rebates. MSRP was $28,933 (Option codes FE, TO, AJ, BE, SP, R1, Z1). Didn't really have to haggle at all. Probably could have done better if I haggled more... :(
    Does anyone know if the LE (with EV package) is much cheaper?

Beginning to have 2004 envy (especially since the 04's are going to be about $1000 average cheaper) but the 04 just won't fit into our small garage (a absolute requirement by my wife)
    And someone else is always going to get a better deal or be a bit richer (unless you're Bill Gates), but at that price, they're not going to do much better than you. Heck, I paid $22.8 four+ years ago for my base Quest.

The garage issue is very real though; my smallish Quest barely fits in our "standard" two car garage, but it's getting so there's very few "compact" van options left anymore.

Congrats on the new Sienna!

Steve, Host
    My purchase prompted a close friend to go out and get one today, and he got a killer deal - 2003 Sienna LE Symphony for $21,888 after rebates. The only difference between mine is that his does not have the running board.
  • lucas33lucas33 Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 2003 CE , HX, TO for 21600, Dealer also threw in 5 free oil changes and etched windows with certificate for free. I think it was a great deal. I also was offered Platinum Package warrantee 7years 100000mi for $1375; then financing manager and I came to agreement I will pay $1075 for it. Please anyone who bought extended warrantee tell me if I paid a right price for it or not?
  • sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    First, thanks to all who post on here...you info. was very helpful with our purchase.

After test driving the Sienna and Odyssey back to back the previous night we went with the Sienna. The Sienna was simply quieter (considerably less wind and road noise), seats were more comfortable, dash looked better, and stereo system was much better. The back seat on the Ody is a plus, but we can live without it for several thousand dollars less. Sienna is smaller, which is a plus when considering driving and manuevering the vehicle. Considered the '04 Sienna as well, but could not justify paying $5000 more for the upgrades (back seat, motor, etc.)

We went with a LE Sienna with Symphony package, tow, power pass door, side air bags, and running boards. Dealer also agreed to split cost of rear bumper guard (about $37). Paid $23,000 ($2250 below invoice or $5797 below MSRP). Also got the dealer to buy down an interest financing rate with Toyota Motor Corp to 2.9% for 48 months.

After 3 hours of test drive and haggling we came to an agreement, did the paper work and were out the door in another 2 hours or so(I live in Chesapeake, VA). They did charge us $465 in advertising fees which was a regional charge??? We did call another dealer in Richmond and Va Beach (Va Beach dealer also had similar advertising fees) and they could only offer $1000 off invoice plus financing (or additional $1500 off). Bottom line, they couldn't match it or beat it.

x10guy, your friend that got one for $21,888 got a killer deal!...but I did get the financing I wanted too.

Bottom line, I got it for about $23,500 before taxes, title/registration, and processing fees with 2.9% for 48 months.

Very happy customer! Oh, by the way, we love our Sienna!
    I just got an email from a dealer in my area letting me know that there is a $2000 incentive on all remaining 2003 Siennas. I am not sure how this differs from the previous $2000 rebate

There are still deals to be had on 03 Siennas... if you can still find the one you want. The 2004 is bigger and has some really nice features but the 2003 is a very good minivan in it's own right. (reliability, crash worthiness, functionality are all known qualities of the 03).
  • ssriederssrieder Member Posts: 7
    I live in Madison, and we went to Steve Low's Midwest Toyota in La Crosse. The 2 dealers in Madison were unimpressive (to my wife and I) at best and downright sleazy at worst. This seems to be the consensus from those I've spoken to in the area. The people at Midwest were all fantastic! We got our van about 2 weeks ago. They had 3 more almost identical Symphonies at that time. The dealers in the Milwaukee area were all way too slow in responding to me. In fact one sent a first response yesterday! I would highly recommend checking them out. If you want names/numbers just post here with your email again, and I'll pull out the info.

Good Luck,
    Steve

Just passed 1000 miles and still love it.

p.s. I left you a message on the Future Models board.
  • jimmymkejimmymke Member Posts: 13
    Tuesday night we signed the deal for an '03 CE with HX and tow prep. We got it for $21K and change. In our color, too (red). The dealer had amassed about 20+ '03s and was pricing them to move in order to get a better allocation of '04s. Two other dealers we visited couldn't come close enough or had too much extra plastic we weren't willing to pay for (spoilers, consoles, hitch). Will put my own hitch on for a hundred, not $350 or whatever they charge. Anyone done this? am looking for wiring help (where to find the tie-in pigtail, how much that might cost, etc. ). Best to all still looking.
    Jimmy
  • hst1hst1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi there!
    I was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions.... I have never bought a new car before, and I am interested in getting a new sienna ce. I had wanted the side air bags and the traction control, but they told me I could not get it on a 2003 Ce. I am on a limited budget, I am hoping to get the car for under 20,000 with the options and my 1993 honda accord trade.... How much should I be paying, and is there much more room for bargaining for the 2003, as opposed to the 2004, and what is the best value? I live in PA, and it does not seem like most of the dealers here I spoke to were willing to make a huge deal, even for the 2003... Thanks!!!!
    You should make a couple of visits to the dealers and find out what the inventory is left of the 03's. If you can find one in stock that has traction control, your goal should EASILY be attainable. The problem is that Toyota stopped making 03 siennas a while ago so all that is left is what is on the lots. The LE is probably your best bet. I just bought an LE Symphony package (+ Power sliding door and running boards) for $22800 after rebates . My friend got the same LE minus the running boards for $21888. Neither one of us had a trade in. Again, you might have to do alot of searching because 03's are quickly disappearing.

No one knows for sure what the pricing going to be on the 04s yet. But generally expect to pay about $3-4K more.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    x10guy is on the money but from what I have been hearing, the 2004 will be about the same price as the 2003...maybe even a couple hundred lower. Keep in mind tha they will not have the same rebates and incentives that the 2003 have. So expect to pay close to MSRP for the 2004, at least for the first year. REmember the 2004 Sienna has to be competitvely priced against the Odyssey and DC vans.
  • dparlerdparler Member Posts: 22
    Man, if you're on a budget and want a new van for < $20,000 you need the 2003 Sienna CE. There are steep discounts now if you can get a dealer still trying to unload them. The 2004 CE will start at $24K and have little discounts (I would think) in the first few months.
    I agree that the 2003 is a better deal, if I could get a CE with the options I want, but I have not been able to find that... also I figured out if I could get one for 4% over invoice like the guy in NJ, then the 2004 ce with the vsc and airbag package ( option 3) it will end up being around 25,053 with 1200 in taxes and 510 destination charge.... I am not sure if they add other fees into this, maybe I am being too hopeful, I have never bought new before, but for a larger, more stylish car, it may be worth it.. If anyone has any ideas of what else I may be missing in my ball park figure I have, please let me know.. Thanks!!!
  • danhirschdanhirsch Member Posts: 20
    I bought the last of the 2001 Camrys just when the new bigger 2002s were released. While I got a great deal on my car - under 17k for a loaded Camry, as it was the last 2001 on the lot, I still get Camry envy when I see the new one. I know with my brain that I did right, but my heart cries a little to see that larger, more powerful, more luxurious Camry next to me.

I am in the process of trading in the 1998 Sienna for a 2004, and am probably over paying. I am taking those few thousand dollars I saved on the Camry and putting it in the Sienna.
    "If anyone has any ideas of what else I may be missing in my ball park figure I have, please let me know.."

My friend went to test drive a new 04 Sienna LE with the basic option package (power sliding door, upgraded sound system, other minor stuff). The MSPP was around $25,500. He could have bought it right then, but he passed since he is looking for an XLE. The CE will be even less (probably around $23K)

Now that the 04's are out, I would definitely not pay anything over $20K for a basic 2003 CE or anything over $23K for a well equiped 2003 LE. These are just ball park figures. If you can't find a 2003 with all the features you want at the price you want, I suggest you get an 2004 CE.
    Hi Dan,
    Thank you for responding to me the other day... is this the same dealer that originally offered you 4% over invoice? Did you originally buy your other car there, so you got a repeat discount?
    Yes - it is the same dealer - the original offer was on a LTD which we decided we didn't need. So I agreed to 5% on the XLE, which saves a good deal of money, but we lose some "luxury" features. Anyways, I can deal with the 1% - about $280, if it saves $3000.

I spoke to the salesman yesterday who appreciates me sending business his way, but he did tell me that he agreed at that price only because I am a repeat customer. He also told me that he was willing to give a discount of $500-$700 to people who came to see him. This is actually a different salesperson than the name I gave you - they guy I dealt with originally is only in Used Cars. When I get home, I will send you an e-mail with the new salesman's name. If you called there, you already probably have it.

We picked the Silver Shadow, by the way.
  • spooky04spooky04 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1992 Previa that has been a dream car for the family but it was time to get something bigger and more comfortable. Didn't even consider the Sienna until I found out a new model was coming in 2004. Very glad I waited. Test drove the first one in my area but the dealer could only get $400 below MSRP. Shopped around and found an internet sale for a 7-passenger LE, Silver Shadow paint, FE, and BW options for $26,900 (MSRP $27,665). Dealer threw in the Z1 and WH components (MSRP of $279). So I was able to get about $1,000 below MSRP for the dealers first sale of a 2004 Sienna. Technologies sure have changed in 12 years. MSRP on the 1992 was $21,545.
  • joannesvan1joannesvan1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new '03 XLE with LL, HD, UF, EM for $26,500 (MSRP was around $32,700)so that's $6,200 off MSRP including incentives. This deal was at Naperville Toyota in Illinois. They were very pleasant to deal with. Some nice deals out in this area now if you can find any '03's left. This dealer still has a few left. Love the van. Saw the new '04. Very nice, but no buyers remorse with the deal I was able to get. P.S. Had to pay cash to get this deal.
    I keep hearing about people buying from fleet dealerships and getting 2% over invoice for the 2004 siennas. What are fleet dealerships and how are they different from regular dealerships, if it is such a great deal, why doesn't everyone buy from them? Also I am in PA does anyone know if they have one near there? Thanks!!!
  • familyof4familyof4 Member Posts: 2
    I too would like to find out about these Fleet Dealerships. Are they like a CarsD_____.com? I went to my local dealer this afternoon to check out the '04 Sienna and they wouldn't budge from MSRP. I'm in PA and would love to make a sweet deal to drive one of these home.

Info on Fleet Dealerships or dealers in the Philly/KOP area that will negotiate under MSRP is welcomed! Thanks!
  • dyh555dyh555 Member Posts: 30
    I live in the same area kop..... spoke to tricounty toyota .. they want msrp.. best I got was 200 below!
    I picked up the 2004 XLE yesterday for 5% over invoice. (that's 1800 under MSRP). The one we got is the XLE with FR only. This includes heated leather seats, 17" alloy wheels, vehicle skid control, rear disc brakes, w/s wiper de-icer, daytime running lamps, driver, front passenger and side curtain airbags - almost base XLE except for the safety features and leather seats....

I love the new power - there is some hesitation at first, but supposedly, this goes away - I also have no idea of what type of fuel the dealer put in - I know they recommend Super.

The comfort level is amazing - I sat in the third row and was very comfortable, even sitting in between my girls in their car seats (albeit I am only 5'6"). There was no "bounce" like in the 1998 Sienna. There is also more room to walk around than in the older Sienna.

The biggest surprise about the Sienna?

1) The size of the "trunk" area - deep and wide - very spacious - a huge difference from the older Siennas. Here in New Jersey, you could fit two or three "former associates" in that area, Tony.
    2) Even the XLE and Limited does not come "standard" with floor mats, or cargo net. How can you spend $31000 and not have them throw in a floor mat? Nor are mudflaps standard.
    3) None of the models come with an ashtray - or lighter - this is a $50.00 "accessory". I don't smoke, so I don't care, but this was a first for me.
    4) How easy it is to turn - I find it being almost too easy to turn, and I'm not used to the shortened turn radius - this will, of course, change in time. So far, I have not parked close to anyone yet.... Also, it makes me wonder how rollable it is - the turning radius is so sharp, won't it be easier to roll? Just wondering - I'm not about to try... :)
    5) The sunshades are a little cheap. The sunshades that are built it will go before the car is a few years old. They don't seem sturdy at all - they will probably be expensive to replace. The girls like them a lot, though, as they do the windows that open (and we like that we can lock them closed)
  • familyof4familyof4 Member Posts: 2
    Dan...from which dealer in Jersey did you get your new Sienna for 5% over invoice?
  • keith134keith134 Member Posts: 18
    I need to buy a minivan due to an expanding family and am trying to decide between the Odyssey and Sienna. None of the Honda dealers are willing to give more than $500 off MSRP and the Toyota dealers want MSRP. Can anyone help? I don't want to have a car shipped from more than one state away, ie Bedford, Ohio is out of the questions. thanks
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    Dan more importantly, can any of us walk in and get the same discount as you? I have heard of dealers giving better discounts to return customers. Are you a returning customer to that dealer?
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I an my family just test drove the 2004 Sienna today. We love the car and we will trade our Odyssey for it.

We are in Boston area. The dealer quoted $26690 for this LE (8 seater) with P/W, P/L, CD, A/C and power sliding doors. There is no window sticker and it was the only one in the dealer. Is this the MSRP? We first hated it because we have enough problem with the power sliding doors on Odyssey. We found out the power sliding doors can be operated manual. I mean, you can have the car in "D" and still open the doors. We like the operation of the 3rd seat.

The dealer also showed us some production info. We first interested in CE (the website shows from $23K). But they told 47% of the Sienna production will be LEs. Only 5 to 10% for CE with some packages. Is this mean long wait and paying MSRP? We are in Boston, MA area.
    Yes, I was a repeat buyer, but I'm not sure that thisis the reason I got a good deal - I just made it very clear that I was ready to wait - I went in, showed great interest - made them aware I wanted to buy THEIR product, but also made them aware I was going to pay MY price, and I made it clear that I had no qualms about walking away from the deal. In fact, after they lowballed me on my trade (offered me $8800 on my Sienna), I told them to refund my deposit and gave them my credit card to run the refund. That got the manager over to deal with me in a flash. I got what I wanted and paid what I wanted to pay, and they sold a van and are first in line for the next set of vans. What they lose in margin they will make up in volume. If they won't deal, they won't get volume.

The funniest thing is that Route 22 Toyota, who on Friday told me that they would not sell at less than MSRP, called me and offered a deal at less than MSRP, but I told them that they lost a sale when Daniella told me that they wouldn't even consider going under MSRP....

Remember - show interest and they will come down. If not now, then in a week or two or three ...., but pay what YOU want to pay.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    FWIW - I live in Apple Valley...
    You will not find an ODY for much under sticker. I have not talked to any of the Metro dealers since March 11 (the 04 Sienna release), however, until Toyota starts getting "volume" to their dealerships, you can expect to play the MSRP game... I have found a dealership in the Chicago that will sell an Ody for 2K under MSRP. I think, however, I will hold out for the Sienna - was at the auto show last night. Comfort for comfort, the Sienna is the hands down winner. Ody has maturity going for it (bugs out of the engine/transaxle) and Sienna might have to prove to me (for a few months anyway) that their new 3.3L V6 and 5 Speed Tranny will hold up. This, to me, simply means I have to buy an extended warranty...

Good Luck!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
    Just found the invoice for the LE 8 passengers with LE Package #1. It is $22479.00 (with dest. charge). The MSRP is $24920.00. I can see my dealer quoted me over MSRP. They quoted $26690.00
    One dealer also quoted $25926.00 which is $804 over MSRP. They said the price is included floor mats and AM Package. And what is AM Package? Any idea some dealers will sell this below MSRP?
  • judyk2judyk2 Member Posts: 4
    I contacted a dealer in gaithersburg maryland and he said, "expect prices to normalize over the next several weeks. Right now, there are a large number of buyers chasing a very limited number of vehicles. As this changes, when inventories of 2004 Siennas rise relative to the numbers of people interested in purchasing them, prices will drop".

I really appreaciate these discussion groups. Thanks!
    When I was in the dealer, they showed me a list for the Sienna production from Feb to April. It's about 47% for LE and CE is about 5 to 10%. The Kelly Blue has the invoice info for the Sienna. But we expect to pay MSRP.
    We have MSRP and invoice pricing here too. The interesting number though is the TMV one. It's pegged at MSRP - that's good for a new model since for some models (and in better economic times?) the TMV has floated higher than MSRP.

Current TMV projections are pretty squirrely though since few sales numbers will have trickled in. The big question is whether the TMV will stay at MSRP or go down.

Steve, Host