Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real world gas mileage for sedans

Comments

• miagarfuncklemiagarfunckle Member Posts: 51
    I have owned many cars and live currently in Arizona and noticed that when summer begins and the temps get to 100+ that my gas mileage regardless of which car drops 3-5 mpg. When the temps are below 75 or so I can use the a/c all the time same as summer but the mileage drops very little. My current car a 96 Toyota Tercel was getting about 39 in mixed driving with a/c about 70% of the time and my family in it. Now with temps in the 100 and 110's I use the a/c 100% of the time and have dropped from 39-40 to 35-36.
    I want any other arizonans or anyone else in extreme heat areas to tell me the difference in their mileage when the heat begins and also what is worse the hot air or the a/c?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Someone is (again) trying to address at least some of these issues:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/220458_mileage16.html

- Ray
    Happy to achieve EPA - occasionally. . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • stlouis1stlouis1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I also have a 2000 Saturn SL which I purchased about one year ago for 2,400 dollars with 139,000 miles on it. This car is incredible! While it had obviously been well maintained both mechanically and asthetically the mileage is truly unbelievable. I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil, the engine is as smooth as any New car with a four cyclinder engine. I routinely get 39-42 mpg combo. city/highway driving (mostly short city trips) but on two occasions this summer I accurately checked my mileage during a 240 miles round trip to a fishing destination and both times the mileage exceeded 46 miles per gallon. The second time my Step Father rode along with me to verify it Only because he didn't believe I could get over 46 mpg, the second trip when he accompanied me I averaged 47.3 miles per gallon using the air conditioner and driving an average speed of around 78 miles per hour, which as you know is pushing this little car to maintain such a speed. I also have manual transmission, no power steering, etc.. the light in the factory radio has burned out but besides that the car is flawless. I will drive this thing until it falls apart, insurance is 35 dollars per month and unparalleled gasonline mileage. I am not exagerrating this mileage at all, nor am I crazy, however nobody believes me when I tell them of the mileage. I thought you may want to consider Mobile 1 synthetic oil, possibly check or change your pvc valve/air filter and see if you cannot match the mileage on highway trips. Rather than a "poor mans hybrid" I would call it a "wise mans hybrid" being it costs 20 grand less and many hybrids do not actually exeed the mileage of this car. My Saturn is getting this mileage in lieu of having 149+ thousand miles on it - Just wanted to share my Saturn story with you
  • stlouis1stlouis1 Member Posts: 2
    I'll pass on driving it to, or in Arizona but I own a Saturn that exceeds "mid 30's mpg" in the city and blows it completely away on the highway. It is not fast, I highly doubt it is capable of 120 mph however it is capable of 40mpg city, with ac on high. I bought mine used for $2400 with 139,000 miles on it by the way and we live on the same "planet."
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Averages over about 4k miles:

City: 16-18 mpg
    Highway: 22 mpg (100-110 mph), 25 mpg (70-80 mph), 29 mpg (65-75 mph)

(All figures taken from topping off the tank and dividing miles by gallons used.)
  • okeithokeith Member Posts: 1
    On a recient trip to Atlanta, Ga. (from St. Louis, Mo.) I averaged 57.4 mpg and this was driving at 75-80 mph. I found that I did get better milege with the windows up and the air on than without the air and the windows down. Around town (in St. Louis) I average about 48-50mpg depending on the traffic and at speeds from 40-70.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Member Posts: 559
    2035 mile trip in 29 hours. Three people and luggage for a week. Nearly all freeway with cruise control on at 75 to 80 mph.
    Average miles per gallon for entire trip was 25.80 Car has 10,000 miles on it now.
    I'm very happy with that fuel economy under those conditions.
    3.5 liter motor, 194 horsepower.
  • pimp_dog_179pimp_dog_179 Member Posts: 7
    YAY First post!
    I am a 14 year old(sadly isnt able to drive legally). My dad is planning on changing his '92 Toyota Camry. He isnt really sure on what he wants but he has test drived the Acura TL(Awsome), Infiniti G35(Awsome Car), Nissan Maxima (Not as Awsome car). Im pretty sure y'all are probably thinking why is this guy's son writing this and not him? Well my dad is lazy and i just want to help get his new car since i am a auto freak and i want him to make a good choice. Now back to "choices". Now that the gas price has went up by 30cents+, my dads choices have almost gone to 'step 1'. I would like to know what are your average MPG(or if possible since i am canadian how many liters it takes you to get 100 Km) for these models that i think are smart choices for my dads needs:
    Acura TL
    Infiniti G35x
    2005/6 VW Passat
    Volvo S60
    and Toyota Avalon
    Thanks in advance,
    Tom
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I'll help you and dad out with my 19,500 miles of experience with a 2004 TL 6-speed.

I average approximately 15-17 mpg in moderate city and mixed driving, up to 28-30 mpg on pure highway driving at 70-75 mph. Overall, since I've had the car, I have averaged about 20.3 mpg with a 50/50 mix.

This is not as good as I expected. My TL 6-speed was rated at 20/30. My previous sedan, a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed was rated at 22/27 and managed to get at least 20-22 mpg in the mixed driving and upwards of 27-29 on the highway for an overall average of 23.9 mpg in 153,000 miles. That's nearly 20% better fuel economy than the TL. The TL is more powerful on paper (270 vs. 190 hp), but in reality, not a heck of a lot quicker. The 1995 Maxima was capable fo 0-60 in 6.7; the 2004 TL 6-speed in about 6.2.

So, in summary, I am quite pleased with the TL's 28-30 mpg highway fuel efficiency; but for mixed driving, at least with the 6-speed, 15-17 mpg is below my expectations and well below the EPA rating. In almost all other respects, the TL is a very nice car that I am quite happy with.

I'd convert all of these figures into liters per 100 kilometers for you, but as a dad myself, I am inclined to have you practice your math. Post your answers and I'll let you know if they are correct.

Good luck.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Are you currently shopping for a vehicle? If so, a reporter would like to talk with you to learn how important fuel efficiency is to you as you make your decision.
    Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 14, 2005 with a few thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    >>I'd convert all of these figures into liters per 100 kilometers for you, but as a dad myself, I am inclined to have you practice your math. Post your answers and I'll let you know if they are correct.

LOL! You are just MEAN!! :shades:
    Not cool! lol! Just to please you its in between 11.59L per 100 Km to 11.64L
    per Km. Two answers. Why the first one is an actual conversion i found online
    and the second one is mine done on paper. But if we were to round them they
    would both be 12Lper 100Km... Happy Now!
  • albanytimalbanytim Member Posts: 18
    I have had my '05 TL Auto for 2 weeks (800 miles) and I'm getting 24 MPG overall. It's probably been about 70% highway, 30% city driving.
    I think you may be right, but...which of my various figures did you convert?? the 15-17 city MPG or the 28-30 highway mpg?

Your "grade" is pending. ;)

P.S. If it's any consolation, I credit my 9th grade math teacher for beating (literally) algebra into me (he was also the wrestling / boxing coach) about 35 years ago. I went on to have an easy time in undergraduate and gradute business school and last night picked up a new 911 S convetible. Before my 7 and 10 year old daughters can ride in the back seat, they will have to complete their math homework every night. Exercising your brain now will bring you many good things in the future.
    well i converted your average = 20.3. Actually math is my favourite subject ... the easiest for me. is there even enough space to fit to people in the back seat of a 911 ... well theyre still small but it must be really tight.
  • skiier77skiier77 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I don't know about the brand new models, but I own an '02 Passat 1.8T w/ 5-spd manual and had an '02 TL auto (not the type S). Averaged around 23 mixed in the TL, 31 on pure highway trips (I drove from Eugene, Oregon to Denver round trip twice last summer--averaged 31 mpg and about 85 mph--the final drive ratio is so high w/ the auto, it didn't care how fast I went, it seemed!). Sadly, that car was totaled in January (flipped twice, driver walked away w/o hardly a scratch!).

I commute in the '02 Passat, and get remarkable mileage--I haven't had a tank under 33 mpg, and am usually closer to 35. My commute is 75 miles round trip and 95% freeway, although I climb over an 8000 ft. pass each way (Salt Lake City to Park City, Utah). The '02 Passat is the same as the '05, so that might be some indication. I haven't had a true mixed driving tank yet--I bought the car to commute in, and that's about all I use it for.

Hope that helps...
  • osteoman2osteoman2 Member Posts: 26
    I owned an 04 TL auto for 18 months and averaged between 23-25 mpg on 70%highway and 30% city. Keep in mind Premium unleaded is required.

I just bought (2 weeks ago) a 06 Avalon XLS auto and so far am averaging 26-27 mpg with regular unleaded over the same roads and driving conditions as the TL above.

Hope this helps.
  • edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    My automatic '97 saab 900SE turbo gets between 17-20 city and between 23-27 highway, heavily depending on speed and aggressiveness. I got 29 on one highway trip but the road descended. Average city is high 18's low 19's and I only got 23mpg on a weekend trip recently ( a lot of time time going ~80, though ). The passing power of this car is great once the turbos are wound up.

My auto 89 900S (also turbo) got 23 city and 28-3- highway going at fast speeds. I do drive fast but drive smoothly on the highway.
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    pimp dog wrote:
    Acura TL
    Infiniti G35x
    2005/6 VW Passat
    Volvo S60

With that list, I would also consider the latest Audi A3/A4 and the Jetta (TDI or 2.0TFSI).

I recently drove in the Sierra (high altitude, spirited driving uphill but mostly coasting downhill because of speed limits) with my 2000 V6 Passat AWD Wagon and two friends in other cars (Honda Element and Honda Odyssey). I got above 30mpg average on the trip, the Element got 26, and the Odyssey got 22. And that is including the additional drive train loss with my permanent AWD, and a Yakima 3-bycicle rack (w/o bicycles) on the roof. So, folks, all I can say is don't trust advertised mileage. Until official test procedures improve, ask a lot of trustworthy people what they are getting under similar conditions that you are driving ...

By the way, when the engine is cold and I drive in the city for short distances, I get perhaps 15-18 mpg. Fortunately, I don't do that very often...
  • amoxomaamoxoma Member Posts: 11
    Tom - Owner of a new 2005 Avalon - after 2000 miles of mixed highway and local driving, my overall average is 27 mpg. There is a discussion forum at Edmunds just for Avalon real-world MPG experiences. I believe the Avalon may be the best reasonably large sedan in terms of MPG. I think your dad should check it out.
  • dfc3dfc3 Member Posts: 87
    I've owned a Volvo S60 for the past 2 years; I get about 22 MPG city and 32 MPG highway.
  • garrityk84garrityk84 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am giving a speech on the gas price crisis. I am looking for the average miles/gal for vehicles driven in the United States. If anyone knows, please reply and give the source you got the stat from. Thank you
  • 332rick332rick Member Posts: 7
    Thaking a 500 mile trip, on CA, HYW 99 from Stockton to Los Angeles
    My new 2005 XLS Avalon got up to
    34.4 MPG on super unleaded (91) with 4 passangers and luggage.
    not too bad. huh?
    I did take a picture with my cell phone to prove it
    if you guy and gals like to see I will post it soon.
    Like too know if any one has gotten a higher MPG.

Thank's all
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    That is terrific. It is better than the smaller Camry. What kind of mpg do you get with 50/50 city/highway? Is premium unleaded recommended for the Avalon?
    How did you figure the mpg on this trip? Is this from the trip computer or fill-up to fill-up? Thanks
  • taxableabetaxableabe Member Posts: 1
    I love my car im a 17 year old student in central valley, california. I bought a 1998 Honda civic HX, the best gas saving gas engine in the world, its been proven. Its a V-TEC E. E stands for Economy, because it is set to a lean burn. It looks nice cause i have 18" panther intimidator wheels, and the rides nice. Just to let you know, i go over 6000 rpms everywhere, and i still get better gas mileage than your escalade going 20mph, and its true. im not kidding. :)
    Let's see, on a fun challenge, a 14 year old Canadian student was able to correctly convert U.S. MPG to litters per 100 kilometers.

I wonder if a 17 year old "central valley, california" student can figure out his actual MPG, period? It's true. I'm not kidding. ;)
  • polymorphapolymorpha Member Posts: 16
    Just completed one year with a 2004 civic dx. Mileage calculated as total miles driven divided by total gallons consumed. Average was 37.5 mpg. Driving was perhaps 20% highway, 40% city, 40 % country secondary roads.
  • m11kem11ke Member Posts: 3
    I just this car and love it. It has 12,000 miles. I am concerned, however about the mileage. Is it normal for the mpg to read between 15 and 19 in the city? Also, how much on average (miles) should I get per tank? I notice I have to fill up every 300 miles...(city driving mostly).
  • obriend21obriend21 Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am with the 2.4L 4cyl (not the newer Ecotec 2.4) with 4 spd auto over a year ago as a cheap daily commuter. I get about 28 MPG in mix of ~70% city/30% highway. Worst MPG so far is 23 MPG (bad traffic) and best tank was 34 MPG (trip - wife, kid, dogs - all highway) - close to EPA estimates (22/30). I did notice a 1-2 MPG drop when I had my bike rack attached (Thule, 2 bike carriers with fairing), so I took it off.

My wife's 2001 Cherokee (4.0L 6cyl, 4spd auto, 4x4), on the other hand, averages about 19 MPG in the same mix, which goes up to 21-22 on the highway (65-70 MPH) and at worst 10 MPG (mud crawling). There is no difference with roof-rack bike carriers (once a brick, always a brick).
  • catlady44catlady44 Member Posts: 15
    I love the car overall but I am getting terrible gas mileage. It claims to get 22 city 29 highway and while I do 90% of my driving in the city, I am getting only 16 mpg. This is outrageous. I am going to have a fuel consumption test done but what if anything can they do about it. Does anyone know?

catlady 44
    That sounds like great economy. And, your test was meaningful since it was over many tankfuls of gas. How is your car rated by EPA ? Is it an automatic or manual transmission?
  • jencpgirljencpgirl Member Posts: 2
    I consistantly average about 24.5 MPG with a fair mix of city and highway driving, I have done as bad as 21 in the winter months in Chicago, and on an al highway trip I have done 27 mpg. not bad for a mini SUV, but looking for a greener vehicle next time, one that gets over 35 mpg.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    Short answer – my overall average, in 4,769 miles, is 18.66 MPG.
    Best full tank has been 19.78.
    That is calculated (with Excel) not DIC indicated.

Now, the EPA rating for the GXP, as everyone here likely knows, is 18 \ 27.

If I fill my tank, with a warm engine (as I did this morning) and then immediately jump on the Interstate and head from North East of Atlanta toward Mid-Town at 6:00 AM, the DIC (proven fairly accurate) showed 28.2 AVG MPG when I pulled off I85 after approx. 18 miles. That included a couple of short WOT bursts to merge into traffic. Traffic was typical for that time of morning, and the fast lane was moving at 70 to 75 most of the way. A couple of times, I briefly touched 80. A couple of times I needed to slow to 60 or so. [[ NB: The EPA highway test STILL limits vehicles to a ** maximum ** speed of 60 MPH!! ]] By the time I pulled into the parking lot of my office, including a couple of miles of surface streets, the DIC showed exactly 27. Ambient air temp. was below 70 – so I was quite comfortable running with the sunroof open to ‘vent’ and the A/C compressor off. (A/C can cost 1.0 to 1.5 MPG under most driving conditions.)

Point here is that I believe one could achieve very close to (or even more than) the reported EPA highway mileage, IF one drove under essentially the same conditions as the EPA assumes for their testing. (IE: A/C off, do not exceed 60 MPH, travel only on relatively level limited access highways with traffic light enough to not significantly impact speeds.)

In the now current ‘real world’, where speed limits are 70 MPH in many areas outside metro districts, traffic often travels at 75 to 80 MPH in such areas, A/C is much more common (than it was when the EPA test parameters were defined) and on and on – I think 25 MPG would likely be an excellent number to average over a full tank – even one that includes primarily such driving.

My gas mileage ‘problem’ with the GXP is likely 3 pronged:
    [[ Emphasis = MY PROBLEM. Not really the GXP’s problem . . . ]

Prong 0.5 = I live near and commute into Atlanta. Traffic is terrible. (Not quite LA terrible, but really, really bad almost all the time.)

Prong 1 = I am soooo tempted to bury the throttle, to feel and to hear that V8 rumble and rush. I do try to restrict that activity. Sometimes, resistance is futile. I really enjoy it – and even with gasoline prices as they are (and have been recently) it is worth an occasional blast.

Prong 2 = I am afraid that my typical commute just does not allow the DoD feature to engage often enough and \ or long enough to provide much benefit for me. My commute into Mid-Town is typically early enough that I am running 65 to 75 \ 80, but there is enough traffic even before 6:30 that I am rarely running at a steady speed for long. Also, the trip begins and ends at roughly the same elevation, but there is generally up and down all the way – relatively gentle during the Interstate 85 leg, but still not ideal. My trip home in the afternoon is typically too late in the afternoon to be in light to moderate traffic. (sigh) Thus, I am almost certain that I have never been in DoD mode during my afternoon drive home . . . I am either accelerating or decelerating – and I am often in first or second gear from I85 \ I285 (spaghetti junction) to my house. That is 4 to 5 miles. Sometimes the acceleration rate is mild, as all traffic is held back – but that combination of slow \ go \ slow \ stop kills my average.

Prong 3 = When I do cruise in relatively light traffic, as I did driving to Braselton and back this past weekend, I do NOT stay below the maximum speed limit during the EPA highway test (still 60 mph!) that resulted in the 27 MPG rating. Cruising up I85 on Saturday morning and back early afternoon (over 20 miles of Interstate each way) I was running at 75 to 80. As was most other traffic. Clearly, the difference between 60 and 75 \ 80 is non-trivial.

If I am ever able to drive on a relatively level freeway outside metro Atlanta traffic of an extended trip, and I decide to maintain a ‘reasonable and prudent speed’ (below 80 MPH) I expect that I can average 25 or so MPG. If I can set the Cruise Control & maintain a steady speed and the roads are relatively level. We’ll see. I don’t expect to have an opportunity until Thanksgiving weekend (planning a run to see friends in the Florida Panhandle) to run for a long distance away from the typical traffic in and around Atlanta.

- Ray
    Overall, still quite content . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    My 2005 Civic EX sedan automatic gets about 35 MPG HWY / 33 City Mixed 30 City with the A/C on, using 87 oct. Considering real world mileage for hybrids is in the mid 40's at best, I consider anyone buying a Prius or Civic hybrid as having failed an intelligence test.

My 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport automatic gets about 17.5 mixed mostly city with the A/C on, uses 92 oct.
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    I've been getting mid-high 60's MPG most of this summer, and my lifetime is 60.
    My record tank was 941 miles and 69.2MPG, calculated.

Not bad for a 5 passenger 4 door car!
    Based upon my experience, one should NOT have to baby your car to achieve the EPA highway estimates. Here are my last 5 cars, with results for a 375 mile highway drive between DC and Northeastern PA (i.e. includes hilly terrain along PA turnpike)

1) 1995 Nissan Maxima SE 5-speed - rated 22/27: After 11 years and 155k miles I still get 28-29 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph with A/C on.

2) 2002 Honda S2000 - rated 20/26: Only did the trip twice, averaged 29-32 mpg on each of the 4 legs. On the last one, got 31.2 mpg for a 240 mile stretch going 75+ mph with the A/C on and top down.

3) 2004 Acura TL 6-speed - rated 20/30: Average 29-31 at 75 mph, A/C on

4) 2005 Acura MDX - rated 17/23: Average 22.5 - 24 at 70-75 mph, A/C on and fully loaded.

5) 2005 Porsche 911 S Cab - rated 19/26: I'll let you know after this weekend. Only has 1,200 miles so far, so not fully broken in.

In each of the first four cars above, I usually match or beat the EPA estimate at 70+ mph. Doesn't seem to depend on A/C use, since some of my best mpg has been in the summer. The Honda S2000 was easily capable of beating the highway EPA rating by 20% at average speeds approaching 80 mph.

If your car is not getting the highway EPA under normal highway driving, either something is wrong with the car, or the EPA estimate was an overstatement.
  • mistermemisterme Member Posts: 407
    Sorry I forgot to mention my car is an '04 CVT based HCH. :blush:
  • jefferygjefferyg Member Posts: 418
    My wife and I just traded our civic for an 06 Passat. The Civic with automatic transmission never got less than 29 in town and averaged 35-37 on the highway. We have gotten as good as 42 on a long trip. I tried higher octane gasoline a couple of times and the car did no better than with regular.

The Passat so far is getting about 23 around town and has shown as much as 33 on the highway, but we've not had it long enough to get a good idea.

We also have an 04 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD with the V6. It stinks. 14.5 around town and 19 on the highway. Best I ever got was 23 on a long trip. If you're shopping for one (or an Explorer), go ahead and get the V8, or buy an Expedition. The bigger SUV will do just as good in 2WD version around town and there is enough room for an adult in the third row.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    17mpg combined driving. That's trying to get good mpg. Rated 17/24.
    Back from my long weekend roundtrip of 900+/- miles. On 375 mile outbound leg, got 25.6 mpg, return leg got 25.2. Average speed was 73 mph, ranging between 65 and 82. Car is rated at 26 on highway, but not fully broken in. Not bad for a very comfortable highway ride in a car capable of 0-60 in 4.2 +/- seconds.
  • polymorphapolymorpha Member Posts: 16
    averigejoe,
    EPA ratings were 38 on the highway and, I believe, 32 in the city. I try to drive in such a way that I avoid much braking, rapid acceleration, etc., consistent with the traffic flow around me, coast occasionally, travel 65-70 on the highway. Highway mileage in this model seems to drop off more rapidly at high speeds than in other cars I have had. The transmission is manual 5-speed. I suspect that a sixth gear would squeeze out a few more highway mpg. I would have preferred to get an HX for the mileage, but they only come in a coupe and I preferred a 4-door. Also very few dealers carried them or showed any interest in ordering one in my area (Mass.). Thanks for your interest.

Polymorpha
    How about those EPA mileage test procedures?

This entry is directly from the 2005 EPA pamphlet:
    Each vehicle in this guide has two fuel economy estimates.
    City represents urban driving, in which a vehicle is started in
    the morning (after being parked all night) and driven in stop and-
    go rush hour traffic.
    Highway represents a mixture of rural and interstate highway
    driving in warmed-up vehicles, typical of longer trips in free flowing
    traffic.
    EPA miles-per-gallon (MPG) estimates are based on lab testing
    and are adjusted to reflect real-world driving conditions for an
    average U.S. motorist. Vehicles are tested in the same manner
    to allow fair comparisons.

According to JOSEPH B. WHITE, Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL:
    The EPA said methodology used to calculate city and highway gasoline mileage estimates includes a highway mileage segment, during which vehicles average 48 miles per hour. The EPA method assumes motorists spend 55% of their time in city driving.

And: The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a Washington-based trade group, spokesman Eron Shosteck said "Current (EPA) test procedures provide motorists with generally reliable estimates of what their gas mileage will be... They take into account various factors that motorists may encounter in typical driving situations, in both city and highway traffic."
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    Whatin the heck is dat?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    23.26 mpg overall for the first 4400 miles. Best highway was 27.5 but more typically around 26. 18-20 around town which I expect to drop when the cool weather moves in. I like the car a lot but I'm quite disappointed in the highway mileage. I was hoping for 28-29 which is what I got on the Olds Intrigue I was driving.
    Can owners of the 2002-2006 Lexus ES give me an idea of the kind of mpg I should get if I decide to purchase one?
  • splatsterhoundsplatsterhound Member Posts: 149
    Saw how high I could nurse my 170,000 plus Olds 88 with the 3800 v6 -- was able to get better than 37 mpg for an afternoon roundtrip two-lane highway drive. Granted, I was very easy on the throttle, but it's still good. I can ALWAYS get 30 mpg or better going 80 mph or less. It's a great car for the highway (thus the mileage). Also, the 37 mpg run was filled up and topped off both before and after until gas was oozing out of filler hole. :blush: Just had to be scientific....The darn olds gets better mileage than my 4 cyl. camry. Go figure.
  • joe369joe369 Member Posts: 61
    Don't sweat it too much.

When doing nearly 100% of city driving, my 1998 Mercury Sable gets around 12-14 mpg (rated for 19/28).

I know there is nothing wrong with the car as I do get close to and sometimes over 28mpg for extended highway driving.
  • nbwnbw Member Posts: 18
    I have less than 1000 miles on my new car, my initial mileage is only up to 21mpg/mainly hiway but the on board computer says my average mph is only 28mph. Guess it could be right.

I have a friend who at 10k miles was getting 27mpg until he reached the 15k mile mark then, it went up to 30mpg with the same driving pattern.

I'm thinking the engine is very tight and efficient so any new engine friction creates drag that will reduce with time.
    Can anyone advise what kind of mpg I could expect on the 2002-2006 Lexus ES330? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.