Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real world gas mileage for sedans

12345679»

Comments

• 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    Just drove my 2006 VW Passat 3.6L from Indy to Philly & back (1300 miles) at the speed limit plus 5. Got 32.3 mpg for the trip.
  • pontiacgtppontiacgtp Member Posts: 15
    2006 VW Jetta TDI Specia Edition
    1.9L Turbodiesel, 6 speed DSG
    75% stop & go city driving in & around the hilly streets ofPittsburgh, 25% highway

Averaging 39 overall which is excellent for mostly city driving. 48mpg on the hilly expressways around western PA & 52 when I'm on the expressways in the flatlands.
  • helpmefindacarhelpmefindacar Member Posts: 14
    Thanks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Try this discussion: Toyota Yaris Real-World MPG.

You should have a look at entire Yaris group. Looks like you've found a couple of the discussions there, but you'll probably see some others that will be helpful as well.

Keep one thing in mind, though - people who are interested in any particular vehicle tend to read all of the discussions about it. So it's not necessary to post the same question in multiple places.

Good luck on making your decision.
  • peraltaperalta Member Posts: 94
    Hard to believe that simply adjusting your driving habbit dictated by feedbacks from scan gauge can improve fuel efficiency that much. It did to me and now I have scan gauge in all my 3 cars.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Car: 2006 Acura TL (Auto), 28K miles
    Terrain: Reasonably Flat
    Weather: Mostly hot and humid (as can be expected in Texas)
    Distance: 695 miles (Dallas to Houston to East Texas to Dallas)
    City/Highway Mix: 20/80
    Overall Average Speed: 54 mph (Indicated, includes City driving)
    Highway Average Speed: 72 mph (Indicated)
    Overall Mileage: 29.1 mpg (Calculated)

Car: 1998 Honda Accord EX-L (Auto), 180K miles
    Terrain: Reasonably Flat
    Weather: Mostly hot and humid (as can be expected in Texas)
    Distance: 549 miles (Dallas to Houston to Dallas)
    City/Highway Mix: 5/95
    Overall Mileage: 31.2 mpg (Calculated)
    Overall Average Speed: 73.1 mph (Calculated)
    Although not by 25%, trip computer has certainly helped, in my TL. My typical driving involves 50-50 city/highway split. The worst tank ever (calculated and indicated) was at 23 mpg. The norm had been 24 mpg. This is with lead-footed driving.

I started to note that by being light footed (but not slow), I could get 32-33 mpg going about 72 mph. I did notice that lead-footed starts didn’t impact fuel economy as much as accelerating and braking too much. That led to learning a way to now average 26 mpg on a consistent basis under the same driving conditions. I’m actually disappointed if my trip computer shows 25 mpg at any point. Calculate mileage has consistently been 25.5-26.2 mpg since my discovery.

If not for virtually daily traffic jams, I might be able to average 27 mpg, something I have never achieved even in my four-cylinder Accord (rated 23/30 in its day, compared to 20/29 mpg for the TL). I do get 25-26 mpg in my Accord with aggressive driving (the kind that gets 24 mpg in the TL).

This started when I got a TSX for loaner. I averaged 62 mph on my drive from the Acura dealership to home, and the trip computer showed 35.7 mpg. I said to myself, “Wow” (I never got a chance to calculate mileage because I didn’t drive a full tank). And that got my learning with the TL.

And now, I’m trying to maximize mileage while also trying to maximizing average speed. The best number came from last road trip in my TL, 72 mph and 31 mpg. And that average speed includes some city driving and slower highway driving (60-65 mph).

I do notice increased drop in mileage. I get about 28 mpg at 80 mph, down from 32 mpg at about 72-73 mph. Another discovery: The best mileage happens with speed ranging from 40-45 mph to 70-75 mph.
    Today, I decided to play a little to see what kind of mileage I can get in my 2006 TL by keeping speed strictly between 60 and 65 mph. I was expecting 32-33 mpg, but was shocked to see trip computer report 36 mpg after ten miles (it was flirting with 37 mpg at times). The terrain was relatively flat (minor hills) and calm weather (almost no wind).

I hope to get a chance this weekend to see if the same holds true over a longer distance. And will try to carry my camera to take a picture of the trip computer to post here.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I believe 37 for a TL. My 2007 I4 Accord stick got 43.8 mpg over a 520 mile trip going 60 mph.

Lowering your speed is the key to better mpg :)

and less money to terrorists. :surprise:
    Lowering your speed is the key to better mpg

Indeed. Observations in my TL...
    60-65 mph: 36 mpg
    70-75 mph: 32 mpg
    75-80 mph: 28 mpg

Mileage drops rather quickly above 75 mph.
  • tlworkroomtlworkroom Member Posts: 9
    I'm 57 and don't drive very hard, but even I was surprised how much better my mpg became when I slowed taking off from stoplights. Using very steady gas pedal, I improved by 2-3 mpg. I found out a very long time ago that acceleration can be very successful with extremely little push on the pedal.
  • amissneramissner Member Posts: 15
    2007, Automatic. 60hwy/40city.

Get almost exactly 20MPG every tank
This discussion has been closed.